Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
treejumper17
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Poll: Faramir or Legolas?
on: February 17, 2004 09:05
What IS this?! There is no contest! LEGOLAS is WAY, WAY, WAY hotter!

Lol. This thread is so much fun. hahaha
Faramir
57% (1)
Legolas
43% (9)
Galadriel_nenya
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 09:53
I think this poll is self-explanatory. Do you notice how everyone who votes for Faramir has to give lengthy detailled reasons why? More importantly, have you noticed that most everyone who voted for *:heart:*Legolas*:heart:* simply said so and needed no lengthy reasoning. HA! That's because everyone knows Legolas is the obvious choice:love:, and there is no need to explain why. Simple as that. Bet you can't guess who I voted for.
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 10:12
I think this poll is self-explanatory. Do you notice how everyone who votes for Faramir has to give lengthy detailled reasons why? More importantly, have you noticed that most everyone who voted for *:heart:*Legolas*:heart:* simply said so and needed no lengthy reasoning. HA! That's because everyone knows Legolas is the obvious choice:love:, and there is no need to explain why. Simple as that. Bet you can't guess who I voted for.
I think there's an element of truth in what you say, OB being more of your normal hero type. But David Wenham is perceived as Faramir by a lot of people, and Faramir's character cries out for understanding - he brings out the female's natural protective instinct along with the need to speak out for him, which we all wanted to do when we watched the films, so do so at every opportunity.
treejumper17
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 01:01
Whoa people, this could turn ugly really quick.

And I'll of course fan the flames.

We don't need to defend out choice of Faramir, we simple enjoy talking about him and explaining what it is we like so much about him and why we prefer him over Legolas. I just don't feel like saying that he is "way way hot" does him enough justice.

[Edited on 18/2/2004 by treejumper17]
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 01:46
We don't need to defend out choice of Faramir, we simple enjoy talking about him and explaining what it is we like so much about him and why we prefer him over Legolas. I just don't feel like saying that he is "way way hot" does him enough justice.
Hear, hear! I might add that the character with the most substance gets the replies with the most substance!

Okay, I'm gonna go all fangirl for a sec...

Faramir forever!! :heart:

Okay, I'm done now.

[Edited on 17/2/2004 by truegirl]
FaramirsQuality
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 07:00

We don't need to defend our choice of Faramir, we simple enjoy talking about him and explaining what it is we like so much about him and why we prefer him over Legolas.
[Edited on 18/2/2004 by treejumper17]

"I might add that the character with the most substance gets the replies with the most substance"

Here here well said!

And Faramir has so very much substance to chat about! And did I mention he has very nice hands?

As I first stated in my original post, both are good looking in their own way. I just prefer the rugged man of substance over the porcelain doll pretty face anyday. No insult intended to Leg. or to his fans, I think he's pretty cool. but......

Since Legolas is an elf that ...can only mean...one....thing......and one thing only....................

Faramir is......

*THE MAN*!!!! ..... :drool:
mwuaaahaahaahaa !!!

[Edited on 18/2/2004 by FaramirsQuality]

[Edited on 18/2/2004 by FaramirsQuality]
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 10:56

I might add that the character with the most substance gets the replies with the most substance!

Excellent response!! And I like the one from Faramir's Quality as well - great slogan for Faramir. "Legolas is the elf, but Faramir's the man"! Great thinking.
Astin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 11:57
First things first, we love to provide detailed descriptions as to why we love Faramir so much, because we all feel his character is a complex one with many layers that all have their own individual charm, and we feel Faramir is worthy of such high levels of attention.

Legolas has been the most popular character from day one.....but the arrival of Faramir in TTT and definately the events in ROTK are a lot more substantial than anything that happened to Legolas.....but in the movies, Legolas.....well.....please don't kill me, because I do love Legolas.....his character is just always there beside Aragorn.....we never hear about his life story, or his family situation and Legolas is never tempted by the ring to the extent that Faramir is.

