Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Price of Freedom
on: May 20, 2004 11:09
((Heya, to people who have only just seen this, theres info about it in the OOC section. Feel free to join! :disco: And to the people who have already posted in the OOC, well…here it is!ok, this is a very long post for me(I`m never usually able write this long...), and i doubt i`ll be writing that length again. But please refrain from one liners.. Otherwise, Have fun, and I hope this goes well! :hug: ))

Far outside of the palace walls, a figure leant against a nearby tree, breathing hard. She had a simple dress of a light brown and her hair a rich shade of mahogany, which hung down covering her shoulders. She turned suddenly as if expecting someone to be there. Seeing no one, she took a deep breath, and squatted on the dewy grass, taking care not to get her clothing wet. Then recalled what had happened only a few hours ago, already it seemed like days had passed...
Finn had been looking down at a red carpet when she thought of the idea of an escape plan. She had been kneeling before the Master, the King, for quite a time as he droned on about some city while upper servants who had a title as the "secretary" scribbled furiously hanging onto every word said. Finn and some other servant who seemed rather new to the palace knelt before the scene "just in case they were needed" or so the secretary had said.
Finn was used to all this. She had experienced it all her life... Since she was a young child. To be exact, life hadn’t always been in the palace. She remembered that she once lived in some town or village, and used to play in the forest. The forest...that was where her memory would fail her, she didn’t remember anything more. It simply stopped there, always. The next thing she could think of was her first time in the palace kitchen, how nervous she had been then!

But now she knew it would come to an end. It was carefully planned, and would succeed. It had to succeed, she was sick of her life stuck in the palace, and had to get away from it.

The day, which has been awaited for, finally came. It started as every day would have, and time crawled as every minute had done, but yet again Finn found herself being called to the King’s study in the evening, just as it had been when she thought of the idea. She smiled grimly, Funny how things repeat itself, on this particular day too…. After being dismissed for the night, Finn rushed away before she was caught and told to do other work, then slipped quietly into the watch house of the guards to find her friend. It was only a while walk away from the palace, yet in complete darkness, every snap of a twig, every sound of footsteps approaching was enough to freeze Finn on the spot. The grounds where, at this time, out of bounds to the lower servants. Another detail which Finn disliked.
She found him eventually. He was on watch, and was standing behind a defensive wall, looking out far away. Finn stood next to him casually, as if she had every right to be here, and started in a low whisper.
“Nenion,”
He looked at her, unsurprised as if he had expected it, “You shouldn`t be here”
“I don`t care… How`s the night?” She replied, changing the subject quickly. Nenion was one of her oldest friends, she had known him since she started work here as a child. He had been the first of the other children who were there, to talk to her.
“It`s not bad, might rain soon though, hopefully I`ll have finished duty by then” He listened carefully at what she had said, but his eyes searched into the distance, being one to always do his job properly. Typical Thought Finn, with a slight smile spreading across her face, despite the bitter chill biting into her cheeks, she felt warmer inside. Finally she knew she had to go, she now wondered about the escape. Was it the right thing to do? But it was too late to reconsider, her mind was made and there was no going back in it now..
She tapped Nenion on the shoulder indicating she had to go. She hadn`t told him about the plan, nor did she intend to, for it was obvious that he wouldn`t agree or in that matter approve. But somehow, she felt her friend knew about it all along. He smiled sadly, and almost with something like pity as Finn whispered “Farewell”, her voice filled with sorrow, and rushed back down the stairs again.

Everything after that was a blurr as Finn tried to remember it later on. She ran back to the palace, into her closet like place where personal belongings were kept, pulling out a pack she had made earlier and a thin cloak, along with the money which she had been saving for many years. Then she headed off to the King`s treasury store, and had somehow got in, grabbed an small treasure type box, and ran. It was all unclear as to how she managed it, it was like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, only with many parts missing..
And that’s how she ended up here. Outside, in the cold, rain beginning to drizzle down, just as Nenion had predicted, in the dead of night. Waiting…

[Edited on 20/5/2004 by Star_of_Earendil]

[Edited on 24/6/2004 by Star_of_Earendil]
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Price of Freedom
on: May 21, 2004 04:29
((Ok, hope this works. Yay. Tell me if there are any problems with my post...Oh yea, mines a bit on the long side too, oh well))

Durant glanced at his sister, Mette, sleeping peacefully on the dirt floor, while he recalled the days events. Early that morning, as he was walking to the stables, he'd heard a palace servant- Finn was her name- talking of escape. He'd thought she was crazy. No one escaped from the King and lived, you had to me mad to even attempt it. Or suicidal. Still, there was a strange allure to the idea, for Durant had never known a life other than this dull servitude. Trying to forget about Finn, he worked a long boring day of mucking out stalls, grooming horses and running pointless personal errands for the higher-ups.

But then, as he was returning to his quarters, there was the girl. Outside of the scullery there had been a small girl being beaten ruthlessly by one of the Royal Guards. She was small and helpless. She had been about Mette's age. Durant had tried to block out the screaming, but still, the memory was sharp as ever. Enraged, he looked once more at his content sister. She was so delicate and beautiful, so young, with a full life of this ahead of her. He'd do anything for her, anything to save her from this fate.

His fists tense and his will hardened, Durant bent over the small slumbering form. He cradled the girl in his arms, she was small and thin, easy to carry. Mette stirred slightly. "Shhh," he hushed, "We're going to find Oren." Just the mentioning his brother made Durant tense-up again. Mette wouldn't remember him, but Durant did. He'd been sold by the King 11 years ago and not seen since. With firm resolve, Durant wrapped his sister in a blanket and threw a thin sheet about his own shoulder and headed out into the night.

