Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Shandis
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Things that bug me... Mistakes of FotR
on: May 16, 2002 09:01
The second time I went to see the film, I went with a friend of mine on a free afternoon from college, and we spent quite a while looking for continiuty problems (especially the car! lol), and by the time that we were about 20 minutes in, everytime we saw something strange, we just looked at each other, and went "ah, but the ring of power has a will of its own". It was very funny.
But things that bugged me, was the lack of Legolas/Gimli stuff, and the gifts of Galadriel. I was kinda annoyed by the way Galadriel was portrayed to be perfectly honest. I'd really liked her in the book, but I thought Cate Blanchett's take on her was just plain spooky! She really freaked me out. The Bill the Pony stuff was like....hmm, let's make a pony appear out of no-where......ok then.
Is it just me, or has looking for the car and not seeing it become more annoying than the car actually BEING there!? I think it's just gonna go down as being one of those little trivia things....

::clink clink:: there's my two cents ^_~
Shandis
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2002 09:05
And having just now thought of two other points, I decided to add them on.

Moria....
The fellowship is standing underneath a fairly large window, which would adequetely allow passage for man, elf, dwarf and hobbit, when Gandalf goes "There is no way out!" Ok then....

Moria, point 2...

The front of Moria was very heavily guarded, as I'm sure we all know. But there did appear to be a very easily accessable back entrance. Hmmm...
Gil-Galad
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2002 09:08
Well, to answer a few of your question and comments.

There will be more Gimli/Galadriel action in the extended version of the DVD. I have personally seen photos of Gimly bowing to Galadriel before her. (that must mean something)

And that small hole in the chamber was probably a ventilation shaft that goes right up to the top of the mountain. That would be impossible to endure let along climb all the way up. Besides, think that shaft led to the wrong side of the mountain.
Shandis
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2002 09:11
Darn, there goes my theory! lol....really, thanks. I hadn't thought of that, it's just with the light coming down through it you know?
Gil-Galad
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2002 09:25
Yeah I gues...

correction though, the shaft perhaps don't go all the way to the top and maybe detours to the sides, but sti.l...
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: May 16, 2002 09:55
- boromir giving Aragorn a shiatsu when he dies

Actually, that doesn't bother me....I assume that Boromir is in great pain at that point and that is just an unconcious act...pretty good acting, I think, to put that in....they're kind of like death spasms. Plus it may be that he is comforted by the fact that Aragorn is "on his side" now and it's a show of brotherly feeling.

I really should have commented on this earlier, but I just read it today.
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: May 16, 2002 02:21
I think I brought this up in another Forum, but should've posted it here:

Gandalf is looking at the flame-enhanced letters on The One Ring... and translates the inscription for Frodo. The last part is: One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them!" And it sounds like he's saying "BITE them!"

This bugs me because it makes me laugh 'inappropriately', though I try not to. I expect better diction from such a fine actor as Ian McKellen, and I hope the editors get it fixed in later versions.

Others have brought this up, too, so I don't feel I'm being nit-picky... and newcomers must find it confusing, as well, because "bite them" wouldn't make any sense, would it?

[Edited on 5/17/2002 by Elerrina]
Shandis
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2002 12:36
I don't know, it might make for interesting times round at Sauron's place.
killjoy
Local Drunk, & Guru Swami Extraordinaire
Send Message
on: May 17, 2002 05:29
quote:
---------------------
- boromir giving Aragorn a shiatsu when he dies
---------------------
Actually, that doesn't bother me....I assume that Boromir is in great pain at that point and that is just an unconcious act...pretty good acting, I think, to put that in....they're kind of like death spasms. Plus it may be that he is comforted by the fact that Aragorn is "on his side" now and it's a show of brotherly feeling.
hmmm...dunno about 'death spasms'...still think the groping was a liiiiiiitle over-done (he's taken a helluva lotta arrows! massive blood-loss! weak limbs!)...but yeh, that was definately some fantastic acting by S.Bean (heehee! i almost called him mr. bean...)...that death scene could have been reeeeally corny, but it came out very genuine and emotional
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: May 17, 2002 09:03
...that death scene could have been reeeeally corny, but it came out very genuine and emotional

It bugs me that he dies at all... but that aside, I think that the person doing make up for him did a great job, too! He begins to get a little wan looking after the first arrow, then more & more pale until the last bit where he has blue lips and dark circles around his eyes. Finally, a little blood around his lips (he's got to have a punctured lung at the least ) and he does a fine portrayal of 'passing over'. An excellent job of acting, with wonderful makeup and costuming to complete the total effect.

