Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
HobbitFriend
Maps student, site patron and supporter
Send Message
Post RE: Gardening
on: July 28, 2003 05:55
Here 'lil greenthumb'ed ones, some more tip sites for ya!

http://www.vg.com/gardening/default.asp

http://www.organicgardentips.com/

Hope you find them useful!
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 01, 2003 01:07
Ahoy! I've returned and I just wanted to give a big thumbs up for all the work that happened over the past month - it all looks fantastic! It looks like you've all been working very hard - still are in fact! So keep up the great work! I've been putting in a bit more work towards the Moria Garden since I got back, but of course I haven't been able to do much for the past month. I'm hoping to have it finished sometime soon though! Thanks for all the great gardens so far
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: August 03, 2003 02:28
Ok, I got lots of tips from HobbitFreind's websites, now I just need to organise them a bit better and put them in my own words. If anyone has any tips could they please give them to me quickly as I'll be pming the article to Tan in the next week or so.
HobbitFriend
Send Message
on: August 04, 2003 04:03
Oh!

I helped!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Hurray!

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: August 05, 2003 05:12
I know this is off topic, but I thought you might like to see it. Someone has done ahobbit garden!

back on topic, I've done about a quarter of the tips and it's pretty long so far. HobbitFriend can't be the only one with tips, please pm me with them or post the here.:love:
HobbitFriend
Send Message
on: August 05, 2003 03:40
What a wonderful link to a wonderful garden, and I just love the carving of Gandalf! Many thanks Lady E! :heart:
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 05, 2003 11:15
That is a great garden! And it actually reminded me of something I saw while I was off on holidays. It was basically a hobbit hole! I'll post a picture of it in my journal today .
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: August 08, 2003 02:46
I pmed the tips to Tan! Just thought you all should know that.
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: August 22, 2003 10:43
Ok, not much work seems to be getting done here. I was just wondering, what state the Ithelin garden was in. Frosty, you said you were typing it up, right? Hows that coming along? And Drunken_elf, Do you need any help with the Moria garden or are you doing ok?
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: August 23, 2003 02:28
Hey you guys, I just went in and checked the gardening section and it looks great!
If I'm not being too pushy I'm going to recommend this site to anyone who is interested in purchasing/starting seeds:
http://www.gardenguides.com/
They carry the "Botanical Interests" line of seeds, which some of you may be familiar with. I like them simply because if you cut open the packet it is cram-packed with tips on that particular plant that many packets don't have. I have learned many things about starting seeds from them!
Someone mentioned a seaside sort of garden...last time I was at the beach I noticed that Queen Anne's Lace (which many people regard as a weed but I think it quite beautiful) seems to love the sand. The only thing you have to worry about is keeping it from becoming invasive but that is easily done by clipping the flowers when they start becoming seed heads.
Well good luck with the rest of those gardens
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: August 23, 2003 02:38
Aowyn you're not being at all pushy, in fact you just gave me a great (well ok, not great but anyway) idea! On the tips page, theres a link to the site that I got a lot of tips from that Hobbitfriend gave me. At the end of the tips section, could we have a links page with Aowyns link and all the ones Hobbitfriend gave me? We could search out some other good ones too. We might have to wait 'till Tan gets back, or pm Scothia to see what she thinks but it's better than just having links here where hardly anyone checks! What do you think?
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: August 28, 2003 08:34
Um, ok, I know I'm being pushy and impatiant but no-one's posted here apart from Aowyn and me for ages. I know Sim's off on holiday so she at least has an excuse. Where are the rest of you? Are you just ignoring me, been really busy or lost interest? If' it's the first one, I'm obviously going to get no replies but if it's the last one I'd like to know so I can go pester other people to help. We've done a lot and it seems a shame to stop now
Sorry for saying that. I know I have no right to slavedrive or anything but I'm just wondering of you're all still interested.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: August 28, 2003 10:23
Eloise ~ I know that Tan is/was on vacation but I sent her a whole horde (heehee ) of photos of Orcature (taken at this fantastic nursery in Lake Tahoe) and still have some vegie garden photos of corn, tomatoes (Hobbit-size cherry tomatoes), beans and sunflowers to send to her but I don't want to overwhelm her. So I'm still on the project for sure! :love:

P.S. Let me know if you want to see any of the photos and I'll e-mail them to you.
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: September 02, 2003 08:46
Ok, I've pmed Drunken_Elf, Frosty and Sim to see if they're still interested. I'm kinda hoping they've just forgotten to check this thread, I really don't want to have to try and find more people to help
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: September 16, 2003 12:00
Ok, I got replies from everyone saying they were still interested and would post here soon. This thread was about to go off the page, so I'm guessing you all forgot agian. So, lets get back to work.

