Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
Post Gardening
on: June 07, 2003 08:37
Sorry if this has been suggested before. I checked quickly but if it has been suggested then i probably missed it.

How about a section on gardening in the last homely house? It could be written by "sam" and could tell you things like what tree looks most like a mallorn if you want one in your garden or what plant is closest in looks to athelas. It might also have things like ME garden furniture and how to build an elvish treehouse like the ones in lothlorien.

After all if people want LOTR rooms then maybe somepeople would like a LOTR garden? just an idea, don't be afraid to tell me how bad it is!

Let's Get Organised!! ¤ by Tan

Gardens
Hobbit Garden ~ Eloise, Simbelmyne COMPLETED

Morder Garden ~ Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost COMPLETED

Gray Havens ~ Ringhilwen, Simbelmyne

Rivendell ~ Simbelmyne, Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost

Lothlorien ~ Simbelmyne, Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost

Hollin ~ Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost, Eloise

Gondor ~ Simbelmyne

Rohan ~ Simbelmyne

Falls of Rauros ~ Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost, Eloise

Dead Marshes ~ Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost

Ithilien ~ Eloise, Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost, Simbelmyne

Moria ~ drunken_elf

Wilderland Garden ~ Simbelmyne, Eloise

Houses of Healing ~ Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost, Simbelmyne

Researchers

Furniture ~ Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
Plant Pictures ~ NenyaGold
Herbs ~ Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost

[Edited on 18/6/2003 by Tanlaithwen]

[Edited on 23/6/2003 by Tanlaithwen]

[Edited on 24/6/2003 by Tanlaithwen]
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
Post RE: Gardening
on: June 07, 2003 09:50
On the contrary Eloise, it's an excellent idea, I like it very muchly! Your ideas for M-e plants and furniture would be greatly appreciated, we're always looking for new things. Would you like to write this or are we going to have to scout for green-fingered friends?
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 07, 2003 10:13
That sounds like a great idea! I don't know a lot about gardening, but if I can I'd be happy to help out somehow!
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 08, 2003 06:03
Well i don't know very much about plants or gardening but i'll be happy to help in any way that i can. My mum has lots of books on plants, maybe i could look through those. I have another problem with doing it myself as i'm not very good with technolgy so i could have real problems submitting it. If someone helps me with the technological bits then i'll do as much as i can but if a member does know a lot about this sort of thing then it might be better to get them to do it.

to cut a long story short- i'd be happy to help someone who knows alot about this but if no one does then i could do some.
HobbitFriend
Maps student, site patron and supporter
Send Message
on: June 08, 2003 12:21
Let me know if you need any help as well, I am an avid gardener, (and a supporter of sustainable agriculture)--a grower of organic veges, flowers and herbs.

NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: June 08, 2003 01:37
HOBBIT GARDEN

Here's a quote from FotR before Bilbo left the shire:

"The flowers glowed red and golden: snap-dragons and sunflowers, and nasturtiums trailing all over the turf walls and peeping in at the round windows." That was the only reference I could find about what kind of flowers Sam grew.

I also like Gandalf's quote on my signature. :love:

Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 08, 2003 10:02
Well I've thought about it some more, and I thought there are two different types of garden that could be done:

HOBBIT GARDEN
1) a hobbit garden- bright flowers like those in Nenyagold's quote and vegetables like those that merry and pippin steal from farmer maggot in the film. Maybe fruit trees as well?

LOTHLORIEN GARDEN
2) an elvish garden, with a tree house based on the buildings in lothlorien, water feature like galadriel's mirror and plants that look like elanor, mallorn trees ( some immagination might have to be used for that one) and maybe athelas as i can't really see it fitting into a hobbit garden as much even though it must grow in the shire as sam knows about it.

GONDOR GARDEN/HOUSES OF HEALING
maybe after return of the king, if there's a garden shown in gondor ( can't remeber if there's a garden in the houses of healing or not) then we could add that. If anyone has any ideas please tell me as at the moment i'm prepared to write this thing but i'll need ALOT of help!

Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: June 09, 2003 03:22
As for submitting it Eloise, you don't need to worry about that. I put all the articles up in TLHH, so I'll do the technology bit The text can be sent to me via PM, and if you have any pictures you can send them to me at [email protected] Thanks for offering all your help guys, this could turn out to be a very good project, especially if we have some people quite experienced with the green stuff. So, how do you intend to organise this? I can leave you to it until you have some work to submit or would you like me to organise? But I'm sure you're perfectly capable of that Who would like to write what?
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 09, 2003 04:11
I'd like to help a bit: my parents are into gardening, and I could help with some of the design stuff. We've also got a 3D Garden Designer, I think, so I might be able to get some captures from that.

I've also got lots of plants on the Sims, which could be used to start off designing. Weird idea, but might work. I can also make object files to load into that, so...

More than just the hobbit and elvish gardens, we could try and do one for each place they visit (well, sort of - a Mordor-style garden might be tricky) We could have one for the Shire, one for Lothlorien, one for Rivendell...and maybe one with the white tree in the center might be interesting. The Houses of Healing may also be interesting to attempt.

If anyone can find some designs or stuff to start the design with, then we can probably start pretty soon!

~*~Simbelmyne~*~
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 09, 2003 10:52
Tanlaithwen, if you could organise it i'd be eternally gratefull. Simbelmyne, your idea for all of the different gardens is great. Maybe if we could sort out everyone who wants to help, then everyone could each do a different garden. If we first of all sort out what gardens we want done then people could be allocated to each garden, write a peice on it and then submit it. The people with more plant knowledge could help those of us with less and if you know alot about one specific area such as garden furniture or buildings like treehouses and green houses then you could help others with that. (sorry tanlaithwen, i just asked you to organise it then i'm giving all my ideas for organiseation.)
So the ideas for gardens so far are:
Hobbit garden

Rivendell garden

(could we manage a hollin garden?)

lothlorein garden

( maybe a rohan garden)

(possibly a fangorn/ entish garden)

Gondorian garden( Either houses of healing or the white tree or both)

Mordor garden (thorny plants and bramble? can't think who'd want this one but mabe people who like orcs and stuff...)

i'd like to do either the lothlorien garden or the hobbit garden if no one objects to that.
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 10, 2003 03:34
OK, I'd like to try and help with the Rivendell, Lothlorien, Rohan, Shire and Gondorian gardens. I'll search around for some interesting plants that could fit these places. I'll post the pics if I find any good ones.

Interesting idea about the Hollin garden, Eloise, have you any ideas on how we could do it?

How about we start plotting out everything we'd need for each garden in here?

Another thing: what about having a gallery for pictures of the garden designs, gardens that have been made with the design ideas, and plants that are effective?

Just my ideas,

~*~Simbelmyne~*~
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 10, 2003 03:45

Do you think this could be elanor? To quote the bbc gardening website:

Common Name: Arnica
Genus: Arnica
Species: montana
Skill Level: Beginner
Exposure: Full sun
Hardiness: Hardy
Soil type: Well-drained/light
Height: 50cm
Spread: 30cm

This is a good plant for the rock garden with rosettes of attractive aromatic, downy leaves, and large, solitary, orange-yellow flowers in summer. At one time the plant was much sought after in herbal medicine and used to treat a very wide range of complaints from paralysis of the bladder to typhus fevers, but, more recently, it appears to have been used mainly in the treatment of sprains and bruises.

I'll keep looking for niphredil and athelas. Does anyone know some of the properties of athelas that would help find a correct plant for it?
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 10, 2003 04:02
HOLLIN GARDEN
wow great picture! it deffinatly could be elanor. The only reason i suggested hollin was because tolkein(ithink) mentions it having lots of holly bushes. because athelas is used for healing i'm guessing it might be some sort of herb but in the film it looked like some sort of low growing plant and i think it had small white flowers. i don't know if tolkien gives a more accurate description, i'll go have a look later.

A gallery is a great idea. thank you so much for suggesting so many ideas and giving lots of help- you've all done so much more than me. If we keep going at this rate then the whole thing will be finished in a couple of weeks!

Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 10, 2003 04:10
What about a grey havens garden? Maybe decking as a path, and very elvish feel?

Just found another elanor:

Common Name: Daffodil
Genus: Narcissus
Cultivar: 'Cassata'
Exposure: Full sun, Partial shade
Soil type: Well-drained/light, Moist
Height: 15cm
Spread: 10cm
Time to plant: August to November

'Cassata' has striking creamy yellow flowers with open lemon-yellow centres, fading to white. It is perfect for border displays and as a cut flower.

