Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Writers?
on: April 13, 2008 01:54
I'm a writer! I've had four things published in anthrologies through my Creative Writing class and I'm waiting to hear back about a fifth. I've written many different stories. I dunno if you'd classify them as 'novels' but I do. I like the whole medieval theme with lady knights. Of course I have my own races of Elves and that sort of thing too! Elven Lady Knights rock!
arwen1300
Gosling of Vána
Send Message
on: August 20, 2008 02:37
I'm writing a novel right now, and it's my first time. I'll get it typed up and pm anyone who wants to read it. I've had a few comments that the prologue doesn't flow and suggestions would be welcome.
I'd like to read your story, Pitya, if you still need help with it.
Image If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 14, 2010 12:04
This thread hasn't been happening for a while, but it is something I am REALLY interested in. I am doing about seven novels (all fantasy) at the last count. Though three are part of a trilogy. I am also a songwriter, which is sort of relavant to this thread.
Eantylië
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2010 01:57
wow it is so great to se so many writers around ^^
Hello everyone! For the moment i'm both writing and trying to illustrate my own fantasy novels ^^;
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2010 02:26
Me too. I forgot to mention that!
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2010 05:53
Ooooook, since the thread for writers in Nessa is dead I guess I'll jump in here.
For starters: Hi yall!!!
I love to write, I started with just writing LOTR fanfiction and have about a billion stories hanging around waiting to be finished.
I have three RL books in the makes. Two on hold and many more to come! One book I'm in the middle of is actually a bunch of short stories about one person. And (gasp) I actually finished the first one about a month ago! Can you believe that? I. Finished. It. Lol, its cute though, But needs a lot of work.
I can't wait to meet yall, I'm busier than a Hobbit planting a garden in spring but I'll try to keep in touch here. If anyone would like me to post my one finished story please tell me here or pm me (its about five short-ish chapters) and I'll try to get around to doing it in the next Elven lifetime
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2010 05:42
I'd love to read one of yours Indilwen! I'd say you could read something from mine, but I'm OCD positive, and I don't want people to read anything from that isn't finished!
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2010 07:55
Ok, I'll try to put it up this afternoon. It needs A LOT of work so some kind critiquing would be welcome.
P.S. Please call me Indi
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2010 08:02
Call me Mel!
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2010 01:56
Ok, here 'tis. If I forgot to mention this before, it is a real life story based in the Rocky Mountains of Montana. Now, I just finished editing to for the one millionth time and I changed some names so if some of it doesn't make sense please forgive me.
My spelling is also horrid to.
And some of that stuff about them being adopted by their Uncle, I don't know how realistic it is and it probably involves alot more to adopt but, I didn't feel like looking up anything.
(I hope this won't be to long to post).

Donna slowly woke up. It was dark, she was cold and she was alone. She sat up and looked around. She was not alone. A darker shadow in the black night around her stood several yards away, watching her. Her eyes grew huge and she tried to push herself back only to find that her hands were still tied. Suddenly a flood of memories came to her and she realized where she was and why she was there.
She had been kidnapped from her foster home that morning. The only thing she could remember was her cousin Katty, also a foster child, being ripped from her arms and dragged away fighting like a cat.
Once out in the woods the horse she had been ridding had tripped and she had slipped off, blacking out upon hitting the ground.
Tears streamed down her face. Her foster parents, though busy, had always tried to make them feel loved. Taken away from their parents and siblings, the two had become as close as sisters. Though they looked nothing like the other. Katty had reddish auburn hair and soft dark green eyes, Her face was still a little chubby from when she was a baby and she was always smiling. Donna, who was three years older than Katty at twelve, had jet black hair and eyes. She was quiet, shy, and she didn't like strangers. That was why when she was put in her foster home and found Katty there, though she had only met her once before, she had bonded with her right away.

Donna squeezed her eyes shut again. She pulled her knees up to her chest and hugged them tight. Burying her face against them her shoulders started shaking with sobs. She tried to keep them quiet but soon her whole body was shaking with her uncontrolled sobs. She tried to stay awake but after a few minutes her weariness won over and she slipped to the ground, asleep.

When she woke up something was standing above her. It was a pale buckskin stallion with a thick black mane and tail. She stared at him, wondering how something so beautiful could be real. She lay not moving, looking into his deep dark eyes. He stood above her, not threateningly but more protectively. When she seemed alright he stepped back and watched her slowly sit up. The sun streamed through the trees and Donna saw that she was in a small clearing. She sat and looked at him until he grumbled in his throat and gently bumped her shoulder with his nose. Realizing what he wanted, Donna tried to stood up and realized that her hands were still tied. Looking around she found a sharp rock and cut the ropes on them. When she came back to the stallion he nickered and turned himself so that his side was facing her and pushed her shoulder again so that she took a step toward him. She gasped and froze, waiting to see what he wanted. He blew through his nose and pushed her toward himself again.

"You don't-" She started to whisper but he interrupted her by nodded vigorously and nickering.

