Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Post RE: ROTK EE - All Discussion, News, Trailers, etc.
on: October 17, 2004 02:59
Actually, I'm going to agree with Figwit and Aervir. I'd rather see Saruman using that insidious voice of his than throwing fireballs or whatever, if that does turn out to be the case.

As for Faramir and Eowyn I'd say this is an early shot, before she realizes he's a really nice dude and she could, like, be totally into him (sorry, can't help myself--)

I'm just glad Aragorn and the Palantir are getting in the movie. If they put it in the wrong spot I can live with that.
Lady_of_Edoras
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2004 04:56
I just saw it. I think it all looks awsome. I think it's a bit too soon to be dissapointed with anything, because we really don't know how far into the scenes any of the clips were. With Saruman, he might already have used his voice.
I think the Mouth of Sauron looks really creepy. I like how they completely modeled his appearance around his mouth, that was really clever on PJ's part. But is it me, or does the Mouth of Sauron look a little bit like one of those guys from 'Hellraser'?
Anyways, can't wait till december! :disco:
Melmë
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2004 05:03
I just saw the clip for RotK EE. And I think it looks amazing. The scene with Saruman and the fireball might not be how I would have imagined it. But I'm really excited :disco: and I can't wait to finally see the EE in december
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2004 12:00
I just had a chance to download the trailer as well as clip of Merry offering his sword to Theodan. I must say that from the very little I have seen that I am in no way disappointed. I am very much looking forward to the EE. It seems a bit early to prejudge based on a few seconds of scenes from here and there.
1. Saruman - I think in the EE this scene is several minutes long so there's no telling from this clip how much he says, to whom, to what effect
2. Mouth of Sauron - again this is a tiny snippet of the full scene, which I think will be unbelievably shattering to the characters that are Frodo's friends
3. Eowyn and Faramir - another very small clip. They 'meet' several times while in the Houses of Healing before she warms up to him in the books. The scene in the movie could be a blending of those moments.
4. Merry and Theoden is much as I thought it would be.

Two months from now we'll know enough to make less 'hasty' judgements, won't we?

LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: October 17, 2004 12:33
These bits have made me very excited again for Dec. I think they're too short to make any judgements, though I'm not too crazy about the fireball from Saruman.
I was happy to see Aragorn showing Sauron his sword in the palantir and to see the Mouth of Sauron showing the mithril coat. Yes!! I really missed that in the movie. Puts Aragorn's "For Frodo" into context.

can't wait to get my hands on it in December! :disco:
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: October 17, 2004 10:16
Well, the reason why the Saruman bit disappointed me is simply because what you see is - yet again - a giant fireball. And I've sort of had it with those.

Saruman's strength is not in magic, it's in his voice. That was why I thought Christopher Lee is perfectly cast. Just as Gandalf is more of a strategic genious than a 'conjurer of cheap tricks', Saruman is very sly, using arguments to pursuade his audience: this is a very important message Tolkien gives, about forming your own opinion, mass media even, propaganda...

It doesn't matter if he uses his voice before or after. The simple fact that once again there needs to be a big flash of light - if only it's when Gríma throws the palantír in the water - gives me the shivers.
LinweSingollo
Send Message
on: October 18, 2004 05:17

I do hope that they take Merry and Éowyn off the battlefield in front of the Black Gate if they are going to put in The Houses of Healing. Maybe Merry won’t be in the Houses of Healing ~ no he has to be because he's riding behind Éowyn in front of the Black Gate. That didn’t initially bother me because I hadn’t read that part in the book yet but it really bothers me now.

I’d love to see Ioreth.

Eowyn wasn't in front of the Black Gate, she's back at the Houses of Healing. Merry is riding behind Eomer at the Black Gate. I wish Merry had been left behind in the Houses of Healing, too, and I'd love to see Ioreth.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: October 19, 2004 11:45
I'm pretty sure Linwe is right about Merry riding behind Eomer at the Black Gate....but I'm kind of glad in a way that PJ put him there, his reaction shot to Orodruin blasting open is fantastic.
See, I'm not a total purist. I can put up with some changes.

I'm really going to miss discussing/disecting and agonizing over these spoiler shots....luckily, there are other movies that I love to dig up spoilers on...

