Register

<< First1011121314
Author Topic:
EldarExilePrincess
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Things that bug me... Mistakes of FotR
on: May 18, 2003 07:43
Ok, so I'M not alone! I saw the movie seven times, none in the theater. I hated Frodo falling after he puts on the ring (maybe five times), and Bill materializes at the gates of Moria! Also Haldir was a little too cold and haughty. Gimli spitting when he says "Never trust an elf!" thing. The special effects in Moria needed a bir more polishing. Won't write more cause I won't stop! Yet, I still love the movie and have it memorized! Arwen muttering an incantation to Bruinen, and Elrond commanded it. Direct contradiction. The blond hobbit girl in the beginning. Blond hobbits not born until later. Most of the Elves were blond and blue-eyed, most of actors blue-eyed! Aragorn losing
his accent in Parth Galen ("...I do not know what strength is in my blood" sentence).NO GLORFINDEL!!!!:cry:

[Edited on 26/5/2003 by EldarExilePrincess]
Becki
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 19, 2003 03:35
The only thing that annoyed me was Frodo's little dance at the party, that some people have dubbed 'The Chicken Dance'! To be honest, I couldn't think of a better name for it!

~Becki
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 09:29
*AEvenstar enters conversation and must say her two cents!*

When I first saw the film I was really annoyed at the whole Arwen stealing Glorfindle's (sp?) role but also his horse!!! I mean what's an elf without a script and a horse?? But now I'm getting used to it - and I see why PJ thought it was necessary. But there's another thing from that scene that bugs me - and that's when Arwen holds a sword to Aragorn's throat.
Erm, hello?? Is it just me or is that just a **little** bit off from the Arwen we all know and love!!!:heart: The Arwen from the books (sorry to bring it up due to the fact that this is the movie forum, but anyway) would probably never have even owned a sword never mind held it against the man she loved throat! I mean, what is she trying to say "Marry me or I slit your throat?":dizzy:
I'm not all that bothered about Aragorn's accent - I just assumed it was because Viggo has a quite unusual accent - hwta with his mother being American and his father being Nordic ( from Denmark or Norway or something like that!) I just assumed that certain words, phrases and lines would accentuate his accent. Which by the way is very very cute!!:heart: :love: :drool:
***Aaagh!!! Turning into slushy fan girl must go to Casting Forum to pick up some towels***
And Galadriel going crazy??? When I first saw that at the cinema I almost wet myself - I mean what is with the whole turning blue thing?? That always bugs me!! Is it too cold in Lothlorien for them or something??
Oh, and don't even get me started on Celeborn!! He is supposed to be this wise elf and what does he turn out like??? A garden gnome!! I swear!!
One thing I reallly love though is the way Boromir says "They have a cave troll!" :love: It just makes me laugh everytime!! Can't help it Sean B is just great!!
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 31, 2003 02:15
Hey, there's a lot of mistakes here. PJ would let some critical fans look at RotK before the premiere, cause there's a lot of mistakes in both FotR and TTT - maybe some of the bugs in RotK will be discovered...what do you think?
Nillotiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2003 01:41
well you know what bugs me more than anything else-Arwen:angry:.they completely took off Glorfindel part:cry:.The valar! I hate her.:angry:

Thankfully I haven't noticed the car yet!!

the only thing I didn't like in the Balrog were it's wings,otherwise I think they did that well.:blush:

sauron has a FAT stomach.When he's standing on the edge in the starting(in Mt.Doom) god showing off his new ring oh what a stomach he's got.
:blush:

They make Frodo look soooo helpless!Just being carried off by Aragorn in the Prancing Pony,his sword falling at Weathertop.:dizzy:

Plus they've made such a mess of the book it's not a joke.:angry:

And to contradict all that I still cant help saying that I:love::love: love:love::love: the movie.:blush:

Nillotiel.:evil:
Adanethian
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 04, 2003 03:16
when gimli talks, saliva comes out of his mouth and sticks to his beard...heheheheh.
Nightwraith
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2003 12:29
Heh... I actually didn't like Gimli in the movie... They did some kinda clown out of him.
Steorra
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2003 01:01
sauron has a FAT stomach.When he's standing on the edge in the starting(in Mt.Doom) god showing off his new ring oh what a stomach he's got.

