Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
Rowan_Baggins
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Things that bug me... Mistakes of FotR
on: June 18, 2002 07:05
Way to go Nev! Ithink the most hilarious thing is the not-so-dead orc. As Aragorn is running over to Boromir this orc lifts his head and looks around, then drops his head again...HAHA! Its Gandalf in disquise....*peers around suspisiously*
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: June 18, 2002 07:44
Elerrina!!! Thank you for proving me RIGHT!!!!!!! Everyone else (real-life people) was either like "No, Peter Jackson doesn't screw up" or was like "Who the heck is Earendil"

Nev, I think the pronunciation was not really great in spite of the actors having speech coaches. For instance, the word "palantír"... it is my understanding that the accent on the 'i' is not to stress that syllable, but to make the vowel long. So it would be pa-LAN-teer, I believe. Someone had a letter from Ian McKellon about having to change his pronunciation from pa-lan-TEER to that above. Regardless of such minor boo-boos, it's still a great movie!!
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: June 19, 2002 03:00
Although this in not a complaint (still love the movie) I too wish the actors had gotten more coaching on the names...Sir Ian says what sounds to me like "Sarahman" in one scene and then "Sar-ooh-mahn" in another...if it were diff. actors you could agree that they had diff. regional accents (like us I suppose) and pronounce names differently...but not the same person...
but you're both right...the pronunciations are inconsistent.
Gilraen
Renaissance Elf
Send Message
on: June 19, 2002 06:30
Cutehobbit:
To get to the getting to know you topic, click on "the prancing pony" in the board index
(the page that comes up when you click on "Forums") and then click on "Getting to know you".
Nevwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2002 01:44
I just had some weird revelation thing about the pronunciations:

People here (on the "real" Earth) pronounce certain words (like tomato, spaghetti) differently depending on what they were brought up with. Sometimes these aren't correct or whatever, but they're "accepted". So maybe Middle-earth people can pronounce things differently, too? Like, forget that they're actors, and say maybe Gandalf really couldn't say Palantir right. Like how some people can't say "three" or whatever.

LOL, I'm weird...
Nevwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2002 01:44
I just had some weird revelation thing about the pronunciations:

People here (on the "real" Earth) pronounce certain words (like tomato, spaghetti) differently depending on what they were brought up with. Sometimes these aren't correct or whatever, but they're "accepted". So maybe Middle-earth people can pronounce things differently, too? Like, forget that they're actors, and say maybe Gandalf really couldn't say Palantir right. Like how some people can't say "three" or whatever.

LOL, I'm weird...
delilah84au
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2002 10:15
I don't mean to like find anything wrong with the movie, but when you've seen it lots of times you start to notice stuff.
Just as the ring is going south, gandalf says "with any luck the gap of Rohan will still be open to us" however on Caradhras, Boromir asks for the fellowship to "Make for the Gap of Rohan" but then Aragorn replies "The Gap of Rohan takes us too close to Isengard"
If that was the case, why did Gandalf want to go there before?
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: July 02, 2002 02:36
Well, I believe initially Gandalf felt that the Gap of Rohan would be the safest, fastest, and easiest route as opposed to the other two--as long as Saruman had not posted spies there. But when they are seen by the crebain (spelling ? I don't know), he says the passage (the Gap) is being watched...so it would be foolish for them to go that way. Perhaps Aragorn didn't want to go through the Gap at any time but was deferring to Gandalf's judgement.
MightyElrond
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2002 04:15
Luckily the car cut off in DVD!
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: July 05, 2002 07:50
Luckily the car cut off in DVD!

Have you seen the DVD??? I'm not sure I really want to know what all of the errors they've edited out of the Aug. edition... since I was looking forward to seeing some of them which I'd missed while watching the movie in the theater... well, I'll check them out later.

And BTW... welcome to CoE, MightyElrond! If you need any help finding your way around, just clikck on one of the Moderator's names, which will take you to their Profile... where there is a Send XXX a Private Message link to click on.

