Author Topic:
square
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: book recommendations
on: March 27, 2004 07:10
-Ella Minnow Pea

-Sorcerey and Cecelia

Both epistilary novels. Great fun to read.
ladyeowen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2004 12:10
i just finished reading a book called Skellig by David Almond, it is a really weird book i think its sposed to be for around 5th grade but im in 10th and at first it was really weird but once i finished it i loved it so much its a great book that is very inspiring
tuttleturtle
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2004 12:42
Sorcerey and Cecelia is really good I agree
Nan
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 07:47
How about some old classic sci-fi:
any one read the "Foundation" books by Isaac Asimov?
~Nuelda~
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2004 07:59
"Eragon" by Christopher Paolini(Maybe?)

A WONDERFUL book. I'd recommend it to teenagers, and young adults.

The Alanna series was AMAZING!!
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2004 02:57
I believe it is required of me to recommend my fav series (other than LotR).

The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice-There are twelve books altogether, some of them very interconnected to previous ones and some not. I would suggest reading them in order. Very good books, dark though. I mean they are about vampires. Also a level of sexuality...not really appropriate for young teenagers, which is when I first read them. But anyway they are really awesome. There is a thread on here about them if you are interested.
Ness
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2004 10:15
I have to reccomend the Drizzt Do'Urden series by R.A Salvatore. There are about sixteen boks in all, and they're great.:heart: They're about a drow (an evil elf) who isn't like his kin and the many torments he has to endure.

This is the list of the books in order of occurence:
([/b]Dark Elf Trilogy[b])
Homeland
Exile
Sojourn
([/b]Icewind Dale Trilogy[b])
The Crystal Shard
Streams of Silver
The Halfling's Gem
([/b]Legacy of the Drow[b])
The Legacy
Starless Night
Siege of Darkness
Passage to Dawn
([/b]Paths of Darkness[b])
The Silent Blade
The Spine of the World
Servant of the Shard
Sea of Swords
([/b]Hunter's Blade Trilogy[b])
The Thousand Orcs
The Lone Drow
The Two Swords

I'd also reccomend any Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance books. There are also several thrillers by Kay Hooper.
Amythyst
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2004 10:40
My recomendations are:

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - an excellent sci-fi and character given story with a surprise ending

Flowers for Algernon - Just a wondeful, thoughtful, touching book

Timeline by Micheal Chrichton (don't think I spelled that right!) A terrific blend of science and medival excitement!

*Settles down to read for other people's recomendations for....uh, twenty years!*
Legolisa_
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2004 05:11
Okay, this is not a recommendation, but I am curious. How many of you can tell me about the book "1984"? Is it good? Is it interesting? Is it slow and boring? Anybody want to give me a quick review on it? Thanks! :rolling:
Amythyst
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2004 10:13
Hi Legolisa!
1984....have you read Brave New World? Its similar to that, though not entirely. Its kindof a study about people....mostly a character driven and political message story. I say give it a try...you'll probably know if you like it or not after the first six pages or so.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: April 18, 2004 06:09
we have a thread about 1984 here... called 2+2=5 i think (to do with the book) post your question in there
Legolisa_
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2004 03:19
Oops! Sorry K. I didn't know that there were individual threads on books. I guess that I should have searched for it first. :banghead: Thanks K!
Katze
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2004 05:38
I can recommend Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth", if you like historical novels, there ya go.
"Set in 12th-century England, the narrative concerns the building of a cathedral in the fictional town of Kingsbridge. The ambitions of three men merge, conflict and collide through four decades during which social and political upheaval and the internal politics of the church affect the progress of the cathedral and the fortunes of the protagonists. The insightful portrayals of an idealistic master builder, a pious, dogmatic but compassionate prior and an unscrupulous, ruthless bishop are balanced by those of a trio of independent, resourceful women (one of them quite loathesome) who can stand on their own as memorable characters in any genre" (Publishers weekly)
crystaltear
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2004 01:27
I would definately suggest reading the Dragonlance series if you like the Lord of the Rings. I think it's easier to start reading, as most of my friends never finished the LotR series beacause it was too long . It is an amazing series filled with an awesome plot and great characters. If you do read them start with Dragons of Autumn Twilight, it's the first one, but you could really start at the beginning of any of the trilogies.
Alyanome
Norn av Urd
Send Message
on: April 26, 2004 08:40
k asked me to make a list of books I have read and liked here, so here it comes. They're somewhat divided to the groups of same kind of books. I won't say about them more than names, go and find out yourselves what they're about.