Plant bulbs in autumn at twice their own depth. After flowering, allow the foliage to die down naturally as damage to the leaves can cause the bulbs to fail to flower the following spring.

[Edited on 10/6/2003 by Simbelmyne]
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: June 10, 2003 05:22
I've placed some photos that I took of Nasturtiums, Snapdragons and Sunflowers in a private Journal for you to look at, Eloise. If you want to use any of them in your garden section let me know and I can upload them when the time comes. I only ask that you include a line under them that they were taken by me. :love: These are the ones mentioned in the quote in my post above.

[Edited on 6/15/2003 by NenyaGold]
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: June 10, 2003 07:57
What about a grey havens garden? Maybe decking as a path, and very elvish feel?

If you need pictures of seaside gardens, some of which look very elvish, or what kinds of plants grow well in the salt air, let me know. I'm an expert on seaside gardening, and have tons of resources.
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 10, 2003 08:58
Nenyagold, i'm having problems looking at the pictures. i click on the link and it says i don't have permission to look at them! I'm sure we will use them, and don't worry you will get full credit! If anyone else has any other pictures that we could use then please say and we'll put them in. A grey havens garden is a great idea. Ringhilwen, if you want to write it and need more ideas then i'm sure that someone here can help. I had a look for athelas in the books, simbelmyne and the only description i could find said it had long leaves.
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 11, 2003 01:57
HOBBIT GARDEN
Ok here are my ideas for a hobbit garden so far. If you have any more ideas then add them on and i'll try to write this up propperly at the weekend.

[/b] Plants[b]
Flowers- Brightly coloured flowere like snapdragons, nasturciums, sunflowers, sweetpeas, panseys, poppies, geraniums and anyother brightly coloured flowers.

Fruit and veg- carrots, potatoes, cabbage, peas, strawberries, lettuce all in a vegetable patch.

Trees- fruit trees like apple, cherry, plum. maybe an oak(i always think of the party tree as an oak for some reason.

[/b] Furniture[b]

Rustic wooden benches and if you're planning an outside party or meal then rustic chairs and tables covered with tablecloth.

[/b]Other features[b]

log pile- like where the hobbit was chopping wood before the nazgul came to ask the way to hobbiton.

Mushroom log- i think you can buy logs that have got mushroom spores on them, need to check that, but it would be good to have mushrooms in the garden

Stream- if you want a water feature then a stream might be better than a pond.

Paths- what would they be made from? i think sort of a flagstone effect but if you've got any ideas then please say.

ok that's all i can think of for the moment, if you have any ideas for this or any of the other gardens then please tell me.

Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: June 11, 2003 04:05
Wow, I go away for two days and when I come back the thread has exploded!
Eloise, it looks like you have organisation pretty much covered for this; you don't need me at all! I'll sit back and watch Once you have the stuff, get it to me and up it will go. I'll ask somebody to make a Gardening section for TLHH, so it can all be in its own special place. There are some fantastic ideas here, keep 'em coming!
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 11, 2003 04:23
Those are really nice ideas! If we can find some pics to go with them, I can try and design the garden on The Sims. Unless we have victims to try the design on?

RIVENDELL GARDEN

Plants: white roses

Common Name: Hybrid tea rose
Genus: Rosa
Cultivar: 'Polar Star'
Soil type: Well-drained/light, Clay/heavy, Moist
Height: 100cm
Spread: 70cm

An award-winning variety from Germany, this was named Rose of the Year in 1985. The vigorous, upright bushes are slightly larger than normal for hybrid teas, with sturdy, spiny stems, very healthy matt foliage. The large, creamy white, very slightly scented flowers are borne from summer to autumn.

Abutilon

Common Name: Abutilon
Genus: Abutilon
Species: vitifolium
Cultivar: 'Tennant's White'
Skill Level: Experienced
Hardiness: Tender
Soil type: Well-drained/light
Height: 500cm
Spread: 250cm
Time to take cuttings: May to July

Slightly less hardy than its cousin A. megapotamicum, this handsome and vigorous Chilean shrub is best planted in late spring to give it time to mature before winter. A sunny warm wall with good shelter from frosty winds is the best position for it in most gardens, although it will make a large, prominent, free-standing shrub in milder areas. The downy, deeply-cut leaves, a subtle grey-green and vine-shaped, are attractive all season, but especially when backing the profusion of wide open white to mauve flowers.