He went first to the stables. There was one of the stable guards there, but he hunched over, concealing Mette and mumbled something about forgetting to water one of the horses. Luckily the guard recognized Durant as the quiet hand who never caused trouble and never got him in trouble for arriving late (and drunk). Durant dashed through a small door in the tack room into the stable pantry. He knew that they kept the mid-day rations in this room. Quickly, he stuffed some hard bread and cheese into a sack and crept out the back way, still holding Mette.

It was a dark, moonless night and it was beginning to rain. This helped though, to conceal the two fugitives. The back gates near the stables and horse pastures were less heavily guarded, so Durant took advantage of them. He slipped silently throught he paths horses were lead to the grazing fields along and out through a small opening in the wall. He didn't know how he managed to make it out, but he did.

As soon as he was out of the city, he ran. By the time he reached the strip of forest that lay outside the gates, he was out of breath and extremely alert. Mette was fully awake, she grasped what was happening, but was unsure whether to be frightened or exhilarated. Still, she had enough sense to keep quiet until Durant spoke to her.

Out of the corner of his eye, Durant saw a figure duck behind a thick trunk. Instictively he slipped out of sight, and began to inch away. Suddenly, a branch snapped, breaking the silence. It startled Durant and he leapt forward, running full-on into another person. Quickly he recoiled, and saw that the person standing before him was a girl. It was the girl he'd heard that morning, Finn.
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2004 07:44
((Thats great DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve, I don`t think there is anything to change... ))

Finette, for that was her real name, sat thoughtful as the rain soaked her. Her hair hung limply, but she no longer cared. Until now she had almost refused to believe what had happened so far. It was almost like a dream. She had escaped! No one escaped without getting caught, or worse still, killed. Although she was out of the palace, how long would it be before she was dragged back in again? It was a miracle that she hadn’t been caught, she started to wonder if anyone even had seen her. But somewhere in the back of her mind, she knew all along that her escape plan was being helped. Someone had made it easier for her. And she knew who it was.

Nenion...

She bitterly laughed for a second, before tears started to well up. She was right, Nenion had found out, as hard as she tried to keep it away from him. In the end, she couldn’t do anything without receiving his help, as little as it may have been, that was how it had been all her time in the palace.. It wasn't that she was ungrateful, it was that she was annoyed at herself for relying on others.

She wanted to escape, but it wasn`t only the palace she wanted to get away from... it was her own dependence on Nenion and others she was close to. And even the first step of escape couldn’t be carried out alone. Finn felt sadness... and annoyance, this time at Nenion, though he had helped her and perhaps saved her from death.

The cold merciless rain still pounded on her, getting heavier by the minute. Now what? A voice said in her head, bringing her back to reality. She had not thought so much about what would happen after getting away.
A loud noise behind her instantly made Finn as alert as a bird would do at the presence of an eagle. Her face tensed, and she kept light on her foot, incase she was to run. Someone came running and stopped a few feet away from her. Startled, Finn shuffled slowly away from the figure. They faced one another for a while, Finn then saw that he held a young girl wrapped in blankets, with a puzzled look on her face. It took a few awkward minutes before Finn decided that he wasn’t one of the guards sent after her, and relaxed slightly.

"Who are you?" She whispered. It was bearly audible, but the man seemed to have heard.

[Edited on 22/5/2004 by Star_of_Earendil]
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2004 08:04
((Hmm, hopefullly other people will be joining early in here...But I'll continue on anyhow...))

Durant observed the young woman standing before him, she was puzzled and tense, but seeing he was clearly not a guard, she'd relxed slightly. Finally he took a step towards her, and whispered, just as softly, "I am Durant." He knelt down, and tenderly set the small child down before him, "And this, is my sister Mette.

"And you," he continued slowly and quietly, in and even tone, "are the crazy girl who spoke of escape in the Palace this morning. Or do I mistake you for someone else?" His words were teasing, but he didn't want to offend her. So seeing that she was thoroughly wet, Durant removed the blanket from his own shoulders and wrapped it about hers. The blanket was soaked as well and did little good, but Durant hoped it had been taken as a kind gesture.
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2004 08:24
((Hi everyone! I will put Curtis in the DB very soon! WOW that is a long post for me.))

"I won't, I can't, I am not a slave driver I am a knight!"
The king looked at Curtis, anger in his eyes. Curtis returned his gaze steadily. He may have been born a peasant but that did not make him afraid of his kings wrath.
A young servant girl had fallen asleep while doing her work and the king wanted her beaten for it. He had commanded Curtis to deliver the order.
"Open disobedience will get you no where." The king hissed looking away, he called one of his other officers and had him deliver the punishment order. "I should have you whipped also. Get out of my sight."

This was the third time that Curtis had defied this master. He knew it was likely to mean his death sentience would soon follow. At least his conscience was clear. He made his way out of the throne room and towards his own quarters. He passed the guard beating the child. The sound of the whip cracking and the girl crying would haunt him all his life if he did not finish what he had begun. The guards back was to Curtis as he raised the whip to strike again Curtis caught his arms and wrenched the whip out of his hands.
"That's enough." he said calmly. The soldier whirled around and tried to catch Curtis in the midriff with his fist. Curtis stepped aside and let the man spin all the way around with the momentum. A solid fist in the jaw sent the man to the ground.
"Tell your master that he ought to have me beaten." Curtis said grimly. The guard, seeing the fierce light in Curtis' eyes scrambled to his feet and ran.

The young knight knelt by the little girl. She looked up at him, eyes full of fear and tears. With out a word Curtis lifted her gently and carried her quickly to her home. He did not have much time. The guards would soon be back for him. He set the child on her feet outside her home, little more than a shack, and ran quickly back to his room.
He was met by six men fully armed. Curtis smiled. The king knew Curtis could deal with two or three men with out drawing his sword, but six, fully armed, would be a tall order.
Curtis drew his sword..... and let it fall on the ground. It would be better to submit.
The soldiers stared for a moment at this unexpected act of surrender. Then they stepped forward roughly grabbed Curtis by his arms. One man took hold of his hair and pulled his head down. Another ripped the back of his shirt open and raised a whip......

