Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
Post RE: Things that bug me... Mistakes of FotR
on: July 27, 2002 12:53
ooooh...Trig must agree with Figgy's joke back there (two points for Figgy) He really doesn't sound much different now then he did in Back to the Future II.

But that's just MY opinion...

Trig
Spidey
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2002 02:54
One thing that really annoyed me about the movie was they skipped Tom Bombadil!! I couldn't believe he wasn't in the movie! His chapter was like 30 pages and they just completely skipped him. What are they gonna do in the Two Towers,leave out Treebeard?? That's the problem with Hollywood they edit things too much.
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: July 28, 2002 03:46
Hello, Spidey, and welcome!!

Yes, they skipped Tom Bombadil... but I think they did it because he wasn't so terribly relevant to the main story (except for the Hobbits weapons). We're all hoping that some of the missing people and scenes will show up in the extended versions or deleted scenes.

And, as far as I know, Treebeard and friends are still in TTT!!

Oh, as a 'newbie', you might want to go by The Prancing Pony Forum and visit the "Getting To Know You" topic. If you need any help, just send a Private Message to one of the Moderators by clicking on their Profile button (like under this post box) or clicking on their name, in some cases.

And again, welcome to the Council of Elrond!!
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: July 28, 2002 04:29
no, he didn't, it was a very stupid joke sorry bout that

No prob....sometimes I can be a little slow to catch onto jokes! I thought maybe it was some trivia tibit I'd missed...lol
Trignifty
Send Message
on: July 28, 2002 08:34
I'm personally happy they left Tom Bombadil out. For a few reasons in which I will illustrate now:

1) He's not a major character that is needed to further along the story. Yeah, so he makes the forest more interesting, but they didn't exactly spend much time in the the forest where they would have met him anyways, now did they?

2) The vast majority of people out there think the movie was long enough. I know WE don't think it because we could watch a 20 hour movie on the Fellowship of the Ring and still want more, but the majority of folks out there aren't Tolkien fanatics. Putting Tom in there just would have added another half hour or so, because first you have to have the hobbits meet him, then you have to explain him, then they have to get their weapons...just would have added too much time and PJ would have had to cut out something else.

3) He would have confused a LOT of people. And he would have been reduced to a mere joke. Many many many of these people who are going to this movie have not read the books, remember that. So to see a man who sings and dances for no apparent reason would have caused a complete uproar, because they don't know who he is. And without Tolkien's ACTUAL narrative, it would have been very hard to explain him at all.

4) and this is a very minor and selfish reason: I just plain don't like him. But it doens't really factor into why I don't think he should be in the movie. I promise.

Trig
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: July 29, 2002 02:37
So to see a man who sings and dances for no apparent reason would have caused a complete uproar, because they don't know who he is. And without Tolkien's ACTUAL narrative, it would have been very hard to explain him at all.
~ Trig

I totally agree love! Honestly, I don't see the problem with leaving him out...

I don't see anyone complaining about Gildor or Fattie Bolger, they've been left out too...
Spidey
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2002 07:09
Hey if the people who watched the movie aren't Tolkien fans and would get confused it's not my problem they read at a 6th grade level. Plus those people follow the BANDWAGON. They just come in, watch the movie,and think that they are an expert on it. I've seen it a million times. So unless they read the book and saw the movie,I doubt they would be confused with Tom Bombadil,plus I am one of those technical guys that follows up on things they leave out in movies But to me it's the principal of the thing. Not just Tom Bombadil.
Figwit
Send Message
on: July 29, 2002 07:16
Hey if the people who watched the movie aren't Tolkien fans and would get confused it's not my problem they read at a 6th grade level. Plus those people follow the BANDWAGON. They just come in, watch the movie,and think that they are an expert on it.

well Spidey, I'm glad people who haven't read the books went to see the movie and liked it - liked it so much they want to see the next two

because if they didn't, if only book wurms like us would've gone to see it, then not only New Line would be in big financial problems, but Peter Jackson's carreer could've been over
and it would still have been * to quote Boromir9 * BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!
Spidey
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2002 11:37
Yeah well if you look at it from the director's point of view then of course people who never read the book would wanna see it. But I am looking at it from the LotR fan's perspective. Have you ever liked something for a long time but then have someone think they know everything about it just because they saw a movie about it? Well that's kind of how it is. But then again when movies come out they do tend to stretch the facts. And for the record I am not a bookwork .
Trignifty
Send Message
on: July 29, 2002 11:58
Hey...BE THE BOOKWORM! Scream it loud, scream it proud!

