Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Of Dragons and Caverns (scripted: pm to join)
on: January 07, 2004 02:21
Though he had his eyes closed, Haldan was listening. He lay perectly still, breathing regularly, but he was awake. It was good to know what was happening when you were gone, in case they plotted against you.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: January 07, 2004 02:41
Randiron was aware that Maethir was trying to get his attention, but he kept his eyes on the fire. He hated it when these memories surfaced. He was also aware, with his elven-senses, that Haldan was not truly asleep.

At length, though, he sighed and turned his attention to Maethir and Loryn, who were talking quietly. Guddo had also returned to the fire and was listening intently. Not for the first time in his long life, Randiron wished he had the gift of easy friendship with others. Somehow, he felt that if he had, that life for him would have been quite different.

Suddenly, Randiron's eyes met Guddo's, and the Elf knew. It was Guddo's mind that had shared his darkness, and drawn him back from its depths. However, instead of his first instinct to react in anger, Randiron quietly said, "Le hannon." That, in itself, was a huge departure from his usual nature.

The boy flushed then, but didn't say anything. As he finally stretched out and let himself slip into elven-sleep, Randiron wondered again if he truly wanted to know who Guddo really was.
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2004 03:14
As soon as Gudrith got himself under control, he returned to the fireplace where Randiron was gloomily staring in the fire. Loryn glanced at him, but then she turned her head away.

He felt a warm hand on his shoulder. It startled him and he jumped away, only to meet the surprised gaze of Maethir.

"I... I'm sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you. I won't do that again," the half-elf sat down. "Are you allright? I was just wandering how you felt. I know it is sometimed difficult to join a strange company and to make your way in it. Especially if it wasn't really your wish to join a group of unknown people."

And hostile people, Gudrith wanted to add, but bit in his tongue and kept it to himself. Maethir certainly didn't deserve his sharp tongue. So he just nodded.

"Guddo," Maethir moved closer to him, "what happened here? What happened to Randiron?" Gudrith didn't answer. Why should he?

"Please, tell me. I'm worried about him. Maybe if I knew I could try to find a way to help my friend."

Gudrith bliked at Meathir, surprised. Now that's something unheard!

"I'm afraid I won't be able to help you. I don't know what happened. He just... started breathing in a funny way, and staring in nowhere... and then Loryn talked to him and told him to return to the light... or something like that. Maybe she can tell you more," he looked away. He didn't intend to tell about the frightening image of a cave he had seen in Randiron's head, nor to reveal the powers he had. They had always brought him bad luck, and he really had no idea why had he used them a few moments ago.

"Thank you, my friend," Maethir was just about touching his hand, then apparently changed his mind and went over to talk to Loryn. Gudrith sighed and looked at Haldan. Maybe he should have some sleep, too?

His eyes suddenly met Randiron's. The elf's expression changed. "Hannon le," the elf said, and Gudrith was frightened as few times before. He had understood! How?!

The elf closed his eyes and seemed to fall asleep. But Gudrith couldn't close his eyes. Not that night.

[Edited on 7/1/2004 by Nifredil]
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 07, 2004 07:27
((You do fairly well with Maethir, Nifredil))

Maethir sadly felt that Gudrith was very distrustful of even him. Haldan hated him, Randiron was angry, and Loryn, well, she was very close. The half-elf disliked being shut out by everyone, and sadly stood by Jag. The horse nickered softly, nudging his master, but Maethir did not pay him much attention. Gudrith, especially, hurt him by his actions, for Randirion and Haldan had not been quite friendly with him from the start. Yet, Maethir felt that Randiron might want to be friends, but couldn't.

The half-elf knew that he was differant from the others. they were eithers elves or not, none of them only partly. Maethir sat down and stared blankly into the dark. This journey had been strange from the begining, but he would not give in. The determination of the two bloods that flowed in him would not allow this. If no one else would be optimistic or compationate, then he would. He must.

[Edited on 1/8/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2004 02:24
Unable to go to sleep when he was sure that there was no plotting, Haldan slipped off into the dark woods while everyone was looking the other way. He walked, trying to feel sleepy.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2004 03:38
It was only some time later when Gudrith realized that Haldan was gone. And even that he did when Loryn asked:

"Where is Haldan?"

