Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Nienna-of-the-Valar
Loremaster of the Edain
Send Message
Post RE: I don't like Arwen/Liv. Someone else?
on: January 01, 2005 12:47
Please can everyone just agree to disagree, or if something really bothers you that someone else has said, turn a blind eye. This is one of those 'touchy' threads, containing people's opinions about why they did not like Arwen and/or Liv's portrayal of her. If we cannot all be civil, the thread will be closed.

Thank you!
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 01, 2005 12:55
However, what really peeves me is that almost every single second Arwen's face is on the screen, she is crying. To me, she seems like a weaker character because of that.
Do you ever cry when you get angry, but do not want to scream? Or get overwhelmed by emotions, not knowing how to deal with on that specific time? I do. Does that make you weak? It certainly does not for me. It is a way to show your/my feelings.

Éowyn rebels, it is a reaction to the circumstances and her own confusion. Arwen is older, wiser and although she may not know what happens at the end of her personal journey (fading, dying, would she go to the Halls of Mandos where the other Elves go when they die or will she go the the presumed halls where Men go), she takes her decision with courage and "eternal" love (for Aragorn), but also with pain and the feeling of everlasting loss (of her family and her own people).

Those opposite feelings might be very confusing, and it does not matter if a woman is 20 or 2000 years old. The only difference is how to react to those feelings and explain them to themselves (or deny those feelings and play-pretend they do not exist), but it has nothing to do with strength.
Celebrianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2005 05:07
Please can everyone just agree to disagree, or if something really bothers you that someone else has said, turn a blind eye. This is one of those 'touchy' threads, containing people's opinions about why they did not like Arwen and/or Liv's portrayal of her. If we cannot all be civil, the thread will be closed.

Thank you!

You are absolutely right Nienna. I suppose that was very rude of me...and I apologize.

[Edited on 2/1/2005 by Celebrianna]
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2005 08:12
I apologize, too. *slaps self*
Shieldmaiden34
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2005 06:00
I agree 100 percent with Celebrianna.
Arwen is great, and certainly not weak! :nono:
Elrohir_TarAmandil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2005 08:39
Never had a problem with Liv as Arwen. She is beautiful and is a great actor. As far as looking like an elf....hmm....haven't seen any around here lately.
evilteddybear408
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2005 01:40
Right. I could be classified as an "Eowyn fangirl" and an "Arwen slayer." I dislike both book and movie Arwens.

Why I hate Book!Arwen.

When Aragorn first meets Arwen, he sees her walking in the woods, looking like a spitting image of her fore-mother, Luthien Tinuviel, the fairest child of Eru. He calls to her "Tinuviel, Tinuviel!" She answers him gravely, coldly. Then he says he's to be the King of Gondor someday. Suddenly, she warms to him. They part for 30+ years.

Later, they meet in Lorien. Aragorn goes to her, looking very kingly. They get engaged. But there's a catch! Arwen doesn't want some smelly Ranger. She wanted a KING. So, she makes Aragorn wait for her. Not five or ten years, mind you. But SIXTY! She makes him wait sixty years before she'll marry him. Many say that, "she was obeying her father." No. It was HER OWN CHOICE! If she REALLY loved him, she would rebel and elope with him. Luthien had an a stricter father than Elrond. He LOCKED her in a tower so she wouldn't see Beren (her mortal lover.) Did that stop Luthien? NO. She escaped an faced down Sauron himself to be with Beren.

Did Arwen do that? Nope. When Aragorn was off on a life- threatening quest, Arwen stayed in Rivendell, comfy and cozy. What does she do for her "twoo wuv"? She sews a banner. Big deal. Then, after EVERYONE including Eowyn has fought, she gets her pampered butt down to Minas Tirith and they get married.

Few years later, Aragorn is dying. And Arwen tastes the bitterness of mortality. She begs and pleads with him to stay with her BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T WANT TO DIE ALONE! Nowhere in Aragorn's death scene is she asking him to stay because she loves him. Then she insults her people. "As wicked fools I scorned them, but now I pity them at last-" Arwen in regards to the people she ruled over for eighty years. Long ago, the Númenoreans sailed to Valinor to become immortal. The people of Gondor are descendents of them. So, Aragorn kicks the bucket and Arwen leaves Gondor. Along with her people, she leaves behind her children. Her son's about to be king of Gondor, and she leaves him. I really wish Arwen were my Mum!

So, Arwen goes to Lothlorien and dies.

Now, I feel the need to talk about her choice. She's already lived for 3,000+ years. She's seen more of life than we mortals can fathom. She saw how her father suffered being mortal. Elrond and his brother Elros were given a choice by the Valar: to live as a mortal or immortal. Elros chose mortality. Elrond's children also had this choice. Only Half-Elves were given this decision. Tolkien stresses that Elves, even the VALAR envy the "gift of mortality." So, Arwen had this gift and she used it to her advantage. Big deal. She sacrificed living forever. Who REALLY wants that? I don't, that's for sure.

I'm not going to get into why I hate Movie!Arwen. However, I DO feel the need to defend by favorite character. Eowyn.

Eowyn had one of the toughest lives in the War of the Ring. Her parents died when she was seven, her uncle was in a vegetable state, her brother was banished, she was stalked by Grima, her cousin was dead and her country had gone to Hell. Yes, Arwen saw her people fading away. They weren't dying. They were going to Valinor. Eowyn saw her people being slaughtered in front of her and she couldn't do anything about it. The thing she feared was a cage, and it was closing in all around her. She was helpless. So, when Aragorn comes, he gives her hope. Then he goes off to a certain death. Really, I can't blame her for going to battle to die.

But I think the way she wanted to die was noble. She could have thrown herself off the balcony of Edoras. But she wanted to die defending her people and doing something. Yes, she was suicidal. But she knew that she was doomed. And, as someone stated before me, death was better than enslavement.

So, that's just my little rant. But before I go, I just want to say that even though I don't like Arwen, I don't mean any harm in posting this! I really don't, because you posted your opinions very well.
fbc
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2005 12:15
I think it's a pity that a lot of people can't appreciate a character that Tolkien only meant to be nothing but good. After all, I don't think he wanted Aragorn, one of his main characters on the side of good, to have spent his life with a shrew. After all, as quoted in appendix A: "As Queen of Elves and Menshe dwelt with Aragorn for six-score years in great glory and bliss..." I ask you: How can Aragorn live with her in blissif she was as bad as you book and movie Arwen-haters say. Here's a rebuttal for all those book and movie Arwen-haters.:

It used to be that I didn't really like Arwen that much, I didn't have any feelings about her either way. However, that was before the vehement and, at times, utterly non-sensical Arwen-bashing started. Because of all that nonsense, I've actually ended up liking her.

I can understand not liking a character, people have different tastes, that's fine because life would be boring if everyone liked the same things. I can understand being ambivalent about a character, especially Arwen, because that's how I felt about her before the films came out. However, I cannot for the life of me fathom why people get so irate and hateful towards a fictional character. I don't like character bashing, it's irrational, it's nasty and at times, just downright ignorant. Some of the reasons that I've heard for why Arwen sucks make my brain break, they really do. Observe:

1. "You can only be an Arwen fan if you haven't read/didn't understand the books."

That's so insulting and inaccurate, it hardly merits a response. Maybe Arwen fans are less simiplistic; they understand that film and book are completely different media and thus have to be treated in different ways. Ever think of it that way? No of course not.

2. "Liv Tyler isn't even pretty."