[Edited on 10/19/2004 by Aowyn]
EruanwenSaeriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2004 12:00
lol, I just watched it... and is it just me, or does the Mouth of Sauron look something like a Knight who says 'Ni'?

Boy that's an obscure reference - I laughed out loud. I didn't like the look of the Mouth of Sauron either - he was a man, not a monster (though probably a very ugly one). I also didn't like the way Aragorn looked at the Palantir - I envisioned that as a much "gentler" confrontation, more a battle of the minds. But I will reserve judgement on all - have to see it in context.

The Houses of Healing scene made me want to see this movie very badly indeed. I hope PJ stays true to the notion that Faramir quietly brings Eowyn out of her funk and they fall in love quietly and slowly and deeply.

I can hardly wait.
LinweSingollo
Send Message
on: October 19, 2004 12:36

Boy that's an obscure reference - I laughed out loud. I didn't like the look of the Mouth of Sauron either - he was a man, not a monster (though probably a very ugly one). I also didn't like the way Aragorn looked at the Palantir - I envisioned that as a much "gentler" confrontation, more a battle of the minds. But I will reserve judgement on all - have to see it in context.

The Houses of Healing scene made me want to see this movie very badly indeed. I hope PJ stays true to the notion that Faramir quietly brings Eowyn out of her funk and they fall in love quietly and slowly and deeply.

I can hardly wait.

hi, Eruanwen! I guess I pictured him as more of a man, too, but maybe this is a way of showing his corruption. I'm just glad he's included.

And 'Amen' to what you said about the Faramir and Eowyn scene. I hope it's not rushed.

You're right, Aowyn, I forgot about Merry's reaction to Orodruin blasting open. It is great!

[Edited on 19/10/2004 by LinweSingollo]
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2004 12:59
good, but too much fire. 1) Saruman... flaming... something... erhp. 2) WK's sword? Flame? Eep not make sense!!

Uhhh, I know that doesn't make a load of sense...

And Knights who say 'ni' is not an obscure reference. Really it's not... But the mouth of Sauron doesn't look like one to me. Should have looked like one, but didn't.

But I really shouldn't judge until december...
EruanwenSaeriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 05:09
Just watched the trailer again. I think the added scenes will be awesome. I can hardly wait to see all the other stuff too - the documentaries, the commentaries. I miss everyone at Weta. Their website is still "under construction." I want to have a look and have been checking for months. Does anyone know why or when it might be "up" again?

And Hi Linwe - glad to see you are still actively watching the threads. I can't imagine the movie being without the Mouth of Sauron or the Houses of Healing so I am very glad they are in the EDVD. Even if I don't agree with the Mouth of Sauron's looks, it is important he be there. Again, it was only a snippet - I might change my mind when I see the whole thing.

The confrontation between the Witch King and Gandalf looks awesome too, and Aragorn's view of the fleet is also awesome. Cinematography and CGI blended perfectly.
Aervir
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 01:31

The confrontation between the Witch King and Gandalf looks awesome!

I'll second that! I just hope they keep all the great dialogue from The Siege of Gondor... *fangirls the Witch-King*
The cinematography of this scene was quite well-done, too, IMHO, and it stays close enough to the books to satisfy my purism and keep me from making any hasty judgements about that snippet as well.

[Edited on 20/10/2004 by Aervir]
LinweSingollo
Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 01:48
I also didn't like the way Aragorn looked at the Palantir - I envisioned that as a much "gentler" confrontation, more a battle of the minds. But I will reserve judgement on all - have to see it in context. ~ Linwe
I agree Linwe

oops, Ruby, that's not me you're quoting, but EruanwenSaeriel!

[Edited on 20/10/2004 by LinweSingollo]
EruanwenSaeriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2004 05:02
Whoops, my apologies EruanwenSaeriel :blush: I'll edit that post.

Thanks Linwe for pointing that out to me.

No problemo - Linwe's a buddy - you can mistake her for me any time!
Aervir
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2004 01:08
There is another trailer for the EE here. You have to click with the right mousekey on one of hdr-online links and choose save target as... from the menu in order to download (Real-Player only). More Witch-King! Go, Witch-King, go! But, alas, an extended version of the Paths of the Dead that sadly reminded me of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade -- I know that, hoom, hoom, it's one of my hasty judgements, but I can't help it.
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2004 01:35
now if only I could properly read German. At least I'm pretty sure that's german... *tries to find preview on comp*
Aervir
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2004 11:22

I don't see anything about the Paths of the Dead. Or is that a different download than the hdr-online links?

