<< First89101112Last >>
Author Topic:
waenlotien
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Things that bug me... Mistakes of FotR
on: November 30, 2002 12:20
I read the first uuumm, like 6 pages, gave up and here i am LOL

things that bothered me about the movie (some may be repeated)

1. ok back to something i have read earlier, the car thing ( i never saw it in the theatre, just at home on vhs) which means that the sides are cropped and I missed it.

2. everyones eyes and accents changing throughout

3. beginning, what did frodo do with the book he was reading when gandalf showed up, left it on the ground for mother nature??

4. yeah the thing with the firework, they were chearing it on, until it became a dragon, it was still same firework, DUH

5. ok i saw somemention Arwen riding barefoot during chase, hmmm, i must have different version, cause she is wearing blackboots on mine

6. i saw someone mention they would be upset if legolas was on a saddle for TTT because elves dont need them, hmmmm didn't anyone see the same ride with arwen and frodo, they were on a saddle

7. yeah the break dance thing wayyyyyyy out there

8. Gandalfs cheap parlour trick, telling bilbo he wasn't using cheap parlour tricks?? what gives there?? LOL

9. i liked the way Sauramon had the eretheral glow of him coming down the stairs, you cuold see the "magic" around him.

10. Boromir- ya gotta love that line, They have a cave troll, LMAO its like he is saying wow, what next??? hehehe

11. troll in sunlight not turning to stone bothered me

12. after the fight , they run out the side of the room, that had the shaft of light pouring into it (this is for the book part too) why didnt they run that way after they barred the doors and try to avoid they fight??

13. frodo getting stabbed yet again?? gees poor guy should have stayed home, but here is point i make, both times he was stabbed on his left side, why then is the whole in his shirt on the right side?? hmmmmm

14. i too missed themn getting the presents from glady, that was important i think

15. i have watched the movie almost 200 times, nd i have only seen the "gift cloaks" after the saw her

16. when boromir died, why didnt they put the weapons of those he killed at his feet with him??

17. why didnt they pick up meri and pips armour that was left behind??

18. when they were fighting the urak-hai, why werent the other orcs there???

19. i pictured boromir with longer hair, although sean bean did an excellent job, why didnt they make his hair longer?? he was wearing a wig after all. in LOTR facts, only one person wasnt wearing a wig and it was a hobbit

20. i saw talk of the riders looking backwards at the ford, uumm of course you would, wouldnt you want to see what was coming crashing up behind you??

21. i miss bombadilland goldberry, and the giving of the "swords"

22. i saw someone say something about orcs, they are elves who went evil

23. where did bill the pony come from?? and it looks like a horse to me

24. yes the railing at rivendell?? if they came to frodos waist, then they would come to an elves knees?? LOL

25. i missed the dialogue with legolas and gimli too

26. i think i better stop for now LOL, i am not even half way through lol

thanks for letting me gripe LOL

[Edited on 30/11/2002 by kym]
Gypsy
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2002 12:57
21. i miss bombadill and goldberry, and the giving of the "swords"

I missed the 'Run naked in the grass' part.

Another thing...in the extended version, when Bilbo is writing his 'Concerning Hobbits' bit, he yells "Frodo, get the door!" Yet when Gandalf turns up a short time later, Bilbo yells and says he's not answering the door to anyone...also, there is no longer anyone at the door, or inside the house...did they just get bored and go away?!
xplastikonox
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2002 11:21

1, Frodo's dance at Bilbo's party...what was that?!?!

You know, I asked myself that very same question...*chuckles evilly*

The worst thing about that.... I think it was choreographed! I was watching Disc 4 of the SE, and saw a man *NOT IN HOBBIT GEAR* doing the dance in front of Elijah, it looked like he was teaching him how to do it. Oh, the horror!:cry:
Galadriel_The_Hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2002 09:08
a bit that bugged me. (dunno why) Was when Gimli tryed to destroy the ring.. with his Axe. Then later picked up his axe and joined frodo. Um.. I thought he just broke it.
Is that just me?..... Probably. Though he could have just tacken one of the other Dwarves' Axes.. But then it's not HIS axe.
Elwing
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2002 12:39
For a long time Tolkien fan, who has been able to get used even to the potatoe-faced & mini-skirted Aragorn of Bakshi's, I've been overwhelmingly pleased with the FoTR. Inspite of it's deviations and omissions of the original plot (the extended DVD is soooo much better). But there's one thing that bugs me every time MORE as I see it. This must have been mentioned before, but anyway, it's Gandalf's and Saruman's fight.

