Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
Lady_of_Edoras
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: book recommendations
on: August 27, 2005 05:23
I'm an avid reader, and have read many books that I'd recomend. But I'll just name a few.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
Persausion by Jane Austen
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (This one is a little hard to read, but it is very good)

I've just started reading some books by Mercedes Lackey, which i have really enjoyed. My favorite by her so far is the Fire Rose.
Charli
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2005 07:35
I would recommend 'I am the Cheese' by Robert Cormier. Its a little bit confusing sometimes but it'll really make you think. But the best book in the world EVER is Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier, everyone out there should seriously read this. Its about a woman who marries a man, but feels threatened by his previous wife's memory (she is dead). I can't really say much more than that as it'll give the plot away but it's great. Also 'My Cousin Rachel' by Du Maurier is great, same kinda thing as Rebecca.
Rhysenn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2005 09:34
Here's a couple that haven't been mentioned at least on the last page:

The Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix, starting with Sabriel. It's a good fantasy trilogy.

And The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It's very unique.

I don't like Robert Jordan, I started reading the first Wheel of Time book but it was all stereotyped...the characters and settings and plot lines were so unoriginal.
GaladrielsMaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2005 10:14
The Melancholy Death of Oysterboy and other stories By Tim Burton! More for the mature reader considering it's very dark, and a little creepy and sad, But It's all little poems telling a sad story.
pluss anything from Shakespeare is always good!
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 02, 2005 06:13
Well I have read some pretty good books. I probably won't be able to remember them all but here's a few now.

1) Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen by Garth Nix- these books are great! Garth Nix has a very good imagination and this is exactly the kind of book I love and always will. I also like them because the main character/s are female so that's different from most books too!

2) Harry Potter by JK Rowling- The films aren't that good but the books are wonderful! JK Rowling has written these in such a way that they are not at all hard to read and understand. The way she mixes drama with magic and comedy is just pure genius. I would have to say that my favourite is Order of the Phoenix. I have read the sixth book but I don't really like it that much!! JK keeps killing off all the good characters!

3) Stravaganza trilogy (including City of Masks, City of Stars and City of Flowers) by Mary Hoffman- Not many people may have heard of this. It's probably only published in Britain, Mary Hoffman isn't really a well known author at all. The books are great though. They are set in the 16th century in a country called Talia which is the equivalent of Italy in our world. Basically there are these people called Stravaganti and they can travel between time and space using their talismans. Okay so it sounds really geeky but trust me it is brilliant! It has mystery, action, suspense, drama, magic...

4) Of course Lord of the Rings

5) Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket- Great books! Quick and easy to read! My favourite is umm.... the Ersatz Elevator because it introduces the evil Esme Squalor! :evil: She is evil! :evil: Anyway these are great books. Anyway can read them. They are easy and understandable to most people!

Well that's all I can think of right now!

Namarie,
~Arwen
Eldarion_Telcontar
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2005 05:52
My favorite non LOTR book is lonesome dove by Larry Mcmurthry
noldorin
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 16, 2005 12:05
iid like to recommend any book by david gemmel and also pg hodgell
Aranel_Elenlin
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 24, 2005 03:40
I really liked Shadowmancer by GP Taylor... and the "sequal" Woormwood.... i def liked Shadowmancer better.. and Woormwood didnt really continue it so idk if its classified as a sequal

And of course the Chronicles of Narnia!! :love:

oh and some fanfics that are practically books... that ive enjoyed reading more than just about neything... The Mellon Chronicles!! :love: :love: :love:
~Stella~
Elemmírë of Varda and Merry\'s Illustrated Supper
Send Message
on: October 08, 2005 10:14
I'd like to recommend K-Pax by Jene Brewer and all of his books - it is so grreat and I talk to the author all the time. He is so nice!

Also I'd like to recommend any Garth Nix book - I enjoy his books. I also love The 10th Kingdom by Katheryn Wesley - it is about the famous faerie tales coming to life. Oh and The Talisman by Steven King - that book is so cool and good.
nippip_dna_yrrem
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 09, 2005 12:24
If you're into Arthurian legend, but want a little bit of a different twist, I'd recommend the Arthur Trilogy by Kevin Crossley-Holland. The books follow Arthur, but the main character isn't King Arthur. I really can't explain it, you just have to read it.