Curtis was not a proud man. The humiliation stung as much as the lashes but they did not anger him as they would another man. He had been beaten many times as a child. He did not long for revenge only freedom. His father had died for revenge and Curtis had no intention of following him in that.

Curtis lay half conscious on the ground where they left him. Hardening his will he raised himself to his feet, wincing with pain. He stumbled to his small chamber and collapsed on his bed. After a moment of rest he got up and pulled a fresh shirt on. He packed a few belongings in a sack which he painfully slung on his back and put his cloak on over all. No one would expect to see him for at least a day after that beating so now was a perfect chance. He could slip out unnoticed.
"Now, if only I could manage to stand for more than a few minuets." He said aloud as he swayed and sat again on his bed. After a few beep breaths and a moment of stillness with his eyes closed, Curtis got to his feet once more and left his room for the last time.

The night was dark and rain was coming down hard. Curtis ducked in and out of shadows. Fighting with weariness and pain, Curtis approached one of the gates. This would be the real challenge. Curtis pulled the hood of his green cloak far over his face and walked up to the man on watch.
"A pity they make ya work so hard out here aint it." Curtis said slipping into the dialect of his peasant upbringing to disguise his voice.
Then man was taken in completely. "I bin out here fer hours and nothin to see or do. I'd do anything fer a mug'o ale.
"Why don't ya go and get yerself some. I'll stay and watch fer you fer a while." Curtis put his hand on the mans shoulder and watched a gleam of mischief grow in the mans eye.
"Thanks pal." he said slowly "I'll be back before you know it. You just stand and watch until I come back." With that he left and headed to the drinking hall chuckling to himself, thinking that he had outsmarted a simpleton and got out of standing watch.
Curtis knew he would not come back, he slipped out of the gate and closed it behind him.
Then he ran. He was out. He breathed deeply the free rain washed are. It had been so long since he had breathed fresh country air. Looking back the town and castle were growing smaller. He let his hood fall, threw his head back and laughed. It felt so good to be a poor wanderer again. He kept running until he collapsed under a tree. There, under it's shelter, on the damp leaves, Curtis finally let weariness over come him.
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2004 10:01
((Yay! Thanks Karendil, and DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve ))

Nenion sighed. He hoped Finn had got away safely. Although he would have told her that it was a bad idea running away, he knew that he would have only said that so that she would stay a while longer. He missed Finn, for they had known each other for a long time, and they had grown very close, as if they were a brother and sister. But that was when they were younger, when they played together in the empty field of grass somewhere behind the castle. Now it had changed.
Nenion cared for Finn but tried to lead a life away from her at the same time. Finn only thought of it as him being cold, but Nenion thought would be for the better, for both of them, and secretly he knew that it would be easier for him when she left. She had always talked and dreamed of escaping. "One day, Nenion, I'm going to leave this place, and go and live in some village far away" She had said. And that was her at the age of 9. As a result, they had been rather shifty around each other as they grew older, and Finn had felt loneliness again feeling that she had lost her friend.
Sighing again, Nenion looked out onto the grounds. He saw a man lying, he apperred..hurt. Nenion stared at him blankly, a figure as small as a bird, from where Nenion stood, but very determined. For he slowly rose back onto his feet again, and stumbled off into the distance.

Somehow, Nenion thought that the man wouldn't be staying long afterwards. It was merely a thought or a feeling at the back of his mind.
Until he heard about an escaped knight later on...
"And you, are the crazy girl who spoke of escape in the Palace this morning. Or do I mistake you for someone else?" Said the man before her who introduced himself as Durant. Finn frowned and was about to say something in return, when he took his blanket off and wrapped it gently around Finn's slightly trembling shoulders. She stood surprised for a second, before a rosy colour lit her cheeks and she half mumbled her thanks. Then unsure if he had heard, she looked up and gave him a weak smile. Finn was unused to kindness, especially from strangers, so that, she supposed, was why she was being awkward and shy.
"I had to escape," Finn whispered later on. "I've always wanted to get away.. Ever since I went there..." She noticed that her vision seemed blurred once more, and wondered whether it was because of the rain, of something else. She looked down at the young figure of the girl, Mette, now with a peaceful blankness to her expression, and noticed that she was gazing back at her. Finn managed to move her lips and hoped to form something like a smile, but the sadness inside her was still there, the rain did nothing to brighten the mood either.
They were quiet for a minute or so, before Finn asked, "Where do you plan to go, Durant?". For she was lost already, and would have willingly accepted company, or to atleast follow Durant and Mette for a while until they came to a town or village-anywhere, as long as it was away from here...
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2004 01:02
((Yay, I was hoping someone else was going to join! Oh, and I love the way you used the girl from my post Karendil!)

Where did he plan to go? Durant questioned himself. He didn't know. He hadn't thought of that. He hadn't wanted to think of that. But he didn't want to admit that he had know idea where he was, or where he was going. Slowly, he began to speak, without knowing what he was going to say.

"I had a brother, Oren," he sighed heavily, "when he was 6, I was only 9 then, he....He....He went away. He was sold rather. As a slave. By the King. No one's seen him since, but I know he wasn't sold far away, a neighboring kingdom I think...And, well, I'd hoped to find him..." Durant looked at the ground. What am I going on about?!? he thought, say something sensible for once! "I know it's stupid," he said quickly, "but, well...I didn't know..."

Then an unusual shape caught Durant's eye. He left Mette's side and walked off without a word. Only a few strides away, he stopped. Below him was a man, slouched over against the tree trunk and patially covered with wet leaves. Slowly, he rolled the figure over. As Durant brushed away the leaves, he was startled to find the clothing of a knight below them. This man was not a fugitive, he was a liege to the King.

