<< First56789Last >>
Author Topic:
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
Post RE: book recommendations
on: August 20, 2007 09:01
Imperium by robert Harris

I second that one:disco: Excellent book!

I'd also like to add The Kalevala, which was, well, collected I guess you could call it, by Elias Lönnrot. I read an English translation by Keith Bosley (Oxford University Press) and I loved it I dunno if it's the best translation, as I haven't read any others, or the original Finnish, but according to Wikipedia it's "often recognised as the leading version."
I recommend it anyway:heart:
~LadyOfEdoras~
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2007 09:21
yep!A suitable boy by vikram seth is also really goo!
agent
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 23, 2007 07:22
Oh,i reccomend at first Ray Bradbury,"fahrenheit 451","Martian Chronicles" and all his stories(my favourite from them are "A matter of taste" and "The cat`s pajamas")
And there is also Margaret Mitchell`s "Gone with the wind".Reeeeeally interesting.
~LadyOfEdoras~
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2007 08:14
oh yea gone with the wind is great!!!Agent:Have u seen the movie???with Vivian Leigh???its so good!
o8strider8o
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2007 11:17
Drizzt Do'urden books by R.A. Salvatore. It's a huge series (I've read them all), mostly in trilogies, nice sword fights, some magic, wide range of weapons (Dual scimitars, warhammer, sword and dagger, morning stars, axes, bows, multiheaded whip...) It's based around Drizzt who is a dark elf who doesn't fit in with his society so he leaves. READ THE BOOKS IN ORDER! I read the final trilogy first, it took away somewhat from the beginning books. The next trilogy starts September 21.

Enders Game series and Enders Shadow series by Orson Scott Card. I personally enjoyed the shadow series more. Enders game has a lot of action as well as the shadow series. The following books after ender's game in that series have more talking, less action. There is supposed to be a final book coming out tying both series back together.

The Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan. 11 books so far with the final 12th book coming out soon. Warning: This is a very detailed series of books, I recommend reading one, then reading a couple of other books, then reading the next one. Parts of the books are lacking in action so you just have to keep pushing through them at some parts. Action comes suddenly.

Harry potter series by J.K Rowling - enough said.

Eragon and Eldest by Christopher Paolini. First 2 in a trilogy, the third book isn't out yet. Magic and swords and dragons. A good read, pretty easy to read, not too complicated, the action keeps coming.

Where the red fern grows by Wilson Rawls. A good story about a boy and his dogs, I can't even begin to describe it, it's not fantasy and it seems so real.

Books I had to read for school that i Reccommend:
1984 - pretty solid, really thought provoking.
Catcher in the Rye - really truthful book
Fallen angels - on the vietnam war, good book with action.
Slaughterhouse 5 - antiwar book with some humor in it.
The things they carried
The life of Pi
a choice of weapons
Ordinary people - good book about a boys life
A walk in the woods - just what the title says, good humor in it
Endurance - journey to the south pole that goes wrong, very good book
A separate peace- coming of age tale, certainly worth a read.

Winterdance - I read it too many times to even try to explain it

Romance of the three kingdoms

My side of the mountain - First in a trilogy, the best in the trilogy. Only the first 2 in the trilogy are that good, I didn't like the third that much (Who tells a whole story about a bird?) The first story is actually a stand alone novel as well, you don't have to read all three you can stop whenever you want. My side of the mountain is a good read for outdoors people.

Hatchet and the rest in that group - I don't even remember the sequels names right now. Short books about surviving in the wild again. More for children to teens.

American Boys handibook. Not really a novel, it just tells you how to make stuff, first published in 1900 i think.

More to come
Elana
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2007 03:56
The "Ayla"-series by Jean M. Auel - very detailed description of life during the last Ice Age and interesting plot!
David Eddings' "Elenium"-trilogy and also the following "Tamuli"-trilogy - very well written and gripping!
agent
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2007 12:55
~LadyOfEdoras~ :no,i havent seen the movie,yet.I REALLY would like to watch,cause the book impressed me much.
Mirandilwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2007 04:57
If you're looking for Sci-Fi, the Space trilogy by CS Lewis is wonderful- a little hard to get into, but once I started it, I couldn't put it down! The first book is Out of the Silent Planet. George MacDonald's stuff is pretty interesting too, I've only read Lilith, but he was one of Tolkien and Lewis's favorite authors.
Others that I'd recommend: anything Jane Austen; The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde; Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh; Dickens; Shakespeare... well, you get the point that I like British lit. =)
EstelwenJesusFreak
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2007 02:02
anything by Ted Dekker or Frank Peretti especially house by both of them
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2007 02:18
Lori Wick is a great author, historical fiction/clean romances.