I still cry every time I see this scene... even after 7 or 8 times... and that bugs me, too!
delilah84au
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2002 02:19
I don't know if anyone has picked this up yet, but it bothers me how the whole moria fight in Balin's tomb is done entirely using light from the sun (through the gap in the ceiling) however, the cave troll does not turn to stone.
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: May 18, 2002 05:38
however, the cave troll does not turn to stone.

Good point!! Smart girl... I don't think anyone has mentioned that, come to think of it.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: May 19, 2002 04:22
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

sister Figwit * astounded *
DraconianZero
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2002 03:14
Several things bothered me a bit/greatly.

1. Aragorn's accent changing at the Council of Elrond

2. Hobbit's height changing

3. THE CAR

4. Celeborn and Haldir. Please don't speak again. Please?

5. Saruman. Christopher Lee is a good actor, but he sucked in FotR, no offense... I didn't like him that much.

6. And then the darkness BITE them!

7. I thought the Uruk-hai were too easy to be beaten... Even Lurtz (or was it Uglúk?) didn't put up quite a fight.

Bleh, just a few things on my head right now. I'm not really paying attention since I'm having a conversation with someone. Oh well.
Gil-Galad
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2002 07:40
Several things bothered me a bit/greatly.

1. Aragorn's accent changing at the Council of Elrond

2. Hobbit's height changing

3. THE CAR

4. Celeborn and Haldir. Please don't speak again. Please?

5. Saruman. Christopher Lee is a good actor, but he sucked in FotR, no offense... I didn't like him that much.

6. And then the darkness BITE them!

7. I thought the Uruk-hai were too easy to be beaten... Even Lurtz (or was it Uglúk?) didn't put up quite a fight.

Bleh, just a few things on my head right now. I'm not really paying attention since I'm having a conversation with someone. Oh well.

Hm...you didn't leave much you DID like in there. I haven't seen the car yet, Aragorns accent I wasn't paying attention too, Saruman was...as perfect as you can expect,that "darkness bite them" is all in your head really , but I do agree with number seven though. (That was Lurtz by the way) They were too easily defeated, even the hobbits killed several of them without assistance in the Boromir scenes.

And Celeborn? He doesn't strike me as a important character in ANY of the books, he just fades away somehow and never gives a good advice in FOTR.(book)
Anor
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2002 09:28
Um i don't think anything really bothered me except the lack of relationship between Legolas and Gimli and little things like Galadriel not giving the rest of the fellowship their girfts, and gimlis new respect for elves- anyway- i really enjoyed arwen's flight to the ford- probably becuase she's beautiful and what she says "if you want him, come and claim him" i thought it was cool- even if it wasn't in the book
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: May 21, 2002 07:13
i really enjoyed arwen's flight to the ford-

Welcome, Anor...

Yes, I liked it,too! I especially enjoyed Asfaloth's fancy footwork to evade the Nazgul.

Don't forget to visit the Getting to Know You topic, so we can, well... get to know you!
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: May 22, 2002 11:54
Gee, I never really looked for all that stuff and probably won't because I like to suspend my disbelief! Anyway, just to add my two cents, I have to say I agree that Boromir's death scene was probably one of the best I've watched. Considering those miniature spears Lurtz lobbed at him, it was amazing he could still stand at all. Must have been running on pure adrenaline. I couldn't help wincing every time Boromir got shot. Ouch, that must have stung!

