Send Message
Post RE: book recommendations
on: July 12, 2006 01:48
Okay:

1. Harry Potter
2. The Wheel of Time
3. Eragon and Eldest
4. Anything by Dean Koontz.

I didn't know you were here Nathan...nice to see you here bro!

Anyway, yes I will agree with him. Especially for The Wheel of Time Series!

I would also like to reccomend The Tamuli by David Eddings, someone from my college reccomended it to me and it's great!

~YunaTS
ArwenEvenstar985
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2006 10:55
I'm in the middle of this book called Once Upon A Winter's Night by Dennis L. McKiernan and it is a great book that I strongly suggest to all fantasy, fairy tale book lovers. It's romantic/adventerous, and it's just a great story, I'm in the middle of it right now and I just can't stop reading it :love:
Failië
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2006 03:02
I just finished:

The Thief
The Queen of Attolia
The King of Attolia

They're really good and are by Megan Whalen Turner. I'm not sure I got my spelling right though...
Mullog
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2006 12:13
If you're interested in Arthurian books I would recommend Stephen R. Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle. It consists of five books:

1.Taliesin
2.Merlin
3.Arthur
4.Pendragon
5.Grail

Other books I would recommend:

Narnia(They are the best books if you don't consider Tolkien...)
Wheel of Time(Robert Jordan)
Earthsea(Ursula le Guin)
Agatha Christie's crime books
Harry Potter
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2006 05:16
A Great and Terrible Beauty by LibbaBray is another good book.
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: November 17, 2006 01:09
Prepare yourselves for a long list, lol

First of all, LotR, The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, Unfinished Tales, etc.etc.

The Harry Potter series, by JK Rowling

Watership Down by Richard Adams

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

The Eagle of the Ninth series by Rosemary Sutcliff :
The Eagle of the Ninth
The Silver Branch
The Lantern Bearers

Outcast by Rosemary Sutcliff. Heck, any book by her Though these four are the ones I have read so far. I've got the King Arthur stories on my bookshelf but I'm saving it for Christmas

Any book by Thea Beckman. You'll get a cookie if you know her books I don't think many of them have been translated to English (she's Dutch), but here are my favourites:
Crusade in Jeans ("Kruistocht in spijkerbroek", definitely been translated!)
Stad in the storm ("City in the storm")
Kinderen van Moeder Aarde ("Children of Mother Earth")
Het helse paradijs ("The hell-like paradise")
Het Gulden vlies van Thule ("The golden fleece of Thule")
De val van de Vredeborch ("The Fall of the Vredeborch")

If you can't find any of the above in English, or whatever other languages you speak, learn Dutch. It's worth it, trust me

Beowulf It rocks. It truly does.

The Elder Edda :disco: And any old stuff like that really, the Icelandic sagas are also great

[Edited on 17/11/2006 by Celedë_Anthaas]
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2006 11:00
Wicked is also a good book.
Smi
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2006 10:14
If you just want some light reading with absurd English humour and craziness go read anything by Robert Rankin. I reccomend Waiting for Godalming, my personal favourite. Still waiting to get that one back from my friend...
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 08, 2006 04:36
Catcher In The Rye by J.D. Salinger is such a great and well written novel. I read it this year for English class and I loved it. I wouldn't mind rereading it over and over again maybe because the main character and I relate.

It's about a young teenager in the early 1900s or mid 1900s, Holden Caulfield, tells his Christmas vacation. When the story unfolds you begin to see his serious mental illness which is depression mainly caused he can't conform into the normal society.

There's so much symbolism and meaning in the story which I can mention but I'll just give the story away.
MeiLin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2006 09:33
I do alot of reading. I mean alot. I can read 4 books at a time and finish them all within a week or two. I do read books in order to. I can somehow keep all the storylines and stuff straight to so hmmm what would I recommend. Most of what I read is fantasy like Lord of the Rings and some Christian books as well.

Highly recommend:
The Immortals series by Tamora Pierce
Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce
Circle of Magic & Circle Opens series by Tamora Pierce
The dark elf trilogy (also goes by Legend of Drizzt) byR.A.Salvatore
(The one above is a series of 13 books)
The Cleric Quintet by R.A.Salvatore (series of 5 books)
Green Rider by Kristain Britain
Riders first call by Kristain Britain
(Those that like Tamora Pierce's writing may like Kristain Britain. Her writing and stories are simliar in style and storyline)
The Ishbane Conspiracy by Randy Alcorn
Bamboo and Lace by Lori Wick
The Hobbit by J.R.R.Tolkien
Lord of the Rings by J.R.R.Tolkien (if you haven't read them already)
Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis

The Ishbane Conspiracy is really an eye opener to anyone who reads it. Give it a chance. Its really well written. I have read thousands more that I could recommend by my mind is not with me today. :love:
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2006 04:59
I've read so many good books I can't remember them! :rolling:
But 'Crispin' by Avi is one of the best-written books I have read so far
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: December 27, 2006 03:31
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo :heart:
Tyrhael
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 12:12
I can't believe I haven't recommended some stuff!

