Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Gardening
on: June 13, 2003 06:23
I have some ideas on herbs for the Hobbit garden, because me and my mom cook all the time and have an herb garden. I am also working on a layout for the gardens, like you would find in a book. I have Mordor half done. Also, I have designed some furniture that looks like that found in Hobbiton; if that would help.

Would it be possible to on the first gardening page list the various locations, then you click one and a list comes up for that place containing the words: furniture, plants, garden plan, etc.; so that when you go to ea. location it's organised and not just all flopped down?
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: June 13, 2003 11:26
My god you guys are fast!! Talk about quick work!
Sure Eowyn_T-B-F; I can do that. Don't forget, when you've written your stuff, send the text to me via PM and the pictures to me at [email protected]
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 13, 2003 07:45
Well eowyn_touched_by_frost lets hear your ideas! I don't have much of a clue about herbs so if you could tell me all aout them i'd be very gratefull. also if you could tell me about the hobbit furniture, and if its as good as your orcature it's sure to be included!
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 13, 2003 08:12
I need to work on the instructions for the hobbit furniture, but it will be styled mostly out of rustic looking logs and then varnished. I have furniture ideas for all the gardens, so I guess I could be the firniture researcher/designer. I could do two things as the Mordor garden was easy.

The hobbit garden herbs? A brief list would be: mints, basils, thyme, rosemary, cilantro, parsely, coriander, dill, fennel, Sweet Marjoram, sage, etc. I can write all the herbs names, uses, needs, etc. out and PM it to you; or I can PM it directly to Tan. Whatever's easiest! If you need anything else Eloise, feel free to PM me and I'll help. BTW, what flowers have you got in mind for the hobbit garden? I know they like pretty ones!

[Edited on 14/6/2003 by Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost]
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 13, 2003 09:09
I'm sorry I haven't posted, I lost a message in a PC crash. We seem to have lost a lot of messages, which is a shame, because I wanted to note down a couple of ideas from peoples' posts.

Flowers and herbs

Herbs - Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost said them all.
Flowers
Petunias, purple wave
Crocus
Iris
Geranium
etc.

Well-cut grass would be good in a hobbit garden.

I'll help out with the following gardens:

Rivendell
Lorien
Grey Havens
Shire
Any other gardens (but preferably not Mordor/Moria)
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 13, 2003 09:39
Lol, I'm not sure where Moria would have a garden! I might work out something for the front gates, or Hollin.
BTW, Simbelmyne: Mordor is done and Ringhilwen has taken the Grey Havens.

I have some more flowers to add to the Shire garden::love:
Pansies
Goldenrod
Lavender (actually an herb, so I'll cover that one
Foxglove?
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 14, 2003 01:13
GONDOR GARDEN
Presumably more than one person can work on a garden though? That certainly seems to be happening with the Shire garden.

Oh, BTW about losing the posts, it's only shown when there's the topic review when your posting.

I'd also like to help with the gardens for Gondor, Rohan, etc. does anyone have any ideas for a model of the white tree? I don't think a real tree in the centre of your garden would be too practical.

Also, is there anyone who can write to PJ or Weta or something and ask about their substitute plants for Simbelmyne, athelas, mallorns, etc.

[Edited on 24/6/2003 by Tanlaithwen]
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 14, 2003 01:44
HOLLIN GARDEN/
MORIA GARDEN/
SILMARILLION/HOBBIT GARDENS(?)

Off course more then one person can work on a garden! I think that apart from Eowyn_t-b-f who did the mordor garden pretty much on her own everyone is helping for each garden and the person whose name is down for it is just the one writing it up. I know thats the case for the shire garden.
About Hollin, I was thinking it could be a sort of nature garden as it's out in the wild with no gardeners and because about what aragorn says about there usually being lots of animals there. I don't think it's too well described in the books (have to check that) but as long as we put lots of holly in it we should be able to get away with just about anything. Eowyn-t-b-f if you had different ideas i'm sorry for butting in.
As for a moria garden it would take a lot of imagination but we might be able to make it work. As moria is underground there wouldn't be too many flowers but maybe we could do a zen garden with neatly place gravel and rocks. Not a very good idea but it's the best i can come up with for moria at the moment.
Also once we've finished doing lotr gardens what about doing some from the hobbit and silmarilion. I can't think of any apart from the two trees in valinor at the moment but i'm sure there are some we can do.

Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: June 14, 2003 04:13
Right, okay! The Mordor Garden page is up and running! Take a look at it, that is how most of the articles will be set out. NenyaGold has given me some fantastic pictures for the Hobbit Garden of Snapdragons, Nasturtiums etc etc, and I'm sure we can use the ones from this page too when we get to putting up the rest of the articles. I've updated the list at the top to include everyone, and showered out some user points for the work in progress and work to come

If somebody could find some pics of plants for the Mordor garden that would be wonderful........ We need pics, I love pics - they brighten my day, not to mention the pages
Remember, send me that stuff! I stuck Garden Plans down on the Contents too; ifwe could get some garden plans at some point, that'd be amazing. And of course, you can always do more than one layout If you're not sure about how to do garden plans I'm sure they have advice in the gardening books.
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 14, 2003 04:46
HOLLIN GARDEN

Wow tan, that was quick. The mordor garden is absolutly fantastic!:love::love::love:
Eowyn-t-b-f if you don't want to do the hollin garden as a nature garden then maybe we could do one along the same lines for the anduin. Just an idea, tell me what you think about doing a nature hollin garden before we decide anything.
Simbelmyne, you seem to have an auwful lot to do. If you need any help for any of the gardens then just say i'd be happy to give you a hand you may have noticed i don't have a clue about gardening but i'll do what i can

NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: June 14, 2003 05:20
Tan ~ Wow! That is extensive on the Mordor *Garden*!:love: I think the last photos will go well in there. heehee

Eloise, I sent Tan 19 photos. Once they are in and you need more, let me know. I can scan some garden books I have and submit them too. I just need to know what to scan. This is fun!:love:
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 14, 2003 09:32
HOLLIN GARDEN/MORDOR GARDEN
Wow! I can't beleive how fast this is going! I have a garden plan for Mordor ready, I just have to get it into the computer. I also have plans for a Mordor harmchair instead of armchair. I have a coulple pictures of that garden to send and then Mordor is done!
I also have a good idea for lamps out there, also

For Hollin, I planned on having rocks, holly and other small bushes, and a few rock flowers. I'll think up some nifty furniture ideas in time. Eloise, your input is welcome here! I think a few herbs like rosemary and sage would be good scattered in the Hollin garden.

NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 14, 2003 09:57
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost ~ My humble apologies! I should have Wowed YOUR work on the Mordor *Garden* (I love that term applied to Mordor...) and wowed Tan for getting it in so soon! Sorry...
And Orcature and Harmchair - Those are GREAT!:love:
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 14, 2003 01:48
Aww, I don't mind Nenya! Yes, *garden* is a funny word when applied to anything Mordor! I kindof thought all the Mordor stuff was a joke, really. Somebody may want a garden like that, though!
(Don't forget the other orcature- "Hateseat" instead of loveseat and "Harmchair instead of armchair. Lol, I got a kick out of those two!)

Could I reserch the herbs, also? I have a good idea of what gardens need what herbs.
Also, I'd like to do a Falls of Rauros garden for a riverside area; and a Dead Marshes garden for a marshland area. Is that allright?

[Edited on 14/6/2003 by Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost]
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 14, 2003 08:05
I can't believe I din't think of this one. What about an Ithilien Garden? Duh- after all it is the gardens of gondor. I'd be happy to do this one, got lot's of ideas for the window on the west waterfall. Could be a bit similar to the rauros garden but once eowyn-t-b-f has done that one then i'll have a look at it and try to make the ithilien one as different as possible
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 14, 2003 08:32
Eloise, can I help w/ the Ithilien garden? And you can help w/ the Rauros garden if you want. It'll need a few flowers, which I'm not good at picking out.

