Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
AragornSoSpunky
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Archers of the Silver Moon (Keep)
on: October 01, 2002 07:16
*** She looks around to see how Natika is doing on her bow... ***

'Tika, that looks nice, too. You do good work... is that going to be a hart hoofprint design?

**Natika looks back from her bow and smiles**

Yes that is what I'm trying to do. though I am not very keen on how it has turned out... Actully yes I am

**she giggles**

Natika
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 02, 2002 11:34
**To Elerinna**

"The runes will be Elven of course they will be the words of a spell wich will give the bow a magical property and if you like an ability of its own. More will be revealed after the bow has been shaped, as you can see at the moment they look like fancy quaterstaffs."
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: October 02, 2002 12:02
*** Elerrina nods to Elruwen... ***

Oh, of course! *she laughs* And they do just look like fancy staffs, don't they?

Why... thank you, Kyran... please let me pay you for it, tho... or pay you back when I can get some for myself.

*** She takes the leaf and studies it... turning it gently in her hands and getting a faraway, dreamy look in her eyes.. seeing the bow in her mind. Finally, she sighs... ***

Gold is so soft, it needs to be in a protected area... so I think just the length of my hand down from where the string is nocked....

***...and she lightly places it on the spot, curling the lobes of the leaf over the laminated wood from the inside to the outside, then using a very fine series of brads to attach it.***
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 03, 2002 10:27
**Elruwen lays her bow over what looks like to poles on a stand and ties heavy weights at either end, she then begins to shape the bow into a curved shape.**
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: October 03, 2002 10:59
I think mine is about dry, too, Elruwin... I'll use the stand next to yours, if you'd check that I do it right...

*** Elerrina carefully centers her bow-to-be on the stands and ties the weights on as she saw Elruwen doing... ***

Is that right? How long does it usually have to sit for? And does it use a compound curvature?

[Edited on 10/3/2002 by Elerrina]
elvenqueen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2002 04:53
*Seeing that she is way behind in this process, Sarie begins carefully yet quickly sripping the bark off her yew bough. Finishing, she looks up at Elruwen.*

How is this? What should I do next?
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 04, 2002 12:04
**To Sarie**
"The bow is fine now if you cut the bough in to equal halves and then plane of a strip of willow of that branch, and sandwich in between the yew bind it and leav it to dry."

*To Elerinna*
"Yes that is right, and it sits like that while you plane the bow into shape, you always plain the bow from the back and the fattest part of the bow is where you grip it the narrowest part is at the tips."

**begins to plane away the wood to form the curvature in her bow, with expert presicion.**
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: October 04, 2002 02:00
Oh, yes... I use that technique in wood carving, too... I always cut with the grain for a smooth finish, otherwise the wood burrs up and splinters.

*** Elerrina carefully begins working from the center of the bow going out, taking off a little bit at each smooth cut, watching the proportions of Elruwen's bow as she works on her own... partially finished, she has Elruwen check her technique and form...***
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 05, 2002 05:34
"You have an excellent technique Elerinna. Just one quiry, are you sure you want your bow to be at that strength, judging by the thickness you have left it i recon it to have a draw of 170 lbs even my cousin Legolas and I would have problems drawing that back once it was strung."
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 08, 2002 07:05
**Elruwen pulls out some of her long hair and takes a few strings of etter-cap silk from a small black pouch on her belt, she begins to reave the hair and silk into a bowstring.**
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: October 08, 2002 09:43
Hmmm... you may be right. I'm strong, but I don't want it to be all that hard to draw. I'll take it down a bit more...

Do you have more of the silk, Elruwen? Also... *she laughs* my hair is not as long as yours... and it's quite wavy. Would one of you longer-haired Elves help me out with a few strands?

Natika...? Kyran...? Please....

What other materials make good bowstrings, Elruwen? Just in case any of us need an emergency string...
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 09, 2002 11:48
**hands Elerrina the small bag**

"Here help yourself to some of the strands, and as for hair have some of mine, its long enough."

**pulls a small bunch of her hair out and hands it to Elerrina**

"As for other other materials to make bowstrings, ivy stems, you sparate the stem into long threads and use that, but is not as strong as hair and liable to snap quite easily."
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: October 09, 2002 12:14
O... thank you so much! You are a gem amongst Elves!

*** Elerrina takes a few strands of etter-cap silk from the small pouch and the hair strands Elruwen offers, and sets to work weaving the materials together as she sees her instructor doing. ***
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 10, 2002 07:19
"As you weave the string Elerrina makes sure you make one loop larger than the other so that you can string the bow"

**compleates the string and hangs it on a nearby hook. she then attatches the horn tips to the bow, wraps a strip of leather where you would hold the bow, thus making a grip. She then holds the bow at arms length and squints...working out where her arrow rest should be. She then inlays a small piece of horn into the left side of the bow just above the handle...the arrow rest.**
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: October 13, 2002 02:01
*** After watching Elruwen complete her bow, she tries to duplicate the tasks needed to finish her own. She carefully compares the loops of her bow string to her teacher's, completing it and putting it aside. She then takes the horn tips and places them, leaving the leather-wrap of the grip for last. Matching Elruwen's method of figuring where the arrow rest should be, she then makes a tiny mark... ***

Elruwen, since this is my first bow, would you check this for alignment for the arrow rest?

