Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First45678
Author Topic:
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
Post RE: Of Dragons and Caverns (scripted: pm to join)
on: April 04, 2004 10:54
Maethir woke with sharp pain seemingly everywhere. He blinked, stifling a cry. Looking around him, he saw only orcs. Yet in this he found some comfort, for perhaps then his friends were safe elsewhere.

A large orc, taking notice of the prisoner's movements, stilled them with a swift kick. Maethir, who had been raising himself on his knees and hands, was sent heavily backwards. He bit his lip hard, but a low moan escaped him, to the orcs' pleasure.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: April 05, 2004 09:30
As Randiron followed Gudrith, the other elves behind him, he smiled grimly into the darkness. Good! he thought, they'd fooled even Loryn and Haldan! If 'other' ears were on them as well, let them think Maethir had been abandoned! The leader, though, was determined! The half-elf would not be left behind!

Trusting in Gudrith's senses and worry over their companion, also gave Randiron something else to think about - other than the closeness of the tunnel. And... just that thought alone, made the ellon wince as he and Haldan had to duck under a low ceiling.

And... the leader could hear the ellon muttering under his breath behind him, but Randiron ignored it. The small group came to a place where the tunnel again branched off. "Which way?" he whispered to Gudrith, as the boy paused. "Left," was the quiet reply, and he headed confidently down the passageway.

"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2004 01:41
THey started on. Haldan hooped that they were going to get our of here.
He came to a low tunnel. Ducking, he swore under his breath, he back becoming cramped as he tried to move while crouching.
This was not helping his shoulder.
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: April 10, 2004 10:51
((pass. lol. Niphredil, were you going to play an orc captain??))
gwendeth
Send Message
on: April 15, 2004 04:11
(( Here's what Nif has sent me... and I asked about the orcs... ))

Thick blackness surrounded them. Gudrith could feel Randiron's growing nervosity. It made the boy's neck itch.

Finally the ceiling rushed up, they had reached a bigger hall. Gudrith's eyes caught a glimpse of red light in front.

"What was that?" Loryn asked, she had noticed it, too.

"Let's go that way," Randiron suggested, eager to move on. Gudrith hesitated. There was something strange there. He looked at Haldan, but the grim elf was just standing apart, he wasn't even looking at the reddish light.

"I agree. Let's go," Loryn made a few steps that way. "Any light is better that this darkness."

Gudrith couldn't disagree. He followed her and Randiron, feeling the hateful presence of Haldan behind him.
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2004 01:26
Haldan followed the company into the great chamber. They were all going ot die! If they had just stayed out of this cave, they might have had a chance. But they hadn't listened to him.
Haldan was almost sure what the light was. If he could only turn them away. But they wouldn't trust him, probably with good reason.
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: April 20, 2004 01:04
"Only a rat-of-an-elf," the orc spat contemptously at the prisoner. He peered disgustedly at Maethir's solid attempt a silent dignity. Didn't the half-shire rat know that he was going to scream for death before too long?! Not just yet though.... Not until the commander had had a look at him.
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: April 27, 2004 09:26
((Okay, last chance. If no one posts, I'm just going to write an end for this.))
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2004 01:30
((OOC: I'm going to try to get it going. If there are any inaccurasies, I apologize.))

They went towards an open dorrway. It led out onto a balcony like platform. It overlooked... "Orc sum." Haldan spat.
Under the balcony were thousands of ocs moving about a pit of fire in the middle, in which was some elliptical objest. The was a ben in the cavern below, making Haldan think that it was bigger than he saw now.
"Let's leave!" he said turning.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: April 28, 2004 02:52
"Leave?" Randir glared at the taller elf. "We are NOT going to leave! - Not without Maethir!" he said coldly, and turned to Gudrith. "The orcs have him - don't they?" he asked the boy. Gudrith winced and nodded. "Yes," he replied. "Then show us!" Randir ordered.
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2004 01:12
"Your mad!" Haldan came up to Randiron and looked into his eyes. "You'll throw your life away in a desperate and failing attempt to rescue one half elf nuisance?" Haldan snarled, his eyes blazing.
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: April 29, 2004 06:37
((Oh! You are so mean, Redwall! No, no, it's good, but golly..... lol))

Maethir was now left alone for a while. Battered and in pain, he found a few minutes to contemplate matters. He layed his head against the ground and listened for nothing in particular. Suddenly he faintly distingushed a soft elvish tread a far ways off. "No, no," he whispered. "Don't get yourselves killed...."
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2004 01:32
((Ooc: Sorry. I could tone it down a little?))

