Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
~Aranel~
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: book recommendations
on: December 29, 2004 01:28
I would recommend to anyone "The Da Vinci Code" written by Dan Brown. Quite possibly my most favourite book of 2004! Brilliantly written!
Kingamongmen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2005 04:51
Dan Brown!
Incredible stuff. So far I've read Deception Point and Angels and Demons. Both only took one sitting, and I don't have time to read lol. I can't wait to get my hands on the da vinci code!
CrazyInsaneJess
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2005 03:40
I recommend Taiko, by Eiji Yoshikawa.
It's a fantastic story about the great man, Hashiba Hideyoshi, who unified Japan.
I love Japanese history, so if your into samurai, glory, and war, I think you'd enjoy it very much!
Batânraktûk
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2005 11:11
I'm amazed noone has mentioned Dune!

I can highly recommend it, read all the original books by Frank Herbert:

Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heritics of Dune, Chapterhouse: Dune

it's one of the most complex and awesome series I've ever read.
ArFeiniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2005 02:24
I think I have found my favorite thread. Now I just have to find time to read all of the wonderful suggestions.

I have to agree with Varagaladhiel and recommend anything by Jane Austen and Agatha Christie.

Also...
Anything by Charles Dickens is bound to be good. The man had a gift with words. My particular favorite was A Tale of Two Cities. I cried harder at the end of that book than I ever have before or since.

Someone mentioned The Counte of Monte Cristo. Definitely. Read it. You won't regret it.

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy

The Phantom of the Opera. For those who have seen the Andrew Lloyd Weber version, you're in for a surprise.

I really love the classics and rare books. One of my favorite rare authors (if you can find their books) are Harold Bell Wright and Randall Parish.
lanfear
Craziness' Guidance Counsellor
Send Message
on: January 11, 2005 12:44
Mercedes Lackey Owlflight, Owlsight and Owlknight Valimar Series are very good

Sebastian Faulks- Birdsong, The Girl At The Lion D'Or and On Green Dolphin Street

Stephen R. Donaldson- Chronicles of Thomas Covenant You will end up falling in love with The Land! but it will be a long while before we see the end of the series and Daughter of Regents

Julian Barnes England, England A funny and very dry book.

John Fowles The French Lieutenant's Woman much better than the film!

James Barclay's Chronicles of The Raven Which is a much faster paced fantasy book about a group of mages/mercenaries/soldiers and their adventures in Balia.

P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster stories

Diana Wynne Jones Worlds of Chrestomanci which are aimed at a younger audience but are very fun reads regardless.

Phillippa Pearce Tom's Midnight Garden which is a very grown up children's book questioning the nature of Time

Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men In A Boat and Three Men On A Bummel are also worth a look as they are very funny classics

And that's all I can think of that hasn't been mentioned already!

[Edited on 27/1/2005 by lanfear]
fan
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2005 08:13
His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (just thought I'd reinforce this one). Its my third favourite book of all time and you just can't put it down. The story is complicated nd I cant't relly explain it but they are superbly written and although they're childrens books they are well worth a look. Also The Crucible by Arthur Miller is quite good (it's a play about the Salem witch hunts in the 1600's and they made a film about it with Winona Ryder).
lanfear
Craziness' Guidance Counsellor
Send Message
on: January 27, 2005 11:59
Afew funny but not entirely fictional, sort of mock text books are:

The Paranoid's Pocket Guide -Cameron Tuttle very funny!
The Timewaster Letters -Robin Cooper some are very surreal
Never Hit a Jellyfish with a Spade: How to Survive Life's Smaller Challenges -Guy Browning Laugh out loud at some of these situations!
Law of the Playground: A Puerile and Disturbing Dictionary of Playground Insults and Games Jonathan Blyth Which is worth it just for the caption "because they weren't all your friends, and you don't want to be reunited with them"

All of which made happy Christmas reading!
nerd
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2005 11:43
I want 2 suggest anything by Jane Austen i kno its not really fantasy or sci-fi but they r really good books. 1 of my favourites is Pride and Pedjudice! I also want 2 suggest a series of books (which r fantasy) the first in the series is called the named and the second is called the dark (a new 1 the key is coming out soon) they r written by marianne curley i think, i could b wrong.
I hope this message goes in the right place this time cos last time i tried to post a message i did it in the wrong place :blush:
sweetlittleelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2005 10:02
I know its like a kids novel, but they are some of my fave books- The Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice books!!! By Jude Watson. They are great, about Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon when they were master and apprentice. You see all of the tale, from when Obi-
\\\\c cv vvvvvvvvvvvds My kitten says hello, anyway,) Wan becoming his apprentice till......... You know. Even though they weren't written by George Lucas,and they are relatively easy to read, I highly recomend them A++
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 06, 2005 03:08
^ I'm not the only one who like them then... **Huggles Qui-Gon Jinn** Valar, I'm strange.