Not the struggle itself, but the way PJ has made them use their stafs. It implicates that the wizard's power is somehow connected with his staf, so when Saruman takes G's staf away, Saruman has won & Gandalf lost most of his strength.

This thing (alone) leads to some awkward questions, like where did Gandalf get his staf back (he seems to have the same staf in Shire as in Rivendell), and why didn't G. use his staf(=magic power) against the Orcs in Moria (this was asked me by one young watcher, who hasn't read the book yet: why bother to wield his sword when he should've lifted the orcs up with his staf???)

The Black Riders are so much more awesome in Bakshi's movie than in LotR, aren't they?
Lil-Hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2002 01:50
This thing (alone) leads to some awkward questions, like where did Gandalf get his staf back (he seems to have the same staf in Shire as in Rivendell)

Y'know, I think he has a constant supply of staffs! Jus' like Gimili's axe. It gets all smash-ed up at the council scene, but, later on.. he has another..? I mean, does he have more than one? Or have Rivendell got a secret arms-supply that no-one knows about? Hmm..

Another one that annoys me is the Caradhras scene. Just where *is* Bill?

Oh, and has anyone noticed, that on the VHS/DVD cover for FoTR, Arwen has her scratchy-cut-thing on the WRONG side of her face? If you look on the movie, it's on the right, but on the cover it's the left.

Another thing that bugs me (it isn't really a mistake, just really annoying) is the whole scene where Elrond is healing Frodo. I mean, the white light, the little chanting-Elrond, the moaning Frodo? God.. *hisses.*

Oh, and sorry Arwen-fans, but I WANT GLORFINDEL! :evil:

[Edited on 8/12/2002 by Lil-Hobbit]
Galadriel_The_Hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2002 02:03
Y'know, I think he has a constant supply of staffs! Jus' like Gimili's axe. It gets all smash-ed up at the council scene, but, later on.. he has another..? I mean, does he have more than one? Or have Rivendell got a secret arms-supply that no-one knows about? Hmm..

Thats what i was wondering. the whole "AND MY AXE" bit is kinda wrong. I'll just stick with "and my bag of doritos"... Long story!

Another one that annoys me is the Caradhras scene. Just where *is* Bill?

Well, Duy, He puts on the ring.
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: December 08, 2002 09:17

Oh, and has anyone noticed, that on the VHS/DVD cover for FoTR, Arwen has her scratchy-cut-thing on the WRONG side of her face? If you look on the movie, it's on the right, but on the cover it's the left.

That's just mirroring to make images fit together better. If it had suddenly been on a different side during her flight to the ford, then I would have started throwing things at the tv :blush:

Well, Duy, He puts on the ring.

And many thanks to GtH for providing my daily CoE laugh
Lollypop
Air Hostess of Gwaihir
Send Message
on: December 13, 2002 04:22

Hehehee... funny...

But actually Gimli doesn't smash his own axe at the council, he takes the axe of the dwarf sitting next to him... so at the end of the scene Gimli still has *his* axe...
Melanna
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2002 03:09
Not a mistake just something that bugs me cos I don't understand it-Galadriel saying 'One who has seen TIME!' plus close up of her eyes; its a vision Frodo sees. But why? what is she going on about? It's not in the book.
Lollypop
Air Hostess of Gwaihir
Send Message
on: December 14, 2002 05:59
I think she actually says 'The one who has seen The Eye'...
Lil-Hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2002 04:51

But actually Gimli doesn't smash his own axe at the council, he takes the axe of the dwarf sitting next to him... so at the end of the scene Gimli still has *his* axe...

