Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Melianmaia
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Tattoos- who's got them, who wants them, what do or would you have, and why?
on: October 03, 2006 05:17
I have a very small sun flower the size of a twenty pence coin on my right hip. It is because I like sunflowers and Vincent VanGogh who also liked sunflowers.
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Tattoos- who's got them, who wants them, what do or would you have, and why?
on: February 18, 2008 07:28
I'd have the "One Ring to rule them all" verse, in Elvish, around my wrist like a bracelet. I really love that poem... :love:
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Tattoos- who
on: December 05, 2012 11:55
Right now I would like to get the word Maethor (warrior) written in tengwar on my left wrist. I might get more latter but first I need to decide if I really want one first and then find a place to get one done.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 07:49
A lot of time has passed since I posted here. I'm now 60 and have 2 more tattoos. I got a variation of a green man (sort of looks like Herne, to be honest) down mid-way down my back between my dragons. He's really beautiful with more natural greens than the electric bright greens. That was done at the end of June when I visited my daughter in Colorado. Then, just last month I got a squirrel among apple blossoms done on my right hip. More in the works.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 10:38
Just don't get a tattoo on impulse, because those are usually the ones most regretted later on lol
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 11:39
No I know I've been thinking about getting one for at least 2-3 years. I just couldn't settle on what I wanted. Or find a tattoo artist. Probably going to end up waiting a bit longer before I go forward with it anyways.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2012 07:10
BelleBayard, your tattoos sound beautiful. As of yet, I do not have any tattoos but I know I will get one soon. It will be on my right arm, just above my wrist. There will be 5 little blue stars in the shape of the constellation, Cassiopeia. I love looking at the stars and Cassiopeia is my favourite. A tattoo artist told me not to be in a rush to get a tat. He said to think about what you want and if you still want it in 6 months, then do it. I have thought about the one I want for close to a year now so that will be my choice.

A star shines upon the hour of our meeting
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: December 06, 2012 08:01
Very good advice. I will warn you, though, that they are uncomfortable, especially in some areas. You can't flinch while getting them or it seriously messes them up. The inside of the wrist, over the spine, a few other places (belly is one, near the underarm is another) are tender - arms (on the back of them, that is exposed more) isn't bad and where I got mine, on my upper back isn't bad either. But then, I've had 2 kids and 5 major surgeries so my pain tolerance is darned high. There is also a certain amount of maintenance when you first get them and it's recommended not to go out and get fried in the sun (well, even if you DON'T have tattoos this isn't recommended) as it will bleach out the colors.
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2012 04:26
I have a tiger on my right shoulder i had it done in 2007 and have no regrets.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2012 10:25
Tigers and dragons sound so much more ambitious than the little stars that I want to get. I think the artistry behinds tattoos is so amazing. You must be certain that your artist is a good one. I have already talked to an artist and he has drawn out what I want. I have looked at his portfolio and he has tattooed 2 people that I know. The time for my tattoo is drawing near.

A star shines upon the hour of our meeting
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2012 10:14
I have also decided to get a tiny blue heart. A tiny blue heart on my right shoulder because my heart is blue.

Wow! I sure changed my mind about this one...no blue heart for this girl!!!

[Edited on 12/03/2013 by Lindarielwen]
belldoras
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2012 03:23
If you haven't already done so, take a look on the Home page where the news articles are.

Article number 9 under General news reveal the amazing body art of all things Tolkien
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I finally did it! My first tattoo, a birthday gift from my friends, is 5 blue stars in the shape of the constellation Cassiopeia. It is on my left forearm. My artist tried out the needle on my skin without ink so I could get the "feel" of it. All I felt was a little tingle so he went ahead and started. It took about 25 minutes and I totally love it! I have a whole page of care instructions that I will follow to the letter. I got it on my forearm so I could see it when I type.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Awesome! I'll also warn you they are addictive! I'm considering a... um... let me count mine... LOL... sixth tattoo across my upper back of Celtic knotwork to tie my dragons together. Hehehe!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I imagine your tattoos must be very beautiful.

BelleBayard, go do it! I love Celtic knotwork and I already know what my next one will be...It will be a Celtic knotwork cuff. I had the design with me and my artist thought it would be very suitable for my wrist. It is a sort of "V" shape with the point of the "V" going towards my hand. Off I go to cleanse and put lotion on my tat..
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
Here's one I would like someday. It would be the picture below cropped into a circle with the quote in a circle around it:"“ The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning.”

"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Do it, lotrelessar! But not until you move out, or else you'll be killed!

