Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Vanya
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: book recommendations
on: June 17, 2004 07:43
I just finished reading How My Personal, Private Journal Became a Bestseller by Julia DeVillers. It is a hysterical book, a very quick read for me! If you are an aspiring writer or author, this book is especially great!
Legolas_My_Love
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2004 11:47
I would tell people to read Jeniffer Roberson's The Chronicles of the Cheysuli (Omnibus Editions) Their are 4 books in the series: Shapechangers Song, Legacy of the Wolf, Children of the Lion, and The Lion Throne. They are all really good and awesome books. I love them!:love: If you want to find out more info. on the books you can go to www.cheysuli.com
I promise they are good books and if any of you read them I know you'll like the. Her Sword series is good too.
thecrazykind
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2004 12:45
Yay books! Defiantly a favorite subject of mine...

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman has already been mentioned but I had to second that recommendation because the book is sooo very good. :love:

Stardust by Neil Gaiman is also a good/quick read with an interesting, imaginative story.

The Myst books by Rand Miller are good (or at least the ones I've read) They center around a civilization that lives underground and really open up a new world to the reader. There's three books: the Book of Atrus, the Book of Ti'Ana, and the Book of D'Ni. I've never read Atrus (my bookstore didn't have it), Ti'Ana is great, and D'Ni is pretty good. They are based on the computer game but don't let that mislead you about their quality. The books can be slow opening but once you get past the first few pages, it's hard to put the book down.

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll is a fun, quick read.

And I also second reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Those are hilarious.
Ranewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2004 05:24
Has anyone read The Notebook, by Nicholas Sparks? I know the movie is coming out soon and it looks good, but is the book worth my time? Thanks!
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 22, 2004 05:42
I would recommend:
the Dark Lords serie from Tanith Lee
the Sandman serie and American Gods from Neil Gaiman
the books from Poppy Z. Brite
the Hyperion/Endemion serie from Dan Simmons
(already mentioned by k) the Dark Tower serie from Stephen King

I also have some non-fantasy books, which I will not place here .

parabellum
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2004 04:10
Hey i wuld definitely recommend Fahrenheit 451. its a classic novel by ray bradbury. this boo is about book burning a nationa censorship to keep a mass poppulace in the dark so that the government has unquestioned control over the people. Sound familiar? On another equally important note i would recommend the file Farenheith 9/11
sazzra
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2004 07:23
Balthasar's Odyssey - Amin Maalouf. Slightly involved story about a search for a missing book in 1666. In fact, anything by Amin Maalouf - Samarkand and Leo the African especially

The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov. The Devil comes to Moscow and causes chaos. A really funny,easy to read book - honest!

Le Mort d'Arthur - Hard going but worth it

The Decameron - Boccaccio. Again, a surprisingly funny book and easy to read because it's 100 short stories

Anything by Margaret Atwood

We - Yevgenii Zamyatin. The original inspiration for Orwell's 1984

That's my two penn'orth

Isafjordur
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2004 06:24
My recommendations (I tend to prefer sci fi over fantasy, but there are a few fantasy books I like, too)

A Separate Peace- (cannot remember the author). I read it in high school and loved it. It is about a friendship between two very different boys at a boarding school during WWII.

Crime and Punishment- A classic that is also an excellent psychological thriller

Watership Down- someone already mentioned this.

Stranger in a Strange Land- Robert Heinlein- Probably his best book- a tale of an alien of human origin who comes to Earth and becomes a Messiah figure (My favorite all time phrase ´Grok and Cherish´comes from this book)

Also by Heinlein-
Job: A Comedy of Justice- a modern day retelling of the story of Job from the Bible, using alternate timeline theory. Very funny!

Glory Road- Compared often to LotR, but it is science fiction and to me seems not at all like it. It is a short read and quite amusing tale of a young American who joins a dwarf and an amazing Amazon warrior sorceress on a quest to destroy a deadly weapon. In here Heinlein puts forth some bizarre but interesting ideas about society and relationships

Friday- This book was what got me hooked on New Zealand, since much of it takes place there. Unusual tale of an intergalactic courier and her adventures.

The Apprentice Adept trilogy by Piers Anthony- This to me was Anthony's best work, a clever blending of sci and fantasy with a tiny hero (a harmonica playing jockey named Stile) who can go between two worlds- high tech Proton and magical Phase. This book addresses a lot of cool civil rights issues and discrimination in a very clever way.