Gudrith and Maethir exchanged worried glances, each out of his own reasons. The first thought that came to him was: Haldan has led them into an ambush, and now there are orcs just about to attack them! He jumped up, all his senses alert. But there were only the usual night sounds around, no menace or hate, that was always surrounding orcs... And Haldan. All of a sudden Gudrith realized that there was only a slight tension at the fireplace all of them were sitting. Randiron still was asleep, no dreams were affecting his emotions, Loryn was sad and felt lonely, and Maethir was worried and eager to help. And no hostility, even when they looked at him. Loryn even smiled, what made Gudrith want to hide away. He didn't like when somebody was smiling at him, it meant pain and trouble later. Whatever the reason of that smile.

"I believe he'll come back when he's ready for that," Maethir said, "he's done that before." When the half-elves and the boy's gazes crossed, Gudrith percepted another tender string of Maethir's emotiotions. He was feeling... couldn't quite catch it... hurt? Gudrith blinked in surprise when he understood that Maethir was feeling hurt by Gudrith! His mouth fell open, and all he could do was stare at the half-elf.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 08, 2004 02:25
Randiron woke suddenly in the middle of the night. Maethir and Loryn had fallen asleep, but Guddo was still up, staring out into the forest. Where Haldan was, he didn't know.

The Elf sighed, reached for his water-skin and took a drink. He wished he could think of something to say to Guddo. It seemed clear the boy was still suspicious of them - or - at least of him. In the only gesture he could think of, Randiron offered the water-skin to Guddo. Again, it was up to the boy to either accept it or refuse it.

shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 08, 2004 02:54
"What?" Maethir asked, seeing the strange expression on Gudrith's face. He frowned a little, then wondered. Could Gudrith be surprised by someone caring? Or did Gudrith realize that he had hurt him? Maethir turned away, slightly embarassed that his emotions were that visable. He bit his lip and looked towards the ground.
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2004 02:22
Haldan strode into camp around three in the morning, carrying a small bundle of sticks. Putting them down, he looked to see if any other members of camp were awake.

[Edited on 1/9/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2004 09:01
Loryn noticed Haldan walking back into the camp, and she sat up from where she had been sleeping.

"Did you come across anything unusual? I can only hope all of those orcs are gone for now." She spoke to him softly, so as not to wake the others if they were still asleep.

She looked over and saw that the others were indeed awake, so she could now speak freely.
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 11, 2004 07:18
((Note: I'm here and watching this thread, but it doesn't fit to have Maethir doing something, so some one else go.))
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 11, 2004 08:52
Randiron shook his head to himself, slightly amused. Whether it was because most of the group were Elves, or had Elvish blood, he didn't know, but no one seemed to sleep for long - or perhaps felt they needed much sleep.

He listened, interested at Loryn's question about the orcs, and wondered what Haldan's answer would be. Randiron closed his eyes for a moment, stretching out his Elven senses, but felt nothing - at least - nothing of orcs.

What he did feel, mostly, was a change of attitude begining within the small group - even from within himself, which surprised him a little.

Randiron cast around in his mind for something to say, again wishing he had the gift of conversation. He glanced at Maethir, standing a little apart, looking at the ground. At last, he made his mind up, rose, and walked over to the young half-elf. Keeping his voice low, Randiron asked, "What is bothering you Maethir?"

Randiron flushed a little when Maethir looked up at him, startled. Yes, it was unusual for the Elf to be concerned with others than himself, but somehow, something within this small band had shaken Randiron from his eternal self-absorption, and was sowing within him a desire to be otherwise.

[Edited on 1/12/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2004 12:58
Deep under ground narrow tunnels were swarming with life. A horde of orcs was running, their heavy footstep echoing in the passage. Nevertheless, they managed to squeeze and let a group of three pass by.

"... we are facing certain difficulties. The breeding goes well, but it is hard to keep the eggs in the same temperature all the time..." one of the three said.

"... but the most problems we have with controlling them," the other cut in. "The bigger they grow, the harder it is to make them obey our wish. There are only a couple of them that are more or less possible to manage. The others..."

The largest one, in the middle, was walking quietly, deep in his thoughts. This was getting more complicated than he had thought it would. Burgzur cursed to himself. There had to be a solution.

The three entered a wide, almost round hall. The walls were set with burning torches, but there was also splashes of light coming from a large hole in the middle of the hall. Time aftertime there were fierce yells and wild roars to be heard. Burgzur leaned over a fence that was set around the hole. Deep down there he could see seven long and shining creatures going in circles, and pieces of several orc bodies torn apart and partially eaten.