Oh yeah; can I help w/ the Lothlorien garden, Sim? I have some good replacements for Elanor and Mallorn + some other Lorienish stuff.

[Edited on 15/6/2003 by Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost]
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 14, 2003 09:54
That's fine, E_T-B-F, I need all the help I can get.

I'd like to help with Ithilien garden too.
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 15, 2003 12:40
Everyone can help with the ithelian garden! Eowyn-t-b-f if it's ok with you then i'll help with the rauros garden. I just finished the hobbiton garden and pmed it to tan so hopefully it will be up soon.

I might not be on for a while as im busy most of this week with school and on tuesday i'm going to see the play version of the hobbit *jumps up and down excitedly* then at the weekend i'm going camping:love: so if you don't see me around don't be surprised. If i can grab a moment then i'll get on and see how your doing and try to contribute but if i don't post that's why.

[Edited on 15/6/2003 by Eloise]
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: June 15, 2003 05:50
Grey Havens is coming along well - everything is finally starting to bloom here, so I can finally get some decent pictures of some of the greatest beach gardens.

I've finished a whole section on the Rigosa Rose - which is one of the best seaside plants, and when it's done blooming, the bloom can be used to make an herbal tea - which seems like it would fit in well with the elves.

Also, since there's a lot of stone and sand along coasts, I've gotten some pictures of stone furniture, intermingled with delicate-looking woodpieces - from my own garden and from others around my town.
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: June 16, 2003 04:17
Wow, thank you so much guys! Eloise - I've got your stuff, thank you for it, it'll be up by the weekend. Ring - that sounds fantastic, thank you SO SO much for doing this for us

If you send me anything now I'm afraid it won't be up until the weekend - being a mere schoolgirl, coursework does take over the life a little (Eloise, I should imagine that you know what I mean about GCSEs! ). See you guys later, keep it comin'!
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 16, 2003 11:22
Wow! I can't believe how well the section is going! A few weeks ago it was just a suggestion, and already there is so much happening! I'm not sure if I'll be much help, because my gardening knowledge is pretty much: water plants... But I'm here offering moral support! And if you need more volunteers, I'm more than happy to help in any way I can, just p-m me! Keep up the good work - everything looks awesome so far!
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 17, 2003 03:57
ITHILIEN GARDEN/
(OLIPHAUNT GARDEN?)

(Eloise, I should imagine that you know what I mean about GCSEs! ).

highers actually tan! And i know what you mean- TONNES of homework. I've only been doing them for two days and i'm already swamped. So any ideas for the ithelien garden yet? the only thing that i can think of is a waterfall although this could be too similar to the rauros garden. We're going to have to try to make them as different as possible. Maybe we could use plants from a warmer climate for ithelien? Coming from rainy scotland i don't know alot about them but it would be one way to make a difference.
Also what about doing a garden specifically for those who live in hot climates? can't remember the name of the place in lotr at the moment think it was harad or something. Anyway what about doing a garden for the place where oliphants come from. We have quite a lot on our plates at the moment but maybe if we could get someone who lives in a hot country to do it?

drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 17, 2003 09:40
Hi everyone! I've just taken up the role of creating the Moria Garden! This is going to be a bit of a challenge, so I'd appreciate ideas, suggestions, sites with helpful information, or anything like that. If anyone else wants to help me work on it, I'd be happy to have you! So if you've got any suggestions or helpful sites, either post here or p-m me!
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 18, 2003 07:37
Eloise, can I see what you have on the hobbit garden? I'm taking a stab at writing some stuff up along with some 3D Garden Design Screenshots.

When it's written, maybe we can edit the two bits into one article.

Thanks,

~*~Simbelmyne~*~
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 19, 2003 04:03
ITHILIEN GARDEN

I did the herbs and I;m halfway done on the furniture for the Shire garden.