The Tapestry by Sherri Tepper- Very, very good sci fi story about the interactions between two emmisaries from a non human planet who try to urge Earthlings to give up their violent ways to join a sort of United Nations of Planets. The aliens are motivated by a mysterious, mostly hidden religious tapestry on their homeworld. Interesting tale about culture and religion and prophets- all using an imaginary religion

Anne McCaffery- Harper Hall triology and the Dragonriders of Pern series (up to "All the Weyers of Pern" the latter books are not as good)

Silver Wolf- Night of the Wolf- The Wolf King, by Alice Borchardt- Historical fantasy about Regeane, a young werewolf discovering her destiny in the barbaric days after Rome fell. Nice touch to have werewolves more noble and compassionate than the humans around them. The books also are quite humorous.

Miles Vorkosigan Adventures- Lois McMaster Bujold- even people who hate sci fi love these books. Miles is an unlikely hero, being only 4 1/2 feet tall and crippled by a debilitating condition that occurred while his mother was attacked in pregnancy. His uber macho world rejects weakness and dooms him to a life of being an invalid, so Miles puts together his own band of outcasts to become the Dendarii Free Mercenaries who help right the wrongs on various worlds. Miles is one of the coolest, most lovable characters ever. I especially recommend "Mirror Dance," Komarr" and the extremely hilarious "A Civil Campaign" These books are both sad and very funny.

The Snow Queen/World's End/The Summer Queen- Joan Vinge- One of the most moving trilogies I have read. The first book is the best, and all the books can stand alone. There is too much to tell, but maybe it is easiest to say it is a science fiction story that draws its inspiration from tales such as Hans Christian Anderson´s "The Snow Queen," the Finnish Kalevala and more. Also it has a very strong female lead character. It has never been made into a movie, but WETA studios and New Zealand would be the ideal studio for it.

Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker Series- A fantasy series that takes place using Native American and pioneer folk roots. Different and refreshing change from European based tales.

Lion's Blood- Stephen Barnes- Very inspriational, moving story of an alternate Americawhere Africans discovered America and Europeans are their slaves. The story touches on the friendship between Kai, a mischevious Ethiopian son of the wakil (Plantation owner) and Aidan, a blond-haired blue eyed slave from Ireland. The book is full of poems, songs and traditions and religions of both African and Celtic peoples. It even has its own soundtrack you can buy! (check out www.heatherlands.com). The book's not for everyone, though. The author is completely blunt about the brutality and cruelty that surrounds slavery. He shows both good and evil characters from master and slave race and tries to show that it does not matter who is the slave or the master- slavery is an ugly thing.

American Gods-Neil Gaiman- Thoughtful fantasy about the relationship between gods and their believers. It takes place in America, of course, but mostly the unsung Upper Midwest. Mr. Wednesday and Shadow are very likeable characters, as is Mr. Nancy the Spider God.

Mercedes Lackey- Edwardian Fairy Tales (The Fire Rose, Serpent's Shadow, Gates of Sleep)- Unusual retelling of Beauty and the Beast, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty in that they are set in early 20th century England and San Francisco and involve elemental magic. Great characters, including some strong female leads.

The last thing I recommend is, in response to an earlier recommendation of Pilgrim's Progress- Marvel Comics made a graphic novel of this classic, basing it in a modern setting. It is beautifully drawn and well done. Check it out if you can find a copy.
Sansa_Stark
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2004 01:57
The A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R R Martin.
It is very long and you need to be willing to spend time on it to fully appreciate it, but it is so worth it. I also would not recommend it to anyone under about 15 because there is a lot of swearing and a few parts that I found VERY disturbing.

The world it is set in is completely believeable and seems very real. It is not like the worlds most fantasy novels are set in. There is no strict dividing line between good and evil, and the good characters do not always win.

The characterisation is amazing and in my opinion the best thing about the book.The characters are 100% believable. Even the characters who could be considered "evil" are like real people you can sympathise with and even sometimes like. They develop in the most unexpected ways that are often surprising and intensely shocking.

The storyline is completely unpredictable and takes twists and turns that consistently stunned me - and everyone else I know who has read it. It evokes the strongest emotions of any book I have ever read, including horror, pity and loathing at the characters and events.

The only disadvantage is that the author may not finish the series for many years to come. I've been waiting nearly a year for the fourth installment, and it is agony.
Tinúmelë
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2004 08:29
The Rose Demon - by Paul Doherty

This is my favourite book after LOTR.

