Welcome Guest 

Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
Post RE: Of Dragons and Caverns (scripted: pm to join)
on: December 21, 2003 05:58
Maethir was much more inclinded to answer to Loryn's soft voice than Randiron or Haldan's threatening ones, but still felt stubborn. He looked off into the distance, debating whether or not to keep his secrets. Finally, the patience of Loryn chose for him.

"I do not claim to know much, but I have my ideas," he began. "Guddo came to us shortly before you did, he tried to 'steal' my horse," Maethir laughed here, leaving out other details, "but was unable to. It is clear to me that he is a refugee from Mordor, and the orcs that we encountered were chasing him. They were scouts, for traveling quickly and were unprepared for anything but a tired boy. I know no why he is of importance, but I cannot let the orcs retake him. Even if it means my life. At the moment, Jag will protect him, and he will either return by his own will or Guddo's, unless I call him, then the horse will come and not be stopped. Guddo can, of course, dismount, but I do not think he will try to run from me. But I trust him, even if he does not return."

The young half-elf gazed at Loryn intently. "I will not abandon my friends; not Guddo," he paused, then said awkwardly, "not you."
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 02:30
Haldan sat on the ground, not speaking. He was too upset to speak. He sat with closed eyes, drinking it all in.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 03:20
Trees were flying pas quickly, barely noticable in the dark, time after time branches were hitting Gudrith on the face. The boy felt as if he had wings that were bearing him away from the orcs, from Mordor, from his father... Jag slowed his pace and after a whie stopped. They were far enough not to be caught within several hours. Gudrith didn't urge the horse forward, he just sat on his back, still reliving the feeling of freedom he had felt just a few moments ago. Jag turned his head to look at Gudrith. The boy met the horses dark eyes in silence. What are we doing next? Are we going back? the horse seemed to ask. Gudrith extended his hand to pat Jag's sweaty neck. Another thought entered his mind, interrupting the harmony. Maethir. He couldn't help remembering the young half-elf, the friendship he gave without a reason, how he had stood up against his friends for Gudrith, and now he had given him Jag... Gudrith knew he shouldn't, but he felt some kind of duty towards him. Jag stomped his leg and neighed softly. As if inquiring. Gudrith squeezed the riegns in his hands. He could now leave! He had the possibility he had been dreaming about! Again the image of the calm smile of Maethir blinked before his eyes.

"Go now!" Gudrith spoke to Jag, urging him forward. But instead of moving on, ke truned the horse around. He knew he was acting in a very stupid way, against all the logics. But there was something too strong inside him that didn't let him follow his mind's way.

They were returning much slower than when they were leaving. Gudrith still was hunted by doubts, but he had made his choice. It was already light when he heard voices ahead. Gudrith concentrated on the area in front. Annoyance and anger there were, and sadness. As he rode closer, the trees stepped aside. Haldan was arguing with Maethir who seemed tired and getting weary, and Randiron was, too, on Haldan's side. Only the girl remained neutral. "Let's go," Gudrith whispered to Jag, and they stepped out of the shadows. All three stared at him, and there was a happy smile on Maethir's face. Gudrith felt he had done the right thing, and in his heart another ray of light started to chase away a little spot of darkness.

"Here is your horse. Thank you for lending it." He dismounted, and Jag neighed happily as he walked towards his master.Then Gudrith turned to the others, his head high and steel in his eyes. He was ready to face whatever would come.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 05:39
Maethir would have been more happy if he hadn't been still so tired. He was pleased that Gudrith had returned, though he had believed that he would from the start. The half-elf rose from where he had sat and embraced the boy. "I knew you would return, mellon nin, my friend," he said. "I trusted you with Jag and I know that you well deserved it. I am sorry that you find our camp cold and messy."

Taking Gudrith by the arm, Maethir pointed towards his companions and then, beyond their camp, the corpses of slain orcs. Then, he seated and began to share what food he had. The young half-elf looked somewhat curiosly at Gudrith as the boy tried the lembas. "What do you think?" he asked
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 06:37
"I will not abandon my friends; not Guddo, not you."

Loryn smiled at the kindness of the young half-elf. He was proving to be a worthy companion, more loyal than most she knew.

When Loryn heard the sound of hooves beating the ground, she turned to see Jag galloping in, and the boy on his back. She knew from Maethir's smile that he was glad that the boy had not betrayed him.

The two sat down to eat, and Loryn went back to her horse in the woods. Finding him happily eating, she knew he had probably already forgotten their little village. She stroked his neck, half-smiling, and removed some of the saddle-bags she had tossed over his back.

