Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Price of Freedom
on: August 09, 2004 08:11
"I have used traps before, although I am better with a bow." Curtis smiled ruefully, feeling rather useless with out a weapon. "We have to find something quick if we want to keep going soon." They started out into the wood, stealthily weaving through the underbrush. Between the two of them, Curtis and Durant remembered enough to set a few simple traps, though nothing elaborate. Curtis was much more cheerful out in the open, he had always enjoyed hunting. They sat very quiet in the underbrush waiting, down wind from their traps so the animals would not smell them, for some creature to fall for the bait.

((brain dead. Sorry))
Acheron
Realm of Tulkas Leader
Send Message
on: August 10, 2004 12:43
Elathi let Curtis and Durant go about setting theit traps and headed over to his horse, "Faderas? Where are you you weasal?" he called. The blue furred creature stuck its head out of a bush and gave the hunter a toothy grin, "what do you need boss?" he said in his raspy voice. "I want you to guard Lady Lilith while she is searching for herbs... and no pranks this time," he said shooing the ferret off with his hands. The weasal grumbled and slinked off as the hunter grabbed his bow and a spare crossbow he had in his saddle bag, "bolts... where did i put those damned things..." he muttered searching through his bag. "Aha!" he said pulling out a full quiver of crossbow bolts, he arrived back at the place where his two companions were setting traps to find them sitting. "Curtis think fast," he said tossing the crossbow to him, the man turned to slow and caught the crossbow in the face falling over backwards. "Sorry!" he said cringing as the man stood rubbing his face, Durant sat laughing hysterically.
SmallestPerson
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2004 01:26
Lilith struggled through the thick growth of the forest. It had been steadily growing darker and she was still trying to find her way back to the cave. Coming to a sort of clearing, she sat down with a moan on a small boulder and began frantically running her fingers through her hair. "How could I have managed to get lost!?" she half cried to herself. "This is terrible, Lilith! You try to help and you become more of a bother!" As she sat, pondering her situation, she heard someone clear their throat behind her. She turned and saw before her a blue, furry, rodent-like creature. Lilith let out a half gasp-half scream and staggered back towards the trees. In her shock, she thought she heard the creature mention something about being sent by Master Elathi. Lilith stopped backing up and stared quizzically at the blue thing. She realized that it was not trying to hurt her. "Can you take me back to the cave?" she asked unsurely. The thing nodded and began leading her through the woods. Lilith followed, wondering why strange creatures seemed to be attracted to her.
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2004 03:01
Finn felt helpless. She knew she should be outside with the others, just so she could help. But at the same time she knew that she would get in the way. She knew nothing about hunting or plants for a start. She noticed Mette looking outside, and searched for something to say. "Are you cold?" the girl shook her head. Finn tried again "They`ll be back soon, don`t worry". Mette looked up, frowning slightly.
"I`ll take a quick peek outside.." Finn said in hope of lifting the mood a bit, standing up she headed towards the opening of the cave.

((sorry, I can`t think of anything else to write))
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2004 08:14
Curtis grinned sheepishly, a bit embarrassed, from where he sat on the ground after his fall. He muttered some word of thanks as he climbed to his feet. He looked the cross bow over and the darts.
Now he was home!
He fit a dart on the bow and took aim at a tree branch some way off and fired. thump the dart hit. Curtis smiled.

((We should to get going I imagine. now that SoE is back we can probably move on to what ever the next adventure is. i used all my creative energy talking philosophy in my realm this morning so I' sorry i don't have much to say.))
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2004 06:47
((Yea...I'll try and wrap up this hunting thing...))

Durant wished he had his spear, for he was always much more at ease with it. Cleverly, he fashioned a makeshift spear by fastening his knife onto a long branch with a bit of vine. There was a sudden movement behind a tree at the edge of his vision, confidently Durant threw the spear at it. The spear soared true and straight...Straight into a tree, while a small squirrel skittered away. With a dull thud, the branch broke and detatched itself from the dagger, leaving Durant's knife stuck in the tree. Hoping there was no one around to have seen, he fetched his dagger, and contended to watch the traps he'd made while waiting for Curtis, Elathi and Lilith to return.

Finally, they did return, with armfuls of small game. Durant looked dejectedly at the few squirrels and rabbits he had caught. Sighing, he greeted them as cheerfully as he could. "Ho there! It looks like you've been successful."

"Indeed," replied Curtis grinning broadly, "This cross bow must be magical! You'll have to give it a try sometime. Now, can you help us get all this back to the cave."

In response, Durant grabbed several animals to add to his own small pile. "Where is the Lady Lilith?"

"Don't worry, my little friend's got his eye on her," Elathi chuckled. "She'll be alright...We'd better get back though."

Remembering Mette, Durant eagerly followed them back.