'In paradise, in the glades of Eden
Eve was tempted twice: first by Lucifer,
then by Rosifer who offered her
a rose plucked from heaven. '

This book tells of the story of Matthias Fitzosbert, the illegitamate son of a Parish Priest in the village of Sutton Courtney, Gloustershire. Set in Medieval times, after the Wars of the Roses, it describes his relationship with the Rosifer - the Rose demon, who fell from Heaven because of his wish to seduce Eve, to fall in love and create another being.

The Rose Demon has the power to posess other human beings and so wherever Matthias goes the Rosifer is always there, because of his love for Matthias, his son, the Beloved. The book moves through many settings: the end of the Wars of the Roses, the wild Scottish landscape, the battlefields of Spain and the jungles of the Caribbean.

Matthias eventually learns that his life is leading up to a final confrontation with the Rosifer - to face what Jesus faced in Gethsemane: to decide whether or not to accept the Rose Demon for what he is and love him.

This is only brief but I really recommend this book - it is brilliantly written, with a mix of history, Religion, philosophy and horror.

'"In the end, Creatura, remember this. All begins and ends with love. All things are done for love. All things go right for love. All things go wrong for love. Heaven and Hell are not places but states of mind and will." His voice sunk to a whisper. "Love eternally offered and eternally refused. Pardon eternally issued and never accepted. In Heaven because of love or driven out because of love."'

'"I asked who you are?"
"I am the Rosifer," Santerre replied slowly. "The Rosebearer, the Rose Carrier, a being of light who chose to love that which I should not. I paid the price. I fell from Heaven for love: was exiled for love, desperate for that love-"'
tala
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2004 07:17
well, let's see...

Eragon by Christopher Paolini is about a boy named eragon who finds a dragon egg in the middle of a "cursed" forest. once the dragon egg hatches he is hunted by people serving an evil king who try to convince him to join the evil dragon riders...... the seguel is elder but is not currently out

Wolf Tower,Wolf Star,Wolf Queen, and Wolf Wing by Tanith Lee are a series about a girl named Claidissa( or Claidi for short) as sheescapes from slavery to save a prince, who later betrays her and so she is a prisoner to his family. she escapes to her true love only to be recaptured and taken overseas.she helps a young man solve his past and returns to her love.and is(yet again)captured.she (again)escapes and she and her husband-to-be travel back to her home to save her friends from slavery.

the WHOLE Redwall series by Brian Jaques is about many personified animals(it covers a very long timeline) who live or come to redwall as they fight enemies, sickness, greif, and try to cope with everythingas it comes their way

Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen by Garth Nix are about a family of necromancers who, rather than raising the dead, set them back to rest while trying to deal with fell beasts like Mordicants and Shadow Hands..... as well as the occasional super powerful demons who show up

Through Wolf's Eyes, Wolf's Head Wolf's Heart, and Dragon of Despair by Jane Lindskold are a series about a girl raised by wolves since her family died in a fire when she was a toddler. a few explorers find Firekeeper(as she is called among the wolves) and her best wolf friend, Blind Seer and take them back to the kingdom since she is believed to be Lady Blysse,a granddaughter of the king.while she is there, she must cope with learning the ways of people,and also her pack has chosen her to destroy the three magical artifacts from Lady Melina Sheild, because Melina is plotting to awaken the magic of the artifacts and use them for evil

all of the books above are long so they will take a while.... but they are worth finishing
happy reading
aranelthedude
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2004 07:56
I've got a few....
Lirael; Nix, Garth This is amazing - fantasy genre, I'm only half - way through it, but the beginning will make up for it, no matter how badly I t could skrew up at the end!

Witch Child and Sorceress; Rees, Celia I loved these books - the first one is slightly better. About a witch who goes to America after the hanging of her Grandmother, and is shunned by the puritan community. Really excellent.

The curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time Shortlisted for the Carnegie medal. Written through the eyes of a 15 year old boy with aspergers syndrome. One of The most orgonal and entertaining book I have read.

A Gathering Light; Donnelly, Jennifer Winner of the Carnegie medal. You have to read this - it's so beautifully written!

Beegu I can't remember who this is by, but it is a really great picture book. Its aimed at 5 year olds but the drawings are soooooooooo sweet! Also shortlisted for the Greenaway medal.

Wolves in the Walls another great Picture book, SL for the Greenaway. Amazing graphics and Detail.

Alot? Yes, but there are a lot of great books in the world!
MarilleTheMadElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2004 01:00
Good books. Hmm. um I agree about the Tamora Pierce thing BTW.