Janny Wurts' series with Curse of the Mistwraith, Ships of Merior, Warhost of Vastmark, Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy, Peril's Gate, Traitor's Knot ... is EXCELLENT... it's high fantasy, but it in NO way follows the typical fantasy storylines, i.e. Hero lives in comfortable setting until Old-Man-archetype drags him out onto some important Quest. It's really different than any fantasy series I've read before, and the characters are EXTREMELY excellently developed. It's not even possible to say how three-dimensional and interesting they are. And they're not 'perfect', either! They each have unique flaws, and how they deal with them (if they do) makes the stories so much more interesting. There are many, many different conflicts and sub-story plots going on at once, and they keep evolving and getting even more interesting, though not as stretched-out as to get Wheel-of-Time-ish. It's a MUST to read this series, in my opinion.

There's also Brandon Sanderson's Elantris, which is a fantasy story which has extremely interesting philosophical backdrops within the story. It's very ironic, too. VERY ironic.
BookMasterJMV
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2006 02:17
Woohoo! This sounds like my kind of thread...

If you like political thrillers (ala 24 with Jack Bauer/Keifer Sutherland), check out...

Vince Flynn - Mitch Rapp series (Transfer of Power, The Third Option, Separation of Power, Executive Power, Memorial Day, Act of Treason) and standalone Term Limits

If you enjoy historical fiction and/or alternative history, check out...

Harry Turtledove - "Father of Alternative History", so just about anything he writes. However, I enjoyed: Ruled Britannia and the Crosstime Traffic series (Gunpowder Empire, Curious Notions, In High Places, and The Disunited States of America)

H.N. Turteltaub - This is a pseudonym of Mr. Turtledove's. Be sure to read Justinian and his Menedemos and Sostratos series (Over the Wine-Dark Sea, The Gryphon's Skull, The Sacred Land, and Owls to Athens)

Eric Flint - Along with other authors, he has created the Ring of Fire series (1632, 1633, 1634: The Galileo Affair, Ring of Fire, Grantville Gazette, 1634: The Ram Rebellion, and 1635: Cannon Law). He also is working on his Trail of Glory series (1812: The Rivers of War and 1824: The Arkansas War).

That's all for now!
miss_Eowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2007 05:59
I don't know why nobody has mentioned him before, but Tad Williams is one of the best fantasy authors. ( maybe someone did mention him, then I'm just blind ) His books are some of my favorite ones.

- Memory Sorrow & Thorn (4 books) Incredible books, the beginning is a bit long, but once you're past that, it is amazing.You do have to have some space on your bookshelf, they're all about 800 pages.

- Tailchaser's song. About a cat! really fun, especialy if you like cats.

- Shadowmarch. The first of his new serie. Very exciting, although I now have to wait for the other books to come out.
He has written some other books, but haven't read them yet.

I have some other favorites, but I don't really have the time to mention them now, so I'l be back later.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: February 13, 2007 10:06
For Arthurian material I can recommend Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy
The Crystal Cave
The Hollow Hills
The Last Enchantment

They are very well researched as to Britain in the period after the Romans left. Liuke Middle Earth, it's a world to be immersed in.
Tyrhael
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2007 02:17
I agree with reading Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series. It's highly enjoyable.
Mintis
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2007 07:12
i highly recomend "ERAGON" and "ELDEST" by Ch. Paolini.
recently those are my favourites
Mormegil_Adanedhel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2007 03:03
There are way too many books. Standing out though, are these:

LotR: (of course)

Enders Game (very good sci-fi)

Lord of the Flies (incredible...read it!)

A Tale of Two Cities (i <3 sydney carton.... even though i'm a guy... I guess i'd like to be like him... in a good way...)

Not to brag, but i'm really happy with my book. It's called Aeretos, and i'd like to send it to a publisher or two to try and get it published. It's not too long though, i'd add a few others and make a collection. Hey, if you're interested, look in the club section for The Inklings club, under the latest post for Aeretos. It has an excerpt from my book.
Lady_Mairwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2007 02:13
For those of you who like cats, I'd recommend Warriors (six books) and the sequel Warriors: A New Prophecy (also six books).

The book is about a kittypet (pet cat) named Rusty. He dreams about leaving his yard and living in the forest that lies near his house. One day, he finally leaves and joins the Thunder Clan- one of four forest cat clans. When he joins, he is renamed Firepaw and made an apprentice warrior. The books follow his life from apprentice to warrior and eventually to when he becomes leader of the Thunder Clan.

