Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
Post RE: Things that bug me... Mistakes of FotR
on: April 08, 2002 10:04
Yeah, that was me that mentioned the size of the railings. I was specifically thinking about this shot (which I suppose is outside Frodo's room):

One could argue that it is a Hobbit sized room, with a matching Hobbit sized balcony. But then there's this shot:

Which is a totally different area (different looking balcony railing). I suppose it could be argued that Rivendell has an entire Hobbit-sized section with everything in that area being proportional to them, but that's suspending my disbelief a little too much...Ah, I just love being nitpicky. It's fun!

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Nuindaliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2002 10:38
Yes the sizes of the characters was def a problem....arggg that always pissed me off....Horrah for someone not liking the fake gimli crying stuff....arrggg thats sooo stupid...one of the directors should have done something about that. Oh and the list of mistakes in Gladiator is also rather long..yeah so i am obessed w/joaquin...hmmm i love looking and hearing about movie mistakes
Boromir9
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2002 03:32
I didn't like how a car can be seen in this movie. But I don't care about that. I love this movie!! I have seen it 11 times. Can't wait until TTT!!!!
Rivka
Send Message
on: April 08, 2002 04:37
Okay, for your edification, and to make it easier for those of you who haven't seen the car yet to find it the next time you see the movie:

There's a little dimple where the arrow is pointing in the picture--that's actually the sunlight off the car--the best picture I could get showing it...
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2002 05:08
The car travels that far? I only see it for a split second or so...wonder why the editors didn't catch it...or why the guardpeople didn't hear it....or something...they can catch a spy sneaking in onto the set, but not a car driving on film?
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: April 09, 2002 11:51
The first time I saw the movie nothing bugged me... I was just so-o-o grateful to actually be seeing it!
However... now that you mention it:
1.) I don't like the f/x around Galadriel either, especially the "Light Queen" thing at the Mirror. I think they should have been more subtle.
2.) I think the greeting scene with Celeborn and Galadriel was awful... they seemed absolutely wooden.
3.) It should have been pointed out that the 3 Elven Rings were not made by Sauron, and how the elves used them.
4.)The scene with Saruman coming down the stairs to meet Gandalf. I haven't noticed the line around Saruman's head, but his lines stink. And Gandalf is so obsequious... yuck!
5.) Where's Glorfindel... hmmm?
6.) Boromir dropping Narsil and not picking it up. Boromir was a lot of things, but not rude...

Things that do not bug me are:
1.) The size thing between hobbits and humans on some sets;
2.) Gimli's cries at Moria... wailing is "in" in some cultures... tho it's a bit melodramatic;
3.) The minor glitches that happen in any movie... just not important.

Oh, and a last thing that did bug me:
The movie was not near long enough!!!
I think 4 or 5 hours of FotR would have been perfect... (sigh) I can hardly wait for TTT.
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2002 02:49
Well, wailing, crying, or whatever it is, it's no wonder the Orcs found them, with all that noise he was making! Oh, one thing that DOES bug me that I haven't said before was the "By foul count, Saruman has crossed orcs with goblin men. He's breeding an army (blahblah)"...I thought someone said that Orcs WERE Goblins and that Tolkien only renamed them because he wanted to stay out of the stereotypes of pre-written fantasy. Or maybe I'm completely crazy and made that up. Who knows.
Rivka
Send Message
on: April 12, 2002 03:38
This was mentioned in another thread. In the following picture, you can see Frodo wearing tennis shoes. I just watched the actual movie, though, and didn't see them (there are some shots from behind that are waist down, so it may actually have happened, and they realized it, and edited the scene that way).

Nerwin_Artanis
Queen of the Night
Send Message
on: April 13, 2002 08:21
I have yet to find the car, even though I actually remembered to look for it once.

I think what bugs me the most, and bugs me more every time I see FotR, is Lothlorien. It doesn't look right! It's too....fakey looking, and eleborate. I think the CG artists let their imaginations run away with them, and threw Tolkien's desciption and plausibility out the window.
Every time I see it, it makes me wonder how anyone could stand living there. And the biggest crime of all, you can't even see the yellow leaves on the mallorn trees.

At first I liked the Galadriel going wonky scene allright, it scared the bejeepers out of me because I wasn't expecting her to get quite that...wonky. But it really is too much. Eh well, I thought Ms. Blachett did a good job over all, especially on the prologue narration.