LOTHLORIEN GARDEN

Niphredil? Image

Common Name: Astilbe
Genus: Astilbe
Species: x rosea
Cultivar: 'Peach Blossom'
Exposure: Full sun, Partial shade
Soil type: Clay/heavy, Moist, Boggy
Height: 60cm
Spread: 45cm
Time to divide plants: November to March

In mid-summer, plumes of peach-pink flowers reach up from mid-green leaves which are divided and finely toothed at the edges. This perennial will thrive in moist situations, making it ideal for planting next ponds and other water features. Plant in large drifts for the best effect.

I'll put more in later - this post is too long already! Maybe I should put this stuff in my journal.

Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 11, 2003 07:15
Simbelmyne if you want to do the garden on the sims then go straight ahead! only thing is, would there be a problem with copy right or anything? sorry i don't know much about that sort of stuff. anyway i'm not sure that anyone will want us designing their garden quite yet untill we've got designs finished. all the flowers you've found so far look great! maybe we can use some of those pictures along with nenyagold's photographs? once again we might have to check the copyright.
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 11, 2003 07:31
LOTHLORIEN GARDEN/MORDOR GARDEN
Ok, I will do the Mordor garden; if 'yall don't mind. I have a good idea on what it would look like, and the plants you wuld find there.
Plus, I can help with pictures. I have a vast collection of flower pictures I took. If you get any from books I'd worry abought copyright laws.
I can also help with furniture, I have some designs for Lothlorien seating, etc. I designed a Mirror of Galadriel birdbath or outdoor sink, whatever you want to call it. It would cost like $500 U.S. to make it; so I need to work on materiels. I'm making a mini now. Somebody please PM me when they need me, I'm always here!

Ainulindale
Last Homely Housekeeper
& Gallery Shirriff

Send Message
on: June 11, 2003 10:56
I think the pictures are brilliant, it's such a good idea.

Why not have some thing to do with spices too? Or edible stuff in general. Would complement Pippin's recipe section very well. There could be many different gardens for people who live in different climates, or model them after the areas in LOTR.

How about a section on gardening in the last homely house? It could be written by "sam" and could tell you things like what tree looks most like a mallorn if you want one in your garden or what plant is closest in looks to athelas.

(By Eloise)

That's a cool idea- we could have the hobbits sort of owning this area, if you get what i mean.

Eowyn_Touched_By_Frost a Mordor garden sounds cool- what sort of plants are there?
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 12, 2003 03:27
Ok Ainulindale, my knowledge of gardening is scarce but my knowledge of spices are non existant. Maybe if you could suggest some then we'll include them. I'll go have a look in pippin's cupboard later to see if there are any ingrediants there that could be added to a garden. Eowyn_touched_by_frost, if you're doing the mordor garden then that's fine by me as personally i was dreading that one! if you need any help then just say so.
Also if you've got lots of ideas, then before you type them up then could you post here first just to let us know that your doing that garden so we don't end up with six identical rivendell ( or whatever) gardens being submitted by different people. Also if you post the ideas that you have like i did for the hobbit garden so if people did want to do that garden or had good ideas for it then they can post them and you can include them if you want to. obviously if you have too many ideas then just give a very brief outline so that it doesn't take you half an hour to write it and it isn't even the finished version. (of course you don't HAVE to do this, it's just an idea to make each garden as good as possible)
thanks
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 12, 2003 04:32
I don't think there'd be a problem with copyright, but I'll try and check that.
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 12, 2003 09:15
MORDOR GARDEN
Ainulindale: I have some ideas on thorn bushes, that are actuallly a little pretty.
Then, there's just plain scrubbly plants and of course, orciture! Furniture fit for orcs. It will be fun, because I have a mental picture of Mordor.

Ainulindale
Last Homely Housekeeper
& Gallery Shirriff

Send Message
on: June 12, 2003 01:43
Eloise: By spices I mean cloves, cinamon, cumin, fennel, pepper, star anise etc. Even if they're not in the recipes in TLHH we could still have them I suppose.
You could include herbs like thyme, sage, rosemary, mint parsley, dill.