It's a really awesome series- you should give 'em a try!
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: April 10, 2007 11:00
Gunnlaug's saga is wonderful, and probably the easiest of the Icelandic sagas. I love it. I'm rerereading it at the moment :heart:

I can also recommend A history of Rome from its origins to 529 AD, as told by the Roman historians by Moses Hadas (and some 30-40 ancient Greek & Roman authors). It's basically bits and pieces of stuff written by these ancient authors (Livius, Tacitus, Dio Cassius, etc.), then edited and put together so that it reads like one story. It's very interesting It might not be easy to get hold of though, it's pretty old (dad gave it to me).

Also, I want to buy a book or two for my little brother (he's 14). He doesn't read much - he says reading is boring. He reads Harry Potter, but that's it, and I'd really love it if he tried some other books too. Can anyone recommend me some books? I think he'd like something fantasy-ish, not too long, with a fair amount of humour, and not too complicated.

StormyBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2007 01:17

Also, I want to buy a book or two for my little brother (he's 14). He doesn't read much - he says reading is boring. He reads Harry Potter, but that's it, and I'd really love it if he tried some other books too. Can anyone recommend me some books? I think he'd like something fantasy-ish, not too long, with a fair amount of humour, and not too complicated.

How about The Prydain chronicles by Lloyd Alexander? They are fantasy, short, and entertaining reading. There are 5 books, and the first one is called The Book of Three. They're YA books but I don't think would be too young for him. I still love them!
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2007 05:25
Oooh, I'm not the only person in the world fascinated by Arthurian legend!

So...recommendations.

A Great and Terrible Beauty and Rebel Angels by Libba Bray. 2 books of a YA trilogy; the third is due out this fall. Genre: Historical fiction, fantasy, with a good dash of romance thrown in on the side. Why I'm recommending them: These books are amazing. It normally takes ages for an author to make his or her way onto my Favorites List, but Libba Bray got on with just one book. Then I spent the next 3 weeks tracking down Rebel Angels.

Les Miserables, Victor Hugo

Ivanhoe, Sir Walter Scott

Frankenstein, Mary Shelley (I'm in the middle of this one right now)

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes cycle:

A Study in Scarlet
The Sign of Four
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
The Hound of the Baskervilles
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
The Return of Sherlock Holmes
The Valley of Fear
His Last Bow
The Case Book of Sherlock Holmes

Classic mystery. Try to follow Mr. Holmes' reasoning...it'll leave your head spinning, but it will be a bit of fun too.

And... the Harry Potter series. Of course.

AND...If anyone is here who hasn't read Lord of the Rings yet, shame on you! Go read it NOWWWWWWWW!

[Edited on 15/4/2007 by Michaela]
StormyBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2007 01:13

Ivanhoe has been on my list for a long time, but I haven't gotten around to it. Is it worth the read? When I'm busy it takes me a while to get through a long book!
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2007 02:18

Ivanhoe has been on my list for a long time, but I haven't gotten around to it. Is it worth the read? When I'm busy it takes me a while to get through a long book!

It takes some time to get into but it's definitely worth the read. I liked it. Of course, I'm weird that way.
Fingolfin~of~Beleriand
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2007 05:14
I think anyone who likes LOTR( I think that's everyone at this site) would like a trilogy by Ted Dekker. I don't know the name of the trilogy, but I know the name of the books, which are Black, Red, & White. They are sooooo good!
frodoforever100
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2007 02:25
Well of course any books by JRR Tolkien but one of the best series ever is the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyers. it is seriously THE best!!!
Alyanome
Norn av Urd
Send Message
on: May 20, 2007 08:12
I think it's time for me to post here again. Been through several books since last time.

Glen Duncan: I, Lucifer - for anyone who liked Good Omens, this is worth for reading.

Sergei Lukyanenko: Night Watch & Day Watch - Horror/fantasy type of story by Russian author.

Torey Hayden: Tiger's Child - or any book really. Very sad but good real world stories.

Anne-Sophie Brasme: Breathe - story about youth and friendship.

Antonella Gambotto: Eclipse: A Memoir of Suicide - NOTE: Not about making one, it's true story about a woman who lost many of her friends in this way.

Lionel Shriver: We Need to Talk about Kevin - story about a woman who's boy killed several students and a teacher in his school.

John Irving: The Cider House Rules - story of an orphan.

Arthur Golden: Memoirs of a Geisha - as the title says.

Renate Dorrestein: A Heart of Stone - story about postpartum depression.