Quickly, he motioned to Finn. Together they gazed at the man, decided whether he was friend or foe, and if there would be more following him.
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2004 09:02
(( :disco: Karendil is in a very good mood today :disco: ))

Curtis woke to the pain of the wounds on his back. He groaned softly. Some one was turning him over and brushing wet leaves off him. For a moment fear ceased him; he had been caught already! He did not run far enough and now they would bring him right back to the castle. He looked up at the people standing over him. Squinting through the rain, fearing the worst, he saw a young man and woman..... and...... a child! Curtis relaxed. Slowly, he stood, bracing himself against the tree. The strangers looked at him cautiously. Had he seen them some where before? What could they fear from a tired looking man like himself?...... He had seen them before! They were servants in the castle! Newly escaped, like himself.
A smile twinkled in his eye. "Greetings, fellow jail birds." He said and his stern face broke into a wide grin. Forgetting his back, he tried to straighten himself and stand with out the help of the tree. The grin turned quickly to a grimace and blood showed at his lip as he bit down on it.
"I guess I was not clever enough to get out with out a bit of blood shed" The strangers seemed to relax some. Curtis searched his mind for their names. Some many people in the castle were always called just "Servant," "boy," or "girl" When he first came he had made a point of knowing names and using them, but there were so many. Finally he admitted defeat.
"i am Curtis." He said. "I am afraid I don't know your names."
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2004 11:07
((Really, DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve? Yay! And good for you, Karendil! ))
Jail Birds
Finn laughed out quietly at that. She smiled at the thought, and was relieved at the same time to find that he was not a guard of the palace. She held out her hand, offering help towards the man lying on the ground. "I am Finette, also usually known as Finn, I was a servant at the palace" her smile was grim as she said so.
"You were...a guard..or knight?" She looked at him closer, she could swear she had seen him someplace before.. The man took her hand and slowly rose to his feet, then paused briefly before he spoke again.
"I was a knight.." Finn heard the bitterness in his voice, and nodded. The silence which followed was hard to break, and when it became too much, Finn put on a false cheerly voice "We should return to Mette, and then lets carry on with further conversation, or something.." Then hurried off to find the girl.
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2004 12:35
((Hehe, I'm in a good mood now too! Oh yea, and sorry that my previous post is so scattered and confusing...I must've been half asleep when I wrote it, actually I think I was. Anyways, you seemed to make sense out of it. And btw, you can call me Di, if it's easier!)

Durant watched catiously as the man slowly awakened. The knight looked as nervous as he and Finn were. Then, finally, the man's face broke into a smile, he said "Greetings, fellow jail birds." Durant had not thought of himself as a jailbird, and hearing the term brought an unpleasant realization. He was a fugitive, a runaway. If he was caught it would mean certain death! What have I done? thought Durant, I've only made this worse, if we're caught, it'll be the end. How can four people make it?

The rest of the company- Finn and this new fugitive- seemed jovial, so Durant forced a smile. The man cheerfully introduced himself as Curtis, a former knight. Then Finn spoke her own name. Durant quickly realized that Curtis was looking expectantly at him. "Oh, I'm sorry...I'm called Durant. I was a servant as well," he recalled bitterly.

"We should return to Mette..." Finn said. Durant almost gasped aloud. His sister was always quiet, and liked to go unnoticed, but how could he have left her. Luckily, he found Mette, still wrapped in her blanket, shivering beneath a tree no more than 20 paces away. He crouched down to eye level, and looked at Mette, drawing her into a warm hug.

"I'm scared," the little girl whispered in his ear.

"It's alright, these are our friends," Durant reassured her, "we will travel together, and we'll be safe from the King forever." The exchange had been brief, but it had comforted Mette some. Durant stood up, and took his sister by the hand. He addressed Curtis, "This is my sister, Mette." By some unspoken concensus, the group began to walk, without any direction. "So, Curtis, where do you plan to travel?" Durant asked, in what he hoped was a friendly tone.

[Edited on 26/5/2004 by DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve]
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 06:51
((This will have to be short because I have to go to school. By the way, are we in Middle Earth or can I start randomly making up places? ))

"I am afraid I was not looking much further than getting out." Curtis said sheepishly. "I grew up in the far north part of the kingdom and I had wanted to go back there. But now, given the circumstances of my escape, I suppose I will need to get out of the kingdom all together. His Majesty in not likely to let me just disappear." He looked at his new companions. "Do either of you know much about the land out side the borders?"
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 07:42
((Heya, thanks Di, thats a lot easier . And Karendil, we're in a place like middle earth...but it's not. So feel free to make up random places and place names . And I'm afraid i'll be away for the next 4 days , but I'll post as soon as i get back, so feel free(again ) to carry the story on and control my char if neseccery thanks))

Finn shook her head. "I have been in captivity for as long as i can remember, and am afraid i did not have a chance to study about the land beyond the palace walls" She finished sadly. Nenion would know.. whispered a voice inside her mind. She cleared that sentence out of her head. Bitterly thinking that even when away from the palace, she still thought and relied on Nenion...
Finn looked down at Mette, for she stood facing down, and trembling ever so slightly. Finette, remembering the blanket she had borrowed from Durant, took it off and placed it, this time, around Mette's frail shoulders. The girl's head quirked up, surprised, and then looked down again perhaps shy, or unsure of what to say. Finn smiled, and straightened herself again, facing Durant and Curtis again.