"Master?"

He turned around to face a low-headed orc waiting nearby for his attention. "What!"

"Our scouts have caught two orcs from Mordor that claim to be servants of the Mouth of Sauron. They are in the Second Hall."

Burgzur turned and strode away from his "pets" through the tunnels. In the Second Hall there was a group of his scours, half carrying, half dragging two orcs in Mordor gear. The pair looked badly wounded.

"We found them in a three-days-march from here, Master. The others were killed." One of the scouts handed Burgzur a handful of arrows.

"Elves!" Burgzur snarled and threw the arrows down as if they were poisonous. "Burn them!" he ordered.

"What were you doing in my area?" he demanded.

"We were hunting a prisoner that has escaped Mordor," the orc answered.

"Escaped Mordor? A prisoner?" Burgzur repeated ironacally. "As if Mordor were that easy to escape!" He pressed on the orc's wound, and the creature screamed. "Now, tell me the truth, or I'll have you tortured! Who are you after?!"

"The... son... of... Mouth... of Sauron...!" the orc managed to say before his body went limp.

"Gudrith?!" Bugzur couldn't believe his ears, nor his luck. Gudrith was somewhere here? The old insults burnt him again, the old hate made his hands tremble. If he had him in his power...!

"And the girl? Did you find her?" he turned to his scouts.

"No, Master, she has apparently joined the group that beat these orcs. And as far as we figured out, the person they were hunting is with them, too."

"THEN WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR! GET THEM!" he yelled. "The girl I prefer to have alive, but if you have to kill her, I will understand. Gudrith," his voice became full of dark menace, "you shall bring me alive. Whether he's well - doesn't matter. Sent three more groups! And..." he turned to his servants," kill these two," pointing at the wounded orcs. He dismissed the scouts and went to his personal chambers. The others did their best not to get in his way - they got shivers from the evil smile Burzug wore on his ugly face.

[Edited on 12/1/2004 by Nifredil]
In the Realm of Ulmo
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2004 02:24
Oblivious to the turmoil beneath him, Hladan looked at the others, his face expresionless. "What buissness is it of yours?" he asked cooly. "No, there was nohing of Orcs." he said, his voice almost devoid of anger.

[Edited on 1/12/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 12, 2004 10:00
"Haldan," Maethir said, barely above a whisper. "Yes, and Loryn. They are not as they should be. I don't know why or what, but I wish I could help them. And Guddo. He doesn't trust anyone and why should he? Orcs cannot be anything but filth, but we were not overly welcoming."

Maethir fell silent as he could feel his emotions taking strong hold. He didn't want Randiron to see him cry, but he felt like it when he looked over towards Gudrith, Loryn, and Haldan. There was so much pain there.

Maethir was looking at the fire when it seemed that something hit him. He took a step backwards. Shadow circled in around him and the figures of his friends dimmed. He squinted hard, then he saw. Hordes of orcs massed in a dark cavern, lit only by their torches. It seemed he was standing in the cavern, but they didn't see him. The half-elf shut his eyes, willing himself to leave. When he opened his eyes, the camp was as it had been, but the picture of what he had seen wouldn't leave his mind. Maethir looked at Randiron, silently asking him if he had seen anything.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 12, 2004 02:19
"Haldan," Maethir said, barely above a whisper. "Yes, and Loryn. They are not as they should be. I don't know why or what, but I wish I could help them. And Guddo. He doesn't trust anyone and why should he? Orcs cannot be anything but filth, but we were not overly welcoming."

Randiron nodded at Maethir's words. No, they had not welcomed Guddo, that was certain; Loryn had barely arrived when they had been beset by the orcs; and... Haldan... Haldan was a mystery.

Then, the rest of Maethir's words sunk in. Why would Loryn not 'be as she should'?

Randiron, however, had no time to ponder further when Maethir suddenly stumbled backwards. The Elf reached out a hand to steady the young half-elf, and felt... felt... something... dark.

When he saw the silent plea in Maethir's eyes, he shook his head. He had never 'shared' thoughts with anyone - until - but no, it had been Guddo who had 'seen' his memory, not Maethir. Randiron shot a quick glance at the boy, but his back was turned to them.

