Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Tattoos- who's got them, who wants them, what do or would you have, and why?
on: August 24, 2004 02:23
I want one but I was thinking when I get older the skin will wrinkle and it won't look as good when it was before. But I would get a small one that will look elvish and it can't be seen. Somewhere around the stomach. Whoever has one: Does it really hurt a lot?
Wulf_Sternhammer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Tattoos- who's got them, who wants them, what do or would you have, and why?
on: August 24, 2004 02:48
Hi sairina_star. Tattoos do hurt, but depending on your individual pain threshhold as to how much. A simple rule of thumb is, the closer to the bone (the thinner the fleshlayer) the more it hurts. Arms hurt less than backs. My daughter has two, The first is her name in Chinese script on her shoulder blade, closer the the bone, her second, Betty Boop, on her lower abdomen. Being further from the bone it hurt less than the first. I have them on various parts of my body (refer to previous posts) and the closer to the bone, the more painful. But! The type of pain caused by the process, and I know this will sound weird, becomes almost pleasureable, and definitely becoms addictive to a lot of people.
Hope all this helps.

Live and love
Wulf.
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 24, 2004 05:10
Hi Wulf. Thanks for the information. Interesting how it could be addictive. Now, I know where I can chose to get the tattoo on my body. That was such a big help. Thanks again.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: August 24, 2004 07:22
Heh.. I have to agree with you, Wulf. Now that my first (over my right shoulder blade) has healed, I'm looking forward to my next on my left! I'm anything but ashamed of mine and like wearing tank tops to show it off. I may not be young any more, but it still looks good, like wearing a piece of art around. As for pain, yeah, it's uncomfortable, but not unbearable. Still, you're also right that it depends on one's pain tolerance.
_LadyEowyn_
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2004 04:40
I hate tattoos, and of course, will never get one.
I think it's really stupid to get someone's name engraved on your skin across your heart if your only eighteen, because your love life is gonna change, and also I think that ruining your skin is also a bad idea. Plus tatoos nine times out of ten look really tacky.
So no, I defianatly don't want one.
If I had to get one, I'd get a dot or something on my toe. A brown dot, so it looked like a freckle, and caused as less pain as possible.

Diva
Viggo Vixen, Supplanter of Arwen & Anti-Hugging Harpy
Send Message
on: August 26, 2004 05:09
Actually, one's toe would be a very painful place to get a tattoo. There is little muscle between the skin and the bone. If you want as little pain as possible, a 'fatty' areas is more appropriate [i.e. ones rear]
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 26, 2004 09:09
lol. I won't have a tattoo of someone I love but a picture of symbol that's meaningful to me.

[Edited on 26/8/2004 by sairina_star]
Mina~
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2004 04:28
My boyfriend has a tattoo of a white tiger on his right arm just below his shoulder. It's very well done. He's planning to get another tattoo, but isn't sure what of yet. I personally wouldn't get a tattoo. Not from any moral reasons so much as my pain threshold and my hatred of needles If I ever did get a tattoo, it'd probably be a cross on my lower back, but lower back would hurt more since it would be near my spine.
sazzra
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2004 05:56
I have a tribal type flower design on the outside of my right ankle, doesn't mean anything particular but looks nice. There's an aboriginal style lizard on the top of my left arm, again just because. My pride and joy though is my newest - the Tree of Gondor, with a phrase in Sindarin around it, which covers the upper half of my back between my shoulder blades. It's a reminder that we all make our own lives, and if we want change we need to get up and do it
_LadyEowyn_
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 28, 2004 09:38
Actually, one's toe would be a very painful place to get a tattoo. There is little muscle between the skin and the bone. If you want as little pain as possible, a 'fatty' areas is more appropriate [i.e. ones rear]

OK, whatever...
metafiziclywinklefwee
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2004 08:59
i dont want a tatoo but if i were to get one id get Angelus' tatoo (technically, its Angel's now)... i'd get it in the same place as he did... on the shoulder blade in the back... but since im a girl, i'd get a smaller one
iarfalaswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2004 03:25
i'm thinking of getting a tattoo or two when i'm older. i have a few designs picked out in my head, but i dont think theres anything that i could relate them to. They're pretty much stand alone designs which i like. I suppose some relate to a few tribal artworks i've seen, but they're not large, just small-medium sizes ones.

