Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1415161718Last >>
Author Topic:
Perathion
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Elvish Armoury (free) (keep)
on: April 17, 2004 03:07
Perathion just nodded at Celebros' message and smiled at Quarion,before he said "You are lucky not knowing what a Balrog is.Its the most fell monster that ever walked on Middleearth.It is said that Balrogs were once Maias,but were corrupted by Melkor and turned into giant fire monsters.Against them elf,man or dwarf are chanceless."
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 19, 2004 02:44
"It still sounds very much like what I know as a Balor. I've seen enough of them in my life. The priestesses amongst my kind enjoy summoning them and other demonic creatures in the bitter inter house civil wars and power stuggles." he smiled "Even so I could be wrong. Please continue on with your story Hamen, Damen."
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: April 21, 2004 04:28
Smiling and nodding to Celebros, Elerrina messaged him, ~~ Yes, he certainly does! I guess I didn't realize he missed the underground that much...~~

"Aye, we do use light," Damen began. "Our vision in the darrrk is good, but not that good! The fine crrraftsmenship of stone and the mining of metals takes both light and knowledge. Even in the old Moria, we had many shafts which brought light to the middle and upper levels, and on the lower levels we used lamps and mirrors where needed. How else could the beauty of our halls be seen?"

"And the Orcs and Trolls hate light," Hamen added, nodding to Quarion. "It is even more a prrroblem, though, to move the old air out and new air in to breathe. Tending the fresh air shafts was my job since I am smaller than most of my kin. We found out long ago that burrrning lamps in the small caverns used up the air somehow, but the heat of the lamps rising would bring in frrresh air if there was a way for it to find its way in. So in that way, I suppose the way of your kind has its advantages, too." Hamen sighed, "Though, I would miss the sun if I could not see her..."

Damen nodded his head and added, "And Balrogs seem to know no fearrr of light or darkness. I have heard they were driven to the depths of the mountains to hide from annihillation during the time when the Elves tended the earth, even the trrees... and the gods still spoke with them. Ah, well, if you can rrrid our mountain and halls of any mischief makers, we would appreciate it..." Damen and Hamen nodded at the same time, solemnly, desiring above even the riches of New Moria, to never hear the sounds of drums in the deeps of their new mountain home.
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 21, 2004 06:30
"So you really mean that I can come and use my spells on what ever nasties happen to be lurking?" he grinned, flexing his fingers

"Going back to the air shafts, you mean you don't make use of the naturally occuring subterrenean winds? I'll have to show you and your kin how to harness them at some point, saves digging shafts."

~~Nor I,~~ Celebros replied ~~Who knows at the rate he's going he may end up as a non-dwarf resident of New Moria.~~
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: April 22, 2004 04:10
Elerrina grinned back at him. ~~ You know that could be the perfect solution for them both... Quarion could become the Protector of New Moria! ~~ She laughed with delight as she messaged him. "Yes!" She said aloud, "and the Dwarves could gain a new element of arcane knowledge. Anything that would keep the evils confined to the Deeps or destroyed, and add both Elvish and Dwarvish craftmanship to the now small supply of Mithril, that would be a plus in Middle Earth."
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 23, 2004 02:30
"What was that Elerrina?" Quarion asked sounding a little confused "What were you talking about?"

"Well tell him love." Celebros smiled
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: April 27, 2004 07:48
Elerrina smiled at the Drow, then at the two brothers, the Dwarves.

"Well, it seems an obvious match," Elerrina said. "New Moria needs a protector from the evil that has taken to the deepest caverns and shafts... and Quarion is... um, well, homeless. Perhaps fate has taken a hand to provide the Dwarves with a strong, knowledgeable Protector, and Quarion may have found a subterranean home by far more beautiful and welcoming than the home he once had... one where he is appreciated..." she added, looking from Quarion to Damen and then Hamen. "Each can teach the other... each can learn. Well, what do you think?"

