Register

<< First678910
Author Topic:
EstelwenJesusFreak
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: book recommendations
on: October 11, 2008 09:56
Yes, Twilight is AMAZING!! I NEVER wouldve thought it was when i heard what the story was, a girl and a vampire love story?!? I was like what the heck! But then over half my school read them last year so i read the first one and COULDNT put them down!!! THey are AMAZING!! MUST READ!!
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: October 16, 2008 05:54
I really enjoyed the Twilight series as well. I just finished Breaking Dawn last week.
LightElfRowena
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2008 12:21
If you know an author name david forbes. Read the novel called "The Amber Wizard" I'm telling you, that book is incredible.
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2008 03:48
I didn't think I'd dig the whole vampire story, but those books were amazing. I haven't heard of "The Amber Wizard."

For any of you readers out there who are interested in the "Gone With the Wind" series, make sure that you read "Scarlet" by Alexandria Ripley (I think) and "Rhett Butler's People" by Donald McCaig (again, I think). "Scarlet" tells the continuing story concerning Scarlet and Rhett and "Rhett Butler's People" gives a lot on insight to Rhett's childhood and family situation.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2008 08:59
How about The Other Bolyen Girl? It is really good!
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2008 04:09
For some reason, I think I have read that. I'm not sure why, but it seems like it.

For anyone who loves historical fiction, I recommend ANYTHING by Ann Rinaldi. I just finished The Redheaded Princess by her and it was very good. Most of her books are written in American History, but that one was in England. I also read The Minister's Daughter , which is about witchcraft in England. It was interesting, but good.
Alyanome
Norn av Urd
Send Message
on: December 02, 2008 04:25
The trilogy by Russian writer Sergei Lukyanenko:

- The Night Watch
- The Day Watch
- The Twilight Watch

Don't give a poop about the movies - they suck compared to the books.

Part fantasy, part vampire story, and part detective potboiler, this is the most successful science fiction series of all time in Russia and a true international sensation.

Amazon tells about it. Could go as fantasy as well.
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2008 08:32
I'm reading A Daughter's Inheiritance by Tracie Peterson and Judith Miller...Really good. Anything by Tracie Peterson has proved to be amazing.
LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
on: December 04, 2008 11:29
Has anyone read JK Rowling's 'Tales of Beetle the Bard' yet? Cute little book...:love:
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2008 11:53
The Witcher by Andrzej Sapkowski! It's not an usual fantasy, the story is very deep and symbolic. I :heart: Geralt...
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2008 02:57
I read Jasmine Moon Murder by Laura Childs...great book for anyone who loves tea and murder mysteries. An unusual combination but very good.
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 06, 2008 06:15
If anyone is into old Norse legends, or authentic, believable stories of everyday life in medieval Norway and Sweden, I highly recommend the Kristen Lavransdatter trilogy by Sigrid Undset. They are phenomenal, and are considered classics, although the prose is easy to read. After Tolkien, this is my all-time favorite series. The stories are so well-researched and so well-written, you will feel you've been transported back in time, really. It has strong Catholic themes and references (because everyone was Catholic in those days) but also weaves into the story pagan myths and legends of elf maidens and elf-kings and spirits of the forest and rivers. Everyone who loves Tolkien should look into these books!
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2008 11:40
I loved Melting Stones by Tamora Pierce. It's about Briar Moss's student and Briar is one of the original four in the Circle of Magic quartet. Very good books.
Varanyo_Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2008 06:54
I'd reccomend the Fionavar Tapestry, by Guy Gavriel Kay (yes, that Kay, that helped edit the Silmarilion). They are:
The Summer Tree
The Wandering Fire
The Darkest Road[u/]
They are similar to LotR in plot and basic elements, but much more lush in writing style.

Also, for any historical fiction lovers, I can reccomend [u]Mara, Daughter of the Nile
, by Eloise Jarvis McGraw. Slightly cliche in plot and ending, but well worth reading.

{More reccomendations coming soon!}
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 16, 2008 03:50
Guy Gavriel Kay (yes, that Kay, that helped edit the Silmarilion).