Eragon and Eldest by Christopher Paolini. First 2 in a trilogy, the third book isn't out yet. Magic and swords and dragons. A good read, pretty easy to read, not too complicated, the action keeps coming.

Just a note, Paolini just anounced that there will be a fourth book! Yeah!!!!!
Drizzt Do'urden books by R.A. Salvatore
Loved them!!!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2007 04:59
My recommendations are:

* - The Annals of the Black Company by Glen Cook - A fantasy tale in a similar, yet different vein from Tolkien. There are ten books in the complete series, but I will only recommend the original trilogy as a great read with the others being further icing for those who really like those. The first three books are titled The Black Company, Shadows Linger, and The White Rose (I found combined hardback edition on ebay called The Annals of the Black Company. Its a tale of a company of soldiers whose original organized purpose has been lost to the passing of time and th eloss of the company's written records, the Annals. While their purpose had been lost their fighting skills had not been, and they eventually became mercenaries hired to fight for whoever could make a deal with them, and could afford to pay them. This tale starts with the company taking a job that gets them involved in a war well above the petty fiefdom battles they had grown used to. The first three books follow the company through to the resolution of this epic power struggle and confrontation, with the aftermath unforseen.

* - The Foundation Series by Issac Asimov - A very good sci-fi tale. You have to get past the seemingly vast passages of time to fully appreciate this great book series.

* - Dune by Frank Herbert If you are blessed to have not seen either the movie or the mini-series, read the book before you do. It is a great read!

* - Elric by Michael Moorcock - Simply one of the best fantasy tales out there!

I have to say the Tolkien ripoffs like Eragon and Shanarra don't, and never have appealed to me.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
LightElfRowena
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2007 11:41
The Circle of Magic quartet and The Circle Open trilogy by Tamora Pierice. You'll love it.

[Edited on 30/11/2007 by LightElfRowena]
TurinGwoheyuloi
Headmost Ghost of Mandos
Send Message
on: December 06, 2007 04:30
Anyone who's into Tolkien HAS to read The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. It's the best Tolkien-esque fantasty I have ever read, seriously! The Drizzt series is pretty good, definitely David Edding's Elenium and Mabinogion. Steven Brust's series starting with Jhereg is also excellent, though perhaps a bit dark. Brust's Brokedown Palace is fabulous, though. Furthermore, in general, read ANYTHING by Roger Zelazny--you'll be in for a treat, especially if you like books that make you think a little bit afterwards. I'd especially recommend his Amber series, though not the second set of books as much. Christopher Stasheff is good too, but I don't like his Warlock series as much as A Wizard in Bedlam. Oh, and Robert Lynn Asprin's Myth series is hilarious!

I agree with Arveleg about Michael Moorcock's work. I haven't been able to track down a copy of Elric yet, but I read The Eternal Champion and it had the most chilling ending I have ever read. SO good!

Am I a freak of nature for not really liking Christoper Paolini's work? I don't know, just reading the first one I felt as though I've seen this storyline a few hundred times before (and better-written, too). I don't know, don't mind me.
Rainyaviel_of_Rivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2007 08:17
anything by Raymond Feist is usually worth reading.also,the Guardians of the Flame by Joel Rosenberg and Steven King's Dark Tower series.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2007 11:16
Gone with the Wind.
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2008 12:51
Just a note, Paolini just anounced that there will be a fourth book! Yeah!!!!!

I got an e-mail about that and I kind of figured there would be a 4th book! YES!

The Circle of Magic quartet and The Circle Open trilogy by Tamora Pierice. You'll love it.

I have read some of her books, sis and best friend read all, some are sickening, no offence, and are more for females, my friend shows me all the gross parts...lol...

I would recommend the Ranger's Apprentice Series books one:The Ruins of Gorlan and two:The Burning Bridge by John Flanagan. There are only 2 books out in UK, three in US, and 7 in AU.
I wish I lived in Middle Earth, I wish I was a Timelord, I wish I attended Hogwarts, but I must always remember, I am a Ranger's Apprentice.
Aegor
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 16, 2008 05:04
I know this thread is about book recommendations but in this post I'll recommend you not to read Shadowmarch by Tad Williams . I've read some great reviews about this book, I bought it while Tad was on his Croatia tour and in the past month it's been nothing but a struggle to finish it. While the synopsis sounded promising the book itself was too long and too boring. The story is progressing really slow all the time and whenever something close to interesting happens to some character the author decides to jump not to one but several completely different and uneventful story lines really killing the momentum. Just skip it
TheOrangeblossom
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2008 02:54
Süskind: The Perfume
much much better than the movie

Dennis Lehande: Shutter Island, Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone, and everything else he has written.