What ideas does everyone have for the ithelin garden?
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 16, 2003 05:53
ITHILIEN

I'm thinking a pond with lilies and water plants, maybe a bit of a wildlife garden. Also, a water feature would be cool, maybe waterfall-style.

Just a couple of ideas,

Simbelmyne
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: September 16, 2003 06:00
ITHILIEN

Yes! *dances round happily* finaly someone else posting
Ok, I think frosty had lots of stuff on ithelin. I was kind of hoping she hadn't done anything for the waterfal yet, I had a few ideas for that that I'd like to research more.
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 20, 2003 10:10
I've been working on it back and forth but I've been killer busy and last week was a disaster... aaaanyways, I'll start back up again ASAP... just as soon as everything is settled back down from the hurricane.

ITHILIEN:
I did work on the pond and the fish, along with NenyaGold, but I haven't done any thing about the waterfall. You guys have fun with that!
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: September 21, 2003 04:26
ETBF and I worked on the pond and fish. If I need to resend the photos Tan, let me know. In the meantime, here is a waterfall that might work for Ithilien. Let me know what you think.

There are still lots of photos waiting to be input into the project but I know Tan has been busy.
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: September 26, 2003 03:46
Ok, first of all, Neniethel (sorry if thats wrong, I can't do elvish) sent me this. Can we use it? maybe in the houses of healing?
Herbal Teas.

Hawthorn, heart tonic, both blossom and berry,
Eases the mind and inclines it to sleep.
Fennel, a friend to all those who make merry,
Calms the digestion and so earns its keep.

Hops and valerian, cloak them with honey,
Make for a sleeping draught bitter but strong.
Sweet elder blossom, a flavour so sunny
Eases the colds of a winter too long.

Raspberry leaf makes a good woman's tonic.
Keep it away from the woman with child!
Peace for the nerves, the insomniac's tonic,
Good linden blossom with flavour so mild.

Cowslip, a cheering, relaxing infusion.
Nettle, a tonic, protector of health.
Rosemary clears the tired mind of confusion,
Conquers a migraine by force and not stealth.

Mint eases heartburn, makes hunger less nagging,
Drives away nausea, wakes up the mind.
Lemon verbena lifts heads that are sagging,
Fights melancholy that strikes at mankind.

Lemon balm, sweetest when gathered directly,
Loses the flavour a little when dried.
Soothes the frayed nerves, makes them function correctly,
Bringer of glad repose, best I have tried.

Alos, Drunken_elf, did you send the Moria garden to tan yet?
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 26, 2003 05:45
RIVENDELL

I have been working on the Rivendell Garden and am almost finished. Just thought I'd let everyone know
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: September 26, 2003 11:33
Huy guys - sorry about this, I'm just catching up with the backlog of work I have today
As for photos, Nenya, I didn't get those Orcature ones. My coe.com addy isn't working, so if you could send all pictures to:
[email protected] I will be sure to get them. Thanks!
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 27, 2003 03:21
OK, I have the article finished. It's in HTML format, mainly because that was best for aligning the pics. I shall put it as an attachment on the email message and quite a lot of pics go with it (BTW, it's best shown in all one page rather than four or five)

Thanks,

Simbelmyne
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 28, 2003 01:55
Good news! The Moria Garden is finally finished I think! It took a while...but hopefully it's up to your standards!:blush: It's not as long as the Hobbiton Garden, I hope that's ok! And there is no garden plan, for now at least. I'll be pm-ing the text to Tan I guess in the next little while...and hopefully I'll get the pictures sent in the near future too ..Hope it's all okay! And it's good to hear the other gardens going well too! Maybe if I have a bit of time later on I can help with another one!
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: October 06, 2003 06:21
Rivendell Garden UP!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email