First of all I have to recommend my good friend Cheney Duvall, I've read the series 2, no, 3 times. I can't tell you too much without spoiling the whole series. If you liked the arguments that went on between Han and Leia you'll love these books. But be warned ladies, if you read this series you will find yourself half in love with Shiloh. Sad thing is he's a ficticious married dead guy. The first book is "The stars for a light" by gilbert morris.

"The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf" by gerald morris. Awesome, awesome, awesome book. This guy takes Arthurian myths and makes them into hilarious stories. I think I stopped breathing a couple of times cause I was laughing so hard.

"Crown Duel" and "Court Duel" by Sherwood Smith. If you read no other books on this list, read Cheney Duvall. But this book is right up there. It's so much fun watching Mel go make a mess of her life unecessarily. Poor girl gets lead on this whole journey before she finds out who her real enemies are.

Darn it, so many of the books I liked are already listed.

Lireal was awesome, but I liked the first one, Sabriel better. I don't remember why.

The Claidi Journal series was pretty good, only one problem. It ended. I have a serious problem with books ending before I'm ready.

Eragon...must resist urge...to strangle Josh:angry:... I can believe he let me read that book. It ENDED, it just quit, fineto, no more, AUGH. If I ever go into therapy it will be because of that book, erm actually because of the promises he made about what would happen to us if anything happened to the book(try scared for life). My recommendation, you have to read Eragon, but I'd wait for Eldest to come out first. And then, I just realized that there's more waiting, this is as bad a LOTR. No, worse, LOTR you only had a year to wait.

Oh, oh, oh, The Enchanted Forest Series by Patricia C. Wrede, really, really good. If you like dragons you'll like this book.

The Left Behind Series, stupid books, I haven't finished the series yet 'cause I'm waiting for Glorious Appearing to come out on CD.

Silverwing and Sunwing, but don't read Firewing unless you like evil bad guys who DON'T DIE. Evil book.

And there are a couple more, but I can't remember what they are, I'll have to get back to you on them. Oh, and one more "Read Cheney Duvall, you won't regret it". Yes I am a little eccentric.
MarilleTheMadElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2004 01:39
Okay I thought of them.

Hawksong by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. I love this book, I even bought and I have read it, 5 or 6 times. Yes I am a little obsessive, but this book is awesome. It's about an arranged marriage between the two rulers of clashing tribes. There's never been peace between the two and well, you have to read the book.

The Hollow Kingdom by Clare B. Dunkle. This book gets to rethink goblins entirely. It's a really good book and has great ending.

Ruse , it's a comic book series and I loved it. It's so funny. It's set in the Vicrtorian era and it's about these two detectives, Simon and Emma. Simon's kinda like Sherlock Holmes and Emma is his assistant... I mean partner who actually is more than Simon thinks. Did I mention I loved this series? Just making sure. Unfortunately Vol. 3 is on back order until Sept. So many books coming out is Sept., the new Redwall book, Close Kin (sequel to Hollow Kingdom), and Trickster's Queen (YEAH!!!).

Ella Enchanted was GREAT!!! The movie was, um, good, if you aren't judging it by the book. Another book that I've read numerous times.

The BLue Sword was awesome, but not as awesome as The Hero and The Crown. The one thing I didn't like about Blue Sword was that they didn't tell you what happened to Aerin.

The Notebook, what I've read was good. However I've heard that they totally mess up the movie (it needs some editing).

There are more but that's all I can think of for now, I need to go see if there's anywhere else to discuss these books.
Findulas
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2004 11:26
The Old Kingdom Trilogy by Garth Nix. I know it's been said before. But it is an amazing trilogy consisting of Sabriel, Lireal and Abhorsen. A brilliant read for girls as the main characters in all three books are girls.
Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières, again been said. But I(thankfully) haven't seen the fiom and it's new way to see WWII from the other front.
Any book by Urusla LeGuin. Her Earthsea books are a must for anyone who loves fantasy. Her sci-fi book The Left Hand of Darkness is extremly well-written and a barely hinted love story.
Witch Child & Soceress by Celia Rees. Witch Child is the better of the two, though from reading Witch Child I was desperate to know what had happened to Mary.
Orlando by Virginia Woolfe another book my Dad recommended to me. It's a brilliantly crafted tale of reincarnation and of love stories. Especially seeing as Orlanod changes sex in the lives they live.
My Story by David Peltzer. Another trilogy, this time my Mum recommended it to me(parents are wonderful). I'm still reading A Man Called Dave. His story moved me to tears. A must for auto-biographical books. Get a real story instead of some celeb's life story.
Auld Enemies compiled and edited by David Ross a must for everyone either side of the border(Scotland/England). A book which tries to unpick the rivalry between Scotland and England and telling jokes about each side. The man who compiled it all is Scottish, but his wife is English. Very funny reading about all the sterotypes. Also I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to know the difference between the Scots and the English(one warning, don't call anyone Scottish English. Likely to rile the Scots up).
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank. A read for any sane person. The story of her life hiding from the Nazis and the Christians that hid them.
Exodus by Julie Bertagna. Set in Scotland in the year 2199, Global Warming has set in. Follow the story of one tenneage girl, follow her from leaviing her island, to discovering the world outside her island. A book which questions about our future and poses the way that society will answer the problems. In her book Bertagna answer's it by only people smart enough survive.
Why Do People Hate America? by Ziauddin Sardar and Merryl Wyn Davies. A compelling and thought-provoking read. It gives answers to why some people hate America, not just in the Middle-East and devolping countries, but in Western countries. The authors consider this hatred in the context of how America perceives herself, and provide an improtant contrinution to a debate whihc needs to be addressed by people all over the world.
Well that's all I can think about for now.

