Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Eantylië
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Writers?
on: November 20, 2010 09:33
hmm I guess I can give it a try then because I almost suffer a bit when I limit my characters to only four lines at most D:
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2010 09:36
I never limit dialog. I write what I think I need, and then edit if I need to.
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2010 12:56
I hate having to explain anything when its not in dialog. Action and Dialog. That's my world
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2010 06:50
I'm the opposite, I don't enjoy dialog, I write it if I need it, but I like writing thoughts and, um, how do I say it, non-dialog?
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2010 11:57
I do thoughts also but sometimes they're hard for me to do. I like to talk myself so I like to make my charries talk
Oh and I think its called narrative when you're just writing about what your charries are doing.
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2010 01:06
Thanks, my dictionary failed me today!
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2010 01:36
your welcome.
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2010 07:40
So I'm having second thoughts about posting something of mine. I have never let anyone read my stories, so I think I'll pm anyone who wants to read it so it's not just floating around on the WWW.
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2010 10:14
I would like to read your stories. What are they about?
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2010 11:47
Everthing I write is fantasy. Elves, fairies, dragons, that sort of thing. It usually involves conflict between large groups of people, and strong female characters (especially the lead).
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2010 01:04
Ok, I like those stories! Can't wait to read yours!
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2010 08:09
I'll see what I can do, just give me a little while to edit a bit more. Help!

I'll do the intro and the first chapter.

[Edited on 23/11/2010 by Vanwa_Meleth]
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2010 09:01
Ok!
Aerena100
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2010 01:51
I absolutely LOVE writing, my cousin and I are even doing a shared book together. I also enjoy writing poems. Here is one I am currently writing for The Hobbit when you meet Smaug:

Far beyond the trees of Mirkwood

But before the Iron Hills

Stood the Lonely Mountain of Erebor

And the terror of the villes

The Dragon Smaug would sit alone

In halls of Dwarven make

And under watchful eye he kept

His gold none dared to take

Under darkening sky then came

Young Bilbo with his Ring

The Hobbit-Thief then stole the gold

From the Dragon-King

The Dragon Smaug awoke that night

To find his cup was gone

He swore his vengeance and his wrath

To search the hills till dawn
~ Golden eye, fiery scale, a drake of flame guards your mountain, and spells your doom ~ ~ Heirs of Durin, reclaim your throne. Send the beast to his watery tomb ~
Harthad
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2010 05:49
I really like that, Aerena100! Simple and sweet, it captures The Hobbit nicely.

I'm a writer! Here's part of a script I'm writing, just for no reason.

Rísingeil:

And there he was, the mightiest of them all in the midst of battle. Behind him, lay his dead foes. None dared to cross him now, for his sword was as deadly as a dragon's claw. In his hand, he clutched the jewel the Lady Aravilui gave him for strength. He charged! One man against ten thousand foes. He charged for his family! For his kingdom! And for the pride of his forefathers, he charged, hoping to save his land from the evil that had conquered.

Rodwen:

But did he win?

Doron:

Yeah! Did Gwindor defeat Prestanneth?

(Orthordir looks up from tending the fire)

Orthordir:

No one knows. The story stops there. Some accounts tell on that he did win, settled down and married Lady Aravilui. And that his descendants are looking out for any evil that may invade to this day.

Doron:

You're looking out for evil, Orthodir! Maybe you're a descendant of Gwindor.

Rísingeil:

I think we'd know if someone of Gwindor's family walked this earth. Now, c'mon you two, it's time for bed. Rodwen, Doron, be sure to get a night's rest before tomorrow. We may be on the move again.

Rodwen:

Aww, but Rísingeil. . .

Rísingeil:

Please, just get some sleep.

(Doron and Rodwen make their way over to the fire and settle down. Rísingeil looks on at them. Orthordir comes to sit by Rísingeil.)

Orthordir:

They are too young to be living here, out in the wild. I don't know what you were thinking when you took them in.
Rísingeil:

They needed a home, Orthodir. There was no place for them in the castle. At least being here they aren't part of the king's army.

Orthordir:

But I'm a wanted man, Rís. What will happen if the king's men come knocking? Have you given any thought to that? What will happen to them?

Rísingeil:

I place my confidence in you, Orthordir. We will protect them from the growing evil.

(Cut to: Village)

(frantic yelling and shouts, people yelling and running everywhere. Pelthar and Morwenna are hurriedly shoving food into a bag inside their home.)

Morwenna:

You must find your cousin. He will protect you.

Pelthar:

What of you? Where will you go?

Morwenna:

Somewhere safe. I'll find you as soon as this is over. Now, go, Pelthar!

(Pelthar picks up bag of food and grabs dagger by door. With one last look at Morwenna, Pelthar runs out.)

(Close up on Morwenna's sad face.)

(Cut to: Pelthar running through forest. Soldiers are chasing after him. Alternate shots between soldiers and Pelthar. Pelthar trips over tree root but quickly gets up. Shot of soldier drawing bow. Soldier releases and cut to arrow hitting Pelthar in shoulder. Pelthar and soldiers come into clearing. Soldiers surround Pelthar, cutting him off from any escape. Orthordir comes unnoticed out of cave.)

Soldier 1:

You can't run anymore, boy. You'll be joining your sister in the cells.

(Soldier 1 kicks Pelthar in the head. Orthordir can't take it anymore and runs to the group of soldiers. He kills a few of them and the rest run off. Fight choreography to be done later. Orthordir extends a hand and helps Pelthar up.)