Ha, I noticed that, too. I was watching FOTR once and I randomly said, "Sauron sure is fat!"
Andtalathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2003 07:47
One thing that annoys me, I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but when Frodo leaps from the ledge onto Gandalf's cart to hug him, his little legs just grow... its really odd to watch... look out for it
Andtalathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2003 08:58
Well, I'm not wading through ten pages of posts to see if or how often this has been mentioned before; I'll just say it--those danged tomahtoes! Yikes! M-e is supposed to be the European continent of what, 10-15,000 years ago--and they're eating tomatoes, which, like every other member of the deadly nightshade family, is indigenous to the American continent, and was considered poisonous and inedible until the early part of the 19th century??? Couldn't somebody have done their homework on that one?

For some reason this didn't really bother me till the X-DVD with its much improved voicetrack, and you can clearly hear the Hobbits talking about tomatoes. **Sigh**

and what about corn and rabbits? Neither of those existed in england.

....yes they did.... O_O
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2003 10:57
Heh... I actually didn't like Gimli in the movie... They did some kinda clown out of him.

I totally agree!! I once said that on here and I got pelted with Spiderman piccies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Astaldomenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2003 11:44
Hey,
Well I really couldn't fault the movie, except I really do think that Tom Bombadil should have been included. The way that PJ captured the spirit of the books and put them on the big screen is fascinating.
Lady_Goldberry
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2003 07:57
Well, I'm not wading through ten pages of posts to see if or how often this has been mentioned before; I'll just say it--those danged tomahtoes! Yikes! M-e is supposed to be the European continent of what, 10-15,000 years ago--and they're eating tomatoes, which, like every other member of the deadly nightshade family, is indigenous to the American continent, and was considered poisonous and inedible until the early part of the 19th century??? Couldn't somebody have done their homework on that one?

I was watching the Directors Commentary on the Extended DVD last night and at this scene PJ says that he was told about tomatoes not being there... He said what I was thinking. That it was silly to worry about the tomatoes when there were dragons and balrogs etc..

[Edited on 15/6/2003 by Lady_Goldberry]
eowynshue
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 15, 2003 08:07
it was silly to worry about the tomatoes when there were dragons and balrogs etc..

i agree. and besides, tolkien included potatoes in the books and they werent around back then either
Mirfaen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2003 09:31
One thing I reallly love though is the way Boromir says "They have a cave troll!" It just makes me laugh everytime!! Can't help it Sean B is just great!! - AEvenstar

Couldn't agree more! It cracks me up! Such a priceless line...
Erm, things that bug me... Most of them have been said but I suppose the biggest one is making Gimli a bit of a comic relief character - although that's really a Two Towers complaint - you'd have thought that by the second movie he'd stopped being 'the funny dwarf guy' and developed. After all, Merry and Pippin certainly did. Meh. I'll cope haha.
Oh and the computergame Legolas thing annoys me. And Arwen's voice seems so... deliberately 'elflike'.
But they're such minor complaints they really don't bother me too much.
~mirfaen~
eowynshue
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 18, 2003 11:38
i have no idea if this has been mentioned before, but i was doing some research on glorfindel last night and something came to me: in the film arwen has that "glow" about her when she comes to rescue frodo, and she's in both the real world and the "other side" (shown by the changes in her appearance and the glow). BUT she shouldnt be able to do that. in the book gandalf says something about only elves who had dwelt in "the Blessed Realm" could be in both worlds at once. as far as i know, arwen's never been there. she shouldnt be able to do this! thats gonna annoy me every time i see that part now...

(hope that made sense)

and galadriels "radioactive" scene bugs me, mainly the bit of cate in slow motion, it looks kinda strange

also boromirs hand disappearing and reappearing on aragorns shoulder during the death scene. that really ruins the whole "oh no boromirs dying" feeling

i'm certain the boat frodo and sam are hugging in at the end of the film changes position in the water. one shot its pointing to the shore, and then the next its pointing towards the waterfall

when theyre in moria the computer generated running looks so fake. and when theyre running in front of the fire it doesnt look right

and since watching the matrix a couple of times i cant watch elrond without laughing. keep expecting him to say "welcome to rivendell, mr anderson" or something.

theres more that annoy me but i can think of them at the moment

[Edited on 19/6/2003 by eowynshue]
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2003 11:38
i have no idea if this has been mentioned before, but i was doing some research on glorfindel last night and something came to me: in the film arwen has that "glow" about her when she comes to rescue frodo, and she's in both the real world and the "other side" (shown by the changes in her appearance and the glow). BUT she shouldnt be able to do that. in the book gandalf says something about only elves who had dwelt in "the Blessed Realm" could be in both worlds at once. as far as i know, arwen's never been there. she shouldnt be able to do this! thats gonna annoy me every time i see that part now...