Hamen and Damen looked at each other, and their beards began to wag up and down as they both nodded slowly, just a bit at first, then rather wildly as the benefits sunk in. Elerrina had to stifle a giggle again. She looked at Quarion, who had an almost stunned look on his face... "Well?"" She prompted again.
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 27, 2004 09:36
"I'm stunned." Quarion said "I'd love a new subterranean home and New Moria sounds perfect but how will the rest of the dwarven population take my presence? That's my main concern."

"I'm sure they'll get used to your presence once Hamen and Damen tell them that you are not a threat but a friend." Celebros grinned
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: May 03, 2004 08:13
"We'd be glad to give your people any reassurances they might need about Quarion, Hamen," Elerrina said.

He looked at her, then smiled slowly. "I'm sure they would mean more to the Elders if they were delivered by your lips, fair lady." He looked at Celebros with the slightest of frowns, as if he were in the way, but then his glance softened again. Of course, such a Lady as she would already have a consort of her own kind, he thought to himself and sighed. Ah well, the other Lady Elf was said to be beautiful as well, and very talented in all things magical. He sighed again... and noticed Damen was looking at him with a peeved expression. "I mean,ah... simply your words would reassure them, m'lady..." he trailed off.
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 06, 2004 01:29
"When will I be permitted to join you two in New Moria?" Quarion asked

**Celebros hugged Elerrina a little tighter**
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 08:33
Elerrina smiled up at Celebros, whose love she treasured, and understood his protective stance with her (in front of the two Dwarves). She turned back to Damen to see when guests might be allowed, and watched the hurried consultation of the two brothers as they put their heads together once more.

"Well... perrrhaps we will be ready in as few as 2 weeks," Damen said. "Mind you, though, the Grrreat Hall will not be finished, nor many other parrrts of our city, but we will build you a suite for you to call your own... anything you need, just let us know, and it will be yours!"

"And you will be welcomed by our bretheren with open arms, if you can rid our city, our home, our New Moria, of these foul creatures!!" Hamen chimed in enthusiastically.

Damen gave his brother a slightly sour look, as if he thought his enthusiasm was running too far ahead of the realities, but then he smiled. His own estimate of when the mine would be ready for 'company' was rather optimistic as well... but he saw no reason to hold back on permission to visit. The help of the Drow would be greatly appreciated by all the Dwarves... no one would nay-say help against the horrors that would surface from the deepest Deeps, were they unprotected.

"Aye," Damen said again, "two weeks should do it. You all may visit, those who wish to... we will have to meet you at the outer gate though. We do not dare leave it open yet... when you strike the roadway, all you have to do is follow it to the gate. Ye cannae miss it..."

Hamen nodded agreement, already looking to Quarion as their Protector.
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 15, 2004 02:49
"I do have one request." Quarion said "That the dwelling created for me be without windows, The light hurts my eyes, anything brighter than a candle and it can be rather painful."

**Quarion was sort of randomly twitching probably out of excitement. He was loking forwards to beating the crud out of these horrors that dwell in the deeps**

"Which road do we need to follow? I'm not one for following roads so I generally do not know where most roads lead." Celebros laughed
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 06:19
"Ye cannae miss it... just head for the face of the mountain. There is a brrroad rrridge that sticks out like a frrront porrrch," Hamen said, with many rolling r's and a little extra moisture in his excitement. "Or a nose!!" Damen added with a laugh and more wags of his beard. "And the rrroad comes there frrrom either dirrrrection, so it would be verrrry hard to get lost, laddie..." he added to Celebros.

Elerrina nodded. "I think I know the place, though I haven't been by there for some years."

Damen looked back to Quarion, who was still looking concerned about his accomodations. "We can make it exactly how you wish it to be, Master Quarrrion. It will be underground, of course, but we need not install any light shafts. How much rrroom do ye think ye need? We can give you as much as you wish! Do you need furrrniture? A bed? Table and chairs? Shelves or trrrunks for your... ah, magical things?"