[Edited on 27/5/2004 by Star_of_Earendil]
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 10:57
((Ok, well I might not be around a lot this weekend either, but we'll see))

Mette stood shivering in the cold rain, looking at the strange faces above her. She didn't know where they were going, or why, but she knew it was dangerous, whatever they were doing. Servants were not allowed outside the city walls and they were far beyond city limits, this much she knew. But still, she knew not whether to trust these new people. Durant seemed friendly with them, especially the woman, so Mette assumed they were not enemies. But she was still wary. Suddenly, Mette felt a touch on her shoulders and the weight of wet wool. She looked up, surprised and saw Finn, the new companion. The young woman was smiling, and Mette tried to copy her expression, but her lips would not curve; she had never smiled before. Quickly, Mette returned her eyes to the ground.
"Nor do I," said Durant, forlornly, "I too have always lived in the kingdom. I know not where my parents lived before." The company looked about, scanning each others faces, hoping to find some trace of knowledge. "An odd bunch we are," Durant observed, "and a hopeless one." A rogue knight, a servant girl, a stable boy and a child who know nothing of the land around them have little chance of making it out of the Kingdom undetected, he thought grimly. "But yet, we've all made it this far, so there must be some luck among us...But now, it's still raining, we should find shelter. Then we can make a plan."
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 06:40
(( I am in a show that opens tonight so I may not be around much either.))

They found a fairly hidden hollow in a hill that provided some shelter from the driving rain. They dared not make a fire, nor could they with the damp wood, so they ate a little of what they had brought in haste from the castle. It was a quiet and somber meal. Curtis ate little of the bread he had brought. He started into the rain and straind to hear any sounds of pursute. The beat of the heavy rain on the ground made fantom hoof beats to tease the fugitives minds.
Curtis shook his head and turned to the others. "The nearest border is south east of us, about three day march and across a river. I think." He paused. His mind ached, but he forced it remember any facts about the naighboughring kingdom. "I think it is a fairly poor country, towns are few and far between...... Getting across the river would be the greatest challenge, it is fast and flooded this time of year." He leaned back with a sigh and closed his eyes for a moment. Then he searched the others faces. "What say you? Shall we try it?"
LadyValaina
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2004 05:24
(((Sorry, I'm so late! 'ere goes nothin'!)))

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dwyn cringed with each crack of the whip. Two beatings in one day. It figured. The one thing she hated most about her captivity was beatings and today a day when she was especielly rebellious, and headstrong, there were two beatings. Each blow fell like so many stones in Dwyn's chest. She had been made a slave only 4 years ago at the age of 17, and never once had she let the though of escape leave her mind.

She turned swiftly away, her long ebony hair following her like a cape. She had to do somthing!

Escape, escape, escape! The words pounded relentlessly in her mind as she went about her daily work, mainly taking care of the children and keeping them out of trouble. It had broken her heart to see the child whipped earlier that day and now, the king was beating one of his own knights!
The best one... She thought bitterly, thinking of times when he had shown gentleness, and kindness to the poor children, void of hope of anything better in their lives then working for a brutal king.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dwyn couldn't believe she was doing this. After these yaers of contemplating, and scheming she was actually going to escape. She set her jaw firmly in place. She wouldn't waste time thinking about it she would just go. She grabbed the sack she had prepared that day and slipped stealthy into the night.

In the forest Dwyn knew that none would fine her tonight. The rain poured down soaking her hair and cloathing blocking her sight, but Dwyn knew that the harder it rained that night the harder it would be for the hounds in the morning when her abcence was discovered.

But, she also knew she had to find some sort of shelter or "catch her death" in the cold.

She knew there were many hollows around, maybe she could find one. There was a crash of lightening and a roar of thunder. She heard a crack, and looked up just in time to see a huge tree just in front of her creak and sway.

She dived out out of the spot she knew it would fall, into a bramble then stood up quickly. She never heard the crash of the collision between the tree and ground. She never knew what happened as the tree began to fall her way and one of it's many long branches hit her head knocking her unconcious to the ground...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

(Sorry, couldn't come up with anything better..)

[Edited on 29/5/2004 by LadyValaina]
Acheron
Realm of Tulkas Leader
Send Message
on: May 29, 2004 08:49
(Tis my hope no one will mind that i join. If you do please feel free to delete.)

A tall man in a dark cloak sat near campfire placed near one of the many caves in this small secion of land, he ran his hand through his fiery hair and sighed. The duke of this part of the kingdom was claiming he was the true king and brutally abusing his servants, Elathi had been sent to releive the duke of his dutys if he could find enough proof. He was a good friend of the true king and had been assigned almost emidiatly he had been turned away from the gates of the city, if you could call it that, several times. He thought he might be able to make contact with some of the servants but they were never allowed to leave the castle. The soldiers were mostly loyal and he was getting desperate, he had heard several times cries of pain and the sounds of a whip from within the gates. His armor was beginning to chafe his arms and legs when it started to rain, he disliked the rain it always made him feel so depressed. He felt a gust of cold air and his breaths became clouded, " this is going to be another great night..." he muttered to himself.

He looked out into the rain and pulled his cloak more tightly around his pale skin, as he skimmed the forest with his eyes he noticed several figures sitting and standing beneath a tree. He heard his horse nicker and patted its neck, a little ball of blue spikey fur stirred on the animals back and yawned widely. The horse didn't mind the ferrets presence, as a matter of fact the two animals had seemed to bond over the duration of the trip. Tulkas had blessed Elathi with the presence of his favored theif and he was glad to have him. Faderas the magical ferret being looked at him with his beady silver eyes and hopped off the horses back landing more gracfully than a cat. Elathi pointed at the figures under the tree, " go discern their purpose, if they are peaceful bring them if not lead them away," he said and Faderas nodded slinking off through the rain towards the people.

Faderas listened to the people for some time hearing plans of escape and of finding lost family, the sneaky little creature slinked right next to one of the girls. Finn he had heard one of the others call her, as he moved next to her his furry tail brushed her leg and the ferret huffed a sigh. Everyone was suddenly looking at him and his strange tone of fur, "hi..." he said in a squeaky wheezy voice.
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2004 05:37
(( Hi there! Glad to have you with us, Acheron and LadyValaina.))

