Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First56789Last >>
Author Topic:
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Newbie Pub (free to join, especially for those who are new to roleplaying)
on: March 28, 2004 01:33
Cwen gave Rupert her full attention as he launched into his sad tale. His straightforward and plainspoken narrative was presented in typical hobbit style, which only served to make it that much more touching. The terrible pain of losing his beloved wife Miranda was only too plain for all to see and Cwen's heart ached for the diminutive innkeeper who had so warmly welcomed all present despite the tumultuous events of the past few hours.

When Rupert ended his tale by hugging her and offering her the extraordinary sword, Cwen had to fight back tears, blinking fiercely to prevent the emotions he had evoked from overwhelming her. She hugged him back, feeling a great empathy for the hobbit who, like herself, had lost that which was dearest to him.

"Halbarad is right," she said after a moment's thought. her voice was still husky with emotion and her irises grew wide as an idea began to form, making her eyes seem huge in her small pale face. "The elven blade is the most exquisitly crafted weapon any of us have ever seen. No mere ranger would have posession of such an instrument. There must be more to the story".

Pulling the sword from it's sheath on her left side, she held it aloft for all to see. "Can any of you read elvish?" she asked, indicating the delicate Tengwar script which ran the length of the blade on either side. "I have been trying to unravel the mystery of the inscription on the blade's surface. But although I can speak some Elvish, my knowledge of it's written form is only rudimentary".

"As for your wife, Rupert," Cwen continued, now that she was on a roll. "Your tale has touched me deeply, and I would gladly accept the use of this sword only if you would permit me to put it to use in a mission, a quest if you will, to return your Miranda to your side. It seems only right that this should be the blade's purpose. If you will grant me your blessing, I pledge myself and this blade to this endeavor until success finds us, or we shoudl die trying!"

With her last words still echoing in the silence of the inn, Cwen sat down once more, wondering what would be the reaction of those assembled to her impromptu but empassioned speech. Would any of them be willing to join her in her search for the lost Miranda? Could any of them help them on their way by translating the elvish writing on the blade?
bundamba
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Newbie Pub (free to join, especially for those who are new to roleplaying)
on: March 28, 2004 04:05
Erainthe and Amarth (a name she had learnt on the way up) walking either side of Eeva helped her to her room.
From her pack she pulled out a mixture of herbs and potions.
Taking up a cup of water from her bedside, she crushed and mixed in some leaves found only in the high mountain reaches.

"This here will take away the dizyness and this.." She held up a small bottle, "..taken a few drops at a time will help you sleep in a little while." Taking out the stopper Erainthe plopped in two drops.
"This wont taste the nicest but it will help."

Seeing that Eeva had taken the medicine she stood to leave as she could see that Amarth wanted to talk to Eeva.
Leaving the room and quiety drawing the door closed behind her she makes her way back down to the bar.

Seeing that an orc was sitting in her chair she sat on the floor. Noticing that the room was really quiet she asked,
"What just happened?"
Flash
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2004 04:39
Eeva sat on her bed, looking at Amarth. "I missed you when you left, there was no one to give me a hard time about being late for work." She grinned. "So where exactly did you go, and what made you come back?" She patiently awaited an answer, feeling the medicine kick in as she yawned.
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: March 28, 2004 06:02
Halbarad looked around at the silent group sitting before the fire. "I'll help you find Miranda!" he jumped up out of his seat, looking almost comical.

"Oh, I don't know...I...I don't want to get my hopes up." Rupert sighed sadly. "It's taken me a long time just to try and forget. To have her back again...." Rupert got all choked up and started to absentmindedly clean up the tables around him.

"There's no harm in looking, Rupert. I wish that I knew elvish. That sword is so extraordinary!" Halbarad looked at the sword more closely. "If we decide to go, count me in! Sorry Rupe, but you'd have to find a new handyman."

