Register

<< First1011121314
Author Topic:
CollintheGrey
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Things that bug me... Mistakes of FotR
on: April 08, 2004 07:52
I didn't like how they made Feramir...well...basicly he seemed posessed.
I also didn't like how they left out the scourning of thejavascript:insertAtCaret(':drool:','')
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2004 12:40
I didn't like how they made Feramir...well...basicly he seemed posessed.
I also didn't like how they left out the scourning of thejavascript:insertAtCaret(':drool:','')

Just being picky, but Faramir isn't in FotR. Nor is The Scouring of the Shire.

But since you mention it......Faramir was wonderful! OK they changed him slightly - and the more I see of TTTEE, the more I believe that it is only slightly. What they did was take into account the reactions of a guy who is in a war situation and grieving for his brother, and they adapted it accordingly.

How realistic would it have been in those circumstances for him to be at ease with total strangers, right on Mordor's doorstep?

When he talks about the dead soldier, you know that he doesn't like killing. When his men are beating Gollum, he doesn't watch. OK, this in itself can be construed as a weakness on his part - but he isn't a natural soldier, so will be guided by his men, who are.

He's then tempted to take the ring to his father in an attempt to gain his affection, but despite how much he does want his father to love and respect him, in the end he lets the hobbits go, with the memorable line "Then it is forfeit". He does what Boromir couldn't. He recognises the evil of the ring and the need to destroy it. And he knows what the personal cost will be to himself, but still frees the hobbits.

Faramir played a major major part - imo - in the destruction of the ring.
Vanayavie
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2004 11:48
I don't know if this have been mentioned. But when they are in moria and when they enter the room where the stone coffin is, the sun shines towards them.
Gandalf says: there is no way out. But when they leave the room they use aan exit where you can see the sunshine bean through the entire city of moria into the room they just wwere in. So there must have been too doors to that room---
Anarathien_Tinuviel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2009 07:05
Sir Ian says what sounds to me like "Sarahman" in one scene and then "Sar-ooh-mahn" in another...if it were diff.

I agree! At times it really confused me (because I watched the movie without reading the book and I knew hardly anything about characters/plot)....but I know better now!
Spragh
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2010 08:16
Hi,6 years later and here it is!!!...the new posts...

Well,why not.

I hate the movies.Know why?Because they make Elves,Dwarves and even Men...like a joke.Not like a real thing.I mean...i dont hate,it is just that i expected a little bit more realistic aproach,When you read the book,it has more serious effect and lead you to feel the things.The light in the movies were like hell.To many fancy stuff,but not in melody,rather just hooked up,and there you go,watch!Yea!Great!And elves like Celeborn are not slow motion creatures,maybe Ents are.The moviemakers could present to us elven divine elegance in some other way.
Saruman and Gandalf should have more misterius behavior.Not like men,they should act like wizards,they are Mayar after all.I love those actors who played them,but someone should ask of them to work on that behaviour.Those were the dark times,and,the LOTR animation movie,if you remember was far more realistic,dark,and full of misery.It is not that i love misery,it is just that the times were like that.To many make-up fellows,to many...
musicofainur
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2010 02:36
Yeah, I also agree with most who said that the Elves were not up to expectation. When you read them in the books, they seem to be ethereal. In the movies, they seem to be either on depressant drugs or just had botox.

The Saruman-Gandalf fight is ludicrous. Better to not show it at all, rather than show two old men fighting like that. The whole scene is indescribable, I am lost in words.

The last major thing that annoys me is Arwen. Her heroism and deeds are invented and it seemed like she was contending to win more renown than Luthien and NO ONE should ever surpass Luthien. :evil:

OH, and another thing that ticks me off : the appearance of the elves, especially Haldir. Many elves look downright ugly.
And have anyone noticed an elf who wears glasses during the Last Alliance Battle just right after Sauron is defeated. I thought they all have good sight...

[Edited on 2/1/2010 by musicofainur]
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: January 02, 2010 07:49
I agree. The elves were a major disappointment to me.

Legolas and Arwen weren't too bad, although neither was anywhere close to being beautiful enough to play an elf. Also, by adding more of Arwen, unnecessarily IMO, they shafted the Legolas character who is actually much closer to Aragorn than is conveyed by the films. They are more like brothers than friends.

But Celeborn, Elrond and, especially, Galadriel were a major disappointment.

Elves are immune from aging and disease so why did they pick actors who were clearly in their 30's? They should have all looked no more than 25 years old. And, while there wasn't anything wrong with their acting skills, beautiful to behold.....I think not.