As for substituting Glorfindal with Arwen, I'm glad to see her in more scenes even if it totally disagrees with the books. Just MO.
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: May 25, 2002 03:32
Has anyone thought that it might be Shadowfax letting off steam, that is running across the Shire, with the sun glinting on his coat , this being mistaken for a car???

Also Gandalf might have said "Bite them" if he was being prophetic, after all that is what happens in Mount Doom is it not!!!

The thing that bugs me is poor sound in some theatres, although it gave me an excuse to go see FOTR eight times soooo scratch that last comment.
Ithilas
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2002 03:48
It came to my attention that the stunt rider for Arwen in the flight to the ford scene is a man, that bugged me,

Also Frodo bites his nails yuck, they are sooo grubby.

When picking up the ring in Gollems cave the hand that is supposed to be Bilbo's is not his!! Its too squidgy looking.

Not all the eyes are blue Sauruman's are Brown. Neegh Neegh!!

On the plus side every time you see the movie you notice something new, not always bad stuff, if it was on in my local area I'd go see it again . . .
FrodoBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2002 04:45
I didn't particularly like the changes in Weathertop and flight to the ford. I think it robbed Frodo's character of a major expression of inner strength and resolve.

And, regarding the crebain scene... I never gave Bill the Pony a thought. Good point though.. Where did he hide!?!
truebizotic
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2002 02:10
You know the funny thing? I didn't even notice most of the things you've been mentioning. The two main things that bugged me were (1)they left out a bunch of stuff, like Tom Bombadil, and they could have had them do more stuff in Lorien. But hey, it's already a 3 hour movie, and I suppose they had to cut stuff out. BUT I STILL LOVED IT!!!!! (2)Does anyone else notice that in Boromir's death scene, right when he dies and the camera switches to a side view of him and Aragorn, that his eye twitches?
And you have to give them credit for making the hobbits look small at all!
~Claire
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: June 01, 2002 07:41
You know the funny thing? I didn't even notice most of the things you've been mentioning.

That was my first impression, too! I was just so darn happy to see the cotton-pickin' movie!! But then it got to be kind of fun to see if I could spot the things other people had noticed, too. Some I did finally see, but I never did spot the "Not Quite Dead Orc"... it'l have to wait for the DVD, I guess...
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: June 01, 2002 02:14
Has anyone thought that it might be Shadowfax letting off steam, that is running across the Shire, with the sun glinting on his coat , this being mistaken for a car???

LOL, Happy_Hobbit, I like your explanation!

I think I only notice these things because I've seen it so many times. I didn't really start to notice most of them until, oh, maybe the 6th viewing at least...
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
delilah84au
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2002 10:40
It bothers me that Bag End is rather messy while in "the Hobbit" Bilbo prides himself on keeping it clean. i suppose this shows the transformation of bilbo with the ring.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: June 05, 2002 10:09
Ah, that's a good explanation! I thought about that during the movie...I too remembered how tidy Bilbo liked everything.
Deladrieng
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2002 12:20
i agree with the breakdancing thing Gandalf does in his battle. Stop dancing and fight!
beleriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2002 07:21
i agree with the breakdancing thing Gandalf does in his battle. Stop dancing and fight!

Well... what about the breakdancing Uruk Hai then on Amon Sul...that was pretty cheezy!! at least it became more credible when he ran up the steps and they could only come at him one at a time!!

Didnt like Aragorn's fight with the ringwraiths either.