She had never mounted a horse before and wasn't quite sure how to. She hesitantly put her hand on his neck and slipped it up to his mane and grasped a hold of it. His shoulder was almost higher than her head and she didn't think she could jump that high. But he seemed to be getting impatient and so she tried. She jumped as hard as she could and pulled on his mane to help herself up. She swung her left leg up over his back and slowly righted herself. The stallion stood still and let her get used to being on him before he took a step forward and waited to see how she reacted. She gasped and grabbed his mane with both hands then waited for him to start again. He whinnied happily as he turned around and walked into the forest.

After a few minutes, once Donna had gotten used to ridding him at a walk, he moved into a jog. She unconsciously squeezed him with her legs. He tossed his head and quickened his pace to a lope.

Before long they were flying through the trees heading toward the nearing mountains. A smile slowly crept onto Donna's lips; for the first time in years she was truly happy.

They galloped for a long time heading up into the mountains. The stallion seemed to be keeping to a path but Donna saw none.

The sun started its western drop when the stallion finally stopped to rest. They were on a large ledge sticking out of the mountain side. Donna wearily slipped from the stallions back and dropped to the ground. She listened to the stallion breathing heavily but when she opened her eyes he was standing beside her looking over the valley below. She sat up and looked as well and saw why he had not stopped sooner. Two search parties were scanning the area. One were her captures, the other was a made up of the men in the town where Donna lived. She lay back down and looked up at the stallion. After a minute he turned his gaze on her. She looked up into his deep soft eyes.

"What is your name?" She asked. She didn't receive and answer and didn't know why she had asked.

He dipped his head down and nickered. Then he nosed her shoulder. She stood up and pulled herself up onto his back. He wheeled around and galloped up the narrowing path once more.

Chapter 2.

Kaos lifted his head and sniffed the wind. Their was something strange going on but he didn't have the slightest idea of what it might be. And that bothered him. For the last two days he and his mares had sensed something and had been on edge. He thought is was a threat but he wasn't sure. He shook his head and continued trotting toward the western horizon. He stopped short when he heard shouting. Humans? So near his herd? He wheeled around and started galloping back to them. They were a few miles away and so he took a short cut through the forest. He was flying along at top speed when suddenly he saw something laying by the foot of a huge oak. He can to a sliding stop and watched it. It didn't move. He took a careful step toward it and saw that it was a human. He jumped back and snorted. But still it didn't move. He stepped forward again and bent his nose down to sniff it. It was a girl and she was breathing. He didn't know whether that was good or bad. He lightly touched her shoulder and she moaned softly. He froze. Then he bumped her shoulder again. This time her eyes slowly opened and she turned her head to look at him. She had green eyes and redish brown hair which Kaos was almost hipmitised by. She watched him with calm eyes before she took a deep breath and released it in a sigh. Then they both heard voices. Quite close. Kaos nickered and bumped her shoulder again and she quickly got up and pulled herself up onto his back. He stood a moment wondering if this was really what he wanted but then he heard the voices again and felt the girl's legs press on his sides and he shot off like a cannon.

Katty awoke to find herself laying in the shadow of a large rock with a dark buckskin stallion standing near her watching her. She stretched and sat up. She looked over the plain and saw a small band of mares and foals grazing near her. She looked up at the stallion.

"And may I ask how I got here and why you are aren't scared of me?" She asked. The stallion jumped quite a noticeable bit and whirled around to look at her.

"So you are scared of me?" He tossed his head in denile and stepped nearer to her. He rustled her red hair with her muzzle and nickered softly to her. She smiled and gently stroked his forehead. Suddenly his head shot up and he called to his herd. Within a few seconds she was the centre of about 30 horse's attention. They all wanted to see her and sniff her and hear her. She giggled which only made them more curious. She looked up at the stallion and said
"This is chaos. And thats your name. Kaos."
He tossed his head and snorted and then started driving his herd away from Katty so she could have a chance to breathe and get up. He pranced back to her and pawed the ground.

"You want something don't you?" She asked. She tied her hair back in a knot and then approached the stallion. Suddenly he decided to play tag. He jumped back from her and waited to see if she would follow him. She laughed and ran after him.

They had been playing tag for quite a while when suddenly the air was spit by an ear piercing scream. Katty stopped and looked around wildly to see where it had come from. Kaos ran up to her and stood in front of her as he watched the forest to see who or what was coming toward them.

After a minute a dark buckskin stallion, almost identical to Kaos came galloping out of the trees. Kaos whinnied a greeting to the stallion and ran to meet him. They circled each other and snorted and whinnied, telling each other their latest news and excitement. Suddenly they both stopped and looked at each other. Kaos nodded and tossed his head toward Katty. The two of them trotted toward her still snorting and asking questions. The new stallion came up to Katty and looked her over. Then he turned to Kaos and nickered. The younger stallion answered the question and then listened to the story the other gave in return. He nodded and then looked at Katty.

"Will you please tell me what's going on, Kaos?" She asked putting her hands on her hips.

The stallion snorted and then turned back to his friend. Who was actually his brother. After a bit more nickering and whinnying, the other stallion turned and fled away. Kaos watched him until he disappeared in the trees and then turned back to Katty.