Tolstoj: Anna Karenina
Saraphine
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2008 01:37
I would recommend either of the trilogies by Trudi Canavan. Her first The Black Magician Trilogy had me hooked from the start, i loved it.
The Age of Five trilogy was also very good, not as good as her first but still an amazing read.

I must say i've gotten myself quite a list of books to buy from going through this thread, i'm glad i found it!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2008 03:03
I'm reading The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch right now, and its pretty good so far. Not finished yet so I'll let you know how it went when done.

Also a note on one of my previous recommendations... The first three books of the Black Company series have been re-released in a combined edition called
The Chronicles of the Black Company. The popularity of these books among the soldiers serving in Afghanistan & Iraq I understand is one reason they re-released it.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2008 02:19
I recommend Being by Kevin Brooks. It's creepy but I could not put it down. In fact I only bought it yesterday and I am already rereading it. I'm a big fan of Kevin Brooks, his writing is so dark and haunting... and the scariest thing is, it's all stuff that could happen in real life. They are among the best books I have ever read.
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
Lmae
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2008 03:31
The fountainhead by Ayn Rand

I haven't read it yet but im planning to after i finish all the lord of the rings (i am embarressed i havent finished them yet) but many people tell me it changed their lives.
Alyanome
Norn av Urd
Send Message
on: April 16, 2008 10:44
I have to recommend you guys We Need to Talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver. It's story about this woman who's son massacred several people in his school. So be warned, this will be a hard book to read, but it's brilliant.
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2008 03:05
I would recommend anything by Tamora Pierce, especially Beka Cooper: Terrier . Wonderful read!
Tari_Tinuviel_91
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2008 02:12
oh oh oh--- Hi! lol
I read Sepulcher by Kate Mosse... that book is just amazing-
if you liked the Davinci Code, you will definatly like this book

Oh and Also the Pellenor series by Alisson Croggen (I dont know if anybody has come across that) but- its really cool- although very close to LOTR :rolleyes: but oh well =P

[Edited on 24/5/2008 by Tari_Tinuviel_91]
Naera
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2008 04:21
Even though they are a very, very low reading level, the Pendragon series by D.J. MacHale is very entertaining and addictive! This series starts with "The Merchant of Death", then goes to "The Lost City of Faar", and so on... I don't feel like listing the current 9 books...

Also, the Gemma Doyle trilogy by Libba Bray is very good! Very Magicky. It is a little odd, and sometimes scary. My fingernails were down to stubs when I read the first one, A Great and Terrible Beauty. I haven't finished the last book yet, but I totally suggest it to any girl in need of a book to read on a road trip.

and the Twilight saga by Stephenie Meyer.
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2008 04:07
I just finished 'The Spell Book of Listen Taylor'. It was really good!
heri_sinyë
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2008 05:25
I don't know if someone has already said this, but you should really read Dostojevskij's "Crime and punishment". It's great. His realism and the way he digs into the mind of his characters are amazing.
Also Gabriel García Márquez is a wonderful author that knows how to provide depth and emotions to his stories. Read in spanish, if you can, "Crónicas de una muerte anunciada" and "Cien años de soledad" Suppose at least the last one is translated to english.
Hmmmm.....then I heard this guy...what's his name.......JRR Tolkien, writes pretty good books....
Hravan
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2008 02:49
Let me see...

Ok, I'm going to do this by author... This is going to be loooooooong... sorry

Manda Scott

Her Boudica series:
Boudica: Dreaming the Eagle
Boudica: Dreaming the Bull
Boudica: Dreaming the Hound
Boudica: Dreaming the Serpent Spear

These are my favourite books by far. They follow Breaca, a member of the royal line of the Eceni tribe from when she becomes a warrior at aged 12, through the Roman invasion in AD 43 where she earns the title of the Boudica until her death in her rebellion in AD 60.
It's a complex woven story, following not just Breaca, but other members of her family and also the main Celtic leader against the Roman invasion Caratacus (called Caradoc in the books.)
I can't really describe how good they are, you'll have to read them.

However, I will warn you: there is homosexuality in them and if you can't deal with that then you are not going to be able to understand a lot of things in the books.

However, the books are amazing. Obviously, the only "historical" source we really have for the Boudican rebellion was written by a Roman years after the events so the books aren't really historical fiction but more fictional history, if that makes sense. But how she links in so many things we know from that period is wonderful.