Other recommendations: (Know that some of these are very very easy reads. My aunt teaches middle school and has me read some of the books she orders to see which ones she wouldn't want to use for her classes)

The Mists of Avalon
Peter Pan
Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen
Inkheart
The Last Treasure
The Left Behind Series
The Keys to the Kindom Series
Harry Potter and _____ (all 6)
Eragon and Eldest (Eldest is better in my opinion)

I can't think of any more off the top of my head. So there is my recommendation list...
ithilienprincess
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 04:22
Manalive by G.K. Chesterton. He was a contemporary of Tolkien. Manalive tells of a man who is blown over a wall into a dreary boarding house and... well, it sounds boring, but it is very good. Chesterton has a very unique writing style. Not the easiest to read, but well worth your time. His Father Brown mysteries are very good too.
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 30, 2005 04:30
Witch Child & Soceress by Celia Rees. Witch Child is the better of the two, though from reading Witch Child I was desperate to know what had happened to Mary.

I agree completely. I forgot to mention that one! Witch Child is really good but to me: Sorceress turned out a bit like a Pocahontas story in some ways.

I would also like to reccommend:
~Artemis Fowl books- Eoin Colfer
~The Supernaturalists- Eoin Colfer (this is a strange but still good book. Not at all like Artemis Fowl!)
~Muddle Earth- I can't quite remember who it is by. But it is basically a comedy book, kinda like a parody of Middle Earth. It is funny because there is places such as: The Perfumed Bog, The Enchanted Lake, Trollbridge and Mount Boom!

I think there was some more but I can't remember!

Namarie,
~Arwen
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2005 09:10
I would like to add my recommendation to nippip's about Eldest by Christopher Paolini. I can't wait for "the Inheritance" which is the sequel.
Very good books.
Brandywine
Ferith
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2005 07:34
Don't know if any of these have been mentioned before, but here are my recommendations:

The Troy Game - Sara Douglas
Tigana - Guy Gavriel Kay
Gormenghast - Mervyn Peake
Hamlet and Anthony and Cleopatra - Shakespeare, obviously
Queen of this realm - Jean Plaidy
Peredhil_
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2005 05:19
I just finished reading the Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan. It consists of The Magician's Guild, The Novice and The High Lord.

The basic story revolves aound a young girl named Sonea, who accidentally finds out she has magicial abilities. The very structured and upper class Magician's Guild seeks to find her and train her to control her power. But there are dark secrets that lie in wait for her at the guild and one wonders if not all magicians are good. The author tackles class relations, growing pains, and retribution for past wars.

I bought the three books at once and read the in four days. Since then, I have read them twice more! The story had me completely hooked, with my heart thumping and my mind reeling. I really enjoyed this series.

Trudi Canavan is a talented and clever first time SF Australian author.

[Edited on 12/9/2005 by Peredhil_]
Gollums_supper
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2005 01:11
i love the Catherine Macphail books theyre so good!!!!!!!!!
Failië
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2006 10:28
I'd definatly have to say that everyone should read The Bartimaeus Trilogy, which is now complete. It's about a boy magician named Nathaniel, a djinni called Bartimaeus, and Kitty, a girl in the resistance against the government. It takes place in modern day London, where the magicians rule and the ordinary people are forced to do the grunt work. The magicians get their power from spirits like djinni and enslave them.

The Titles Are:

The Amulet of Samarkand
The Golem's Eye
Ptolemy's Gate

Written by Jonathan Stroud

I'd also recommend:

Artemis Fowl
Inkheart & Inspell
Narnia
Eragon and Eldest (However, Eragon seems a bit like a rip off of other Fantasy books smashed into one at some points)
The Edge Chronicles (They may seem like kids books because of all the illistrations, but they're actually kind of dark)
Wormwood
Shadowmancher
Ella Enchanted
The Two Princesses of Bamarre
The Chronciles of Pydrian

And, of course.....

Harry Potter

These are all fantasy based, mostly serious with humour thrown in.

[Edited on 26/2/2006 by Failië]
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 26, 2006 11:19
Artemis Fowl
Inkheart & Inspell
Narnia
Eragon and Eldest (However, Eragon seems a bit like a rip off of other Fantasy books smashed into one at some points)
The Edge Chronicles (They may seem like kids books because of all the illistrations, but they're actually kind of dark)
Wormwood
Shadowmancher
Ella Enchanted

And, of course.....

Harry Potter

Took the words out of my mouth. Those are just about all the books that I think are awesome. Also, I dunno if I've mentioned them before but the Stravaganza trilogy are seriously good.

http://www.stravaganza.co.uk

One of the best trilogies that I have *ever* read... and that's saying something! They are right up there, next to LOTR! Along with Inkheart, Ella Enchanted and Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen!

Happy reading everyone!