Faramir on the other hand.....he has a father who treats him like dirt, he goes through this emotional rollercoaster after the loss of Boromir, and at the end of it all.....he gets a girl!
We could just sit here and say "We love Faramir the most because he's hot!".....but he isn't actually hot.....he is amazingly handsome! Legolas hasn't quite reached that stage yet.....although I will give him credit.....he looks damn fine at Aragorn's coronation.....BUT SO DOES FARAMIR!!!!!!! :love:

I think that Faramir is the kind of man that most girls dream about, but don't realise that's the kind of man they dream about until the see him. Would you agree with me Faramir Fanciers? That's certainly what happens for Eowyn *slowly becomes jealous of Miranda Otto...:cry:*
Cressida
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 05:05
I just wanted to add a note that the question asked was "Which do you prefer?" not "Who's hotter?" In other words, it's all just personal taste!
treejumper17
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 05:28
I suppose seeing as this was the actual question,

Which do you prefer, as far as looks go?

we shouldn't really be going all the details of Faramir as a character, but I think we just get a little excited. And just so it's clear, I would still vote for Faramir even if it was just looks.
thranduilmirkwoodking
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 10:01
As far as looks go it's close.......

but i'd still say Faramir. he's just adorable in that Mannish way.
LadyOfGondor85
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 10:44
Ok, I like em both, don't get me wrong, I love the characters and the actors that play them, but I had to go with Faramir. Please don't hurt me you big time Legolas fans but Legolas is just a little too pretty boy for me, and I don't say that to diss him. But Faramir is a real man, rugged,etc... You know what I mean,right? lol
RosieT
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 11:50
Ok, I like em both, don't get me wrong, I love the characters and the actors that play them, but I had to go with Faramir. Please don't hurt me you big time Legolas fans but Legolas is just a little too pretty boy for me, and I don't say that to diss him. But Faramir is a real man, rugged,etc... You know what I mean,right? lol

Rugged and manly, but vulnerable....what more could you ask for?
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 12:28
Yeessssss we're winning
Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 02:37
I think that Faramir is the kind of man that most girls dream about, but don't realise that's the kind of man they dream about until the see him. Would you agree with me Faramir Fanciers?

Yes I agree with you Astin, this is exactly what I was thinking .
RakshaTheDemon
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 04:13

Pyres bad, Faramir pretty! Is that simple enough?

RAKSHA THE DEMON
RakshaTheDemon
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 04:19
[a reference? I know that Faramir came into Tolkien's narrative by surprise and stayed there (like, if I remember right, Strider, who turned up as 'Trotter' and thankfully got a name change

Is that for real???

(I just nearly fell off the chair laughing at your comment "and thankfully got a name change").

God rid me of this vision of "Trotter" calling the hobbits plonkers, or of trying to sell people dodgy gear. (I think only British fans will get this).

I believe it is for real. 'Trotter', unplanned, appeared at the Inn of the Prancing Pony without any foreknowledge or planning on Tolkien's part. Can you just see the hobbits calling him Trotter in the final version - ugh! Sounds like Bill The Pony's brother or something. A cute name for a hobbit, though.

Before Faramir was Boromir's brother, he appeared as a ranger named 'Falborn'. Then he became Boromir's brother, was renamed Faramir, but still surprised Tolkien, who mentioned that he was mystified as to how Faramir had arrived in his story, though he liked him very much.

RAKSHA THE DEMON
Erundilme
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 05:32
Definitely Faramir. :love::love::love:

I mean, Legolas is cute too, but in a more girly sort of way. And Faramir's eyes.. *swoon*
Astin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 08:55
I think that Faramir is the kind of man that most girls dream about, but don't realise that's the kind of man they dream about until they see him. Would you agree with me Faramir Fanciers?

I know! If I could find myself a guy who was like Faramir...I would be so happy...how come Eowyn gets all the luck :cry:

I love Faramir and Legolas, but I do prefer Faramir.
But when it comes to Orlando vs. David, I find it a lot tougher to call who I prefer. Speaking of Orlando, has anyone else heard about how Pierce Brosnan has been dumped as 007 and that Orlando Bloom is one of the actors who could possible be cast as the next James Bond!!!??? *gets excited and falls off chair*
Aussie spunk Hugh Jackman is currently the favourite, but Orlando isn't far behind. I reckon that if you give him a few more years, he would make the perfect James Bond! Not right now though...he still looks little bit too young. That's why Hugh Jackman's fine with me for now. :love:
RakshaTheDemon
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 12:25
I think that Faramir is the kind of man that most girls dream about, but don't realise that's the kind of man they dream about until they see him. Would you agree with me Faramir Fanciers?

