Register

Author Topic:
JaimeLouise
CoE Volunteer & Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
Post RE: Writers?
on: May 10, 2007 06:24
LOL.
A writer is his (or her) own worst critic.
Always remember that...

Visit my website & Etsy shop! ~ Ephesians 4:29 ~
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2007 10:59
yep, I am definately my worst critic. Everyone says I write so well, then I start to point out the problems....I only do that when my family reads it though, I like taking the compliments from my friends.

Next time I post I'm going to put together a little snip it of my novel for you guys, sort of a...man, I can't think of the word, but whatever.
It'll explain the plot a little bit....hopefully I'll be able to post that tomorrow.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
JaimeLouise
Send Message
on: May 13, 2007 12:07
LOL. OK! Looking forward to it!

elvishmusician
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 13, 2007 02:20
Hello - Why didn't I see this thread before? *answers self* 'Because you rarely venture outside the walls of Vaire and if you do its usually to visit the Book Discussion, Newbies or on occasion the Movies thread.' Oh yeah :blush: must stop making a habit of that :banghead:

*looks up innocently* no i'm not isane... I'm sure plenty of you talk and answer yourselves... you're writers after all

Without any further ado... I love writing (obviously)... I don't know I wasn't really into it until a few years ago. I mean I could always write things and did but just never made the time to have fun and explore it. Until the beginning of last year when I started my novel... its no where near finished but probably a third of the way through (its about 70 000+)... I'm very shy about talking about it though... just because I guess you all understand that writing is somehow very close to a person... and as someone else said... you're your own worst critic... and I definitely am ... actually on a side note my computer crashed two days ago and I lost the last month of work on the story (estimating more than 5000 words minimum):banghead:... so I'm currently rewriting as best I can. Thankfully I actually had writer's block on and off the last two weeks (there you are a scenario where writer's block can be good!)

oh dear... I rambled :blush:

Okay pleased to meet you all and I have been reading through the thread and I'm so glad that other writers find themselves constantly rewriting things :blush: I get curious about my writing and think 'If I made this character with this personality what impact would that have on the story' then I go and rewrite that person throughout the whole thing and then I sometimes look at it and go 'Hmm... not exactly what I wanted to bring... perhaps a bit more of this trait...' and then I change it all again... oops rambled again :banghead: and Elfmaiden I look forward to seeing some snippets

[Edited on 14/5/2007 by elvishmusician]
longbe4thesun
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2007 02:58
I'm amazed I haven't seen this thread before either... although I do spend the majority of my time in the watery realm of Ulmo and in The Palantir. But I love writing... mostly poetry. I'm working on something that may become a longer fan fiction work if I can get it to go somewhere. Right now it's just a whole bunch of random silly speculation of Book World (For those of you aquainted with the Thursday Next books by Jasper Fforde and the world of the Great Library). It's a crossover (of sorts) speculating how some characters in popular novels like Pride and Prejudice, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings(to name a few) outside the narrative and how they would interact with each other and see what stories and feelings they may have about... fan fiction.
JaimeLouise
Send Message
on: May 13, 2007 05:57
Ah, yes. Re-writing. 'Tis a wonderful thing.
I don't remember who, but a famous author has said that there are very few famous "writers". Most are famous "re-writers"!

ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2007 07:19
The end of the Middle Kingdom is nigh. No one is ready for war. The men still despise the elves for what they are and what they have done in the past. They will not come together to win the war, and the elves know this.

The Centaur still refuse to join the Men in battle because of past grievances.

We need heroes to bring alliances back together and save the world from the terrible end that has been prophecied.

Four heroes will come, so different they are but together they will save the people from the claw of death that looms over them and save our world from its dreadful end.
----------
okay, this might sound corny, but it's the 'prologue' of my story, to set the mood.

I plan to make it better and I also plan to make a 'trailer' for my friends to read ahead of time, I'll post it in here to.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
JaimeLouise
Send Message
on: May 15, 2007 11:07
It sounds exciting!
I can't wait to read it!

LOL, it doesn't sound corny. How many people do you think thought that 3 1/2 foot tall Hobbits with hairy feet sounded corny?

ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2007 12:10
lol, you have a point there Jaime. If I had heard about that before I knew what LotR was, I would probably laugh.
JaimeLouise
Send Message
on: May 15, 2007 04:54
LOL, me too!

Félawyné
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2007 08:13
I am writing a few novels, lots of poems, and short stories. I have only written a teensy bit of fanfic, mostly because I don't really consider fanfic very 'on-topic.' Not that I don't enjoy reading it, but hopefully you see.

I might participate a little, but I'm already in another writing club online, based after the Inklings. (dear, dear Inklings! )

The story I'm working most on is a fantasy tale, with its own history and landmarks, etc. I am working on other tales for it of the past (of that world), which takes up a lot of my thinking time.

But, unfortunately, I won't be releasing it to this particular forum; there are too many people to see it, and probably the people on here are some of the only people who would ever like it. :S

Ditto, EMoL. Nooo doubt....

~Melli
Eantylië
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2007 12:06
HI everyone! I'm writing on my biggest fantasy story ever! It would be so fun to let others read and comment it.. then maby someone could tell me what I'm missing in it. I dont think I've got the feeling I want in it. I'm writing with much personal feeling to the story, but I dont think that others would understand it. Help me! What can I do? I dont want this bad feeling about writing a dead story to end my writing...:cry:
elvishmusician
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 23, 2007 11:40
I'd recommend letting someone read it... like someone who will tell you straight with it... preferably someone else who writes who can pull bits and say 'this bit really needs to go' ... sometimes only a small change of wording makes it come alive... I've found just the way you describe something can give completely new meaning to the work. Sometimes readers don't always understand the 'full picture' like I had someone as me if a part was necessary and yes it was because I planned to link it up elsewhere later.

As for personal understanding... you might be surprised how many relate to it

And remember this is supposed to be fun... a lot of my writing I write because its in me and I love it... and when it comes down to it I don't much care if it never gets published...though just the same it would hurt if everyone who read it hated it (I mean normal people too not just publishers)... okay I'm going to be quiet because I don't think I'm making sense... as long as you're enjoying your story and the process of writing it... then I think others are bound to like it too... if you hate your story, hate working on it and hate reading it then you have to stop and think about why you are doing it. Okay that spiel just went a bit too far off topic and is probably no longer even related to the original point... sorry :blush:
Eantylië
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2007 12:38
ha ha ha no it's okey! That was relly good thank you. :love:
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2007 07:39
yeah, I have trouble letting people in my family read my stories, because they think I'm over dramatic with my stories and I put too much detail into battle scenes, in my fantasy stories. (it's mostly my mom and sister, my younger brother enjoys them)

So I often find a friend who enjoys writing as well, and let him or her read it. They always give me good reviews so I'm happy.
I often need to fix up some things, cause I do go overboard or I repeat myself, but I always get ti fixed up and I hope to get my novel published soon.
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2007 02:45
I am writing a new novel. My fanfic kind of went up in flames so to speak. Thsi new one is enitrely my own world, own chars, own places, my own everything and I must say that it is more fun writing it then the fanfic was. I have Elves but they are very different from Tolkien's or Santa's Elves. And I use the race of men as wel las trolls, and gnomes! It's fun to write.

Elfmaiden, I read the piece you posted here and it was awesome! You are a good writer. I don't think there is such thing as too much detail. THe better the description, the more you can vividly picture what the author is describing. Unless it gets to the point like what I did and I did go overboard at one point, to the point where my critic was confused. So I had to change that, but it's all good for the most part, I just need one question answered for me and if someone could do that, I'd appriciate it.

Okay, if you were reading a novel and it had an epic adventure/ battle/ for death type theme, which would you use to soften the edges, a love story in the midst, or another type of softener? Let me know because right now I am going in in thr direction of a love story between two Elves who are fighting together on dragons. and one more question, should I kill off the main char at the end, or leave it open for a sequel? I am bad at making decisions.
JaimeLouise
Send Message
on: May 26, 2007 12:19
Well, I always like a good love story (as long as it's not too graphic), but other things work well too, depending on the story.
As for killing off your main character, for me, it's always so hard to read a story when that happens! I cry. But there are times when it has to be done. Again, it depends on the story. If you're wanting to write a sequel, then by all means, let him live!

ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2007 01:27
I think that personally a sequel is always good, it allows you to give the main character more depth, like maybe there's another side to the main character that you didn't see in the first book.

I have written stories where it was a really hard decision to let the main character live. It seemed like it was a too good to be true rescue from certain death, but I ended up making it work and now I'm working on a sequel.

I have written stories where my main character dies, it worked and it could only have ended that way. But it does depend on the story.

As for softeners....well, a love story is always good. I don't have any other ideas at present, but if I think of anything I'll let you know.
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2007 02:59
comedic relief is always a good softener of sorts, but maybe not the kind you're looking for. another type is interlacing another story with your original; it could be a sideplot that eventually meets the main, or just remains alone all the way through. a good example of this is The Car by Gary Paulsen. That story can be romance, comedy, drama, etc...

as far as doing away with your main character, it really depends on you. is there another character you could pick up if you really wanted to write a sequel, would it be the same, do you want it to be the same, how does it fit in with the overall plot of everything, not just the character's own plot... i enjoy a lot of multi-main character writing myself, so i've never had too much of a problem doing away with one of the mains...i can always pick it up with his/her children, best friend, enemy, or whoever have you. check to see if it fits with your style.
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2007 04:36
Yeah, I kind of have some comical scenes in the story as well. Those are limited however to one character, who is very, umm, well, too sure of himself at the least. Cocky, so many of his "smooth" moves end up backfiring and getting him in trouble or embarassing him. As for the main char, I've decided to possibly do away with her, but I still haven't decided yet. At the moment she is in a situation where I could easily do away with her, but i have become attached.

But yeah, I love writing this story, I have myself hooked on it so to speak. No one is reading over it now, my mom got bored with it and I don't want any family members to read it. I'm thinking of asking my friend to read it, she would tell me if it sucked falt out, too little/ too much detial, not enough plot, too mcuh of plot, so on and so forth. She doesn't hold back when something bothers her in a story she reads, trust me. Okay, I think I'll leave, got to work on my novel. See you later!
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2007 10:12
Okay, I have officially decided to keep Arlyan in the plot and Kaín is definitely staying as well. (Can't get rid of my two main peeps, right? ) lol, anyway, I also have a prelude/prophecy type thing that kind of sets up the story. I don't know if it's really all that good, but I did my best on it. My main party has split, so the novel I'm currently working on has different chapters for different groups. I think I smell sequels!! lol Okay, I'm going now, and in the future I will be looking for the books you guys put out if you get them published!
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2007 08:41
glad you found a way to work it out, elfalas. so long as you're happy, that's all that matters. if you ever need a reader/editor, feel free to contact me.

speaking of which, i was wondering if any of you all would be interested in helping me with a bit of a problem i've run into.

i've been working on a fantasy novel/epic (not entirely sure what to call it) on and off for a bit now, but i'm not sure if my style of storytelling is working out very well. it's a story of two kingdoms, their kings, and the kings' lines, spanning five/six generations in the plot charts i've made. i've only written six chapters so far simply for time constraints, and also i'm not sure i'm telling it in the best style. i chose to go with a sort of short-story feel, as every chapter is a bit of a story in itself, and when you put them together they make a grander story which the reader ends up knowing much more than the characters and you have all sorts of irony, etc.

what i'm looking for is someone who could sit down and read what i have, or even some of what i have, and tell me if i'm on the right track with the style. to me it seems a bit shaky, but that could just be my OCD writer's critique the Muses saw fit to grant me with. the story contains some fighting but no gratuitious romance, if you take my meaning, and has six chapters. please contact me if you are interested, and i would be much much obliged . i want to make sure i'm doing it right before i continue on much further!