Rupert shrugged his shoulders and continued cleaning, but deep inside he hoped that they would look for his lost wife.
faron
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2004 06:34
"amarth smiled at the past, i had a favor to do, not that it was urgent, but i might as well have done it then" he placed his hand on eeva's where it lay on the coverlet. "i think better walking, and i need to do a lot of it. i think i love you." he knelt by the bedside, "may i have you're permission to make sure?" he looked into her eyes, with a deep and ultimatly carring expression.

his kitten whom he had fogotten the moment he saw eeva was off playing somewhere in the room, that being the only noise but the beating of an honest heart.

((was the too sappy?))
ElenaTheWarrior
Journals Moderator
Send Message
on: March 29, 2004 07:49
Pulling the sword from it's sheath on her left side, she held it aloft for all to see. "Can any of you read elvish?" she asked, indicating the delicate Tengwar script which ran the length of the blade on either side. "I have been trying to unravel the mystery of the inscription on the blade's surface. But although I can speak some Elvish, my knowledge of it's written form is only rudimentary".

Tarneldor quietly stepped forward and took the blade from Cwen, and examined it as she continued to speak. The blade was indeed beautiful, and expertly made. Holding it up to the light, he could easily make out the engraved letters on the blade:

((OOC: Tarneldor can read tengwar, but I have no idea what you had in mind for the descrition, so I'll leave it open. You have my permission to script in Tarneldor.))
bundamba
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2004 12:43
Erainthe was a bit confused over what had happened. But she guessed that a quest was about to start.
"Where are you going first?..." She asked, she still had a lot of looking and finding for herbs and plants.
"...for I would like to go with you all if you will have me."
Having comitted herself to valor knew what she gulped down at least half her tankard. Coughing she drinks the rest.
:dizzy:
"Woo I needed that.Rupert this is a fine ale you make."

OOC: I recon the sword should a proficy on it that changes when you forfill the first piece of the puzzle. Did that make sense? Just thought I'd put my two bob in.
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2004 04:12
(Ooc: Bundamba, that's a really interesting idea about the prophecy! I like it! I really didn't have a specific idea for what the Tengwar inscription on the sword would say. So certainly a prophecy of some sort would give us a direction to start our quest. Maybe the sword's inscription is some kind of poem and you have to unravel each part as you go along to get to the next. I.e.:

The tallest tree to reach the sky
The climber must be young and spry.
A place where water roars to ground
Venture into roaring sound.
A passage dark, no light of day
Torches there shall guide your way.
A treasure hidden underground
Once more the lost shall be found.

Sorry for the terrible poetry. It was just an example. Meaning the group would have to climb the tallest tree in the land (line 1) from which they would spy a waterfall (line 3). Once there, they would have to venture behind the crashing falls (line 4) to find a passage way (line 6). And somehow they would then find Rupert's lost wife (fnal line).
This is just an idea, so feel free to post whatever you like as the sword's inscription, Elena the Warrior!
Gwen
Flash
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2004 04:57
Eeva looked down at Amarth's hand on hers, her heart began to race. When he said he thought he loved her, Eeva was speechless. She nodded, as that was all she could manage. She forgot how tired she was even though the medicine had completely kicked in.
bundamba
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2004 10:29
OOC: That was really good,I can't write poetry at all. I like the idea too. My first thought was instead of finding ruperts wife straight away and new proficy would apear to lead to a new placewhen we'd reached behind the waterfall maybe? I dunno just throwing ideas around.

CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 03:58
Thank you, my cousin married into a famous ale-making family. He gave me the recipe when I first came to Bree." Rupert went over and refilled his ale, half-listening to those discussing the quest. A quest to find his wife! Rupert's stomach started to feel funny. "I guess I'll have to stay here and watch the pub, er...what's left of it!"

ooc: I posted in the ooc for discussion of the quest, maybe we can get it figured out and get on our way.
faron
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 12:30
so it was agreed.
amarth knew he was interupting her rest and dicided this was not the time and place for futherance of this start, he smoothed eeva's hair and laied her back on the bed pulling the covers over her and gently kissing her brow, he waited by the bed for her to fall asleep.
moria_orc2004
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 05:05
Halbarad noticed that Rupert looked worried. "What's wrong, don't you want us to go find your wife?"