And then, the Elf did something that was completely unlike him. He squeezed Maethir's shoulder, offering what comfort he could, and then, speaking so softly that even the other Elves could not hear him, Randiron asked, "What did you 'see', mellon nín?" He knew the youngster had 'seen' something, but what? For, whatever it was, the Elf knew it couldn't be good, and he... they - all of them - needed to know what it was. Randiron desparately hoped Maethir would trust him enough to share it.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2004 11:09
Gudrith was standing and staring gloomily in the clear blue sky above. He had the feeling that black clouds were gathering above him, but there was no sign of a single smoke. It was a memory that had come to life again, a memory of deep black hate and overwhelming pain...

He shook his head trying to get rid of the vision of the past, but Mordor stood cleary before his eyes, as did screams in his ears. The boy rubbed his temples. He had hoped he had left it behind. But his past kept hunting him. Once again, he caught himself thinking about leaving life...

He felt darkness a moment before Haldan returned to the camp, so he wasn't surprised by his arrival. He heard the elf's rude answer to the question Loryn had asked, and it made him frown. He didn't like it.

Loryn seemed hurt and lowered her head. Then she sat to preparing breakfast, and Gudrith followed a sudden impulse to help her. She smiled at the boy sadly and gave him a knife and a piece of meat to cut. Gudrith stared at the knife in his hand and shook it slightly. It reminded him...

Loryn's sadness depressed him, and he murmured quietly:

"Don't pay too much attention at him, OK?" Meeting Loryn's gaze, his own eyes lost the coldness that was usually in them, his expression softened. For a moment he almost got back into the tenderness he had felt towards his mother, but then turned away. He risked to become vulnerable. He started chopping the meat to avoid uneasy questions and hoped she hadn't noticed. That nobody had noticed.
In the Realm of Ulmo
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 13, 2004 03:18
Maethir felt the hand on his shoulder, then turned to look at Randiron. He smiled a little; it felt, well it was hard to explain, but someone actually cared about what had happened to him. It was this that made Maethir feel the need to trust Randiron. He pictured what he had seen in his mind and closed his eyes.

"There was a large cavern filled with orcs. They were yelling in the black speach some evil chant, then a large orc stepped foreward. He spoke I know not what, but it seemed that they were looking for certain things........ or people." The young half-elf stopped and looked at Randiron. "That is all. But I have felt something like this for awhile now."
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2004 02:20
Hladan turned his back on the rest of the group. It was all rather sickening to Haldan. He idily stocked the fire, fiddling with different objects and waiting for the time when they could set out.
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2004 07:20
Loryn frowned at Haldan's answer. She wondered why he would have any reason to speak rudely to her, and was a bit hurt by his answer.

"Don't pay too much attention at him, OK?"

Loryn looked up, surprised, and her eyes met those of Gudrith. She noticed that a smile was making its way onto his face, but suddenly he turned back to his work and left her wondering what was wrong.

"Thank you," she said, continuing to work at the breakfast they were making. "There's just so many feelings going around this camp, and a lot of dislike here."

She wondered why he was so nervous always. She glanced out of the corner of her eye at Maethir and Randiron talking as she thought she heard her name, but shook it off as just her imagination.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 14, 2004 10:32
"There was a large cavern filled with orcs. They were yelling in the black speach some evil chant, then a large orc stepped foreward. He spoke I know not what, but it seemed that they were looking for certain things........ or people." The young half-elf stopped and looked at Randiron. "That is all. But I have felt something like this for awhile now."

Randiron felt a chill run through him at Maethir's words. Not only the orcs, but the word 'cavern' threatened to resurrect the memories he had again hidden away.

He nodded to himself, thanked Maethir, and then turning around the the others, announced, "As soon as we have eaten we will continue on." He met Haldan's glare steadily when the Elf turned to look at him. If Haldan wanted to act that way, so be it, he thought.

And then, Randiron joined Guddo and silently finished helping prepare the meat for roasting. As he worked, the Elf kept throwing glances at Loryn, though, and wished he could think of something to say that would help ease the elleth's mind.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 12:05
Guddo barely noticed Randiron's approach. He concentrated on Haldan, trying to get deeper in his feelings, trying to reach... But in vain. Haldan seemed to block everything that could come too near him. And the only thing he let out of him was hate.