Damen was obviously anxious to please the Archmage Drow. and it would be easier to build the proper accomodation rather than have to modify it later. He was looking forward to Quarion's coming... it would be such a relief to all the Dwarves to be safe from the horrors that plagued them from the depths of the mountain. As he waited for Quarion's answer, he sighed... safety had seemed impossible, now it would be a reality for the Dwarves of New Moria. They could mine the True Silver they loved in peace. He sighed again, and a smile gently lit his face. He was glad they had come, grateful for Elerrina's hospitality to all Races. She made everyone feel welcome...
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 22, 2004 03:07
"At least one of us does." Celebros smiled "I still recon I'd get lost."

"Yes, I do need furniture and thank you for offering. As for the shelves and chests they would be a very good idea. I have a good few hundred books or more dotted around various places in Fangorn for safe keeping, I must go and retrieve them at somepoint with my other magical belongings. Speaking of chest I think two would suffice. I do have one other request in regards to furniture. I need two tables as opposed to just one, one as your average writting desk the other must be resistant to even the strongest of acids, for its on that table I'll set up my alchemical lab, which is also hidden away in Fangorn. I have no furniture of my own so I leave the rest up to you. Surprise me and my familiar. One other thing my new home needs to be snake friendly, to allow her to get around easily and without spider motifs. I hope its not too much to ask for." he smiled
**he touched a hand to his familiar who had coiled around his neck to look like an amulet.**
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: May 24, 2004 12:49
"Sn- snake friendly?" Hamen questioned with a quaver in his voice. "I dinnae know about a snake... " he looked rather fearfully at the black snake.

Elerrina had handled it slightly before, and it was somewhat accustomed to her presence. She put her hand out to the 'amulet', and it uncoiled slightly, sampling her heat and scent with its flickering tongue. Ele reached out slowly with one finger and brushed down its clean, slippery scales. The snake did not object, but uncoiled slightly more to rub against her hand. "She's really very pretty and calm," Elerrina said quietly, "And she'll help keep your tunnels free of vermin. She'll hunt mice and rats and even some insects, too. Isn't that right, Quarion?"
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 25, 2004 05:54
"Indeed so, I can't think of anything else she would rather eat. The only worry I have about here is that she'll get a little on the plump side." he laughed

**he uncoiled her from around his neck and held her out infront of Hamen. She flicked her tongue at him tasting his scent**

"You can hold her if you want Hamen, she won't bite you."
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 04:14
Since Hamen was showing some reluctance as to touching Quarion's familiar, Damen reached out slowly and let the snake's black, shiny eyes turn to him. "Does she have a name?" He asked as he offered his small hand to her to 'sniff', much as he would a strange dog.

The snake, for her part, flicked her tongue a few times, then stretched out toward him. Damen was not afraid, but a bit cautious as he offered his hand steadily toward her. The snake's black head wavered as she moved toward the proffered hand, then she moved across to lay across his hand for a moment before coiling loosely about his wrist and forearm.

Damen looked quite pleased that his bravery had been met with such aplomb by the snake, but the weight of her was such that he lowered his arm to the table to support her. "My she is really quite heavy, isn't she? I'm glad she doesn't bite!"

The black eyes were looking toward Damen's long and full beard, and Quarion thought it better if he brought her back before she decided to investigate, so he reached out and gently picked her up again.
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 05:38
"She does but it has no translation into the common tongues, not only that is unpronouncable to those who cannot speak her mother tongue and yes she is rather heavy but then again she is rather old and magical in origin."

**She went back to her perch around his neck**
Perathion
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 06:54
Perathion watched Damen's interaction with the snake in wonder.He didn't care much for snakes,but it was obvious to him that this one wasn't dangerous,it looked tame.So it made him feel less uncomfortable."How long have you had her Quarion?",he asked,wanting to take his attention off the reptile with the black eyes still.
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 06:23
"Hmmm from about a week after I began my study of magic." Quarion replied "and before you ask no I don't remeber how many years ago that was." he laughed
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: June 04, 2004 05:10
"As I recall, Quarion," Elerrina said, "You said once that she will attack only those you tell her to, or in defence of herself or you. And that she does hunt, of course, but does she like any , ah... 'people-food' of any sort?"

