Register

<< First678910
Author Topic:
Frodo~the~Second
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: book recommendations
on: December 29, 2010 05:23
I would recommend books by an author named Bill Myers. He writes supernatural thrillers for teens and adults. I love one of his books called The Undead about an actress who believes she is being stalked by a vampire. Also, try This Present Darkness by Frank. E. Peretti, and its sequal, Piercing the Darkness. Oh, and his book Nightmare Academy. They're all really exciting books!
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2011 09:44
Does anyone have some really good science fiction recommendations? Or on the off chance that anyone reads this genre, steampunk? I'm having a hard time finding stuff to read. And I really want more books.

More good reads:

Brody's Ghost-Mark Crilley
Miki Falls-Mark Crilley
The Fortress of Pearl-Michael Moorcock
Where's My Cow?-Terry Pratchett
A Distant Soil-Colleen Doran
Coraline-Neil Gaiman
Sibynelle
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2011 09:09
If there is someone, who loves history and romance, I would recommend Anna Godbersen's books. I've read only first three of them and I must say that I fell in love with them. Those books are placed in New York, year 1899-1900.
As far as I know, Anna Godbersen has written some books placed in early 90's. I haven't read those yet, because they are not yet available in Finnish, but I'm allready waiting for them
Image Image Image
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: July 07, 2011 10:41
SF starofdunedain? Stanislaw Lem and Theodore Sturgeon, but you probably know them. Kilgore Trout. Maybe Doc Smith. Terrible writing, great ideas. Lensman series starts with two galaxies colliding.

Dune already mentioned. Brilliant book, terrible film.
Forget Dan Brown, read Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco.
Winnie The Pooh . Great book, awful film.
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.
Most things by Kurt Vonnegut.
And of course anything by the hero of fantasy, Lord Dunsany. Hard to find though. Lyn Carter did a couple of compilation paperbacks, I've got At The Edge Of The World.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2011 06:31

I alreccoemend the Pink Carnation series if anyone likes mystery, romance, spies, and Napeloen. The Cousins war series by Phillipa Gregory is really good too. It's about the War of the Roses.
Ellirwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2011 03:18
The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare. It's historical fiction. (I love historical fiction.) I actually had to read it for school last year. It's about a church of England girl from Barbados who goes to live with her Puritan relatives in I think Connecticut in the late 1600's-early 1700's. (I don't remember exactly.) Obviously, she doesn't fit in very well... it's very good, starting at the near end of her voyage and culminating in a witch trial.
"Though she be but little, she is fierce." -A Midsummer Night's Dream
Andromeda_of_Imladris
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2011 08:39
a long time favorite of mine is Runemarks by Joanne Harris. Its a fantasy novel set in the world of the norse myths, so if you're into norse mythology you should love it.
The sequal, Runelight, is coming out in november
ImageImage
tarcolan
Send Message
on: August 28, 2011 12:23
starofdunedain still after some SF? I've nearly finished a trilogy by Alastair Reynolds starting with 'Revelation Space'. Nice to get something believable for once, he's an astronomer, works at ESA. Gripping stuff.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2011 10:40
Tanith Lee's White as Snow is amazing. Its kinda dark fantasy though but I love how she twisted the story of Snow White.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2011 07:10
I'll check that out tarcolan, thanks!
Also, does anyone here read web comics? Not exactly books but still good reading. A lot of them I think get published eventually.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: book recommendations
on: May 15, 2012 10:48
Ranger's Apprentice!!! They're amazing in my opinion.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: May 15, 2012 11:37
Hunger Games.. though I'm sure it's been mentioned before..

A seemingly good read is The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie. Yes, Hugh Laurie. The man can do anything and excel at it. I haven't finished it but it has been good and interesting.
lordoftheringer
Assistant Ghost of Mandos
Send Message
on: July 04, 2012 10:15

Wheel of Time series-Robert Jordan

I second the Wheel of Time, and raise you Dune by Frank Hebert, if you like Sci-Fi.