**Cough** Anywho!

- Terry Brooks' Shannara series. They're not acctually that good in my opinion, but reading through them and looking for all the LotR stuff provides such a laugh that it's worth reading them. The worst one is the Sword of Shannara, if I remember correctly.

- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. All right, I know it's all ready been said, but I automatically have to suport anything to do with autism. Anything that promotes awareness. Autism rules! :rolling:

- Howl's Moving Castle. It's being made into a film by the same people who did Spirited Away, but it's deffiantly worth a read. Look out for Rivendell

- The Gift is a brilliant book, which is quite similar to LotR in style, but a completly different plot. But it's the first of a trilogy... and the other's aren't out yet. **Sigh**

Sorry I don't know the authors of all of these, but I tend to read books from the libary rather then buy them - you can tell which ones I really love because I've brought them (and that's why I have two bookshelves of Tolkien/Tolkien related books.)
Gil_Aurwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2005 08:42
someone mentioned historical fiction, if anyone is interested in getting really involved in some wonderful historical fiction, try Dorothy Dunnett. read the Lymond Chronicles before the House of Niccolo. the first book is Game Of Kings - phenomenal
the language is very high level and she quotes a lot of Latin, French, etc and expects her readers to understand - which I loved!
so enjoy and PM me if anyone wants to start a thread about these books b/c i would love to have people to discuss this with!

[Edited on 7/3/2005 by Gil_Aurwen]
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2005 08:09
I'd like to second a few of the nominations for good books. The Georgia Nicholson Chronicles are great (mentioned above), goofy but fun and written like diary entries.

The guardians of Ga'Hoole series by Kathryn Lasky is a must read for fans of juvenile/teen lit.

I just finished the 6th and (I think) final book in a series called Warriors by Erin Hunter. Amazing stories! They really mirror life as we know it on this planet by using cat (ferrel) clans as the main characters and their trials. It's a truly amazing series. I read the last two books in two days. (don't get to sit around all day and read like I'd like to) Warning Book Five will make you cry.
Bealocwealm
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2005 08:52
i have read and loved so many books so i'll only mention a few...
The Belgariad - five of the best books i have ever read. Easy plot-line, awesome ideas, terrific characters. By: David Eddings
The Mallorean - five more books to continue the story for those not satisfied with just The Belgariad. By: David Eddings
Also they have the back stories of these. "Belgarath the Sorcerer" and "Polgara the Sorceress". By: David & Leigh Eddings. (note: there is also the Rivan Codex but this is mostly author's notes)
Harry Potter - i love these books. By: J.K.Rowling
The Chronicles of Narnia - Books you can get lost in at most any age. By: C.S. Lewis
Holiday House - fun, yet creepy, and thrilling. By: Clive Barker
Wringer - Touching story of a boy and a bird. Caution: animal cruelty at times. may be distressing to reader. By: Jerry Spinelli (i may have this wrong)
The Golden Compass - A story involving an alternate universe in which part of the human soul takes the shape of an animal companion who reflects their human's personality and traits. Caution: involves religious and political overtones. it is classified as a children's story, but IMO it is a story for a more mature reader. (it took me reading it a second time many years later to appreciate it). By: Philip Pullman
Xanth - a series of (thus far) 28 books, of a magical land hidden amongst our own. Where puns run rampant, and mystical creatures are the norm. Very fun. By: Piers Anthony
Landover - a series of books about a man who purchases a kingdom full of magic. By: Terry Brooks
Sam_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2005 01:05
The first really addicting fantasy books i read were in middle school, they were The Lost Years of Merlin by T.A. Barron. It was a series of 5 books i think, that cronicled the 'lost' years in the Merlin lore, pretty much between his birth to the time he emerged to counsel the young King Arthur. I would recommend those books to anyone who likes a good fantasy read.
Villageboy
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2005 08:42
Magnus by Sigmund Brouwer is a GREAT book. It comes close to LOTR on my favorite books category .