Oh yeah. I mean, if I looked like Liv Tyler I don't know how I'd live with myself. She's HIDEOUS.[/sarcasm]

3. "Arwen takes screen time away from Frodo, Aragorn, Eowyn, Elrond, Gandalf, Bill the Pony, Gandalf's hat..."

Arwen has about, what, an average of 10 minutes per film? Probably less. Considering each film is about 3+ hours long, that's not a massive amount of screen time. Get over it. If you want to talk about a love plot being over-played, look to Eowyn. IMHO, they over-did Eowyn's obsession with Aragorn far too much, to the point that it seriously damaged the plausibility of her love for Faramir. The padding-out of Arwen's part was mild in comparison.

And how can Arwen POSSIBLY take away screen-time from Elrond? In the books you see him in Rivendell and then again right at the end. If anything, the boosting of Arwen's role gave Elrond MORE screen time. And, being the hopeless Elrond/Hugo Weaving fangirl I am, I was all for that.

4. "She cried all the time. She's weak. She's girly."

Sooo...the only way a woman can be strong is to act just like men? Sexist much? Also, Eowyn spends a lot of her screen time crying, making big cow-eyes at Aragorn, hanging on his every word, disobeying Theoden's orders etc. Those are not exactly the actions of an emotionally strong woman. Arwen on the other hand, sticks to her guns, remains dignified, retains a good relationship with her father despite the conflict. Arwen ain't weak, she's anything but weak.

5. "The padding out of Arwen's role is disrespectful to Tolkien's vision, they should have stuck to the books instead of making up stuff for Arwen to do, it's wrong to have her fighting, it's wrong to have her steal Glorfindel's role. Tolkien wouldn't have wanted it."

This argument is a little more sophisticated, so we must tread this morass carefully.

First of all, books are not like movies. You can introduce background information in a book much more easily than you can on film. Film is a visual medium, you can't mention important character points in passing, you have to SHOW them, otherwise there's a risk that the audience won't pick up on them in a single viewing. Tolkien could afford to put informaton in appendices, to passively fill out the back story of Arwen and Aragorn; PJ couldn't do that. You can't have a character go through a nine-hour movie and then right at the end introduce this random chick and have him say, "oh, btw, this is the love of my life who's giving up immortality to marry me. Cool huh?" It wouldn't have worked, the audience would have felt cheated. Bear in mind that these films weren't just made for book fans, they were made for people who knew nothing whatsoever about Tolkien.

The Glorfindel thing, yeah, I like Glorfindel. It's a shame he didn't make it into the film. But, again, character amalgamation is a neat trick for getting across as much information in the shortest time possible. It isn't the first time this technique has been used in adaptations, it won't be the last. Let's face it, Glorfy comes into it to give Frodo his horse and he doesn't come into the story again. For a film, it makes better narrative sense to cut the chaff and give his role to a character who will re-appear.

Thirdly, one of my favourite scenes in the Two Towers is the scene where Elrond warns Arwen what will happen if she stays. That scene was book canon through and through, it was straight out of the appendix. It was so beautifully, cleverly and artfully done, the canon nay-sayers should be jumping for joy that an obscure Tolkien passage was put centre-stange, instead of bitching about Arwen being on screen.

As for Arwen fighting, when do we ever actually see her fight? Never. Not once. We see her draw a sword, we never see her use it. It could have been bluff for all we know. Yes, a Helm's Deep section was filmed but the film makers saw the error of their ways and to her credit, it was Tyler who pushed for her to be feminised a little more. "You don't need to put a sword in her hands for her to be strong." Amen sister.

6. "Eowyn would have been better for Aragorn. I'm an Aragorn/Eowyn shipper, Arwen got in the way!"

*points to the above argument* *brain breaks* >.<

Now do you want canonical accuracy or not? Which is it going to be? CONSISTENCY, PEOPLE!

7. "Arwen said she scorned mortals. She was a BIG MEANIE to the people she was Queen over! What a bitch!"

*bangs head off desk* No, no, no, no, NO! She was talking about the Second-Age Numenoreans who declared war on the Valar because they desired immortality, she wasn't talking about the Fourth-Age Gondorians. *sigh* It pays to do research before you shoot your mouth off.

Those are the arguments/outbursts/ignorant rubbish that annoy me the most. If it wasn't for these outbursts from the anti-arwen crowd, I probably never would have got thinking about this stuff and would never have gained a new appreciation for Arwen.

Congratulations Arwen-bashers. You've turned me into an Arwen fan. Be proud.

Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: February 11, 2005 08:28
First of all, LOL FBC! That was.... ace...

Anyway, in response to your post, evilteddybear408.
I can't help but react (nothing personal, I just... can't... control... myself...)
Note: This next bit is about Book Arwen

Why I hate Book!Arwen.

Yeah, I always wonder about that. You know what I *hate*? War, violence and injustice. You hate a completely fictional character.

Then he says he's to be the King of Gondor someday. Suddenly, she warms to him. (...)
Later, they meet in Lorien. Aragorn goes to her, looking very kingly. They get engaged. But there's a catch! Arwen doesn't want some smelly Ranger. She wanted a KING. (...)
Many say that, "she was obeying her father." No. It was HER OWN CHOICE! If she REALLY loved him, she would rebel and elope with him.

Really? Aragorn wanted to be king, in the books. He lived for this sole purpose. Everything he did, everything he was, everyone he knew served this one goal: become King of Arnor ánd Gondor.
Arwen merely pushes him in this cause, as does Elrond. Why? Because (and this is the mythological component) Aragorn and Arwen re-unite the line of Elrond & Elros; Eärendil & Elwing; Lúthien of Doriath & Beren; Elu Thinfol & Melian the Maia. This line is a line of kings. In restoring it, the possibility of the dominion of Men is established.

When Aragorn was off on a life- threatening quest, Arwen stayed in Rivendell, comfy and cozy.

Arwen did travel back and forth between Lórien and Rivendell a couple of times. This journey wasn't safe either. She's not a tender little maid in the book either, Tolkien just doesn't tell us enough about her to really be able to judge her actions in the war.

What does she do for her "twoo wuv"? She sews a banner. Big deal.

It's the banner of the King. Very big deal. This is a very old, mediaeval theme. When Aragorn unfolds the standard, he declares himself as king of Gondor.

Few years later, Aragorn is dying. And Arwen tastes the bitterness of mortality. She begs and pleads with him to stay with her BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T WANT TO DIE ALONE!

Would you? Why do you think Éowyn refuses to hold the fort?

Now, I feel the need to talk about her choice. She's already lived for 3,000+ years. She's seen more of life than we mortals can fathom. She saw how her father suffered being mortal. Elrond and his brother Elros were given a choice by the Valar: to live as a mortal or immortal. Elros chose mortality. Elrond's children also had this choice. Only Half-Elves were given this decision. Tolkien stresses that Elves, even the VALAR envy the "gift of mortality." So, Arwen had this gift and she used it to her advantage. Big deal. She sacrificed living forever. Who REALLY wants that? I don't, that's for sure.

Neither does Tolkien. I will not claim Arwen did the big and selfless thing in choosing death over immortality. It's exactly what I would have done.

I'm not going to get into why I hate Movie!Arwen.

Well, this ís the Movies Forum...

But I think the way she wanted to die was noble. She could have thrown herself off the balcony of Edoras. But she wanted to die defending her people and doing something. Yes, she was suicidal. But she knew that she was doomed. And, as someone stated before me, death was better than enslavement.

She wasn't being noble. She sought not death, but renown. That's why Aragorn says those words to her: There will be a time with valour without renown is necessary. That is what she realises when she stands next to Faramir in Minas Tirith. Faramir, who isn't fighting at the Black Gate either, but is still no less valourous.

