Register

<< First7891011Last >>
Author Topic:
Galarwen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Things that bug me... Mistakes of FotR
on: November 05, 2002 09:13
one question which I keep on asking myself is: WHY THE HECK did they have to leave out all the nice parts in Lothlorien?????????
But there´s one thing of which I thought they made a real good job of was the Argonath. It´s soooo awesome
Anyway, could someone please tell me why Aragorn took the arm thingies (you know the ones with the tree of Gondor on them ) from Boromir?
Glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2002 09:18
i mean it would have been much COOLER if glorfindel had saved them.

I hear ya. It's bad enough that they had to kill me off in the Silmarillion, but to cut me out of the movie altogether?! They could have at least given me the option of a tragic albeit quick death scene to explain my disappearance.
gimli4
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2002 12:18
WHY THE HECK did they have to leave out all the nice parts in Lothlorien?????????

I would have loved to see alot of the parts mentioned in the book being put into the movie.

As for things I didn't like, well thats a hard one

I didn't like when Galadriel went berserk. It really freaked me out, and it made the movie look kind of bad at that part.

The only other thing...Would probably have been....

I really don't think there is one

[Edited on 6/11/2002 by gimli4]
Vanayavie
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2002 01:19
I just have a small complain...
The translation for "Give up the halfling she-elf" in Swedish was "Give up the halfling fairy"....
But elf and fairy in Swedish are quite similar..
elf "alv" and fairy "älva" but I am very angry!!!:angry::angry::angry:
lithoniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2002 09:29
the ting that bugs me the most is when they are in moria and legolas is on the trolls shoulders....he looks soooo computer animated....:angry: especially when he jumps off..
fixer
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2002 10:31
The thing that bugs me the most is the 'Youtalkintome?'-expression on Sam's face when he lets Frodo walk in front as they leave the Shire. He does the same thing at the end of the movie when they walk into Mordor. Shouldn't he look concerned?
highlandergirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2002 04:56
There's another thing that bugs me. When Frodo takes that hit in Moria he's acting all mortally wounded, for a slightly extended period. Then everyone sees the mithril and his drama suddenly stops and he's fine.

[Edited on 9/11/2002 by highlandergirl]
emmysuze
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2002 07:16
Hi everyone, newbie here. I don't know if you've mentioned this before, but it really irritates me and that is the fact that Legolas arrives at the council on a horse with a saddle and a bridle. That's just plain wrong. Elves are supposed to be at one with nature and ride bare-back. I am going to insuffrable during the Two Towers when he is riding Arod. I've been squinting at Gandalf on Shadowfax in the trailers and I'm sure I can see a faint bridle on Shadowfax, but I'm not too sure. I'll have to wait to see it in the cinema I suppose.
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: November 12, 2002 07:54
I've been squinting at Gandalf on Shadowfax in the trailers and I'm sure I can see a faint bridle on Shadowfax, but I'm not too sure.---emmysuze

To me, it looks like Shadowfax has something around the base of his neck... you can see it like a loop from his withers down. I can't see any bridle though. I'm hoping to be amazed at what the've been able to get that horse to do without anything obvious going on...
~Eowyn~
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2002 05:41
It has to be that moment where Galadriel goes coo-koo. What's with it? I also don't understand the thing with Arwen's dresses when she arrives, though both of them are really cool so I don't mind it much. But WHY did they disclude Tom Bombadil?
Arien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 14, 2002 11:58
Hello. Just like the everyone else who answered this poll, I too love the movie to death yet have at least one pet peeve. The most annoying of which is the scene where Galadriel (you know what scene) where she goes crazy and speaks of passing some kind of test. And while we're on the subject does anyone know why she does this and what kind of test she has passed? I honestly don't remember this being in the book.
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: November 14, 2002 07:59
And while we're on the subject does anyone know why she does this and what kind of test she has passed?--- Arien

The test she passed was the temptation to take the Ring, which Frodo wanted to give to her... and I believe her transformation was in the book, tho represented in a little different fashion.
Seolta
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2002 06:06
When I first viewed the film and immediately noticed that Tom Bombadil and the whole Barrow Downs experience had been left out, I was also disappointed, but then realized that it was a practical decision, made to keep the movie to a manageable length for commercial purposes.

As far as Galadriel's 'going crazy', I grant that it would be puzzling to anyone who wasn't familiar with the book.

The thing is, she is one of the most powerful of the Elves, an original ringbearer herself. She knows exactly the kind of incredible power which the One Ring would give her and it both frightens and tempts her at the same time. The entire 'Galadriel's Mirror' scene (with the notable exception of Sam's absence) was straight from the book, so PJ was faithful to Tolkien's concept, inasmuch as he could be.

Her final dialogue in that scene, "I have passed the test. I will diminish and go into the west and remain Galadriel", is a reference to:

1) Galadriel having faced and overcome the incredible temptation to rule the earth by possessing the One Ring. ("I have passed the test.")