Ahh, I see now.. Must look closer when watching FoTR vid. Annoyingly fuzzy TV doesn't help matters..
Mind you, that was rather rude of him wasn't it? That dwarf might have made that axe himself! Or been given it for his brithday by a favorite uncle or something! Tut-tut, Gimili, I shall be watching you closely in future..
highlandergirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2002 05:16
I think she actually says 'The one who has seen The Eye'...

I think she says that too, but it's the way she says it...she's acting totally freaky, and I'd be scared of her!...Is it just a huge time of testing that is making her so creepy and wonkers? Good thing they added the ex. scene of her being kind to Gimli and him adoring her because otherwise people who haven't read the book might get the wrong idea of her.
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 15, 2002 06:04
Well, I'm not wading through ten pages of posts to see if or how often this has been mentioned before; I'll just say it--those danged tomahtoes! Yikes! M-e is supposed to be the European continent of what, 10-15,000 years ago--and they're eating tomatoes, which, like every other member of the deadly nightshade family, is indigenous to the American continent, and was considered poisonous and inedible until the early part of the 19th century??? Couldn't somebody have done their homework on that one?

For some reason this didn't really bother me till the X-DVD with its much improved voicetrack, and you can clearly hear the Hobbits talking about tomatoes. **Sigh**

and what about corn and rabbits? Neither of those existed in england.
Lollypop
Air Hostess of Gwaihir
Send Message
on: December 15, 2002 06:12
lol Lil-Hobbit!

Why DOES he take the other dwarf's axe..? It would've been much more logical for him to use his own axe... yes, and much less rude!

Now this scene has started to bug me too... smashing another guy's axe just like that... grrr...
Kaladan
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2002 10:16
Mistakes. Perhaps it is possible to explain some of these away, but then that just seems to prove that they are mistakes. I also agree with many of the other comments made, though I won't repeat them here.

In Bag End, when Gandalf puts the ring in the fire and then pulls it out with the tongs, he hands it to Frodo and says that Frodo needn’t worry because the ring is “quite cool”. But if he doesn’t know whether it is the one ring, how does it know it is quite cool.

Picky one here: in the extended DVD after they see the wood elves, Frodo says “me neither”. I take it you mean “Neither will I” young Frodo my dear. JRRT would be turning in his grave!

Butterbur seems to be reminded of something when Frodo says that his name is Underhill, but there is no reason for this in the movie.

At the council of Elrond, there is that tension between Aragorn and Boromir when B said Gondor has no King … . But A doesn’t want to be King, so why does he care? Why doesn’t he just say to B that he doesn’t want the job?

At the council, Aragorn says to Boromir that no one can wield the ring except Sauron. This is just not true.

In the Midgewater Marshes, Aragorn throws an apple that hits Pippin in the head. I recond that this would almost knock him out given the distance the apple has been thrown. At least, it would hurt like hell.

In a scene on the plain where you see Arwen being chased by the Ringwraths, there are only 8 wraiths, but there are 9 later on. Did the 9th go off for a quick pint?

When the flood comes, one at least of the riders is very close to the far bank, yet inexplicably decides to run down river.

Twice a character (Elrond at the council and Gandalf in Moria) say that there is only one choice, when what they mean is that there is no choice – not a mistake Tolkien would have made. Incidentally, PJ et al get this right in the commentary.

In the fight between Frodo and Boromir, Frodo seems to physically disappear, not merely become invisible – it seems that B cannot feel him any more.

When Frodo falls off Amon Hen, he falls a long long way and onto the top of his back and head. As someone who has recently fallen from a lesser height, I can tell you he wouldn’t be getting up like he does.

Things I didn’t like.

Why did they change Sam’s line to “I ain’t been dropping no eves” from “there ain’t no eves at Bag End and that’s a fact”. The original is much funnier and actually makes sense.

I don’t like the fact that Frodo is so young. I wish that he was, as he is in the book, older than the other Hobbits. But then I guess that in today’s world, it would be difficult to get people to understand that people of different ages can be very close friends – particularly between young and old men (F and S). It would, of course, have been very familiar to Tolkien being an academic. Wait until you see the motivation for Sam continuing with the ring to be, not Frodo, but the desire to get back to Rosie Cotton in the last movie. That will please the fans, eh?