If i chose a tattoo i'd like to be a one of a kind piece, something that no one else has, and i suppose then it would feel special to me I mean sometimes it seems as if everyone has the same kind of tattoo and i'm not knocking the mainstream ones, but they dont appeal to me. well a few do..

i'd possibly get one done on the underside of my forearm, perhaps a band symbol or symbols. *thinks* yes.. theres a set of 4 really small linkin park symbols they might look nice running up my arm. and perhaps a tribal thing on my shoulder. *laughs*

If you want as little pain as possible, a 'fatty' areas is more appropriate

i've heard that before, i spoke to someone a while back who said they got one done in the center of their back from shoulderblade to shoulderblade and they couldnt lie on it for weeks. but yeah having said that, everyone has different thresholds and barriers for pain, so some people can tolerate a lot while other flinch at the slightest.

i agree too that tattoos are a way of "preserving memories" if you will. yes i mean there are photographs and memories in your head, but surely just a little tattoo can say a lot more sometimes. its like carrying around your past on your arm or your ankle. it shows off who you are and possibly reflects your personality too!
(but most definitely you have to think things through before actually sitting down in the parlour and make sure you go to a reputable one at that.)

glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2004 02:38
i agree too that tattoos are a way of "preserving memories" if you will. yes i mean there are photographs and memories in your head, but surely just a little tattoo can say a lot more sometimes. its like carrying around your past on your arm or your ankle.

Like that movie "Memento"-- lol.

Okay, I know this is a bit offtopic, but I just have to say: our local parlor has the coolest name. "Scarred For Life"-- and the sign has all these thorns all around it, right? anyway. I just thought that was awesome.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2004 07:49
I understand it's a bit of a fad right now so a lot of young people think it's cool to get them, but personally I don't care for tattoos and find the large majority of them very unattractive. The bad thing about tattoos is that they're more or less permanent. (Laser treatments are only so effective, and I undestand that they, too, are very painful.)

If you choose to get a tattoo, I would echo the sentiments of an earlier post in advising that you avoid having a name tattooed on your body. Well, that is unless you want to have "Mom" on your tattoo. Relationships end, but you'll only have one mother.

If I were to do the piercing/tattoo thing, I'd have a ship tattooed on my chest, an anchor tattooed on my arm, then have a chain that runs from my chest to my nose, and from my nose to my arm. Anchors away!
Wulf_Sternhammer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 07, 2004 03:23
That, Old Tom, I would love to see! I have nose and nipple pierced, maybe I could do something similar, LOL.

Live and love
Wulf.
minuial_gil_estel
Send Message
on: September 07, 2004 06:33
I have a tottoo. I thought long and hard about it because I wanted something that was meaningful... not just some random pretty design or animal etc. i also wanted it to have some connection to LOTR.

Mine is a sunrising over the water with the Chinese symbol for hope in the middle of it. The reason for this is it symbolizes my fav quote from LotR "Dawn is ever the hope of man". I don't know why but something about that line gets me. I like the idea of having a reminder that each day brngs new hope.
Beriedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2004 06:45
I don't have one, and I never want one. But if it were a life/death situation (As if that would happen), I'd probably get a blue moon with a face with the Sindarin under it for Luin Ithil (Blue Moon). And it would probably be on the inside of my ankle.
Tantalurina
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2004 07:34
If I could I might would get one although I doubt it'll happen till i move out since my parents would prolly kill me.But I want a little blueish cresent moon on the outside of my right ankle and maybe something little on my shoulderblade.
Tanta
Tathenial
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2004 03:19
Tatoos Rule! I have 2 tatoos. One that is above my left breast is my name in Elvish. The second is on my right shoulder blade which is the Celtic symbol for love. I plan to get one more, it will be in the small of my back and it will be my fiancee's name, Michael, in Elvish.! Tats rule!
elf_lady
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2004 03:20
i have 2 chinese dragons entwined so that the tails and back half of their bodys is at the bottom of my bak and the heads go half way up my back (one on each side). i just need something to go in the middle now........anyone got any ideas?

