Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Tattoos- who's got them, who wants them, what do or would you have, and why?
on: March 05, 2004 06:28
I found something I really like! It's a line from an Old English poem called "Christ" and it is what inspired Tolkien to write the story of Earendil. It says:
Eala Earendel egla beorhtost.
which means: Behold Earendel brightest of angels.
El_Tiradan
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Tattoos- who's got them, who wants them, what do or would you have, and why?
on: March 16, 2004 12:49
Let me count...I have 7 tattoos.
In chronological order:
1) Left upper upper arm--an anchor with USN in a small ribbon, plus my oldest of nicks, ROC in Old English lettering underneath.
2) Left side chest--snake.
3) Right upper arm--blue dragon with the name Nanraug.
4) Left forearm--black tattoo "Shadow Empress", a lady with a sword and shield. This one was done totally freehand with bamboo in Japan.
5) Right side chest--very detailed Jesus' head with 'Jesus Forever' underneath.
6) Left lower upper arm--green demon named Gorbus.
7) Left thigh-shark (a friend did it with a homemade gun).

The anchor and nick tattoo were done in Oceanside, California (where I was raised. My father is an ex-marine and was stationed at Camp Pendleton) as a gift when I was on leave after Navy boot camp.

The snake, dragon, Jesus, and demon were done in Hong Kong.

The shark is over 5 years old, and at this time I have no plans for getting any more tattoos.

I do not regret my tattoos. They mean a lot to me, and they remind me of certain times in my life, aside from their literal meanings.

I totally agree. I got most of my tattoos when I was in the U.S. Navy, and serve as a reminder of places I visited, and different things I did.
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2004 02:05
I don't have any, but I'm sort of considering one one day. I'd like to get a Christian fish, but I'm not sure where.

I was also thinking of something in elvish, either the language or the font, but I don't know what I'd want it to say.
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2004 06:40
I don't have any, but I'm sort of considering one one day. I'd like to get a Christian fish, but I'm not sure where.

I was also thinking of something in elvish, either the language or the font, but I don't know what I'd want it to say.

Why not get something which means something to you. That's what I'm going to do, I speant ages looking and eventually I found what I was looking for.
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: March 17, 2004 10:00
After a bit more thought I´m contemplating a serpent swallowing its tail. It is an old sybol for time and infinity, any one know of any more links it has, or of any nice designs?
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2004 03:48
I think that would make a very cool tat, Lozza. The symbol you're describing is called an "ouroboros" and there's an interesting article about it here: The Truth About the Ouroboros

I think this is a pretty cool image here: Ouroboros

And while this one doesn't show the serpent swallowing itself, I really like the image: Indian Ouro
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2004 11:20

Why not get something which means something to you. That's what I'm going to do, I speant ages looking and eventually I found what I was looking for.

Yeah I was going to...I just don't really know what that something is just yet...
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: March 18, 2004 03:23
thnx for the links truegirl, the first page was great but the pictures won´t come up.
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2004 03:39
hmmm...not sure what's wrong with the links. They look okay when I pull them up. Anyhoo, sorry 'bout that. Here's another link that has one of the pics I posted (Native American one) plus many more:Abacus Ouroboros. I especially like the medallion one listed there under "Modern" (but only the serpent itself not the triangles).

Here is the url to the other image: url=http://millennialabyss.tripod.com/Ouro/Millennium3.gif

I found a better article that talked about the Ouroboros without all the alchemy/magic symbolism. Unfortunately, I can't find it now. Anyway, from what I've read, it seems to be a very, very old symbol:

The immense antiquity of ouroboros is without question. It first showed up in Western culture via Egypt of 1600 B.C. From there is was picked up by the Phonecians and then the Greeks, who named it ouroboros, meaning, more or less, “tail devourer”. Its presence in Eastern symbology goes back even further than 3600 years. It is interesting that in a common variant of the Western version the serpent is half-black (tail end) and half-white (head end)...very much like the yin/yang, and with approximately the same interpretation.
Orchrist
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2004 01:53
Well, I'll be fifty next year, and I've been considering getting one for a while now, but the trouble is I just don't know what I would have. I want something different, not a flower or butterfly or anything like that.
I don't see anything wrong with tattoos, it's personal choice, a local tattooist has this sign in the window: ' The only difference between tattooed and non tattooed people is - tattooed people don't care if you're not tattooed'
Sums it up nicely I think!
Tinwetari
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2004 05:48
I'll probably get a tattoo in the future, but I'm not sure of what to get yet. I'm kinda thinking of getting the Smashing Pumpkins heart tattooed somewhere, since that band has been such a part of my life.
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: March 22, 2004 10:12
I wish they had another more detailed pic of that sculpture. I want mine to kind of look very serpentine and that sculpture is brilliant.
BranwynNicBroc
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2004 12:01
I've got three
In chronological order:
1. purple celtic weave band with a red ruin "ansuz" on my ankle (an 18th birthday present from my dad)
2. the kanji for blood on my neck
3. a tribal style rose on my lest wrist

and more to come
Tyrhael
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2004 01:07
I want a tattoo on my upper back, below my neck, (in black ink only) of a tree with sort of celtic-interlacing branches or simply branching out, with sharp, flowing lines. I haven't been able to find a good picture: I have one in my head, but like most things, when I try to look at it directly, it 'disappears.'