He pulled her to him and she mounted him. He loped through his herd until he came up to a creamy palomino mare with a silky white mane. Many people had seen her fly over the plains and had named her Scopia. Many others had tried to capture her but to no avail. Then Kaos found her when he was just starting his herd and won her heart over and made her his lead mare.

The mare stood still and watched the two. Kaos started dancing uneasily, wondering what his lead mare would think of Katty. But then Katty swore the mare smiled as she lowered her head and came to her stallion. The two touched noses and then Scopia glanced up at Katty with sparkle in her eye. Kaos nickered an explanation and then turned his head and whinnied to Katty. She dismounted and Scopia walked over to her and sniffed her clothes then she lipped her hair. Katty giggled.

"You like my hair?" She asked. Scopia nodded and swung her head around to Kaos and playfully nipped him. He snorted and in return gently pulled her mane. She squealed and leaned back on her hind legs, half rearing. Then, quicker than Kaos could realized what she was doing, Scopia pulled Katty to her and pushed her toward her side. Katty grabbed her mane and jumped up on her back. The mare whinnied shrilly and ran off over the plain. Kaos grumbled and galloped after them.

Katty laughed into the wind as they galloped along. Now she realized why so many people wanted to capture Scopia. She flew along the prairie as if she had wings, never tiring, never stopping, never slowing.

"And I have the pleasure of riding her and being her friend." Katty thought. She glanced back when she heard hoof beats and saw Kaos slowly gaining on them. She leaned forward on Scopia's neck and whispered, "Faster, he's gaining on us,"

Scopia snorted and burst forward with new energy. As she did so Katty heard Kaos scream in frustration. He had never been able to even come close to her when they were racing and now she was flying away with Katty.

Scopia came to a sliding stop when she heard him scream. She answered it and came running back to him. She slowed down while she was still nearly 50 yards from him and trotted sideways to him, tossing her head. Kaos watched her, unmoving. She stopped by him and lowered her head. Then she looked up at him through her forelock, as if to say she was sorry. He nickered and touched her forehead with his.

They nickered to each other for a minute before Scopia's head shot up. Kaos did the same and followed her gaze. A haughty looking black stallion was prancing toward Kaos' mares. And they were on the opposite side from him! Kaos bolted toward him scattering his mares. Scopia ran after him and began gathering the mares up into a herd and driving them away. She turned to look back once they were a safe distance away and saw the two stallions circling each other. Then the black let lose a nasty scream and body slammed Kaos.

"No!" Katty screamed and Scopia reared and whinnied to her stallion.

That distracted the black long enough to give Kaos an advantage and he took it. He body slammed the black back and launched into him with him teeth and hooves. Scopia snorted and then drove the herd over a rise and away from the fighting stallions.

Chapter 3.

They flew along for a long time. The sun reached the horizon and slid below it. The stars had begun to peep out when Ranifler, as she had begun to call him, finally slowed and trotted through a small tunnel and began climbing another steep, rocky mountain trail.

After about ten minutes they came out on a grassy plateau surrounded by mountains. A herd of about 75 or so mares and foals grazed there. Ranifler trotted through them, touching noses with his mares and playfully nipping his foals. Nearing the back of his herd he started moving with more hast. By the time he reached the back of the plateau he was running toward a small rise at the foot of the mountains. On the top stood a paint mare with a young black filly standing by her side. Ranifler charged up the rise and snorted a greeting to his lead mare. She stiffly touched noses with him and then glanced up at Donna sitting on Ranifler's back. Ran turned and looked up at her. She slipped down and watched his lead mare. Ran looked back at his mare and grumbled low in his throat. He seemed to be telling her something, Donna thought, probably about me. The mare sighed and blew through her lips in an irritated fashion. Then she nipped her foal's rump to get her back to her side. The filly had been slowly stepping toward Donna, her curiosity peeking. Ran glared at his mare but she only glared back. She was almost two hands shorter than him and had to look up a bit to see into his eyes but that didn't daunt her.

Donna stepped back, intending to give the two horses some time alone if thats what they needed but the instant she moved Ranifler turned his head around toward her and grabbed her sleeve in his teeth and pulled her back to him. His lead mare grumbled in disgust and turned away. Ran rolled his eyes and led Donna over to a small shallow cave in the side of the mountain. He pushed her into it and she lay down realizing that he wanted her to rest. As she drifted off to sleep she wondered what would happen tomorrow...

When Donna awoke it was because she felt something tickling her face. She slowly opened her eyes to see Ranifler's lead mare's filly watching her with big curious eyes. When the filly saw her open her eyes she jumped back and ran to her mother's side. Donna took a deep breath and let it out. Then she sat up and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. She stood up and walked over to the mare's side. She ignored Donna. Donna smiled. Then she looked down at the filly hiding in her mother's tail.

Suddenly she felt something touch her shoulder. She turned around to see Ranifler standing behind her. He gently pulled her hair with his lips and then walked over to his lead mare.
"Ran?" Donna asked. "Can I name your mare?"
The stallion turned his deep brown eyes on her. From the look in them Donna was sure he knew exactly what she was talking about. He nodded and turned back to look over the plateau and his mares.