[Edited on 21/7/2004 by Findulas]
SamoftheShire
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2004 02:38
Okay, I have a few.
The Redwall series:Brian Jacues. Brian jacques is a brilliant author. His battles are great and the feasts he portrais(SP)make you starving. (Personal experieance, I was straving and dinner was in an hour. I was reading a redwall book and they had just come to a feast and I nearly ate my bookmark!)
The chronicles of Narnia:C.S. Lewis. Another great British author. Those are really good books. Though read the books before watching the movies they made.(Lucy looks a bit like a chipmunk)
Tolkiens works:J.R.R. tolkien.(Who else?) Great books. Read them!
MY brother reccemends(SP)The count of monte cristo:Alexendre Dumas. He says it is a great book.
The eagle of the ninth:Rosemary Sutcliff. Very good book. Rosemary Sutcliff is a great author.
The lantern bearers. Rosemary sutcliff. There is a trilogy of the three but we havn't read the second one, The silver branch.
If you like fantasy read the Warrior series by Erin Hunter.
My brother says the wrinkle in time books. Havn't read them. Getting around to it though.
Oh, there are two other books by Brian Jacques. They are very good, Castaways of the flying Dutchman and The angels command. Very good books. His only books outside of the Redwall series. That's all for now, Sam
NellasAncalime
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2004 02:29
Ever since I discovered Lord of the Rings on my father's dusty bookshelf, its brought me alt closer to trees... well, very thin trees.. with no leaves... or bark... or roots.. - okay, I admit it, I love books now! Anyhow- One of my favorites is Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I love how he symbolizes so many things to our current civilization and his imagination slash thoughts. <33 I recommend it- Its very interesting and made me look at the world from a different view...
And thanks to all the other recommendations! I have a much bigger reading list now for the summer... though there's only a month left :cry: (but lets not get into that)... -=sniffle=-... where was I? Oh yes- Much more to read! hurrah! Rather than just re-reading LOTR twenty times. And thats just no fun
g'bye! ~Nellas~ *tree hugger*

[Edited on 25/7/2004 by NellasAncalime]
elven_warrior_101
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 28, 2004 03:38
good books, good book... (think, defining which are the best in the files of my head.) well here are few:
-Redwall (and series) by Brian Jacques (love love love those!) :love:
-Castaways of the Flying Dutchman/The Angel's Command by Brian Jacques (yes, him again. can't ya tell he's good?) :rolling:
-Dragonlance series (i read mini versions)
-Watership down (sweet book! :hug: takes a little while to kick into full speed, but the ending just makes you smile :blush: )
-Crown Duel (awesome book, a must for those that like that celtic/old england war type story)
-The Legend of Lady Ilena (very good. thrilling plot. lots of surprises!)
-The Riddle of Wren (very fantasty-ish. but very very good!)
-Faerie Wars (my love! my joy! hehe!)
-Artemis Fowl Series (yet another joy!)
-The Wish List (so good! so good! flit is so funny!)
-Sabriel (i just started it today, but it be so good!)
-Eragon (A MUST FOR ALL WHO LOVE DRAGONS!!!!! i do!)
-The Two Princesses of Bamarre (very good plot. liked alot.)
- Nory Ryan's Song (my friend suggested this one to me. its a story from the irish black potatoe famine. its a very sad, bittersweet type story, but i love it all the same! :sob: its more of a younger read, but worth more time then it takes!)
-The Giver (ok, so we had to read this one for school. it was a very good book though, if you look at it the right way. some people say its sad and pointless, but it really isn't. it could teach the world a little something.)
those are my suggestions! hope u find some of them enjoyable like i did! :disco: :disco: :disco: :disco: :disco: :disco: :disco:

[Edited on 7/8/2004 by elven_warrior_101]
BT_Shire
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2004 05:26
If you're looking for a good fantasy book or series, here are my recommendations:

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, which is part one of A Song of Ice and Fire. I see it's already been mentioned in this thread, but it bears mentioning again. You must read this book, but I only recommend it for adults (or mature teens, maybe 16+). Quite brutal.