A flash of lightning, a resounding crack and the crash of a mighty tree toppling over interrupted the conversation in the hollow. Curtis stood and looked out. the tree had narrowly missed their hiding place, it lay only a few yards away. Curtis thought he saw the form of a person under one of the branches but it was hard to tell in the dim light.
Another stab of lightning made the shadows flee for just an instant. Shapes stood out suddenly in the white light and disappeared again in the blink of an eye. Curtis was sure of it this time: there was some one out there.

ferret huffed a sigh. Everyone was suddenly looking at him and his strange tone of fur, "hi..." he said in a squeaky wheezy voice.

Curtis whirled around and stared with the rest. He had heard of people that could talk to animals but never of a creature that could speak the tongue of men.

'What sort of trick is this?" he said softly, not to be taken in.
LadyValaina
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2004 04:20

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dwyn couldn't see. She could feel rain pattering relentlessly on her face, stinging it like knives. Her head hurt, like it was on fire, she tried to open her eyes, but shut them again in pain. She knew she was trapped under several large branches, pinning her legs beneath their claw-like grip.

She thought she could her a voice, or was it just a trick of the wind? She had untill now been trying despretly to free herself but now she froze. She could not be found!

She wished she could recover her temperarelly lost eye-sight, but knew it would do no good, the only source of light, shown only briefly in feble but angry flashes of lighting. She would have to wait. It was easier said then done.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2004 12:44
(( Heya, and thanks for joining LadyValaina and Acheron . Just to say I'm back now ( ), so i'll have to do a lot of reading to catch up with the story, but apart from that, (from what i have read so far) It looks great! I can't type much more tonight (but i promise to do so tomorrow!) :hug: to everyone, and welcome to Acheron! ( yes, i'm sure you can tell i like those :hug: smileys ) ))
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 09:28
Finn looked at Curtis in time to see his eyes searching far away where lightning seemed to have struck a tall tree. She too gazed at the second flash. She could have sworn that there was someone there. Curtis caught her looking at him, and nodded briefly understanding Finn`s wondering expression. Then careful not to make a sound, they started creeping near where the tree had fallen, Curtis in the lead and the other member`s watching the two curiously. The next second Finn felt something brush near her ankle. A shiver went up her spine as the creature took her by surprise. Then bent down to look at it, slowly so she didn`t scare it away.
There sat a small ferret, eyes wide, as if trying to judge them all. "hi..." came a voice. Finn wondered who had said it, then realised it was the creature below her. She gave another confused look to the members standing around her, then a searching look at the ferret, before running off towards the tree.

A figure lay, held down by the heavy branches. Finn went on tiptoes. It was a natural reaction, she was afraid, therefore she didn`t make any noise, this was one of the few things that benefited from being under short tempered higher servants.
It turned out to be a woman. Finette could make out that the lady`s fair face was scratched and bruised, the rest of her body was under a mass of leaves and bark. "Hang on there," started Finn "I`ll help you" The words were supposed to come out louder, but it was bearly a whisper. Finn didn`t have the courage to try again, so instead attempted to get the person out. She tried the main trunk of the tree, only to find that she was too weak and it might do the woman more harm than good. Then the branches came into view, and seeing an arm hanging limply out, Finn desperately cleared the branches, pushing them out of the way and snapping those few that could be broken. Finn was half way there by the time the others came.

She didn`t even realise anyone coming up behind her, and nor did she realise the tears running down her cheeks.

"Hang on there..."

[Edited on 2/6/2004 by Star_of_Earendil]
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 11:11
((Wow, I've missed a bit...Ok, well welcome Acheron and LadyValaina...Ok, try and catch myself up here...))

Durant stared incredulously back at the ferret that stood below him. It had just spoken, he was sure of it! It was just like in the stories his parents had told him of their homeland. For a moment, he simple gaped at the rodent, unable to form words, but finally he recovered his tongue and replied to the ferret. "Hello?" he said tentatively, unsure of what the proper reply would be.
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2004 03:55
Curtis rushed to help Finn and the stranger under the fallen tree. The branches were pinning the figure down pretty well and there would be no braking some of them with out harming the prisoner. One branch lay across the woman's shoulder, neck and arm. If it could be lifted or moved some how the person might be able to crawl away. But, if she was unconscious, or badly hurt, some one would have to pull her out and that would be harder and more dangerous. The woman showed no sign of consciousness.
"Durant, come help me lift this." Curtis called. "Finn, calm down." He put his hand on her shoulder, "Durant and I will try to lift up that branch long enough for you to pull her out." Finn nodded. The rain made it all but impossible to see and the ground had long since turned to mud. Curtis shoved his wet hair back, out of his eyes and tried to get a good hold on the slippery branch. He felt, rather than saw, Durant beside him.

((I am too tired to write any more I will be back tomorrow morning))
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2004 05:55
"Ready?" Curtis called, lightning lit the scene for an instant; the two men strained to pull the branch up, their clothes soaked and mud splattered up to their knees as they struggled for good footing. With some help from Finn the branch began to creak slowly up. "Now, Finn, go!" Curtis shouted above the thunder. Finn scrambled under the branch, braking smaller ones as she went to clear the way back. The woman stirred a bit as the weight was taken off her. "Hurry, Finn!" said Curtis. His hands were beginning to slip.

