Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
CailinnElanesse
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Writers?
on: May 09, 2004 10:52
I love to write!! I was wondering, though, what you all do when you get writer's blocks? Or when you have brilliant ideas and you just can't seem to get them on paper the way you want to? This happens to me all the time, and it is so frustrating. *sigh*
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 01:46
Cailinn - just write... It doesn´t matter how bad it is, just write. You can go back and re-write but will you necessarily remember? You are the only one ever going to see the first draft of anything, so it doesn´t matter how bad or how messy anything is. Just write. It is the best advice that I can offer. Don´t worry about where to start, you don´t have to start at the beginning if you don´t want to if the first thing that comes out is the end, then the first thing that comes out is the end.
Vanya
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 04:07
*pokes head into thread and hopes she is not interrupting anything*

Hi, I'm an aspiring writer. I am sort of struggling, though. Also, if anyone has any tips on writing multiple stories at one time, I would be very appreciative.

Vanya
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 06:00
The only thing I can say about writing multiple stories at one time is don't force any of your stories! Write what comes to mind for whichever story comes to mind - if you're posting on ff.net, don't worry about reviewers harassing you for updates, just go at your own pace. A story sounds better when you take your time and make sure you get it right, than when you force it out and write down whatever junk comes to mind

Just be patient with your stories!

[Edited on 21/5/2004 by Mara]
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 01:21
Multiple storylines... I love squiggly diagrams and arrows... Just so I know what fits in where.

Just a warning to you all, I don´t actually post fan-fic, all my writing is done, for most of the part, with the intention of actually getting published... So my advice has a very certain slant on it.
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2004 08:24
Aye, you sound like I do, Vanya. I always have multiple stories working at once. One thing that's nice about it is that if you can't think of an idea for one, then you can always work on another. I have a lot of little fan fictions (either one or two chapters planned) and a longer one that I'm working on, with original characters. I also have several original pieces that I'm doing.

One piece of advice to any writer is to keep a journal. Oftentimes, I find that several things that I write about have actually happened to me, in a sense. I don't really have a good example right now, so I'm sorry about that.

About writer's block, one good way to stop it is to listen to music! (and if you need or want any more advice, the Creations Corner has a thread on writing.)

One exercise that one of my friends challenged me with was to pick a quote or lyrics to a song and write about them. See what you can come up with. It can be commentary, prose, poetry, a journal entry, fan-fic, original fic, etc. Sometimes, it'll help give you ideas.

~Elizabeth
elvenmaidofmirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2004 07:46
If this thread blossoms into a writer's club, I'm in! Currently writing a fantasy novel 2 but the beginning really sucks. The latest parts are better.

Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: August 10, 2004 01:08
Okay, I don't have mod approval to do this or anything, so appologies to the mods and admin, but I don't have time to wait for a reply to a nice email requesting permission to do this, I been waiting a week on another site and I need to get this organised ASAP.

That having been said. I have an ongoing assignment this semester for Usability Design (IT/Software eng subject) and I have to do various studies and designs for a site (since web-based programming is by far my strongest suit), based on, actual USERS. Now this thread has discussed the idea of an online writers group and I also know other individuals, who have expressed the same desire. So I thought this might make a good project for my semester, but I can't do anything without actual USERS, like you folks, who would be interested in using such a site.

If you are interested in helping me out, please PM me, or email me at: [email protected]

Thnx
kellymulder
CoE Volunteer & Seagull of Ulmo
Send Message
on: September 22, 2004 08:21
I love to write, I'm in a number of 'rp's but I also write just little stories or poems and I'm now busy writing a large story. I really would like to join Lozza and others in writing clubs. I have only one problem, most things I write, I write in Dutch. I will search through my notebooks if I have something in English though... Does any of you speak Dutch, I would like to have some test readers...
Illuin
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2004 07:41
wow-haven't seen this thread yet. Aspiring writer here too! Right now I have a killer outline for a trilogy type series on science fiction. It should kick butt when I decide to actually start it-which I plan to do today anyway lol. I love writing although most of my talent is in art. Wrote poems, fan fiction, short stories, songs, etc. And I was always afriad to write something of my own for fear of sounding too much like the influences I had from many of the books that I've loved. And yes I'm a bookworm lol
This thread sounds cool and even though I sounds like my ground is pretty firm on this story, believe me when I say it's not. Lots of stuff is making me put it off, in need of ideas for certain stuff, stress from school and all sorts of things. And I plan on getting my story published so yea, pretty important stuff lol. So help would be pretty cool and of course I would be more than willing to give help as well :blush:
Count me in!