She knew the snake was very special, to be a 'familiar' to an archmage... whatever that entailed. Hmm...

"Just what does she do for you, Quarion?" Elerrina added, giving him a somewhat puzzled look.
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 02:27
"Yes, that is true as for hunting she isn't physically able to swallow anything larger than a say a foot long lizard and even then she onely eats them if she has to. Her prefered foods are mice, rats and the odd oversized insect. As for what she does for me its very hard to explain it is almost as if she is part of me. Do you understand what I'm trying to say, a sort of one entity but in two bodies. Quite a hard concept to grasp I know but its the best way I can describe it. She's like a seocnd pair of eyes, a constant companion, a friend to converse with when I can't sleep at night, she's almost like a sister to me despite her reptilian origins." Quarion replied
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: June 10, 2004 04:36
Elerrina considered that pensively for a few minutes, thinking about her relationships. She had close relationships with not only Elves and her horses, but also with Men, Hobbits and even a young eagle. After a few minutes, she nodded slowly and said to Quarion, "She is almost your mate, in a way, and in a way even more than that. When I think of Celebros, our relationship is that way... especially now that we can mind-talk together. Unlike Celebros and me, though, you also have an advantage in being diffferent species: you both have different physical capabilities that broaden your range of understanding the world around you."

She looked around the campfire, the sparks were still climbing the ladders of smoke and drifting upward. It was fully night now, and the hour must have been quite late, but the conversation had been interesting, and no one seemed sleepy, even the Dwarves.

Reaching over, she took Celebros' hand again. ~~ You are much like that to me, my love.~~ Then her eyes crinkled slightly as she smiled, ~~ But much more fun to both be of the same species and a romantic, loving species at that! ~~

((OOC- My apologies for not posting very much... I'm just getting started at moving again, so the next 2 months will be hectic and busy. Things should be settled down the first of August, though, and I'll try to post as much as I can. Thanks for being so patient.))

[Edited on 6/10/2004 by Elerrina]
Perathion
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2004 04:53
"There's just one thing that puzzles me..",said Perathion suddenly,"..since you and the snake are obviously inseparable,how do you manage having her near Hwest when you visit Elruwen?As far as I know,snakes and eagles have never been friends and although your snake is not just an ordinary snake,Hwest IS an ordinary eagle."
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 11, 2004 11:02
"Don't jump to conclusions Perathion, Hwest isn't as normal as you think he and Naur spend hours in long mental gossip sessions." Celebros laughed

"She just hides herself away out of Hwest and harm's way. Its quite simple really." Quarion replied

~~Agreed my sweet.~~ Celebros replied, kissing her ear
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: June 15, 2004 06:16
Elerrina smiled at Perathion's comment, too. "How many 'ordinary' eagles do you know who hang out with Elves or Men, my friend? Only a relative few are capable of forging an emotional bond with an Elf, much less a Man. I have known horses, though, who had as strong a bond as Elencara and I do, and with a Man... strong enough you'd think they could mind-speak."

She shook her head at the idea of an eagle voluntarily taking up with an Elf at all... but the young eagle she and Celebros had found had done just that with her. He had literally 'followed her home' when its own parents had disappeared. And at that, Hwest was 'babysitting' the youngster, helping him learn to hunt for himself.