Again for adults, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson. Start with part one, Lord Foul's Bane and go from there. Covenant is the ultimate anti-hero... you will sympathize with his plight, but you won't necessary like him. But he grows throughout the story, and just may be redeemed before the end.

For straight-forward fantasy, check out the works of Raymond E. Feist. Start with Magician: Apprentice. It's a fun story, not too deep, which any fantasy fan should enjoy.

Also, please help a struggling writer by taking a look at The Talisman of Faerie, a book for fantasy fans of all ages, by Jason N. Beil (me). You can read a good portion of it for free by going here: http://www.council-of-elrond.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6999. If you like what you read, the book is available at amazon.com.

Thanks!

[Edited on 2/8/2004 by BT_Shire]

[Edited on 2/8/2004 by BT_Shire]
The_Uruloki
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2004 03:46
If you want good books I just "discovered" an awsome author and his first cycle of books. The series is called "The Videssos Cycle" and the author is Harry Turtledove. These are excelent books especially for Tolkien fans (because Turtledove is one).
The only problem with these is that they are all out of print so it is hard finding them.

Another good book, that is eddited by Harry Turtledove (a new release in fact) is a collection of short stories by various fantasy authors. Its called "The First Heroes: New Tales of the Bronze Age" and it is awsome!

Oh yeah...if you like collections of short stories (fantasy) check out "After the King: Stories in honor of Tolkien."

Also if you are super into The Lord of the RIngs try checking out the mythology behind it. Most of the Norse mythology is quite easy to follow and the similarities are really cool. I have found connections with these and the Trilogy as well as The Silmarillion (also a good read).
smart_elf_girl
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2004 02:52
Good books- so many to choose from. I hope these haven't already been mentioned (I did skim through the previous pages and oculdn't see them) but here goes:

Pride and Prejudice By Jane Austen
You probably already have osme idea of the story- it's a love story yes but a lot more happens as well. I would recommend this to guys and girls cos it's just so funny. Once you get into the style and language tis seriously a great book!

Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier
Another good book. I haven't seen the film so can't compare but this is pretty easy reading and in a good style. Bittersweet ending though.

The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier

About the creation of some tapestries. Another historical novel, this time set at the end of the 15th century. this is told from the viewpoint of a number of different people. All connected through others. Not for younger readers though- I'd say 14+

Litte Women by Louisa May Alcott
A classic and a very good one at that. More girl-orientated and maybe for younger people but I'm 14 and I love it! Don't expect anything that may shock.

Notes From a Small Island by Bill Bryson
Laugh-out-loud funny. Very good- not fiction but about his time in England and a final trip he makes round it. Perfect holiday reading.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel (I think)
About a boy who is stranded in a boat with a tiger and some other animals. This is it aimed at adults as is quite gory in parts but unusual story (I've never read anything like it) and very enjoyable. It also talks about religion quite a lot so be prepared for that.

Interesting selection I think there. Should be something that appeals to most people

Anoria_Miriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 06:29
I second any Tamora Pierce reccomendation.

[Edited on 18/8/2004 by Anoria_Miriel]
BlueSting
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2004 08:54
Hey this is a Great thread...one question, I love fanstasy/sci fi but my parents dont want me to read anything..well that gets into or centers around alot of magic (good or bad) and more so if its detail...like Allana or HP any reading idea in the fantasy catigory...I gotten into narnia lewis's trilogy and the wrinkle in the time and the book that go with it.
Vardagaladhiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2004 08:00
I would like to recomend:-
-Anything by Jane Austen especially Pride and Prejudice {Romance}

-Green Rider by Kristen Britain (It also has a sequel called First Rider's Call but I haven't read that yet) {Fantasy}

-Riddle-Master by Patricia A. Mc Killip {Fantasy}

-Anything by Agatha Christie {Crime/Murder Mystery}

-For younger readers(or those young at heart!!hehehe!!) The Redwall series by Brian Jaques {Fantasy}