[Edited on 2/10/2004 by Illuin]

[Edited on 2/10/2004 by Illuin]
Diamond_Pippins_Wife
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2005 05:59
I'm a writer, though most of my stuff recently has been poetry. In fact, I have it all on my deviantART site, http://kagura-sess.deviantart.com so please go check it out! I entered one of my poems in a contest on poetry.com and won the editor's award and got in the semi-finals. I used to write fan-fics, but now my stories are all mine. I just have to finish them ^^;
Rebecca_C
CoE Volunteer & Weeper of Nienna
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 01:57
I love writing. A few days ago I finished a LotR fanfic, but it needs proofreading. Really, I want someone to read it and tell me if it's good enough to keep writing. If anyone's interested, pm me. I'd love to get some feedback. If it reads OK then I'll try something of my own rather than borrowing from Tolkien!
MeiLin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2006 07:59
I love the idea of starting a writing club. I myself love to read and write. I would be more than happy to help anyone. I can only use the computer on weekends so not to interupt my homework during the week. I am willing to give it my best though.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 25, 2006 11:22
oooo, a writing club! Sounds like fun. I love writing myself. I am currently working on a story, and its fun.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2006 05:06
Hey everyone, can I join this? I'm an author, I've been published several times in anthologies (unfortunetly available in only one location, grrrrr.....) It was a contest that I've won four years running.
It is, I think, the only thing I have to be proud about. I am writing a book, hopefully I will finish it in a few years (that is how long I am estimating it to take) I love writing.
I blame tolkien for it!
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2006 03:32
wow! Thats amazing Minstral! The things you learn about your friends.
I don't think I'm that good, but I do love to write. Tolkien definately got me started.
I haven't actually entered any contests, but I hope to when another comes up.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2006 06:26
I honestly don't think it matters if you are a good writer or not, if you enjoy what you do then there is nothing to it. Happiness in one's work is the best thing anyone could have.
Tolkien loved his works, and I love my works, which is why I think I have been so successful. Just keep writing ElfmadienofLorien, and everyone else, because truth to tell, writing is the greatest thing out there
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 08:35
so true Minstral. And I do love what I write:heart:
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2007 03:15
I write fan fic and poetry.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: March 28, 2007 09:23
I've just joined the Henneth Annun Story Archive site, but it's so big and terrifying I'm not sure my writing will be OK. I have written a few short stand-alone scenes, which might eventually hang together as a longer work. I know who is in it and where I want it to go, but the writers on HASA are really awesome I feel quite intimidated. Has anyone else experience of this site?
Túrwen87
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2007 12:12
Hey!

A writers' club.... This sounds really, really interesting!!!! I'm also writing stories, poetry and fanfics, even though I don't have much time because of university. But it is fun anyway....
Well, in fact I ahve the same problem like kellymulder already said. I don't write much in English. My native language is German, but I've already planned to translate the story I'm writing into English any time. But if there is anyone speaking German you can pm me and we can exchange our works, this would be very interesting, I think....

Well, all in all I'm writing my own fantasy/adventure story at the moment. It's about a young man who does not know where he comes from and is in search of his past and his memories. But there are also other main characters who play an important role....

But I don't want to get on your nerves. I just wanted to say: I would like to join if the club will start ....
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2007 09:15
Ooh, ooh, I'm a writer! I love to write poems, stories, anything really. I even startd on a play but sort of abandoned it. I also love to draw and sketch but that is a different story.
I am writing a fantasy novel also but right now it is a fanfic. My mother wishes for me to get it published after I tweak it and change names of course! Well, I think that is all I have to say other than if you start a writers club, count me in! ( that is if you wish for me to join )
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2007 10:26
I have a few fanfics on this site as well, but I also have a fantasy novel that I'm finishing up.