Really annoys me how Frodo is depicted as a wimp as well (as you may have noticed) however, in SPITE of these things... this is one AWESOME film!!
Gilraen
Renaissance Elf
Send Message
on: June 14, 2002 02:40
The one part in the movie that I had a major problem with was Lothlórien. I was looking forward to that part so much-its my favorite chapter in the book- but it was done way wrong. Celeborn was very stiff- he sounded like he needed some coffee really bad to wake him up. The Birdbath of Doom (love that name) scene with Galadriel was way overdone. Even though in the book Tolkien does say something about her becoming great and terrible, I imagined that as something you'd sense, not Galadriel going really weird with her voice sounding like it'd come out of some bad horror movie.
I've never had the problem of seeing Elrond as agent Smith or whatever, because I've never seen the matrix, so I don't have that complaint. Aragorn's voice did sound funny, though in the Council- kind of like a muppet, I thought. I also didn't like Gandalf's "breakdancing", though I can see why the put that in. I don't mind having Arwen take Glorfindel's place, because I liked that it really expanded the part of one of the only three women in LR. Never noticed the car, or the bad bluescreen with Saruman. (I've "only" seen the movie four times, which my mom thinks is three times too many ) I've noticed he different height differences between the hobbits and men/dwarves/elves (they're kind of hard to miss) but they didn't bug me, for some rason. I agree with whoever said that another one of their complaints was that TTT doesn't come out 'till December!
Nevwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2002 05:44
Was it just me, or were Aragorn and Arwen speaking Sindarin and Quenya in the same sentence? Probably just me. I'm not all that learned in the Eldarin tongues.

But I am pretty sure that Galadriel said "Earendil" wrong. Ea is not a diphthong, or so it says in the Sindarin lessons, so I believe Earendil should be pronounced:

ay-ar-en-deel

rather than:

ar-en-deel

Galadriel says the lower version.

PS Aragorn's accent did sorta change, but it was cute :love:
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: June 16, 2002 07:40
But I am pretty sure that Galadriel said "Earendil" wrong. Ea is not a diphthong, or so it says in the Sindarin lessons, so I believe Earendil should be pronounced:

ay-ar-en-deel

rather than:

ar-en-deel

Galadriel says the lower version.

Yes, indeedy!! The lady who wrote the Quenya lessons I'm using says exactly that! And she politely goes on the "ask for an extra vowel" in the Director's Cut! Using her method of showing pronunciation and stress, it looks like it should be:
Ay-ah-REN-del (and don't forget to roll the 'r')

Even JRRT himself was not necessarily consistent in his pronunciations; as she says, "He was not a native speaker of Quenya."

The Chat Room sometimes clones me, but in order to get everything done in Middle Earth that I want to do (write stories, learn Quenya, learn tengwar, go Chat, post on Forums, etc.), I'd have to be cloned or twins!!
cutehobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2002 03:03
you guys are really perceptive!when i saw the movie(twice),i didnt pick up half the things that you all have mentioned so far,lol.i guess thats because i had not read the book and i wasn't that familar with the story.i was so caught up in the movie and what was happening(and too busy crying when frodo got stabbed numerous times and gandalf fell into the shadows-thinking they died,lol!).As for the car in the background,i missed that!i suppose the one thing that annoyed me was Arwen taking glofindel's horse and taking frodo to the ford....And PJ should have at least included tom bombadil..oh well..i guess if he put him in the movie,it would go for another 2 hrs.but i wouldn't have minded
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: June 17, 2002 08:01
And PJ should have at least included tom bombadil..oh well..i guess if he put him in the movie,it would go for another 2 hrs.but i wouldn't have minded

Suilad, cutehobbit! Welcome to CoE!!

We all seem to be in agreement that Tom Bombadil would have been a nice added story, but apparently not necessary enough for PJ & Co. For my own opinion, I would've liked each movie to be 4 or 5 hours long... there's plenty of story to last that long.:heart:

Go check out the "Getting To Know You" topic at The Prancing Pony, if you haven't already... and post a little about yourself, too.
Just ask (or Private Message) someone if you need some help on anything... me, for instance!
cutehobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2002 02:39
hi elerrina!

thanks 4 the warm welcome!(oh and thanks 4 quoting me!LOL).sorry 2 have to ask but how do i get to the "getting 2 know you topic" at the prancing pony???like what do i click on etc..thanks!

But in dreams
I still hear your name
And in dreams
We will meet again

FOTR soundtrack-"The breaking of the fellowship"

[Edited on 18/6/2002 by cutehobbit]
Nevwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2002 06:45
Elerrina!!! Thank you for proving me RIGHT!!!!!!! Everyone else (real-life people) was either like "No, Peter Jackson doesn't screw up" or was like "Who the heck is Earendil"

hehehe LOL!!!
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email