-The Belgariad by David Eddings is a set of 5 books all following the most amazing story!!!!!!!!!! Brilliant!!! {Fantasy}

Enjoy!:disco:

[Edited on 2/07/2004 by Vardagaladhiel]
Woodlandelfgirl87
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2004 11:41
A very good book is Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts. Its about a girl who was 7 months pregnant and was abandoned in a Wal-Mart. It then continues with her life after that and the people who take care of her. It's among those on Oprah's Book Club list. It was over 300 pages, and I read it in a day.
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2004 08:11
Alicia Jurman-Appleman: My Story

One of the best books in creations! Very sad too:cry: It's about a girl's story as a Polish Jew during the German occupation in World War II. You should read it!

[Edited on 16/10/2004 by LadyCeleborn]
maliciousdragon16
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2004 08:29
if your instrested in American History (they are Historical Fiction books) books i suggest you read the following:
Sarah Revere-Rinaldi
Hang a Thousand Trees with Ribbons-Rinaldi
Time Enough for Drums-Rinaldi
Wolf By the Ears-Rinaldi
Sweet Grass-Hudson
I am Regina-Keehn
Calico Captive-Speare
In my Fathers House-Rinaldi
Johnny Tremain-Esther Forbes
To Kill A Mochingbird-Harper Lee
A Light in the Forest
My teacher made me read a bunch of them.

For fantasy i suggest the following:
The Circle of Magic-Tamora Pierce
The Alana Series-Tamora Pierce
The Protector of the Small-Tamora Pierce
Trickster's Choice-Tamora Pierce
Trickster's Queen-Tamora Pierce
Eragon-Christopher Paolini
The Unicorn Chronicles-Bruce Coville

[Edited on 23/10/2004 by maliciousdragon16]
legolasgurl
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2004 03:00
Everyone loved Lord of the Rings HAS to read The Book of Three and the following books in the series! I had fun finding similarities between the two series. I cried during the last book, The High King! Y'all have GOT to read them.
Morngaraf
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2004 05:25
"Little Boy Blue" by Edward Bunker is probably my favorite book, i higly recomend it, this is really a book you can't put down.
MirkwoodElfCiarrai
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2004 01:15
I recommend.......
Castaways of the Flying Dutchman!!!!:love:
here is a little discription!

"A boy and dog trapped aboard the legendary ship, the Flying Dutchman, are sent off on an eternal journey by an avenging angel, roaming the earth throughout the centuries in search of those in need. Their travels lead them to Chapelvale, a sleepy nineteenth century village whose very existence is at stake. Only by discovering the buried secrets and solving the dust-laden riddles of the ancient village can it be saved. This will take the will and wile of all the people-and a very special boy and dog! Brian Jacques turns from Redwall to a very different sort of story, and succeeds admirably."

It is a VERY kewl book!
and if you want more here is the second book!:love:
here's a discription!

"The new Castaways novel comes alive-Redwall fashion-with a magnificent romp on the sea, and another in the robber-filled mountains of Spain! Ben and Ned, the boy and dog who were sent on an angel's errand in Castaways of the Flying Dutchman, find themselves on board a Frenchman's pirate ship, pursued by not one but two ships-an English privateer and a Spanish buccaneer. They finally escape into the Pyrenees, only to stumble into an even more challenging adventure that takes them into very heart of the mountains, where they-and their new companions, a painter and a gypsy girl-must face the most evil robber of them all: the legendary Maguda Razan."

my fave character is Ben!
he's my age too!
Enjoy!
and GO READ THESE BOOKS!!!

~*MEC*~

[Edited on 10/1/2005 by MirkwoodElfCiarrai]
BlueSting
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 02, 2004 08:07
There's this book called "Redwall." Very good. You need to be in a certain mood and then its perfect. It's about mice with swords, and riddles, and battles pretty cool.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 04, 2004 03:11
I reccomend:
Lady of the Forest and Lady of the Glen, both historical fiction by Jennifer Roberson. The first tells the tale of Robin Hood- or rather, how the tale of Robin- Hood began. It's a very good book and I've read it twice. Lady of the Glen is set in Scotland, and deals with clan feuds and a war- I don't remember many details because it has been a while, but I still remember loving the book.