[Edited on 12/2/2005 by Figwit]
fbc
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2005 09:02
Thanks, Figwit! It's nice to know that there are other Arwen-supporters out there.
Warriormaid3000
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2005 01:55
Note: My comments are in italics.

I think it's a pity that a lot of people can't appreciate a character that Tolkien only meant to be nothing but good. After all, I don't think he wanted Aragorn, one of his main characters on the side of good, to have spent his life with a shrew. After all, as quoted in appendix A: "As Queen of Elves and Menshe dwelt with Aragorn for six-score years in great glory and bliss..." I ask you: How can Aragorn live with her in blissif she was as bad as you book and movie Arwen-haters say. Here's a rebuttal for all those book and movie Arwen-haters.:

It used to be that I didn't really like Arwen that much, I didn't have any feelings about her either way. However, that was before the vehement and, at times, utterly non-sensical Arwen-bashing started. Because of all that nonsense, I've actually ended up liking her.

I can understand not liking a character, people have different tastes, that's fine because life would be boring if everyone liked the same things. I can understand being ambivalent about a character, especially Arwen, because that's how I felt about her before the films came out. However, I cannot for the life of me fathom why people get so irate and hateful towards a fictional character. I don't like character bashing, it's irrational, it's nasty and at times, just downright ignorant. Some of the reasons that I've heard for why Arwen sucks make my brain break, they really do. Observe:

1. "You can only be an Arwen fan if you haven't read/didn't understand the books."

That's so insulting and inaccurate, it hardly merits a response. Maybe Arwen fans are less simiplistic; they understand that film and book are completely different media and thus have to be treated in different ways. Ever think of it that way? No of course not.

Ok, that *is* pretty generalized and insulting. I know many Arwen fans who are well-versed in the works of Tolkien. However, there are also so many Arwen fans out there who don't do much to improve your image. For example, I saw a few fans who insisted that Aragorn and Eowyn were siblings.You do have a good reason to be annoyed at that reason though. For the record, I have no problem with most Arwen fans

Oh yeah. I mean, if I looked like Liv Tyler I don't know how I'd live with myself. She's HIDEOUS.[/sarcasm]

That's pure opinoin, and people have different opinions about what's beautiful and what's not. For me though,I thought she seemed too fake when she was trying to act etheral and her voice bugged me. But that's just my opinon and that's not even really a reason I dislike Arwen.

3. "Arwen takes screen time away from Frodo, Aragorn, Eowyn, Elrond, Gandalf, Bill the Pony, Gandalf's hat..."

Arwen has about, what, an average of 10 minutes per film? Probably less. Considering each film is about 3+ hours long, that's not a massive amount of screen time. Get over it. If you want to talk about a love plot being over-played, look to Eowyn. IMHO, they over-did Eowyn's obsession with Aragorn far too much, to the point that it seriously damaged the plausibility of her love for Faramir. The padding-out of Arwen's part was mild in comparison.

How many times did she appear in the book? How many times did she appear in the movie? I don't mind her having an extended plot, but I didn't like how they choose to extend it. For example, the storyline of Arwen's fate being bound to the ring was unnecessary. If the ring wasn't destroyed, Sauron would eventually get it. If Sauron got the ring back, everyone would have a lot more to worry about than Arwen wasting away.

And how can Arwen POSSIBLY take away screen-time from Elrond? In the books you see him in Rivendell and then again right at the end. If anything, the boosting of Arwen's role gave Elrond MORE screen time. And, being the hopeless Elrond/Hugo Weaving fangirl I am, I was all for that.

Sooo...the only way a woman can be strong is to act just like men? Sexist much? Also, Eowyn spends a lot of her screen time crying, making big cow-eyes at Aragorn, hanging on his every word, disobeying Theoden's orders etc. Those are not exactly the actions of an emotionally strong woman. Arwen on the other hand, sticks to her guns, remains dignified, retains a good relationship with her father despite the conflict. Arwen ain't weak, she's anything but weak.

Um...what do you mean by "sticks to her guns"? Because if you mean she isn't swayed, you are wrong. If you'll notice, she confidently tells Aragorn that she will not change her mind and she chooses a mortal life. Elrond manages to convine her to leave Middle-Earth by reminding her what it means to "choose a mortal life", which she should have known. She loses her resolve and is pursuaded to leave Middle-Earth. She changes her way halfway there because of a vision and can't even be bothered to tell her escorts. (Escorts? I thought you said she was a brave girl and travelled dangerous paths between Rivendell and Lothlorien alone.)

5. "The padding out of Arwen's role is disrespectful to Tolkien's vision, they should have stuck to the books instead of making up stuff for Arwen to do, it's wrong to have her fighting, it's wrong to have her steal Glorfindel's role. Tolkien wouldn't have wanted it."

This argument is a little more sophisticated, so we must tread this morass carefully.

First of all, books are not like movies. You can introduce background information in a book much more easily than you can on film. Film is a visual medium, you can't mention important character points in passing, you have to SHOW them, otherwise there's a risk that the audience won't pick up on them in a single viewing. Tolkien could afford to put informaton in appendices, to passively fill out the back story of Arwen and Aragorn; PJ couldn't do that. You can't have a character go through a nine-hour movie and then right at the end introduce this random chick and have him say, "oh, btw, this is the love of my life who's giving up immortality to marry me. Cool huh?" It wouldn't have worked, the audience would have felt cheated. Bear in mind that these films weren't just made for book fans, they were made for people who knew nothing whatsoever about Tolkien.

The Glorfindel thing, yeah, I like Glorfindel. It's a shame he didn't make it into the film. But, again, character amalgamation is a neat trick for getting across as much information in the shortest time possible. It isn't the first time this technique has been used in adaptations, it won't be the last. Let's face it, Glorfy comes into it to give Frodo his horse and he doesn't come into the story again. For a film, it makes better narrative sense to cut the chaff and give his role to a character who will re-appear.

ok,but why did Arwen have to be given Frodo's glory of facing the wraiths? And if she did, why did she have to take Elrond and Gandalf's glory at summoning the river?

Thirdly, one of my favourite scenes in the Two Towers is the scene where Elrond warns Arwen what will happen if she stays. That scene was book canon through and through, it was straight out of the appendix. It was so beautifully, cleverly and artfully done, the canon nay-sayers should be jumping for joy that an obscure Tolkien passage was put centre-stange, instead of bitching about Arwen being on screen.

I have an idea. Why couldn't they use that scene to show how strong Arwen was? Elrond goes through with his speech, beautifully, artefully, and straight out of the book. We see all the same footage. At the end of it though, Arwen tells him that she has made her choice and she will wait for Aragorn. That scene is the biggest reason I hate MovieArwen. She went back on her word to Aragorn which shows a lack of thinking on her part.

As for Arwen fighting, when do we ever actually see her fight? Never. Not once. We see her draw a sword, we never see her use it. It could have been bluff for all we know. Yes, a Helm's Deep section was filmed but the film makers saw the error of their ways and to her credit, it was Tyler who pushed for her to be feminised a little more. "You don't need to put a sword in her hands for her to be strong." Amen sister.

Well when she drew the sword, it implies that she can fight. And actually, Helms Deep wasn't included because word of it leaked out and they found Tolkien communities dissing the idea of Arwen fighting and worried that it wouldn't be recieved well.Technically, they did put a sword in her hand and justified it saying seeing Arwen fight and take a more active role makes it seem more likely that Aragorn would like her. So much for that.