Orthordir:

We'll have that shoulder treated. Our cave's just over here. Come on.

(They both walk over to cave and walk in. Shot of Orthordir and Pelthar coming into cave. Rísingeil looks up.)

Rísingeil:

Who is this?

Orthordir:

This, is my cousin. And he was just shot by an arrow. Can you help him?

Rísingeil:

Of course.

(Rísingeil tends to Pelthar. Orthordir sits down.)

Pelthar:

Orthordir, our village was attacked by the king's soldiers. They are destroying their own lands. It is rumored that the king himself is Prestanneth of old.

Rísingeil:
Nonsense. Prestanneth is gone, just children's stories now. If Prestanneth were here, we would know it.

Orthordir:

Pelthar, is Morwenna safe? And Holly?

Pelthar:

Morwenna is safe, as far as I know. Holly. . .Holly was taken by the king.

The names are elvish, yes. Well, not Holly or Morwenna.
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2010 07:54
Wow, they're both really good!

Aerena, I have never been able to make poems rhyme without them sounding really stupid. Yours was extremly good1

Harthad, if you're not a screenwriter, then you should definitly think about it! That was like watching a movie, except . . in . . writing.
Aerena100
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2010 09:53
I agree with Vanwa, that was pretty amazing! I could really see the characters doing those things!
~ Golden eye, fiery scale, a drake of flame guards your mountain, and spells your doom ~ ~ Heirs of Durin, reclaim your throne. Send the beast to his watery tomb ~
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2010 01:00
It's like a play!
Aerena100
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2010 03:35
This is another one I had for a fan-fic I wrote a long time ago (not posted on COE) I thought someone here might appreciate it.

On a moonlit night,

When the stars are alight

The wind in the trees,

And the water is white

The winter is waning,

And spring is soon here

The whisper of leaves,

Below is so clear

The wavering trunks,

In silence they stand

Ageless together,

As sentinels of the land
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2010 08:35
I found another short story that I wrote a few years ago. Its really cute but kinda embarrassing. Once I have it typed into my Wiki I'll post the link here.
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2011 04:45
Ok, here's the link to my story that I found a while ago.

http://indilwensstories.wikispaces.com/A+Squirrel%27s+World
Frodo~the~Second
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2011 07:09
I want to be a writer when I grow up (that sounds really ten-year-old). My secret wish (though nigh impossible) is to get our LOTR fanfic published and turned into a movie. it's possible, but unlikely. VERY unlikely.

~Frodo (the Second)
Eantylië
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2011 08:24
It is not impossible, just requires a lot of work an the right contacts. I mean there are a lot of fan made movies already and some of them are quite good
Frodo~the~Second
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2011 12:44
I just love reading other peoples' fanfics (especially the ones about the Hobbits :heart, but I've read everything good (seemingly on every website for LOTR fanfic), and writing our own is awesome, but inspiration from others is great. So, when is someone gonna post another Hobbit-fic? :love:

Call it a request.

~Frodo (the Second)
Caden
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2011 04:33
I write some on fanfiction.net, but I haven't gotten very far with it yet. Some of them are sort of confusing because I wrote them while I had the flu, but I've been swamped with schoolwork, so I haven't had time to come up with more ideas yet, but I intend to finish them because I have a really good ending; just no middle.
Frodo~the~Second
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2011 09:56
Cool! Keep at it--I just love fanfic about the Hobbits!

~Frodo (the Second)
Harthad
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2011 10:17
Here are 2 of my plays:

http://harthads-haven.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=92

http://harthads-haven.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=154

And one story based off a true one:

http://harthads-haven.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=117

And a commentary from an RPG at my site, for Doctor Who and LotR fans:

http://harthads-haven.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=151

http://harthads-haven.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=152

Have fun reading!
Maltaquesse Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
I love to write books! Mine are fantasies, mostly. I especially love drawing maps and creating backstories for all of my characters. All my books are high-action... Battle scenes are my specialty. Usually Elves, Centaurs, Griffins and Phoenixes are my favorite creatures to work with.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I love characterization and layering really big in-your-face themes. I have been writing for over 8 years now.

There is a thread for this over in the Prancing Pony.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
I love to write stories, particularly fantasy. I'm working on a book currently. I just love story telling through writing.
Eglerio Eru o I gely bân siriar. (Praise God from Whom all blessing flow)
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
As Maxie mentioned, we have another writer's thread in the Prancing Pony where we talk about our stories, writers problems we're having, songs we've written, etc. Feel free to join us!

For my part, I love writing, but I don't do it much. :/ I'm not that good, and I get writer's block a lot.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Maybe I should post the link...O.O
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
papples
Council Member
Send Message
I may not be an excellent writer, but I am one of the best in my class. I can't seem to come up with any good plots lately...

But I have been considering writing a fanfiction series about people who lived through or died during the major battles in LotR. (Helm's Deep, Pellanor [not sure if I spelled that right] Fields). Just thought it would be interesting to look at other people's perspectives.

What do you think?
The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Hey papples!

I think that sounds pretty cool. If you come over here ---> http://www.councilofelrond.com/forum/thread/36265/page/16/ you can talk to several other writers about your story and get advice and such...I'm not sure that this thread it very active now.

I hope you have fun with your fanfics!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
papples
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks!
The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email