Register

<< First678910Last >>
Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post RE: Things that bug me... Mistakes of FotR
on: September 12, 2002 08:00
also Arwen when she says "you are Isildur's heir..." could she say Isildur any worse! That annoies me... maybe it is just me!

well, tani, personally that line was what made Arwen really perfect to me... but maybe it's just me
ruzst
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2002 04:58
In response to Gandalf's apparent dawdling at the appearance of the Balrog - this bothered me too, at first, but not as much now. It could very well be that he is simply frozen for a moment at the appearance of this ancient evil, and he is grappling with having to contend with it.. When he finally cries RUN! it does seem he is breaking out of a trance.

As for various complaints about pronunciations.. I am a native English speaker and, more recently, English major, and even *I* tend to be inconsistent in my pronunciation. (And spelling, and capitalisation, so please don’t rip me heart out just yet! At least wait until all our food supplies have been exhausted..)

Gandalf's spinning? hm, just figured that was Saruman trying to humiliate him! Wielding both staffs and spinning Gandalf about like a top to assert his "superiority" as a wizard. (STAFF ENVY! coughcough)
Spidey
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2002 05:07
Lol if we're pointing out this many FOTR mistakes imagine TTT,and that is going to have a majority of the book cut out or drastically editted
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: September 12, 2002 05:11
Welcome to the boards, ruzst! If this first post of yours is any indication of things to come , I await more wonderfully astute observation!

Besides, that, I agree with you.
Mithedhelwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2002 12:18
Hey everyone! you ppl may not know me cuz i never go on and i haven't been on in a million years but thats ok..... anyhoo..... a couple of things that i don't really get in the movie are these:

First of all, i don't get why Sauron didn't disappear when the one ring was on his finger!!!! what's up with that???

Second of all, i don't get why bilbo's eye's do that screwed up thing when frodo won't let him see the one ring.......much as i love the movie

Third of all, i don't get why they didn't include the barrow-downs in the movie..... that was one of my favourite parts in the book... anyhoo

ya imma get out of here now cuz elen sil needs the computer

luv ya'll

Mithy
whittyb
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2002 12:59
Hey does anyone want to make a time machine ?
lol-- whittyb

It won't get you there any faster... by the time you built it, the movie would be released!!

However, if you already have built it... you can be the richest fan around !!

I went in to the future and saw The Two Towers and The Return Of The King!
Lol, I think I enjoy the wait anyway!
And from what Mithedhelwen said about Sauron not going invissable when puting on the ring, thats a good one!
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: September 16, 2002 04:23
And from what Mithedhelwen said about Sauron not going invissable when puting on the ring, thats a good one!

i think there is a thread somewhere in the books section about that one

Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: September 19, 2002 02:39
Hmm lets see...reactions and disappointments....
I'm really glad I've never noticed the car, I think i'd be obsessed with finding it if i ever thought about it while watching the movie...
I had been looking forward to how PJ was going to portray Tom and Goldberry, and was slighty upset that they were cut out, but now i completely understand why and I accept it (i can still read about them in the books!)
Arwen's speech doesn't really bother me all that much, I think she sounds very elfish (soft yet wise) even if it's a little hard for me to see her and accept her in that role.
I think the thing that bothered me the most after I had seen it a few times was the very noticeable little people that stood in for the hobbits. There were some scenes (Crebain hiding scene, up the stairs at Prancing Pony, and any scene where the entire fellowship is walking along, or running) where this is so blatant, it almost ruined it for me....

I say almost because nothing, and i mean nothing could really ruin the movie for me!:heart:
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: September 20, 2002 01:02
I don't know if anyone noticed this...
In the Mines of Moria, Gimli is never the same distance from Balin's tomb He's far away and then when he hits his head on it, he moves closer.
Saffron
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2002 08:47
True..now that you mention it:dizzy:
geekygurl8
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2002 08:07
wut bugged me... hmmm...

1)Legolas's eye color always changes, sometimes it's blue and sometimes it's brown. (I say he looks better with brown eyes).
2)Legolas's part is smaller in the movie. He hardly syas anything. In the book, he says a whole lot more.
3)Where is Glorfindel?
4)The car in the backround when Sam and Frodo are leving the Shire.