Haldan followed Randirion. They had found a passage leading into the chamber. They had sent the others back, and Randirion had ordered Haldan to follow him.
Haldan was raging. 'Why am I giving in to this lunacy?' he considered killing Randirion, but then he decided against it. It was not the right time now.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: April 30, 2004 02:19
Randiron had no illusions about their situation, and could feel Haldan's eyes burning into his back as the two moved forward. He deplored sending Gudrith back with Loryn, the boy's knowledge of the caves would have been invaluable. But still, elven senses were useful. Randiron just wished he could focus as the tunnel walls seemed to crawl in around him again.

Chamber after chamber they found, and in the distance, they could hear clangs and odd noises. And... the stench of orcs permeated through everything, adding to the unpleasantness of their travel.
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2004 01:20
After a horrible journy, with much slipping in foul smelling puddles of unknown liquid, they found a chamber that opened into the orc cavern. "In what way will we kill ourselves now, of my great leader?" Haldan sneered.
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2004 08:24
((Oh gosh, I'm really sorry about not posting in so long. When I tried to post the other day it turned out I hadn't logged in, so here I am now! Thanks for keeping me in.))

Loryn had argued about being sent back, but she knew that if they split up it would be better. Gudrith seemed a little uneasy about wandering these tunnels, but was none the less certain of where he was going and she was doing her best to keep up with him.

She thought all the tunnels looked the same, and couldn't be certain if they were going in circles, but she didnt want to disturb him, as he looked to be concentrating as he was going.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 02, 2004 07:09
(( OOC: Don't worry! Nif hasn't been able to get onto COE at all lately... computer problems and she's swamped at work, so she hasn't even been able to e-mail me a post... ))

Randiron whirled and glared at Haldan, one hand on his sword. "We aren't going to get killed," he snarled back quietly, and then smiled grimly. "Gudrith and Loryn aren't going back," he continued, "They're circling around. Gudrith knows these tunnels," the ellon said. "I - and he - know exactly where we're going! You can choose to follow - or go back yourself - but we are NOT leaving without Maethir!"

Coldly, Randiron met the taller elf's stare, nearly daring him to leave.
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2004 01:27
((Ooc: Go ahead and kill me. I knew Haldan was going to die, and since we're near the end, now's as good a time as any. Haldan really has no reason for doing this, he's just insane.))

Haldan met his gaze, and slowly drew his sword. "I'll leave, but not before you alert the whole network of tunnels that I was here." he raised his sword and struck forward.
But Randirion's sword was already there. Haldan drew back, and then jabbed at Randiron's middle. Radniron fended that off, too.
Meanwhile, the orcs were alerted to the elves, and a score were sent to find what was making the noise.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 03, 2004 05:57
(( OOC: Egads! I had no intention of killing Haldan! I'm at a loss... unless it's something you [or you and shirehobbit] had 'planned' from the beginning. ))
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 04, 2004 01:08
((Ooc: It is, actually. Surprised you, didn't it? I couldn't think of a way to make him 'good' that sounded good. We don't have to kill him now, if you don't want. I could have him killed by an orc?))
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 04, 2004 08:45
((Egads!! That's not how I planned it either, though Haldan always was going to die. Fine, though, kill him if you like.))

Maethir heard the sharp clang of steel upon steel as the swords clashed. His full attention was diverted there as he wondered what was going on between his friends. Both swords were elven metal, that was clear by their ring. The orcs chuckled evily, some moving off in the direction of the fight. A loud yell from the commander stopped them.

"Get Her," he laughed. "then we'll have some sport." He nodded in the direction of the lower caves. Most of the orcs obeyed and hurried off in the direction.

A few others dragged Maethir upright. "Thought you were gonna be saved, maybe?" a small one jeered, striking him. The half-elf ignored the blow. THe party moved towards the elves, none too stealthily.

Below the large dragon struggled against her captors, thrashing here and there. At last in a sudden twist, she freed her head and shot out a stream of fire. The orcs squealed, having never had to deal with a loose dragon before. Pleased with her freedom, she ignored their panicked dashes. She lunged forward, forcing herself into a smaller cavern.
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2004 01:26
Haldan blocked a thrust from Randiron and swiped at his head. Randiron ducked. Haldan's arms were still raised fo;r head level, putting him in a very vulnerable position.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 05, 2004 04:05
(( OOC - yes... will make it an orc... or the dragon, perhaps? 'Kinslaying' is a deep-seated abhorrance to [sane ] elves! ))

Haldan may have been slow to unsheathe his sword, but Randiron's was in his hand like lightning. There was a look in the taller ellon's eyes that left the elven-leader cold.

The clang of their blades rang out through the corridor, but the presence of orcs nearby had been forgotten as the two elves battled.
Haldan blocked a thrust from Randiron and swiped at his head. Randiron ducked. Haldan's arms were still raised fo;r head level, putting him in a very vulnerable position.