Edit: the tree has no roots; it ends in a sharp curve.

[Edited on 3/25/2004 by Tyrhael]
Wulf_Sternhammer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 25, 2004 04:10
Hi Bran, those tatts sound pretty cool! I also have the rune Ansuz incorporated into 2 of my tatts, one on each arm. Does it have special meaning for you?
If anyone is interested, in the Elder Futhark, Ansuz is found in the first grouping or Aett, which is Freya's Aett. The following is the meaning:
Ansuz: (A: The As, ancestral god, i.e. Odin.) A revealing message or insight, communication. Signals, inspiration, enthusiasm, speech, true vision, power of words and naming. Blessings, the taking of advice. Good health, harmony, truth, wisdom. Ansuz Reversed or Merkstave: Misunderstanding, delusion, manipulation by others, boredom. Vanity and grandiloquence. (Odin is a mighty, but duplicitous god. He always has his own agenda.)
If anyone is interested in finding out more, my favoutite site is:

http://sunnyway.com/runes/meanings.html

Its a brilliant site with some great links and even some Tattoos, including celtic style knotwork. Enjoy.

Live and love
Wulf.
BranwynNicBroc
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 08:39
Cool Wulf! Neat to find someone who knows what Ansuz is...Ansuz was also one of Odin's ravens...and I have a special connection with ravens...it's also a connection to my spiritual side.
Wulf_Sternhammer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 01:06
Cool Branwyn, I also have a connection with ravens. I'm married to one! My wife goes by Raven Moonshaddow, a connection to her Celtic Pagan heritage.

Live and love
Wulf.

LadyJ
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2004 05:02
:love::love::love::love::love::love:

I have three..

1. a rose vine around my left ankle
2. a rose and heart on my left upper chest/shoulder
3. two cherries; one with a bite taken out on my right bum

I would love to get two more.

1. I want one on the back of my neck where my hair falls over: I want it to be have the zodiac symbols of an aquarius and taurus merging to be intertwined with the aries symbol. I want this because it is my zodiac emerging from the symbols of my parents.

2. I want to get the Edoras sun symbol merged with the ring script in the middle on my lower mid back. I have always wanted a sun figure on my lower back, but different from all the others that I have seen; and I figured this would be the one.

:love::love::love::love::love::love:
RivendellMaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2004 11:15
RIght now I have four. I have a plain old black rose on my right arm (this was my very first one) and i have a cat on my right shoulder blade. A tribal type design on my back at the hip level and some lettering on my ankle. I'm going ot be getting my elvish name done in tengwar soon. I will probley put that at my upper back near the neck somewhere and I want to get something celtic under it. Ne one know where I can find some good celtic designs to print out?
Dúvenêlien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2004 01:31
RIght now I have four. I have a plain old black rose on my right arm (this was my very first one) and i have a cat on my right shoulder blade. A tribal type design on my back at the hip level and some lettering on my ankle. I'm going ot be getting my elvish name done in tengwar soon. I will probley put that at my upper back near the neck somewhere and I want to get something celtic under it. Ne one know where I can find some good celtic designs to print out?

http://www.aon-celtic.com/ has some great Celtic clipart, it has knotwork, Celtic animals, spirals. Lotsa stuff. Good site.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: April 09, 2004 03:14
Thanks! I'll have to check that out. I want a Celtic dragon on my left shoulder. I know what I'd like, but not certain how it would look. I'd like to have it like it's perching over my shoulder. Hmm.. Appreciate the link.
RivendellMaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2004 07:24
Thanx I'll check that out. I want a celtic sun or star or something I'm not sure yet.
RuchazieChick
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2004 02:51
I have 2, a scorpio symbol on my right hip and a Glasgow Rangers logo on the back of my shoulder. I don't regret my tatoos, but I wish I didn't have my eyebrow pierced. Basically because I can't find any nice eyebrow studs. If I could it would be a different story!
Durins~Bane
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2004 12:22
I have a tattoo of a tribal war mask on the back of my neck. I actually drew the picture and took it in with me. It looks really cool.
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2004 11:58
I have 2, a scorpio symbol on my right hip and a Glasgow Rangers logo on the back of my shoulder. I don't regret my tatoos, but I wish I didn't have my eyebrow pierced. Basically because I can't find any nice eyebrow studs. If I could it would be a different story!