Just to let you know it IS a christian book. (and really hard to find)

[Edited on 30/3/2005 by Villageboy]
9digithobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2005 06:47
Ooh! I gotta put my $0.02 in on this... there's a handful of books that I think are absolutely spectacular and always come back to for another read eventually...

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky. This book is amazing, although it's a good 800 pages and some people don't like the Russian style of writing or have a hard time getting into it... Dostoevsky knew a lot about human nature, and if you don't see yourself vividly in several of the characters of this story, I'd be very surprised. The subject matter is somewhat dark, but I think the whole of the book is very positive and uplifting... I love Father Zosima's story, particularly. The best translation I have found is by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky. Avoid abridged versions, they slaughter it.

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. The book is 1000 times better than the movies. It's not just a kid's book either, and I have read it once a year for about a dozen years now. It's great if you feel lost or apathetic or just need a new perspective.

The "Callahan's" books by Spider Robinson. All of Spider's stuff is great, but the Callahan's series is my favorite. It's light, humorous SF based around the idea that "shared pain is lessened, shared joy is increased."

Anything by Robert Heinlein. One of the SF greats. My favorites are Time Enough For Love, To Sail Beyond the Sunset, For Us the Living, Stranger in a Strange Land, and all the Future History stories. Several of those are rather controversial, but they're excellent books.

Anything by Theodore Sturgeon. Another SF great, I love his short stories but his books are great too.

Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman. by Richard Feynman. Feynman is a really interesting guy, and don't worry if you're not too into physics, it doesn't require any technical knowledge to enjoy it. I guarantee you'll be really inspired to expand your hobbies if you read this.

Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics. So what, they're comics (okay, graphic novels...) They're the best comics ever written. Sometimes disturbing, always insightful, very literate. A lot of the stories have some basis in truth, for instance "Three Septembers and a January" was where I was first introduced to Emperor Norton. I love 'em.

On the lighter side, I'd suggest "If at all Possible Involve a Cow, the book of college pranks" (I can't recall the author's name) Fascinating and hilarious. If you're terribly suggestible you'll probably be plotting to move famous landmarks into the middle of a nearby lake after you read this, or perhaps giving your rival school's mascot to the Commies.

Okay, I guess that's it. I could go on, but...
shadowofarda
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2005 05:14
Well, I love Anne Rice and vampires, so the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice is a recommend. If you're not sure if you'd like it... just read Interview with the Vampire. My personal favorite book, and the philosophy in it is just great!

Hornblower Series by C.S. Forester - Oh god, I ALMOST admire this man as much as Tolkien (*coughs* None beat teh Tolkien!) I'm currently on the 9th out of the 11 books, Commodore Hornblower and let me tell you, I'm a huge fan. British Naval Era Circa...Napoleon, I guess? I wouldn't worry about knowing nautical terms. If you're persistant enough the context clues we learned in 2nd grade and of course, the Internet, are wonderful things. ^_~

Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden - Because a well-written report/novel is always a great thing. About the Somalia Campaign during Clinton's time circa 1993. Movie was based on said book. HIGHLY interesting book----written in fiction style. Language for those who don't like.

The Exorcist - I'm reading this now.... so far, it's pretty good. Not the BEST book I read, but I like it. I'm certainly planning on finishing the book. Has language though, for those of you who don't like that.
almarea
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2005 01:03
Well I really enjoy Asimov, all of his books about science fiction (like foundation and robots stories) and also the serie of Blackwidower, Bernard Werber (french but translate in english I think), Tracy Chevalier (sort of fiction in historical time), Cyntia Voigt (fiction biography but it's more for teenager maybe), and a lot of others that I don't have in mind at this moment
Hircarnil
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2005 04:30
Recommendation:

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
Heri_Almare
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2005 02:21
I love so many books that it would take the rest of my life to name (and remember) them all, but here are the highlights.

