Register

<< First1011121314
Author Topic:
Elenloth
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Things that bug me... Mistakes of FotR
on: August 14, 2003 01:03
Hi. Elenloth here. that bit in the film where Galadriel goes wonky really annoys me too. It was done really badly. it had to be put in but she's supposed to be terrible and beautiful at the same time, not all green with wierd eyes. Sorry Peter, but that bit just spoiled the movie for me. Also the car annoys me, but i didn't see it until someone pointed it out to me.
Lady~of~the~Shield~Arm
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2003 02:09
I still haven't seen the car, although I watched FotR 19 times... So I think It's not on my DVD...
I also don't like Galadriel in that part of the movie, Vilmathrien and Elenloth.. She's really ugly then..
And I still don't understand why Frodo & co. are doing so imprudent at the Prancing Pony! Grrrr :angry: Stupid Hobbits!!
Ayla_Moon
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2003 07:22
OK I've read about 7 pages of this post and didn't see this mentioned....so here goes....
What bothered me was when Aragorn and Lurtz are fighting and Aragorn drops his sword twice in a row... it kinda irked me.....I've been noticing it more and more...aaakkk...still haven't seen the car thing. I'll have to go home and watch for it again. TTFN
Mirfaen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2003 10:59
I have never seen the car ... although I'm beginning to wish it were mine... somebody out there has a very famous car and an inadvertant role in Lotr...
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2003 05:10
They have edited out the scene with the car.
MichaelJD88
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2003 11:11
I just wanted to say, that even though Gandalf performing the "cheap trick" by making the room go dark, it was in the book, so you cant hate it that much, and the same goes for Galadriel going all nuts, that was also in the book.
Lady~of~the~Shield~Arm
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2003 06:05
What bugged me, was Frodo;
Everytime when he has the ring on the chain hanging out of his clothes.. I keep saying constantly "keep it safe and secret Frodo! Hide it!!" Grrr.. Everytime I watch it I want to put it back under his clothes.. :angry:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: September 13, 2003 09:00
Well, I just read through all the previous posts (up till MichaelJD88's on August 30th) and because I had to list all the mentioned mistakes and changes anyway for something I'm working on, I thought it'd be fun to make a hit parade of 'most mentioned bugs'.

This is the top 30

1. Galadriel going bonkers [Galads Glowing Green] (24)
2. Arwen taking Glorfindel's place (23)
3. Celeborn (17)
4. no gift giving sequence in the theatrical release (no belt for Boromir (1) and no dirt for Sam (2)) (16)
5. Legolas – Gimli (13)
6. the magical appearance of Bill the Pony and his Hiding Capacities (13)
7. shorter version (only 4 missed Gildor, 3 Farmer Maggot, 3 Barrows) (12)
8. background car in the cornfield (12)
9. digital stand-ins used in the Moria sequence (12)
10. the little people showing (11)
11. Tom Bombadil (10)
12. Rivendell balconies are Hobbit sized (10)
13. Gandalf breakdancing (
14. Arwen, just Arwen {also: her scar (1), clothes (3), voice (3), glow (2), calling the flood (4), being surprised at the Ford (1) and crying (2)} (
15. Lothlórien (
16. Haldir, Queen Of the Forest (7)
17. Aragorn's accent (7)
18. Frodo's being portrayed as weak (7)
19. mispronounciations (7)
20. Gandalf's staff (6)
21. changes in Legolas (varying from too serious to too little) (6)
22. Frodo's Chicken Dance (5)
23. 'I am a conjurer of cheap tricks' (5)
24. Arwen kept Asfaloth (5)
25. Gimli crying at Balin's tomb (5)
26. the Balrog, and more specifaclly, its wings (5)
27. Lurtz's chopped off arm doesn't bleed (5)
28. the undead Uruk (5)
29. inconcistency of heights (5)
30. a cheap Saruman storm in stead of Caradhras (4)

