Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
gwathrandir
Council Member
Send Message
Post Writers?
on: January 31, 2004 02:54
I was just wondering if any of ya'll would be interested in starting a writer's club/guild/whatever-you-want-to-call-it... I love helping people with stories, and I could use some help on a few of my own...
danicolman
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Writers?
on: February 02, 2004 08:22
I don't have much time and all, but I love reading and writing too, so I'd be glad to help out if you need it. I'm just too busy to throw myself into it heart and soul, but I'm always around and would love to help!

Dani
Nambareth
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2004 05:52
same as dani here...I'm a writer, and a reader so I love the idea
gwathrandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2004 04:46
Perhaps if somebody has a story they can post it here, and those who have time can read it and comment--offering criticism would help greatly, too. So if anybody has a story/poem/anything else, feel free to post it here!
Vanwaelen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2004 03:47
I enjoy both reading and writing, so count me in.
Vanwaelen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2004 04:23
Nature's Story

The wind blows silently through the trees
Circling around the one, creating a vacuum
Within this whirlwind of silence
The trees speak, telling stories of old
Talking of the days when they were free
Not having to worry about what lies beyond the hilltop
It was a place of utter peace and joy
Where all creatures big and small, living and non-living, could be at peace with each other

It all happened so fast
The happiness had ended
All that existed was a void
The One feels their pain and wishes to know how to protect what it has come to love

Wind blows up
Gently speaking words of wisdom to its child
Telling them that there is always hope and to never give into anger
For it would only lead to a life of eternal pain
One should learn from the past if they wish to be truly content
gwathrandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2004 11:36
I love it! It reminds me of the Noldor (sorry, been reading the 'Rillion ). I just have a few minor comments...

Where all creatures big and small, living and non-living, could be at peace with each other

This line is kind of long...maybe break it into two lines.

The happiness had ended

'had ended' sounds kind of awkward...'ended' might sound a bit better...

I love this poem! :love: You're an awesome writer!
Vanwaelen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2004 02:08
I love this poem! :love: You're an awesome writer!

Thanks gwathrandir! :blush:
FaramirsGirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2004 10:37
I am a writer too and would happy to advise. I am 42000 words into my first novel thus far so a wee bit too much to post here (!) but am always happy to advise and chat to others who enjoy the creative process too. It goes without saying that I am also an avid reader ( exclusively of fantasy novels) and that is the genre of my own book.
gwathrandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2004 05:22
Novels are fun! I've started a few of my own, but I never have any discipline to finish them. I've got the stories in my head, though! Mine are mostly fantasy, too. Though I do have an idea for one that's historical fiction...

I've posted a couple stories/poems on my website that I finally got up and running! Here's the link if you're interested:

http://councilofelrond.com/members/gwathrandir/TheStoryofCaesarandMaglor.html (That's one's about Maglor)
[url]
http://councilofelrond.com/members/gwathrandir/TheWrathofFeanor.html[/url] (That one's about Feanor)
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: February 10, 2004 05:51
This sounds fantastic! I have four fics that I'm currently working on on ff.net! :love: it's hard, but worth it when people tell ya they like what you're writing!
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: February 11, 2004 09:33
I LIVE for my writing... Now that I´m travelling, ideas are everywhere... ahhh... too much... it is all too much...
When I make it back home I´m actually planning on starting a internet writers group. But until that happens I´m more than happy to be involved in one here...

I´m studying in Spain so I can only get to an internet cafe once every two days or so, but I´m more than happy to give it my best attention...
gwathrandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 01:50
Wow...I guess there are a lot of writers out there!

If anybody's interested, I came across an interesting plot bunny today. (For those of ya'll who don't know, a plot bunny is a vague plot idea that you can expand on; sometimes there are contests online for them, other times they're just for fun). It's Maglor in history. Because Maglor didn't go to the undying lands, he would still be on earth. So what would happen if he was, say, in World War Two? The Trojan Horse? In King Arthur's Court? (That one blew my mind...)