Does this author write well? By that I mean....would you consider his writing style similar to Tolkien and a classic author, or similar to, say, Stephanie Meyers and a more contemporary writer?????
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2008 08:12
I'd reccomend the Fionavar Tapestry, by Guy Gavriel Kay (yes, that Kay, that helped edit the Silmarilion). They are:
[u]The Summer Tree
The Wandering Fire
The Darkest Road[u/]
They are similar to LotR in plot and basic elements, but much more lush in writing style.

I rather liked those books. I first read them a few years ago. Perhaps I need to read them again next year.
"The King beneath the mountains, The King of carven stone, The lord of silver fountains Shall come into his own! His crown shall be upholden, His harp shall be restrung, His halls shall echo golden To songs of yore re-sung. The woods shall wave on mountains And grass beneath the sun; His wealth shall flow in fountains And the rivers golden run. The streams shall run in gladness, The lakes shall shine and burn, All sorrow fail and sadness At the Mountain-king's return!"
Lady_Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2008 11:53
I loved The Princess Bride by William Goldman...abridged by William Goldman. It was interesting how he came to abridge the book and for anyone who has watched the movie of the Princess Bride, the book is wonderful.
darkheart
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2009 11:58
Here is my list of boks, don't know how many of these have been reccomended, but anyway;

Wheel of Time series-Robert Jordan

The Exorcist-William Peter Blatty-I know it is considered a horror book, but it isn't, not really. It is more of a thriller, but i didn't find it that scary. It's worth reading.

Star Wars!!! need i say more?

The Chronicles of Blood and Stone-Robert Newcombe-the three books are; The Fifth Sorcoress, The Gates of Dawn and the Scrolls of the Ancients. Great series

Doctor Who and Torchwood both have a series of books, different adventures that never got made into TV shows. Different authors.

CHERUB -Robert Muchamore-maybe a bit childish, but i still like it.

There are lots more but i can't think of them at the moment.

starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2009 06:07
The Metatemporal Detective by Michael Moorcock
A whole bunch of short stories staring the infamous albino sorcerer Elric a.k.a. Monsieur Zodiac.
It doesn't have a specific genre. fantasy/scifi/historical/western
:dizzy: Generally anything by Michael Moorcock is a good read. And I :love: Elric.

[Edited on 31/1/2009 by starofdunedain]
HaldirofLorien13
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2009 02:03
A Thousand Splendid Suns and The Kite Runner and two unforgettable books. I would highly recommend them both.
2_hot_red_head_twins
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2009 06:18
i'm a real book nerd. so i am lovin this.
some extreamly good books i have read are
fabelhaven
persey jackson and the olimpions(first boolk is called lightning thief)
and the rangers apprentice

all of them are fictoin just so you know. and the lightning theif is in first person.

darkheart
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2009 03:18
a new book series i am reading now is Daniel X:Alien Hunter by James Patterson. great books.
Ilfa
Surrealism of Arda
Send Message
on: May 13, 2009 05:07
Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut. Any book the guy wrote shows his distinct style of militant surrealism, with a spice of sci-fi.
heri_sinyë
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2009 11:06
"Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky!! it's really a wonderful book. I also liked "The Brothers Karamazov", but it's a lot heavier to read...

Oh, and "Sophie's world" by Jostein Gaarder is really good too...