Also worth mentioning are the follwing 'bugs':

- Sauron has a fat belly (2)
- Gandalf saying: 'And in the darkness BITE them' (Elerrina)
- two people complained about the Burping PJ Cameo
- Galarwen had wanted to see Frodo sing The Cow Jumped Over the Moon
- shi-chan was bothered by the brown drooling Nazgul steed during the ride to the Ford
- three people minded Aragorn not putting the Shards of Narsil back neatly
- one person wanted Celeborn to speak more (?! MORE?!)
- Rivka (and two other with her) found that the Lórien pillows looked rather familiar
- one person complained about dirty cast members
- Trig had a problem with Merry's Look Of Death at Frodo, before he helps him
- Untidy mentioned that Frodo's German voice was a bit like a squirrel (not the exact words )
- waldakingofrohan found there was too much reference to Bakshi (I didn't see any legs, personally)
- k and Trig were slightly annoyed by the Frodo Frightened Deer Look
- Simbrie_Nytesky found that Legolas' running resembled a cheerleader
- Vanayavie signalled that the Swedish translation of 'Give up the halfling, she-elf' was incorrect – it said 'she-fairy'
- highlandergirl had a problem with Sam's 'Youtalkintome?' expression
- and I have to admit I agree: on person complained about people who obsess over the car
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: September 13, 2003 09:03
and this is to help some misunderstandings out of the world:

Gollum following them, Gandalf told Frodo when they were in Moria that Gollum had been following them for 3 days. Later you hear Aragorn tell Boromir that Gollum has been following them since Moria. hmm, not the signs of a good ranger to me. ~ waenlotien

This is not necessarily incorrect: Tolkien says that Gollum begins to trail the Fellowship on the 13th of January, the exact moment when the Fellowship enters Moria. The journey takes up three days – at nightfall of the 15th they reach the Nimrodel, the river that runs through Moria.
PJ may have simply lengthened the journey through Moria a little; but Aragorn is right according to the books when he says that Gollum follows them since Moria.

If we refer back to the text(oh God!) we can see that Arwen got about 10 lines total, and these were her singing and a description of her fine body. ~ Celebnaur

In fact, in FOTR, Arwen gets two moments for herself: 29 lines when Frodo first sees her at the feast, and another 7 about her singing. Add to that the lay of Lúthien and Beren (which implicitly refers to Aragorn's relationship with the Evenstar, and takes up 5 pages), the parts in Return of the King where she plays a part (which are: her banner which is mentioned several times, her gift to Frodo and her marriage to Aragorn – a total of about 3 pages) and of course the Appendix [App. A (v)] with the Tale of Arwen and Aragorn (another 10 pages) you get to a total of 19 pages in a book of approximately 1500 pages (counting the Appendixes).
Glorfindel has a full of 8 pages in the Flight To the Ford chapter, is mentioned twice in the Many Meetings chapter and he speaks at the council only three times (a total of 19 lines) – when you think royally, that would bring him up to about 11 pages. That's not even half of Arwen's.

I can understand that you don't like Arwen, or that you prefer Glorfindel, but when you refer back to the text, please do it correctly and don't bend it to your will? I doubt the professor would have appreciated that any more than he would have the changes in the movie.

Then there is the whole Amon Sul thing. How stupid do the hobbits have to be. Start a fire on a hill surrounded by enemies. I know that a stomach is the ruling power of a hobbit but bad call there hobbits. ~ Celebrimor

let me quote:

'There is still hope,' [Strider] said. 'You are not alone. Let us take this wood that is set ready for the fire as a sign. There is little shelter or defence here, but fire shall serve for both. Sauron can put fire to his evil uses, as he can all things, but these Riders do not love it, and fear those who wield it. Fire is our friend in the wilderness.
~ Book 1 Chapter XI: A Knife in the Dark