For Ithilien? gosh, I haven't worked on it yet, being so busy with the dead marshes, finishing up mordor and all.
I was thinking of plants with white flowers. That just seems nessicary for some reason. I thought of some vines and maybe a few bushes.

Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 19, 2003 04:17
Ok i'm getting confused:dizzy: there are too many garden's going on at once. Is there anyway that we could organise it so that all the gardens are seperate without starting 50 different threads?:dizzy:

CONCERNING HOBBITS or the hobbiton garden at least- i have pmed what work i have done and E_T_B_F's herbs to tan if there was something you were going to send to me so i could edit it in then i'm really sorry but i thought i'd been given everything. also it was the last chance i was going to get as i only get on for a short time on weekdays and i can't get on atall this weekend:cry: If ther's something that you desperatly want added then it might be best to pm it to tan and tell her when i can find the time i'll get down on my hands and knees and beg forgiveness.

We really need to work on organising the gardens. I'd suggest pming your suggestions to who your working on the garden with but you might forget someone or someone who isn't officailly doing the garden might have a suggestion. Is there any possible way that we could have somewhere specail to post ideas for a certain garden? Short of posting in the journals and reading everyones journal everyday (which seems like alot of work) i can't think of anything. If your good at multitasking it might be ok to have more then one garden being discussed at once but i have problems even concentrating on one thing!
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: June 20, 2003 04:06
As for people writing different things about the same garden, don't worry about that, just PM it all to me separately, and I'll work it all in - don't hassle yourselves, you have more important green-fingered things to worry about.

As for how now to get this thread cluttered up, there are only a few ways of doing it that I can see. Either:
a) Take it to PM
b) Take it to the journals or
c) (My personal favourite ) At the top of each message, in capital letters, write the name of the garden your post is about. If your post isn't about a specific garden, don't write a title. That way you can scan down the messages and see which ones apply to you. If you like I can edit all the messages in this section so that they all have a title on. That way you can all see which messages you need to look at.
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 20, 2003 06:06
MORIA GARDEN

Okay, I've been doing a bit of research, and I've got a few ideas so far so I thought I'd try to get some feedback on them.

For plants, seeing as there weren't exactly a great deal of plants in Moria, I've tossed and turned over this. But I figured that just to keep the Moria feel of the garden, plants which are dark blue, black or grey would be appropriate.

For general decorations, I am thinking either a pergola of some sort, or if you can't get one of those up, just some large trees (Hollin trees would be very fitting). And if you have a fence gate, or a door which you would be willing to paint, you could have a go at painting the Doors of Durin design on it!

So these are some general ideas so far, I'm also thinking of perhaps a concrete bench with some sort of Dwarvish runes on it?

Good? Bad? I need feedback!

Also, in a week, I'm going away for four weeks, so I'm afraid the Moria Garden won't be ready for a while yet, because I won't be able to do anything during those four weeks. I'll try and get as much done as I can before I go!
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 20, 2003 08:26
MORIA
Wow, drunken_elf, that sounds great!

ITHILIEN
OK, what have we got on the Ithilien garden?

RIVENDELL

I'm thinking a theme of roses in reds and whites, and then maybe lilies and stuff. A white bench, maybe with runes painted on.

LOTHLORIEN

Mallorns - Tulip Poplar Tree (Thanks to E_T-B-F for that)
Elanor - Arnica (see last posts)

More later.
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 21, 2003 02:11
LOTHLORIEN CONTINUED

About the treehouse idea...how easy would that be to do? Obviously it requires people to have a strong enough tree to build it, and the cost won't be very cheap either. Design ideas for the mirror, Galadriel's glade, a celebrant-style stream and even some sort of arbour (sp?) or centerpiece.

GREY HAVENS

Sounds like you've been working very hard on the Grey havens garden, Ringhilwen. How about we do two seperate designs: one for a beach garden and one for a garden where a beach-style garden is not possible. Let me know what you think.