Ah no! My family are Celtic supporters - actually I don't really understand the rules - I much prefer Rugby!
Wulf_Sternhammer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 06, 2004 04:45
Just thought I would resurrect the thread with some pics I took whilst playing about with the webcam tonight. So anyway Here's a picture .

Live and love
Wulf.
Feanorblingblingissues
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2004 08:06
I don't have any currently ( I'm only 14) but I would like to get one in the future. Probibly a band of thorns around my right upper arm.
Just_a_Wolf
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2004 10:37
Currently, I've got two, or 22, depending how you count them

The first one I had done aged 18, and is a column of 21 3" safety-pins down my spine. They're in black and slightly stylised, so although they're modern items the design still looks tribal. Not Tribal, as in swirly and spikey, but primitive tribal. A little drastic, I know, but I still luvs it. Mostly it was aestetic and adapted (by me) from a book illustration. It was also a bit of a coming of age thing, and kinda symbolic of 'holding myself together'.

The second one is a small inch-and-a-half high wolf howling at a moon on my left inner forearm. It's hard to describe - it's highly stylised based on a Native American glyph, and sort of ... cave-paintingy. Anyway, that one is deeply personal, because, well, I am just a wolf. It's more than my totem, lets say, it is me. That one came age 21.

I've started planning a new one for 18 months hence when I finish my first round of medical training. It's a double Ourouboros (heh, Lozza, snap! ), one black, one white wrapped around each other and biting each other's tail, in a similar style to the wolf. That's going on my right upper arm as a circlet. To me it will represent a number of things, on top of the connotations of eternity. Serpents are a very ancient Mother Goddess symbol that spans many cultures. They also represent wisdom and healing, for my medical carreer. The black and the white are evocotive of the Yin Yang and cosmic balance. Finally, and this is a bit sad, it's also inspired by the Auryn of 'The Never Ending Story', a book that affected me greatly as a child, and to a lesser extent Barahir.

Assuming that last one ever gets the go ahead. Melleth nin is rather against body mods in general, and isn't happy with the ones I've got (but I am, so nyer!). Ah well, they've got 18 months to get used to the idea, but if push comes to shove the tatoo comes second.
Orion460
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2004 01:56
i want to get a tattoo of either a unicorn or a fairy but i very much doubt that my mum will ever let me have one! :love:

im 17 btw (18 in september)

[Edited on 30/09/1986 by Orion460]
~aear_fëa~
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2004 11:26
i would love a tattoo. i'm Celtic, so i would probably get a celtic knot or something. also, i want a faerie, or something mthical like that. but i'm only 13....
RaeLyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2004 09:37
I have a tribal sun on my shoulder blade that I designed myself; I am 25% Chippewa from my mother's side. And a depiction of the Picardy Stone symbols wrap around my left ankle; the rest of our family is spread between here and Scotland, in case you were wondering.
SugerCaine21
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2004 11:08
I'm currently 15 and I have wanted tattoos since I was about 12. I put alot of thought into it and I do want to wait till I'm 18. I want a dragon on my right ankle. The dragon is symbolic of how I see myself and I would put it on my right ankle for several reasons, one of which being I know I will someday have to have surgery on my ankle and it would make me feel less self concious. I have also thought about a wolf and my name in elvish but I'm not sure about those. I know I want the dragon and I have had the design picked out for years. If I can find a pic I will post it.
Lady_of_Lore
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 07:29
ive got a tattoo, ive had it since i was 15 and liked it untill a few months ago! Just make sure you want it if your getting one, wait a while!

Its a Japenese symbol as i was all into everything to do with Japan at the time, but now i think more natural things look better..i'm thinking i might have a butterfly done over it, since i think butterflies are beautiful, or perhaps some kind of flower.
Ranewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2004 01:07
I'm 18, and I want(ed) a tattoo. But after reading this thread, I really don't think I have any symbols that mean enough to me to have them permanently on my body. If I were to get one though, it'd be a small celtic knot on my neck. Of course, my parents have threatened to not pay for college if I get my ears pierced a second time (and I can't tell if they're bluffing or not), so I don't think they'd take kindly to a tattoo.
luftballoon
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 23, 2004 11:20
I've wanted a tattoo for a while and I think I"m going to get one for an 18th birthday present to myself, but that's not for a llittle more than a year so i'm happy i have plenty of time to think about it. I want something that's not too wild and crazy adn complicated. just something kinda simple on my foot, and tolkien related. but as of yet I can't decide what I want for sure. I want it to be original, but still be lotringy. Something that I can have a story behind and whatnot.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email