This is from the extended version: The part where Galadriel says, "I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired this..." just before she has her 'green stage'. Notice that she lifts her right hand to reach out for the ring. Later, when Galadriel says "This is Nenya..."; she lifts her right hand again to reveal the elven ring of power ---- WHY WASN'T IT THERE BEFORE??? It bugs me that it wasn't there, and then suddenly, boom, there it is... ~ Cate

The Rings are hidden, perhaps they themselves posses the power to hide themselves. Galadriel says to Frodo, in the books: 'I cannot be hidden from the Ring-bearer, and one who has seen the Eye.' Perhaps this is something like Frodo seeing Glorfindel in his true glory when he's passing tot he wraith world (again, in the book). I always got the impression that Ring suddenly appeared out of nowhere, only for Frodo to see.

The trolls ~ Ereinion

I don't know if you mean that you don't like how they look, or you simply haven't seen them. They *are* in the movie, you can see them here
Nienna-of-the-Valar
Loremaster of the Edain
Send Message
on: September 13, 2003 11:10
OMG figwit!!! These are really funny listed this way and makes us all seem like a bunch of crabby old women!

I did want to add something to your list of misunderstandings:

Celeborn:

I have seen, let's see, 17 (I could have sworn it was more)people complain about Celeborn and the way that he talks. I have even seen Haldir thrown in there for the seemingly odd way that he says "Caras Galadhon, home of the Lord Celeborn and Galadriel, Lady of Light".

Neither of them bother me. I attribute the way that they speak to the fact that the Elves of Lorien infrequently have strange visitors. Most of them do not speak the Common Speech at all. Those who do, speak it extremely rarely. When you do not speak a language all of the time, if forced to, it can come out very slow and your pronunciations become very methodical instead of fluent. Top that with the fact that the books say that both Galadriel and Celeborn speak slowly and I think that we have accurate portrayals of the way that the Elves of Lorien would speak the Common Tongue.

Sister_of_Legolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2003 08:46
I guess its not a mistake its just...
HOW COULD THEY MISS OUT TOM BOMBADIL???????????????
I was so looking forward to seeing a man, at least 70,000 years old, dressed in blue and yellow and dancing and singing to trees! How cool is that?
flyelven
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2003 05:32
yah it is too bad...and i wanted to see the barrowwights (cant spell!)
Tinúmelë
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2003 09:04
Well...I'm guessing all my comments have been mentioned SOMEWHERE in this thread. Oh well...here is what I didn't like:
-Yup. Frodo's Chicken Dance. Admittedly, it does crack me up every time I see it but still...
-The fact that Gandalf should have been gone SEVENTEEN years, not like a day.
-The Prancing Pony Inn. In the book it was meant to be bright and friendly, the film showed it as a dark, dreary place with a distinct evil feel to it. Is it possible nowone has mentioned this? Gasp!
-The amount of face time Liv Tyler gets. Did NOT like the Ford scene. Espescially didn't like the fact that ARWEN caused the flood, when in fact only ELROND had the power to do that because ELROND had the blue Ring. SHEESH!
-The fact that Gimli only gets about 2 lines in the entire film. Actually the only line I remember is "No-one tosses a Dwarf!"
-Where the Fellowship spent about 10 minutes screen time trying to cross a Bridge that didn't even turn out to be the Bridge of Kazad-dum.
-The fact that PJ was unable to employ a Celeborn who could act.
-Lurtz. Just don't go there.

That's about all I can think of for the moment. But still, the movie was great.
Sister_of_Legolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2003 07:20
um. i expect u all no this but wats Frodos chicken dance?
Nienna-of-the-Valar
Loremaster of the Edain
Send Message
on: September 30, 2003 10:25
um. i expect u all no this but wats Frodos chicken dance?