[Edited on 22/12/2003 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 09:26
Randiron had, of course, heard the horse long before it reappeared out of the forest. There was no expression on the Elf's face as Guddo dismounted and returned Jag to his rightful owner. Interesting, he thought, but the event brought Randiron no joy. He was tired of the arguing that had taken up the rest of the night.

That the two youngsters were tired was obvious. The Elleth, too, looked weary after her escape and the unexpected fight. More for Loryn's sake than anyone else's, Randiron announced they would stay where they were until high sun. At that time, they would continue moving on.

Grabbing his bow, the Elf stalked into the forest to hunt for more food. They did, of course, have enough lembas to last quite a while, but Randiron needed the peace and quiet to clear his mind.

[Edited on 22/12/2003 by CarolP]
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2003 12:12
Gudrith looked suspiciously at the cookie in his hand. He hadn't expacted a warm welcome, and certainly not to be called a "friend". He looked into Maethir's eyes, and a dangerous flame flickered deep within his own ocean-blue's.

"You shouldn't call me a friend, I'm nobody's friend. And trust me, nobody would want to be my friend," he turned his gaze away to see Randiron disappearing in the forrest. "And I wouldn't risk to be my friend, if I were you." He carefully took a small bite.

He felt as if he had been hit hard in the head. The world was floating past his eyes, the smell of lembas made his stomack turn over, his vision was clouded, and he lost his senses.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2003 02:23
Haldan, sitting in the crotch of a tree since the battle, finnally climbed sown. Walking over to Maethir, he said "Looks like there's something wrong with your friend."
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: December 23, 2003 07:25
Maethir scowled at Haldan who looked rather pleased. Although he wasn't very concerned about Gudrith, assuming that something about the boy made him react this way to the lembas, he was still irratated by Haldan's reaction.

Rather annoyed, Maethir sighed. There was nothing that he knew to do, but wait until Gudrith came around and then the half-elf would have to find some other type of food for him. He knew the others would not do this and it would fall to him. It was not that he did not have confidence in his skills, but it would take time and time could play a part in 'the mission' as he called it.

Gudrith slowly came around, but was still feeling ill. The boy glanced at the offending bread and threw it from him, then lay back.

Maethir looked at him apollogetically, biting his lip and hoping that the boy wouldn't be angry. "Sorry," the half-elf murmured, "I didn't mean to, you know. I didn't know. Why did it make you ill? Oh, never mind." It occured to Maethir that maybe the answer was something that he, or rather his companions, ought not to know.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: December 23, 2003 09:52
Randiron stalked back into camp, carrying several braces of rabbits. He stopped and stared at Guddo. It was obvious that he had been taken ill. It wasn't until after he and the others had prepared their meal and had them roasting that he broached the subject, though. Quietly, he asked Maethir what had happened.

"The lembas made Guddo sick," was the half-elf's reply. Randiron stared at the boy again. Sick? From lembas? He had never heard of lembas causing anyone to be ill. Who was Guddo? Like Maethir, Randiron wasn't sure he wanted to find out.

When the meat was done enough, Randiron handed a piece to Guddo. Why, he wasn't sure, but it definately helped the boy's recovery. As he ate his own, the Elf tried to avoid thinking about this strange boy and concentrate on the mission ahead.

[Edited on 23/12/2003 by Gilraen]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2003 11:58
The world was slowly coming back. But the sick feeling in the stomack remained. Gudrith looked at the poisoned piece of dry bread and threw it away. Great! His expectations had proved to be correct, they were trying to feed him some poisoned food, out of their own purposes. Maybe Maethir did know whohe was...

"Sorry," the half-elf murmured, "I didn't mean to, you know. I didn't know. Why did it make you ill? Oh, never mind."

Gudrith looked at Maethir closely, with disbelief. I didn't know? Really? But then, it was Maethir, and Gudrith had this strange feeling that if he trusted someone, it would be Maethir. He had no idea, why. In fact, he wasn't going to trust anyone, so it didn't really matter. He felt the cold stare of Randiron even before the elf appeared out of the forrest. Randiron set to cooking the rabbits he had caught, and the smell made Gudrith's poor empty stomack shrink. He turned away not to watch the food, but the smell kept torturing him. Then, all of a sudden, he was offered a piece. Gudrith clenched his fists not to grab it, and refused. He only accepted the nicely cooked meat when he saw Maethir and Randiron eating the same rabbit. It was just perfect! The best he had ever tried! (as would think anybody who has spent a while starving). He heard Randiron being surprised about him getting ill from lembas. So that was the bread he was given? He had heard about it, from the orcs. They were unable to eat the elvish bread. Gudrith frowned. Was he, too? Strange...
In the Realm of Ulmo
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2003 02:25
Hladan, through all of this, was gone. After saying "something is wrong with your friend", he had stalked off into the woods. Comign back at this moment with a large phesent of some sort, he began to build his own fore and proceeded to cook some food. After his supper he lay down to rest and listen to the talk aroun camp.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: December 26, 2003 02:49
Randiron, like Haldan, listened to the merry conversation that Loryn and Maethir had started. Guddo was mostly silent, and the Elf noticed the boy watching everything and everyone.