Tolkien: obviously

Robin McKinley: anything. Her books are some of the most amazing I have ever read, excepting Tolkien, of course. They're a little hard to get into at first, but you won't be able to put them down! The Blue Sword is probably the best; definitely read it before The Hero and the Crown, its prequel, or you won't be able to fully appreciate it. Warning: Deerskin and Sunshine are not really for younger people; and all the books have a tiny amount of bad language.

Brian Jacques: the Redwall series. There's about 17 books now, the 18th comes out in August I think. Redwall is one of my obsessions. I think the best one is Marlfox but that might just be because that's where I get my nickname, Abbessung, from. Don't read these on an empty stomach or you'll die of starvation, and don't start them just before bed because you might not be able to put them down.

Richard Adams: Watership Down. If you like Redwall you'll like this, and vice versa.

Isaac Asimov: just about anything. His is some of the best science fiction ever.

Douglas Adams: The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy sounds like something my friends and I might have written. To see why, go to http://www.freewebs.com/12blue_angel21/adayinrivendell.htm. We wrote this at midnight after consuming large amounts of sugar.

Cornelia Funke: Inkheart is a book about a girl whose father can read charicters out of their books and into the real word. It's fascinating.

Christopher Paolini: Eragon is about a boy and a dragon. To say any more would spoil it.

That's all I can think of at the moment, and my brothers are begging me to get off the computer.
Rochwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2005 08:35
Two super doubly good books are: "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "the Witch of Blackbird Pond"
"The Witch of Blackbird Pond" is more for younger people, but I still find it enjoyable. it's sort of historical fiction.
"To Kill a Mockingbird" Is a WONDERFUL book and extremely well written. It's riveting, you can't put it down. I wouldn't however recommend it for children under 13.
Another good book is "Johnny Tremain" that also is for younger people, but still enjoyable for older ones. Well that's all for now. I'm sure I'll think of more later.
Adunedhwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2005 09:55
Ahhh...books. I love:

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte which is a dark and dramatic novel about a young English governess who meets her love in the person of her pupil's father. The integrity of Jane is amazng. There's also a riveting plot.

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell is set in the Civil War era in the deep South. It is quite compelling with vivid characters and insight into human nature. Also a great story.

Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis is one of the best books I've ever read! It's quite spiritual, and the last part is rather difficult to understand. But if you read it more than once you'll get it. This book is extremely Christian. It is also entertaining and really neat to almost participate in the life of ancient kings in barbaric countries beyond Greece. The plot is based on the Greek myth of Psyche and Eros.

The King Must Die and The Bull from the Sea by Mary Renault are incredibly well-written books based on the Greek myth of Theseus. They are exciting, heart-pounding and beautiful books. I love the overarching theme of the ultimate right of the King to die for his people.

I, too, love Hamlet and Les Miserables, they are both such beautiful and inspiring pieces of literature!
Tariel_Vanari
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2005 06:00
OK, besides Tolkien (anything by and/or about Tolkien) I would recommend:

1. Anything by C.S. Lewis (especialy the Chronicles of Narnia)

2. Anything by Tamora Pierce (some are better than others, but all are good)

3. The "Harry Potter" books by J.K. Rowling (enough said)

4. "Hosting the Kazimeer" by C.E. Sales (and I'm sure I spelled something wrong in there)

5. The entire "Redwall" series by Brian Jacques

6. All the other books that I like but can't remember right now

And is it just me, or am I the only person who didn't really like "Eragon?"
Lady_Aravis
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2005 08:10
I recommend the books WORMWOOD and SHADOWMANCER by G.P. Taylor. They are really good books. Shadowmancer is currently being made into a movie, so if I were you, I'd read it...then go see the movie. j/k. These books are both about greedy people w/ lust for power, and the world coming to an end. It takes place in England. That might've sounded cheesy, but they are really good stories! There is also a website for these books. It is at www.shadowmancer.com
Failië
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2005 03:15
Those books are AWESOMKE Lady_Aravis.

I'm rereading them now....

Oh, and Artemis Fowl is good too.