(hope that made sense)

That made perfect sense and I've often wondered about it myself. I mean Arwen was born in Rivendell, has never been to Valinor and never will be because she gives up her immortality to be with Aragorn. :dizzy:
Morion
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 02, 2003 03:13
Bombadil... no Tom Bombadil. THEY FORGOT BOMBADIL! It just totally screws things up. Bombadil is a vital part of the story. And also the barrow-wight, and old man willow. And then I agree with Rivka about the balconies in Rivendell.
Lady~of~the~Shield~Arm
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2003 08:56
All I want to say: I've seen the FotR DVD for the 11th time yet, and I still don't see any CAR!!! :cry: :angry:
Nienna-of-the-Valar
Loremaster of the Edain
Send Message
on: July 10, 2003 02:09
*Arwen, you don't really think that they would leave it in the digital home release do you? They edited it out
Ereinion
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 10, 2003 02:06
Time for my major movie dislikes list. Here Goes:

1. Time elapsed between the party and leaving.

2. Maggot, Crickhollow, And Gildor.

3. The old forest, Tom, Barrow-wights:angry:

4. Butterbur, the sequence with the ring, Bill (both)

5. THe part on weathertop when Frodo is stabbed

6. The trolls

7. No Glorfindel, Arwen summons flood:angry:

8. THe entire council, Frailty of men part

9. not saruman at caradhras

10. Stone, not skeleton in Moria

11. Should be orc chieftan, not cave troll

12. entry in Lorien

13. lembas, Lorien part

14. gifts

15. uruk hai

16. frodo attacked by Boromir, boat

17. Boromir doesn't die yet.

Lots of other minor details, but that would take me all night to explain and elaborate on all the problems.
telquellewen_greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2003 08:34
SUILAD!!!

did you ever notice this: :drool:

when the company was starting to climb up Caradhras, Frodo felt that the ring wasnt around his neck. at the same time, Boromir happend to pick up the ring and lifts it. He was murmuring "so small a thing..." and Aragorn, called him "Boromir!"

NOTICE ARAGORN'S HAND. IT WAS JUST RESTING ON THE HILT OF HIS SWORD. RIGHT!??

Then, when he calls "BOROMIR!*Boromir finally gets out of trance* GIVE THE RING TO FRODO."

Boromir hands the ring to frodo, and frodo snatches it from his hand.

LOOK AT ARAGORN'S HAND AGAIN (IT WILL BE SHOWN UP CLOSE)

HE LOOSENS HIS GRIP UPON THE HILT. RIGHT???

he didn't have his hand upon the hilt at first right. then, he loosened his grip when Boromir finally hands the ring to frodo.

snowystingray
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2003 03:23
also boromirs hand disappearing and reappearing on aragorns shoulder during the death scene. that really ruins the whole "oh no boromirs dying" feeling

That's the one part that really bothers me, too. That's probably my favourite scene in the movie, but I'm always distracted by the placement of Boromir's arm.
Ranger777
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2003 08:51
Sorry. . . ( not really) but I think you are becoming a little to critical. No one notices half of the things you do, and how much better could you do? Besides, why do you look at small details, and not the big picture. If you should be mad about anything it should be the mistakes, concerining the book. And because we are looking at small details here, I might as well point out that you tried to avoid using profanity in the first couple of sentences, or first- " what the hey!" ? ok. Then you openly say soemthing, that, if I remember correctly that is against the rules of this pace. Being such a high ranking memeber, I thought you would be more concious of that. Excuse me if I was didrespectful.
Saurid
-Yutaka-
··
Beloved\'s Fighter

Send Message
on: July 12, 2003 09:04
With all respect, I believe this is the purpose of this thread, is it not? "Things that Bug ME" thus everyone is free to express their opinion/share their observations. If you do not see the mistakes - good for you! You enjoy the movie without being bothered. As simple as that.