That day was spent meeting new mares and their foals and finding all the hiding places of the plateau. Near the back was a creek that supplied the horses with water. And by it grew several fruit trees.

Once the mares and their foals got used to Donna and saw that she wasn't a threat they accepted her and soon the foals where happily playing with her.

Donna flopped down on the grass, worn out from playing tag with them. She closed her eyes but after moment opened them when she felt someone near her. It was Lakiah, Ran's lead mare. Ranifler was away scouting the area and he had left Donna in Lakiah's care. When the mare saw her open her eyes she turned partly away and acted like she had just been grazing. Donna smiled and sighed. She loved it here. She had never really been around horses before and didn't realize how much she loved them.

Donna slowly woke up. She hadn't realized she had fallen asleep. Ran wasn't back yet even though it was after sunset. Almond, Lakiah's foal, lay near her, watching her with big fearless eyes. Lakiah grazed by them, every once in a while raising her head to look toward the path the Ranifler would return by. It continued to darken and when the stars started peeping out Lakiah nickered to them and began walking toward the rise to the back of the platue. Almond pulled herself up and nickered to Donna too before sprinting off after her mother.

Donna stood up and followed them. She was almost there when suddenly she felt the other mares start moving and saw Lakiah's head come up and look behind her. Then the mare whinnied and rushed past her. Donna turned to see Ran galloping toward them. He stopped in front of Lakiah and they nickered and snorted to each other before Ran turned and galloped off again.

Lakiah turned back to Donna and nickered quietly to her as if trying to tell her whatever Ranifler had told her. The mare sighed when Donna didn't seem to understand her and turned to trot up the hill. Donna followed her and lay down in the cool grass on it's top. She was just drifting off to sleep again when she felt Almond lay down beside her.

Chapter 4.

It was torture for Katty to wait for Kaos to come back. It seemed like forever but in reality it was only half an hour. Once Scopia stopped the herd and let them rest Katty slipped down from her and walked over to the shade of a cliff. A dark bay colt bounced over to her and let her pet him before he bolted back to his mother in fained fear.

Katty smiled. "I wish I could name them all. But there are so many I probably wouldn't remember all of them." She thought. She watched a group of foals play together and for some reason it reminded her of Donna. "I wonder what happened to her. I probably won't ever see her again." She pondered sadly. Yet she didn't know how untrue that statement was.

Finally Kaos came over the rise and looked down on them. Scopia ran up to him and uttered a worried nicker. He shook his head and then limped down to the rest of his harem. Katty stood up and slowly approached him, wondering what he would do. But he seemed glad to see her and let her look at his wounds. They weren't serious, though Katty knew they still hurt him. He had a nasty bite near his mane and a minor cut along his left front leg, causing him to limp.

She led him over to a small spring bubbling out of the cliff. She picked his mane out of the bite on his neck and gently washed it. Then she bent down to look at his leg. She cupped her hands and filled them with water from the spring and let the water seep through her hand onto the cut. He snorted and she knew that the cold water hurt and helped the cut at the same time.

"Its alright, Kaos. I'm almost done." She soothed.

He grunted and sniffed her hair. Suddenly his head shot up and he looked toward the forest, now farther away since they had moved. The dark buckskin stallion appeared on the top of the rise and greeted Kaos with a loud whinny. Kaos answered him and then looked at Katty as if asked permission to go.

"Yes, I'm done. Go see what he wants." She told him.

He nodded and bolted off to see his brother. They snorted and nickered to each other and Kaos told him about fighting the black. His brother seemed proud that he had beaten another stallion on his own.

After a bit Kaos came trotting back to Scopia and his brother disappeared into the forest.

Katty looked up at the sky and saw that it was darkening. Had it really been only last night that she and Donna had been kidnapped? It seemed a life-age ago. She sighed as she thought of Donna.

"I hope she escaped like me." She said aloud to herself. "If she didn't then..... I will go find her and kill all those nasty guys!"

Kaos heard her talking to herself and came over to her. He rubbed his head on her shoulder and nickered to her. She stood up and stroked his forelock. Then, grasping his mane, she jumped up on his back. He tossed his head and cantered back to his herd.

Rounding them all up into a tight bunch he herded them south, past the forest and toward the mountains.

Scopia galloped out in front of them tossing her head in the wind.

They ran along for a few minutes nearing the southern mountains. Scopia slowed down to a jog as the came within their shadows. Two mountains loomed up in front of them, an opening, barely 6 yards wide spanning between them.

Kaos pushed his harem through the opening and they entered a large valley, ringed with mountains. Scopia danced and bucked around the herd making sure they where all there. Then she trotted up to Kaos and tossed her forelock out of her eyes. They were twinkling with mischief. Kaos sighed and rubbed his forehead on her shoulder. She gently started grooming his neck but Katty could tell she really wanted some action.

She slowly slipped off Kaos' back on the opposite side of Kaos than Scopia was. But the mare still saw her. Her ears pricked up and her bright eyes landed on Katty.

Kaos' eyes were closed and he didn't see or feel Katty dis-mount from him. Katty swore Scopia raised her eyebrows and as she pretended to relax and began to groom Kaos to sleep.