Namarie,
~Arwen
Failië
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2006 04:50
I saw one at the library, but when I looked it up the other two weren't listed. So, I was afraid to get it as the author might not have finished the books.

Also, if you all like Shadowmancher and Wormwood so much, the third book the author has written is coming out in April for the US and I think it's already out in the UK. It's called:

Tersias

Also, a movie is being made from The Alex Rider series, which is like a young James Bond. The books are:

Stormbreaker
Point Blank
Skeleton Key
Eagle Strike
Scorpia
Ark Angel

Also, my other books are:

Artemis Fowl
Inkheart & Inspell
Narnia
Wormwood
Shadowmancher
Ella Enchanted

And, of course.....

Harry Potter

Meldaerin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2006 11:15
OK, here's the my list...
1) Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer
This series starts with Bloody Jack and is expecting a 4th book out in October. It starts out with an 11 year old girl who is living on the streets of London, and decides that disguising as a boy and becoming a cabin boy on a ship is a good way to get food. Each book advances about two years and tells about alll of her adventures. Action, suspense, romance, humor; this series has got it all!
2) The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud
This trilogy starts out with The Amulet of Samarkand. The whole trilogy is set off when an 11 year old apprentice magician decides to summon a very powerful demon in order to get revenge on another magician who humiliated him. All chaos breaks loose! The demon's sassy comments are absolutely hilarious! The boy ages as the trilogy progresses (don't worry!).
3) A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
This book is followed by Rebel Angels, with a third book in the making. The novel starts off when a Victorian teenage girl living in Colonial India gets a vision of her mother's suicide. When sent to finishing school in England, the girl learns about the supernatural order that she is inevitably involve with. I know this sounds very odd, but is a gripping novel combining the fantasy with the society in the late 1800s. I don't know one girl in high school who hasn't become addicted to these books!
4) The Inheritance Trilogy by Christopher Paulini
The first book in this trilogy is Eragon (which will be relased in theaters in December) followed by Eldest. It begins with a boy living in a rural village who, while hunting in the mountains, comes across a blue stone. This stone hatches in his bedroom, revealing that it is, in fact, a dragon egg! This trilogy follows the boy and his dragon as they try to evade the eyes of the evil Empire and bring around a revolution. Some people find this very LotR-esque, with multiple invented languages and everything!
5) Avalon High by Meg Cabot
Definitely the best book I have read by Meg Cabot so far. It's definitely keeps with her high school girl style, but actually has a great plot! Many, many "coincidences" push some characters to believe that they are the promised revivals of King Arthur's world, but the reader has to figure it out for themselves!
6) Pirates! by Celia Rees
Two girls in the early 1700s, a British girl who inherited a platation in Jamaca from her father and a slave girl there, decide that in order to escape their lives, they will join a pirate ship. But, the British girl is followed by the unnatural owner of the plantation next door who was set to marry her.
7) His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman
This trilogy, which is in the preliminary stages for a movie, begins with The Golden Compass. It tells of a girl in a universe similar to ours who has a special destiny that the authoritative Church is scared of. In the second book, The Subtle Knife, she is joined by a boy from our universe. The whole trilogy is a great adventure on one hand, and chock full of religious and other symbolism on the other. Great books!

Whoa, that was long! Sorry!
Naeth
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2006 03:46
Okay:

1. Harry Potter
2. The Wheel of Time
3. Eragon and Eldest
4. Anything by Dean Koontz.
SeenZ
The Voice in Aragorn`s Head
Send Message
on: March 30, 2006 06:57
Yep, the usual...

Harry Potter
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Bartimaeus Trilogy

By Dean Koontz, my favourites are: Lightning, Strangers, From the Corner of his Eye
By Stephen King: IT, The Dead Zone, The Langoliers (short story)
Dan Brown: Angels & Demons, The Da Vinci Code, Digital Fortress
Mary Higgins Clark: A Stranger is Watching - This is very good if you like suspense thrillers. She's not called the Queen of Suspense for nothing!

And by Raymond E Feist... he's right up there with Tolkien, so you have to read these! :love:

The Riftwar Saga
Magician
Silverthorn
A Darkness at Sethanon

The Riftwar Legacy
Krondor: The Betrayal
Krondor: The Assassins
Krondor: The Tear of the Gods

Krondor's Sons
Prince of the Blood
The King's Buccaneer

The Serpent War Saga
Shadow of a Dark Queen
Rise of a Merchant Prince
Rage of a Demon King
Shards of a Broken Crown

The Conclave of Shadows
Talon of the Silver Hawk
King of Foxes
Exile's Return

The Darkwar Saga
Flight of the Nighthawks
Into a Dark Realm (Not released yet)
Wrath of a Mad God (Not released yet)

That's the reading order It's a lot, but it's worth it, I tell you :love: Just try the Riftwar Saga for starters
Deagol112LotR
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2006 11:14
One for Sorrow, Two For Joy - Clive Woodall
Sea of Trolls - Nancy Farmer
A Child Called "it" - Dave Pelzer
immersive
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2006 08:25
I definitely recommend reading, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald and, Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. Those are fantastic books.