And Haldir and Celeborn...oooh, don't get me started. Haldir seems like the "Queen of the Forest" and Celeborn...you can't help wondering what planet he came from. If only he could act!

Also, in the scene in Moria where the fellowship is running away from the Orcs...it's so obvious it's CG. They don't even look like they're running, they look like they're gliding.

And the Balrog...although it wasn't BAD, per se, I was unimpressed.

The scene with the "thee elven kings" in the prologue, is it just me, or is Cirdan as ugly as Wormtongue?
For some reason, I always imagined him as being blonde. Hm?

But really, regardless of some gripes, I love the film. And I can hardly wait for The Two Towers! Eight months is too long....
hobbitsnelves
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2002 06:48
The only thing that *still* truly bothers me after 8 viewings is Viggo's accent as Aragorn. COME ON, MAN! Pick an accent and stick with it! In Bree he has a different accent than he does in Rivendell, which he loses halfway through the Council scene. He then finds it again, only to lose it later.

*blink*

But that's just me.

And did anyone else notice that the colors change sometimes? Like, during the scene where Boromir is looking at Narsil. In all four theatres I've seen it in here, the colors change from dark blues to purple when the camera focuses on Aragorn. But maybe that's just a bad print of the film, I don't know.

Still haven't seen the car, must look harder next time now that I know where to look... thank you to whoever posted that pic!

--Alba
Sareana_Evenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2002 01:36
The eyes bugged me, too..... And the car? Where is it? 4 times(not many, I know) and I haven't noticed it.... so.... yeah... there's this one scene, when Elijah notices that Gollum is following them, I think, his one eye is blue, and the other is green.... Um, did anyone notice the trolls in the background, when Arwen finds Strider and the Hobbits in the woods? I noticed it.... and when they had the short people(kids, I think) replaced Elijah and the gang really REALLY bugged me...
Rivka
Send Message
on: April 15, 2002 01:38
My husband commented at one point that he thought Elijah has two different color eyes. I don't see it myself...if any of you happen to come across a picture that it's noticeable in, please point me to it...
Boromir9
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2002 05:55
I didnt like the car, but I dont care about that the movie still kicks a**!!!! Best movie ever made!!!
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: April 17, 2002 10:10
It may be nit-picky, but the way the Nazgul are peering back over their shoulders as they're galloping across the Bruinen Ford bugs me everytime I see the photo or the movie. I understand they didn't want the actual riders' faces in the shots, but they were going to be edited out later anyway... why not have the bad guys focused on their target? It looks silly, like they're saying, "C'mon, you guys, stay behind us!! Aren't you following??" or some such thing. I used to ride, and I wouldn't dream of doing that on a horse!!

To be fair, though, it is a neat shot otherwise: Arwen dares them to pursue and ***holy ----*** they do! Of course, she then unseats them with the flood, killing their (real) horses and forcing them to find new mounts. It's a WOW shot every time I see it.
frodoandsam
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2002 09:50
i only seen it 4 times and i never notice a car but i guess when i get the dvd i will see what the fuss is all about
Boromir9
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2002 12:37
The car bugs me, but not that much. Over all they did a great job editing the movie. Best movie ever!!!!!!!!!
SugarFairy
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2002 05:01
I like Frodo's dancing!! I totally would have been right there dancing with him! I love
dancing!!
I also noticed & was suspicious about the eye thing! That is totally true! EVERYONE in the
whole entire movie had blue/grey eyes!! It's so creepy!
& I don't remember what I was gonna say that bugged me! lol! I forget!
Oh well, if I remeber I'll post it.
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: April 22, 2002 10:18
The Galadriel going psyho thing didn't annoy me at all. It confused me a little a first but her speech is taken nearly word for word form the book and tolkien does give the impression that she doesn't remain 'normal' during it.

Don't knock Haldir! He was COOL!
Gil-Galad
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2002 12:21
There is one thing that MAY bug me in the upcoming movies.

The cannon-fodder of LOTR is of course, regular smaller orcs. They get killed by the hundreds because they haven't got any real masters of weaponry among them. (save for a selectiv few) This we accept, both in the FOTR introduction and later in the Mines of Moria.

But the Uruk-Hais, they are much more powerful and should be a challange to anyone, but still they get killed like they weren't trained to do anything else. Like in the final fight-scene in FOTR. Aragorn faces about 50-70 Uruk-Hai and clears a path through them like they weren't even there.
(Yes of course he is vital to the plot and a seasoned warrior, but still....)

