Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
conf_girl2002
Council Member
Send Message
Post Poll: Faramir or Legolas?
on: February 10, 2004 01:40
Which do you prefer, as far as looks go?

[Edited on 9/15/2004 by Diva]
Faramir
57% (1)
Legolas
43% (9)
FaramirsQuality
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Poll: Faramir or Legolas?
on: February 10, 2004 02:21
This is difficult because they are both good looking but in different ways.

I had to vote for Faramir because his is a face that makes you look twice, then another time and another.Yes, he's drop dead gorgeous but not in the sense of a model type pretty/handsome face. He has a face that shows he's lived through some things; restrained emotions in the eyes and face that make you wonder just what is going on in that head. He also shows a grace and gentleness in his bearing along with an air of strength, and authority, without arrogance. DW did an excellent job in pulling these characteristics off in the movie.

Now, just because I see these things in Faramir doesn't mean Legolas is lacking in them, he's just more a perfect "pretty" model face type to me.
Thalionnanuniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2004 03:33
This is difficult because they are both good looking but in different ways.

I had to vote for Faramir because his is a face that makes you look twice, then another time and another.Yes, he's drop dead gorgeous but not in the sense of a model type pretty/handsome face. He has a face that shows he's lived through some things; restrained emotions in the eyes and face that make you wonder just what is going on in that head. He also shows a grace and gentleness in his bearing along with an air of strength, and authority, without arrogance. DW did an excellent job in pulling these characteristics off in the movie.

Now, just because I see these things in Faramir doesn't mean Legolas is lacking in them, he's just more a perfect "pretty" model face type to me.

Well, that sums up everything I might have said, lol. But then, it's obvious when you see them; Legolas is an elf, he's supposed to be all prettified. But Faramir's face...:love: He is just so human, you know? With the eyes, and the face, and his personality (book, not movie!), he is one lovable, huggable guy! Legolas...I'd be too scared of messing up his hair.

*runs away from the rabid Leggy fangirls*

~Thalio
treejumper17
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2004 03:56
Totally agree with the last two posts. While the Legolas effect is wearing off, Faramir just keeps getting better and better. It really does seem to be two different kinds of attractiveness.
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: February 10, 2004 04:03
Lol and notice that you guys have Faramr/David avatars. Well I say Faramir too.
~Estel~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2004 04:38
Uh...neither? I don't really think either is very attractive. Sorry. *shrug*

:blush:
RakshaTheDemon
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2004 07:43
Totally agree with the last two posts. While the Legolas effect is wearing off, Faramir just keeps getting better and better. It really does seem to be two different kinds of attractiveness.

One of the reasons I like the LOTR movies so much is the physical appeal of several male actors; oh the story's great, the acting's great, but it's still a hunk-fest.

Viggo Mortenson as Aragorn is the most handsome man in the movie, no question in my mind. Karl Urban is second, but his looks are more conventional, and he doesn't have the personality with which VM and the script imbue ol' Sword-That-Was-Broken. Sean Bean is beginning to be too old, but not quite yet, he brings great charm, charisma, and major hunkitude to Boromir.

Movie-Denethor is actually quite handsome; but I dislike him so much, thanx to Tolkien & PJ and Noble's fine performance, that I can't think of him in that way....

Cute young Mr. Bloom is actually more interesting-looking in real life. He makes a fine Legolas; in the books, Legolas does much the same thing, prance around mouthing expository dialogue and having orc-killing contests with Gimli. There's a hint of passionate loyalty in movie-Legolas' fondness for Aragorn and Gimli, and I'm not talking slash...But neither Leggy nor Bloom really light my fire.

Elijah Wood as Frodo is as pretty and soulful as you can get, but I would be much more inclined to ruffle his hair and give him something to eat then I would be to actually have impure thoughts about him.

Elrond is definitely a hunk. I like thin men with piercing dark eyes and deep voices.