[Edited on 20/6/2007 by pitya]
Eantylië
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2007 01:33
I can read it
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2007 11:50
ah you're my hero, Eantylië. i'll pm you with specifics. thank you .
JaimeLouise
Send Message
on: June 23, 2007 08:51
If you want two different opinions, I'd be more than happy to read it too.

pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2007 12:16
the more the merrier: i'll pm you. thank you thank you.
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: August 25, 2007 09:34
Sounds cool, Pitya. I'd read it.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2007 06:32
Wow I havn't written in this in a while. I should have. Well, I'm minstral and I'm a writer. I've got four short stories published through contests in anthologies. Only available in my location. But I am currently publishing a poetry book titled: Young Poet. So look out for that in the next little bit

My novel is coming along nicely, I've finished the fifth chapter and though it isn't very long I am very happy with it thus far. I'm aiming at about 150-200 words. (Very short) But necessary for the 'feel' of the book

I don't quite know what else to say. I hope I can bring this thread back to life. I like talking to other writers
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2007 03:56
glad to hear your novel's working out, minstral. i have several going now: when i get stuck on one, i work on the other one for a bit. each one stretches my writing skills a bit, so the theory is i'm getting better .

i'm interested to read your poetry, too: what house is publishing it? and when is it coming out?

i had a poem i've been working on a bit too, and was wondering if ya'll were interested. it's inspired both by tolkien and the ancient world.

The Warrior

The ancient one;
The arcane one.
The immortal being;
The warrior.

One by one they stack the logs,
Handful by handful they lay the straw:
Unerring food for the voracious flame,
Vicious crimson tongues lapping at the form
As a panting deer desperate for water
After an unbearably long chase,
The fuel burning,
Burning for the past,
Burning for the living,
Burning for the warrior.

Regal is the face of the warrior,
Set in unconquerable stone for ages to come:
Set in rock for those who remember.
His dying cry yet echoes in the stone,
Yet echoing in the ears of those who watched him fall
As grief seized their hearts in hopelessness,
Helplessness to guard, to protect, to serve,
Eyes of a lion now closed as a lamb,
Each murmuring words of nothing into their being.

The souls are shrieking for vengeance,
Shrieking for justice and sweet, sweet revenge.
And who will give it to them?
Who will stand upon the banks of the river
And deny the warrior passage?
Who will weep for the fallen and not cry out his name?
Who will gaze upon the heavens
And not see his face, his form, his sword,
In the diamonds of night?
Who will forget his name?

The ancient one;
The arcane one.
The immortal being;
The warrior.

JaimeLouise
Send Message
on: December 13, 2007 07:03
That's great, pitya!
How's your novel doing?

Gumawerian
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2007 03:17
Whoa there are a lot of writers around! I can't believe I didn't notice before. As for me, I write a little bit of poetry when I'm inspired, and I'm currently (and very, very slowly) working on what will hopefully one day become a series of two or three fantasy-type novels. I'm having a bit of trouble though... I've got really general, overarching plot ideas, but as far as specifics go I don't have a lot yet. I've also spent a lot of time developing the world in which the stories take place, the background and history and cultures... I've had almost more fun doing that than writing and planning the story itself! That ends up being a problem when I have all these characters in this almost-complete world, but they're just standing there waiting for me to write them something to do! Oh, and Pitya, that's a great poem. Post more please?
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 24, 2007 07:04
why thank you. i wasn't sure, like i suppose i am with a lot of my work. that's the writer in me though it's never quite like i envisioned it.

my novel's working out okay; thanks for asking, Jaime! i'll get the semi-final drafts up and send you what i have, if you're still up for it . plotlines getting a bit complicated, and i'm trying to keep it all straight!

i understand what you're saying, Guma--sometimes creating the world is half the fun of creating a piece of work. one thing i try to help get the pen going is think about what i want the point of the story to be, whether its a specific idea driving the plot, or are the characters going to be the main ineterest, or simply plot-driven, or all of the above. i find its easier to come up with ideas if i know exactly what i'm going for; even how i want the reader to feel while reading it and after finishing it. best of luck
JaimeLouise
Send Message
on: December 26, 2007 12:49
Oh, goodie! Of course I'm up for it! I'm looking forward to it! What I've read of it so far is great!

Lady_Janora
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2008 08:17
It's a lovely idea (if it's still working)!
I write a bit, and I could help if anyone wants too.

/Lady Janora
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2008 07:03
I am a wannabe author, currently working on a fanfic-type thing about wargs, but it's really hard. I've been working on it since 29th March and am only on the second chapter. I usually write much faster than that. It's not very good either.
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email