6. "Eowyn would have been better for Aragorn. I'm an Aragorn/Eowyn shipper, Arwen got in the way!"

Now do you want canonical accuracy or not? Which is it going to be? CONSISTENCY, PEOPLE!

I love the possiblity that could have been Aragorn and Eowyn as Tolkien first intended. I know thats not canon and I also love Eowyn and Faramir.

7. "Arwen said she scorned mortals. She was a BIG MEANIE to the people she was Queen over! What a bitch!"

*bangs head off desk* No, no, no, no, NO! She was talking about the Second-Age Numenoreans who declared war on the Valar because they desired immortality, she wasn't talking about the Fourth-Age Gondorians. *sigh* It pays to do research before you shoot your mouth off.

Those are the arguments/outbursts/ignorant rubbish that annoy me the most. If it wasn't for these outbursts from the anti-arwen crowd, I probably never would have got thinking about this stuff and would never have gained a new appreciation for Arwen.

Nienna-of-the-Valar
Loremaster of the Edain
Send Message
on: February 11, 2005 02:10
Ok, this thread is starting to get a bit confusing for all involved since arguments about the books are being tossed around in what _is_ the Movie Forum. So I would suggest keeping the topics strictly about the movies if at all possible. Otherwise make a specific note that is visible to all that you are speaking about something from the books.

And I think I need not remind anyone to play nicely please. 'Arwen' is always a topic that gets people heated, but let's all agree to disagree if we absolutely must Thanks.
Figwit
Send Message
on: February 12, 2005 01:10
Just a quick note.

Well when she drew the sword, it implies that she can fight. And actually, Helms Deep wasn't included because word of it leaked out and they found Tolkien communities dissing the idea of Arwen fighting and worried that it wouldn't be recieved well.Technically, they did put a sword in her hand and justified it saying seeing Arwen fight and take a more active role makes it seem more likely that Aragorn would like her. So much for that.

One of the major reasons why Arwen didn't fight at Helm's Deep is not the fans; but Liv Tyler. She thought Arwen was drifting too far from the book, and asked the writers to re-write Arwen so she would be closer to the Appendixes. Mind you: not the books, the Appendixes. Tyler was very closely involved in the way Arwen was developed, which means that the Arwen on screen is not Tolkien's Arwen; but Tyler's. I think, for someone who is obviously no Tolkien scholar, Tyler did an amazing job (especially if you look at the XenArwen plotlines).

As for the 'fighting' things, they were right, weren't they? If I look at the comments in the gallery, I have to delete 'Éowyn is so much better than Arwen because she's wimpy and Aragorn should be with Éowyn'-comments everyday. Which means that despite Tolkien's own reasoning, and despite Tylers strong performance, a lot of movie-goers still don't understand why a woman who doesn't fight could be preferred over one who does.
PJ, Walsh & Boyens understood all too well how modern day women (and especially young girls) have lost contact with their inner-Arwen. They see Éowyn pull a sword and call her 'heroic' and 'a feminist'. She's not, at all. Arwen cries, so she's whimpy. Éowyn cries too, but she's strong. Why? I think placing Arwen in a protective role in FOTR helps audiences see her as a worthy opponent for Éowyn. Although of course, there was never any competition .
Ingold
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2005 01:24
OK, Nienna's right: Let's focus more on the movie.

Quite frankly the whole Arwen vs. Éowyn is foolish. I'll address people who hate both women.

Éowyn-haters, like it or not, she had a large hand in saving the White City. Let's focus on the raw facts:

Fact: She slaughtered many Orcs, thereby preventing them from overwhelming and slaughtering more Gondorians.

Fact: She took down a mumakil heading for the city walls.

Fact: Like it or not (with Merry's assistance) she killed the Witch King of Angmar and saced her uncle from becoming a Fell Beast sandwich. That sounds so cliché now but the Fell Lord of the Nine Riders caused thousands of deaths and untold suffering to the people of Middle-earth. The Wraith destroyed the northern kingdom of Arnor for crying out loud! She and Merry took down the third-most loathsome individual in Middle-earth.

Fact: She needed to ride to war because in the grander scheme of things it was a part of her journey of self-discovery. She rode to die and theoretically she stared into the face of death itself (Remember the Witch King's words "Do you not know death when you see it?") and came out alive and found life again with Faramir. Her's is a wonderful story of self-discovery and the story of Éowyn requires us to see the forest through the trees.

Regardless of her motives, great deeds are not to be shorn of their stature in such an ignominious way.

Now, to the Arwen-haters, focus on the facts again:

Fact: She gave up her immortality for the man she loved. That is incredibly noble under any circumstances and by doing so gave Aragorn something to fight for and I don't think anyone who knows anything about Tolkien would say Aragorn didn't have a vital role in the story.

And please don't get me started on the Liv vs. Miranda debates! I think Miranda was the superior performer but Liv did her finest acting job in ROTK. Add to that Miranda's had a couple more years in the business than Liv. So one would hope that she would have gained experience in those years. Anyway, I wish both women all the best with their new families.

[Edited on 12/2/2005 by Ingold]
Celebrianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2005 11:11
FBC and Figwit, those were some excellent analyses.
Flametwister
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2005 05:11
Well, everyone's busy doing deep analisys of the books and character and all that, but I'll just step in and say what I can.

I'm not really a fan of Arwen in the movies. Pay attention to the wording: not really a fan. I don't 'hate' her. Neither do I like her.

I actually didn't mind her in FoTR. Yeah, she wasn't acting like my version of Arwen, and yeah, I would have liked to see Glofindle, and yeah, I'm a purist when it comes to that, but I didn't mind all that much. We needed to establish just who Arwen was and what her relationship to Aragorn was. Ditto for the kiss on the bridge – we needed to know what their relationship was like, and actually I thought it was kinda cute.

Then there was TTT. Suddenly Arwen was there, it seemed, all the time. She turned up in the darnedest places. (I shall not go into the dress she was wearing at this time). She seemed to wibble a bit too much. I thought that Aragorn and Arwen in the books were fine. She waited years and years for him and he for her. She gave up her people for him. I thought that this was rather sad and noble of her – but it wasn't pushed on us. In the flicks, it was shoved in our faces – not to mention that her character and choice were drastically altered. I was not happy, but I could live.

And then, there was RoTK. This is the point when I lose all concept of Arwen and Aragorn's relationship. Arwen has her vision in which she sees Elboron. As we know, she then decides to stay. Now, I was sitting there wondering this: Arwen's in love with Aragorn. We all know she's in love with Aragorn. But the reason she's going back is because she knows she's going to have a child. Why wouldn't she go back for Aragorn's sake? Why only for Elboron? I mean, she must love the man if she's going to bear his child, but seriously, the film sets it so that, in my eyes, the only reason she goes back is to have Elboron (and an unknown number of daughters, I might add).

I suppose Arwen must have her reasons. People are always attacking my dear Eowyn for her decision to go with Faramir and saying that it's shallow and I will argue against that (in another thread). I suppose that if Arwen's great wish in life was to have a child, then she got it and that's good, but... I don't know. It seems odd. I'm certain that PJ&Co didn't want to write it that way, but they ended up doing so.

I wouldn't have minded Arwen having a smaller part in the films at all, and I don't think it would have cheapened their romance. Take Sam and Rosie. Rosie appears all of... two times? Maybe three, I can't remember. But she's always on Sam's mind. She is a driving force behind him, and having her out of the films doesn't cheapen their romance at all, now does it?