Then there's Faramir. Faramir is my favorite human in the books. Wenham doesn't look anything like Book-Faramir; and I'm still a bit peeved about his hobbit-grabbing stunt in TTT. Wenham is a fine actor. Sometimes he transcends himself as Faramir. He's definitely got a more interesting face than Bloom...He looks gorgeous in that avatar of yours; he's got a resemblance to Hollywood versions of Jesus (pretty hair and soft suffering eyes; so does Aragorn sometimes, but his eyes have a steely glint, we see Faramir looking really vulnerable for just a moment now and then when Denethor's verbally savaging him, and majorly vulnerable for a longer time when he and Boromir say farewell, it's like they both know that they'll never see each other alive again) - it's the combination of composed face and really tragic eyes....

RAKSHA THE DEMON
Astin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2004 09:37
I had to vote for Faramir!
Don't get me wrong, I love Legolas/Orlando Bloom too, but Faramir/David Wenham is a different kind of good looking.

Faramir - David Wenham
I am a huge David Wenham fan and Faramir is my favourite character in the books and the movies, but I didn't read TTT until after I saw the movie, so I always had the movie Faramir in my mind while I was reading the books - the same went for the ROTK book. I think that Faramir/David Wenham's eyes are a major plus for the character - David Wenham manages to tell so much about the character just through his eyes, and we see this many times throughout TTT and ROTK. The impact of his eyes are most felt in ROTK though - when Denethor is completely putting him down, you see so much emotion in his eyes...that's why the shot focuses on Faramir's face. In my opinion, David Wenham/Faramir is a much more mature kind of good looking than Orlando Bloom/Legolas. David Wenham is 38, and while he isn't drop dead gorgeous, he is still very...well...I suppose handsome is the right word here isn't it?

Legolas - Orlando Bloom
I was (and still am) a huge Orlando Bloom fan, and I loved Legolas in the first movie! Orlando Bloom is hot! But he is 10 years or so younger than David Wenham, and Orlando Bloom still looks very young - he is cute. Legolas, like Faramir, has very gorgeous eyes - the shots of Legolas in FOTR when Gandalf dies and Boromir dies are (excuse the term) to die for!

Faramir and Legolas are very different characters, and they do have very different levels of attractiveness. Orlando Bloom is considered very attractive by most 14 year old girls, whereas David Wenham is seen as attractive by 18 year old girls (and trust me, even then it is considered bizarre! I'm 18 myself). Despite this, both actors and their characters have a very wide fan base, that stretches way beyond teenagers. They both also have fantastic accents. I'm Aussie like David, and trust me...he has a hot Aussie accent!

To me, the best way to sum up the two kinds of attractiveness between Faramir and Legolas is:
Legolas/Orlando Bloom = yummy type of cute
Faramir/David Wenham = scrumptious type of handsome
Moonwalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2004 01:22
I voted Faramr. He's more manly and I like manly men. Legolas looks...BORING. He's not ugly, but he just didn't get my attention.
i_luv_orlando_b
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2004 03:52
Legolas....no competition :heart:
thranduilmirkwoodking
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2004 11:56
hmmmm.....tough decision. Though i'd go with Faramir. he needs a shoulder to cry on and some emotional support. i'd go with him. Besides....he's too cute when he smiles!
RakshaTheDemon
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2004 08:39
hmmmm.....tough decision. Though i'd go with Faramir. he needs a shoulder to cry on and some emotional support. i'd go with him. Besides....he's too cute when he smiles!

I'd pick Faramir regardless of whether Denethor is picking on him or not; he's not a pretty-boy, he's a good-looking man.

Speaking of pretty-boys, I love your avatar - is that a manipulated photo of Leggy to make it look like Thranduil. Great job!

