Register

Author Topic:
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Gardening
on: June 22, 2003 07:02
WILDERLAND GARDEN

Coincidentally, Hollin would probably only have been the other side of the mountains from...the other side of the mountains. I love your ideas on this, and I don't care what's in it as long as it fits and we can have wild strawberries.
I'm not sure about wildlife because I don't know much about what would have inhabited it in those times. Most animals such as squirrels and hedgehogs would be attracted to many gardens anyway. But birdfeeders and stuff wouldn't be a bad idea, and I'm not sure about the water supply around there. After all, it's barely even classed as a location.

ITHILIEN

Yeah, sounds like what I had in mind. I tried designing something on the garden designer, but it came out too fuzzy.

GONDORIAN GARDEN

Mmm, I was thinking a sculpture, but most people would have to hire someone to do it. As for getting someone to make them, the main problem is peoples' willingness to give out their address, and can you imagine the size and weight of a metal sculpture? You'd need about twenty hobbits to lift it!

Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 22, 2003 07:49
RIVENDELL GARDEN

Now I've got the wonderful pics from NenyaGold, I'm ready to start writing up the Rivendell garden! The plants so far are:

Calla Lilies
White and Red roses
Possibly Snowdrops
Birch Trees
etc.
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 22, 2003 04:10
OK, if you haven't yet, count me in on the Ithilien garden. I have a lot of experience with fish, and I can reccomend a good type for Ithilien, but I need to think about the conditions for that climate.

I'll help on Rivendell, also. I don't remember the names of the plants I thought of, but I'll look it up. I'll write an article on the bridge section, also.

I know some good wild things to put in the wilderland garden. It has to have thistle, also. And wildflowers would be nice.
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 23, 2003 03:37
ITHELIN GArden
we can have all the strawberries you llike

GONDORIAN GARDEN
what about making the sculpture from a light metal like alluminum and it could be hollow. As for the adress thing that could be a problem but if we got the person making it to send it to a PO box (can you put parcels in them?) then sent on to the p[erson who wants them. they would have to trust coe not to give out their adress but it might work better.
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 23, 2003 05:29
WILDERLAND

Yup, thistles sound good. What wild flowers do you have in mind?

Another reference was to sorrel. Maybe we can incorporate that too.

ITHILIEN

Are raw fish tasty?

ALTERNATIVE IDEAS FOR RAUROS

My other ideas for Rauros are to have a water feature at the end of the garden, with a circular bench with Amon Hen mountain-style head. Then water plants and whatever around the edges.

Sound good?

~*~Simbelmyne~*~

[Edited on 23/6/2003 by Simbelmyne]
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: June 23, 2003 05:56
*Are raw fish tasty? *

Have you ever had sushi? It is deliciousssssssss! :love:
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 23, 2003 06:48
ITHILIEN

Yesssssssssssss, delicioussssssssss, precioussssssssssss.

GONDOR

Any ideas for the Gondor garden? I've got ideas about the White Tree, but not much else. Any ideas?
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 23, 2003 04:12
Yuck, raw fish are gross. I'm thinking more like a black type of Koi or something like that. Just onamental, not for eatings.

GONDORIAN GARDEN:
OK, I think we can have two.
Houses of Healing and Minas Tirith

I would also like to do a Trollshaw garden, the best place to incorporate the Aethelas.
I'm going to get my book out and look at some place locations. Maybe I'll think of more. Lol, like we don't have enough on our plates allready.:heart:
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 24, 2003 04:09
TROLLSHAW

Me like a lot.

ITHILIEN

Fair enough. I don't think many people would be keen on a pond full of "ready-to-eat" fish. Except Gollum.

GONDOR

Yep, two gardens it is.
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: June 24, 2003 06:08
Okies, as from now, could you please send all pictures to:
[email protected] (notice no capital letter in "tanlaithwen" and a ".com" ) If you've sent any to my other addy, I will still get them, but I think that this new one will hold more pics, so they shouldn't bounce back at you (NenyaGold, I know you will be thrilled!).

Currently I am in the middle of some Chemistry Coursework (EVIL!!!), but once I've finished that I will come right back here to label the posts, and add some stuff to LHH. At the moment, I have collated all your written efforts, I just have to insert the pics. Then it will be up. You're doing a fantastic job guys, just make sure you don't take on too much (This is the fastest anything has ever happened in TLHH, I'm finding it quite hard to keep up!!)
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 24, 2003 06:57
aarrrgghh - i think ive created a monster. i think we need more help. at the moment i've been too busy reading harry potter to come up with any good ideas but the amount of gardens we are doing at the moment is waay to much. the hollin garden seems to have been completly forgotten about, whether this is because we have to many ideas for other gardens or not i don't know. the organisation system is working great, i'm a lot less confused but i think that we might need one or two more helpers. either that or concentrate more on one garden first because i don't know about you but i feel that i'm trying to do too much. could we either try to recruit more people or concentrate more on one or two gardens at a time.

ok rant finished
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: June 24, 2003 07:50
My personal opinion is that you should put your ideas for new gardens on hold right now, and just concentrate on one or two. Maybe even just one, seeing as most of you are involved with most of them!! Which garden(s) do you have the most planned out for already? It would be sensible to start with the one that is nearest to completion or has the most ideas for it.