At that moment, orcs swarmed into the cavern, and both elves attention was turned to the attacking beasts.

In the not so far-away distance, Randiron caught sound of something that chilled him even further... the roar of a dragon coming closer.
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2004 01:27
((Ooc: This one doesn't talk, does it?))

Haldan swore, and started going toward the orcs. He would show them that they were wrong to fight an elf warrior.
He met the first orc, who was carrying a curved black sword.
He disbatched that one with a quick thrust.
Then he saw the dragon. A large, black, scaly beast, twenty feet high on all fours, its wings slightly unfolded.
The orcs through themselves flat against the wall.
The two elves were left standing in the middle of the chamber, exposed.
Haldna drew forth his bow. He fired two arrows at the monsters forhead.
Theybroke down the middle as if striking agaisnt hard stone.
Haldan turned and ran down the caver. The dragon was now rearing. If Haldan could just get away...
The dragon ran past Randrion, who was standing perfectly still, though he had been firing arrows at the beasts eyes a few moments before, and ran after Haldan.
Haldan reached the wall, and couldn't find the door. He had forgotten which side of the chamber had the door.
He turned. THe dragon was there, and then, Haldan was gone in a blast of fire.
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 06, 2004 06:58
((No comment, Redwall. *Folds arms and rolls eyes* BTW- I wasn't going to kill you just yet, but fine.... Hope you don't mind if I use your character a bit, gwen...))

Maethir had been dragged along by the orcs, still tied. He screamed for Haldan to turn the other way, but his words were drowned out. Everyone was silent, even the orcs. The dragon turned and all ran. Maethir managed to avoid the orcs, ducking out from the middle of the throng.

The orcs had no thought of bothering with the elves now and merely scattered before the dragon. The dragon, herself, had chosen for the moment, the orcs as her prey and followed them, ignoring the elves. Randiron yelled to Loryn and Gudrith, telling them that they must find the way out of the tunnels. Maethir stumbled forward, almost falling because of his bonds.

Randiron put his hand out to steady the half-elf and cut the ropes. "Tolo!" he called to the others. The elves obeyed.

An orc fell prey to the dragon and she got a taste of orc meat. Had she been less hungry, she would have spat it out contemptously. The elven yelling attracted her attention, as, snake-like, she swerved to find a more satifying meal.

Maethir took the lead, having some vague notion of the tunnel's direction. Randiron, Loryn, and Gudrith were quite close behind. The paths grew narrower as the neared the above ground, for it was the half-elf's thought to lose the dragon by finding tunnels too small for her.

((Note- I was planning on ending this with the whole underground sort of collapses, killing most of the "bad-guys", by the dragon trying to break out. We'll survive, though, excepting Haldan. *smirk*))
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 06, 2004 04:39
Randiron ducked and narrowly avoided hitting his head on the tunnel ceiling as he and the others followed Maethir. He came last, ever-ready to fire another arrow at the beast behind them. As much as he'd disliked their guide, the elf still shuddered inwardly at the manner of Haldan's death... and all too well he could imagine the hot flames spreading over himself, too.

Smaller and smaller the tunnel became, and Randiron desperately hoped the young half-elf knew where he was going. Gudrith, however, seemed confident, and his steps grew surer. Perhaps, Randiron thought, they just might have a chance!

(( OOC: That works for me shirehobbit!! PS: Great 'death scene', redwallreader!!! ))
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2004 01:08
((Ooc: Sorry, Shirehobbit, but I figured, since we're almost our, that it was time. I'll keep watching to see what happens.
And thank you for the compliment, Gwendeth. :blush:
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 07, 2004 10:47
(( OOC: Here's a post from NIF!!!! YAY!!! ))

Gudrith winced at the mental scream of Haldan's death. He squeezed his temples and almost fell down on his knees.

"Guddo! What's wrong?!" Loryn screamed, grabbing him and holding him up.

"Dead, he's dead..." Gudrith muttered, then looked at her with wide eyes. "We must find Randiron!"

"Who'se dead?"

Gudrith didn't answer. He wasn't going now, he was running through the caves. When they reached Randiron and Maethir, the boy caught a glimpse of the dragon. They gasped. All of a sudden Gudrith understood the strange ringing in his ears. It was from the dragon...

Randiron commanded them to leave, and thatwas exactly what everybody wished.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Burgzorg stood with his bodyguards watching the dragon on her first hunt. To his disappointment, she turned away from the elves and followed the orcs.

"Stupid orcs!" he cursed. Suddenly he caught a glimpse of a thin black-haired boy on the other side of the cave.

"Shamarrahang!!!" he yelled, and the dragon returned to him. "After them!" Turning to the orcs he ordered them to close all the exits. He was going out on a hunt.