"It's really pretty amazing, when you think about it..." she finished.
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 15, 2004 09:15
"I agree with you there completely Elerrina." Quarion said "But then come think of it you can't really define normal or ordinary can you?"
**he was starting to turn the conversation a little more philosphical, he enjoyed a good philosphical discussion every now and again.**
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: June 16, 2004 05:50
"Well," Elerrina responded, "there are definitions for ordinary and normal, but it certainly varies from one place to another. I think the problems start when people begin to think of their 'normal' as the only one which is 'right'." She paused a moment as the black snake uncoiled partially, then re-coiled after testing the air with her tongue. "How did you find her, your familiar, Quarion? Or did she find you? Do all of your kind... I mean Drows who are Mages... have snakes as familiars? Or is there a preference for certain animals at all? I guess the question is about 'what's normal' again." She found this conversation interesting as well, both philosophical and informative.
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 16, 2004 12:21
"The other problem is when people....like drow matriarchs, start declaring that their idea of 'normal' is superior and thus that they are superior. Well it all starts off when a mage summons his familiar, it is the first thing he learns to do. He does not know what his familiar will be until it arrives. In my case my summons were answered by a snake...its odd but I can't really explain it in any other way. As for familiars amongst drow mages mine is unique. Most familiar tend to b giant spiders with the odd Eyeball beholderkin, imp or other subterreanen dwelling creature." Quarion replied "And in the majority of cases the familiar is just as, if not more, evil than the mage, the mages themselve are termed, dark or black mages because of they're love of working evil with their powers."
Perathion
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2004 01:53
Perathion just shrugged at Elerrina's question that challenged his notion that Hwest was an ordinary eagle."Well,what I meant was that he WAS,or is an eagle and eagles hunt and fight against all kinds of reptiles for reptiles are all said to be the creatures of Melkor and eagles were sent by Manwë himself to fight Melkor's creatures." He stopped there for he was careful not to provoke Quarion or his companion who seemed to understand them.

After a pause,he asked "Just how and when did this unlikely partnership between Hwest and Elruwen really begin?"
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: June 18, 2004 05:01
"Yes, I'd like to hear that story, too," Elerrina added. "We've always been so busy, I've never had the chance to ask your mother about how she and he got together in the beginning. Do you know, Celebros?"

Elerrina had always felt a sense of awe at the huge bird, especially after he had carried her one time in a search for the missing Elruwen, who had been captured by the giant spiders of Mirkwood (on another Quest, another thread). She had always felt a friendship for Hwest after that.

((OOC- Mistakes happen... especially when we're all playing more than one character. My most humble apologies... ))

[Edited on 6/24/2004 by Elerrina]
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 20, 2004 02:25
((OOC: how many times do I have to remind you guys that Elruwen is beavering away at the armoury and not present at the campfire?))

"Errr who are you talking to because mother isn't here." Celebros said looking puzzled.
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: June 24, 2004 05:19
"Oh, sorry, love... I must have been thinking about her and said her name instead of yours... I meant you, of course..." Elerrina answered him. "Do you know how Elruwen and Hwest came together in such a partnership?"
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 24, 2004 12:21
"I haven't a clue. Either because I don't know or I don't remember." he replied
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: June 30, 2004 05:46
"I'll have to ask her when we get back to the Armoury again. I'm sure it must be a very interesting story..."

Her mind went back again to the rescue of Elruwen from the giant spiders... she could almost feel the exhilaration of flight as she thought about how the wind felt in her hair and the sound of Hwest's giant pinions stroking through the air... whooosh, whoooosh... It was a wonderful feeling!!

And the view! Oh, how marvelous to see the countryside from above, though it was quite difficult to recognize just where you were sometimes, from above! After a while she'd gotten the hang of it... and Hwest could sense his mistress' presence in the forest even though she was delirious bordering on unconscious from the poisonous bite of the spider who captured her.

Elerrina sighed; she hoped to have as close a tie with her own young eagle. It was the youngster who seemed to want to be with her, as he had literally followed her home. She had hoped his parents would find him... but so far they had not, and she feared they had somehow been killed, though there was only a little evidence to imply that.

She looked up at Celebros and Perathion, "I'll ask her sometime..." she repeated. To Perathion she said, "Since Quarion is not an 'evil' Drow... perhaps the eagles can sense that his companion is not an evil creature either. Otherwise, they probably would go after her and Quarion, too!"
<< First1415161718Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email