Right, am going to label posts now, you should be able to see what ideas everybody in the past has had within about 20 minutes
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 24, 2003 07:53
Sim ~ I have a couple of photos of koi in a pond in, of all places, a sushi restaurant...:love: NO, they aren't the ones that end up on the sushi boats!

Tan ~ Thanks! As soon as the others decide, I'll have some photos to upload.

Eloise ~ There is no rush. It isn't like CoE is going anywhere. Take your time and we'll do a better job. And, as Tan said, this is coming along quite quickly and very well IMO.

All ~ I have thousands of photos that I am willing to share. Just let me know what you want. I have flowers in all types, sizes and colors, landscapes, animals: squirrels, deer, wolves, butterflies (what's a garden without a few butterflies?), cats (lol), birds, etc. If I don't have it, I can go out and photograph it. Just let me know! :love:
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 24, 2003 09:32
NenyaGold, would you happen to have a photo of a Tulip Poplar tree? I have looked all over the web for one, but they are all copyrighted. That is what I wanted to be the Mallorn replacement.

And as to the gardens, I'd like to tackle Ithilien first. Currently I'm doing a bit to finish up the Dead Marshes and adding some important details to my orcature, but scince there's 3 people on Ithilien I think we should all start there. I'll, as usual, be doing the herbs; and I will write a short article on a fish pond and a waterfall, with nice lighting. That can go in a 'decorations' or 'ornaments' section.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 24, 2003 10:35
E_T-B-F ~ Funny you should ask... I have a photo of a tulip tree in my neighborhood shaped like a tulip... and several tulip photos. I just put them in a journal that is currently private. Let me know when you want to look at it and I will make it public. :love:
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
on: June 25, 2003 02:41
I just came across some words by Tolkien regarding flowers and thought you might be interested:

"...niphredil would be simply a delicate kin of a snowdrop; and elanor a pimpernel (perphaps a little enlarged) growing sun-golden flowers and star-silver ones on the same plant, and sometimes the two combined. Alfirin("immortal") would be an immortelle, but not dry and papery: simply a beautiful bell-like flower, running through many colours, but soft and gente....."

(From Letters, p. 402)
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 25, 2003 03:33
Sorry about my last post, i was panicing a bit!:blush:

ITHELIN GARDEN
ok if we do this one first? If you've got ideas for another garden that you think you might forget then still post them- we'll just concentrate on ithelin.
What sort of water plants do we want in the garden? we already have tons of ideas for fish but i think it would be nice to have a couple of plants in there too. Any ideas?
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 25, 2003 05:19
LOTHLORIEN: NIPHREDIL AND ELANOR

Thanks for the quote Malinorne! Makes it a lot easier knowing what we're looking for.

ITHILIEN

OK, my ideas:

a pond, with waterfall-style water feature at one end
water lilies
Reeds etc.
Some large stones that would show just above water: the perfect place for a mini-gollum
Koi (Can someone research the conditions for them or something?)
OK, all my ideas for now...
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 25, 2003 07:28
ITHILIEN:
Yup, I'll research the fish. It's half done now.
I think we need to pick someone to be in charge of this garden. It's too confusing to have people doing this and people doing that with no one working on the main article. Then at the end that person can put it all together (giving credit to all helpers) and send it to Tan. Anyone agree?

LOTHLORIEN:
How about Lilly of the Valley for Niphrodel? It has a nice scent, also. I have no clue on Elanor, or Alfirin; so somebody else better tackle that one. Just leave the Mirror to me!
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 28, 2003 08:07
Okay well as of tomorrow I'll be off for a month, so don't expect the Moria Garden during that time. But hopefully I should be able to get it finished sometime soon after I get back. In the meantime, keep up the good work everyone!
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: June 28, 2003 09:10
Okay, the text of the Hobbit Garden is up. I'm having some problems with the pictures at the moment, but please bear with me, they will be up soon. Oh, and by the way, does anyone have any plants for the vegetable garden? Or info for the party garden? We have some pics for both of those, but no text. All Sam's Garden needs is furniture, and those damn pics! (They're pis*ing me off at the moment)
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: June 28, 2003 09:25
Sorry for not posting- my stupid 'puter wouldn't let me log in

The text is great it's annoying me not having anything for the other parts of the garden. Maybe we should concentrate on that as well as ithelin?