((Ok, that's not written well at all...But oh well. And sorry if I used anyones char too much, but I wanted to wrap up this whole hunting thing so SoE can get back in the action.))

[Edited on 13/8/2004 by DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve]
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2004 10:53
(( Thanks you two ))

A figure approached the dead mass of a winged creature. He gingerly placed a hand on the thick leatherly hide- checking the pulse, although he knew that there would be none. A cut produced blood to flow slowly to the ground. The creature`s eyes stared out unseeing into the darkening sky, it`s talons held, paused seconds before biting something. It still looked threatening and very much alive, dispite being slaughtered hours before.
Nenion clicked his tongue in annoyance, and made to leave the scene.

Finn`s mood definately brightened as everyone came back to the cave. Only the absence of Lilith was worrying, but Elathi`s words were of comfort, and all that was left for Finn now was to hope that Elathi`s feret had a sense of direction. She lightly ran towards the three bringing the catch inside and listened attentively to the details of the hunt. "The Crossbow, you say? Who`s is it?" Curtis told her as he placed the load at the edge, near the entrance were it was coldest.

Once they had settled and had a fire going, Finn watched as the hunters cleaned their weapons. She was about to ask something about their weaponary, when she remembered something that had been nagging at her for a bit. "Durant, can I ask you something?" Durant nodded, so Finn continued hesitantly "You had a brother?

[Edited on 18/8/2004 by Star_of_Earendil]
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2004 06:33
((Oh, good it hasn't died...I was worried there for a second. Oh, and I think you accidentally called Curtis Karendil up there, teehee...))

Those few words caused a pained expression to cross Durant's face. Durant breathed deeply before starting. "Yes," he spoke slowly, in a measured voice and soft tone, "I had a brother. Oren. He was two years younger than me. We were...Very close." he paused here, his voice catching in his throat. "Nine years ago...He was sold- as a slave. I-I still remember it clearly...He was sick, and hadn't been able to work in the stable for a few days. He was lying on the floor with a fever, and I was sitting next to him, keeping him company. Then, these guards burst in and went out back with our parents. I heard raised voices and screaming, and then, when they came back in, my mother was crying. They grabbed Oren by the wrist and tried to drag him out. He was to weak to fight back, so I did...I leaped on the guards and kicked and bit and scratched, but they pulled out a whip and threw me off. That was the last of Oren I ever saw." Durant took another deep breath and tried to steady his shaking hands. This was the first time he'd ever told anyone about Oren, and as much as it was painful to remember, he felt relieved. Still speaking softly, he continued, "Later my father told me the king was selling him to some distant land, but they never told me where. Every time I asked, my mother started to cry and my father just shook his head. I guess, I keep hoping that- that maybe some day I'll find him...." Durant bit his lip and looked down. It was a foolish hope. "It's silly, I know...But, well...." he trailed off.

[Edited on 17/8/2004 by DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve]
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 06:38
Curtis listened to the story with down cast eyes. Being a knight, he had not been subject to so much of the brutality of his master. A pang of guilt stubbornly persisted in his chest. He knew that the king sold his servants that he did not find them useful to him but Curtis had always turned a blind eye, there were so many other things to be enraged about. Could he have done anything for people like Durant? It was obviously painful for Durant to tell his story, Curtis saw that he fought back a flood of emotion as he spoke. Curtis admired the young man for being able to tell the tale at all. When Durant had finished there was a silence. Curtis felt that he should say something comforting but could find no words except words of anger and outrage, he knew this would do no good. He sighed and turned away. He gave the cross bow back to Elathi and lay down in a corner to get some sleep.

((SmallestPerson is out of town for the week so I guess I should get her back to the camp so we can move on.))

Lilith found it a bit hard to keep up with the odd little creature that lead her. She was tired and stumbled often. Finally things started to look familiar and soon she was outside the cave. She came in just as Durant began his story. She put away the plants that she had found and sat to listen.

((Well there, now she's back but i have to go.))
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 05:27
(yeah, you`re right Di...I`ll go and change it in a sec. Thanks for telling me ))

The cave echoed with Durant`s words. His voice was quiet, but also powerful. Anger and sadness laced his words. Finn didn`t even realise Lilith`s entrance. She couldn`t find any words of comfort, nor could she think how she felt about Durant`s story. But she thought desperately about the time she was taken, not that she remembered anything new.
Playing in the forest alone, Or was I alone? Then a faint sound like a scream Who was it? A rustling of branches and bushes being pushed aside Why didn`t I hide then? Then the soldiers who found her, and lead her away from the village "Why are we going that way?" Finn thought then, but couldn`t voice it out loud... Being alone all the time, people ignoring her as much as possible "What did I do to deserve this?" Was all that came to mind every night, when the cold crept upon the palace.