and anything written by Gabriel García Márquez...
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2009 06:11
The 'Odd' books by Bruce Coville are a lot of fun to read.
Odder than Ever
Oddley Enough
Oddest of All
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2009 06:56
"The Once and Future King" by T.H. White is the book I'm currently reading. I highly recommend it to any fan of King Arthur or good books!
princess_precious
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2009 02:16
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this by anything by Jasper Fforde. He writes two series of novels - he has the Nursery Crime adventures with DI Jack Spratt and DC Mary Mary solving crimes about nursery rhyme characters. The Big Over Easy is about the murder of Humpty Dumpty and was hilarious!
The second series is the Thursday Next books which are books about books. Thursday Next is a LiteraTec and can jump into books which she learn through the series. They're set in an alternative reality to ours so things seems similar but aren't. There's neanderthals, vampires and time travel. This are funny but also read good reads. The Eyre Affair (the first in the series) is your average anti-war, romantic, time travelling, shooting the bad guys, crime caper, mystery, thriller story.
LightElfRowena
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2009 03:10
You have to read Exile and Mageborn Traitor. I started reading the first chapter of Exile, and I love it.
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2010 03:05
Allow me to recommend one of the best books I have ever come across – The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's set in Nazi Germany during the Second World War and tells the story of a girl named Liesel Meminger, the book thief of the title. The story is narrated by Death, which you would think would be depressing. However, I've found that while reading, you find yourself sympathizing with him (I'm assuming it's a him, it's never explicitly stated). The style of writing is almost flawless, a great achievement as even in Tolkien's work I've come upon what appear to be slip-ups or simply out-of-place sentences. And let me assure you, the last couple of chapters will have you blinking away tears. I've never cried at a book or film, but if any book could make me do so, I'd put my money on it being that one. And it doesn't lose its impact when you reread it either. I'm on maybe my fourth reread, give or take one, and it's still getting me emotional.
In short, this book is, to use a very old and worn-out phrase, a must-read. Of course every book has some review on its cover or in the first few pages that says as much, but this is one of the relatively few that actually deserves the praise.
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
Talkeen43
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2010 08:30
I've been thinking about trying some graphic novels.
Anyone have suggestions on those?

They look like the offspring of Comic books and Chapter books,
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2010 08:56
There's six volumes in the graphic novel series called Flight compiled by Kazu Kibuishi.
There's also the Amulet series by him too. They're excellent books, not manga.

Psycho Busters by Yuya Aoki and Akinori Nao
GetBackers by Yuya Aoki
Gimmick by Yozaburo Kanari and Kuroko Yabuguchi

There's lots more I like but I can't think of them.
Talkeen43
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2010 05:43
Thank you starofdunedain, I'll check those out.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2010 02:48
* - The Black Company by Glen Cook
A fantasy tale in a similar, yet different vein from Tolkien. There are ten books in the complete series, but I will only recommend the original trilogy as a great read with the others being further icing for those who really like those. The first three books are titled The Black Company, Shadows Linger, and The White Rose (I found the re-released combined hardback edition of these called The Annals of the Black Company) Its a tale of a company of mercenary soldiers whose original organized purpose has been lost to the passing of time and the loss of the company's early written records, the Annals. While their original purpose had been lost their traditions and fighting skills had not been, and through the centuries they morphed into mercenaries, and could be hired to fight for whoever could make a deal with them, and could afford to pay them. The Black Company tale starts with the company taking a job that gets them involved in a war well above the petty fiefdom battles the oldest living members had grown used to. The first three books follow the company through to the resolution of this epic power struggle and confrontation, with the aftermath unforeseen.

The 4th book onward take up where the 3rd closes the trilogy, and are written from the point of view of various members of the Black Company. A good series this. I highly recommend it.

[Edited on 9/9/2010 by Arveleg]
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
SongofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2010 06:16
I didn't have tome to read this whole thing... deeply sorry if these have all been mentioned 10 times already.

anything by Tolkien, obviously.

the Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis. i just did a research paper on it and it didn't turn me against that book forever, so it must be good. it's about demons. :evil:

Everything by Jane Austen. They're all good, but my fave is... ummm...
They're all good!:love:

The Percy Jacksom series by Rick Riordan is pretty good... really quick reads, but i found them entertaining. for younger kids, really, but that's never stopped me. lots of "kids" books are actually good if you give them a chance.

sorry... these are all really well-known books. i might have more later...
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2010 07:22
I've recently discovered an illustrated book called The Plucker by Brom. I love this book so much. It kind of reminded me of the steadfast tinsoldier and toy story but in a twisted dark kind of way.
Definatley a good read, I don't know how many times I've read it now.
Also, not really for the little ones. Might give them nightmares. :naughty:

[Edited on 20/12/2010 by starofdunedain]
<< First678910
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email