[Edited on 21/5/2007 by Alyanome]
Nessa_Saelind
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2007 07:25
I don't know if this has been suggested before, but a couple of months ago I wrote a short review about Asimov's book Robots of Dawn, so here's the review

Isaac Asimov – Robots of Dawn

Main characters:

- Elijah Baley – detective from Earth
- R. Daneel Olivaw – a detective robot from Aurora
- Dr. Han Falstofe – a roboticist from Aurora
- Gladia Delmarre also known as Gladia Solaria – a woman from Solaria currently living on Aurora
- R. Griskard Revetlov – a telepathic robot from Aurora
- Kelden Amadiro – head of the Robotics Institute on Aurora

Robots of Dawn is the third book in Isaac Asimov’s series about detective Baley and his robot partner Daneel Olivaw; it is also a part of a much larger Robotic series which includes a collection of short stories and novels – some unrelated to the detective series. The rest of the novels from the Baley/Olivaw series are (aligned by reading order): Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun and Robots and Empire.

The story describes an unusual incident that happened on planet Aurora: Jander Panell, a humanoid robot similar to Daneel Olivaw has been destroyed by a mental block (“robotocide” as Baley later terms it) and all the evidence imply that Dr. Han Falstofe destroyed the robot, although he denies the deed. Because of Dr. Falstofe’s position in the Auroran council and the fact he is also a prominent member of the Auroran political fraction that favours Earth this incident threatens his political career.

Officials from Earth, on Falstofe’s request, send detective Baley to Aurora so he can resolve this problem and save Dr. Falstofe’s reputation and political career. On Aurora he is again partnered with R. Daneel Olivaw, as well as R. Griskard, another of Falstofe’s robots. During his stay on Aurora detective Baley meets an old friend; Gladia Delmarre from Solaria, but he also meets Dr. Falstofe’s chief political rival Kelden Amadiro the head of the Robotic Institute. In a couple of breathtaking series of events Baley manages to resolve the crime and discover who the true perpetrator is.

In Robots of Dawn Asimov showed all of his writing skill, his talent to create a great detective story and dramatic, spine-chilling turns in it. The dialogues are brisk, funny on occasion and they help the reader to imagine a society of the future. His descriptions of Auroran and Earth’s society, their differences and customs are absolutely amassing. I would also like to single out the way Elija Baley’s adaptation to Aurora is described as one of the best character developments I have ever read. You won’t regret for reading this, I sincerely recommend it.

~***~

And I would also like to recommend Noah Gordon's book: the Physician, an excellent book which talks about a young man from England who wants to become a real doctor (not like those charlatans he sees in England), but to do that he has to go to Persia and learn from the greatest physician of that era Avicena. The story is set in a Medieval environment and it's filled with interesting and useful stuff, especially for those who RP healers
Thimbledon
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2007 08:52
THese are some of my favourite
Til we have faces..C.S.Lewis
Catch 22: can't remember the author
The Cather in the Rye: can't remember author
One Fat Summer: Robert Lipsyte
The Da Vinci Code: Dan Brown
The Hobbit: Just Guess
a bunch more i can't remember right now
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2007 04:34
A new entry on my "favorite authors" list - Ray Bradbury. So far I've read Fahrenheit 451 and Dandelion Wine, and I loved both. They're amazing, and the writing is absolutely captivating. :love: Fahrenheit 451 is about a world without books (disturbing, but an amazing story nonetheless). Dandelion Wine, which I just finished today, is the story of one summer. I recommend reading it outside in the sun with a nice glass of lemonade or iced tea...
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2007 11:59
I've just finished reading 'Labyrinth' by Kate Mosse. An excellent book. Set in two ages, 1209 and 2005. It is a story about the persecution of the Cathars and some of the descriptions are fairly bloodthirsty. There's romance and fighting. The main theme is the Holy Grail.

Other authors I enjoy are:

Anne McCaffrey, especially her Dragons of Pern books.
Dan Brown, the Da Vinci Code, etc.
Lillian Taylor Braun, she writes a series of books called 'The Cat Who...' Very entertaining mystery/crime stories.
Nicholas Evans, The Horse Whisperer, The Loop, The Smoke Jumpers and The Divide Four very good books.

You can click the authors names and find out more about their work. There are countless other authors I have read over the years, but I think that will do for now.
Astalder
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2007 05:17
I'll recommend my top favorite books: The Count of Monte Cristo and Cyrano de Bergerac.

Count of Monte Cristo is one of the best books ever, and its movie just as good.

Cyrano is absolutely hilarious!!!

these are both books I read in school and actually read over and over!!!
Sedhon
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2007 05:40
The Shannara series is a great and welk thought-out series written by Terry Brooks. Fifteen books, and still going, plus a graphic novel coming out in 2008, and a movie in the making.
~LadyOfEdoras~
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2007 04:13
Imperium by robert Harris
Pride and Predujice jane Austen
<< First45678Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email