Cheesy jokes: We’re still in the shire, what could possibly happen? I think I’m getting the hang of this.

I don’t like the way that Aragorn defeats the Wraiths on Weathertop. If one man (and we don’t know who he is yet) can drive away 5 of them on his own, what’s the big deal?

I think that Isuldur is shown as being too corrupt. Surely, he is no more or less corrupt than Boromir. Perhaps it was too much to get this across on the film, but I don’t think so. It would have meant that they wouldn’t have been able to change the Aragorn story as they have, but then I wish that they hadn’t.

When Boromir picks the ring up in the snow, why does he give it to Frodo? OK, perhaps this isn’t a huge thing, but in the book there are only 4 people who have the ring and give it up (Gandalf, Tom B, Bilbo, and Sam) (I think) and, with the exception of Bilbo, they don’t really want it, unlike Boromir.

In the commentaries, PJ & Co discuss why the others do not go to rescue G from falling into the chasm in Moria. PB claims that in the book they don’t go because it is a long way and the bridge is unsafe. But this is not true. In the book A and B DO try to help G before the bridge is broken. In fact, as I read the book, the reason G decides to break the bridge is because A and B come to help him and G knows that A and B will die if they get close. Perhaps not, but PB is surely wrong. Actually, I was struck listening to the commentaries how little the cast and crew seems to know about the wider story. The cast seem to think that Saruman first made the Orcs (though that may have just been a slip).

Oh and PJ says that he gave the Balrog wings b/c it says in the book that it has wings and PJ says that he can’t see what the controversy over the Balrog having wings is all about. I take it that what it is all about if that if it has wings, then why doesn’t it just fly out of the chasm?

I particularly hate the suggestion that Legolas reacts to G and B’s death as he does because, being an immortal elf, he doesn’t understand death. Surely, this is totally implausible. For a start, where was he at the battle of the five armies? Even if he was left at home, surely he noticed that fewer returned. Don’t elves die of accidents? Haven’t any trees fallen on elves or something like that? Where did L learn to fight as he does? Is this really the first time he has been in battle? How can he not know what death is when he spent the last half hour killing orcs? Come on.

Hey, liked the film though!
highlandergirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2002 04:53
I particularly hate the suggestion that Legolas reacts to G and B’s death as he does because, being an immortal elf, he doesn’t understand death.

I agree, I think the elves would understand death more than anyone having seen so many things die..to see ages dying. Their time on Earth is dying even, the entire race...a sorrow mortals couldn't have comprehended. This was my thought:
I did see emotion on his face, but like Aragorn he understands the danger, and being an elf has the ability to not let good judgment and prudence be overruled by his emotions, ( like I do so much!) This was actually a moment I admired Legolas. like he had a deeper understanding of the big picture and knew they had to be about their business.

P.S:
( If it sounds like I'm a weepy Elf-Lover, just know one thing...I am now, and will always be a PML- a Pervy ( but not too pervy) Man Fancier!!! )

[Edited on 17/12/2002 by highlandergirl]
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2002 03:47
At the council of Elrond, there is that tension between Aragorn and Boromir when B said Gondor has no King … . But A doesn’t want to be King, so why does he care? Why doesn’t he just say to B that he doesn’t want the job?

He's going to be King anyway, and he's not about to blurt out to the entire Council that he doesn't think he's fit to be king.

When the flood comes, one at least of the riders is very close to the far bank, yet inexplicably decides to run down river.

I must admit, I saw that too. *shrug* Arwen made him? Magically? *giggles*

In the fight between Frodo and Boromir, Frodo seems to physically disappear, not merely become invisible – it seems that B cannot feel him any more.
It was the sudden shock, I'm telling you.