But, IMHO, Galadriel was the biggest disappointment. She is the most beautiful woman in Middle Earth. Cate Blanchett has what I would decribe as an "interesting" face, but I wouldn't decribe her as beautiful and, again, she was too old for the part. The only place Galadriel shows her age is in the wisdom reflected in her eyes.

Her first appearance on screen should have taken my breath away...it didn't.

[Edited on 2/1/2010 by Eomer_Sister]

[Edited on 2/1/2010 by Eomer_Sister]
Spragh
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2010 11:48
30s?...Eomers sister...30s are fine...50 years is old Sir who played Lord Elrond.And Celeborn actor is over 40.For shure.But i guess they did that for parents,when children start askin-how is he his father?HAHAHAHAHA..just jokin.No,they should done a better job.
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: September 02, 2010 11:27
I adore FotR, but still I can't help but pick on some things, things that bug me even after those 150 or so times I've watched it so far I think I'll leave out the character shifts (Frodo wimp-inized, Isildur villainized etc.), otherwise I'd never get to the end
Now for my pet peeves from the prologue onwards...

1. The synchronising irritates me sometimes- for the first time, when the hobbit children raise their heads and start cheering a few seconds too late after the first firework from GDF's cart is set off. Then in Moria, when the viewer is watching the dwarf skeletons behind the Gates while Gimli is still looking around the hall happily, droning on about how "they call it a mine", and only notices the bodies when Boromir whispers "It's a tomb".

2. "There are many magic Rings in the world, Bilbo Baggins." Now you're scaring me Gandalf... O_o Is he considering 20 many, or has Sauron made more than one, or are they simply so easy to make everyone with a decent training in forging can make their own?

3. GDF breaking into Bag End through a window? I find it hard to believe that he'd squeeze through, although the mental image amuses me. Or maybe he'd had a smoke there, opened the window and forgot to close it again? A minor thing, more funny than irritating to me.

4. GDF and SMN fighting like schoolboys. I have a difficult time at this point seeing them as powerful and noble Maiar.

5. Strider treating Frodo as inferior in Bree, answering his reasonable question of "Who are you" with a considerably less reasonable "Are you frightened?" Prudence when it comes to revealing information about yourself is one thing, downright rudeness is another.

6. A deer in Midgewater Marshes? O_O I shudder to think where it came from... Not to mention the fact that it's not the best idea to triple your weight instead of dragging the animal behind you when you're in the middle of marshlands at night :rolleyes: If the animal was caught somewhere in the woodlands, why leave the hobbits unprotected and unarmed when the Ringwraiths are about? Maybe the deer was purchased in Bree, though... perhaps in the same place the hobbit daggers/swords were bought

7. Strider giving the hobbits swords to defend themselves, but no warning not to draw any attention to themselves.

8. Why doesn't the WK kill Frodo on Weathertop? In the book, he missed the heart and hit the shoulder because F lunged at him. Perhaps the movie WK is under commands to recruit F as the tenth Ringwraith?

9. The whole action!Arwen thing. There appears to be a grave shortage of Noldorin warriors in Rivendell, and those who are there seem to be rather untrained- viz the merry Helm's Deep enterprise in TTT and the fact that the Rivendell males apparently only deem it safe to forge swords and appear on Councils and weddings. No wonder Elrond says to GDF Rivendell doesn't have the strength to fight both Mordor and Isengard; in my humble opinion, it looks like they don't even have the strength to bring down a pack of wargs. :nono:

Not to mention that the Arwen who so valiantly defies the Ringwraiths is the same one who is dying in RotK for the sole reason that Sauron is evil :rolleyes: The same one who is to be taken to the Havens by the "safest road." ...Perhaps it's a delayed effect of exposure to the Black Breath or something? :twitch:

10. "Men are weak and dwarves hide in their mountains seeking riches, caring nothing for the troubles of others" - why then bring them to the council at all, if they are so worthless, Master Elrond? I understand the races have to unite to be able to challenge Sauron, but to badmouth them like that before the council even started?

11. Aragorn's lethargic attitude just irks me. He's had 87 years to come to terms with his heritage, he sees the havoc Sauron is wreaking on M-E and 'his' countries on a daily basis, knows his mother "gave hope to the Dúnedain", wants to marry an elf of royal blood-- and still he's content to "have chosen exile" and has never wanted to wield the Narsil? I'd expect a bit more strength and resolve in a future king. I admit I have no great love for a phlegmatic hobo who needs to be prodded into action by both Elrond and AWN.

12. Boromir's visit to the Narsil chamber. If the shards are just a broken heirloom not even worth picking up off the floor and everything worth keeping is only what the Stewards gained, why can't Boromir at least show some manners in the house he is a guest to? Does he really have to behave like a spoilt teenager deriding his poor relative's possessions?