Overall: Book Arwen=Yes. Movie Arwen=No thanks.
Figwit
Send Message
on: February 13, 2005 03:17
But the reason she's going back is because she knows she's going to have a child. Why wouldn't she go back for Aragorn's sake? Why only for Elboron? I mean, she must love the man if she's going to bear his child, but seriously, the film sets it so that, in my eyes, the only reason she goes back is to have Elboron (and an unknown number of daughters, I might add).

I guess Eldarion is only a metaphor for what Elrond kept from her: the future. He gives her this really gloomy vision of that future: it's all about death, about being abandoned, about loss - not about life at all. He doesn't tell her she'll live a long and full life, that she and Aragorn will be happy together, that they will be great rulers and that she will help rebuilt his world.
Eldarion is a symbol of life, of future generations, of what Arwen's decision could mean.

In turning back she doesn't only defy her father's wish, but also Aragorn's. It's one of the things I really dislike about the movies, and that's Aragorn's decision to dump Arwen. Why should Arwen stay, when Aragorn's given up on them already? She goes against all logic because of Eldarion, because she hopes that he can still be achieved.

I liked the idea of that vision making her reconsider, because it emphasises what Arwen's part in the story is about: the mythical re-union of the bloodline of Ëarendil, and also the feminine touch, the 'woman' as Tolkien saw her: first and foremost a mother; a bearer of new life.

I wouldn't have minded Arwen having a smaller part in the films at all, and I don't think it would have cheapened their romance. Take Sam and Rosie. Rosie appears all of... two times? Maybe three, I can't remember. But she's always on Sam's mind. She is a driving force behind him, and having her out of the films doesn't cheapen their romance at all, now does it?

I don't know. Most of my friends (who didn't read the books) went: 'Who's Rosie?' at the end of the movie (the ones that weren't sleeping, that is). I mean, she sort of pops out of the blue.
Besides, an epic undertaking like LOTR needed more women. To only have Éowyn, and a little Galadriel on the side, was simply not enough.
Warriormaid3000
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2005 01:22

Then there was TTT. Suddenly Arwen was there, it seemed, all the time. She turned up in the darnedest places. (I shall not go into the dress she was wearing at this time). She seemed to wibble a bit too much. I thought that Aragorn and Arwen in the books were fine. She waited years and years for him and he for her. She gave up her people for him. I thought that this was rather sad and noble of her – but it wasn't pushed on us. In the flicks, it was shoved in our faces – not to mention that her character and choice were drastically altered. I was not happy, but I could live.

And then, there was RoTK. This is the point when I lose all concept of Arwen and Aragorn's relationship. Arwen has her vision in which she sees Elboron. As we know, she then decides to stay. Now, I was sitting there wondering this: Arwen's in love with Aragorn. We all know she's in love with Aragorn. But the reason she's going back is because she knows she's going to have a child. Why wouldn't she go back for Aragorn's sake? Why only for Elboron? I mean, she must love the man if she's going to bear his child, but seriously, the film sets it so that, in my eyes, the only reason she goes back is to have Elboron (and an unknown number of daughters, I might add).

I suppose Arwen must have her reasons. People are always attacking my dear Eowyn for her decision to go with Faramir and saying that it's shallow and I will argue against that (in another thread). I suppose that if Arwen's great wish in life was to have a child, then she got it and that's good, but... I don't know. It seems odd. I'm certain that PJ&Co didn't want to write it that way, but they ended up doing so.

That was great, Flametwister! And on the point you made about PJ & Co. they *did* in fact want to write it that way. If you'll notice in the commentary, either Fran or Phillapa says in regard to Arwen's vision- "She has to go back. It's her one chance to be a mother"

So either they misspoke or they intended Arwen's motive to go back to be having kids. Well she can have kids in the Valinor if that's all she wants.
evilteddybear408
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2005 04:35
So either they misspoke or they intended Arwen's motive to go back to be having kids. Well she can have kids in the Valinor if that's all she wants.

That's not all they said. They said: There's nothing left for her. What would she come back for? Then we thought: a child! She'll come back for a child!

Erm... wouldn't she come back for Aragorn?
Warriormaid3000
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2005 08:27
Thanks evilteddybear408!

I haven't really listened to the commentary for a while, but that just goes to prove my point further.
Figwit
Send Message
on: February 15, 2005 08:09
Erm... wouldn't she come back for Aragorn?

Aragorn dumped her before he left Rivendel, remember?
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2005 08:13
I dislike the entire Arwen at the Fords set-up, truth be told, and not just because I love Glorfindel. I understand that P.J. and co. needed to increase Arwen's role in the films but I think they went about it in completely the wrong way. I was fine with the pictures of Arwen the book presented to me; a beautiful, gentle, graceful noble-woman. The sword wielding warrior princess I saw in the Fellowship of the Ring was, to me, a complete antonym of that. Not to mention how improbable it was; after the torment of her mother Celebrian at the hands of Orcs, I sincerely doubt that Elrond would want his daughter charging around fighting Nazgul.
I really disliked the fact that Arwen summoned the powers of the river. If Elrond and Gandalf, one of the most powerful Elf-lords of all time and a Maia (both of them Ringbearers to boot), had to work together to raise the Bruinen, I doubt that an ordinary elleth with no magic powers to speak of (besides the magic weaving she did for Aragorns banner) coud've done it.
Also, Arwen leaving in Return of the King. For me that ended any romantic allusions of her as a 'symbol of hope and devotion'. To me she seemed from then on to be a thoughtless child who had made a promise impulsively without any thought and then, when told what the consequences would be, got herself the hell out of there. 'Nothing left her in Middle Earth'? What about Aragorn, the supposed 'love of her life'? Not to mention how rude it was of her just to ride off without answering Figwit's questions. The polite thing to do would be just to say 'Sorry but I have to go back to Rivendell' and then ride off.
I also think,that by putting her at the Fords and therefore making her a 'warrior' , they cliched Eowyn, the real shieldmaiden's character, a little. This may be a childish, unreasonable reason for me to dislike Arwen but I'm just being honest. I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Indes Elfwine. (Thanks Maka!)
Figwit
Send Message
on: February 15, 2005 08:36
First of all, ArwenSlayer (what's in a name eh?) I respect your point of view. Just wanted to make some general comments (can't stop really ).

The sword wielding warrior princess I saw in the Fellowship of the Ring was, to me, a complete antonym of [a beautiful, gentle, graceful noble-woman]

See, this argument bugs me because it doesn't make sense to me. If Galadriel would pick up a sword, it wouldn't seem at all strange to me either. Lúthien was both graceful and noble; and a true warrior princess (a lot more than Arwen in the movies). I don't understand why the one rules out the other. That's just me, I guess, but maybe you could explain?

I really disliked the fact that Arwen summoned the powers of the river. If Elrond and Gandalf, one of the most powerful Elf-lords of all time and a Maia (both of them Ringbearers to boot), had to work together to raise the Bruinen, I doubt that an ordinary elleth with no magic powers to speak of (besides the magic weaving she did for Aragorns banner) coud've done it.

I don't like that change either. But then again, I don't like so much .

Also, Arwen leaving in Return of the King. For me that ended any romantic allusions of her as a 'symbol of hope and devotion'. To me she seemed from then on to be a thoughtless child who had made a promise impulsively without any thought and then, when told what the consequences would be, got herself the hell out of there. 'Nothing left her in Middle Earth'? What about Aragorn, the supposed 'love of her life'?