I don’t like the fact that Frodo is so young. I wish that he was, as he is in the book, older than the other Hobbits. But then I guess that in today’s world, it would be difficult to get people to understand that people of different ages can be very close friends – particularly between young and old men (F and S). It would, of course, have been very familiar to Tolkien being an academic. Wait until you see the motivation for Sam continuing with the ring to be, not Frodo, but the desire to get back to Rosie Cotton in the last movie. That will please the fans, eh?

Films are bound to be different from books because otherwise why make them? Peter Jackson just made the enitre book into a film, no-one would say, "I liked the way he did this", and he culdn't have pride in it. It wouldn't be interesting either; it would drag on and it would bomb in the box office. I have to say, having seen TTT (no spoilers, promise), .. oh, actually, I can't say that. Can I? no, never mind, I'll PM you maybs but it wasn't very interesting etiher. But if you've read anything, you'll have heard a lot of gripes. TTT is the Fall of Gondolin compared to a couple of quick back-street elf-killings.

Cheesy jokes: We’re still in the shire, what could possibly happen? I think I’m getting the hang of this.

You're lucky Peter Jackson isn't one of these "I-think-I-have-a-sense-of-humour" types. At least his jokes are vaguely comprehendable, and sporadic at least.

When Boromir picks the ring up in the snow, why does he give it to Frodo?

But he's only seen the Ring at the Council before that. I think he has strength of character to only really recognise it properly when he picks it up. Also, he's not (strictly speaking), touching it. And there's lots of people around him, eight other people who he's in a very close relationship with. He's a strong person. And re: Isildur?; he just had thinner eyes,

RE: Gandalf & Balrog, rescue (or lack of) -
Wouldn't they be a little scared and slightly hesistant too?..

Actually, I was struck listening to the commentaries how little the cast and crew seems to know about the wider story.

Woah, GROSS generalisation. Phillipa Boyen was a great Tolkien-o-phile. The cast were only employed to act out the characters, and credit them with enough background information at least. The performances were trez fine, and it's not the cast's fault in the end if the storyline is wonky.

I take it that what it is all about if that if it has wings, then why doesn’t it just fly out of the chasm?

Gandalf whacked him pretty hard with the wizard stick, making up for the warped suffering cycle by receiving Pippin's earlier pains.

Where did L learn to fight as he does?

Grew up in Mirkwood.

Hey, liked the film though!
ForeverFree
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2002 05:43
I don’t like the fact that Frodo is so young. I wish that he was, as he is in the book, older than the other Hobbits. But then I guess that in today’s world, it would be difficult to get people to understand that people of different ages can be very close friends – particularly between young and old men

Actually Frodo should look younger given the fact that the ring preserved him like it did for Bilbo. I believe he had it from age 33 to 50 before the journey began, so he would still look quite young in comparison to Sam

I think that Isuldur is shown as being too corrupt

I agree, but as you know he only adopted that look AFTER the ring was in his possession. And when he cut the ring off why was Sauron reaching for him anyway??? To strangle him?

motoxer9264
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2003 02:57
there's nothing that really bugged me (probably b/c i saw the movie before i read the book), but i would've liked some of the funnier parts to be included. for example, the part in the book when Gandalf is thinking of a way to punish Sam for eavesdropping is hilarious! i would've loved to see the look on Sam's face when he hears that he gets to go see the elves as his punishment. what really disappointed me was the fact that they didn't include the hobbit conspiracy. i was laughing my head off when i read that part.
Minyalhaw
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2003 04:00
I don't like what they did with Arwen. Ok, I know they wanted to up the woman's role, but I like it better when Glorfindel and his horse rescued Frodo. I also don't like how they had Legolas be so serious, he was much better in the book. I never saw the car, so I can't comment on that. I also don't like how they didn't show the scene at the mountain where Legolas walked over the snow(he didn't make barely a print, or something like that, and Frodo hadn't noticed the type of shoes he was wearing). I did like the part where Aragorn and the Hobbits were heading for Rivendell and Pippin asks about the second breakfast, then Aragorn tosses some tomatoes or apples( I can't remember, I was too busy laughing). And one hits Pippin.Lol.
ForeverFree
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2003 05:06
When the flood comes, one at least of the riders is very close to the far bank, yet inexplicably decides to run down river

From FotR, last chapter of "Flight to the Ford":

"The black horses were filled with madness, and leaping forward in terror they bore their riders into the rushing flood."