After nearly fifteen minutes, Kaos was contentedly snoring and Scopia slowly stepped away from him and his head slipped off her back. If horses could grin, thats what she did. She trotted around to Katty and pulled her hair.

Katty reached up and gently pulled the mare's mane. Scopia snorted and snatched Katty's jacket off of her and ran half way around the herd before Katty realized what she had done.

"Scopia!" She cried and then glanced at Kaos clapping her hand over her mouth.

But Kaos was still snoring away, worn out from fighting the stallion that afternoon.

Katty smiled and ran after Scopia, which was what the horse wanted. She was bored and was thoroughly enjoying having Katty around. She was, according to the mare, her own personal playmate since none of the other mares would play with her and Kaos was constantly trying to look dignified in front of his herd.

She pranced just a little to far in front of Katty for the girl to catch her. Katty was ready for some fun and readily ran after her.

After a few minutes Scopia got tired of playing that game and tossed Katty her jacket back. She glanced over the herd at Kaos and saw he was still sleeping. She glanced back at Katty and tossed her head to the side. She nipped at the grass before her but not with much heart. Sometimes she wished she could still roam the prairie without have an eagle-eye stallion watching her all the time.

She sighed and bent her knees and rolled over on her shoulder. She lay on her side for a few second and then rolled over on her back, flopping around happily.

She stopped after a few minutes and lay on her side again. Katty came over and sat on her up-turned side and rubbed her neck. The mare sighed contentedly and closed her eyes.

Katty glanced up at the sky and saw that the sun had already fallen behind the mountains. Her eyes slowly started to droop and she slumped forward and fell asleep with her head laying on Scopia's neck.

Chapter 5. (wow I didn't think I had written this much)(Part 2)

Late that night Ranifler finally came back. He quietly flew along through his mares and up the hill to Lakiah. He nickered a question to her and looked toward where she nodded. When he saw Donna sleeping with Affection he turned back to Lakiah. He told her all that had happened that day and what he was planning to do. Lakiah nodded and said nothing. The stallion ruffled his nose through his mare's mane and sighed with contentment when he felt her start to groom his back.

Donna awoke when Ranifler bumped her shoulder and grunted. Her eyes slowly opened and focused on him. He pulled on her sleeve and she stood up and went to the creek to wash her face. When she was done Ran indicated that he wanted her to mount him and once she did he took her down the mountain. Once they were down in the forest, Ranifler quickened his pace to a lope.

They flew through the forest but Donna didn't pay attention to it. She was still trying to wake up. The last few days were starting to tell on her and she really just wanted to sleep for the rest of the week.

They came out of the forest and Ranifler slowed to a walk for a while. Donna almost slipped forward and fell asleep on his neck when he woke her up by starting into a lope again. They were nearing a southern range of mountains and Donna looked up at them and gasped. The sun was bathing them in a beautiful sunrise. Almost more that anything Donna loves sunrises.

Ranifler loped on, not caring about the sunrise or the beauty of the mountains. He was a stallion on a mission, and now that Donna was more awake she wondered where he was taking her.

"Where are we going, Ran?" She asked.

He nickered and slowed as he pass though a gap between two large mountains and entered a large valley filled with.... horses.

Donna looked around thoroughly confused.

"Ran...?" She started to ask but was interrupted when a dark buckskin stallion came barreling toward them.

Ranifler nickered to him and the stallion returned with a frightening yet delighted scream. Donna's eyes grew huge and she clutched Ranifler's mane more tightly.

Ran felt her grasp his mane and protectively nipped the other stallion in warning. But the other seemed not to notice. He turned and called back to his herd in whinny and after a minute a golden palomino mare came trotting around the herd toward them.

And on her back sat a girl. She had messy red braids and had a soft dusting of freckles on her face. She looked disturbingly like...

"KATTY!" Donna screamed nearly falling of Ranifler in her haste to get to her cousin. Katty nearly went white when she recognized Donna and in turn leaped off the palomino mare and ran toward Donna. They embraced and Katty nearly crushed Donna with her strong arms. But Donna hardly noticed she was sobbing so hard.

"Shh, shh, Donna don' cry. I'm here now and I won't go away." Katty soothed and patted her cousin's hair.

Donna hiccuped and tried to stop crying. She wiped her eyes and pulled back, looking into Katty's eyes. Katty smiled and Donna tried to smile back but more tears sprang to her eyes instead.

Katty pulled her hair and glanced over to Ranifler.

"So whats your story? It seems very similar to mine." She asked.

"This is Ranifler." Donna said turning to Ran. He stepped toward her when she named him and rubbed her shoulder affectionately."He found me the night we were kidnapped. I fell of the horse they had put me on and blacked out when I hit the ground. When I woke up Ranifler was near me and took me to his hide out where he keeps his mares. That was about three days ago though."

Katty nodded. "'bout the same with me. Kaos found me two nights ago in the north of the forest. He and his herd where out on the plain and he brought us here last night."

Donna glanced over at Ran and then asked "Who is Kaos?"