Still no words came to Finn`s lips. Then she saw Mette, her frail thin figure, and her lonely eyes..
"Look after her well, Durant.. Please..." Her eyes were cast down now, and she too went to find a spot to sleep.
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 05:44
"Look after her well, Durant.. Please..."

Durant sat in silence for a moment, while Finn left to find a place to sleep. Then, so softly it was barely audible, he whispered, "I will...I always have. She's all that I have left..." Then, he took the small girl by the hand and gathered her into his arms and he too turned away to find a place to sleep.

((Ok, that was short and fairly pointless...Oh well...))
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2004 03:38
((Long week, hardly any time to post. :blush: ok, so I've been watching a little too much of the Olympics. Some body make them get up and get going cause I am too tired to do it now!))
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2004 01:52
The next morning Durant awoke feeling well rested, but still heavy hearted. He washed as best he could in a stream near the cave and then returned to busy himself with the food they had found the last day.

No one else was awake yet, so Durant set to skinning and gutting a rabbit, then cooking it in a pot he found near the wall of the cave. He wished he had some spices or herbs, for Durant was a rather good cook when it came down to it. He abandoned hopes of gathering any herbs when he saw the gentle rain quickly growing fiercer outside. Still, spices or not, by the time the others awoke, Durant had the fire blazing merrily and the rabbits sizzling while the rain fell in sheets outside.

((Ok, that wasn't exactly a work of genius, but whatever, they're up now, they can move on.))
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2004 05:11
((Thank you Di :rolling: ))

Curtis woke from his much needed rest in far better spirits. He lay where he was against the cave wall for a few moments, enjoying the smells of breakfast and listening to the rain outside. He sighed and came to sit by the fire. "Good morning." He shivered a bit as he greeted Durant. He shook his head to rid himself of the sleep that still hung about him. Pulling his knees up to his chest he made a few inquiries about breakfast between yawns. He sat for a while, silently watching the rain fall fast and hard, heavy drops splashing into puddles slowly swelling to pools and overflowing into rivers. "Will we be going out in that today?" He asked, "I suppose we will have to and I do want to get out of this horrid forest as soon as possible. But we are well hidden here and it is very pleasant just to watch."

((no brain power. Sorry)
SmallestPerson
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 24, 2004 06:56
Lilith slowly sat up in the dark. She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes with the back of her hand and brushed her hair back with her fingers. At first she thought she was the only one awake, but then she saw Durant and Curtis sitting by the mouth of the cave. She sat for a while just listening to them talk. Then she heard Curtis ask, "Will we be going out in that today?" Lilith looked out at the heavy drizzle that fell outside their cold shelter. She knew that most of them could make it at least a little ways traveling in the rain, but what of the little girl, Mette, she thought. She moved over to the fire to hear Durant's answer, smiling good morning to both of them.

((You may call me the Queen-of-pointless-posts if you like I'm sorry, I just couldn't think of anything. Brain dead.))
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2004 07:27
((Heh, it's ok Smallest, I've had my share of completely pointless, useless, and utterly crap posts. ))

Durant pondered Curtis's question for a moment. "Hmm...I suppose it would be best for us to try and cover a bit of ground. The king's soldiers likely won't be travelling today, and it would get us further ahead. But all the same, It is rather cozy here. Well, I suppose we'll have to talk to the others when they wake." Durant then noticed Lillith near them, "Ah, good morning, lady. Breakfast is almost ready," he nudged the pot.

"Oh, it looks delicious," Lilith replied, "The fire makes it very cozy in here."

"Yes, it does, I am none to eager to leave this cave today. Well, what do you think, should we stay or move?"

((Yep, that wasn't real productive either))
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2004 06:56
((We`re on the 5th page? :disco: ...forgive me for pointing it out everytime we`re on a new page... . Right, now I have to try and work my brain to think up something to do about my char, who`s still asleep...hm....))

Finn woke to hear voices. She turned her face in the direction of the voices, and felt warmth radiating from a fire that seemed to have been lit. Her eyes still heavy with sleep were kept shut, and shifted herself from a rather uncomfortable position to face the stone wall of the cave. Curling up and hugging her knees close to her face, she absent mindedly reached towards her pouch that lay before her.

It felt heavier in her hands than around her waist. Finn flipped the top open and peered into the small compartments- a couple of coins, dried pieces of what once was some sort of plant, and a small tube that she didn`t recognise at first, but inside something told her that she didn`t want anyone else to see the thing- not yet anyway, and so she brang the pouch and it`s contents closer to herself, as if hiding it. It was a cylindrical container covered in what seemed to be leather, the ends were sealed but seeing that they were different, Finn guessed that one of them was a lid. It bearly reached the full span of her hand and was a lot heavier than what one would have thought. The weight only seemed to increase as she remembered how she came by the thing- from the King`s treasury. Finn was still unsure why she went there in the first place, let alone how she managed to get inside...