At last though, Randiron saw the sunlight shining down from high above. He sighed, got up and started kicking dirt over the fire. All talk stopped when he did so and he felt all eyes on him. The Elf made sure the fire was out, though, before speaking.

He turned to the others then, and said, "It is time to leave." With a rare show of diplomacy, Randiron continued, "Haldan, lead us on," and then he nodded to the Elleth as she rose to get her horse.

It didn't take long for the small group to gather their equipment and set off again. Haldan, as guide, was again leading. Randiron wasn't surprised at all to see Guddo seated behind Maethir on Jag, but said nothing. He was still too confused by Guddo's unexpected illness. Silently, Randiron rode at the end of the small column, and tried not to puzzle about it.
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: December 26, 2003 07:05
Maethir was a little more quiet than usual, being unable to force any of his companions to speak. He was a little hurt that Gudrith refused to talk, thinking that maybe, the boy blamed him for the illness.

The horses snorted and tossed their heads as their riders remain silent. Jag pawed occasionally and once tried to nip the flank of Loryn's mount. Maethir jerked him back, a bit annoyed with the horse's behavior.

The half-elf almost wished Haldan or Randiron would find fault with him, just so some one would speak.
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2003 03:29
((Sorry I haven't posted, been really busy with Xmas stuff!))

Loryn looked up when Randiron started kicking dirt over the fire, and got up silently when he announced they were going.

She decided to leave behind everything she had taken off her horse, as most of it was ruined, and any additional weight would most likely slow down their progress.

She mounted and turned towards the others, going alongside Maethir and Jag. Jag anxiously tried to nip at her horse's flank, but Maethir stopped him, and Loryn smiled a bit.

Loryn stayed silent as they traveled, for lack of knowing what to say to these new companions.

[Edited on 27/12/2003 by Gilraen]
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 02:32
Hladan rode ahead, keeping silent and still fuming. He was resigned that he would have to be around these... these... there was no word for the companions he had to endure.
His cold, black heart could find no liking for these companions.
There was nothing he could do but keep traveling.

[Edited on 29/12/2003 by Gilraen]
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 07:39
The day wore on, thoroughly boring for the energetic young half-elf. Jag too, felt the strain of doing nothing and even more so, contention between the travelers. He tossed his head and this time turned and tried to bite Haldan's horse. The elf's large black mount squealed slighty, but Haldan ignored it. Jag pinned his ears back and snapped at the elf, though not actually touching him.

Maethir slid off Jag's back, leaving Guddo to direct him, and vanished among the trees. The half-elf searched the ground carefully, then looked up. Maethir had the feeling he had been having ever since they met Gudrith. He looked hard, but couldn't figure out quite what he was looking for.

Maethir turned about and sprinted back to his companions. Haldan stared hard at him. "We shall camp here," the elf stated, looking directly at Maethir. The half-elf was taken by surprise. "Surely we should keep on a little further," Maethir contradicted him. "No," Haldan said, smiling slightly and making Maethir feel foolish, for he was not the guide, not even a pure elf.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: December 29, 2003 09:28
Randiron's eyes flashed in annoyance at Haldan's words, but said nothing as he dismounted from Nauren's back. He, too had had a strange feeling as they rode along, and hadn't been surprised when he saw Maethir slip off into the forest.

He quickly tended to his mount's needs, gathered some firewood, and kindled a fire. He then un-slung his bow, and silently, went out into the forest to hunt for dinner; his elven senses stretched to the limit as he tried to identify what he was feeling.

The strain within the small group was bothering him as well, but what could be done to remedy it, the Elf didn't know, but something had to be done about it - and soon.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 01:30
The day had passed by without a single word dropped. Gudrith felt the enemity flowing in waves from Haldan, but now he had learned to distinguish it from other feelings of the elf. It was a pure surprise for him to find that he was not the only one it was directed to. The other one was Maethir. This was proved by the few words exchanged between the two. He sat by the fire as Randiron disappeared into the forest. The elf was confused by the situation, Gudrith could tell it even from where he was.