There is your answer
Gilraen*15
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2003 11:11
i dont know if this has been mentioned before but this really bugs me. In the beginning sequence of the film when galadriel talks about the three elven rings. the bearers of the three elven rings were galadriel elrond and cirdan before he gave it to gandalf. so why in that shot do i only recognise galadriel, ok i dont know what cirdan looks like but that other guy should be elrond and its not.
p.s i have never seen a car. never.
ForeverFree
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2003 02:09
- Vilya was given to Gil-Galad originally, until he perished during the last alliance, after which it passed on to Elrond.

So be happy! At least now we know what Gil-Galad looks like.
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: February 04, 2003 07:43
Yeah, it bugged me slightly about the Three Elven Rings in the beginning. The ones they pictured were Galadriel, Gil-Galad, and Cirdan (light haired male elf in the back). In the books, Nenya was given to Galadriel, and the other two (Narya and Vilya) were both given to Gil-Galad. Eventually, Vilya passed to Elrond, and Narya passed to Cirdan.

So, maybe Gil-Galad, Galadriel, and Cirdan had a little "ring-party" before Elrond got a ring!
Gilraen*15
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2003 04:55
really. gil-gallad, how did i miss that from the books. oh well thanks. i think they should mention that elrond has vilya though, maybe they will when he goes over the sea at the end, ooooh i cant wait.
Lasgalen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2003 09:04
What bugs me is when that twig slashes Arwens cheek. Whats up with that?

"Give up the halfling she-elf" also bugs me. Like Tolkien would ever use the term she-elf.

Aragorn and Frodo riding the crumbling staircase bugged me. How did he know it would fall forward instead of lurching to one side. Also, why didn't they toss Frodo over first. He was more important than the other Hobbits.That bugs me, too.

Most of the other things don't bother me too much. I agree Glorfindel would have been better, but I accept his being cut.
Over all, I really enjoyed the movie.

-Lasgalen
PipPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2003 02:22
PipPip pipes in

---the scene where Boromir drops Narsil...I agree with others on this...it just doesn't *work* that he gives that little turn and walks away without picking it up. especially after seeing the extended version and he chatting it up with Strider, not knowing who he is...why would he want to just leave an heirloom like that on the FLOOR?!

---some of the graphics get really goofy. I mean, worse than any video game I've ever seen. especially when Legolas jumps off the cave troll's back. and the group running from the tomb in the Mines. and at times, the false prospective is too obvious and doesn't work. but hey, i'm sure that is really difficult to pull off!

---i adore viggo but at times his aragorn accent was strange. it went all over the place. Note: at the council of elrond, "It has no other master." I laugh my head off when he says that!! also, same scene, he gets this weird neck shake thing going, like a smug sort of look. it doesn't seem in character.

---I only can see the car when I see FotR in the cinema. I never notice it when I watch it at home.

---if the balrog has wings, why can't it just fly instead of fall? are they useless wings?

---arwen. enough said.

---where does Bill go? does the Watcher eat him? hehehe
King_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2003 02:08
It is really annoying because I have been on a site wwhere is says all then FOTR slip-ups, and I always look for that idiotic car, but I can NEVER see it, grrrr :angry: The Watcher does not eat Bill (thanks goodness, poor Bill), and Bill makes his way to Rivendell, and in the end he gets reunited with his beloved Sam again!

Elessar
kingurl
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2003 04:53
Anaedae MUST say something here!!!! OK, I just started reading the books(and I love 'em!!) b/c I liked the movie so much, and frankly, the entire first half of the movie bugs me cuz it doesn't follow the book worth crap. I can deal w/ leaving out Tom Bombadil(He's a little weird anyhoo) But soooo much stuff doesn't fit where it should or is left out completely-Strider having a sense of humor, Gandalf telling Sam not to lose Frodo instead of who actually does. Glorfindel should get his part back, and there are funny little mistakes galore-which I like-they are funny!! But I love the movies anyhow!!!!!
Lasgalen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2003 10:00
I was watching my dvd last night. I saw another thing that really bugs me. Why are the Elves sitting next to Legolas at the council so much taller than he is? That really annoys me.