Frodo's chicken dance is that silly, thumbs in his chest?, dance that he does at his and Bilbo's birthday party

I personally find the Gandalf dance even more humorous that the Frodo dance..LOL
flyelven
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2003 02:04
omg frodo's dance had me rolling on the floor in fits of laughter..that was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quenyaman52
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2003 05:58
I think I'm going back a little far, but where is the car?????? I have the extended edition of the Fellowship and can't find it anywhere!! I even used the zoom button and paused my DVD and still can't find it. All I see is a dust cloud on the right of the screen...
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2003 01:54
For like the zillionth time - they have edited the car out!
Adufen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2003 12:59
jumping on the "galariel going wonky" bandwagon.
shes to wise too turn greenis-gray

Faramir mangling!-no fair!he was the stronger borhter,and theyturned him into a tempted character.

changing the huorns to elves-just made me mad.*shakes head*

haldir dying-silly!he wasnt even there in the book.

leaving out tom bombadil and the barrow downs-I was dissapointed,I hnad been looking foward to the scare facter of the barrows.
:cry::cry:
(those are from both movies,I just included them in one post)

[Edited on 11/10/2003 by Adufen]
Lady_Goldberry
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2003 02:45
Adufen, there wiill be huorns in the EE of TTT (see the gallery)
Arweniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2003 04:18
Okay, did anybody noice the mistake w/Boromir and that orc dude? The orc dude shot one arrow at Boromir and it looked like 2.
Incedofilius
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2003 08:56
All the small errors don't really bother me - after watching any movie... how many times... of course there are mistakes.

Having said that I think that Glorfindel should be included in the flight to Rivendell. Also, the dash from Bucklebury ferry to Bree was EXTEREMELY rushed. Maybe the movie didn't need Bombadill, but something else had to happen in that time.
Peregrin_Fook
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2003 05:52
What's really bothering me? Balrog. All in all, the animated "demon" look was not only looking fake, but out of date and style; I think they could have come up with something better, than the computer for that scene. I agree with most of the oher stuff said here (although I never notised the car) but still love the movie.

oh my god your weird! The balrog looked NOWHERE NEAR fake! The Balrog looked amazing. the effect they had with the fire was to die for.

the only thing i can remember that bothers me is the gandalf breakdancing fight with saruman. It did look really silly with these two old men twirling around on the floor!
Peregrin_Fook
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2003 05:57
Hey hey
Yeah i totally agree with you! I would like to add two more things that bug the crap out of me.
1, Frodo's dance at Bilbo's party...what was that?!?!
2 Hugo as Elrond....or Agent Smith in Rivendale I should say. He had the exact same speech patter as he did in the matrix...esp in the Council scene....arggg that bugs me.
But i have seen the movie 6 times and i love it dispite its very very minor faults.

Yeah i agree with you completly over the casting decision concerning Hugo Weaving. Good actor and all but hes no Elrond! Hes not fair and beautiful to look upon as an elf should be, hes just an agent! He does however have that commanding aura about him. Remember two towers when the Elfs are leaving Rivendell, Elrond is looking out at Arwen and the look on his face is so funny! its like - He looks so pissed off, like at any minute hes going to spit on Arwen!
leggal
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2003 12:20
Things that bug me~

1.Pippin was the trouble maker throughout the whole film!Merry and Sam a little,but Merry most often.Pippin with 'da bacon (including Sam and Merry)

2. For the people who haven't read the books were like,"If it wasn't for Pippin,Gandalf wouldn't be dead!" Pippin knocked down the dang skeleton in Moria!Oh that bugs me every time.

3.Shanks?What the heck?

4.Gandalf..trick...thing..yeah,you know what I am implying.

5.Boromir+sword=l-a-z-y!He needs to pick the sword up!He turned around to look,even.

6. When good elves.....go bad!Galadriel looked like ursela!A green version!Gah!Makes me sick.

7.I think it is in the Ex. dvd,but when Boromir is talking to Aragorn and Gandalf when there was about to be an avalanche,about where they are to go,when it shows Boromir(or maybe it was aragorn) holding the hobbits,and if ya look close enough,it is a clear shot that it isnt Dom or Billy!It is an extra!I was like "Holy crap,batman!That's not them!"