So this was what the elves were really like! So different from what he had imagined, from what he had seen. The elves in his father's dungeons, they were sad, weak and mostly dying, but they had held together until the last moment. they had supported each other, and some indeed gave their lives for their kinmates. This had touched Gudrith deeply, even if they rejected him and always saw him as one of the enemies, although he had done his best to help some and even get a few out of the underground. His mother had told him that the other elves were light and open, and kind, and she had always longed to meet them... but she never had the chance. Now Gudrith was happy she had died, it would have hurt her to learn the truth about the true nature of the elves.

A dark and hateful stare made the boy lift his gaze.

"What?" he asked Haldan.
In the Realm of Ulmo
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 02:21
"Nothing." Haldan replied simply, and everted his gaze from Guddo. He stalked away from the others and built a large fire. After eating he fell asleep almost immediatly.

[Edited on 30/12/2003 by CarolP]
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 07:15
Loryn dismounted and turned her horse loose to graze as he pleased. She then went to join the others around the fire, although she could feel the tension between them, and wasn't sure that she should get involved in this.

Maethir had gone off into the forest, Randiron had gone hunting, and Haldan had left, leaving only her and the boy, Guddo, sitting there. She was concerned about the opinion he would have of their race after this small trip.

"Do not let their arguing influence you," she said softly,"not everyone outside of Mordor is like this." Her thoughts went to her home amongst the trees, with so many of her own people and how she longed to go back.

[Edited on 30/12/2003 by CarolP]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 10:05
Randiron returned from his hunting to find only Guddo and Loryn sitting by the fire. He sat down, prepared the meat, and started it to roast. The tension in the air bit into his elven senses, and he was getting tired of it. He could do nothing about Haldan's feelings, however, he could do something about his own.

Struggling within himself to find the right words, Randiron decided to make the effort. That Guddo would be suspicious of his words, he knew, but still, Randiron felt he had to try - if only for the good of the group.

"Guddo," he said quietly. The boy looked at him, and indeed, Randiron could see the wariness in his eyes, but the Elf returned Guddo's gaze straightly. Continuing, Randiron said, "Please, accept my apology for my earlier actions, and my welcome into this group." The Elf held Guddo's eyes with his for a long moment, and then he rose and walked over to Nauren. He had made the first move. Now... it was up to Guddo.
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 01:13
Maethir glanced towards camp and just caught Randiron's words. Silently, he thanked the Valar for this, for surely this would help the conflicts in camp. He wished that Haldan was not hostile and resolved to try to make anything up to him if he could. Reflecting on the goings on, Maethir was sorry that he, Randiron, and Haldan had given such an ill impression to their new companions. Yet, even so, not all elves were as most pictured them. Maeglin had betrayed Gondolin. The half-elf closed his eyes, sorrowfully remembering the sad tale.

Looking up, Maethir spied Haldan. Ah, here was a chance to become friends. Slowly, he approached the elf.
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2003 02:33
Unaware of Meathir's approach, Haldan continued to think, slightly out-loud. He sat down at his fire, and proceeded to eat.
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 01, 2004 02:42
Maethir set down the firewood that he had been gathering and looked awkwardly around. Randiron, Loryn, and Gudrith were fairly far off, talking about something or other. He sighed and walked over to Haldan. He couldn't think of anything to say, so he just stood there, behind the elf, watching him. Suddenly, he heard Haldan mumbling something, almost like he was speaking to some one else.

"Curse him," Haldan said, then broke off.

"Who?" Maethir said almost involuntarily.

The tall elf whipped around and pointed his sword at Maethir. The half-elf told him that it was only himself, a friend, expecting to see him relax, but he did not. Haldan glared at him and took a step forward. Maethir stood still, carefully watching the blade's movement, but unable to say anything.

"What is it?" Maethir whispered at last.

[Edited on 2/1/2004 by shirehobbit]
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2004 02:25
"YOU" Haldan sneered, giving him a look that was twisted with hatred. "You." Haldan said again, more quietly.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2004 02:37
Gudrith's eyes followed Haldan as the elf left. Something about him kept stirring up Gudrit's anger, but it might lead to unwanted consequences. He breathed deeply.

Somebody sat down at his side. It was the girl. She didn't express enemity, so Gudrith alllowed himself to relax a little. She was no danger to him. Or so he hoped.

"Do not let their arguing influence you," she said softly,"not everyone outside of Mordor is like this."

Gudrith smirked. Really! This was not what he had seen. And he tended to believe his senses only. People's emotions never lied. And there was hate and anger in the air. Just as in Mordor. So - no difference.

Except for her and Maethir, maybe. Until they got to know...