I also reccomend the Death Gate novels by Weis and Hickman to any who are into... I'm not sure how to describe them. They are fantasy but nothing like Lord of the Rings.. more extreme, I guess. I read them because my school library has a huge lack of fantasy themed books, so the first one I stumbled across, I picked it up. The first book is called Dragon Wing. The main thing I like about this book is the way the characters are developed and the cultures on the different 'worlds'. The story is hard to explain, so I won't even try. I'll just say I enjoyed all seven books and hope to read them again if I ever have time.
AvalonEstel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2004 05:54
Ah, the wonderful world of books! Isn't it incredible how you can travel the world and through many others in your mind?

Ok, non-fantasy reads I recommend:

-Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. It is set in what I believe is a futuristic America, and very eerily echoes our present situation. It truly makes you think. You should, however, be in you teens at least to read this.

-Dandelion Wine, another Bradbury. I tell you, he's amazing! This is a semi-autobiographical novel about twelve-year-old Douglas Spaulding, and is a very beautiful, (once again) thought-provoking story.

-To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. In truth, this is one of the most wonderful books I've ever read. It is set in about the 1920's and talks about racial prejudice between the blacks and whites. Once again, recommended for teenage and up.

-Dragonwings by Laurence Yep. A well-written story about a Chinese immigrant boy who lives with his father in America during the early 1900's.

Now, for the fantasy recommendations:

-The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling. Incredibly imaginative with strikingly life-like characters, a must read for all fantasy fans.

-The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. This series is most definitely one of the best out there in fantasy. It follows a young assistant-pigkeeper named Taran as he grows from an arrogant boy who wants to be a soldier to a strong, kind, and wise young man who wishes peace. Wonderful and recommended for all ages. The last one made me cry!

-The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke. A bunch of orphan kids living in Venice, Italy, a bumbling detective, a mysterious teenage boy with a secret... What more can I say? Also a great book by Cornelia Funke is Inkheart, but more for teens. Gonna be a movie AND a trilogy, from what I hear!

-The Riddle-Master Trilogy by Patricia McKillip. Recommended to older readers as it's difficult to understand. It is one of the most hauntingly beautiful trilogies I've read, and has such terrifying and touching moments that I cried at some points. Definitely for those who love story twists.

-Peter Pan by James Matthew Barrie. Much, much darker than the Disney version (which surprised me), but enjoyable all the same.

-Beauty by Robin McKinley. A beautifully lyrical book with incredibly detailed descriptions and strong characters. A wonderful romance/fantasy/strong-willed girl story.

And now for the humorous fantasy!

-Wings by Terry Pratchett. I actually own this book, and didn't know that it was part of a trilogy. Still haven't read the other two, but it's hilarious anyway! I hear good things about Discworld, which I plan to look into. Can anyone tell me which one is the first?

-The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede. If you enjoy stories that poke fun at fairy tales, then you will most definitely like this. And there's dragons, too!

-Heir Apparent and User Unfriendly by Vivian Vande Velde. Both are about video games in which your subconcsious(sp?) mind is immersed in the game itself, and the only way to get out is to win the game. Sorta recommended for older children and teens.

There are really some wonderful books out there that are sometimes neglected. Long live writers!
Dark_Elf962
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2004 11:13
Other than the Lord of the Rings, my other favorite series is Dragonlance, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. There are soo many books in the series which i think is awesome. Its fantasy about these friends that separated for 5 years then came together again and got involved in this big war. There are Elves, Dwarves, Kender(like hobbits only they're not scared of anything-provide comic relief like Merry and Pippin), Mages(Black, White, and Red), Dragons, Goblins, and Draconians.
Suggested Reading Order:
Chronicles:
Dragons of Autumn Twilight
Dragons of Winter Night
Dragons of Sprin Dawning

Legends:
Time of the Twins
War of the Twins
Test of the Twins

The Second Generation (sounds like it might be another series, but its one of the books)

Dragons of Summer Flame

War of the Souls:
Dragons of a Fallen Sun
Dragons of a Lost Star

These books are absolutely awesome and i highly recommend them.
Void
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2004 05:02
The Night's dawn Trilogy: by Peter F. Hamilton

Science fiction but not as serious as Asimov for example. It has a supernatural element and is perhaps the most entertaining thing I've ever read. Each book in the trilogy is as long as the entire LOTR triliogy put together. The author takes time to set up the story and the characters, resulting in a fantastic universe full of depth. It also features one of the most twisted and evil characters created.

I am Legend: by Richard Matheson

The story of the last man on Earth after the world has become populated by Vampires. It captures the pathos of his character perfectly and is a staggering piece of work. Created in the 1940's, the novel is both a work of horror and science fiction. It is set in the 70's and is uncannily accurate in its portayl of this era.

[Edited on 16/12/2004 by Void]
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email