Not to make this entry totally pointless
I think the thing that bothers me most is the balcony in Rivendell It's really the thing one can notice without intentionally looking for mistakes, and also quite a big one. I try not to look at the rest
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: July 13, 2003 02:56
With all respect, I believe this is the purpose of this thread, is it not? "Things that Bug ME" thus everyone is free to express their opinion/share their observations. If you do not see the mistakes - good for you! You enjoy the movie without being bothered. As simple as that.

Exactly, the point of this thread is to say what bugged you about the film. Deep down, we all have those little PJ quirks that we did or didn't like. If you don't want to say anything bugged you, then you don't have to post
Glas
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2003 04:42
Hi, im new here so I hope its okay just to dive in and post away

I'd just like to add some things of my own here. I agree with the comments about Faramir. I was lucky to have seen the film first, so when I read the book Faramir was simply brilliant and it just made the book all the better imo.

As for the thing with Legolas and the horse. Okay, it might not have been real, but come on it was superb! I watched it with my kid yesterday (5yo) and he was simply mesmerised by the whole thing, but the thing with Legolas really caught his attention. For that reason, I am glad it was there. If the film has had at least some appeal to youngsters so that more will grow up appreciating Tolkiens works, that is a good thing isnt it?

Btw hate to shatter some people's illusions, but there will be no scouring of the shire in the 3rd film. Not that I have heard it officialy, but when you consider 2 things which were not in RotK, you will see why.

1. Sam doesnt get the gift of the box from the Lady Galadriel, which was central to him saving the shire, and;

2. Sam doesnt look in Galadriel's mirror with Frodo, and so does not see what 'may come to pass' in the Shire.

One thing we know that will be in RotK is Shelob. Remember the end of TTT when Gollum says he will get 'her' to kill them?

Anyone think of any other pointers that we can take from the first 2 films?
Glas
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2003 04:49
Ooops sorry, the last post should have been in the 'Things that bugged me about TTT' thread. I'll just copy + paste it to there where it is relevant, sorry for the confusion
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2003 04:01
:cry: they recked the essence of the books by putting it on screen. I liked the movies, but they stand alone, not really paralelling the books. Tons of stuff is left out or misplaced. And that darn car.....
Huan2003
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2003 02:30
I can't believe any of you guys have noticed that Sam seems to lose weight and then in the next scene magically gain it back! Bye Now! y

YOu should all join a realm!
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2003 12:10
Sam loses weight in Rivendell doesn't he? But that's because that shot was a pick-up and he'd already lost all the weight and didn't have time to put it back on again.

Huan - I'm a member of a Ream the Realm of Varda. What about you?
Moogan1689
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2003 06:41
there arent' that many things that bothers me about this one. for instance, NO TOM BOMBADIL! why? umm.. Arwen is in it too much! luckily i haven't seen the car yet.. perhaps cuz i've been watching it on DVD. when Boromir's dying and he's like stroking Aragorn's hair.... kinda disturbing. why does frodo have like green puke/pus stuff coming out of his mouth after he's been stabbed by the morgul blade. and in the books, aragorn always has the broken blade and then in Rivendell the elven smiths repair it. Saruman doesn't try to bring down the mountain in the book, it's the mountain itself. why is it like that in the movie? they took too much from the second one at the end of the movie. and they cut ttt too short... the cave troll didn't look right to me. however i've kinda gotten used to it. they didn't showthe gifts in Lothlorien in the theatrical version and in the Special edition, Sam doesn't get his box. :cry: how's he supposed to save the Shire now?
but still after all this, i still absolutely :heart: the movies!:love:
Taur_othar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2003 08:23
i am not going to read 13 pages worth of posts to see if this was mentioned but i started reading the books every year since 3rd grade and i really bugged about Arwen being in the place of glorfindel. i know most people don't care because it introduced Arwen into the movie but it just plain bugs me.
i still love the movies tho (like most people).
orlistalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2003 08:27
Boromir runs his hand along the Shards of Narsil and says"Its still sharp" well duh! nobody has used or touched it for how long?

people obsessing over the car! they probably edited it out on the DVD and VHS

Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2003 09:48
i think that fotr was pretty good (after seeing it 4 times) but i hated the scenes when
- galadriel went all kookie for the ring (that just freakd me out)
- when merry, pippin, sam, and frodo jumped on the barge and i was going pretty slow, i mean if ther was this really evil thing following u, wudn't u try o get away from it as fast as u cud
- when frodo went all kookie too

but i luv fotr anyways!
<< First1011121314
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email