(Yes, Queen of Orc Killers, the men in Bree are wearing stilts)
Saffron
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2002 08:54
What bugs me is the fact they cut Glorfindel and every sentance in the council Elrond says Mordor but that is not what annoys me what annoys me is that EVERY time he says mordor he tries (not very sucessfully (sp?)) to roll both 'r's Morrrdorrr ARGH!!!!! and I have Boromir too.

I absolutely LOVE LOTR I've run out of fingers to count how many times i've seen it. P.S. Where is the car???
whittyb
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2002 09:01
LOL unfortuently on DVD and video they took out the car, you could only see it at the movies...
Auralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2002 10:07
I'm really bugged by the way they don't rescue Gandalf. I know it's in the book, but couldn't someone have gone out and caught him?????
I keep dwelling on that every time....
Mhairi
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2002 06:55
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When they're in Lothlorien and everybody's asleep, check out the pillowcases. I swear to god, they're very similar to ones we had when I was a kid. They're like something you would get from Target. They bug me every time...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I noticed this as well. Do elves really shop at Argos?

Also, why, when Legolas arrives at Rivendell, is he riding with saddle and bridle when TTT is quite explicit in stating that he rides with neither?

Hugs
Mhairi (who can neither work the quote-y line-y thing, nor let matters of horsemanship lie).
eldir
Mirkwood Enigma
Send Message
on: October 06, 2002 04:54
Ok, has anyone noticed that in Moria, when the fellowship is broken due to the broken bridge-there is someone standing in for one of the hobbits with either a very funny face or a mask? He is towards the right of screen-I forget at exactly which point(you'll have to watch for it). It's definately on the Aussie VHS-dont' know about the others.
Carancoe
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2002 09:17
Ok, I've searched for the car, tirelessly, until you fine folks said it was edited out of the movie. I'm sure we'll all be able to see it when the four disc special edition DVD comes out (I'm glad I saved those coupons. I do still have them, right?) Well, a few things I've noticed:

When I saw the movie in the theatre, just once (gasp) becuase i wasn't a lotr nut then. But I noticed about nothing wrong, becuase I was enjoying the movie... with my friends, one of them for his birthday.

But when I got the movie, i watched it everyday for a WEEK! But i just was watching it this morning, when I noticed the terrible bluescreen effect for Saruman. I mean it, there is no way they'd do that intentionally, because it looks so FAKE!!!

Another thing: I think Sauron stayed visible when the ring was on his finger becuase he is the master of the ring, and he is already living in the 'realm' i think it is of the Black Land, like the opposite of when the elves are glowing. For you people who don't know what I'm talking about, remember when Frodo got stabbed? He was passing into Shadow. Sauron is IN shadow, so he stays visible the whole time. At least I think so.

What else is there? The Balrog was great. But when Gandalf was standing there, lets go WAY out on a limb here, and NOT think "Hmmm... Daemonicus us chaisng after us. Maybe he's a friend."

Also, when I first saw the movie, I remembered about bilbo, frodo, strider, and maybe Gandalf. that's it. And, since I read that "which OTHER member of FOTR are you doomed to be?" did I realize that Elrond was a LOT like Agent Smith. Actually, I recognized Hugo becuase of the way he talked, like in the Matrix. And that 'dramatic stare upwards' was pretty wacko.

And as for Bill the Pony, he joined Aragorn et short guys who can't walk straight AFTER bree, because.... yeah, wait! Woah, can't remember this. Does anyone NOT have amnesia and remembers, please continue this. hope i didn't bore you!
KINNIE
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2002 02:50
I was dissappointed th@ they didn't show how gimli and legolas don't like each other and then become best friends. In the book th@ change is really strong and you can see how gimli starts to like elves. they should have at least put in the scene with galadriel giving out the gifts.
Why doesn't Celeborn speak? galadriel spoke so much
it really bugs me when frodo's voice goes all slow.
And what about when Galadriel goes all dark and her eyes green she is suppose to be one of the fairest and wisest of all elves.
highlandergirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2002 12:16
Did anyone notice at the beginning when Gandalf and Bilbo are chatting and Bilbo startles and crashes into the wall, and THEN there's the startling noise at which point he says," Confounded relatives!" or something like it. Yeah, it's a small thing but it still bugs me. I also agree with KINNIE. Galadriel
was kinda creepy at times, Lothlorien gloomier than expected. I thought it was illuminated by countless lights, Galadriel like the morning and so bright! There seemed to be a black-light, greenish glow thing going on.
[Edited on 16/10/2002 by highlandergirl]