Well, the cards are different in the books and the movies. In the books, Aragorn AND Arwen are faithful TO EACHOTHER. In the movies, to put it bluntly, Aragorn dumps Arwen. Who does she have to be faithful to? What should she fight for?
How does it look, to her, who's waited for him for so long? It looks like he can't handle it. Like he's backing out. He doesn't want to be held responsible for her possible future suffering. He's a coward. He's not respecting her choice, her integrity.
Still, she's in doubt. She wants to stay. She believes that there is still hope, not just for the War - but for them, as a couple. It's only when Elrond starts to describe most colourfully a possible future to her, that she decides to go with him.
She obeys her father. In some cultures that's a virtue. And what does she have to be disobedient for? Nothing, really. Maybe the faint hope that IF Aragorn succeeds, IF he wins and can become King and IF he doesn't prefer (maybe even for political reasons) to marry a Gondorian, Arnorian or even Rohirrim woman - she might get back together with him.

BUT, then she sees Eldarion, a child. The love a woman (or even a man) has for his children is always much stronger than any other kind of love. I can even say the same thing about my godchildren, that they come first for me. That I would always put them first. And they're not even my own.
Arwen sees this child, this possible child, and she instantly loves it. And she decides that the child is worth fighting for. And her way of fighting, is to remain in Middle-earth. It's still the same frail, IF-based hope, but now a child - her child - is involved.
Makes perfect sense to me.
Boyens and Walsh are both mothers, and they speak of their children with great love and care. It figures that they would be sensitive for this strongly biologically determined side of womanhood.

Not to mention how rude it was of her just to ride off without answering Figwit's questions. The polite thing to do would be just to say 'Sorry but I have to go back to Rivendell' and then ride off.

That wouldn't be dramatic at all! You don't see Éowyn apologizing to all those people left in her care when she secretly takes off. I mean, she leaves them behind leaderless, defenseless, uncared for. How is that for responsibily, or even politeness?
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2005 09:56
I suppose Luthien is proof that you can be a 'princess' and a 'warrior' but I generally see Book!Arwen as a Guinevere/Igraine-esque figure to Galadriels's Viviane and Eowyn's Morgana.I imagine Galadriel as wise and magical; Eowyn as strong, brave and reckless; Arwen as a gentle, demure, lady-like stereotypical fairytale princess, so to speak. Kind of like Cosette from Les Miserables.Not pro-active. Taking down the Nazgul is the kind of thing Eowyn would do, while Arwen stays at home. I suppose I should have been clearer before.
While Aragorn did dump her in Rivendell, she still sent the wierd may the Valar protect you psychic connection kissing bit, and told Elrond that she still had hope. To me, this indicates that she hadn't given up on Aragorn. And why should she have; Aragorn broke up with her, wanting her to go to Valinor, wanting what was best for her. And he was right.
I think she should have gone to Valinor. She may have years of happiness as Queen of Gondor but what happened when Aragorn died? She was so screwed up by it that she left her grieving children to die a horrible despairing death in the faded remenants of Lorien. Very nice. Sorry if that sounds bitter but I do think her leaving Eldarion and her daughters to die alone in despair was cold, melodramatic and just plain silly. That's another reason why I dislike Arwen.
I appreciate that others will disagree with me and hope I haven't caused offense.

Indes.

Celebrianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2005 02:32
Ah, this might get a little bookish, but bear with me moderators.

I think the part about Arwen leaving Eldarion is getting a bit closer to the book. Anyway, I would say it was fair enough for Arwen to leave her children. By simple reckoning, Eldarion must have been at least 100 years old by the time ARwen left him. In fact, I think he would be older, because I really dont think Aragorn and Arwen waited 20 years after their marriage to have a child.

It is very natural to leave your kids to their independence after you have done you job. And to remain behind in sorrow to cater to kids that are probably 80 yrs old and above is ridiculous.

Maybe going to Lorien was ARwen's way of gaining some comfort. Everyone was dead. Every one, except her kids, and Legolas and Gimli, who chose to go to Valinor. All of her family was in Valinor. That old world that she knew and loved was gone. That is very natural. Many elderly people feel it even today. And there are also many elderly people who die after a spouse has died. The ones who have more to live for, usually hang on...but those whose spouses were their lives might find it more challenging to get thru the days. So I dont find that Arwen leaving her kids is so inhumane.

Also, I dont know where everyone gets this impression that Arwen was some demure woman. To compare her to Cosette, imho, is a bit far-fetched. Cosette was an ingenue in many things. Yes, I believe Awen was virtuous, but I also believed she was very knowledgable. We are not told a lot about her in the books..but in every sentence that mentioned her, I never got the impression that she was demure. She spoke wisely to Aragorn and when Frodo saw her she appeared a mystery. In the description thru Frodo's eyes, Tolkien said that thought and knowledge was on her brow and in her eyes was the wisdom of many days. I am not sure where the demure fit in. At least, I never got that impression.

Also, if Arwen is not proactive...why is it that she sent a standard to Aragorn to hail him as king in Gondor? Why is it that she sends her word that either our hope cometh or all hope ends? Then why is it that after receiving that message, Aragorn becomes silent and begins to take counsel with his kinsman? I understood that message to mean that she sent her word to tell him that it was time for him to begin his path to claiming the throne of Gondor. Wouldnt you say that was proactive?

Warriormaid3000
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2005 05:57
Ah, this might get a little bookish, but bear with me moderators.

Maybe going to Lorien was ARwen's way of gaining some comfort. Everyone was dead. Every one, except her kids, and Legolas and Gimli, who chose to go to Valinor. All of her family was in Valinor. That old world that she knew and loved was gone. That is very natural. Many elderly people feel it even today. And there are also many elderly people who die after a spouse has died. The ones who have more to live for, usually hang on...but those whose spouses were their lives might find it more challenging to get thru the days. So I dont find that Arwen leaving her kids is so inhumane.

Arwen is not elderly and shouldn't be compared to an elderly person today because her sitituation is not the same. She does not feel old, as the book says she was "was not yet weary of her years." I don't think she was old for an elf, who don't feel time as humans do.

A lot of the reasons why elderly people feel like they have nothing left to live for is that they really do have very little to live for. Most (not all) elderly people are not working, and are actually feeling the physical effects of old age (memory loss, poor health, dependancy, etc.). Also, they know they've naturally drawn close to the end of their natural lifespan.

Arwen's loss was only Aragorn. Faramir outlived Eowyn for some time and their love was no less true. You may argue that Aragorn and Arwen knew each other longer, but for Arwen's case, 60 years of waiting and 100 years of being together isn't long for an elf.
Celebrianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2005 01:50
Arwen is not elderly and shouldn't be compared to an elderly person today because her sitituation is not the same. She does not feel old, as the book says she was "was not yet weary of her years." I don't think she was old for an elf, who don't feel time as humans do.

Elves appear young but they are old in spirit. In Morgoth's Ring Tolkien said that elves do indeed grow old but in spirit. They are ancient beings. Elderly does not have to mean physically. They are burdened with sorrow because of the years they endure. Thats probably why Valinor is a good place of rest for them. And whether or not you want to credit it, Arwen is old...but not weary physically.

A lot of the reasons why elderly people feel like they have nothing left to live for is that they really do have very little to live for. Most (not all) elderly people are not working, and are actually feeling the physical effects of old age (memory loss, poor health, dependancy, etc.). Also, they know they've naturally drawn close to the end of their natural lifespan.

Well considering that she is no longer queen and no doubt Eldarion has his own wife to be queen and her daughters might very well be married, I dont see why she should hold on to a changing world just to watch her children in bliss or watch her children live their lives. I am happy to see my parents going about doing their own thing because it is their time to live. They are done with raising me and now life is theirs to do whatever they like. Arwen had the same with Aragorn, but now he is gone.