I know people might laugh at me for liking them (my friends do), but they're good in my opinion.
eldride
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 01, 2005 04:32
hey.. since this is a book reccomendation site, i was wondering is anyone here could reccomend a book on reformtion. i need to read a book on reformation over the summer as homework for my upcoming AP Euopean History class and i dont know what to read.... any reccomendations?
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: June 04, 2005 04:08
4. " Shake Hands With the Devil" by Romeo Dallaire.....I haven't read this yet but it has been recommended to me on a number of occasions

Is this the one thats just been made into a film of the same title about the genocide in Rowanda about 10 years ago? If it is the same one it sounds like a harrowing story, one of those books i would like to read but probably couldnt.

Tuesdays with Morrie- Mitch Ablom Ok i think i spelt the guys surname wrong... I really enjoyed this book, the writing isnt wonderful but the story and the message behind it was great. Its about a guy who is dying of motor neurone disease and his thoughts on life, death and everything... cheesy enough sounding, but it really makes you think about the way you treat people and your life in general.
Yunathesummoner
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2005 10:09
Books I'd reccomend:

One Door Away From Heaven by Dean Koontz
The Wind On Fire Trilogy by William Nicholson
Poison by Chris Wooding
Timeline by Michael Critcheon
Lone Eagle by Daniel Steel

I'll add more later.

[Edited on 8/6/2005 by Yunathesummoner]
Angel_Of_Athens
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2005 11:12
I would reccomend all of the Lois Duncan's books. I still have to buy four more books to complete the collection. My favorites of the whole collection are "Stranger With My Face" and "Down A Dark Hall" They are horror/Mystery type books.
Elfbrat18
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2005 03:13
Hm, nice reccomendations.

As many before me have said, the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling. I can remember all the times my friends and I have sat and discussed the books in class, and not long after it turned into a group thing.

Anything Mary Higgins Clark. I reccommend The Cradle Will Fall. If you like horror and susspense stories, this is a good one. We read it in one of my English classes. Simply could not put it down.

Two others in English that we read included Beowulf and Hamlet. Wonderful.

I haven't read much by Charlaine Harris, but I can say that these are excellent:

*Dead Until Dark
*Living Dead in Dallas
*Club Dead
*Dead to the World
(I just picked this one up at the library)

There's also another one that comes out after Dead to the World, but I can't remember what the name is. Anyway, these are really good books about vampires, a cocktail waitress by the name of Sookie Stackhouse (who can read minds, mind you), and all of the troubles that come with getting to know a Vampire named Bill in Bons Temp, Louisiana.

Keep in mind that these aren't for younguns, they can get graphic in a few places in the books, but other than that,, they're a great read for older audiences.
Tariel_Vanari
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2005 11:16
OK OK, I just got back from going on vacation with my family, and I picked up these books to read while I was away...and they were AWESOME!!!! The author is Stephen Lawhead, and I just read his trilogy entitlled "The Song of Albion." The individual books are called:
"The Paradise Wars" (or maybe it's just Paradise Wars, I can't remember)
"The Silver Hand"
"The Endless Knot"

Great stuff. I mean it!!! I've heard his other books are good, but I haven't read them yet. Going to the library later to get some more
slug
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2005 01:38
I have to recommend [/b]bored[b] of the rings its a great parody on lord of the rings. bit you shouldn't read it if you can't take some jokes on tolkiens characters or anything...
Celebrith
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2005 09:23
I don't know if you like books that deal with history,but if you like,I can reccomend you some that I like a lot:
Arthur Weigall-Nero(deals with the personality of the Roman emperor who...guess everybody knows,was a bit[more]crazy)
Valerio Massimo Manfredi-Alexander the Great(my favourite,though a bit fantastical,for someone who happened to be close by the main character)
Henryk Sienkiewicz-Quo Vadis(I love this book and I reccomend it to everybody)
Margaret Atwood-the Handmaid's tale(strange,yet if it happens to fall in your hands you can't let go of it)
Hope you'll like at least one of them(anyway,there aren't many).
Rilain
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2005 08:16
Good books - I know lots of those!

-David Eddings: The Belgariad, the Mallorean, Belgarath the Sorcerer, Polgara the Sorceress

-Robert Jordan: The Wheel of Time

Terry Brooks: The Sword of Shannara

-James Herriot: All of his books

CS Lewis: The Chronicles of Narnia

-Brian Jacques: Redwall

JK Rowling: Harry Potter

Some of the Stars wars books

These are just a few. Enjoy!
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email