You also might want to go check out the Getting To Know You topic in The Prancing Pony Forum, if you haven't already...
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: July 07, 2002 07:32
hey Lady El, it's all in the article HobbitFriend added today, the one without a clear title :dizzy:
Kahn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 08, 2002 01:51
When I saw the movie for the first time (the german Version), I was a bit disapointed because it seemed on me, they pushed Pippin's role to far in the silly way (Moria scene)
In the book, it was a little stone...So it seems to be all Pip's fault, that the party get's attacked by the orc's.
Hope you get what I want to say, because I think my English is quite bad.
Cya, Kahn
Figwit
Send Message
on: July 08, 2002 03:49
I see what you mean Kahn.... but a bit of comedy was wanted in such a heavy movie...

Pippin will grow in the second and third film, I'm sure that'll compensate

btw, don't worry about you're English: we have a Bad English/Worse English dictionnary here
Kahn
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2002 05:39
I see what you mean Kahn.... but a bit of comedy was wanted in such a heavy movie...

Pippin will grow in the second and third film, I'm sure that'll compensate

btw, don't worry about you're English: we have a Bad English/Worse English dictionnary here

Thnx Figwit for your words.
Think You made a point. Let's see what is gonna happen to Pip in the TTT movie.
I will take a look into that Dictionnary later...

[Editiert am 10/7/2002 von Kahn]
Figwit
Send Message
on: July 10, 2002 08:31
you're very welcome love!
Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
on: July 10, 2002 07:30
Okay...I would imagine someone's commented on these before but I got through the second page of posts before I half-crashed (not enough sleep I tell you..it's killin' me).

Council of Elrond: Legolas...he looks like he's going to kill Gimli, like there's going to be a serious rumble up in the council..but then he braces the OTHER elves. I don't get it. I really don't.

The thing that REALLY bothers me is how on two separate occasions..Merry looks like he is going to drain the life out of Frodo and turn him into a bloody mess...but then he helps him. 1) When Frodo says he has to leave the Shire, Merry has the Look of Death on his pretty little face. But then he brings up the ferry idea and they go escape. 2) When Pip and Merry tell Frodo to hide with them as the Uruk-Hai (sp?) attack and merry realizes he's leaving. Once again! Look of Death! But then he puts his own life on the line for Frodo.

Also..it doesn't bug me, but I think it's kind of sad..is when Boromir gets shot down and Merry and Pip start trying to fight..all they accomplish is to get scooped up into Uruk-Hai arms. Valiant attempt..but didn't accomplish anything.

Enh, I'm picky and DURN proud of it.
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: July 15, 2002 08:22
I've had this bugging my for a while:

I noticed that in the Prologue... when the Dwarf Lords were shown with their Rings of Power... Moria seemed to be in the same state of disrepair that they used in the FotR scenes. Shouldn't it have been new and beautiful looking? I'm not sure exactly what the Timeline should be on the two events, though... Moria at it's peak and the Rings of Power being given.
Figwit
Send Message
on: July 15, 2002 08:52
that was in Moria? I don't even remember what the scenery was like....
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: July 15, 2002 09:34
It's a pretty plain shot and doesn't show much....

http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=My_eGallery&file=index&do=showpic&pid=238&orderby=titleA

but it sure doesn't look like the renowned Halls of the Dwarves at any location !
Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
on: July 15, 2002 11:51
Okay..very minor thing...The VEEEEERY first line of the movie about the world changing...Galadriel doesn't say that line. It doesn't really bother me, because I think it's a great line to open the movie with...But I was at physical therapy a few months ago and I opened ROTK for the 50th time and I saw that Treebeard actually says it to Galadriel...

Yeah yeah, I'm weird...but I thought it was rather interesting....
Parmadur
The Happy Pariah
Send Message
on: July 15, 2002 12:30
Hmm...
In the movie, Haldir addresses Gimli - "A dwarf breathes so loudly we could shoot him in the dark."
In the book, wasn't he referring to Sam?