Haldan's gaze burnt Gudrith's back, and the boy cast a swift look over his shoulder. For an instance their eyes met, and it felt like two blades of steel would clasp, sending sparkles forth. Gudrith almost cut his hand with the knife he held. He had been living among and in hate all his life, many had looked upon him with fear and hate or anger and hate. But never with disdain he saw in Haldan's fiery gaze. All the pride of the rightful heir to the domain of the Mouth of Sauron arose in him, his expression hardened. In an effort to keep his own feelings under control, Gudrith's hands trembled. He closed his eyes and lowered his head. He felt that both Randiron and Loryn had noticed the change and made himself meet Randiron's gaze. But he didn't manage to hide a fague reflexion of the wild nature he kept hidden deep inside.

"Randiron," he began slowly, doubting in the result of his request, "would you mind if I asked to have my knife back?" He hoped that the elf wouldn't ask for the reason of this request. "I don't mean to kill you in your sleep, in case you are wondering," he added.
In the Realm of Ulmo
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 02:25
Haldan got up and walked a little was into the forest and sat down, closing his eyes. He couldn't stand to hear them talk any more!
He fell asleep as the time passed.
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 07:57
After speaking to Randiron, Maethir stayed very quiet. He didn't leave the others, but rather shut them out, although he didn't realize this. This was very unlike him, because normally he was very interested in the people around him; now he barely noticed them. He was thinking, thinking very hard. For some reason, the cavern seemed vaguely familiar, as though he'd seen it before, but he didn't know why. Something made him look up and stare at Gudrith. Maethir watched him. The young half-elf trusted him completely, but now, more than ever, thought that there was something very important that they didn't know about the boy. Maethir continued to stare at the boy for a while onger, before he returned his gaze to the ground.

[Edited on 1/15/2004 by Tasar_Took_Nualda]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 16, 2004 04:03
Randiron eyed Guddo keenly for a few minutes. Trust, he thought, went both ways. The Elf knew that for the boy to trust him - them, that he must do the same.

Randiron nodded slowly and went to his pack where he had stashed Guddo's Knife. Without speaking, Randiron handed it over. There was a flash of something in Guddo's eyes, but whether it was relief... or appreciation, the Elf wasn't sure.

Then, he went and sat next to Loryn, who was sitting by the fire. He bit his lip, and, unable to think of anything else to say, he commented, "The meat will be ready soon." The Elleth, however, just nodded sadly.

Trying again, Randiron said, "Loryn, is there anything else - anything - that you can remember from the Warg attack that would help us?" For somehow, the Elf was getting the feeling that this mission was going to be much more than they had all thought. Unbidden, Maethir's description of the orc-filled cavern came to his mind again, and, unable to stop himself, Randiron shuddered.

[Edited on 16/1/2004 by gwendeth]

[Edited on 16/1/2004 by Gilraen]
elfgirl555
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2004 07:11
"Loryn, is there anything else - anything - that you can remember from the Warg attack that would help us?"

Loryn thought for a minute, thought about what had seemed strange to her that day. Something had seemed different.

"I don't know," she said slowly, "but it all seemed...too planned, like this had been thought of beforehand. Not just another warg attack. It was as if they were looking for something, it was calculated and organized, distinctly different from other attacks."
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2004 02:19
"This was no random attack. I know. This is war!" Haldan said, with contmpt in his voice.
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 19, 2004 02:51
Maethir looked directly at Haldan when the elf said this. "Do you know this? How?" The half-elf's typical questioning nature quickly rose to the top. Haldan ignored him, but Maethir persisted. "You must tell us, you must help." He couldn't understand why some one would not care to help if they possibly could. Ignored by everyone, Maethir retreated to his former place. Randiron was busy with Loryn and Maethir rationalized that his ignoring was unintentional, but Haldan was trying to and Gudrith; his coldness cut deep, especially Maethir tried so hard...
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2004 03:24
"I know because I do!" Hladan's voice came suddenly. "I know many things that I should not know." His face was strange looking. He had an odd expresion on his face.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 19, 2004 09:21
"I don't know," Loryn said slowly, "but it all seemed...too planned, like this had been thought of beforehand. Not just another warg attack. It was as if they were looking for something, it was calculated and organized, distinctly different from other attacks."

Randiron nodded, and though he heard Haldan's comment, for the moment, he didn't respond. His mind was swirling and he couldn't seem to make sense of anything. A planned attack by warg-riders. The orc-filled cavern that Maethir had 'seen'. The attack on their small band. But... - and then the Elf remembered something. The orcs had been after Guddo - not them!