I just hope that they get it right in TTT and ROTK, I also hope that PJ remembers that the Riders of Rohan sustains heavy casulties too.

But in general: I really missed Gimlis and Legolas conversations. Not to mention Gimlis impression of Galadriel, (sucks)
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: April 23, 2002 12:41
That part in FOTR with Gimli and Galadiriel's hair is SO important & the rest of the pressies from Lothlorien. I was disappointed that they weren't put in there...
Rivka
Send Message
on: April 24, 2002 08:39
That part was actually filmed, though, and it will be in one of the future DVD releases. So don't despair We will see it eventually...
Lívia_Undómiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2002 09:41
I would like to see Tom Bombadil and the Forest, and Lothlórien was so weird, that wasn't Lothlórien!!!
Gildor-Inglorion
Elvellon ar Pethdan
Send Message
on: April 24, 2002 01:01
Before I start to bash I have to say that this is THE greatest movie ever made and you have to give crdit to PJ and all the guys who attempted it. Nevertheless there were a few things that really bug me.

1) Aragorns voice at the council of elrond. Maybe it was just the the theater I was at but his voice is really annoying during that scene.
2) Haldir. What gives? Haldir looks like a total looser and sounds like one.
3) I know it was necessary but I would have loved it if PJ hadn't cut the scene with Gildor.
4) Galadriel Mirror scene. I know it was supposed to be dramatic, but the sense I got from the books was one of hidden power but the scene in the movie almost made me laugh it was done so poorly. Maybe it was a shock to people who have never read the books, but to me it was very badly done.
5) Lothlorien! What gives! It is supposed to be a place filled with light and beauty. In the movie it looked dark and ominous almost like mirkwood. Also whats with the stair things going around the trees? In the book the fellowshipn climbes a ladder that passes through the middle of the flets.
6) The sam "drowning" scene. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either.
7) I know the reasons for it but I wish PJ would have left glorfindel in.
The galadriel/gimli stuff
9) The giving of gifts to the fellowship was gone
10) Th elvish cloaks. They are supposed to chage hue with the light and terrain but all they are in the movie is some crappy green cloth with a brooch! Aren't they supposed to be silky and light?
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: April 27, 2002 09:24
This has been bugging me since I saw that Glorfindel had been replaced by Arwen:

She is riding his horse, Asfalof!! That's kind of adding 'insult to injury'!!

Another thing I feel ambivilent about is the way that the cast is dirtied up so much. Yes, it's more realistic... but that one shot of Frodo's hands with the Ring, all I can think of is that the guy seriously needs a manicure and to wash his hands!! ***yuck*** The realism of getting dirty in those conditions shouldn't be all that intrusive, and isn't the rest of the time.

Perhaps no one brought any soap on site...
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: April 29, 2002 11:26
I am so glad you guys brought this up! I am laughing as I read all of these posts...and agreeing with many of them...the Asfaloth thing bothers me too, and I don't like the scene where Galadriel "goes wonky", comes off as cheesy to me. I would also have like just a little more background info on the characters in the movie...not so much for myself but for those who haven't seen it. I also missed the blindfolding of Gimli and the company in Lothlorien. Maybe in the extended version......also they should explain why elves and dwarves dislike each other so much. I would like to see some of that Legolas-Gimli bickering! Would make it even better when they become friends. I looked very hard for the car, I can see something fuzzy moving in the background, it's either the light hitting it or they tried to blend it out in the version I saw.
Has anyone noticed that the changeover from scene to scene is sometimes awkward? Seems like sometimes somebody really inexperienced was editing. Hopefully that will be improved on the dvd.
Well, sorry to rant, I did like the movie an awful lot.

[Edited on 29/4/2002 by Aowyn]
Boromir9
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2002 04:30
Arwen riding on Asfaloth didn't bother me too much. Nothing buged me too much, best movie ever!!!
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: April 30, 2002 08:14
This has been bugging me since I saw that Glorfindel had been replaced by Arwen:

I agree there. I really didn't like how they got rid of Glorfindel at all. They also booted out Elladan and Elrohir and the elf that the hobbits met on the way to Bree, Gildor wasn't it?
Has anyone noticed that Legolas is riding with a saddle in the preview for TTT? The book made such a show that he didn't use a saddle that I will feel really cheated if he does....
Gil-Galad
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2002 12:12

I agree there. I really didn't like how they got rid of Glorfindel at all. They also booted out Elladan and Elrohir and the elf that the hobbits met on the way to Bree, Gildor wasn't it?
Has anyone noticed that Legolas is riding with a saddle in the preview for TTT? The book made such a show that he didn't use a saddle that I will feel really cheated if he does....