RAKSHA THE DEMON
conf_girl2002
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 09:27
EEZ! good thing i decided not to bet on the outcomes of this...............i thought everyone would go for legolas :heart:
Lady_Anie
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 12:54
I'm gonna have to say Legolas . Although I can see why people like Faramir!
conf_girl2002
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 02:12
YAY! ooo and i really really really really reallly reallly reallly LOOVE the av! :love::drool:
Lady_Anie
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 03:33
Thanks! Yesh it's quite a nice pic of Mr. Bloom, lol. :drool:
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 05:03
you have to wonder, where are the rabid fangirls? i voted leggy, cuz... well, i dunno why, but i think he's better looking than faramir. I can definitly see what you guys mean with the pretty-boy-ness, but still. *stops trying to explain, lost for words*oh, did you guys see the new van fair? they have a section about hollywood stars, well, its more of a gallery, and yes, they do have one every month or however often they put one out, and no, i don't regularly read it, it was just sitting on the table, and they had one of the best pix of orli i've ever seen. true, he is wearing one of his infamously odd outfits (think pink silk with bright blue palm fronds and suspenders and striped blue pants) and an odd pose, hand... ok, *discontinues thought*... but its a great face shot... well, just plain great shot... *wishes she had a working scanner so she could show it in the gallery*
Nauma
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 05:14
Well, if we're going to go by the movies, it's Orlando, hands down. He is probably the single most beautiful person I have ever seen.

On the other hand, the impressions I got from the book were a little different, so for the book version, I'd have to go with Faramir. Mmm, he was so yummy in the book...
conf_girl2002
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2004 10:15
Thanks! Yesh it's quite a nice pic of Mr. Bloom, lol. :drool:

yupyup! whaddya think of minee? :drool::drool::drool:
thranduilmirkwoodking
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2004 10:29
Yep it's a photo manipulation of Leggy, Lassegalen's Laire though down has great photo manips.
Anyway...when i first saw Two Towers, i thought Faramir a jerk, granted a cute jerk. Then seeing Return of the King, i felt sorrow for him. We knew *why* he was such a jerk. Though some scenes in two towers i felt that same feeling, seeing Faramir in the cave in Ithilien, you knew he was thinking of something. Only in the Extended Edition do we know what he was thinking about. That scene in Osgiliath with him and Boromir started off good but then Denethor came along blaming everything on Faramir.
Astin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2004 01:58
I think that deep down, a lot of girls still love Legolas, but because we've been watching him for the past three years, people are attracted to the different kind of good-looking that Faramir is - possible because he wasn't in the first movie - he's 'fresh blood' so to speak.
Gilwen_the_Sorceress
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2004 07:18
Faramir is the man thanks to Tolkien :heart::heart:
ladylirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2004 01:52
Faramir is the man thanks to Tolkien

Didn't Tolkien once say that he liked Faramir the best of all the characters he wrote? I don't know where I got that idea.

I voted Faramir for this reason. He is drop-dead handsome. Legolas has that heart-stopping, jaw-dropping kind of cuteness, but Faramir has that rugged but cuddly look like Aragorn but with a lot more tenderness and softness. (did that make any sense?)
FaramirsQuality
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2004 08:33
"Didn't Tolkien once say that he liked Faramir the best of all the characters he wrote? I don't know where I got that idea."

I read somewhere that Tolkein had commented that (not verbatim) "this character Faramir had shown up in the book that goes on and on about Gondor's history. If he continues to ramble I shall have to move him to the appendices."

"Faramir is the man thanks to Tolkien "

Faramir had keen insight and compassion, was a good soldier that didn't kill unless necessary, had overall good judgement , strong sense of honor, a scholar, sentimental, romantic (referring to him with Eowyn in the houses of healing) His character in the book is a very cool guy. So I agree with that statement. And did I mention he has very nice hands?
Navalina
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2004 08:52
I voted for Legolas, I will always stay true to him! Faramir is unbelievably handsome too, but he's still no match for Legolas.
legolas_fan_forever
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2004 02:21
I think Legolas/Orlando is hotter, Faramir?David is ok but I just think that Orli's better looking. Granted, I am a huge Orli fan and think that he's hotter than any one else :love:

[Edited on 16/2/2004 by legolas_fan_forever]
Astin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 12:18
In reference to Faramir/David Wenham:

he's not a pretty-boy, he's a good-looking man.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Astin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 12:24
He is drop-dead handsome. Legolas has that heart-stopping, jaw-dropping kind of cuteness, but Faramir has that rugged but cuddly look like Aragorn but with a lot more tenderness and softness. (did that make any sense?)