Hmm, that's strange, Ruby. I'm very sorry that it didn't work! So I'll try to provide clear instructions: You follow the link in my post above, and then you see a page with a post called Weiteres SEE video! (i.e. Another video clip from the Extended Edition). There is a list of the trailer's properties, and just above the picture with the Fell Beast there are three different links in the category Download: If you click on either one (I chose the first link, BTW) with the right key on your mouse and choose save target as, you can download it to your PC and then watch it on Real Player. And I've just checked, it's not the same as the video on the official website. It's a 5-minute preview by Amazon.com, and it does include an extended clip from the Paths of the Dead. Curiouser and curiouser...

Slina
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2004 05:40
I just watched it, and it was great! Thanks for the link! December seems so far away...
Keitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2004 10:51
I remember reading an article where Orlando mentioned a gag reel that they had made for the cast/crew. Any chance this will be on the EE?
Lady_Eowyn2000
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2004 12:07
Hey Guys!
Quick question. Ok can anyone tell me what the ROTKEE preview on the offcial site was like and what stuff in consisted of? Cause I don't have qiucktime but however I did watch another preview thing and I was wondering if they were the same thing. Thank you.

Lady Eowyn
Nevaratoiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2004 10:44
I'm just hoping for more Legolas... and also more scenes with Legolas AND Gimli. :heart:
~Nev~
Aldariel22
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2004 12:36
Hello Eveyone

Hope I am not being repeatative, but I thought it would be nice to have a collected list...I was wandering is anyone wanted to hear...er...read some spoilers of the new scenes on the Extended Edition DVD/VHS of Return of the King, because as a fellow LOTR Fanatic I know I would if I didin't already know!
...Woah, that was a weird sentence, it looks wrong...oh well!

So yeah, where was I? Ah, yes, the list of Spoilers. I guess that many of you may ahve already heard about some of these.I found them on TORn (theonering.net), which is also where I learned about neldoreth.com. So thanks TORn!

Additional scenes expected to appear in the Extended Edition are:
1. The long-awaited confrontation with Saruman at Orthanc which was cut from the theatrical edition. At the end of this confrontation, Saruman is killed by Grima, who pushes him, causing him to fall and impale himself on a spiky wheel. (An image of Saruman impaled has been floating around for a few years). This scene is an homage to Christopher Lee, who has appeared in numerous Dracula and other horror films in his long career, dating back to 1948.
2. Grima’s death. Legolas shoots Grima at Orthanc.
3. Merry swearing allegiance to King Theoden. Merry’s role is expanded in several scenes in the Extended Edition.
4. A scene between Aragorn and Eowyn, in her bedroom at Edoras. Many people seeing this image on the Internet believed it was set in the Houses of Healing.
5. A drinking game at Edoras involving Legolas and Gimli.
6. A conversation between Eomer and Eowyn that gives us insight into their relationship.
7. Aragorn explains Pippin’s flight.
8. A conversation between Elrond and Arwen , again giving us insight into their relationship.
9. Footage of Aragorn with the palantir.
10. Much more footage from the journey through the Paths of the Dead. In one spectacular scene, skulls rain down on Aragorn. Aragorn leaves the Kingdom of the Dead without an answer to his question, “What say you?”
11. Legolas consoles Aragorn after they leave the Paths of the Dead, placing his hand on Aragorn’s shoulder. (This image has also been floating around for a few years, and has been the subject of caption contests.)
12. There is much more background on the black ships of the Corsairs. The Army of the Dead arrive and conquer the Corsairs. Look closely and you will see a lot of cast and WETA production crew members in these fight scenes. (Remember that Peter Jackson’s cameo in the theatrical version was as a Corsair.)
13. Expanded conversation between Gandalf and Pippin in Minas Tirith, including Gandalf’s explanation of significance of The White Tree.
14. A conversation between Pippin and Faramir.
15. Expanded treatment of the Siege of Gondor (could this get any bigger?) including more battering rams, more Orcish machinery, and more about the defense and taking of the White City. More decapitated heads are launched from catapults. Oliphants charge into the walls of Minas Tirith.
16. The long-awaited encounter between Gandalf and the Witch King. The Witch King’s sword bursts into flame. Gandalf’s staff is broken. Gandalf is shown rescuing Faramir.
17. Eomer finds Theoden dead on the battlefield, then finds the wounded Eowyn. He is overcome with grief.
18. Pippin finds Merry on the battlefield at night, after a day-long search. A much longer scene than in the theatrical edition.
19. Gorbag is shown taking Frodo’s possessions from him.
20. In the Houses of Healing, Eomer and Aragorn talk.
21. Aragorn is shown walking in the throne room in Minas Tirith.
22. More footage of Frodo and Sam in Mordor, including their marching with orcs and Sam discarding his pots and pans.
23. The long-waited Mouth of Sauron comes out of the Gates of Mordor to confront Aragorn and his forces, displaying the items taken from Frodo. The Mouth character is blind, just a mouth. (This presence of this scene helps explain Aragorn’s battle cry, “For Frodo!”)
24. Merry and Pippin despair on the battlefield after seeing Frodo’s clothes and mithril vest.