-Del Castillo, Michel: Child of Our Time
-Green, Gerald: Holocaust
-Linna, Väinö: Unknown Soldier
-le Carré, John: The Little Drummer Girl
-Mitchell, Margaret: Gone by the Wind

-Segal, Erich: Love Story
-Spungen, Deborah: Nancy
-Waltari, Mika: The Egyptian
-Guareschi, Giovanni: Don Camillo - all books
-George, Margaret: The Memoirs of Cleopatra
-Grímsdóttir, Vigdis: My Name is Ísbjörg. I am a Leo.
-Wilson, Robert McLiam: Eureka Street, Belfast
-Belle, Jennifer: Going Down
-Rong, Jiang: Wolf Totem

-Ree Larcombe, Jennifer: Stone of Evil
-Mahy, Margaret: The Changeover
-Hahn, Mary Downing: Wait till Helen comes!
-Adams, Richard: Watership Down and
Plague Dogs
-Karinthy, Ferenc: Epepe
-Card, Orson Scott: Lost Boys
-Anderson, Kevin J.: The X-Files: Antibodies
-Lukyanenko, Sergei: All books, first one is called Night Watch

-Bruno, Anthony: Seven
-Carcaterra, Lorenzo: Sleepers
-Harris, Thomas: Silence of the Lambs
-Welsh, Irvine: Trainspotting
-McCabe, Patrick: The Butcher Boy

There's some books I couldn't find english versions, so if you by any chance find books by following authors, I recommend to pick them up and read:
* Sisko Istanmäki
* Kaari Utrio
* Johan Bargum
* Torill Thorstad Hauger

[Edited on 26/4/2004 by Alyanome]

[Edited on 02/25/2016 by Alyanome]
MeriBrandagamba
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 08:47
Peter Pan is an excellent book. The new movie didn't do it justice. I love Barrie's style of writing. He's very...well, blunt, I guess. It can get quite humourous.
eldride
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 22, 2004 05:28
THE DA VINVI CODE by dan brown is amazing and complicated, but quite an easy read.

SPEAK by laurie h. anderson...... it is nonfiction but really good.

tamora pierce's books are really interesting, especially THE CIRCLE OF MAGIC quartet.*i never really knew that so many ppl like tamora pierce!!*

the ARTEMIS FOWL books are also good.

THE LAST VAMPIRE books by christopher pike. the first few are worth reading.

CIRQUE DU FREAK by darren shan

THATS ALL I CAN REMEMBER AT THIS MOMENT!!

[Edited on 11/29/1988 by eldride]
Elbereth339
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2004 02:48
Hey guys. I'm looking for some good summer reading books. I'm going for a classics theme this year, I have The Illiad, Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde, Peter Pan, Heart of Darkness and Secret Sharer. Anyone know of any other good ones?
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 07:52
im not sure how classic these are but.... of the older books i own the ones i really enjoy are:

Great expectations by charles Dickens.

The sherlock Holmes series.

Hamlet by Shakespere.
tuttleturtle
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 04:59
It depends on what you want to read

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, great book, have to deal with some (well alot) of innaprpiateness though

Great Expectations (again)

A tree grows in brocklyn by betty smith

Anorwen_Niphredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 07:30
Hey guys. I'm looking for some good summer reading books. I'm going for a classics theme this year, I have The Illiad, Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde, Peter Pan, Heart of Darkness and Secret Sharer. Anyone know of any other good ones?

Well...
First I'd recomend Tolkien's other works. Such as the 13 or so volumes of History of Middle-Earth, etc.
He also has great renditions of the classic midieval tales of Pearl, Sir Orfeo, and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, all of which you might enjoy.

On to his friend, CS Lewis. If you enjoy fantacy, try the Space Trilogy Out of the Silent Planet begins the adventures of Ransom, out on a walking tour, who gets kidnapped and taken to Malachandra (Mars). Perelandra (which we call Venus) has Ransom being sent by Eldil to Perelandra, a world being newly created and peopled, to prevent the enterence of evil into that perfect world... That Hideous Strength, the most difficult and most profound of the trilogy, deals with evil in this own world of ours...and discusses Numenor. It's a very dramatic story.
Like myths? Read C.S. Lewis' retelling of the story of Cupid and Psyche, Till We Have Faces. He gives a new twist on that ancient tale...it's gripping.