((sorry if I used any ones character too much.))
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2004 07:35
(( I don`t mind because i seem to be doing more or less the same thing ))

Finn had to bend down quite a bit to get into the space. She recognised that the branches would get in her way, and focused on the position of the woman before speeding blindly to that area. Her eyes were kept partly closed due to fear of the branches scratching at them, but when she got near enough, Finn grabbed the woman and tried to drag her along. She had not yet moved when she heard Curtis shouting- "Hurry, Finn!"
Tears welled up again, "I can`t.. We won`t get out in time." She said back, hoping it was loud enough for Curtis to hear, and pulling at the woman at the same time.
"You have to try, if that doesn`t work, then you`ve got to try harder!"
"Go on Finn, you`ve come for freedom, not for death" Said another voice- Durant. Apart from it sounded remarkably like someone else...
It was said quieter, but the words woke Finn up. She couldn`t give up. She had escaped, and had a dream about being Free. And that dream wouldn`t finish here. She couldn`t let the unconscience woman die either. With new found strength, and hope for the future, Finn tugged harder and fell backwards, landing, surprisingly, away from the fallen tree.
Gasping to catch up on air, Finn shuffled towards the woman, and checked her breathing before slumping down to a heap in relief, watching Durant and Curtis wading through the thick mud towards them.

[Edited on 3/6/2004 by Star_of_Earendil]
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2004 12:03
((Nope, not a problem Karendil...It's hard to have an interesting story if people don't interact.))

Hearing the urgency in Curtis's voice, Durant tore himself away from the ferret that had so mesmerised him. Quickly, he bent down to Mette, who was also staring awestruck and the tiny animal. "Stay here, he instructed, I must go help Curtis, but I wont be far. Don't wander off, I'll be back in a moment." Almost instinctually, he ruffled her sandy hair, and jogged off towards the sound of voices.

Together, he and Curtis heaved at the branches that trapped a woman beneath them, while Finn struggled to pull her out. After what seemed like an eternity of straining, Finn tugged the woman out of the branches and nearly collapsed beside her. At once, he and Curtis dropped the large limb, gasping with relief. The branch creaked and fell back into the muck, splattering it all about. Durant wiped his brow with a corner of his tunic, clearing the sweat, rainwater and mud out of his eyes before starting off to where Finn was bent over the unconcious woman.

"How is she?" he asked Finn, between heavy breaths.
"She's breathing," Finn replied, equally tired, "but she doesn't look too good..."
Durant looked at the still woman below them. Finn was right, she didn't look good, but at least she was alive. Gently, he felt her neck. There was a steady, even pulse, though slightly weak. "I don't think there is much we can do for now...Besides keep her warm and watered." He turned to Curtis, hoping the knight might have some medical knowledge, for Durant was only used to dealing with small injuries and illnesses. "What think you, Curtis?"
LadyValaina
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2004 04:21

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dwyn tried in vain to regain some sense of conciousness, but she couldn't. She felt she was wandering, floating in an unreal world between waking and sleeping. She knew there were voices. All about, surrounding her, sounding like distant echoes, too far away to help her.

She heard the crack of branches the yelling of encourgement, and the pull of a strong arm on her shoulder only faintly. Was this death? She could slowly feel the talon like grip of the branches let go of her shoulder, her arm, then her chest.

She groaned in a desperate attempt to stay in reality, a surge of pain washing over her.

She felt a warm hand on her neck, "I don't think there is much we can do for now... Besides keep her warm and watered." Said a male vioce, "What think you Curtis?"

She set her jaw. she was going to wake up, and she was going to wake up now! Ignoring the pain that went through her she forced her eyes open, only to quickly shut them again.

This was a nightmare...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

(((Can't think up anymore...)))
Acheron
Realm of Tulkas Leader
Send Message
on: June 03, 2004 04:48
Faderas, for that was the little creatures name, slinked over to the female the others had dragged up. He sniffed her and looked around with beady eyes, " we should get to some shelter," he wheezed his blue fur ruffling. A moment later he had grown to the size of a horse and his paws became enshrouded in a bluish mist. "Put her on my back," he said, " my friend,Elathi, is near," the people obeyed reluctantly as the now very large ferret slinked towards a cliff face not far away. In the cave the hunter stood running to take the girl from Faderas' back, "the others are coming Elathi, the mud slowed them down," the ferret murmered shrinking back to his normal size. The transformation took much from the little muskalid, he smiled and placed him on his horses back and began tending the girls wounds.
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2004 11:39
Finn`s eyes grew wide as she saw the larger ferret. She had never seen a live ferret till then, and nor had she ever seen a blue one. But this was a different matter, she would never have expected it to grow in size. Finette watched dazedly leaving the rest to place the person on the back of the unusual creature, then for it to sprint off far away. Her mind being blank, she didn`t even notice that they were to follow it, and was still sitting as Durant came to her. "Come on Finn, we should find the ferret and his friend quickly before the trail in the mud disappers, and we get lost" With that he offered a hand to help Finn up. Slowly, Finn rose from the thick mud and both quicked their pace to catch up with the awaiting others.
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 07:48
((gee, you guys, I was gone for two days and nothing has happened! Don't let it DIE!!!))

Curtis was unsure of this new wonder. The ferret seemed very eager to help but gave them no reason why they should trust him so easily. The companions had some difficulty following the creature because they turned aside briefly to get Mette and the dark and rain made the trail hard to find. Finally they found their way to the cave where they met a hunter kneeling beside the woman they had rescued from beneath the fallen tree. The ferret was no where to be seen. The figure stood and faced them as they approached. Curtis was hesitant to trust the stranger. His hand strayed instinctively to where his weapon should be but remembered painfully that his sword had been taken from him before he was beaten. All he had now were his fists and a small dagger. He stepped forward putting himself between the hunter and his companions, just in case.

((um.... can't think of anything more.))
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 09:02
(( No, i don`t want it to die either, come on everyone thats here! ))

Finn glanced at the stranger, and realised later on that she was hiding behind Curtis. Truth be said, she was afraid of any strangers now, anyone could be a guard sent by the king out to look for them all, and how did she know who to trust, and who to not? She looked back at the others standing around, Durant-a strong build young man, then Mette who appered so small and fragile standing next to her brother, and Curtis who had stood before them in a defensive position. All of them looked either troubled or worried, Finn couldn`t blame them, she was scared inside, she now guiltily wished for the safety of the castle that she was so used to..