One more thing that doesn't sit well with me about this scene is the mysterious link between "I am a friend of Gandalf the Grey" and "Then we are here on a common purpose, friend." Huh? I fail to see why being GDF's friend would imply AGN is there to attend the council, unless it was GDF who called it, which he wasn't. Weird.

13. Gimli's vocal grief in Moria. It's rather naïve of Gandalf to hope that "our presence will go unnoticed" when Gimli decided to impersonate the Horn of Helm Hammerhand a few moments prior :rolleyes:
The same goes for Aragorn's near-shout of "Run!" to Frodo at Amon Hen. Why not hiss it when orcs are close?

14. Legolas's shrewd observations of "Goblins!"/"Orcs!" This is supposed to be a sample of "the wisest and fairest of all beings"? :nono: Honestly, couldn't they have picked Pippin to deliver the Captain Obvious lines?

15. I've been trying in vain to figure out why Gimli gives these sort of jubilant cries when the goblins who surround them flee at the sound of the balrog coming. For some reason, the quote from the movie Madagascar comes to my mind at that point- "If the fossa are afraid of him, maybe we should be afraid too?"
At least his cries sound jubilant to my ears, I don't know, perhaps the director's impression was that the dwarf sounds confused or something 8/

16. Aragorn & co. on the crumbling precipice, tossing everyone into safe arms except Frodo. That's right, who cares about some Ringbearer? Or Sauron.

17. The scene on the talan where Boromir tells Frodo Gandalf wouldn't want him to give up hope- I admit I'm not following. Were the scriptwriters merely redeeming the character of Boromir, showing he cares for Frodo? Because sure as hell he didn't believe in the success of his quest from the moment it was mentioned at the Council. The scene is nice and I like it, it's just a tad confusing to me.

18. Celeborn's awfully hairy hand as he hands the dagger to Aragorn when the Fellowship prepare to leave Lórien. I cringe every time I see it

19. "Bring them to me alive and unspoiled". Um, isn't Uglúk, or whoever it was, supposed to make that bit of information known to the other Uruks? The one with the axe who tries to kill M and P, namely? Had they ever made it back to Isengard and had Boromir not saved M and P, Saruman would have had the leader's hide.

20. The king of my pet peeves and IMO the hugest faux pas in FotR- Galadriel's pronunciation of "Eärendil". *major cringe*
Where are the moviemakers' elvish languages experts when you need them? Cut, cut, cut! :angry:

[Edited on 14/9/2010 by ~nólemë~]
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2010 06:18
20. The king of my pet peeves and IMO the hugest faux pas in FotR- Galadriel's pronunciation of "Eärendil". *major cringe* Where are the moviemakers' elvish languages experts when you need them? Cut, cut, cut!

Another note on pronunciation, I'm not sure that Sindarin short i was necessarily pronounced correctly -- as in Minas Tirith, Mithril, for two examples. Though I suppose this could be a matter of debate between some.

In any case, yes it does seem that the linguistic advisors were at lunch when Earendil was spoken. I suppose it could be a matter of several takes being available, some of which had the right pronunciation (perhaps even due to correction), although the take with the wrong pronunciation was ultimately used by mistake, or for some other reason.

I suppose! but however it happened they are missing a syllable with respect to a very important name in Tolkien's mythology.
Gwenniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2010 07:52
What about the unforgettable Mo'do the big-blue-eyes takls about?

And agreeing on no.14: indeed, Legolas seems a bit grumpy. Where's the funny guy who goes to find the sun?
~nólemë~
Send Message
on: November 24, 2010 09:50
Another note on pronunciation, I'm not sure that Sindarin short i was necessarily pronounced correctly -- as in Minas Tirith, Mithril, for two examples. Though I suppose this could be a matter of debate between some.

Just making sure, since I don't learn Sindarin - those 'i's should be pronounced as the German 'ü', as a sort of 'whistling' sound?

In any case, yes it does seem that the linguistic advisors were at lunch when Earendil was spoken. I suppose it could be a matter of several takes being available, some of which had the right pronunciation (perhaps even due to correction), although the take with the wrong pronunciation was ultimately used by mistake, or for some other reason.