I know! If I could find myself a guy who was like Faramir...I would be so happy...how come Eowyn gets all the luck :cry:

I love Faramir and Legolas, but I do prefer Faramir.
But when it comes to Orlando vs. David, I find it a lot tougher to call who I prefer. Speaking of Orlando, has anyone else heard about how Pierce Brosnan has been dumped as 007 and that Orlando Bloom is one of the actors who could possible be cast as the next James Bond!!!??? *gets excited and falls off chair*
Aussie spunk Hugh Jackman is currently the favourite, but Orlando isn't far behind. I reckon that if you give him a few more years, he would make the perfect James Bond! Not right now though...he still looks little bit too young. That's why Hugh Jackman's fine with me for now. :love:

I can't see Bloom playing Bond. Mr. Bloom has so far played the valiant young hero; and while Bond is heroic, he's a bit jaded and cynical and definitely mature; the actor should be able to play a man of the world. Jackman could do a great job.

But 20 years ago, Brosnan was much more callow; so perhaps, in a decade or more, Bloom could be Bond. We'll see.

RAKSHA THE DEMON
Faramirfan2
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 01:49
I voted for Faramir. Actually, they're both handsome in different ways. Legolas is really really cute, but Faramir is rugged manly cute. So, which one I prefer, definitely Faramir!!!!!:love:
RakshaTheDemon
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 05:28
I voted for Faramir. Actually, they're both handsome in different ways. Legolas is really really cute, but Faramir is rugged manly cute. So, which one I prefer, definitely Faramir!!!!!:love:

I think one's preference for Faramir v. Legolas depends to a certain extent on one's age. If I were a teenager, I might very well find Leggy the hotter; he is a cute young fellow. But as a middle-aged person, I like a face with character as well as handsomeness. Mr. Bloom will be much more attractive to me when his face has a few lines of experience in it.

Also, as has been observed, Legolas is a fundamentally static character; that's how Tolkien wrote him and PJ didn't mess with it. The only change he undergoes is to realize that Dwarves aren't so bad and get a Dwarf as best friend and Orc-slaying buddy. Faramir is part of the most dramatically interesting family in all of LOTR; and undergoes tremendously human trials. We may not all be able to empathize with the burden of bearing evil Rings of Power or the difficulty in defending one's Keep or City against Nazgul and Orc armies, but most of us shudder in sympathy at the plight of a man who is ignored and abused by a father he works hard at obeying; and we all want to cheer when the guy resists the temptation to do something very wrong to please his uncaring father, and we do cheer, inside, when the guy falls for, and GETS, the most passionate and interesting female in Middle-Earth....And of course, Faramir is under tremendous pyschological pressure during TTT and much of ROTK, and, one realizes, the years preceding the trilogy; yet manages to be a good military leader despite being an intellectual at heart and be an example to his people. Legolas doesn't have as much to overcome; he is an image of beauty and grace and a magnificent fighter.

RAKSHA THE DEMON
Faramirfan2
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 06:09
RakshaTheDemon, I definitely agree with what you said. But, in my case, I think Faramir was kind of special because he really won me over even though I don't usually go for his type. As a middle-aged person also, I've had crushes on actors of all ages (except ones that are over 50). And mostly, they're young and sweetie pies. Example, I started watching the Trilogy with a huge crush on Frodo and ended the Trilogy with Faramir. I think it's because Faramir's character and his troubling situations truly won me over. Plus he's very sexy!!:love:

Cressida
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 06:17
I don't think it's completely dependent on age. I know people who are over 40 who swoon for Legolas or Frodo. And I also know a 25-year-old who thinks Theoden's hot.
Andreth_Laiqualasse
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 01:33
I simply must say a word for him.(Legolas) If you want lengthy explainations, I could give one, but I don't think it's necessary. I don't think this poll is based on "hottness", it's based on who is the best! Now Faramir is the best man, and Legolas is the best Elf. Because each race is so different, they are each best in their own way. Since I am Elf crazy and wish I were one with all my heart, I go for the best Elf. Glorfindel and Fingolfin, as well as Elledan and Elrohir are up there too. In short, I love them both, and they are both the best they can be! But please stop talking about who's the cutest or hottest or whatever, those words just don't apply to them. It brings them down, in my estimation. They are both very pure and honorable characters. Long live the Elves! (and men who act like them)
Andreth_Laiqualasse
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 01:40
Sorry, I just realized that the question was about looks. Elven beauty for me! That's interesting that the others were saying that Faramir looks more experienced than Legolas. I disagree, one does not need facial lines to look experienced, afterall Legolas is over 2,000 years old. His reserve and wonderful control seemed to indicate that his age was greater than it might otherwise appear. Maturity resides in a person's actions and emotions, not in their looks. Ok, enough philosophy, Legolas Greenleaf of the Woodland Realm, whose face is "fair beyond the measure of men" is the most handsome character. (in the movie, Glorfindel might beat him in the book)
lhaewiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 04:02
I think Faramir beats Legolas, he is more real and more credible. I mean Legolas is too perfect, he´s not human.
I wish I were Eowyn!!!!:heart:
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 05:06
I totally agree with lhaewiel! Legolas is ridiculous IMHO. What kind of person comes through major battle looking immaculate, and with a full quivver of arrows? Also, that surboard thing in Helms Deep, and the Oliphant!! (ok so I can't spell lol) Give me a break! Someone had a lil to much fun with the computer on that one! Besides, he's a fruitcake! (and I seriously belive he's got a serious attraction to Aragorn!)