I have no idea how they look or how they grow though, whether on trees or plants or whatever, I only know how they look processed and packacged in my pantry:blush:

And while people are doing flowers and shrubs and all, we could have a vegetable garden too, if anyone out there knows how.
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 12, 2003 02:29
I am going to try and find out what plants they used for Athelas and Simbelmyne in the movie. It looked like a small verigated plant for Athelas, related to Thyme. I have it in my garden and I will try and find out information about that.
Here's some ideas for the gardening section:

A dictionary listing all the plants used and the ones reoresenting Athelas, Elanor, Niphrodel, etc.

Garden plans for the various gardens (Shire, Rivendell, Lorien, Mordor, etc.) including plants, furniture, ornaments and a like plot picture.

An assigned person to be in charge and someone to do each garden and other various tasks. If you haven't yet decide who will organize it all, I'd be happy to. I have tons of free time and I have some garden knowledge about various things (+ some good computer programs/books/resources)

That should do it, anyone approve?
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 12, 2003 05:28
Ok, here goes: Mordor furniture for your orc tastes:

Mordor-style Outdoor Hateseat:
Materials:
Legs: Four tree stumps. Cruelly-hewn and roughly 10 inches high/4-6 inches across
Back: One plywood plank. 4 ¾ feet long by 2 feet wide, thickness at least ¼ inch.
Seat: One 5 feet by 3 feet pine board. ½ -1 inch in thickness.
Color: 1 quart Black paint, latex for outdoors preferable.
Optional: small amount orange paint

Hardware: 2 inch and ¾ inch screws (gold color).
Tools:
Drill
Screwdriver
Small manual saw
Ax or hatchet
Large paint brush

Step 1: Take the pine board and attach the legs to it, one in each corner. The screws should go straight through the board and onto the legs from the top. You will need to pre drill holes in the board and legs, then attach with 2 2-inch screws per leg.

Step 2: Attach the back (plywood plank) to one of the long sides of the seat. Use 10 ¾ inch screws, evenly spaced. Pre drilling optional. Screws should come up from bottom and attach into back.

Step 3: You may now mutilate your loveseat to suit your orc or Uruk-hai tastes. Use your ax to carefully chip pieces off, your saw to cut grooves into the seat and back, your drill to add knotholes, and your screwdriver to slice and splice. For safety’s sake, do not damage the legs.

Step 4: When happy with you orc-tortured loveseat, or now hateseat, paint all of it with the black paint. Do not sand it first; the look will be more natural if you do not. Apply the black paint thickly, and not with too much care, to retain orc-style. Allow to dry for 2 days. If you wish, you can now paint an Eye of Sauron on with orange and yellow paints.
I do not recommend using a sealant, it will hold up better if you do but if you do not it will retain a much more appropriate orc-style.
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 12, 2003 07:27
Ok Ainulindale, the herbs are a great idea! I'm still not a hundred percent sure about the spices, mainly because i know so little about them. If I find out where they grow i'll include them but after all if they need a hot climate then the shire is supposed to be England or somewhere with a similar climate which means wet, cold and windy! if the spices need briliant sunshine then i'm not sure we can include them but if they don't then it should be fine!

Ok Eowyn_touched_by_frost, I love your orcature! It's a really great idea and will fit in with your mordor garden perfictly. The dictionary is another great idea but it could take a while to compile and i'm not sure that personally i'd want that job. If you want to do it then go ahead! it's a great idea.
As for organiseing it, I was going to do that, mainly because so far no-one's stepped forward and said that they want to do it. As you can probably tell i'm not doing the best job and my plant knowledge is VERY limited. Also i'm back at school:cry: si i don't have as much free time. If you want to organise it then go ahead! I'm doing the hobbit garden and your doing the mordor garden but apart from that i don't think anything's been organised. Also when i started, the idea was to do about four gardens and not much else! as you can see, so many more people have come up with great ideas, so the whole things getting VERY big.
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
on: June 12, 2003 09:41
HOUSES OF HEALING GARDEN
I think the garden with herbs and spices suggested by many would fit well for the Houses of Healing. I imagine it could be similar to the herb gardens of the monasteries common in Europe in the Middle Ages. Those had healing plants as well as spices and just nice-smelling plants like roses. There seems to be a lot of people here already who could do something like this, but if you like the idea I´m willing to help too.

Ainulindale
Last Homely Housekeeper
& Gallery Shirriff

Send Message
on: June 12, 2003 10:24
Ok Ainulindale, the herbs are a great idea! I'm still not a hundred percent sure about the spices, mainly because i know so little about them. If I find out where they grow i'll include them but after all if they need a hot climate then the shire is supposed to be England or somewhere with a similar climate which means wet, cold and windy! if the spices need briliant sunshine then i'm not sure we can include them but if they don't then it should be fine!