Just thought I'd share it with you all, just in case anybody likes that type of thing.
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 03:55
I also love to write, and read. I usualy write poetry, and have a bunch of attempts at stories lying aroung my room. The thing is, I can never finish a story. Once it's launched in my mind, I stay awake at night, thinking about the history of the characters, the way it should go, the plot, ect. But when I begin to finaly put word to paper, as soon as I write down the intended thoughts, it completely looses it's need to be written, and a new story is launched in there. The strange thing is, all of the stories sort of seem connected, a sort of same plot, personality in the character.I've been thinking of somehow connecting the seperate stories into one big stry, but at the moment, there's to much work to be done. Right now, I'm doing a rendition of "Taming of the Shrew", a work by william shakespear [spelling?], it's something I worked up so the kids in my school might actualy beable to relate to shakespear. And proove to my teachers that "Taming of the Shrew" was deeper than a comedy.I wrote a part that pretty much gives away the ending, and beggining, a sort of summary. I'll post it up if you want.
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: February 13, 2004 06:35
LOL Ladylaurien... I know exaclty what you mean... Except that I keep writing, but just never reach an end... I re-write and re-write... On story I have been writing now for 10 years and I´m still re-wrting lots of bits... It is closer to what I want it to be now... I think... But I just can´t decide on an end.
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: February 13, 2004 07:05
I'm the same way ladylaurien! lol! I'm hoping that now that I've starting posting my stuff on ff.net I'll actually finish it!
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2004 09:03
I know, I can never finish what I've started. I'm not very good at invening endings. I can never realy accept that things come to an end, I don't want them to end. I once heard somewhere that all artists put a bit of themselves in their work, I think that applies to me.
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: February 13, 2004 09:20
I know exactly what you mean! My stories all have a little celeb in them, but i think it's better to add a bit of yourself to make your stories unique!
Even though I'm trying to finish my ff.net stories, it still doesn't seem to stop the flow of plot bunnies!...I have five stories over there, and none of them are anywhere near done! lol
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2004 11:33
It's true, it does make you stories unique. Some people put so much of themselves in it, it can actualy create a sort of style that writers for generations will try to either use, or think up something just as uniqe. I admire those types of writers. Have anyof you ever read the books by "Lemony Snicket" as they call him. I like to read those books, because they are so ridiculously sad, and miserable, it's funny. He's one of those type of authors that has put himself really into the story.

Oh, and by the way, about that summary/rendition, here's a link to my member website, it's posted on there. Not that long, maybe 3-6 paragraphs. http://www.councilofelrond.com/members/ladylaurien/index.html Oh, I changed the names of the characters, in order to once again, beable to relate to this generation.
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: February 13, 2004 04:21
I haven't read them, actually! Maybe someday...right now I'm restarting the Silmarillion...I started it last year when I was in school and never got around to finishing it. By now, of course, I've forgotten most of what I read, so I had to start over! *sigh* Oh well! But maybe when I'm finished, I'll head on out and take a look at them!
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 07:47
I have a tendency to get WAY too attached to my characters... And don´t like killing them off... But some have to be killed off and I dither for YEARS about who and how...
Mark_Hoff
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 12:23
Here's a poem I wrote. I intentionally didn't mention what the poem was about because I want to see if anyone can tell just by reading it yet. Also, it doesn't have a title yet, so there's a nother reason. lol!

They are like pools of water
Cool in an evening's mist

They are like spheres of air
Contained in themselves

They are like fountains of dreams
Pouring their beauty out

They are like sapphires
Shining on a finger

They are like bright stars
Reflected on a dark lake

They are gentle and calm
Like she who owns them

They are windows into her soul...
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 02:33
I'm guessing it's about an eye/eyes. It's really good.