*** Getting Elruwen'r go-ahead, Elerrina carefully insets the piece of horn for the arrow rest... ***

Any suggestions on what I've done so far? I'll probably do another while all the procedure is still fresh in my mind...
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 14, 2002 05:29
"Hmm let me see...Next time leave the final decoration until last because you might have had to take of some of the wood off the front of the bow. The last testing part of making a bow is seeing if you can string it."

**Elruwen demonstrates, she hooks the bottom loop/smaller loop to the bottom of the longbow catches the bow between her knee and ankle and bends it round so that she can attach to top loop of the string to the bow. She then draws it back so the string rests on the tip of her nose to check if the alignment and balance are right**
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: October 14, 2002 06:53
*** Elerrina listens to Elruwen's suggestions and nods. After she watches Elruwen's method of stringing the bow she tries it on her own... ***

Wooo, I'm not very good at this... *as she unsteadily attempts to string the bow*... I'll try again... *she repositions the bow, then pulls the loose end up and gets the loop over the tip on the first try...* There!! Oh, good... I got it. *she smiles*

Now, what am I checking for in balance and alignment?

*** she offers Elruwen the bow to show her how... ***
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 15, 2002 03:41
"As you draw the bowstring back you should be able to loosen your grip on the bow so that it rests in the gap between yout thumb and fore finger without it trying to roll out of your hand, as you look down towards the arrow rest you whould be able to see a very minute 'window' between the side of the bow and the string, as for balance you should be able to balance the bow from its midpoint on one finger quite easily, if it tilts the bow is unbalanced and adjustments will have to be made."

**glances over to Natika, Kyran and Sarie**

"How are you three coping?"
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: October 16, 2002 04:13
*** Elerrina does as Elruwen suggests and decides that the bow, while not perfect, is pretty close to being right, so she smiles and calls it good... ***

It's not great probably, Elruwen, but I think it'll be fine. It's certainly close enough to remind me what the steps are for making it perfect next time. *she smiles*

Hey, Kyran... how's yours coming?
Kyran
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2002 09:10
*Kyran looks up at Elerrina and Elruwen, they see he has half a snaped branch glued to the side of his head and his hand also glued to the stick the other stick it in s pudle of glue on the ground in with the glue tub and a knife*
"oh yea I'm fine thankyou"
*He smiles and laughs stupidly for a few minutes*
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 17, 2002 05:26
**Elruwen can't help but laugh at Kyran**
"Be more careful next time"
**He waves her hand as dispells the glue**
Kyran
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2002 08:40
"sorry "
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: October 18, 2002 09:20
*** Elerrina can't help but laugh, too... knowing that he can get himself cleaned up whever he really wants to... ***

Kyran... *she giggles* what in the world are you doing? Besides entertaining us... here let me help you... *she helps him pick some extra glue from his long hair...*

Mine's all done... maybe I can help you get your bow going again... *she smiles with Kyran at his joking around* And no magic, remember...
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 18, 2002 12:10
**Watches Elerrina help Kyran**

the following words pass from her lips in a just audible whisper:
'Adepts, i can still remeber when i was one, i caused so many problems and so did Elindir, it still seems like it was only yesterday'

**Smiles to herself**

[Edited on 20/10/2002 by Elruwen]
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 29, 2002 08:13
**Elruwen sits herself down in a chair and slowly drifts of into a troubled doze**
Solaris
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2002 08:15
Solaris looks around and accidently runs into Elruwen, she screams, and wakes her up,
"Sorry!"
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 29, 2002 08:45
**opens her eyes**
"What, was that scream for?" Elruwen asks Solaris
Solaris
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2002 08:52
"i did not see you there!"
Solaris bowed,
"I am Solaris, a hobbit, please excuse my barging but may i join you, on.... what ever it is you are doing?"
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 29, 2002 08:57
"I am afriad that you cannot join us, this is a matter concerning the Elven people. A matter that a Perrian like yourself could never hope to understand."

**smiles kindly at Solaris**
Solaris
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2002 09:51
"Oh, Oki"
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 29, 2002 10:13
"Please feel free to buy something or pass by again sometime."
**Elruwen moves her hand over her upper left arm trying to hide something and winces slightly**
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: October 29, 2002 10:31
As Elruwen winces, Elerrina feels it, too. She rises from helping Kyran and goes to her.

"Elruwen... come sit down. You must tend to yourself before you tend to us!" She smiles to soften the harshness of her words, then continues, unsure of how to help her friend. "Wouldn't this, ah... item be safer hidden somewhere else? Please let me help with healing this... no magic, just Eru's power to heal, thru me. Please let me help... "
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 29, 2002 10:44
"I made a promise to the Valar, and that promise i will keep until my time comes. If you can help me i would apriciate it, i think it got infected when i revealed it to you, my blade must have had some dirt on it."

**sits back down**
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: October 29, 2002 11:02
Putting her hands across the reddened skin, Elerrina does an invocation to Eru for his healing power to be sent through her, and with that said, Elruwen feels a warmth and a feeling of well-being flowing into her. Slowly the pain ebbs and the reddness retreats...

"Is that feeling any better?" Elerrina asks.

Elruwen looks up, with a slow smile. "Yes... I think so."
Elruwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 29, 2002 11:08
"Thank you very much, Elerrina. And now to turn my hand back to the task in hand."
**smiles**

[Edited on 29/10/2002 by Elruwen]
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email