"You are sure? I am young, but I'm not as naive as it might seem."
In the Realm of Ulmo
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 02, 2004 04:46

Somehow, the boy's statement rankled Randiron, but he tried not to let it show. He turned and joined Guddo and Loryn at the fire. Again holding Guddo's eyes, the Elf said, "Loryn is right. Do not judge all elves by what you see here."

Randiron then gazed into the dancing flames of the fire, and remembered again the reason he was the way he was. It was not a thing to share - at least not yet. Shuddering to himself, Randiron remembered the darkness of the cave and again felt it closing around him, choking his breath and keeping him from the blessed light of day.

(OOC: See y'all in 3 days! )

[Edited on 2/1/2004 by gwendeth]
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2004 07:15

Loryn was slow to reply to this. She knew after their company, the boy might feel untrusting and angry, but she had seen a lot of Middle-Earth, and experienced kindness as well.

"I am sure of this." She then looked to him to trust her.

((Bye gwendeth! We'll take care of him for you.))
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 02, 2004 08:55
Maethir looked in shock at Haldan. He didn't understand. He knew that the elf hadn't been quite fond of him, but they had been friends, sort of. The point of the sword did not waver and only advanced as Maethir backed away. The young half-elf stopped then and stood firmly, refusing to give another step. He looked hard at Haldan.

"What would you do?" he asked, somewhat sorrowfully. "Are you not my friend?"

[Edited on 2/1/2004 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2004 01:22
Gudrith looked at both of them surprised. They were so eager to make him think better of elves. Why would they? Orcs never bothered about the impression they left. He was just about to say something itchy when he felt a change of feelings. It was Randiron, a darkness entered his soul and chained his mind. The elf seemed to choke, his eyes staring at something beyond Gudrith's vision... Gudrith glanced at Loryn. She had switched her attention from him to Randiron.

"Randiron? Are you allright? Randiron?!" she looked really worried, as she kneeled beside the elf and held his hand. He didn't react.

Gudrith leaned forward and locked his eyes on Randiron's. He didn't understand it clearly, but he had felt that Randiron had meant what he had said, and now Gudrith felt the need to help, just like back there, in Mordor... His gaze seemed to enter Randiron's mind, and an image of a cave appeared in front of Gudrith's eyes. He felt panick taking hold of Randiron. With an effort, he grabbed his conscience and turned it back.
"Randiron? Do you hear me? You have to come back. Come back to light!" he heard Loryn.
As soon as Randiron's eyes became light again, Gudrith turned his gaze away, letting him go. He stood up and walked a few steps aside. He shouldn't play with this, he knew. He had seen the danger that was hidden within himself.
In the Realm of Ulmo
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 05, 2004 06:39
"Randiron? Do you hear me? You have to come back. Come back to light!"

Randiron heard Loryn's voice as if from a far distance, and something... something entered his mind, seeing what the Elf saw and felt in his memory - and then it was gone again. Shuddering again and struggling with his mind, Randiron forced his memories and panic back into the depths where he tried to avoid them.

As he came back to awareness of his surroundings, Randiron saw that Guddo had walked a few steps away, and that Loryn was holding his hand. The Elf flushed, mumbled something inaudible and continued gazing into the fire. To try and turn his thoughts, Randiron tried to identify what - or - who had 'helped' him - and why.

shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 05, 2004 07:31
Haldan stopped and dipped the point of his sword as something waved over the elves there. He seemed to fight something, but Maethir did not wait. Ducking away, be sprinted back to camp in time to see Loryn and Gudrith staring at Randiron. Concerned for him friend, Maethir approached him, more worried about him than the fact that Haldan had been queer. The young half-elf looked into Randiron's eyes, trying to catch the elf's attention.

A noise made Maethir look up from this. Haldan came striding back into camp, his arms full of firewood and looking as though nought had happened. He wore the same irritated expression, but that was as always. Maethir frowned at him, completely lacking an understanding of the elf.
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2004 02:28
Haldan had felt the darkness, but as he was already cloaked in it, it affected him little. He strode into camp, deposited the wood, and strode out. As he walked by Maethir he glanced at him. Then he lay down on his mat and slept.
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2004 02:04
"Randiron? Do you hear me? You have to come back. Come back to light!"

Loryn was concerned as she grasped his hand, waiting anxiously for him to return to his normal state. He "awoke", gasping and a little flushed, not seeming to be willing to explain what had happened to the others.

She was also concerned about what was happening to Maethir and Haldan. The two did not seem to be getting on well, and she wondered if there was anything she could do to help.

She stood, only to see that Haldan was asleep. She looked around and saw that Guddo had walked away a distance. She would let them all be for a while.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email