ITHELIN
we have plently water plants and things to do with the waterfall but i think we might need more normal plants that grow on dry land. I'd be happy to research some of these plants for this garden if someone could give me a clue as to what sort of plants would grow there.
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 28, 2003 10:38
Tan, I sent you some text for three instances of hobbit garden by PM a while back, including veg garden and the party garden, as well as a Bag End.

ITHILIEN

Things like stones or something, rock plants, whatever.
Ainulindale
Last Homely Housekeeper
& Gallery Shirriff

Send Message
on: June 28, 2003 10:57
There's a beautiful picture of Ithilien by Ted Nasmith in the gallery, you could take a look at it for ideas.
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: June 30, 2003 03:59
I must have forgotten about that Simbelmyne, sorry! I'll have a poke round for it now.....
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: July 01, 2003 02:53

GREY HAVENS

Sounds like you've been working very hard on the Grey havens garden, Ringhilwen. How about we do two seperate designs: one for a beach garden and one for a garden where a beach-style garden is not possible. Let me know what you think.

I don't know about the whole two garden idea. It's a little hard to to a beach-style garden, as in, there are no real plants besides seagrass and rigosa roses that grow in sand. Right now, I'm thinking more plants that can grow in coastal weather (or may give the feel that you're more coastal), and might look good amongst stone (very prevalent at coasts). I'm also doing a lot with garden accessories, I guess you could call them, stuff like ornamental sprinklers and furniture which mixes well with stone and sea-weathered wooden furniture. What were you thinking of?
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 02, 2003 03:28
GREY HAVENS

I was thinking a decking path, plants like sea holly, maybe a water feature, wooden bench, maybe a pond or something. Possibly sea lavender and stuff.

~*~Simbelmyne~*~

Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: July 02, 2003 08:29
GREY HAVENS

I was thinking a decking path, plants like sea holly, maybe a water feature, wooden bench, maybe a pond or something. Possibly sea lavender and stuff.

~*~Simbelmyne~*~

I think I pretty much have all that already. The plants I'm going for, besides those that are specifically coastal, are hearty plants, yet graceful and beautiful that can withstand the wind almost always present at the coast.
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 03, 2003 05:41
ITHILIEN:
Ok, I have a lot of experience with animals, and I have unnessicary information on ponds/fountains considering I don't have one. The fish and the Forbidden Pool are almost finished, I just need to type up some ideas for the pond and some water plants.
Yeah, if anyone has an idea for Ithilien plants, PM me or email me at my CoE address, [email protected]

LORIEN:
The new Mallorn tree is going to be a Bradford Pear; but that's I think only common in America, so I'll find an overseas version. All this complicity is making me :dizzy:
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: July 26, 2003 11:14
I just took some photos of the following items for the Hobbit Vegetable Garden:

A Nice Sized Garden to see what you can do in a relatively small area
Squash
Squash Blossom
Tomato Plants (sorry, no tomatoes yet)
Corn Stalks (what's a Hobbit Garden without corn?)
Chard
Lucious Strawberries (I had a hard time not picking one...)

If you are interested in looking at the photos, let me know.:love:
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: July 27, 2003 12:10
Apologies about the lack of pictures etc guys, the Gardening section will be sorted out soon, I promise.
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: July 28, 2003 05:41
Hoorah! Strike that last message - not having as many problems with pics now, so if you look in the Hobbiton Garden you will see everything nicely arranged as before. I will be creating another few pages in there soon to accomodate more of NenyaGold's lovely pictures. Don't forget to check back

And please do send me more of your Garden Designs - you all had so many great ideas, it's a pity to see them left here unattended to.
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: July 28, 2003 05:55
Go Tan! It looks great, we really need to fill in all the bits that say coming soon.
I had another idea! *everyone runs and hides* What about doing a general garden tips like soil tipes and how to stop your lovely clear ithelin pool going green? If you think its a good idea then everyone can PM the tips to me and I'll write it up. It doesn't have to be a lot, just little things. Stupid Idea huh?:love:
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: July 28, 2003 06:27
Tan ~ The Hobbit Garden looks GREAT! Glad the photos are finally working. I'll submit some of my vegie garden photos now that I see the list of what is being included.

Eloise ~ That is a GREAT idea! Unfortunately I don't have any tips...
HobbitFriend
Maps student, site patron and supporter
Send Message
on: July 28, 2003 04:42
Tips? Try www.seedsofchange.com for tips. I think you will like this site! Also, www.gardens-alive.com, they are pretty good, too!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email