True, but what to say about them repeating the same mistake twice in RotK- once by Galadriel (the quote isn't the same as in FotR, which means another track had to be used), and once by Frodo. I just don't get it... :nono:

Gandalf's English pronunciation of "A [pə'lænti:r] is a dangerous tool" is also wrong, I believe. :rolleyes:

@ Gwen:
- yes, I would have loved that scene! Even if Mr Bloom's (non)mimics aren't exactly my cup of tea, I would still leap at every crumb of tolkienesque elvishness for this character

- @ Mordor- I agree that the pronunciation was off- perhaps some of the English speakers just couldn't produce the trilled R eventhough they tried? *shrug* I for one haven't met a single one in life who could do it... how lucky my native language actually uses the elvish R, and I only learn the easy English one
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 25, 2010 01:43
Just making sure, since I don't learn Sindarin - those 'i's should be pronounced as the German 'ü', as a sort of 'whistling' sound?

In The Road Goes Ever On it's noted that the vowel should sound like the i in English 'sick' -- for Sindarin short i that is (not long i), even though (in a more general context) The Lord of the Rings gives the English example machine -- along with noting 'irrespective of quantity' in Appendix E.

The film follows Appendix E. But in RGEO (also published by JRRT himself) Tolkien noted that Appendix E might have been a bit unclear, and why should he have noted (also Appendix E) that Sindarin long a, e, o have the same quality as the short versions -- leaving out i for example -- if this vowel also had the same quality (as the reader might already suspect from previous information)?

It seems (to me) to be because long and short i did not have the same quality, and that was what was being cleared up in RGEO with the new example of 'sick'.

True, but what to say about them repeating the same mistake twice in RotK- once by Galadriel (the quote isn't the same as in FotR, which means another track had to be used), and once by Frodo.

Ah, I didn't know that. If so, that sounds less and less like a mistake that just got through somehow. Curious.
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2010 07:33
I don't have a problem with Galadriel's pronunciation of "Eärendil", but what does bother me is the way she pronounces "Isildur": "Issy-oh-dor". :twitch:
I've only got a couple of peeves now, I've got over most of my original ones.

1. The Gandalf-Saruman fight. Yeah, this has been torn up often enough. Main thing about it that irks me is the sudden appearance of their injuries. One second Gandalf is fine, no wounds at all, then two seconds into the fight he has two sizeable cuts on his forehead. Where'd they come from?! I don't think he could have got that kind of injuries from slamming into the floor, could he? Same with Saruman - one second fine, then Gandalf throws him backwards through the doors and he's got a cut on his forehead. Just... what? :dizzy:

2. Bruinen. I'm not even bothered by Arwen any more, I've got over that and actually I'm now finding the romantic scenes quite sweet. But in this scene, she is incredibly overdramatic. "Frodo, no! Frodo, don't give in! Not now!" :rolleyes: Plus, you know when she gets the cut on her face from a branch? Well, the next time we see her, it's gone, with no sign it was ever there - surely there might be a scar? Oh well, maybe it's because she's an elf. I seem to remember something about them healing quickly.

3. Why is it that they show every member of the Fellowship getting a gift, but leave out Boromir? This is mostly just me being defensive of my favourite character, but really, no wonder I don't like Galads much in this film. Makes him cry, then leaves him out of the gift-giving bit.

4. The Nazgûl just magically appearing from within that tree. Maybe Old Man Willow just didn't like the taste of several-millennia-old embodiment of evil?

5. Character changes. Been ranted about enough. ("I do not want that power. I have never wanted it." Uh, yes, you do, and you have.)
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
Gwenniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2010 03:45
Good point loony. Here goes Galadriel: "I will now give gifts to each of you - except Boromir, because you're obviously evil and will die soon anyway." *shows tongue*

Speaking of Galadriel, don't you think the whole stay in Lórien is all creepy and sad: the elves seem lofty and not very kind. Furthermore, the whole place shines in a hollowy way. Sure, it's very pretty, but those elves being woodelves might have different taste, and even the lady of light might not want to live in a place resembling Varda's workshop.
~nólemë~
Send Message
on: November 28, 2010 04:53
I'm content with everything about Lórien except Galadriel's hair (if I were Fëanor, what they showed of it certainly wouldn't inspire me to create the silmarilli ). And yes, the Boromir no-gift scene is odd, but being no Borofan, I only noticed now that you told me :blush:
I guess they just needed to show the elves revere Varda, and their habits and culture differ from that of men and hobbits... I guess... By the way, they didn't strike me as unduly inhospitable- about equal to Gildor and his company's treatment of the three hobbits in the books, actually

[Edited on 28/11/2010 by ~nólemë~]
ArienOfGondor
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2010 02:09
One thing that bothers me to the extreme is how Frodo is always tripping on stuff and falling....it's like in every action scene he's in he ends up on the floor. Also how there's a ridiculous amount of dramatic close ups on his face, he always has a funny expression when they do that too lol.
Well dramatic Frodo scenes and all I still absolutely adore this movie as always haha
<< First1011121314
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email