Read Edmund Spenser's Faerie Queene books. The tales spun in those books make great reading.
The Song of Roland (I think I remember reading that Tolkien loved this as a lad) is another great summer read, along with Gilgamesh (gods and godesses aren't so nice after all!) and Beowulf.

If you are intersted in Milton, read Paradise Lost and Paradise Restored. Beautiful pieces of poetry; I love them! Along that line, John Bunyan's (author of Pilgrim's Progress) Holy War could be interesting...it's easier to read, too.

Like mysteries? Beyond the world of Agatha Christy and Sherlock Holmes lies the amusing Father Brown, a 'simple' priest with a brilliant mind (by G.K. Chesterton) and the dashing Lord Peter Wimsey series by Dorothy L. Sayers.

Then, you can't go wrong with a dash of one of the Bronte sisters (Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights).

And any time's a good time to enjoy one of Shakespere's plays. I especially love Taming of the Shrew :love:

Have a great Summer!
Tinwetari
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2004 06:24
I highly recommend the Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier. I love Celtic stories, and Marillier wrote these books so wonderfully. Each book as a strong female lead that I could easily relate to.

I also recommend the Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop. It's more of a dark fantasy, with great, memorable characters and an awesome plot.
Elbereth339
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2004 07:45
Thanks to you all! Very helpful you are. I'll be sure to check some of these out.
Alyanome
Norn av Urd
Send Message
on: May 30, 2004 04:59
If you have read such books like Iliad and Beowulf go and read Kalevala too. It's Finnish epic I haven't really read but I suppose most Finns knows how the story goes.
You can find it from online too, even in English, if you don't find it from library.
Oh, and warning. :rolleyes: It's very long and written in poems/songs.

Other classics? Books by Victor Hugo of course, and why not Dante too. Decamerone. And umm... check out for the books behind Disney cartoons. There's several.
tuttleturtle
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2004 03:09
If you have read such books like Iliad and Beowulf go and read Kalevala too. It's Finnish epic I haven't really read but I suppose most Finns knows how the story goes.
You can find it from online too, even in English, if you don't find it from library.
Oh, and warning. :rolleyes: It's very long and written in poems/songs.

Its actually kind of hard to find Kalevala. I know what its about but haven't read it, I"m looking not very hard
~hobbitluver~
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2004 03:25
This is awesome, I'm desperate for more good books!

If you're looking for humorous fantasy...

Heir Apparent and The Enchanted Forest Chronicles (four books). They're HILARIOUS!

Also...

Lois Lowry's books. They do kind of leave you hanging at the end, but they're really good.

Ann McCaffrey's Harper Hall Trilogy. I've tried a few other Pern books, but these were the best.

Oooh, I have tons more, but I have to go. I'll continue later.

Oh, I almost forgot to recommend The Lord of the Rings! Think of all the poor people here who would miss out on these amazing books if I forgot to metion it...

~hobbitluver~
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2004 01:37
OK, to continue (these are some of the easier of my favorite books)...

The Lost Years of Merlin~T.A. Barron (very easy to read, and they're really good, especially the first few--5 books)

Ella Enchanted~Gail Carson Levine (I haven't seen the movie, but my sisters have and it's completely differnt from the book!)

The Chronicles of Prydain~ Lloyd Alexander (already mentioned, but I must reinforce them)

The Princess Tales~ Gail Carson Levine (humorous spins on fairy tales, very short and easy, it'll take you like a half hour to read them.

The City of Ember~ sorry, forgot the author--it has a light bulb on the front, if that helps any

And about a zillion more, but of course, I can't remember them now. I'll post again if I think of more.
Lady_of_Lore
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2004 12:14
William Nicholson's 'Fire Song' trilogy is really good, the plot is captivating and I really cared about the characters, although I when reading it the vocabulary is basic, i think it's more aimed at people aged 13+, but my mum really enjoyed it still, and i'm just about to start the third on at 18, a good story doesn't need fancy words!.