I would want to think that the reason he is using a saddle is because Orlando Bloom is not that good of a horseman. As stated, it's difficult riding a horse without one.
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: May 01, 2002 08:11
I was just thinking about all the ways film-makers use to hide a saddle... under a fur or a small blanket, even a cloak... but it's hard to hide the girth (strap) and the stirrups. If OB isn't an accomplished rider, he'd need stirrups and a seat to help keep him from being 'unhorsed' and maybe hurt. I do remember a few times when I wished I'd had Velcro!! That made such a funny picture... just think about an Elf velcroed to his horse!!

Of course, except for the safer shots, they would use a stunt rider anyway... can't risk one of the stars, especially that cutie!!
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: May 01, 2002 03:09
I would like to see some bareback riding but I agree from experience...it can be hard and easy to slip off and get hurt....plus the horse's backbone can be mighty uncomfortable, 'specially for a guy.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: May 01, 2002 10:04
well, off course I've only seen it 3 times but nothing really bugged me big time, apart from Glads who went completely nuts there - that was not convincing!
I didn't like the Frodo-dance very much either, but my sister adores it, so I guess it's okay
what really really bothered me the whole movie was that it was so Frodo-centered! but Peter Jackson's promised that the extended version will include more of Gimli/Legolas and more of the other Hobbits

but what I really really did like was the way Boromir was portraited (he was a lot more pleasant than in the book) en the fact that Arwen rides her horse (well, not exactly HER horse) barefoot. that was a very nice detail.
what I do wonder is how hobbits who've been travelling for a few days can get nice crispy bacon?

well, this was my first post! I should go out and celebrate

Elke

edited to say: no, she's not barefoot... just had to say that

[Edited on 12/9/2003 by Figwit]
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: May 03, 2002 02:37
Hmmm... Yeah I can understand why a guy wouldn't want to do much riding bareback, especially if they aren't very good. Makes me wiince just thinking about it... But still... Legolas was meant to ride bareback. *sigh* Well I'll just have to wait to see if it annoys me as much as I seem to think it will at the moment.

Welcome Figwit!

[Edited on 3/5/2002 by Lozza]
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: May 03, 2002 04:59
Well, we may never know the reasons why...but it could be a very simple explanation like since they
got their horses from the Riders and were in hot pursuit of the Uruk-hai, it would look funny for Legolas
to say "Now wait everybody while I strip my horse's saddle and bridle"....just a thought. Of course I do
think the main reason is that they just couldn't take the chance...it is very easy to fall off if you don't have
a strong leg grip.
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: May 03, 2002 05:18
I suppose... But still... Elves are suppose to be good with animals... *sigh* Worse things could happen. And they did have to be practical about these things...

I can understand and appriciate the reasons that the actor didn't ride bareback.
killjoy
Local Drunk, & Guru Swami Extraordinaire
Send Message
on: May 08, 2002 02:36
hey lozza:
I am dissappointed that they cut the Australian release. I will be really annoyed if they cut the VHS release.
what's this? panicking now! do you mean the length of time they kept FotR playing in cinemas?

things that bug me:
- the solid blue contacts that the elves wear....most noticable on legolas in the TTT preview...they freak me out
-the hobbit's foot (don't know whose) you see before merry breaks his *snicker...VSD* carrot...eeeeeww
- that weird gunk on boromir's hairline...can't decide if it's ingrained dirt, or leprosy
- boromir giving Aragorn a shiatsu when he dies
-that whole scene btw the flight to the ford adn rivendell...where the screen goes all white...it's not done very well...and i had to sit in the second row once, so i was virtually blinded
- breefolk...i thought they were supposed to be jolly and nice?
-the subtitled bit when arwen first appears...reeeeeeeallly tacky
- those yellow and black circles that appear in the top-right-hand corner of the screen wherever a scene has been cut (eg, you see it when the fellowship leaves lothlorien...it was probably the gifts scene...which should NEVER have been cut)
-lothlorien....it was soooo beautiful, but the wrong colour....wasn't it mean to be all golden with mallorn trees? i guess that wouldn't have suited the sombre mood of gandalf's death

that's all i can think of for now...gee...it feels so wrong to be bagging this movie, doesn't it?

[Edited on 16/5/2002 by killjoy]
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email