BTW, in M/E, parents have been leaving their children since the First Age. But if you want to talk about something, talk about Theoden's sister leaving her young children behind. Wasnt it her grief for her husband that led to her death? Arwen's children was, I re-iterate, at least 80 yrs old.

Arwen's loss was only Aragorn. Faramir outlived Eowyn for some time and their love was no less true. You may argue that Aragorn and Arwen knew each other longer, but for Arwen's case, 60 years of waiting and 100 years of being together isn't long for an elf.

Arwen's loss was Aragorn, and all of her family. People seem to think that in Arwen marrying Aragorn, she completely forgot a family that she has been living with for over 2,000 years. Why should she have no value for these things? Does her love of Aragorn excludes EVERY ONE ELSE? Simply because she chose to remain with Aragorn, does that marginalize her love for her parents and extended family? Men are only on earth for a brief while. Arwen was there 2,000 years. In the Debate of Finrod and Andreth, Finrod said that mortal can never feel the changes of the world like elves do.

I dont know what Faramir did in his grief, and I really dont care. The thing is, his memories are short compared to a woman who has lived for 2,000 yrs. Arwen was left with the doom of her decision. To live and think freely about everything including the old world, her family, and her beloved Aragorn. I dont know how else to explain it to you, but I certainly understand her situation and Finrod's account also opened my eyes to the way elves experience immortality and the toll it takes on their spirit.

[Edited on 16/2/2005 by Celebrianna]
Figwit
Send Message
on: February 16, 2005 02:35
I'm not going to go into the whole 'Arwen left the kiddies behind'-thing because a) that's strictly book and this is the movie forum and b) Celebrianna practically said all there is to say about that.

I'd like to say something about this, though:

Aragorn broke up with her, wanting her to go to Valinor, wanting what was best for her. And he was right.
I think she should have gone to Valinor. She may have years of happiness as Queen of Gondor but what happened when Aragorn died?

I don't get that argument. See, for me one of the most important themes in Tolkien's work is 'choice'. The power of choice, the freedom to choose, the strength and courage to make a decision and stick with it. It's reflected in almost every storyline and every character, and it's in Arwen too: she chooses to be with Aragorn, she chooses to turn away from the twilight and remain in Middle-earth, she chooses life.

In the movie too, Arwen stresses this element. On the bridge in FOTR she says: 'It is mine to give, like my heart'. She gives her life, her immortality, her love freely; expecting only love in return.

Does she do this for nothing? No. Men don't go to Mandos with the Elves, but that doesn't mean they're dead and gone. Tolkien was a catholic, and this is reflected in his works: Men travel 'outside the confines of this world'. In the book, these are Aragorn's parting words to Arwen: hold on, and I'll wait for you on the other side. She gives up the prospect of an eternal life in Valinor with her family, in the hope of living eternally with Aragorn after death. That is the gift of Men. That it is bitter, is only natural. Even very religious people fear death, and feel abandoned when those close to them die. They even start to doubt their believes.

This brings me to one of the most annoying changes in the movie, and that's the whole 'breakup'-thing. It doesn't happen in the books, because Aragorn respects Arwen's decision. He doesn't waver under the weight of it, because there is no weight.

A lot of people claim that Tolkien wrote from an androcentric point of view, and that especially Arwen is a product from a society where women weren't as important as men.
However, it's the movie where the man has to take responsibility for the woman. It's the movie where Arwen's decision is not hers, but Aragorn's. It's the movie where Arwen is weak and stupid and emotional, and doesn't make the right choice.
In the book, this is completely different: here Arwen is very wise, and responsible. The burden of her choice lays on her shoulders.

With all this in mind, I think writing Arwen off based just on the fact that she wavers in the end is just too easy.
Oo_shield_maiden_oO
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2005 09:33
Umm.. OK, I'm not much of a debate type person... but I might as well throw my two cents into this whole thing. Since this IS a movie forum, I'm basing all my evidence on the movies. No book stuff for me or I'll be here for days.

First movie... let me say that I actually didn't mind Arwen. Yes I did miss Glorfy, and I did think it was a shame to shove Arwen there in his place. Since all elves are supposed to be good at fighting and all I didn't really care.

Second movie... Oh. My. God. Big mistake, I believe, for the entire movie!Arwen character. All of a sudden she's like the damsel in distress waiting for her true love to return. I really... REALLY... hated the fact that she just sits there, gets told off by her dad, starts crying and gives up. The whole point of Arwen is to be a symbol of hope! What hope does she have if she gives up? That just threw the whole "Arwen is a symbol of hope" thing right down the drain. She gave up = no hope left. Nuff said.

Third movie... She's on her way to Valinor. She has a vision. This I think is another mistake. She has a vision, sees Aragorn with a child... I'm sorry but I really do think she came back just for the child. I kind of think her love for Aragorn wasn't strong enough to make her stay.

I'm kind of sick of all this negativity on Eowyn. Some of you are saying she's suicidal and alone and everything... can you blame her?! Who in the world wouldn't feel that way after losing both your parents, being stalked by some creep for so many years, having her brother banished, having her uncle under the influence to Saruman, having the one person she loved, Aragorn, turning her down, never having the chance to defend her people, watching her kingdom fall... that's so much that she has been through. I'd feel suicidal, I'd feel alone. I think most of us would. You can say you won't but I don't think any of us have been in that position before, so I can't tell. The fact she went to war to die just because Aragorn dumped her is stupid as well. She has always wanted to defend her people, did she ever get the chance? No. She never got to fight and help her country. She helped them AFTER they had fought, AFTER the war. I can understand she'd want to do something during the war instead of just waiting for people that could never return.

In conclusion I think Arwen in the movies was really stuffed up. The writers messed up her character turning into someone she wasn't. But frankly, I don't like Arwen in the movies or the books.
Figwit
Send Message
on: February 25, 2005 02:28
Just some remarks on the Eowyn thing.

I'm kind of sick of all this negativity on Eowyn. Some of you are saying she's suicidal and alone and everything... can you blame her?!

How is that negativity? It's just her character, what it does, who it is...

never having the chance to defend her people,

That's not true. Théoden gave her that chance when he placed her in charge of his kingdom before going off to war. That she ignores the people who need her to lead them to ride into war, shows that she is not a warrior who wants to help her people, but in fact a very selfish young girl. And I'm not saying that because I don't like her, it's part of the strength of her character that she's got an interesting psychological drama going on there, but I think it'd be very wrong to see her as some sort of feminist, because that's not what she's about.
Ingold
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2005 11:49

never having the chance to defend her people,

That's not true. Théoden gave her that chance when he placed her in charge of his kingdom before going off to war. That she ignores the people who need her to lead them to ride into war, shows that she is not a warrior who wants to help her people, but in fact a very selfish young girl. And I'm not saying that because I don't like her, it's part of the strength of her character that she's got an interesting psychological drama going on there, but I think it'd be very wrong to see her as some sort of feminist, because that's not what she's about.

The Éowyn debate also needs a huge degree of perspective. On the face of it she did leave her people but let's back up and consider what Théoden was asking her to do: Stay away from the front lines and if our army's destroyed spend your talents dying a futile useless death. If Sauron took the Ring back, Éowyn's valour would have been useless. No mountain hold could restrain the evil of Sauron and certainly no act of Éowyn's

The Rohirrim had to deal with the fact that sooner or later the house of Eorl couldn't last forever and learn to develop as a people in their own right.