I love poetry, but am terrible at writing my own. I hope to write a screen play soon, I want to act it out with my friends or something fun like that.

My fantasy novel also needs some tweaking and name changing. I'll confess that I have an Elven Captain named Haldir, but that was only because I could not think of any other names at the time, I obviously have to change it if I'm planning on publishing it though, lol
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: April 07, 2007 11:04
I love to write:love: I've been writing, well, since I learned to write actually. Small children's stories and some simple poetry, stuff like that. Then I started off with some sort of fantasy story when I was 13 but after almost five years all I got is a notebook filled with loose notes, lol. Last autumn I participated in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) and I tried historical fiction for the first time. I managed more tha 50.000 words in one month (actually I got 64.000) but my novel still isn't finished (it's about 130.000 words now). It's a bit of a mess too, because I had to write so fast (no time for research), but it's fun. I hope I can finish it before the summer holidays, and then I can start doing research and editing.

I'll confess that I have an Elven Captain named Haldir, but that was only because I could not think of any other names at the time, I obviously have to change it if I'm planning on publishing it though, lol

Hehe... I've got about ten characters who need new names. At the moment they have names like Bob, Harold, Jeff, Frank, George and John :rolleyes:

[Edited on 9/4/2007 by Celedë_Anthaas]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2007 02:26
yeah, I find it hard to get real good names that match the characters sometimes, but then again sometimes the names fit perfectly. Strange....
Caleniel41
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2007 04:57
I love writing! I've been keeping journals for a long time.. almost since I could write. I'm currently working on several stories, but unfortunately none of them are very good... I get severe writers block much too often... I also waste my time trying to write poetry
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2007 10:24
I am actually almost finished with a novel, it has taken years! I still need to do some editting and stuff, but I'm loving the story. I wish there was a way that you guys could read it but I can't post it here....it's far too long!
Túrwen87
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 26, 2007 07:38
@ ElfmaidenofLorien: You could post a short piece of it, so that we can get an impression of it. Because I think that I'm speaking for all of us when saying that we are curious about it. What is it about?! I'm also writing a novel, but don't find much time to work on it. Do you plan to publish it some time or is it just for you?!
Rebecca_C
CoE Volunteer & Weeper of Nienna
Send Message
on: April 28, 2007 12:55
Hey Elf, if you want it read, send it as a hotmail attachment to me
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2007 10:05
cool! Glad that you all want to read about it! Well, it's a fairly basic fantasy really, I need to do some editting, a writer is never through with his/her work!

I'll post part of the first chapter in here, and I'll send it to you Rebecca
JaimeLouise
CoE Volunteer & Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: May 06, 2007 05:24
Poetry, a waste of time! Never! Even if you're not too good at it, it's still a wonderful way of expressing yourself.

Hello, all! I'm Jaime and I love to write poetry and song lyrics (as well as stories, though they don't come quite as easily ). I usually post them in The Inklings club.

Hey, Elf, I'd love to read your novel, too! I believe that my e-mail address is accessable on here....I'll go check.

Visit my website & Etsy shop! ~ Ephesians 4:29 ~
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2007 12:15
Hi Jaime....I've never been very good at poetry but I do enjoy writing poetry sometimes, when I have time between stories.

I also enjoy reading the poetry that has been written in the fanfic section! It really inspires me to write some, because I get a lot of good ideas sometimes.
Túrwen87
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2007 10:41
Of course we want to read it, Elf .... It also inspires me when I read works from other authors....

But, well, poetry doesn't flow so easily out of my hand as I want it to. But nevertheless I write it, but most of this stuff is really personal and I keep it in my diary.... Don't know why, but I think that I express my inner feelings in poetry and thoughts that are only mine and that I don't want to share. Sounds a bit egoitic, I know, but I can't help it ....
JaimeLouise
CoE Volunteer & Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: May 10, 2007 10:45
I understand that completely! Most poetry is like that. It tends to flow from your heart.

Visit my website & Etsy shop! ~ Ephesians 4:29 ~
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2007 11:52
yeah, i dont show my poetry because it's either personal, or it's too bad to show anyone okay, I'm just joking.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email