Katty pointed to the buckskin stallion Ran was nickering with. "I think they're brothers or something."

Ranifler grumbled at Kaos and looked back at Donna. He twitched one of his ears and walked over to her snorting and neighing.

"What do you want, boy?" Donna whispered. She knew Ran was trying to ask her something and she wished with all her might that she could understand him.

He rubbed her shoulder and ruffled her hair. She softly stroked his muzzle and he lipped her fingers. She looked deep into his eyes, still trying to find out what he wanted to tell her.

After a minute she wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her face in his mane.

"Donna?" Katty asked.

"What?" Donna mumbled into Ran's mane.

"Whats the matter?"

"He wants to take us back. He knows we can't live with horses for the rest of our lives."

"But, but what if they don't take us back? What if the law or whatever takes us away? We've escaped the search parties and the law might be mad at Mother and Father about this whole thing. And we could get in lots of trouble for not coming back." Katty tried to think of as many bad things as she could about going back.

"I know. All of that is true but its also true that we can't live with horses for the rest of our lives as much as I wish we could." Donna said, pulled back and pushing her hair out of her face.

Katty crossed her arms. "I'm not going back."

Ranifler sighed through his nose and swished his tail. Donna glanced at her cousin and shook her head.

"We have no choice. Sooner or later they'll find us and the longer we wait the more trouble we'll be in." She stroked Ran's mane.

Ranifler pushed Donna toward his side and she turned to Katty. "We have to go." She hugged her cousin and then mounted Ran. "We'll come back soon."

Katty watched Ranifler carry Donna away. She frowned. No one would ever make her go back. No matter how much Donna said they had to. She wouldn't!

Chapter 6

The next morning Donna awoke when Almond tickled her with her whiskers. She smiled and sat up. Lakiah was standing near watching her. Ranifler was laying on his side on the sun on her other side. Donna stood up and pet Almond so that the filly would stop butting her.

Ran stood up and shook himself when he heard Donna get up. He looked her over and then fell to grazing. Donna sat down by Lakiah and looked over Ran's herd. Even though she hadn't met all of them she felt attached to each and every one of them. She sighed and looked up at Lakiah. The mare was watching her and when she looked up at her she didn't look away. Instead the mare bent her head down and lipped Donna's hair. It almost brought tears to her eyes. She so wished that she didn't have to go back. But she knew she must. If she knew that she would be able to stay in Cherryton and be aloud to visit Ran that would be fine. But she didn't know whether she would would be taken away or not. And then she might be separated from Katty. She couldn't even stand the idea.

For the next four days Donna stayed with Ranifler visiting Katty almost everyday. She finally got Katty to grudgingly accept the reality of going back. She stayed with Ran all the time, following him or riding him where ever he went.

Finally on the fourth day they both knew that the girls had to go back. They had seen two search parties in that time and had hidden from both of them.

Ranifler carried her to Kaos's home range and they slowly began walking toward Cherryton. The two stallion were fine with taking the girls back, even though they would miss them. They were only a bit apprehensive about going near the town. But the trusted the girls to protect them.

The early afternoon sun watched them as they carefully neared the town. Kaos was dancing nervously but Ranifler jogged steadily on, his ears laid almost flat on his head.

When they were still nearly a mile from the town when suddenly they heard a shout and hooves beating on the plain.

Ranifler locked his knees and came to a dead stop almost immediately and pricked ears toward the on coming riders to the north-west. Kaos stopped when his brother did and stood between him and the humans. He knew how his brother felt about Donna and didn't want him to hurt himself.

Donna gasped as the riders came closer and one shouted as he recognized the girls. Ran snorted a warning and stepped back, tossing his forelock threateningly.

But the riders paid no heed. Within seconds they where surrounded and the men asking them so many questions neither Donna nor Katty had the time to even think of the answer.

Finally Katty managed to say, "We are, we are coming back, and-"

"Where have you been this whole time?" One of the men demanded.

"With them." Donna managed to whisper, gently patting Ranifler's neck.

"What do you mean girl? You're not making sense." Another said.

Suddenly a man on a dark gray horse came forward and silenced the others. He was tall and had jet black hair and soft dark green eyes. Katty gasped when she realized that he looked a lot like Donna. Or maybe Donna looked like him.

He smiled and dismounted, coming over to Katty. "Are you Katelyn? And is this your sister Donna?"

Katty nodded.

He turned his soft eyes on Donna. "Where you kidnapped from your foster home a week ago?"

Donna looked down at Ranifler's mane, not wanting this man to see her tears.

He took it as a yes and turned to his men. "We'll be fine. Please go back to the town and tell the girls foster parents we've found them. And tell the authorities to." He watched his men go and then turned back to the girls. "Are you alright? What happened that we couldn't find you?"

"Kaos found me and Ranifler found Donna. We stayed with them." Katty said, more relaxed now that the other men were gone.

He raised his eyebrows in surprise. "You stayed with wild horses?"

"Yes, and-" Donna started to say but Ranifler stopped her by finally getting irritated enough to rear and neigh loudly. "Shh, Ran its alright." She whispered to him.