[Edited on 16/7/2002 by Parmadur]
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: July 17, 2002 07:04
Hmm...
In the movie, Haldir addresses Gimli - "A dwarf breathes so loudly we could shoot him in the dark."
In the book, wasn't he referring to Sam?

Yes, I see that he was ... so we end up with another case of 'artistic license' by PJ & Co. There is a LOT of dialog that gets moved from one character to another for the convenience of the movie... but I guess that can't be helped in the effort to make a viable movie of 'reasonable' length. Not that extreme length would bother us, eh?
Parmadur
The Happy Pariah
Send Message
on: July 17, 2002 07:36
Oh, but the scene would have been so cute, what with Sam covering his mouth and all, but they weren't aiming for "cute," so...

The only thing about it that really bothers me is that Gimli's getting all of this credit for saying a line that wasn't originally his. But, PJ will do what PJ will do, I suppose.
Parmadur
The Happy Pariah
Send Message
on: July 18, 2002 06:12
Okay, something just occurred to me...

FotR didn't mention anything at all about why Boromir was in Rivendell in the first place! He was there for a specific reason, but the council scene made it look like he was just hungry for the One Ring and whining about how Gondor was suffering for protecting them and everything. There was no mention at all about the dream that he and his brother had had!

It'll be brought up in TTT, I'm sure, since Faramir's interrogation of Frodo dances around the topic, but it irks me that such an important part of Boromir's story was left out.

Maybe it's just me...
Figwit
Send Message
on: July 19, 2002 02:07
well, it leaves Boromir's story open for the other movies... that's a good thing... it's like saying to the audience: you think you know everything, but in fact you don't
Parmadur
The Happy Pariah
Send Message
on: July 19, 2002 03:04
well, it leaves Boromir's story open for the other movies... that's a good thing... it's like saying to the audience: you think you know everything, but in fact you don't

Perhaps Faramir will get more screen time? :blush:
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: July 19, 2002 09:07
Perhaps Faramir will get more screen time?

No-no-no!!! More Boromir time, please :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: and :blush: :love: :blush: :heart:

Oh, heck... now I have to go to the Casting Forum.... we don't have any towels here...

Excuse me, please.... :blush:
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: July 19, 2002 09:24
Is there no room in your heart for Boromir's little bro., Lady El?
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: July 19, 2002 11:44
Heh... I know this is the movie forum, but I must mention that in the book it did indeed explain why Boromir had come to Rivendell. It wasn't for the Council, but for Elrond's advice. Gondor had been attacked and suffered greatly with the increasing movement of the Dark Lord and his minions. Gads! Now I miss Glorfindel even more! Ack! Reading book after seeing movie driving me even more nuts than I already was to begin with!
Untidy
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2002 02:01
The breakdancing thing *was* silly.

I wonder how many people noticed the car when seeing the movie for the first time??
I didn't because I was fixed on the dialogue.

On another note, you should hear Frodo's voice in the German version, I did not like it at all. He sounded like an 8-year-old crybaby most of the time....
Allis
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2002 02:19
I've noticed most if the things already mentioned here, but here's a little eensy-weensy annoyance of mine: If it's all green and pretty and summer-y looking in the shire, and if it's September, like it's supposed to be, then why does Bilbo have a fire going in the middle of the day? His house must have been unbearably hot.
Figwit
Send Message
on: July 26, 2002 02:36

On another note, you should hear Frodo's voice in the German version, I did not like it at all. He sounded like an 8-year-old crybaby most of the time....

... er.... are you sure it wasn't just Elijah dubbing himself in German?
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: July 26, 2002 11:01

... er.... are you sure it wasn't just Elijah dubbing himself in German?

DID he dub himself in German?
Tithenbereth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2002 12:01

In Bree is everybody on stilts?????

Yes, they are.
Figwit
Send Message
on: July 27, 2002 07:57
no, he didn't, it was a very stupid joke sorry bout that

I just meant to say, that in English, he sounds like a little kid too... so they probably wanted to stay as close to the original voice as they could
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email