Randiron turned to look at the boy again through narrowed eyes, and though Guddo's back was turned to him, Randiron was completely sure that Guddo could sense it. Something started to worm itself into the back of his mind, something from when he realized that Guddo had 'shared' his memory... but... for some unknown reason, it kept itself hidden...
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 01:50
Gudrith was about to finish his breakfast when he knew that Randiron was looking at him again. He had learned to tell the difference between the looks of his companions. Usually Randiron's eyes were not as kind as Maethir's but the boy didn't sense danger in them either.

This time was different. It felt like Randiron was trying to get something out of him, and it made Gudrith want to hide. But then... Randiron had given his knife back and didn't even demand any promises or give warning looks. It had been slightly confusing. But it felt a lot better now, to have a weapon.

It was Haldan that worrie him the most now. There was something dark in him, something Gdrith didn't like at all, something that scared him. And this sudden outburst, and his words about having seen too much... It gave him shivers.

"Allright!" came Randiron's call. "Let's get moving! We can't sit here all day."

Gudrith let Loryn put out the fire and mounted Jag just after Maethir had done it. Actually, he prefered to ride with the young half-elf. It somehow seemed he could relax in his company, at least a bit. Maethir wouldn't attack him unexpectedly and treacherously, would he?
In the Realm of Ulmo
redwallreader
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 02:14
Haldan, anxious to go, had his horse ready to go in seconds.
He took a place near the head of the company.
shirehobbit
Hobbit at Heart
Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 02:45
Maethir went back to normal a little more as they began riding again. He smiled at the impatient Jag's antics, yet quietly kept him still. The troop journied onward, Haldan ever guiding them silently. Maethir kept careful track of their direction and tried to mentally place themselves on a map. When he could, he was surprised. Why would they head towards the mountains? The half-elf had thought that they would avoid these and head north, but instead they were headed directly for the mountains. Slowly, he dropped back to tell Randiron this.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 05:44
Randiron nodded at Maethir's quiet words. The Elf had been well aware of their direction. He had visited the Grey Mountains before, but a long time ago. That Maethir also recognized it though, raised Randiron's opinion of the half-elf.

Whispering back, Randiron said, "Show no sign - yet. We must watch carefully. Let him think we are following him blindly." And, although something was still 'percolating in the back of his mind, he included Guddo in that caution.

For now, Randiron was also truly beginning to wonder about their guide. Although... and this also worried the Elf... Hîr Elrond had 'commanded' that Haldan guide them. If the Lord of Rivendell didn't trust the tall Elf, why else would he have been sent with them?

Setting his face in stone, Randiron urged Nauren slightly forward, leaving Maethir and Guddo to bring up the rear of their small band. He definately wanted to keep an eye on their guide!

Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 01:55
Gudrith felt at unease. Something was wrong, he felt being hunted again. Shivers were going up and down his spine, there was a troubling heaviness in his stomack, he kept fingering his black dagger just to make sure he still had it. Was that the reason he had felt the need to get it back?

Maethir cast a glance over his shoulder, there was a worried expression on his face.

"Is anything wrong?" the half-elf asked.

"I'm not completely sure about it, but I have a feeling... Don't you?" Gudrith looked at him closely. Maethir nodded.

"Do you know the reason for it?"

Gudrith turned his gaze away. He did. But did the others, too? He kept quiet. Again, Maethir's hurt echoed sharply in Gudrith's own heart. How he wished he would be able to shut out the others' feelings!

"They are coming after us... after me," he finally forced out. The hurt Maethir had felt turned into a leap of joy. Gudrith winced.

"Why?" Maethir continued questioning. Gudrith moved uneasily in the saddle. Was the half-elf just pretending to be completely ignorant or he really didn't know?

"Well..." Gudrith tried to think of a way out, when Randiron called Maethir. With a sigh of regret the half-elf urged Jag forward to line up with Randiron. Gudrith looked back at Loryn. The elleth seemed not to notice anything around, deep in her own thoughts.

"I just noticed a couple of crebain flying over us. I think they might spy on us. What do you think?" Randiron was nervous.

Maethir looked up. He hadn't noticed anything while he was talking to Gudrith.

"I think we should be more careful. We should expect an attack, for worst."

"I agree," Randiron nodded. "Now, let's catch Haldan." He rode faster forward.
In the Realm of Ulmo
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email