Yes it made plenty of sense! That is exactly what I try to tell my mum! (she thinks I'm mad for liking Faramir...she can't quite see it)
It's not very often that you can find someone you can actually say is "handsome", mainly because all the popular actors are Orlando Bloom type cute, but David Wenham definately fits the "handsome" bill. :drool: :love:
Cressida
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 08:03
[Didn't Tolkien once say that he liked Faramir the best of all the characters he wrote? I don't know where I got that idea.

Tolkien said that Faramir was the character who was most like him. I don't know if he ever said anything about having a favorite character.

(I'm not voting because I've decided to stay out of voting in "competition" threads--but I do like reading everyone's comments!)

EDIT: Okay, I voted...mostly because I can't see the numbers unless I vote, and I was curious! I do think Legolas is very good-looking, but I love to study Faramir's face.

[Edited on 19/2/2004 by Cressida]
FaramirsQuality
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 05:16
"Didn't Tolkien once say that he liked Faramir the best of all the characters he wrote? I don't know where I got that idea."

Omigosh I need new glasses.....:blush: for some reason I thought "best" read "least", and I have seen other comments made (not on this site tho) that Tolkien did not like Faramir much, hence my previous response to that comment.

a thousand pardons I do beg you. :dizzy::blush:
RakshaTheDemon
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 09:11
[Didn't Tolkien once say that he liked Faramir the best of all the characters he wrote? I don't know where I got that idea.

Tolkien said that Faramir was the character who was most like him. I don't know if he ever said anything about having a favorite character.

(I'm not voting because I've decided to stay out of voting in "competition" threads--but I do like reading everyone's comments!)

I'd like to know where Tolkien said that - do you have a reference? I know that Faramir came into Tolkien's narrative by surprise and stayed there (like, if I remember right, Strider, who turned up as 'Trotter' and thankfully got a name change);Tolkien mentioned that he was surprised that the character had come walking through Ithilien, though he liked him very much.

I had the feeling that Tolkien DID like Faramir, that Faramir did share some qualities with his creator. If you'll notice; Faramir proves that nice guys can get the girl (and the princedom and the long happy life). Though Tolkien never knew his father well; his father having died in Tolkien's early childhood, and Faramir knew his father all too well....
RAKSHA THE DEMON
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 11:00
[a reference? I know that Faramir came into Tolkien's narrative by surprise and stayed there (like, if I remember right, Strider, who turned up as 'Trotter' and thankfully got a name change

Is that for real???

(I just nearly fell off the chair laughing at your comment "and thankfully got a name change").

God rid me of this vision of "Trotter" calling the hobbits plonkers, or of trying to sell people dodgy gear. (I think only British fans will get this).
Lady_Niwellyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 12:09
Faramir! He has been my favourite character since ny secons reading of the books - he is really a sort of man that matches my ideal. :love:
Greenleaf_is_MINE
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 05:33
What IS this?! There is no contest! LEGOLAS is WAY, WAY, WAY hotter! :love:
Cressida
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 07:36
Raksha,

Tolkien's statement about Faramir comes from his letter #180:

"As far as any character is 'like me' it is Faramir -- except that I lack what all my characters possess (let the psychoanalysts note!) Courage."

My theory about the resemblance: like Tolkien, Faramir was really a scholar at heart and fought because he had to, not because he wanted to. Tolkien also gave Faramir his own recurring dream about the great wave that drowned Numenor.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email