To somewhat argue the point of 'if they haven't read the books and get confused and dont' see the next three movies it's their loss'...It's also PJ's loss, as Figgy hath stated.

Also to an extent it would be a loss to the person as well. Because the easiest way to alienate someone is to scare the bajesus out of them, or to make Lord of the Rings come off as veeeeery strange. And Tom Bombadil would definetly come off as veeeeeery strange. And then the books would never get read by these people. If you want to think about it this way, The movies are basically: A) a moneymaker and B) a way to spread the Tokien magic to all those people who had not quite discovered it yet.

Add Tom, scare the people, mission not accomplished. Tape will self distruct in 5 seconds.....

:dizzy: Trig
Spidey
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2002 05:51
Oh forget about Tom Bombadil,I've heard many many of your points of views and I get the picture. I'm just tired of typing Tom Bombadil to tell the truth But I wonder if they'll have him on the DVD,maybe he's a deleted scene.....always something to wonder.
waldakingofrohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2002 07:25
I would that Farmer Maggot could have been included more, and that the director had not relied so heavily on Ralph Bakshi. The Lord of the Rings should have made with the same attention to detail as demonstrated in "The Empire Strikes Back". The Lord of the Rings should have been kept sad and holy and operatic. You don't have to edit with Tolkien because all his themes inter-weave and draw one from another. But sensational casting! That was Bakshi again!
SilverDeath
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2002 03:54
Oh, YEAH?! Well, here's what bugs ME:
In Moria, when Gimli is weeping for Balin, he's nearly coming apart at the seams, ok? So, where does he get off mourning for his kin, and then STANDING ON THE TOMB when the orcs burst into the chamber?! JUST WONDERING!
Spidey
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2002 06:25
Hahahahha yeah you're right that is strange. Maybe he felt short being with such tall men with the exception of 4 hobbits ..... :-/
Trignifty
Send Message
on: July 30, 2002 09:36
Okay..what I want to know..is why Gimli thinks they're all still ALIVE in Moria...I mean..Many many years..without even a postcard or something!! I personally would take a hint or two..you know?
Figwit
Send Message
on: July 30, 2002 09:55
Okay..what I want to know..is why Gimli thinks they're all still ALIVE in Moria...I mean..Many many years..without even a postcard or something!! I personally would take a hint or two..you know?

LOL Trig.... a postcard?
Trignifty
Send Message
on: July 30, 2002 10:01
Well you tell me Fig!

I dunno..postcard seems to be the easiest form of communication..'cept for maybe smoke signals.. didn't have phones then and you never know! maybe there WAS a Dwarven Delivery Service...in which case...is a very..slow...service...SnailMail to the extreme..
theVoiceofSauron
Rumours Forum Moderator & Lieutenant of Barad-Dur
Send Message
on: July 31, 2002 01:59
that'd be more Celeborn's delivery service...

hello.......I cooome...frooom the laaaaaand......oooof sloooow speeeeech...

hmm...Celeborn really should've invented goodnight poems. By the time they were half way through the poem they'd be asleep
SilverDeath
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2002 04:53
Oh, that was just LOW, VoS! Below the belt!

Figwit
Send Message
on: July 31, 2002 09:48

hmm...Celeborn really should've invented goodnight poems. By the time they were half way through the poem they'd be asleep

STOP IT!!! You're killing me!!! * poor little Figgy rolled so far over the floor she got stuck under the cupboard *

* still laughing though *
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: July 31, 2002 12:40

That's not fair, VoS!! You caught me with a mouthful of fruit salad... ROFL and spitting fruit! Very bad... !! :drool: Very messy... !! :drool: But it's nice to see you're in such fine form for joking around
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: July 31, 2002 02:17
ok dont kill me frodo lovers but the whole firghtened deer look really really annoys me
Trignifty
Send Message
on: July 31, 2002 05:53
AMEN TO THAT ONE, K!!!
SilverDeath
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2002 08:03
Well, I'm not a frodolover, but here I go:
HOW WOULD YOU LOOK IF YOU HAD FOUR DEAD KINGS CHASING YOU, AND EVEN IF THEY WERE WASHED AWAY BY A RIVER, THEY STILL COME BACK?! Im sure you would have a "frightened deer in headlights" thing going! They're like the Terminator! You can't get rid of them!