Slowly she stepped nearer the man, the stranger with the ferret, "Who may you be? And why bring us here?"
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 11:42
((No, I don't want it to die either ...I was waiting for you to post though, Karendil))

Durant gasped in awe as the strange ferret he'd seen earlier grew in size before his very eyes. The creature- for he wasn't sure what it was now- spoke again. Durant could do nothing but stare open-mouthed while Curtis lay the unconcious girl across its back. Immediately, it set off at a brisk pace. Trying to gather his wits, Durant veered aside to find Mette. He found the small girl standing just where he had left her. The girl didn't say a word, but Durant sensed her fear and scooped her small frame into his arms. Mette's arms clung to his shoulders and she buried her face into his neck as he set off at a brisk job to catch up with the others.

Yes, the others, he thought, the others and that thing. That creature was indeed very strange. Durant's intial awe was now replaced by a genuine curiosity and a thin layer of skepticism. He had long ago learned not to trust strangers or magical creatures (for this animal must surely be magic...He'd heard the terrible stories of what magic could do), but he had never stopped wanting to learn.

Reminding himself of the task at hand- keeping up with the ferret and comforting Mette- Durant drove his curiosities out of his mind. The animal was now out of sight, but the rest of his company seemed to know where they were going. So he followed them into a small cave where he found the ferret- for it was once again a ferret- near a large horse and a strange man tending to the unconcious woman. Durant lightly set Mette on the ground, where the small girl stood behind him peering out from behind his leg. Curtis, he noticed stood in front, protectively. Durant hated to feel like a coward, but he was secretly glad the knight was with them. He was too weary to do much more than keep Mette safe. After several awkward moments, Finn finally stepped forward and addressed the stranger. They all waited tensely for the response.

((Ok, sorry, pretty much all I did was summarize what y'all said, but I don't can't think of much else to do 'till Acheron posts...))
Acheron
Realm of Tulkas Leader
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 04:13
Elathi looked up from his patient to find the others before him, the oldest of the group stepped between the hunter and the younger people. He held himself like a man trained with the blade, so Elathi assumed he was a guard or one of the duke's "Knights". He noticed a young lady step forward brushing her hair from her eyes, "Who may you be? And why bring us here?" she asked. The hunter smiled and as a sign of good faith removed his sword belt, " I am Elathi trusted hunter and friend of the king," he said then paused as they tensed, "the real king that is." The group eased slightly but the man in front kept moving his hand closer to his boot, " keep your hand away from that dagger friend, I mean you no harm but i will defend myself..." he glared coldly. They sat in a silent battle till the cough of a young girl interupted, " come get the little one by the fire, i have rabbit stew cooking in that pot... help yourselves," he added a friendly smile returned to his face. "You still haven't awnsered why stranger," the warrior said holding the others back, " because you were cold and in the rain, because you can help prove the duke is insane, because i had a daughter of her age that died of ilness and feel sympathy, shall i continue?" the fatigued hunter asked leaning back on the cave wall.
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2004 06:26
((Yea! It Lives!! :disco: ))

Curtis let the others pass him and sit by Elathis fire. His mind was not entirely at ease but he was satisfied that the man meant them no immediate harm. He remained standing but his posture was no longer defensive.
"What do you mean, the real king? Who is this king that you serve?" Curtis asked. As far as he knew he had served the only king for all of his adult life. To hear that the man he served was a fraud would be quite a shock. Though Curtis had no love for his former master, he would not be so easily convinced that the "king" had no claim on his loyalty.

((Sorry it's short, my sister is graduating and I have to get ready to go.))
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2004 09:54
(( lol- :disco: ))

Despite the warmth the fire, Finn was feeling uncomfortable inside. She still couldn`t decide whether to trust the man, Elathi. The real king? This too was a lot to take in. Outsiders working under other rulers...What had she been taught?-"Nothing but enemys, don`t meet them, don`t talk to them, But most of all don`t trust them..."
But the king was hardly a good man, was he? Finn said to herself mentally. So who to trust..?
Pushing those thoughts to the side, she went to see the lady they had found. Finette found her now sleeping with a peaceful expression on her face, and saw her carefully tended cuts and bruises, and looked back at Elathi in surprise. His work could have been one of a professional doctor, for the wounds where already well on it`s way to healing. Taking the thin blanket brought from the palace, Finn quickly placed it over the woman before joining the group near the fire again. Stopping on the spot watching the hunter carefully, Finn noticed his movements were slow and each second proved the strain of tiredness taking effect. Finn herself was no expert in medical matters, but she knew enough to know that the man himself needed rest urgently.
Finn went to the patch of grass between where the two men sat, intruding upon the conversation just in time to hear Curtis as he questioned Elathi- "Who is this king that you serve?"
Here curiosity won over concern, and Finn who was about to introduce herself, closed her mouth to wait for the response

[Edited on 9/6/2004 by Star_of_Earendil]
Acheron
Realm of Tulkas Leader
Send Message
on: June 08, 2004 03:43
" I serve lord Andriel Hadreth, true king of this land, for three decades your duke has charaded as king and abused his servants," Elathi responded tossing some sticks he had collected earlier on the fire. "Once the rain stops I want to take you back to the castle, such a large group will be easily spotted so we must use stealth and only resort to violence if in dire need." he continued pulling his cloak to to ward of the chill. "The king knows more and will be able to explain it to you there, i am just a humble hunter," he said handing the soldier a piece of jerky, " I do what i can to earn a living and the king pays well."

(Post short....cant think of anything else)
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email