Halbarad nervously started cleaning up the pub, getting excited about finally hearing of some adventure!
Flash
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 06:13
Eeva smiled as Amarth 'tucked her in'. She soon fell fast asleep.

Her sleep was dreamless, and she awoke within an hour or so. Opening her eyes, she sat up. Her head felt much better.
bundamba
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 07:47
Erainthe was catching on with the excitement and was planning in her mind the things she would need to replenish in her pack and to take along with her.

Following Rupert to the bar she held out her tankard and some coin. "May I have another? And my advise to you my new friend is keep that recipe close!"

After paying she sat down and watched the others try to decifier the swords' elvish words. She didn't even look as she was only learned in Old Gondor and common speech.
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 04:59
As the others tried to figure out the writing on the sword, Rupert cleaned up the pub, assisted by Halbard.
"There, almost good as new!" Rupert said with a grin. He was feeling much better about everything. Maybe it was the newly cleaned pub, maybe it was the ale, or maybe it was the thought of actually finding his love again. "Must not get my hopes up too high," he mumbled to himself. Nobody answered him because by now everyone was used to Rupert talking to himself.

Outside, a dark haired hobbit stood looking up at the sign that said:
Rupert's Place
Fine Food and Drink
Welcome All

He also saw that there was a sign in the window asking for help. "Hmmm...it seems my cousin will have a need for me!" Duncan said to himself as he pushed opened the door and caught sight of his chubby cousin.
"One of your fine ales, barkeep!" he yelled at Rupert from across the room.

"Duncan! Well ain't this the cat's pajamas!"

The cousins met in the middle of the pub hugging and slapping each other in the back happily.
faron
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2004 06:24
when eeva awoke, amarth was still in the room, he smiled when he saw her eyes open, and they went downstairs hand in hand.

when they reached the bottom a small family reunion seemed to be going one, as well as plans for an adventure
Flash
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2004 08:04
Eeva walked down the stairs, next to Amarth. When they got to the bottom, she saw Rupert's cousin, Duncan. She smiled even more. "Duncan, how are you?" She knelt and gave him a hug. She could tell that something big was about to happen. "So what happened while I was asleep? Couldn't have been too much...or could it?" She smiled as she looked at everyone.
striders_star
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2004 08:30
Marbisk listened to the discussion. He supported the quest, gladly. But he felt he wouldn't be of much help, and mabye he could help watch the pub. He then remembered how other people looked at him. "Oh wait, I'm an orc. Who'd want to come into a pub and be served by an orc?" A friend of Rupert's had come into the bar. Marbisk's thoughts drifted. "Well, if Eeva decides to stay with the pub, I suppose I will stay with her. But, what if she decides to go on the quest? Maybe I could go after all. I mean, I really do want to help Mr. Rupert, whichever way I can." Just then Eeva came downstairs. She came down hand in hand with the man. "So what happened while I was asleep? Couldn't have been too much...or could it?" Eeva said.
Marbisk went over to her. He smiled. He decided to give her the answer in short. "There is to be a quest to find Rupert's wife. Right now everyone reading the inscription on Rupert's blade to see if it will help them in the quest. Do you think you'd want to go on the quest, or stay behind to help with the pub?" He thought he'd just go ahead and ask, that way he could figure out his answer after she gave her's.
Flash
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2004 09:09
Eeva smiled as Marbisk approached her. Her face took on a more serious tone when he mentioned the mission to find Rupert's wife. When he asked if she was going to go, she wasn't sure what she wanted to do.

"Well, someone's got to help with the pub, but I haven't been away from here for the longest time." She looked to Rupert. "Rupert's helped me with many things, I think it only fair if I do this. He misses her so much." She turned her attention back to Marbisk. "I'm going to go."
faron
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2004 06:27
it is my rangers fate, as well as obligation to friendship to take on this quest, i do it gladly, he wasn't sure of marbisk's motives in this, eeva's love was taken, at least he hoped, and he didn't want that to change too soon.
bundamba
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2004 03:16
Erainthe had seen Eeva come down again. Watching her closely she decided that her charge was fine and did not need more medical attention.