Still havent seen the car.Must......see.........car!

[Edited on 25/10/2003 by leggal]
Gellan
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2003 03:24
I found out that shadowfax in the movie the two towers is a mare and the real shadowfax should be a male.
JackSparrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2003 11:11
There are a few things that really bug me in FotR.
1. Boromir's speedy hand during his death scene. When the shot is from behind Aragorn, Boromirs hand is on Aragorn's shoulder. When the shots are from behind Boromir, his hand is on his sword across his chest!!!!!!!!!!!
2. When Aragorn is leading the hobbits to weathertop, he walks into the camera and it wobbles!
3. When Merry and Pippin set off the firework, the tent is full but when it flies up into the air it is completly empty!
4. Aragorn's accent.
5. When Frodo's accent slips when he says " You've only just arrived!"
GirlJockey17
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2003 01:20
The only thing that really bugs me in the FotR is the part where Sam gets out of the water, and he's soaked, right? Then a couple of seconds later, he's not so soaked, and THEN a couple more seconds later, he's COMEPLETELY soaked.

I know its nit picky, but it really bugs me.

I aslo don't like when Aragorn cuts the orc's head off in Balin's tomb and the black blood go's gushing out of its neck, to like, four feet up in the air. Its like, ew.

Alana
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2003 09:53
The thing that bugs me the most is definitely the Galadriel turning evil scene. I mean, it is just so unrealistic!! It's like they just said, "Oh right, well, we'll just shine a green light on her and she'll look all evil." I mean come on! I adore the movie but i just can't stand that part because the effects were so good almost everywhere else and then that was awful!

I also don't like the part when the Orcs are after Frodo and Co. and ragorn says to Frodo, "I would have gone with you to the end" etc. But when he closes Frodos hand its a completely different hand because they used the little guys hand. It looks really bad and annoys me evry time I see it.

I love the movie but they were just a couple of things I had to get off my chest.
celeborns_ring
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2003 05:25
One of the things that bug me is when Aragorn is about to start attacking the Uruks in FotR you can clearly hear a sheep baaa...I mean is that one of the orcs or is there just a farm nearby?
Elvinman
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 03:37
Im not sure if you covered this but what the heck, here it is:
WHERE IS TOM BOMBADIL?! Hes the coolest!

Also, I think its stupid that Arwen made the flood, when in the book, it was the work of Elrond (And Gandalf of course )
Elvinman
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 03:38
Thats all I can think of at the moment though that you haven't covered...
Caradhriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2004 12:30
Wow, I know this is an old topic, but there was something that had been bugging me for awhile, and I just now looked in to it. After watching RotK, at the scene where Denethor was holding Boromir's horn, something twitched in my brain that I didn't remember ever seeing it being broken. So, I came home and popped in the EE version, just to make sure I had all the footage, and sure enough, you never see it being broken. And that was one of the first htings that happens to Boromir in that battle in the book.

You can clearly see the horn bouncing around through the fight, and it isn't until he takes the hit from the third arrow that in the next scene it's split. This bugs me, as it's a rather large point, in my opinion. It's mentioned in both the other movies, yet we're supposed to believe that it just splits of it's own accord? The third arrow hits Boromir in the chest, square in the chest, and the horn is at his waist, so there's no way the arrow did it. That bit just really irks me...
Nurwen_Calafalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2004 06:24
I hated the part with the "What's this? A ranger caught off his guard?" I mean, goodness! That was just soooooo...:angry: wrong! First...Aragorn would never ever be "caught off his guard" like that, and...:angry: AAAARGGGHHHHH!!!!!!! I'm not saying anymore, in the fear of saying something inappropriate...
Legadriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2004 02:34
I really hate that Glorfindell is not in it, he's the one who is suposed to let Frodo take Asfolath to get away from the nazgul. In the book he was one of my faves.
<< First1011121314
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email