"The more tragic things get, the more I feel like laughing." - Mat Cauthon
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2012 08:07
The Inkheart trilogy: Inkheart, Inkspell, and Inkdeath, by Cornelia Funke. It's a great fantasy, taking place back and forth between the real world and "the Inkworld." Highly recommended to anyone who likes a good thick fantasy.
I like pretty much everything she (meaning Cornelia Funke) has written!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Silnimriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 23, 2012 07:36
These may have been up already, but I'll put in seconds for the Belgariad series, by David Eddings, and the Sabriel series by Garth Nix. Both are fairly long, but are worth the time. For a quick SF genre, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is one of the best books I have ever read.

Also, if you like fairy tale spins, everything by Robin Mckinley is worth reading.
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2012 12:27
The Sword of Shannara, great book by Terry Brooks.
"All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2012 01:00
Yeah, i like that one too Beren. The 3rd book in the series The Wishsong of Shannara is really good too
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2012 03:04
The Game of Thrones Series
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2012 03:12
To much adult content for some of us younger peeps on here.
Andromeda_of_Imladris
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2012 06:40
Quote from starofdunedain on December 12, 2011, 05:10
Also, does anyone here read web comics? Not exactly books but still good reading. A lot of them I think get published eventually.

I do! I love web comics, and I read a lot of them.
Some of my favourites are:

Legostar Galactica - http://www.legostargalactica.net/
Archipelago - http://archipelagocomic.com/comic/
Slightly Damned - http://www.sdamned.com/
Skin Deep - http://www.skindeepcomic.com/
Gunnerkrigg Court - http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/index2.php
Thistil Mistil Kistil - http://tmkcomic.depleti.com/
Brat-Halla - http://brat-halla.com/ - on hiatus but the arcives are really worth the read
ImageImage
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2012 02:47
Ok, I LOVE The Door Within Trilogy, The Two Princesses of Bamarre, Ella Enchanted, Cinderellis and the Glass Hill, They Loved To Laugh (copyright 1950 so I don't know if you could find it anywhere), Spy X books....yeah I LOVE to read.

Show that Mordor pride!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2012 11:48
Just wanted to recommend The Saga of Rex. Wonderfully cute graphic novel. The author currently has a Kickstarter project going on.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michelgagne/the-saga-of-rex-the-animated-film-project/posts/350699?ref=activity
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2012 08:09
I also REALLY love The Anne of Green Gables series.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
tarcolan
Send Message
on: November 21, 2012 02:07
Alan Garner. I'm bowled over by his latest book Thursbitch, the only one I've read. I was writing a story much like it but I've given it up now. This is 1000 times better. So I think his Weirdstone trilogy might be good. Has anyone read it?
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: November 21, 2012 05:22
Odd that you should ask...I'm half-way through Garner's Weirdstone of Brisingamen right now. Too soon for a review, though I'm liking it so far.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
tarcolan
Send Message
on: November 21, 2012 05:47
Gosh, that's spooky.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2013 12:07
Mareth, I got excited when I saw you read "They loved to laugh"! It's such a good book. I also concur with your other listings. =)
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2013 05:08
Yay! I love that book! Isn't it delightful when you find someone else that enjoys the same books as you?

Something else I can hardly believe I forgot to mention is The Mysterious Benedict Society books! They are AWESOME! Most certainly some must-reads!
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
Any novels by Alistair MacLean are good, most notably in my opinion, The Way To A Dust Death

Anything by Louis L'Amour, especially The Walking Drum, although he mostly wrote westerns.

Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Don't remember if I said it already, but The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle is a very good book. I like Sherlock Holmes a lot. Arthur Conan Doyle was an absolute genius!

[Edited on 07/24/2013 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I love the books The Girl of Fire and Thorns and The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson. Excellently written!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
Starbounders by Adam J. Epstein is really good for younger readers, as is the Familiar series by him.

I also liked Rapunzel's Revenge and Calamity Jake by Shannon & Dean Hale.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I read both of those books you mentioned at the end of your post, and i would reccomend them as well.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
I'm reading the Love Comes Softly series written by Janette Oke. I'm on the sixth book, and there are eight books in the series. They are very good! Not like modern love books. These are actually realistic. They are probably some of my most favorite books. I highly recommend them!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, they are very good!
<< First678910
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email