Faramir on the other hand is a more believable character. He's got many great qualities! However he's not grossly overdone. He makes mistakes , he gets injured, (BTW, do we EVER see Legolas injured in the slightest way?) Plus, of course, Faramir is mighty good looking!
Andreth_Laiqualasse
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 05:47
For one thing, Legolas is not supposed to be human. If they portrayed him as one, he would have been totally wrong. And has anyone ever heard of the love of friendship? There are different kinds of love, you know. I sure hope one can have close friends of the same sex without being labeled gay. Legolas is not gay, he is just a loyal friend. And he didn't come out off the battles immaculate, his hair was messed up and he had this huge bruise on his forehead. I don't know why he didn't go and "seek for arrows" like he did in the book. I also couldn't stand the "surfing" part, and yes, the oliphant was a little overdone.

Now I just loved Faramir in the book, and I thought he was OK in the movie, but they didn't do him justice. I sure hope to see more of him in the extended.

But, in conclusion, Legolas is not supposed to act human, Elves did not have the power to change the future for good or ill, while men did. Perhaps Legolas does not seem credible because you have never met anyone at all like him, but that is because the Elves are gone, "they sought the havens long ago"

Woah. I've said way too much! I just love to argue, I'm afraid.
Celebrian_Kementari
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2004 02:44
I'm entirely with you, Andreth, about the movie not doing Faramir justice. I think they didn't want to make him too handsome or admirable just because they were afraid of upstaging the "real heroes." But in my opinion, J.R.R.T. wasn't afraid of that. He made lots of wonderful characters, each excellent in his own way. Even though Faramir is a side character, we get to know him very quickly, and we see his "quality."
Now Legolas is rather different, because he's an Elf, because he's a major character, and because of course he's a different person! I really don't think we can argue between them. J.R.R.T. put something in his books for everyone. Aragorn's for me, as well as Eówyn and Túrin, but I can understand why other people would prefer other characters. They're all wonderful.
blueeyesscareme
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2004 08:09
Legolas is way better the faramir. becasue legolas has the looks he is a good looking guy.

Legolas has elven beauty and that wins for me in this case.
moi
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[Edited on 3/4/2004 by iLikeLOTRaLittle2much]
Frosty_Lily
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2004 10:20
I have to go for Faramir...even though everyone will probably vote for leoglas...personally I think Faramir is a great character in the books and he doesb't look too bad in the films, but Tolkien didn't really go into detail about legolas and personally I think he has the personality of a dial tone. please don't kill me.
legolas_fan_forever
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2004 06:58
I think this poll is self-explanatory. Do you notice how everyone who votes for Faramir has to give lengthy detailled reasons why? More importantly, have you noticed that most everyone who voted for **Legolas** simply said so and needed no lengthy reasoning. HA! That's because everyone knows Legolas is the obvious choice, and there is no need to explain why. Simple as that. Bet you can't guess who I voted for.

LOL I agree with you 100%!!!! Do you really have to ask who's hotter? Come on!!! I just don't think David's attractive at all.... I think Orli's waaaaaaaaaay hotter!!! No explantion needed!
tar_hazelton
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2004 04:29
Faramir. I like his stubble.
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2004 06:19
Don't like the long explanations? Well, here you go -- short and sweet:

Legolas/Orlando = boy
Faramir/David = man

'Nuff said!

Here's a nice pic of Faramir and his lovely eyes :love:

*btw - ya'll know I'm just playin'. It's all a matter of personal opinion.

*edit by truegirl: fixed the link above*

[Edited on 7/3/2004 by truegirl]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email