"Whatever you do, dont kill the boy! I need him alive!"

shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 08:55
Maethir glanced right and left, his eyes darting about, seeking a sign of light. At last he noticed ahead a tiny shaft of sunlight falling through a chink in the ceiling. But though the light fell, the hole proved to be longer than expected and they were still a ways underground.

A heavy running tramp could be heard. Not the dragon, but the orcs who had reformed somewhat; there was no sign of the dragon at the moment...
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 09, 2004 03:08
"Whatever you do, dont kill the boy! I need him alive!"

An orcish yell echoed through the tunnels, sending a chill down Randiron's back. He saw Gudrith wince at ie, but as it was neither in his native elven-tongue, nor the Common Language, he couldn't understand the beasts words.

The small bit of light had encouraged him for, but for only a moment. The tunnel seemed to go on and on, and once more, the elf shivered as the closeness threatened to overwhelm him.

The sound of orcs grew nearer, and Randiron swiftly unslung his bow. He followed last in the group, ever-ready to turn and fire when... or if... the orcs drew near enough.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 10, 2004 07:22
(( OOC: Nifredil's next post!! ))

"No! Don't stop! Keep going!" Gudrith cried at Randiron, almost begging him. He was frightened. The hate was behind him, it was chasing him, it was threatening, it meant death... But he didn't want to die! Not now, not like this... Now that he had found someone who trusted him although he hadn't given them any reason to, who cared about him, although he had tried to rob them... He had to lead them out, had to escape from the Hate himself...

Suddenly Maethir froze. Gudrith bounced in him and they rolled over the edge. With a desperate yell, Randiron tried to grab them, but he was too late. They were sliding down a long tunnel With a painful bounce they hit the stony bottom of a pit. Looking up they saw orcs and wargs on the edges, their yelling was hurting their ears. Gudrith had no idea where they were, but it was a lot deeper under ground. And they were trapped.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 01:45
Randiron swore as they slid downwards. They'd been so close!... or at least so it had seemed...

They were trapped as well, and the visious eyes of the orcs above gleamed eerily. Gudrith shook in fear, and Randiron met Maethir's concerned eyes. How were they to get out of THIS fix? The walls began closing in around Randiron again as he desperately tried to think...
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: May 16, 2004 05:03
Maethir got to his feet quickly, but the steep sides of the pit made it nearly impossible for he and Gudrith to escape it. THe half-elf hastily looked around, but no route could be found. He and Gudrith backed up to eachother and turned, trying to find a way out.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2004 02:11
Gudrith looked up. His head was breaking apart from the hate and anger all around him. The boy stepped back in fear, but he had nowhere to go...

A soft hand lay on his shoulder.

"It will be all right in the end. You'll see!" Loryn said. The girl's cheek had a deep bruise over it, but she didn't seem to care.

"We will die together, if such be our destiny," she tried to comfort him.

If somebody dies, it won't be me... Gudrith thought sadly.

With a victorious yell, the hall was entered by Burgzurg and the dragon. The menacingly-looking large orc stood on the very edge of the pit and looked down. Then he burst out laughing, and the others joined him. Gudrith winced. Randiron stood straight and aimed his bow at the orc leader. With a clear sound, the arrow flew up and hit Burgzurg in the leg. The orc screamed in pain.

"Cursed elf! Get those wargs down there! ... Wait! A ladder!"

The order was immediately obeyed, and a rope ladder was lowered in the pit. The captives exchanged confused glances.

"Gudrith! Come up here!" Burgzurg called in the Common Tongue. Gudrith lowered his eyes. Maethir frowned.

"Guddo? Gudrith? What...?" the half-elf looked up at Randiron.

Before the elf could answer, Burgzurg called again: "Gudrith! Come now! You've done your job perfectly, no need to remain longer with that scum! You wouldn't want to die now with them, would you?"

Gudrith didn't look at his companions. Slowly, he walked towards the ladder. His ears were ringing.

"Guddo?" Loryn asked quietly. Gudrith shook his head and put his foot on the first step.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 26, 2004 03:47
Not for one instant did Randiron believe the orc's words. Gudrith's fear of his pursuers had been too real... to genuine for the boy to have been a willing participant. An unwitting one, perhaps, but not... Fury swept through the ellon then. How like an enemy to try and divide forces! If there was ANYONE the tall elf suspected of betraying them... but that could not - now - ever be proved, one way or the other.

As Gudrith started to climb the ladder, Randiron spoke. "Save your own skin if you wish, son of Sauron's Mouth, but know this: I - for one - do not believe that YOU are responsible for our capture."

[Edited on 26/5/2004 by gwendeth]
<< First45678
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email