-Lasgalen
Alaghelediel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2003 05:26
Forgive me if these are all repeated - I dont' have the time and patience to read ALL of these pages...I read probably pages or, so...@_@

In the extended version, you can see Bilbo's foot slop when he's looking for the ring. It's very brief, but I caught it the first time I watched the extended version.

In the council of Elrond scene when everyone's arguing, you can see Gandalf switching back and forth from yelling and looking concerned in Frodo's direction.

I'm sure this has been pointed out - I haven't read the books (yet! Gah! I'm almost done with The Hobbit, though, I promise!) Merry was supposed to solve the riddle to enter Moria, but PJ said he wanted "more Elijah." (this was mentioned on the cast commentary) Most of the cast members that knew better were a bit ticked about that, as am I. >.<

When Arwen changed dresses as she made her first appearance bothered me, because it was weird.

When Arwen is on her horse with Frodo, the distance between her and the Nazgul changes a lot. In one shot she'll be several meters ahead, then the next shot they're right on her, then she's ahead again.

Frodo's proportion against the rails in Rivendell. The proportions are constantly changing throughout the movie, but that's hard to help - they try, but something as careless as that is kind of whoa.

What bothered me more than anything in the movie was how Gandalf's death confused me. Not having read the books, I don't understand why he just let himself fall. There were nice large cracks in the broken bridge that he was holding onto quite firmly, I might add, yet he just lets himself go. >.o

When Aragorn casted Boromir off in the boat, he took his arm guards, but I could have sworn Boromir had them on when he was in the boat. o.O Maybe that's just me.

Another thing that really bothered me was in the end where Frodo was standing at the bank in front of the boats thinking about what Gandalf had said to him. If you watch his tears, he tear on his right is half-way down, no tear trail below the tear yet from any previous tears, and on his left side the tear is all the way down. After the flash back, the tear on the right is all the way down, but the tear on his left is only half way down, but there is no sign of the previous tear having gone all the way down. Yes, I'm a loser, but I've always noticed that. o.O

When they went from Arwen to Rivendell...with the white background and Elrond's head just being there (his eyes freaked me out there o.O Like a bug or something) and the add-in of Frodo in that shot looked so cheap. Oy, I cringe at that part everytime.

Also, the scene with Galadriel's special CG moment. I hated that. lol It looked so bad, in my opinion. The CG was too obvious for comfort. The slow-mo used for it was corny, too. Bah.

And the whole thing with Bill. o.o

Another thing - at Weathertop. Frodo tripping annoyed me. x.X Then he just layed there, not trying to get up, let alone fight with Sting.

[Edited on 13/2/2003 by Alaghelediel]
GuardofLorien25
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2003 06:37
I think that should have had Glorfindel save Frodo instead of Arwen because in the book it was Glorfindel. You are right that scene with the car is totally wrong it is hard to just ignore it. You are also right Alaghelediel about Merry solving the riddle not Frodo. They should have done more based on the book. I am not saying the book is bad or anything it is just that I wish it was more based on what happened in the book. I am sure that if J.R.R. Tolkien was alive he would really enjoy his best works being put into movies. What about all of you?
PipPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2003 05:20
oh forgot one tiny thing that bothered me....when the fellowship arrive to the hall of the dwarf lords in moria, sam's line "not there's any eye-opener and make no mistake" gets totally lost in the loud music. why even have him say the line? grrrr
Aniron_Valandil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2003 06:00
What bugs me is...

No mention of lembas, the specially woven cloaks of Lothlorien, the leaf brooches, or the elven cordial. And the overlooking of Gimli's dialogue with Galadriel and Galadriel's gifts she gave to the Fellowship.

Maybe someone has already addressed this(I havent read that far yet!) this is in the dvd extended edition, to bad they cut it in the theater release.

[Edited on 2/3/2003 by Aniron_Valandil]
<< First89101112Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email