Bernard Cornwall

A very good historical fiction writer. His best books by far are his Warlord Chronicles which are the Arthurian legends.

They are:
The Winter King
The Enemy of God
Excalibur

They're told by a warrior and close friend of Arthur called Derfel Cadarnl when he's an old man. They are completely different from the other Arthurian legend novels I've read and are definitely the best.

Alfred the Great/ Viking series

So far they are :

The Lord of the North
The Pale Horseman
The Lords of the North
Sword Song

Very good books following the struggle of Alfred against the Danes and the Norse..

Simon Scarrow

A similar author to Cornwall. His Eagle series follows the lives of two centurions in the Roman army over the period of the British invasion and elsewhere.

Under the Eagle
The Eagle's Conquest
When the Eagle Hunts
[The Eagles and the Wolves[/u]
The Eagle's Prey

These first five follow the invasion of Britain. All very good, gripping, fairly historically accurate novels. However, in The Eagle's Prey you see Scarrow change from historically accurate to a bit more far fetched which carries on into the later novels in the series.

The later novels are:

The Eagle's Prophecy - very insightful look into the Roman navy which is often overlooked however the plot is incredibly far-fetched.
The Eagle in the Sand
Centurion (I haven't read this yet but I thought I would mention that it's available.)

These last 3 are nowhere near as good as the first five, however I would still recommend them just to follow Cato and Marco (the two centurions).

Brian John

His Angel Mountain Saga

On Angel Mountain
House of Angels
Dark Angel
Rebecca and the Angels
Flying with Angels

These are the diaries of Martha Morgan, Mistress of Plas Ingli on Carningli (Angel Mountain in English) near Newport, Pembrokeshire, Wales. They follow her from a suicidal, pregnant 18 years old unti her death as an old woman. They are based from the 1790s until the 1850s. They are very good at showing Welsh life during that time and also cover so major Welsh history events including the last time Britain was invaded (1797 - Fishguard was invaded by the French) and also the Rebecca Riots. They show the tension between the Welsh and the English and also between the gentry.
Brian John also does an excellent job of describing the sheer wonder and beauty of the Newport area. (I've been going camping there since I was 6 weeks old.. )

And that's enough of historical fiction...

Other books..

The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. I know they have been mentioned before but they are so good they need to be mentioned again. If for nothing else, just read them for Bartimaeus' wit. They will have you in tears of laughter..

Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2008 12:11
I recommend Dance of the Assassins. It's an odd book, and some of the subject matter may be controversial, but it's a fairly good read.

I also recommend highly Frankenstein. I had to read it this summer for AP Lit. and hated it at first, but as I continued and worked with it, I came to really enjoy it.

Beowulf. An awesomely interesting classic. I read it last year when I bought it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Jesus Land. It's a good book, but definitely not for younger kids. My cousin gave it to me the summer of my sophomore year in high school and I really liked it.

I also recommend the book Memoirs of a Geisha. I read this in World Lit. I and absolutely loved it. It's a truly awesome book.

And finally, I recommend Beach Music. It's another book from my cousin. I've started into it about a third of the way and really like it. I haven't finished it yet, but I can tell it'll be just as good at the end as it is right now.
AlwenElvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2008 11:09
hi. I am an author (yes, a teenage one) and I want to recommend all you Tolkienites to my book. It's not out yet. It is still lingering in the editing stage, but it's called "The Keepers of Elenath". It will arrive sometime in 2009. Enjoy!
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 04, 2008 03:17
my brother is writing a book. A Star Wars book. It too is in the Proofreading/Editing stage. dont know when it will be ready :rolleyes: lol
LightElfRowena
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2008 02:23
If anyone read Eragon and/or Eldest, you got to read Brisingr. I heard it's the best story out of the two. I haven't read it yet, but I will soon!
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2008 03:32
I haven't gotten to Brisingr yet, but I'm sure it's fantastic. By the way, the Twilight series is good too, if you don't mind a mix of fantasy into the real world. Breaking Dawn was a little out there, but it had a happy ending! I'm a sucker for happy endings.
LightElfRowena
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2008 02:26
I haven't gotten to Brisingr yet, but I'm sure it's fantastic. By the way, the Twilight series is good too, if you don't mind a mix of fantasy into the real world. Breaking Dawn was a little out there, but it had a happy ending! I'm a sucker for happy endings.

Isn't the book about vampires? I heard that it's going to be made into a movie. To be honest, i'm not really a fan of fantasy/real world mix. But i know alot of people who love reading the series.
<< First56789Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email