Many spices grow in tropical climates, but it's possible to do some research and get pictures I believe. (I own curry leaf plants)

Eloise was yoru idea to have different gardens according to the locations in ME, or according to the plants grown?
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 13, 2003 01:45
I think the garden with herbs and spices suggested by many would fit well for the Houses of Healing. I imagine it could be similar to the herb gardens of the monasteries common in Europe in the Middle Ages. Those had healing plants as well as spices and just nice-smelling plants like roses. There seems to be a lot of people here already who could do something like this, but if you like the idea I´m willing to help too.

Well we can have plants in more than one location! I wanted to put some herbs in the hobbit garden as it would tie in nicely with pippin's recipe's but I like the idea of having them in the houses of healing. Malinorne any help you can give would be greatly appriciated as many hands make light work! If we can't work some of the spices into the hobbit garden then maybe the houses of healing would be the best place as gondor is further south and therefor warmer.
Ainulindale, when i first came up with the idea it was to do a hobbit and an elvish garden. then someone else (i think it was simbelmyne) came up with the better idea of a garden for each location. My original idea wasn't very thought through so it's lucky i've got so many great people helping. (I keep saying helping- you guys are doing more work than me!:love: )

edited to say- what about the picture of sam in FOTR EE when bilbo's doing his concerning hobbits bit, the one where bilbo says hobbits love things that grow and sam's holding up a plant? could we put that in somewhere? is there a way to get that off a dvd and onto the web legally? (sorry but you might have noticed i don't have a clue about copyrights and technology.) If it is then maybe we could get some other pictures from the dvd like when Aragorn is getting the athelas or of the mallron trees? Is it possible? And if it is would someone be willing to do it because even if someone explained the whole proccess to me i'd probably still end up blowing up my pc.

[Edited on 13/6/2003 by Eloise]
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: June 13, 2003 04:26
Okie dokie, just poking my head in again. Here's me input and notes on some of your suggestions:

what about the picture of sam in FOTR EE when bilbo's doing his concerning hobbits bit, the one where bilbo says hobbits love things that grow and sam's holding up a plant? could we put that in somewhere? ~ Eloise

It's now the symbol for the Gardening section (cheers Riv!)

I think the garden with herbs and spices suggested by many would fit well for the Houses of Healing. I imagine it could be similar to the herb gardens of the monasteries common in Europe in the Middle Ages. Those had healing plants as well as spices and just nice-smelling plants like roses. There seems to be a lot of people here already who could do something like this, but if you like the idea I´m willing to help too. ~ Malinornë

Herbs - I think that there should be a difference in the kind of herbs in Hobbit gardens and in the Houses of Healing gardens. In the Hobbit Gardens there'd be herbs that are used for cooking, and in the Rivendell gardens the herbs that grow there are used for Healing (like the Monasteries, they probably would have had lavender, rosemary etc etc, stuff that has healing properties). However, let's not get too deep into herbs, flowers are most important.

Organisation
In the first post in this thread I'll make a list of the gardens, and who is taking charge of that garden. I'll also make a list of research people, for the people who want to help with research but not a garden.
If you want to lay a claim to a garden - put your name and the garden name in a post here, and I'll update the list. If you want to help with a garden that is already being done by somebody - please ask the person whose name is already by it. If you want to be a researcher, stick your name down and write what you want to research (e.g. plants, spices, herbs, furniture, mentions of gardens in Tolkien's books, "real life" gardens that might be similar to M-e ones etc etc) and I'll put you in the list too. Lay your claims now

[Edited on 13/6/2003 by Tanlaithwen]
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 13, 2003 05:16
Wow it looks great tan! Now we just need the articles. Thanks for organising it, i was having problems keeping track!

If you want to help with the hobbit garden then please could you tell me quickly ( also if you have any ideas for it) as i'm planning on writing it on sunday. This means early morning sunday as very few people here seem to be on GMT and i'll probably write it in the morning anyway. If someone has lots of ideas to be incorperated then i'll delay it but otherwise it's be finished by monday at the latest. The same goes if you want to add pictures. We all ready have Nenyagold's great photos which is probably enough if no one else has any.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email