After reading all these I only have on word that can express my emotions, and that word is WOOT!!! . December 14 will be an Awesome day! I have a field trip to NYC on Dec. 13th and I don't intend on going to school on Dec 14th. I have a strange feeling that I will be getting a severe case Stay-at-home-from-school-to-watch-LOTR-itis !

Well, I think that all. If anyone wants to get a more detailed report of a certain scene then post, I may have more info on it. If I don't, I'll be happy to search the net for it.

Lossendiliel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 27, 2004 04:22
Oh, I can't wait to it comes out, all those extra scenes!!

There is a lot that doesn't make sense for those who haven't read it, for example as you all said the part about Faramir and Eowyn fall in love...

BTW, if anyone else in here are from Denmark, I can give you the big joy of telling ya (if you don't already know), that the EE of ROTK will come out 4 days before in Denmark, than in the rest of the world, aka the 10th of December. Beeing a friday, I know what I'm gonna do the whole weekend!!
Aldariel22
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2004 12:24
Hey all!

Found an article on theonering.net and although we know a lot of what it says already, I thought it would hurt to put it up.

A ROTK:EE Review!
Xoanon @ 10:51 pm EST
Anonymous writes: I don't know if I'm at the right address, but I've recently seen the brand-new extended cut of The Return of the King, in my professional capacity, and I thought I'd let know you know about it. I had seen the theatrical version once in the theatre, and two more times with my kids, and I must admit that the longer cut is far superior, for it ties everything you could consider loose-ends, it extends what you thought what great, and it adds awesome new scenes. Many characters benefit from this extended cut, but Faramir, Denethor, Eowyn and Merry really stand out.

After having watched the extended version, my favorite character became Denethor. His new scenes gave him such depth that I couldn't help but wonder why in the world they had to cut them. We learn more about Denethor than about any other character, in my opinion, and that's saying a lot. We learn new things about him not only from his extended and new scenes, but from Faramir, which I thought was a nice touch. Also, I must credit the actor who played Denethor for the coolest line in the whole trilogy: In this extended cut, when he learns that the first levels of the city are in flames and that the men are deserting them, he says something like 'Why do the fools fly? They should stand and burn, for burn they must.' Awesome. Oh, and he has a heated exchange of words with his son that stand out because it's very dramatic. It even reintroduces Sean Bean as Borimir in a most unexpected way!:love: (Side note: I love Sean Bean! WOOT! He is in a new movie, National Treasure, coming out Nov. 19! It also has Nicholas Cage in it! WOOT WOOT!! *raises the roof repeatedly* I LOVE YOU BOROMIR!!)

The House of Healing is back in as well, which is good, because it allows you to breath a little between the two big battles of the movie. Aragorn shows his healing skills, which allow us to realize that he IS really fitted to be king, and not just a wannabe. This new segment also has tender moments between Faramir and Eowyn while they're recovering from their battle wounds, which serves a nice conclusion for both characters and allow the actors who play them to shine.(Side note2: GOOD! For the longest time after the movieTwo Towers and reading the book, I just couldn't see Eowyn and Faramir together. Then what do ya know, ROTK come along and they look so cute together and I *finally* understand how aewsome they are together and they are on the screen for about 2 seconds!!!....that really wasn't so much a side note as ranting, was it?)