[Edited on 17/2/2004 by ladylaurien]
gwathrandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 04:28
It sounds like eyes to me. You're a really good writer!
Arwen1986
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 11:22
I love to read and write, i am currently writing a story on my RPG character named Raeyn McLeid, she is an elf, it is about her life, and the bad things that happened to her family just because of all the evil around her.
I must say some of the peoms i have read are pretty good, i say keep the good work up. I still need alot of practice though.
Mark_Hoff
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 20, 2004 06:19
Yes, it is about someone's eyes. Good job, guys! Anyhow, if I come up with any more poems, I'll post them here, too, but my poetry has been slow-coming lately. I just need an inspiration to write!!!
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 11:53
I'm gasping for breath,
two hands force a mask on me,
I can't breathe. I struggle to resurface,
but the hands force me down.
The airless mask is stuck to me like glue, cutting off my air supply.
My lungs crush, my heart crumbles,
my body caves in,
becoming the very manican I was forced to be.
Against my struggle, I could not escape.
Against my tears, no part of me was wet.
All I could feel was the regret of what I had become,
why I hadn't seen it before.
No fire could worsen the pain,
no water could make me breathless,
for I was all I would ever be,
I was death in the living world.
My face was no longer even visible.
I was nolonger even visible. I was an echoe...
The asphalt under me turns to soft sand, suspending in air.
I am at the edge of the last remaining road,
it would fade soon.
How long would my foundation steady me?
How long would it remain?

You don't have to guess what it is, just give me your opinion. It wasn't even meant to be a poem. I was just writing. Then I read it again, and put it in this form.

gwathrandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2004 02:04
I love it! That has got to be one of my favorite poems I've ever read. It captures emotions so well, and it is so true...

I do that sometimes--write something out and then put it in poem form. I do that with stream-of-conciousness sometimes. Has anyone else ever done stream-of-consciousness? Hardly anybody I've met knows about it...
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2004 06:52
You're pretty good! I haven't written that many poems myself, but I have written many stories. Writing is one of my passions! I normally carry a notebook around and write whenever I get the chance.

If you do start a writers club or whatnot- count me in!
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2004 05:02
Thats a good idea, taking a notebook around. Only it would have to have alot of paper, because god knows I love to write... alot. Oh, and thanks about the poem, and gwathrandir, maybe you could give me an example of that type of form of writing. I've written so many forms, either for homework, or just saw it in a book and tried it, and I don't know the names of them.
gwathrandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 29, 2004 10:43
Stream of consciousness is when you don't think about what you write, you just do-- "Too many times we sit back and watch the gatemen only to realize later that they have no real power and the only will for power is that of their guardian lord or sovreign of which no one has ever seen or heard because they live in a land far removed from time in an age where disbelief causes hatred and no one dares to believe something that might cause disbelief in the future..." They hardly ever make sense, and you can get four, five, or six pages of just one sentence. They're lots of fun to do if your minds cluttered with images and emotions and other stuff!

Here's a writing challenge/plot-bunny/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. You can try it or not, whatever you want...

Two brothers fighting.

You decide who they are, when they are, why they're fighting...if we get enough people doing this, it could be really interesting--I did this in english, and we had all sorts of stories from two gansters to the story of Romulus and Remus (ancient Rome). Have fun!
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 29, 2004 12:37
2 brothers fighting

One yells, the other shouts
an endles clatter of two voices
bound by blood
feuled by hate
annoyance,can't take it, fighting's an easier way
do they listen to those that route?
they ignore their surroundings, lost in a sea of words
do thay feel the pain of the blood they're loosing
no, there hate makes them numb
who should tell them what's right, and wrong
no one can work up courage to end the fight
the only force in nature, brave, and mighty to stop them
their mother walks in, sending each to their room
until they resolve there problem with reasonable words.

I know it's not much, but it's the best I could come up with in a short amount of time.
gwathrandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2004 01:36
That's pretty good--I really like the numbness thing!
Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 05:13
Oh, a writer's club. I love the idea, gwathrandir. Count me in. Writing is a passion of mine that I've had since I was a child. I'll try and help whenever I can, though I'm not on a lot.

Peace~
Feanorblingblingissues
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 05:35
I'm a bit of a writer. I doubt anything of mine would get published though.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email