[Edited on 2/8/2002 by SilverDeath]
Figwit
Send Message
on: August 02, 2002 07:21
crab drain from Duckland - week week

hehe inside joke

okay, hey, no fighting here! some appreciate the Frodo Eyes, some dislike them - des goƻts et des couleurs, on ne se dispute pas!
theVoiceofSauron
Rumours Forum Moderator & Lieutenant of Barad-Dur
Send Message
on: August 02, 2002 10:59
I find it highly annoying when Gimli tries to break the ring at the Council...how dumb do you have to be!!!???...sheesh!
sam
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2002 10:18
I thought gimli in the concil was very funny. i mean yeah that bit were he ran up to break the ring was just stupid and annoying after a while.
but i thought it was funny when legolas says u have my bow in a nice pleasent voice and then gimli yells and my axe it was so funny i spat out my coke i couldn't stop laughing.

but then i laughed when boromir said they've got a cave troll but that was funny wasnt it. or was that just me.
SilverDeath
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2002 03:18
I laughed at that too sam! He said it with the same sarcastic ease as one would say, "Oh, well isn't this nice?" to a kid who put a frog in the bathtub!
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: August 03, 2002 03:50
but then i laughed when boromir said they've got a cave troll but that was funny wasnt it. or was that just me.---sam
I laughed at that too sam! He said it with the same sarcastic ease as one would say, "Oh, well isn't this nice?" to a kid who put a frog in the bathtub!--- SilverDeath

** Lady Elerrina laughs ** You two hit it right on the head about the Cave Troll... great wry sarcasm!! Sort of like "They've got a Cave Troll... just what we needed, right???"

sam
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2002 09:07
I could bearly stop laughing when they said that. i think i began to cry i was laughing so much. i no it was not ment to be funny i mean they were about all be killed by this cavetroll and there i am laughing my head off.
fireaura
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2002 06:46
Lol, I laughed too! These bother me, and I've only seen it twice

1). How it seems like the time when Frodo gets the ring and Frodo leaves on his adventure is all in the same day, or a few days rather then longer.

2). How Celeborn is! Seriously, I don't even recall him saying his name!

3). Galadriel's little flip-out green mode.

4). Gandalf's little "spin" thing in the wizard fight scene.

5). The part when (i think it's Aragorn) cuts of the Urk-High's arm when he's fighting near Boromire's death scene. There's no blood. This bothers me.

6). The whole Arwen flood horse scene! They make it as if *she* was the one doing it when in the book they're all "It's Elrond's river, he flooded it, blah blah blah and Gandalf added in the white horses"

7). I didn't like the Black Rider's voices...they weren't "Deathly" enough I think.

Lol, I have yet to notice a car of any kind in the shire

[Edited on 5/8/2002 by fireaura]
SilverDeath
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2002 07:15
Oh, here's another thing that bothers me:
Has anyone noticed that when Frodo puts the ring on/takes it off, he's always falling?
In the Prancing Pony,he gets knocked off his feet. On Weathertop, he's on his back. In Lorien, he falls back from the Mirror. Near Rauros, he falls from a great height! DANG IT, FRODO! STOP STUMBLING!
sam
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2002 08:21
id idn't notice that but no u say. it is stuck in my mined
Morwinyon
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2002 03:15
hooray! im not the only one then --- i totally agree with you that Celeborn should not talk ever again
he so...unelvish somehow
Figwit
Send Message
on: August 06, 2002 05:25
Oh, here's another thing that bothers me:
Has anyone noticed that when Frodo puts the ring on/takes it off, he's always falling?
In the Prancing Pony,he gets knocked off his feet. On Weathertop, he's on his back. In Lorien, he falls back from the Mirror. Near Rauros, he falls from a great height! DANG IT, FRODO! STOP STUMBLING!

that's because he's not really the one putting on the ring
it's best seen at Weathertop, IMO, Frodo fell and the Ring takes this moment of weakness in Frodo to make him put it on

remember: "the Ring wants to return to its master..."
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email