Of course you must have heard by now that Saruman has been reinserted into the movie, but let me tell you, you're in for a treat! The sequence is over five minutes in lenght but I would have taken more...Saruman tries to rally Gandalf once again to his cause, but Gandalf doesn't fall in the trap. Also, Gandalf finally gets the chance to establish himself as the ruling wizard of Middle earth, when he says something like 'I am not Gandalf the Grey whom you betrayed, I am Gandalf the White and I cast you out of the order.' From this point the sequence takes a dramatic turn and you're on the edge of your seat until Saruman meets his fate. A sticky fate that turns him to dust!

A new character is introduced in the extended version: the Mouth of Sauron. He comes out of the black gate riding a huge black horse and basically he speaks for his master (who is after all a huge flaming eye!). The Mouth taunts the members of the fellowship and makes them believe Frodo has died after endless torture. He has particularly gruesome words for Aragorn.

What more can I say without dragging too long? The Paths of the Dead become Indiana Jones-like with new perils and booby-traps, there is a fight sequence with some pirates which was cool, because it shows you how Aragorn was able to take over the whole fleet of ships that bring him to Minas Tirith, Frodo and Sam's journey becomes so much more dramatic and their trip across the burning lands of Mordor is extended a lot, there is a whole lot more to learn about the backstory of Minas Tirith, Aragorn confronts his archenemy Sauron in the flaming palantir and Gandalf even faces a new challenge when the mighty witch-king lands in front of him and confronts him (a sequence you must see before you die, it's simply too cool).

I think the reason I wanted to put this up here is that even if this doesn't name all the extended/new scenes, it is good to hear such a positive review from another fan/person instead of just reading a list.

Well, my peeps, I'm Out!:evil:
Ta!
ithilienstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2004 12:09
Hi everyonel! :wave: I'm new here. This is such a amazing site! :rolling: I'm so thrilled to be a member.
Warning: Spoilers Ahead.[b][/b]
I was browsing through the web when I found a load of new ROTK EE pictures at a cool site. Check out http://www.rotk-see.de.vu/[i][/i]
Hope you like! If you have problems accessing the site let me know.
Aldariel22
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2004 01:32
Holy Sh-...er...Lembas Bread!!!

I think I speak for almost everyone when I say: Thank you ithilienstar for that website! So many great pics...:love:Boromir!!!! :love:Woot! Oh by the way I'm knew here to and my to post are the really long ones on this page!

Ta!:heart:
lotr_freak17
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2004 07:13
Great website ithilienstar. December 14th is just to far away.
Shadow_fax
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2004 03:08
Hi Ithilienstar and Aldariel22 :wave: Yes this is a great site....the best!

Oh my, Ithilienstar - excellent pics! And the one of Faramir holding Eowyn D-R-E-A-M-Y!!!

:disco: I just can't wait for the release in December! :disco:
50 minutes of extended scene Heaven!! :love:
PrincessOfIthilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2004 04:05
um.....I am very glad of FaramirNEowyn of cousre.....but I just hate the way they pictured the starry mantle Faramir gave Eowyn......as I saw it in the Gallery in CoE,I just panic...It's just like a cloth with some 40's white dots on it!!!!!:cry:
Slina
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2004 07:12
I'm hoping this is on topic. I have the Lotr piano books, and one of the songs in the Rotk book is called 'Use Well the Days'. I heard someone say that it was in the EE or something. Does anyone know anything about that? I can post the lyrics if anyone's curious.
i_luv_orlando_b
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2004 05:14
What day is it released?
Aldariel22
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2004 06:39
You mean the extended edition, right?

US-December14(WEEE!)
Denmark-December 10(BOO! Not fair! )
UK-December 10(see Denmark )

Hope this helps

[Edited on 29/10/2004 by Aldariel22]
ethuiliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2004 07:20
I do believe that most (or all) of Europe gets it the 10th, while we Americans have to wait for extra days AND miss a weekend.

NOT FAIR!!!!!:cry::cry::cry:
Lossendiliel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 30, 2004 04:39
Darn, I thought that for once in history, Denmark would be lucky....:cry::cry::cry:

Well, at least we get it before the States... Go Europe!!

Nah, feel sorry for you that you have to wait for it!:heart:

OMG, I love those pics... So cool that Sean Beans in it, he's soo cool as Boromir...

Those were really great, thanks for the link, ithiliensta
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email