Brenden, for that was the man's name, watched in amazement as the wild stallion actually calmed under Donna's soothing touch.

"You know, Miss Donna, if you're a horse charmer I could use you at my ranch. I train and break horses and have quite a few that need special attention from someone like you."

"I, I'm not a horse ch-charmer." Donna stammered. "He just, umm,"

Brenden laughed. "You certainly are a horse charmer if a wild stallion will listen to you. If you're friends will allow it, than I will take you back to Cherryton. You have been missed."

"Only because it wouldn't look right if we weren't." Katty mumbled, sliding off Kaos' broad back.

Brenden smiled. He knew it was true. These were two unwanted foster girls and it broke his heart to know that they wouldn't be able to go back to their foster parents, the only people they knew. He watched as Donna leaned forward and whispered something into Ranifler's mane. He nickered back to her and turned his head to bump her knee. She slid of his back and wrapped her arms around his neck. He whinnied and grunted to her, lipping her hair. Suddenly she burst into tears and pushed herself away from the stallion and stepped back toward Katty and Brenden. Ran watched her and then turned and flew away over the plain followed by Kaos. Donna turned around and fell into Brenden's arms, hardly aware of what she was doing, she was crying to hard.

Brenden held her until she started hiccuping and drew back from him.

"I, I'm -hic- sorry I--" But Brenden cut her off.

"Its ok, Donna, you'll see him again. It'll be alright." He said stroking her hair and brushing the tears off her cheeks. He hoped what he said was true but he doubted it.

She hiccuped again and let Brenden lift her into his horse's saddle. He put Katty behind her and led them into Cherryton.

Chapter 7
When they reached the town, the street were fairly lined with people waiting to see them, hearing that they had tamed wild stallions and where going to ride in like queens. Of course none, of this was true, the story had grown since Brenden's men had come back.

Brenden led them to the court house and tied his gelding to a hitching post. He lifted the girls down and went with them inside the huge stone building. In the main hall Donna recognized her foster parents but she did not run to them. She stayed by Brenden's side and hugged his hand. She felt safer with him than with her parents. They had tried to love her, she knew but she didn't really love them back.

A man in a uniform came out of a room to their left and bid all of them follow him back in. They did and once inside they saw a man behind a desk looked closely at a stack of papers.

"Papers." Donna thought. "Thats all we are is a names on paper."

She sat down next to Katty where she was told and felt Katty's cold hand press into hers. Donna held her hand tightly, dreading to know what was going to be done to them.

The man behind the desk cleared his throat. "Ah, Mr. Roganer," He addressed their foster father. "We believe that you were not taking good enough care of the girls, other wise this whole thing would not have happened. We always wondered whether you had to many children."

"But sir," Mr. Roganer began.

"Please, let us-"Mrs. Roganer started to beg but the man cut her off.

"The papers are already signed. You may say farewell to the girls in the hall."

"Mr. Harador, are the girls going back up for adoption? Where will they be sent? Please let me adopt them." Brenden asked.

"Mr. Emerson, " Mr. Harador said.

"Emerson?" Donna thought. "Thats Katty's and my last name!"

"Since you are the girls' uncle and only surviving relative that we know of, I was told to ask you if you would take the girls. If you can't I underst-"

"I will take them. Now." Brenden's voice was hard and determined. It would have brought tears to Donna's eyes if she wasn't so surprised to find out that this kind man was her uncle.

"Good." Mr. Harador smiled. "Than sign here. There are three papers for you to sign and you are to read--"

His voice droned on and on but Donna stopped listening. She looked at Katty and saw that her face was white. Her eyes were huge and unbelieving. They were being adopted? For good? This man was their uncle? Where did he come from? A billion questions exploded into their minds.

Suddenly Brenden was kneeling before them. "Come with me." He said smiling. He took their hands and led them out into the hallway. Mr and Mrs. Roganer were gone and for that Donna was rather glad. She didn't want to say good bye to them or even see them again. She never wanted to ever think about that part of her life again.

They walked outside and down the stairs to where Brenden's horse was waiting. He put Katty in the saddle, mounted behind her and pulled Donna up behind him.

Donna hardly remembered the ride home. She smiled as she wrote it in her diary. That was nearly three years ago. Uncle Brenden wanted her story for a study of foster children and their lives. She dipped her pen in her ink bottle and wrote:

"All she remembered was Brenden telling them about himself and about the ranch, how long he had been there and how he had found out that they where his nieces."

Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2010 02:05
Wow, that's alot of work! It makes me feel like I'm not doing enough on my books! I'll get back to you on the reading, I want to read it slowly.
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2010 03:34
Okay, I've read it once, it was really good! I liked the story and the horses! I did have a couple of things to say:

1. I think on one instance, you put in Affection instead of Almond, I don'tknow if that was intentional or not.

2.The ages of the girls was a bit confusing, I'm not sure how old the two girls are.

3. The relationship between Ranifler and Kaos is not usually how it happens in the wild I think. Stallions don't like other stallions outside their own herd to come near their mares. I'm also not sure whether horses frequently start their own herds, I thought they usually take over existing ones; of course, I might just be totally wrong and you can ignore me!