GONDORIAN GARDEN

Does anyone know much about herbs and plants commonly used in healing? I'm thinking of making a Houses of Healing style garden, with a White tree centerpiece (though I'm not sure about materials and I don't think a lot of people would want to grow a tree specially.)

ROHAN GARDEN

I've been sent a great simbelmyne by drunken_elf, and I'm thinking a garden with a theme of crops and herbs at the back, and then "simbelmyne" planted all round the garden, with maybe a wooden shed at the back in the style of a small Rohan home.

FALLS OF RAUROS

I'd be interested in helping with the Falls of Rauros. My ideas are green water plants and a pond with a waterfall-style water feature.

What do you think of the ideas?

~*~Simbelmyne~*~
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 21, 2003 02:16
Simbelmyne ~ For Rivendell, I have photos of red & white, pink-edged white and golden roses (there is an e-card under Anniversaries of a pink-edged white rose, one in CoE Staff Appreciation of red & white and one in Weddings of golden if you want to look at them).

Do you mean Calla lilies (also known as Easter lilies) or water lilies? I have photos of calla lilies that are yellow, white (lots), pink and pink-edged white and one water lily that is pink and white. Let me know if you can use any of these. :love:
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 21, 2003 05:13
Those photos sound great, NenyaGold. Can you put them in a journal or something? I'd really like to see them.
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 21, 2003 09:15
For Rivendell, I'd like to encorporate a lot of golds. I have an idea for making a garden like around the bridge from the movie. I even have a bench design made!

Ithilien? nothing yet. Working on it though!

Lothlorien: I have designs half baked for the Mirror, and all the other stuff. I have some good ideas for plants, I just have to find my information.

Oh, does anyone mind if I do Houses of Healing? I have it mostly planned.
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 22, 2003 01:48
HOUSES OF HEALING

A separate garden for the Houses of Healing is a good idea, E_T-B-F. I was originally going to try and incorporate into the Gondor garden, but a separate garden would be great! I'd like to help with that.

RIVENDELL AND THE BRIDGE

I like the idea about golds too. I wasn't originally going to use them, but thinking about it, they could work quite well. It would be good if you could give me a hand with the garden. The Bridge garden idea sounds good. What sort of flowers would it be?

WILDERLAND GARDEN

For those who read the Hobbit, there was a mention as they came out of the mountains of a path, something like:

"He ate three wild strawberries...etc."

Maybe a garden in this style would be interesting. It would look just right in the Autumn, and in Summer, I think it would be quite nice too.
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 22, 2003 05:23
Ok i'm back! Did you miss me?

GONDORIAN GARDEN.
I know i'm not technically helping with this one, but if you can't find a plant to subsitute for the white tree, how about a metal sculpture painted white? I know nothing about scultptures so i don't know how practical this is. Maybe we could get someone to make some then send them to people who want them( for a small fee of course) Kinda like what E_T_B_F said earlier about birdbaths for lothlorien and how she'd made one

ITHELIN GARDEN
Ok i thought about maybe having a big slate waterfall. If any of you have been to the edinburgh royal botanical gardens then they have one in the rock garden. It might not be practical to have a cave behind it but a big waterfall would be nice( the only reason i said slate was because thats what they had at the botanics) Then if we have a large pool and with stepping stones that look like the ones gollum sat on to catch the fish. waterlillies could be used but i heard they don't like running water even though the ones in my garden are fine. We could also have fish, not goldfish as it would look silly but maybe a darker type.

WILDERLAND GARDEN
this would be much better as a nature garden than hollin! We could have things like heather and long grass with flowers like clover and buttercups growing wild. we could also have wildflowers and maybe a nature pond to encourage animals into the garden.

Sorry if you had ideas already sim, i seem to be taking over a bit. if you don't like my ideas( and this applies to any garden) then just say and you don't need to use them. I won't feel offended. Honest.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email