Captain Corelli's Mandolin- Louis DeBernieres - This takes some getting into, the first few chapters do seem disjointed but that was done purposfully (of thats a word) A great novel, undermined by a rather...well under- par movie . It had me in tears, it's beautiful.

'Birdsong' Sebastian Faulkes I'm not really into war novels but had to read some for my A-level English, This is the best novel ive ever read that isn't fantasy. Its so powerful and wonderfully written.

More than one person had mentioned Philip Pullmen so i won't again, but he is great.

I think i'm going to check out some of the books you guys mentioned, they sound great.
kaylis
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2004 04:15
as others have said the Dragonlance Series is fantastic (Raistlin being my favorite character)

i havent read them but i've been told that the Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay is excellent (i believe GGK helped Christopher Tolkien with the editing of the Silmarillion as well or something to that effect)
Ranewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2004 08:03
Well, right now I'm reading The Witches of Eileanan by Kate Forsyth. It's really good so far, very Celtic feel, and the best part is there are five other books in the series! I also love the Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier. Another book with alot of Celtic mythology is the Bitterbynde Trilogy, starting with The Ill-Made Mute, by Cecilia Dart-Thornton. These three books are the best-written I've seen in a long time. The prose is very wordy but beautiful.

One of my favorites that isn't in a series is Illusion by Paula Volsky. The plot has definite parallels to the French Revolution, only with magic involved.

Another author I like to read who has a very original series is Sharon Shinn, with the Samaria series. Archangel is the first, but my favorite is Jovah's Angel.

Here are some other books I've enjoyed:

Mirror of Her Dreams by Stephen R. Donaldson
Gates to Witch World by Andre Norton
Green Rider and First Rider's Call by Kristen Britain
Sabriel and Lirael and Abhorsen (a trilogy) by Garth Nix
Exiles Trilogy by Melanie Rawn
The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
Symphony of Ages Trilogy by Elizabeth Haydon
The Magicians' Guild (The Black Magician Trilogy, Book 1) by Trudi Canavan (I'm not sure the other two are out yet)
GirlofLanguages
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2004 09:45
Let's see...

The Chronicles of Narnia- CS Lewis
Gone With the Wind- Magaret Mitchell
I Have Lived A Thousand Years- (I forget who it's by)
Night- Elie Wiesel
The Witch of Blackbird Pond- (*hits head on desk* I should know who it's by.. Elizabeth something maybe... don't take my word on it)
The Bronze Bow- Same author as Witch of Blackbird Pond

More Later!
LadyOfGondor85
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2004 08:13
River God by Wilbur Smith

it's based on real egyptian scrolls they found in the tomb of a queen. and its basically the real life true story of a scribe named Taita, and all the things he went through. all this turned into english from the scrolls they found. it's a very powerful story, very moving, I highly recommend it!
ashe
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2004 01:06
Hmm... the LonTobyn chronicles and the Winds of the Forelands by David B. Coe are excellent.

Some other good books:

Skeleton Crew by Stephen King is a collection of short stories.
Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause is about a teenage werewolf trying to find were she belongs in the world.
To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee

pip_baggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2004 04:38
In response to K (a while ago, I know), I LOVE Great Expectations:love:. And once you get into one Dickens book, it's pretty easy to get in to any of his other works. Of his works, I would recommend, David Copperfield (my favorite of all:love: ) Oliver Twist, Nicolas Nickleby, and Great Expectations. The hardest Dickens novel I've ever read was A Tale of Two Cities. Very hard to get past the first chapter.

And Peter Pan is an amazing book. It's more than just a child's book, or a play. It's absolutely histerical to read. Love the father:heart:.

Other great books to read (and I'm an old fashioned reader, bear with me) are Around the World in Eighty Days, by Jules Verne. I've tried to read many of Verne's other works, and found them very boring and wordy, Around the World was simply enthralling. I was sad when it was over, and I fear that Disney has butchered this great novel.

I could go on for a while, but I'll stop now... got to finish Moby D ick, Portrait of a Lady, and Jane Eyre.

I'll let ya'll know how they turn out

DC

[Edited on 17/6/2004 by pip_baggins]
Elbereth339
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2004 11:09
Well, I got a suggestion for the younger readers out there. Peter Pan. I found it very amusing comparing the actual book, written by J.M Barrie, to the Disney remakes. It is an excellent book and I recommend it to everyone, but especially younger folk.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email