The ale in her was making her slightly drowsy. Nothing had been decided yet so she sat at a table and started to actually go through her herbs and minerals. counting and sorting and making sure they were dry.
Tomorrow she would need to gather some Bergamot,False Unicorn and Witch Hazel. They would be available around here because of the rich and wet soils in the area.
She woyuld hunt them up tomorrow.
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: April 04, 2004 04:58
Duncan smiled shyly as Eeva hugged him. "I'm fine and dandy, my dear, now that the long trip from the Shire is over. It's nice to see you Rupe, but that is one long trip!" Duncan plopped down in the nearest chair and put his feet up on the chair across from him. "Oh, and your mother sent some things for you, they are in my pack."

"Thank you for coming, um...why are you here? I wasn't expecting you to leave the Shire willingly!" Rupert said happily. "Though it is good to see you as well." Grabbing a couple of ales, Rupert sat down with his cousin to explain what had been happening lately at the pub.
Frodoisbest22
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2004 09:57
(Hey all! Im back from being out of town! But I think that Im to far behind to try and catch up with this RP..... So Im sad I have to quit this thread, but it was a blast and thanks a ton for letting me play : ) !
Flash
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2004 04:17
((sorry you have to leave!))

Eeva looked to Amarth and Marbisk. "I don't believe you two have been properly introduced. "This is Marbisk, he's actually become a good friend of mine. Even though we've known each other for such a short time. He was very helpful when the orcs attacked the pub." She turned to Amarth. "This is Amarth." She smiled as she looked at him, her eyes locked with his. "We go way back. he also likes to make fun of me for being late to work." She elbowed him lightly.
striders_star
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2004 04:49
{{bye Frodoisbest22!!}}

Marbisk listened to Eeva's answer. "I guess that means I'm going too," he thought to himself, but he was still unsure. By any rate he didn't want to tell Eeva just then, because she might get the wrong impression, well, really it was the right impression, but Marbisk didn't want Eeva to get it just then.
Eeva introduced him to Amarth.
"This is Marbisk, he's actually become a good friend of mine. Even though we've known each other for such a short time. He was very helpful when the orcs attacked the pub." She said.
"Well, I don't know if I was all too helpful. I kind of started the whole thing," Marbisk added. Then he smiled at Amarth, it was a cocky smile, because of the compliments Eeva had given him.
Then he heard Amarth's introduction and became less cocky. He saw they way they looked at each other and eyed Amarth a little angrilly.
This wasn't like Marbisk. He was acting very foolishly, but he had no idea what he was doing. It was all just happening without him noticing how foolish it was.
bundamba
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2004 03:24
Erainthe was tired now. Excusing herself she made her way to her appointed room.((Im asuming that she has one...she does now))
Sleep was very much on her agender.
"Good night every one.." She announced. "I will see you all in the morning."
Trudging upstairs she had a quick cat wash and crawled into her bed. Her last thought before she drifted off was how nice the clean sheets were.
faron
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2004 02:30
amarth was now positivly worried by the way this orc was acting towards him and his beu, he greeted him politly enough though, "give the guy a chance", he thought, "no use getting too axsious till a really know what this man is like.
Flash
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2004 04:18
Eeva turned to Erainthe, "have a nice sleep." Blowing a piece of hair out of her face, a bunch of pans falling was heard coming from the kitchen. Hearing the chittering that accompanied it, she buried her face in her hands. "Oh no," she groaned, "Jet." She turned to Amarth. "I'll be right back." She ran into the kitchen to find the mischievious ferret, leaving Amarth and Marbisk alone.

((don't kill each other! lol))
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: April 07, 2004 02:56
"Quite an exciting time you've been having! If your mother could see you now...I'm not sure what she'd say." Duncan shook his head in disbelief at the tales his cousin had told him. "It is a shame about Miranda. If only you'd have stayed home, where you both belonged."

Rupert's face turned red. "That's all water under the bridge, Duncan. Why did you come here anyway? Did my parents put you up to this? I'm a grown hobbit, have been for years and...."