2) The fact that, if the quest to destroy the One Ring is successful, all of the remaining rings of power, including the one she wears, will lose much of their potency and that the ringbearers themselves will become less powerful. ("I will diminish...")

3) That the dominion of Men in Middle Earth is on the ascendency and that the Eldar (Elves) as a race are leaving Middle Earth and returning west via the Grey Havens, from whence they originally came. ("...and go into the west and remain Galadriel.")
Andaariel
CoE Party Planning Admin & Proud Mommy
Send Message
on: November 15, 2002 09:04
I must say that I agree with basically everyone has said, and I almost regret reading all this because I now have more things to bother me a little when I watch the movie. AAAAAND we get to find even more little mistakes now that the special edition dvd is out with new scenes! Yippee! (ha ha)

And for those who are complaining about Legolas (and all the girls sigh) not riding bareback like he should be, I have a few things to say. First of all, I have a magazine sitting in front of me right now with pics from the TT in it...he is on his horse and Gimli is behind him...and I see both saddle and bridle. A little disapppointing until you think about the fact that Orlando (as far as I know) hadn't had a whole lot of horse experience going in to the film. It was probably hard enough to learn to do all the riding and tricks with a saddle/bridle let alone without one.

Oh, and as for the infamous car, I have yet to see it...but I think that's because I refuse to look for it!

Take care all!
Nimrodelanduin
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2002 04:26
We can never see the car... but did anyone noticed that when frodo asks aragorn, "Would u destroy it?" the ring says "aragorn... estel..."
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: November 16, 2002 10:45
Alas, the infamous car has been edited out of the DVD/tape, along with some of the other boo-boos...

I hadn't noticed the Ring's comments with Aragorn... I'll listen for it next time.
Carancoe
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2002 05:53
*Offers Carancoe a couple Q-tips...*

I do believe he says, "It's useless..." but I'm checking on the subtitles as I write and will edit this if I need to...

*tries not to smile at Carancoe*

It's now official... he says: "Oh, it's useless..." So saith the subtitles...

[Edited on 11/1/2002 by Elerrina]
\

Yuss!

FOTR remains the BEST movie ever, for a thousand reasons!

And as for the 'aragorn.. estel' that's just the Ring's temptations.
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: November 18, 2002 11:31
Well, I'm not wading through ten pages of posts to see if or how often this has been mentioned before; I'll just say it--those danged tomahtoes! Yikes! M-e is supposed to be the European continent of what, 10-15,000 years ago--and they're eating tomatoes, which, like every other member of the deadly nightshade family, is indigenous to the American continent, and was considered poisonous and inedible until the early part of the 19th century??? Couldn't somebody have done their homework on that one?

For some reason this didn't really bother me till the X-DVD with its much improved voicetrack, and you can clearly hear the Hobbits talking about tomatoes. **Sigh**
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: November 18, 2002 11:33
Well, I'm not wading through ten pages of posts to see if or how often this has been mentioned before; I'll just say it--those danged tomahtoes! Yikes! M-e is supposed to be the European continent of what, 10-15,000 years ago--and they're eating tomatoes, which, like every other member of the deadly nightshade family, is indigenous to the American continent, and was considered poisonous and inedible until the early part of the 19th century??? Couldn't somebody have done their homework on that one?

For some reason this didn't really bother me till the X-DVD with its much improved voicetrack, and you can clearly hear the Hobbits talking about tomatoes. **Sigh**
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: November 18, 2002 11:36

Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: November 18, 2002 11:37

Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: November 19, 2002 10:36
True, Scothia.... but it IS fiction... *laughs* give the guy a break!! :love: :love:
Firnheledien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 19, 2002 06:36
My most hated scene? Arwen most definitely. She stole Frodo's glory at the Ford, not to mention her daddy's.
And there's something wrong with asfaloth. It's either the guys who were doing the Nazgul were running too fast or Asfaloth was too slow. I thought Elf-horses were capable of outrunning the Nazgul.

I can't sem to find the car. But no matter.

Yea, I agree that the Council was too heated. But y'know maybe PJ needed action or whatever.
Gypsy
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2002 01:25

1, Frodo's dance at Bilbo's party...what was that?!?!

You know, I asked myself that very same question...*chuckles evilly*
Gypsy
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2002 01:28

3) When Strider pushes Frodo up the stairs at the inn, it just looks really obvious to me that it's the little person, not Elijah. Actually, there are several times in the movie that it's obviously the little person--especially when they're walking. They move completely differently.

Urgh, I'll tell you when that REALLY annoys me...when Boromir tries to take the ring, and there is a shot of 'Frodo' backing away from Boromir, and it so ISN'T Elijah Wood!
Gypsy
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2002 01:40
I don't know if someone's brought this up. It's too late to sit and wade through 10 pages to find out. But did anyone else notice the CLOAKS?