[Edited on 16/10/2002 by highlandergirl]
Galarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2002 05:14
Has anybody noticed how the colour of Legolas´eyes changes througout the movie? Sometimes they´re brown, sometimes they´re blue. really gets me though I don´t know why.
- And I think the "Galadriel getting"wonky" scene" is really..ugh. They should have edited that. It would have been better if she had been more..normal.
- One scene I really dislike is the greeting of celeborn and Galadriel where Celeborn asks them why gandalf isn´t there and galadriel interrupts with what happened. I mean it´s kind of funny. As if Galadriel would never talk to her husband. He seems to be unknowing. I don´t think Martin Czokas really acted in that scene. he was mor like a puppet.
- WHY did they have to leave out the Gimli and Galdriel scene? It´s soo touching!! It´s so nice. And I think they shouldn´t have left out all the little conversations between legolas and Gimli.
- and they could have left some of the songs in the film. For example the song that Aragorn starts singing and sam continues them (anyone plz correct me if that´s wrong)
- too bad they left out the "Frodo dancing in Bree" scene. Would have been los f fun.
Cate
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2002 04:07
Ok, I don't know if many people have noticed this, but it is just starting to annoy me now....

Near the end, when Frodo:drool: is holding the ring out to Aragorn:drool: and says something like, "would you destroy it?", Aragorn just looks at it for a bit and then gets closer and closer.
When he finerlly fights off the temptation, he starts to kneel down, putting his right hand on Frodo's hand, and his left one goes out to the side, in a kind of circle.
When the camera does a close up of his hand closing Frodo's, where on earth is his other hand????
The shot before it, you can clearly see the left hand nearly touch Frodo's and in the next shot, it isn't there!

Hard to explain, but next time you see that bit, have a look.

:dizzy:
highlandergirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2002 04:38
I really can't stand it when Arwen says, "..And to that I hold..I would rather..." Yes it's romantic, and I see why it's in the movie to set that relationship up and if she's going to be in the next movie (as she seems to be from the trailer) but I just hate the way her voice sounds...it's not really a mistake..(or is it? just kidding..Arwen has grown on me. ) but it makes me cringe verytime!

[Edited on 22/10/2002 by highlandergirl]
orlandogirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2002 06:36
1. Haha Gandalf breakdancing in that wizard battle was really deranged!! It was sort of funny, even I must admit, but I really wish that he hadn't looked like Kid Rock....
2. Honestly, I didn't notice the car in the backround. I saw it 5 times, but maybe they edited it out or sumthing?
3. I agree with you all, Frodo is cute, but I think Legolas was an awful lot hotter, do any of you agree??:heart::love:
4. I personally though that the line Sam said was really touching (I'm such a softy:blush:
"Don't you lose him, Samwise Gamgee, and I don't mean to. =hug="
~sniff~sniff~ That was so sweet!!:cry::cry:
5. Another thing about the movie that made me cry (with ANGER) was LIV TYLER. I mean, she's a good actress and all, but I really liked Glorifindel!! WHY oh WHY did they cut him out? He was such a cool dude!! And wut's up with her taking frodo on her horse and practically humping him?? AAAHHH it annoys the freakin' heck out of me!!:angry:
6. I also think they should not have made Galadriel turn into, well, what was that thing anyway? I don't recall her doing that in the book!! And while Frodo was looking into the mirror, Sam was there, too!! :evil:

Well, even though you all probably want to stalk me now, I'll leave it at that. Please don't start an angry mob. And I honestly thought that the FotR movie was one of the best movies I'd ever seen. Really!
orlandogirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2002 06:53
ok, I thought of another thing that bugs me. When Gandalf did his whole creepy trick thing in Bag End (I'm not trying to rob you, I'm trying to help you), it really annoys me. If anyone noticed, Bilbo is scared against the wall. When Gandalf finally shuts up, Bilbo runs over to him and hugs him. While he's running, he says "Bilbo." WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THAT?? I just don't get it. ok, i'll shut up now.:blush:
harmada1legolasluva
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2002 10:50
hey orlandogirl i totally agree wit u frodo is definetly cute but not nearly as hot as legolas. he is burnin hot!:evil::love::heart:
threerings,etc.
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2002 10:52
yea, it's that moment when Galadriel goes techno--and i was not terribly fond of the cave troll, although it was very geo. lucas. I wish,also, that the friendship between gimli, and leoglas could have been developed more. and, of course,that whole thing where galadiel is welcoming gimli to Lorien--you know,"it seemed that he looked into the heart of an enemy and saw a friend." But i know that there are time and space limitations necessary to film--and the movie was better than any of us a few decades ago would have believed possible.
Carancoe
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2002 11:08
Gosh, there's something that annoys me, but I can't remember! Waah!