I also recommend reading, The Phantom Tollbooth, but I do not know who it is by. That is a fantastic book, though.
Cirion2
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2006 12:21
Raymond E Feist is a brilliant medieval/fantasy writer.
He has crated his own world Midkemia and merges War, Magic, relationships. i feel he rivals The great John Ronald Reul Tolkein in the area of creating a world (multiple ones actually), Races, Gods, Multiple unique characters, history and politics. His books have almost every dimension of medieval life and is a thrilling, riveting and mesmerising read.
He has a number of series so go out and get them. His first series The Riftwar series includes Magician, Silverthorn and Darkness at Sethanon. He has other series like the Serpentwar series, his latest the Conclave of Shadows and the Krondor series.
They're more suited for older people like 15-up but they are good books so don't worry bout it.

so declares Cirion II, Warden of EagleHart's Valor
ressurrector of Hope, the bringer of Glory, beacon of Power
Cirion2
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2006 12:33
Hey SeenZ I am i big fan of Raymond E Feist (and by the way i posted that reply before i had identified that you wrote something similiar to me) and noticed that you had the names of his latest series and his latest books. I was just wondering if you would have any info on them i would much appreciate the aid.

so declares Cirion II, Warden of EagleHart's Valor
ressurrector of Hope, the bringer of Glory, beacon of Power
Idril_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2006 11:55
I have just finished reading Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahnuik and it was brillient.
I am just 3 chapters into Niccolo Ammaniti's 'Im not scarred' and its really well written and descriptive as well as quite intriging!
I also love Virginia Andrews, John Steinbeck and George Orwell.

Cirion2
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2006 07:27
I have just started reading The Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind and i am enthralled by it! It is the first book i a nine book series and they all seem to be breathtaking as well. An entirely original concept my eyes were glued to the pages. I order everyone to go out and read it you'll thank me
Failië
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2006 11:13
I'd like to recommend the books by Garth Nix.

Abhorsen Trilogy:
Sabriel
Lirael: Daughter of the Clayr
Abhorsen

Keys to the Kingdom:
Mister Monday
Grim Tuesday
Drowned Wedensday
Sir Thursday
cirithungol
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2006 01:35
here's my contribution...
watership down
angels and demons
his dark materials trilogy
chronicles of narnia
the red tent
READ THEM THEY'RE AWESOME!!!

CoNFuSeD_Elessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2006 04:21
Sword of Truth series of Goodkind was good at first, but after part 5 it becomes an endless cycle of extremely slow-paced and very dull events. (Same counts for wheel of time)

my recommendations are Raymond E Feist, the chronicles of Banned and banished,...
GalenaNutumnent
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2006 03:05
Besides LotR and Chronicles of Narnia, my favorite book in the world is The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow, by Allen French. The first two chapters are a bit slow, but after that the book is awesome! I just finished reading it for the 3rd time yesterday. I highly reccomend it.
Fellowship
Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: June 20, 2006 11:08
ok I have only a few.

Inkheart and inkspell (of course)
And Green rider with it's sequal First rider's call by kristan britain.

Green rider is really good though.
daughter~of~kings
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2006 11:26
Also I'd like to recommend any Garth Nix book - I enjoy his books. I also love The 10th Kingdom by Katheryn Wesley - it is about the famous faerie tales coming to life. Oh and The Talisman by Steven King - that book is so cool and good.

I totally agree - Garth Nix is rather awesome, especially the Abhorsen trilogy.

I would also like to recommend with a PASSION the pellinor series. I may only be on the first book, "The Gift", but i can't imagine the rest of the series getting worse... not that it could get much better... you know there are those characters that exist and you only survive in life for the thought that someone out there is like that character? Cadvan. awseome guy.

also the wind on fire series. rather amazing. in my humble opinion anyway ^^

(i also agree with fellowship. inkheart is great, and i can't get my hands on a copy of inkspell yet, but when i do, that'll be great too!)
daughter~of~kings
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2006 11:34
( to emphasise my love for "The Gift", if i had to choose between being eowyn and being maerad from the gift, i would find it a hard choice. for me, that's saying something!)

<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email