Lindarielwen, your tattoo sounds beautiful! Simple tats are always nice. I've considered getting my name in Tengway across my left wrist, but i am underage right now. Perhaps someday! I don't know if I'd be able to go through with it. But I have a friend who may want to go into tattoo design, so I would be much more at ease with it that way.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
I REALLY want tattoos, but in the end, I doubt it!!!
I want something LOTR, infinity, birds in a cage, a tree on my back and a guitar on my arm... there's more, but they take awhile to describe.
"A sprinter learning to wait."
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I went for my tattoo with a smile on my face and I left the same way. I totally love it! I do not know if I would ever get a tat that is very ambitious. When you decide on a tat, make sure it means something to you. Outside at night when I look at the sky, I can see the 5 stars that make up Cassiopeia and now she is on my arm!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I may get the stars of Capricorn, which is my star sign or whatever, but my name in Sindarin looks so lovely by itself.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, i want something in Sindarin, too. In the Sindarin Translation thread, I've had some of my favorite song lyrics transated by the very-helpful Galadivren and Cillendor. All I have to do is get the lyircs into the Tengwar script and I'll be set. The good thing about my future career is that I will most likely not be working in a formal work environment, so I should be ok to get tattoos as long as they are not super bold. I am generally a really shy and conservative person, so I have the feeling that my tattoos will reflect that. Most of my tattoos will be inspirational quotes, Elvish stuff, or LOTR stuff. Nothing drastic like full sleeves for me
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I agree, my Tegwar name will be very light, like pencil lines.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
I'd like to have Sindarin on me, but I'm not one to really understand it. So, eventually, I'll probably forget what it says
The thing is, I want SO many tattoos, but after watching a video of someone getting one, I can't decide. It looks painful and bleh... like, is it really worth it?? I don't know, I'll hafta figure that out once I'm 18 OR once I have enough money
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
My tattoo did not hurt but it is on my forearm. There was a small burning feeling that lasted maybe 15 seconds the next day and that did not bother me. I think a place, like the top of your foot, would hurt because of the bones so near to the skin. I always watch the tattoo shows on tv and asked my artist if people scream like that. He laughed and said that was tv. I was not afraid of the needle and I think if you go into something thinking it will not hurt, then it won't, but that is me.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, my tat and thought about it for almost 2 years before I went ahead and got it. My choice never waivered in that time. My artist said if you still want the same tattoo after thinking about it for 6 months, then that is the one to get.

I tell my tattoo every day that I love it. I love stars anyway and the color of my stars is my favourite, tourquoise, so for me, it was worth it.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Better to wait till you're 18. Tats are expensive and you need to be absolutely certain what you want. One at a time to give your body time to heal. It's really not that painful, but not something I would recommend till you're older.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
I have two lines in Sindarin in Tengwar on my right wrist. I've debated adding leaves to it, but it would very quickly end up as a half sleeve if I did that...

I have a design for a back piece, but I doubt it'll ever get done.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Galadviren, your wrist cuff sounds very interesting. What is the translation? I was going to have my stars put on my right forearm but after thinking about getting a wrist cuff, I put my stars on my left forearm instead. The cuff will go on my right. I do not want to have anything close to a sleeve. But I love the sleeves on my artist! Placement must be given careful consideration.

lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, I'm also thinking about getting Sindarin script maybe on my wrist. I was just wondering how painful it is to get it there? I know that there's the "everyone has different tolerance levels" thing, but where do you think are the most and least painful places to get a tattoo?

For my lion and Narnia quote tattoo, I wanted it on the outside of my upper arm. Any opinions on how bad that will hurt? Just wanted to get some perspective from some people who already have tattoos And I have no idea how to tell what my own pain tolerance is... how do you even test that??
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
My artist used a needle with no ink before he started so I could feel it first. I hear that any area that has bone close to the surface hurts, like the top of the foot. However, I believe in mind over matter, so I did not think my tattoo would hurt and it did not. I think if you are afraid when you go in, it will hurt. That's just me.

Looking now, at my little stars, I love them so much that I would not care if it hurt when I had them done. Is there a tattoo shop near you? If so, why don't you just go there and talk to someone?
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
Eh, I'm nervous. We have a couple around here, but if I'm going to spend money (a lot of money) on a tattoo, I need to find a place that is really reputable. I need a place that is really good with photorealistic stuff. Because it would be awful if my lion's face came out weird and contorted or not life-like. I guess I could just walk in and ask to see their work... do they let you do that? And would they honestly suggest other tattoo parlors if I told them what I needed and they knew someone who could do it better? i don't know how places like that work... I guess I have a lot of questions
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Looking at what an artist has done is a must! Go check out a few places. If someone is getting a tat they might like you take a peek. I cannot answer your questions so you need to do some research on your own. Two friends recommended the place where I had mine done. When I went just for a visit, I felt very comfortable and the artist spent at least an hour working up a drawing for me and talking and I did not even get it done that day! Also, when you are out and see someone that has a great tattoo, ask where they had it done and get the name of the artist.

And don't let looks scare you away. My artist has full sleeves, a beard almost to his waist, a chin piercing and some sort of round things in his ear lobes!
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:Galadviren, your wrist cuff sounds very interesting. What is the translation? I was going to have my stars put on my right forearm but after thinking about getting a wrist cuff, I put my stars on my left forearm instead. The cuff will go on my right. I do not want to have anything close to a sleeve. But I love the sleeves on my artist! Placement must be given careful consideration.

Why do I stay and sing
Under this fading light

is what it says in English, a la Arwen.

As to how painful it is, my artist told me everyone's different - to me it felt like being clawed repeatedly by a small kitten. Annoying, but bearable.

[Edited on 12/13/2013 by Galadivren]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Sorry I spelled your name wrong

The words of your tattoo are beautiful!

Your analogy of the pain being compared to a small kitten clawing is good. I found the sound of the machine more annoying than the needle.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, the sound would be the worst part for me. Im fine with needles, its the sound that kills me everytime.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
I soooooooo wish I could get one but I DOUBT my mom would let me :/ I'll be 18 in 2 months so I'll be allowed to
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email