Um.... what was it.. oh yeah! Remember when Arwen first appears, she's in a white dress. Seconds later, on the horse, she's in a kind of grey-ish jacket. Coincidence? I don't think so!
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: October 28, 2002 11:35
I've always understood why he saw her bathed in light, but I've always thought having her wear a completely different outfit was a little extreme. Plus, I love her riding get-up.
highlandergirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2002 11:32
I seem to remember someone throwing an apple on the cave-troll...not~the worst of~ but kind of cheesy. I laughed out loud at the theatre (no one else did.) I have an odd sense of what's amusing....
harmada1legolasluva
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2002 03:03
well, u no carancoe, itz probably suposed 2 be lyke frodo is seeing arwen as an angel, n itz not sposed 2 b wut evry1 else cz
Lady_Galadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2002 10:01
i think the movie is great but there are so many mistakes. i have a few but im not sure if some have been said already but anyway:
-that scarecrow which moves in the field scene grr:angry:
-In Bree when the hobbits are sitting in the pub, and Pippin is at the bar. Frodo asks Butterbur who strider is-Pippin has reappeared in his seat!!
-does Gandalf has a spare staff and hat or something? under his cloak?
-after Aragorn has killed lurtz he runs over to boromir, but as he runs past two orcs they both move without him touching them. One lifts his head up quite high and then puts it back down
grrr!!
Carancoe
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2002 12:35
when Gandalf can't find the password for the doors of Moria...

"Oh Jesus"

I mean, really! This is about the ONLY film I've ever seen (aside from Shrek) that doesn't take the Lord's name in vain, and yet somehow, they manage it! Grr..

Now, it might not be, but I definitely hear it on my stereo. Anyone to disagree? Maybe!
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: October 31, 2002 02:02
*Offers Carancoe a couple Q-tips...*

I do believe he says, "It's useless..." but I'm checking on the subtitles as I write and will edit this if I need to...

*tries not to smile at Carancoe*

It's now official... he says: "Oh, it's useless..." So saith the subtitles...

[Edited on 11/1/2002 by Elerrina]
Vanayavie
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2002 09:31
~I thought the movie was good!~
It must have been very har to make a movie like that!
I mean Tolkien can´t be there to help them!
I think they did a great work!
Thats all from me!:angry:
Galarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2002 09:04
1. Haha Gandalf breakdancing in that wizard battle was really deranged!! It was sort of funny, even I must admit, but I really wish that he hadn't looked like Kid Rock....
2. Honestly, I didn't notice the car in the backround. I saw it 5 times, but maybe they edited it out or sumthing?
3. I agree with you all, Frodo is cute, but I think Legolas was an awful lot hotter, do any of you agree??:heart::love:
4. I personally though that the line Sam said was really touching (I'm such a softy:blush:
"Don't you lose him, Samwise Gamgee, and I don't mean to. =hug="
~sniff~sniff~ That was so sweet!!:cry::cry:
5. Another thing about the movie that made me cry (with ANGER) was LIV TYLER. I mean, she's a good actress and all, but I really liked Glorifindel!! WHY oh WHY did they cut him out? He was such a cool dude!! And wut's up with her taking frodo on her horse and practically humping him?? AAAHHH it annoys the freakin' heck out of me!!:angry:
6. I also think they should not have made Galadriel turn into, well, what was that thing anyway? I don't recall her doing that in the book!! And while Frodo was looking into the mirror, Sam was there, too!! :evil:

Well, even though you all probably want to stalk me now, I'll leave it at that. Please don't start an angry mob. And I honestly thought that the FotR movie was one of the best movies I'd ever seen. Really!

** Yep, I certainly agree about the Legolas being much hotter than Frodo..:love: :drool:
Actually I agree about everything u said. I didn´t like Liv Tyler too much, either. i mean it would have been much COOLER if glorfindel had saved them.
like a real hero:blush:
I saw the film bout 9 times now and I NEVER, NEVER saw the car OR the sticker on the apple..too bad
<< First678910Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email