oh yeah and it hurt a lot!
~Witch_Queen_of_Angmar~
Queen of the Dark Nine
Send Message
on: September 14, 2004 06:15
How about a version of the yin-yan sign? It's chineese and would fit with dragons.
~Gwaihir~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2005 02:47
I think a little something on the wrist like the fellowship has would be cool.
Prisca
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2005 04:20
I have a sun on outer side ofmy right ankle. I know not very orignal but I like it. I'm in the process of designing a cresent moon for the inside of the ankle.
NanlúthTúrdir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2005 01:51
If I were to do the piercing/tattoo thing, I'd have a ship tattooed on my chest, an anchor tattooed on my arm, then have a chain that runs from my chest to my nose, and from my nose to my arm. Anchors away!

Hehe! OH Pleeeez Bombadil! :evil:

Prisca: Thats a cool idea. The whole opposite thing.

A tattoo would be cool... i wish they were less trendy though!
Prisca
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2005 05:05

Prisca: Thats a cool idea. The whole opposite thing.

A tattoo would be cool... i wish they were less trendy though!

First thanks!

And yea they are trendy, but I think depending on what you get, why you put it on your body and where you put it makes it orignal and unique to you. Its all about putting thought into it.
Demona
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2005 12:12
I haven't been here in a pretty long while. Well, this is a topic that I like. I made one similar two years ago or somethin`. So, in conclusion, I LOVE TATTOOS! I myself got 7 `til now. I want to make more. Actually is more to make the one I got more complex. I have 4 dragons(cause I like dragons), I got the Ring inscription tattooed, I got a tribal, I got some stuff in elvish, my zodiacal sign in different zodiacs, what else? That's about it. I want to make 2 wings on my back now. But first I need to design them and see how I will "pass" over the one of the dragons are on my shoulder. :love: Navaer all!
Elenquie
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2005 06:57
i have a spider design running up my foot
Prisca
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2005 06:56
I knew this guy that was a bit hyperactive and people would ask him if he had ants in his pants because he couldn't keep still. So he had tattooed going up is leg a stream of ants so he could answer "yes I have ants in my pants"
Ninjoo
Craziness' Spiritual Caretaker
Send Message
on: February 15, 2005 04:43
I would love to have a beautiful dragon on my lower back, but i haven't found the right design yet and i have to collect some courage first!
Maybe i'll start with my zodiac sign on my ankle, although i think that'll hurt!
LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
on: February 17, 2005 01:59
I got my second one back in November. It's the 'Tree of Kings' on my left leg right above my ankle....
Sulnen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2005 12:27
I'm planning on getting an elven star (7 points) on my ankle once I graduate. But I'm getting it done in black light ink so you can only see it under blacklight. That way, I can't ever regret it, because it really only will show if I want to show someone.
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: March 11, 2005 10:46
I think it's up to you if you take a tattoo or not, as long as you think about the possible risks and consequences of it.

In my opinion, tattoo's are the most beautiful when they hold a special meaning for you. Like I read about a guy who had the signature of his dad tatooed (?) above his heart when his dad died. Something like that is very special.

I don't plan to have a tattoo any time soon, but I think there's a good chance that I will have one someday.
Shastia
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2005 01:53
I have a tattoo of Smaug (the drawing by Tolkien that is on the front cover of the Hobbit) around my right ankle. It was surprisingly painless.
Lhachwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2006 06:19
I do not plan to get a tattoo for religious reasons, but if it were alright, I'd get a Katakana tattoo for my nickname initial on the back of my hand, and the Kanji for my nickname on my palm.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: October 03, 2006 03:29
Just got my third tattoo last week while visiting my daughter and granddaughter in Denver. It's a Celtic dragon on my left shoulder, facing in toward my spine. He's perched on the battlement of a castle, a ready defender of those within. Still in the healing stages so it's itchy, but I'm very pleased with how it looks. I got my first tattoo about 3 yrs ago and my second last year. I went a very long time (just turned 54 yesterday) before being brave enough to attempt it. Didn't hurt nearly as much as I feared and they're in places where they don't show in regular clothing (I work as a nurse). I chose a dragon (my first is also a dragon and my second is an "E" entwined with ivy) because not only is it my Oriental horoscope sign, but because they fascinate me.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email