Duncan interrupted, "Oh stop! I didn't come here for a fight. You are my favortie cousin, after all. I guess you need my help now. Would you like me to stay here while you look for Miranda? Or shall I go with you?"

Rupert started to chuckle at that last comment. "Come with us? You, Duncan Bracegirdle? No, it would be best if you stay here. It'll be a lot less trouble for you, and will give me piece of mind while I'm gone. You'll get to meet many types of folk that you'd never meet in the Shire. Can you handle that?"

Duncan looked around the pub at the many different folk that were already there." Will you introduce me around to your friends and staff? How do you stand it....being one of the smallest in the place?"

"Aww...it's not so bad, really. I'll take you around and then show you the kitchen. I do believe one of our many pub pets is having some fun back there." Rupert motioned for Duncan to follow him, and introduced him to the pub patrons.
faron
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2004 04:28
((sorry guys i keep forgeting that amarth has a kitten in his care, beg pardon, he does btw))

amarth followed eeva into the kitchen to find not one trouble maker, but two responsible for the mess in the kitchen, amarths kitten, seron was also in tangle of plants, while still very small, her had grow quite a bit in both size and stregth in the time amarth had been away from the pub, now he was apparently chasing jet's tale, untill jet retaliated and sent the little thing running acros the floor with a single look, only to come back more fiercly, amarth couldn't help but laugh.
Flash
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2004 06:05
Eeva put her hand over her mouth, laughing at the site of the two rascals. "Well, before long I'm afraid poor Jet won't be able to scare him off like that." She grinned and grabbed the ferret, grasping him tightly. "silly rodent." He chittered angrily at Eeva, wanting to be put back down so he could finish off the little cat. "Nope, come on." She looked around and grabbed her bag, shoving him inside. Shutting it she looked to Amarth, who had picked up Seron. "Guess we both had brats to look after now." She smiled, petting the kitten.
Legolaszhotty12345
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2004 05:36
Just then a elf lady walked in. Beside her wa Haldir who was holding her hand. they walk over to a booth and sat down. "So, when are we going to bind?"
"Not now, but how about tomorrow?"
"alright!''
She goes over to the bar and gets two ales.
"Ok niki i love you so much."
'' and i love you Haldir.''
"Is there a dance floor anywhere?"
shhe nodded and took his hand. she lead him out and a slow song started. they danced so well togeather.:heart: :love: :drool:
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: April 09, 2004 08:45
Glancing at the dancers, Rupert felt some of his anxiety slip away. "Guess this place is getting back to normal." Entering the kitchen, the hobbits laughed at the antics of the pub pets.

"I think I'll enjoy hanging around here, Rupe. Maybe I'll get myself a puppy while you're gone!" Duncan said with a smile.

"Oh, I don't know about a dog around here, unless it stays out by the stables. Might scare the customers away," Rupert replied. "As far as leaving, it doesn't seem like anyone has figured out when or where we should go. I wonder if we should go at all..."

Duncan patted his cousin's back. "Now now, don't go on like that. If you are meant to find her, it will happen."

Sitting Rupert down with a nice cup of tea, Duncan looked around the kitchen.
bundamba
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2004 11:13
******Later********
In the wee hours of the morning when no one was in the bar, Erainthe crawlled out of bed into the fridgid air. Pulling on her warm clothes she picked up her small pack, a glowing rock a healer had given her, and went out into the forest near the inn.
Following her gut feelings, she found a small glade with a fountail of water that sprung from the earth. Just as she had suspected she found some of the herbs and plants she needed to complete her pack.
Carefully she cut some leaves from the plants with out killing them. Wrapping them in clean cloths she went back to the inn.
Hunting around the enclosed garden she found the other plants she was after.
Plants often found in the garden usually had more healing properties than just the effect to make food flavourous.
Now her pack was almost complete byt the rest would have to be found along the way went the journey began. Perhaps even purcashed at the town square.

Creeping quietly back into the inn she went to her room untill she hears the others rise around dawn.
<< First56789Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email