4. What time period is this set in? Are they in the 1800s and have to wear dresses? Or are they in pants and in our 21st century? Wearing dresses might make it harder to mount, especially bareback.

I thought it was really good! A bit rough around the edges with punctuation and grammar, but it's always a working progress.

[Edited on 18/11/2010 by Vanwa_Meleth]
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2010 08:54
I know its a bit confusing. Lemme try to answer your questions.

Almond: At first her name was Affection so like I said I did change some names and I don't know if I changed them all at the right places. Thanks for telling me.

>< In my first manuscript I did say that Donna was 12 and that Katty was two or three years younger. Sorry, I'll have to go back and put that in.

I know that Ran and Kaos' relationship is kinda unrealistic but I don't know how to change it and still have it like that way it is. They are brothers and grew up together so they know each other. I might change it so that they still meet at times but stay away from each others herds.

Well, that is true about stallions taking others herds and with Kaos thats kinds the case. He stole some mares from various herds to start his own. Does that help?

Its late 1800s(like 1890) or early 1900s. They do wear dresses but they're not really straight. They're very full dresses so it makes it easier to mount.

Thanks so much for reading it and helping me critique it! I'll edit it a bit more and then repost it for you to read.
Oh, and P.S. I am writing a sequel to it
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2010 09:40
I agree that there is not an easy way to change the relationship between Kaos and Ran without affecting the way the two girls meet. Thanks for clarifying some things, I'm the kind of person who needs things dumied down a bit! lol

I'd love to read the sequel! I'll see if I can find it in me to put one of my stories up, once it's absolutely perfect!
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2010 10:11
Lol, do you beat your stories up alot to perfect them? Like edit the pickles out of them?
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2010 10:40
I just try to write them and review them as go. But I get rid of stuff I don't like alot!!
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2010 01:34
Lol, my friend does that and has only finished one story because of that. Authors tend to 'edit' their stories to much and think they aren't good at all unless they change and re-write and re-write over and over. Not saying you do but the one story my friend did finish she wrote and hardly edited and it is the best story I have ever read. Every time I read it I have to constantly remind myself that she wrote it.
Eantylië
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2010 01:39
I'm trying to push myself into writing more and faster. I'm trying out the challenge to write at least one page per day! Hopefully it will take the story somewhere ^^; (i'm only on my 7:th page)

It is really nice to hear that there are people out there who actually have the stamina to finish their writings.
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2010 01:46
I come up with a bunch of different book ideas and either write them or save the title on the computer! I do have a couple books I'm more involved with.
Eantylië
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2010 01:53
I believe I have 3 major stories i'd like to write about my world (all fantasy), thou my drawing addiction tend to steal writing time...

Huw much do you people write? (like how often?) .. if you don't mind me asking ...
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2010 02:01
About three or four times a week. I have two and maybe three story ideas that I need to wait on. I have two that I'm actively working on now and one that I'm in the middle of but haven't written in for several months. If I start to many stories than its hard to write because I have so many ideas its hard to divide them up to which story they go to if that makes sense
Eantylië
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2010 02:14
It kinda does I guess >.>

I somehow have the idea of how my stories plays out done already... its just so hard to make the story flow all the way to the end and try to weave in some interesting and thrilling plot into the whole thing... or perhaps it is just me who is trying to make it too complicated D:
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2010 02:20
Lol, my problem is I don't want to have to introduce all my charries and tell about their personalities and open up the plot. I just want to jump right in and write the climax right away!
Eantylië
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2010 02:27
Ha ha I'm sitting with that right now, I really really want to jump straight to the point where things really happens .. buuut ... I've decided to get the beginning working first... kinda like letting my characters get to know each other before the storm begins.

Kinda cheated a bit with writing a short prologue to the main story where I get to tease the reader to want to get to that part too xD

... I feel so evil ... ._.
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2010 02:35
I love and hate those kind of books! I love them because I have just a leetle bit of in site about the climax but I HATE it because I really really really want to find out the what who where why and how of it all.
Eantylië
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2010 02:41
writing is really an adventure in itself eh?
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2010 02:43
Yup! Sometimes I wish someone else were writing the story and I was reading it cuz its the kind of story I would love to read myself. Know the feeling?
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 19, 2010 01:24
I try to write in my stories alot more often than I really do. And I ALWAYS write an intro in my books, and usually get right in to the story near the start of the real 'start'!

And I totally agree Indi! I would rather some one else write them and me read them!
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 19, 2010 02:13
I tried to write an intro to one of me stories but it didn't work very much.
Eantylië
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2010 06:27
Takes some time to get it right but it can be very much worth it ;3
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2010 07:27
I have to write an intro to my books, or no one one would understand what I'm talking about!
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2010 09:19
True, but I like to write alot of explanatory dialog in the first few chapters. I love dialog
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2010 09:22
I do too, I'm just not very good at it!
Eantylië
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2010 09:23
I love to write dialog too but i'm afraid the readers would get bored from too much talking D:
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2010 09:29
That's probably true, but if you need alot of dialog, than I don't see why it would be a problem. I mean movies are mostly dialog aren't they?
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email