Let me explain.

When Frodo and Sam set off, they are wearing those gorgeous green cloaks. They are very distinctive because the clasp at the neck is shaped like a leaf. ANYWAY.

When the fellowship set off after the council of Elrond, they all have MATCHING green cloaks, with leaf-shaped clasps. Where in Rivendell do they have cloaks the same as those made in The Shire (where Frodo and Sam's presumably came from...) ?? The elves just HAPPENED to have exact replicas of the hobbit's cloaks? Convienient, huh?
Gypsy
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2002 09:50
Ha ha, I finally saw the car!
Gypsy
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2002 11:15
I don't know if someone's brought this up. It's too late to sit and wade through 10 pages to find out. But did anyone else notice the CLOAKS?

Let me explain.

When Frodo and Sam set off, they are wearing those gorgeous green cloaks. They are very distinctive because the clasp at the neck is shaped like a leaf. ANYWAY.

When the fellowship set off after the council of Elrond, they all have MATCHING green cloaks, with leaf-shaped clasps. Where in Rivendell do they have cloaks the same as those made in The Shire (where Frodo and Sam's presumably came from...) ?? The elves just HAPPENED to have exact replicas of the hobbit's cloaks? Convienient, huh?

You know, I think I've posted about 10 times in this thread, in a row. Ah well.

I'm more 'with it' now on the cloaks issue, since I just saw that bit on the extended VHS. But I'm still SURE some of them had those cloaks AGES before they reached Lothlorien. I'm absolutely positive!

I'm gonna have to go watch the whole thing again now, keeping my eyes peeled for green cloaks!
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: November 28, 2002 11:43
I agree they had cloaks before they got to Lorien.... but they weren't the same. Sam and Frodo had different colors of cloaks. I haven't noticed the colors of the rest of the fellowship, particularly... but I know they all had the gift cloaks from Galadriel when they left Lorien... not before.
telpenoviel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2002 12:29
you think eught is alot! i have seen it like maybe 15 times i theaters and then maybe 50 or 60 times since i own it!
but i never oticed the car, ill have to look for it! what i hate is how much they added when they could hvae just stuck to the basic theme and had as much time used up! the height does seem to very each time you see, say, merry. and if you look closly eough you will see a hobbit in the background right over legolas's head i moria when they all think frodod is dead ad they are gathered around him! [u] it really makes me mad that they cut all of legolas's lines. you people who have read the look will agree with me that they should have put i the whole barrow whight and forest thing. that would have so fit into there blood and gore and hauted house theme don't you think?
Gypsy
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2002 12:56
I agree they had cloaks before they got to Lorien.... but they weren't the same. Sam and Frodo had different colors of cloaks. I haven't noticed the colors of the rest of the fellowship, particularly... but I know they all had the gift cloaks from Galadriel when they left Lorien... not before.

That's going to bug me now until I establish whether I'm right or not. Call me crazy, but I'm absolutely CONVINCED that the hobbits, if not the others, wore those cloaks before the got to Lorien. So, either they did, or I'm going crazy. Ladies, place your bets!
Gypsy
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2002 01:00
To me he sounds like he's saying (with his tone and emphasis)... "What the he**, just one more thing we DON'T need!!" In a sort of sweetly sarcastic way...

I think it's a great line... and delivered very well. Sean Bean did a great job all the way...

*** Elerrina heads out to the Casting Forum... AGAIN!! *** :love: :love: :love: :love:

Yeah, I really love that delivery. He just sounds so PO'd! It's like "Oh great, a cave troll. What next?" LMAO!

(Just reading back a few pages...in case you wondered why I dredged that up!)

[Edited on 29/11/2002 by Gypsy]
telpenoviel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2002 02:16
i did't see the car, can you tell me what they were doing so that i may look for it and maybe even find it! but other than that i agree. they do look lke they are walking on stilts.
highlandergirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2002 02:32
To me he sounds like he's saying (with his tone and emphasis)... "What the he**, just one more thing we DON'T need!!" In a sort of sweetly sarcastic way...

I think it's a great line... and delivered very well. Sean Bean did a great job all the way...

*** Elerrina heads out to the Casting Forum... AGAIN!! *** :love: :love: :love: :love:

Yeah, I really love that delivery. He just sounds so PO'd! It's like "Oh great, a cave troll. What next?" LMAO!

(

They showed that scene on t.v. as a FotR teaser, and when I heard the way he said that.. so matter of fact...I was stuck on Sean Bean as Boromir right then, before I even saw the movie. Lol, glad you all thought that, too. ( Great minds thinking alike! )
* heads off to join Ellerina in C.F *
Altariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2002 07:24
Geez! I didn't know there were so many mistakes! I will look for them, though! It really makes me feel not-observant when I don't see the mistakes in the movie.
<< First7891011Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email