Add to that: Whether she intended it or not Éowyn fulfilled the Oath of Eorl by riding to Gondor's aid. Eorl promised Cirion that his heirs "all such as may come after me" would come to Gondor's aid. Éowyn was an heir of Eorl. Third in line to the throne, so Théoden was in the wrong by ordering a fellow heir of Eorl to stay home. Éowyn had a higher obligation to Gondor than even her own people.

[Edited on 25/2/2005 by Ingold]
Figwit
Send Message
on: February 26, 2005 10:27
Sorry for taking this off-topic. I'll post on Éowyn no more after this, promise.

On the face of it she did leave her people but let's back up and consider what Théoden was asking her to do: Stay away from the front lines and if our army's destroyed spend your talents dying a futile useless death. If Sauron took the Ring back, Éowyn's valour would have been useless. No mountain hold could restrain the evil of Sauron and certainly no act of Éowyn's

Of course, there's also the chance that Théoden would die but still be victorious. Which... happened. Actually. Who'd keep them safe then? Sauron isn't the only threat? Not all of Saruman's Orcs were defeated, not all the Wild Men were killed... they are still in Rohan. Who will organize the protection? Men were left behind to defend Edoras, I'm certain of that. Who was to lead them? Who was to organize shelter for those who lost their homes, secure the crops?
Sure, you won't go down in songs that way - and that is the key to understanding the Rohirrim. Without the importance of song and legend you simply can't understand any of Théoden's, Éomer's or Éowyn's actions... which happened in the process of adapting the movie.

"Valour without reknown", remember? Éowyn is not keen on 'using her talents', because she's not such a great warrior (certainly not in the book); she's keen on reknown.

Pulling this one back to Arwen: when she returns because of Eldarion she is in fact doing something for her people and Aragorn's, which will also go unnoticed. The child of Arwen and Aragorn (as I said before) reunites the line of Half-elves; and of Elrond & Elros. She is, as a future Queen, fulfilling her duty to her people by grasping at the hope of providing Aragorn a 'mythical' heir.
foreverfrodo
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2006 03:31
:angry: WHY DID SHE GET THIRD BILLING!?!
Why is she before the king (Viggo Mortensen) and Sam!
One, she's not an 'A listing' actress.
Two, she's not in the movie enough to get third billing.
And three, she's not in the book hardly at all. All she does is make a little banner!

She forces herself into scenes and songs..
I mean, they have to make up dreams to add her into the movie more.
And the whole thought of adding her into Helm's Deep :twitch:
It would have totally taken away from Eowyn's character. And how would that even have worked? They would have been totally steering away from the book, and I know people are already mad enough that the movies aren't closer to the books.
Why did she have to steal Glorfindel's part? And they make such a big deal out of her saving Frodo when in the book it wasn't even her! And it could have been Aragorn, but she insisted that she was a faster rider and she should go. Now tell me how someone is a faster rider on the same horse!
Then, when you don't see her face you hear her voice!

Now onto the posters and commercials.
If you go to www.lordoftherings.net then go to the video section you will find a fellowship commercial. They show most of the fellowship, but no Merry and Pippin. Instead.. guess who pops up! ARWEN!! Is she in the fellowship? I don't think so!
She is on just about every poster made for these movies. And she is in every calendar! In the portraits calendar for 2007 Arwen's in there, but no Pippin!

..The Evenstar (thank lord that thing broke!)
It just keeps popping up, almost as much as her! Everyone makes such a big deal out of it.
It all starts in the Fellowship when she gives it to him. What guy would want to wear a girl's necklace?
In the Two Towers.. what does Eowyn notice? The Evenstar! And she goes on to ask about it. Then a flashback about Arwen and the Evenstar! That's when Aragorn trys to break up with her, but she won't let him. To make her understand that he is actually breaking up with her he holds out the Evenstar, but no, she won't take it! Then go figure, the thing the orc grabs onto is.. the Evenstar! On top of that, as proof that Aragorn really fell off the cliff, the orc shows the Evenstar. Miraculously, Aragorn survives thanks to Arwen's amazing kissing skills. So Aragorn gets back to Helm's Deep and not even a minute later BAM there's the Evenstar! And you can just tell by Aragorn's face that his life is whole again.
Onto Return of the King.. when Arwen sees her kid wearing the Evenstar that is suppose to be broken! The whole family probably got matching Evenstars.. And when Aragorn dreams of it breaking he shoots up with a dagger. I'm pretty sure he was about to commit suicide, but there was a man standing there who probably thought he was crazy. Then we see it.. the same scene again! Like we didn't get it the first time. But this time he actually breaks it! Thank god that was the end of it!
The dumb thing looked like a uterus anyways. :nono:

I mean do you really want to see a face like that for 9+ hours?

Arwen should have just gotten her own little Brady Bunch box throughout the whole movie, just so no one would forget about her! :banghead:

[Edited on 2/9/2006 by foreverfrodo]
StrangertotheRain
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2006 04:30
It all starts in the Fellowship when she gives it to him. What guy would want to wear a girl's necklace?

Someone who's deeply in love?? Have you ever loved someone that much? Obviously, no.

The dumb thing looked like a uterus anyways.

No offense, but that right there just gives us an idea on how mature you are. Grow up.
Oh, and I don't mean to disappoint you, but that 'dumb thing' (the Evenstar) didn't really break. It was a vision from Sauron. Want proof? Look at Aragorn during the Black Gates. You'll see that he's wearing it. Sorry.

Anyways, whether you want to believe it or not, Arwen was a rather important character in the books as well. Read the Appendices, and learn about her history and you'll see what I mean. I personally find Arwen to be one of the most interesting characters I've ever read.

Two, you can't blame Liv. Did she write the script? No. Did she direct the movie? No. Liv was doing her job as an actress. That's all. You can't blame her.
But let's get this straight, is complaining about it going to change it? No. Might as well forget it, and move on.
But if even that fact won't do any good for you, go study film, and direct the movie yourself.

Three, try to put yourself in her situation. Do you really think the choice she made was an easy/painless one? Absolutely not.

Also, since when is ten or fifteen minutes out of a three hour long movie too long?! Eowyn wasn't in the The Two Towers for a long time, and there she is. No one's complaining about her! Oh wait, that's right. She's the kick-@ss warrioress, I guess she's an exception. -_-

My advice for you is, be a bit more open-minded. Also, try to act a little more...mature when presenting your arguments/debates.

fbc's quote:

Sooo...the only way a woman can be strong is to act just like men? Sexist much? Also, Eowyn spends a lot of her screen time crying, making big cow-eyes at Aragorn, hanging on his every word, disobeying Theoden's orders etc. Those are not exactly the actions of an emotionally strong woman. Arwen on the other hand, sticks to her guns, remains dignified, retains a good relationship with her father despite the conflict. Arwen ain't weak, she's anything but weak. By the way, this is my opinion: Crying is NOT a sign of weakness. I am a very emotional person, and I cry often. That does NOT make me a weak person.

7. "Arwen said she scorned mortals. She was a BIG MEANIE to the people she was Queen over! What a 8888888!"

I'm not trying to convert you. But I would like you to understand something that you seem to know barely about.

Thank You.

(Apologies if you found this harsh)

-Stranger

[Edited on 14/1/2007 by StrangertotheRain]

Celebrianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2006 06:20
Thanks for sharing that Strangertotherain. It was a good read and some great points that fbc made. Having endured Arwen bashing for 2.5 years now, its so refreshing to read these points again. I actually can't believe that this topic is being revived.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email