Quickly she put the object back where it was and closed her bag. Rubbing her eyes, she pushed herself so she was sitting upright. The flame was still very bright to her eyes so she muttered "Good morning" to the ones that sat by the fire, and started to fold her thin shawl that she had used as a substitute for a blanket. Pulling the string of her pouch over her head and arm, she walked over to join the others.
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2004 05:32
((Teehee, I don't mind, SoE. *Does 5 page dance* :disco: ))

Lilith and Curtis had quickly kindled a conversation, so Durant busied himself with the fire and their breakfast. In the edge of his vision, he caught a stirring among the mounds of blankets that were his sleeping compaions. Durant watched with one eye, while still stirring the pot, while Finn sat up and examined an odd object in her pouch. His eyes narrowed, this was odd. Not wanting Lilith and Curtis to notice, Durant quickly returned to stoking the fire. He had the distinct feeling that Finn would not have wanted the group of them to see this object. Still Durant was curious. Sighing he shook the feeling off, Perhaps I'll ask her about it sometime later, he thought and then turned himself back to his other companions words.

[Edited on 4/9/2004 by DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve]
Acheron
Realm of Tulkas Leader
Send Message
on: August 31, 2004 01:49
Elathi woke much earlier than the others and was out scouting before dawn, when he returned he found several of his wards had awakened and were proceding to eat. "Wake the others and finish your meal quickly me need to leave within the hour," the hunter said going to the fires side and sitting cross legged. Faderas crawled from his outer shirt heading towards Durant who was making the food, the little creature rubbed up against him giving him puppy dog eyes. "Please would you be so kind as to spare some rabbit," the little blue ferret said looking up at the man, "your going to get fat if you don't hunt for yourself," Elathi said from the other side of the fire polishing his sword. The little creature turned from Durant for a split second to stick his tongue out at the hunter, "please sir," he said turnng once more to the cook.
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2004 07:00
((Hey, did Dwyn evaporate or is she going to come back sometime and join back in the fun?))

Lilith laughed at the strange creatures antics. She tossed him a bit of her food and laughed again as he gobbled it up greedily.
Curtis sighed and climbed to his feet. He started to pack away their camp and prepare to start out into the wet.
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2004 03:51
((yea...I was wondering about Dwyn too...I guess we should just kinda play for her enough that she doesn't get left behind until we hear from LadyV...))

"Well, I guess that answers our question," said Durant in a would-be cheerful tone, after Elathi's announcement. "So we will be travelling in the rain..." It was impossible to keep the disappointment entirely out of his voice. Durant smiled at the ferret weakly, for he still was slightly uneasy around the creature, and gave him a few chunks of rabbit, "There you can have that, but we must save the rest for the others." Slowly, Durant rose and, taking the pot with him, walked over to where Mette was still sleeping, woke her and let the girl eat a handful of meat and lick her hands clean while he picked up their few things and told her what Elathi had said, along with some soothing words. He then turned to Dwyn, gently shook her awake, and handed her with the portion of their breakfast that reamained in the pot. "We must leave soon, Lady. It is raining, so the guards will not be travelling today. We must get ahead when we can."
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 04, 2004 03:59
((She said she had loads to do and things when she left, so I guess she might come back later on..although I don`t know. But we might as well keep Dwyn going, just as Di said.))

While watching Dwyn wake, mumbling some reply to what Durant said, Finn wondered if the guards really didn`t travel when it rained. She hoped they wouldn`t, for it was bad enough having to walk in the forest with the ground so muddy..
"Shouldn`t we aim to get out of this forest as soon as possible?" Finn said awkwardly. She knew that was what they were trying to do, but she wanted to get out instantly, she didn`t know why- it was just a bad feeling she had.
Finn looked out into the rain, and then the trees. She had only woken a small while ago, but she felt tired already. The shadows behind the tree trunks seemed to move from time to time, like a figure in the dark. Rubbing her eyes she turned her head away, and gazed into the flames.
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2004 03:57
((Oh no! Please don't die thread!!! Oh yea, I just realized Finn never got any breakfast...Oh well, my mistake, we'll pretend she did...))

"Yes...You're right Finn, we'd do well to get out of this forrest quickly," Durant concurred. "We must leave immediatly." Reluctantly, Durant shouldered his pack and lovingly helped Mette up, still wrapped in a blanket. The rest of the company was ready too, so without further delay, they set off into the dreary, cold rain.
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2004 08:50
((Live I say LIVE!!!))

Curtis was just giving in to feelings of hatred for the forest when he saw the trees were beginning to thin out and let the sun in a bit. Well, actually it let the rain in more but at least you could see the sky a bit more clearly. Curtis took this a a hopeful sign that the forest was coming to an end!

((lets get out of here!))
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2004 04:03
((Yes...We are almost out of the forrest...And we'll be out soon...But not without one last BIG UGLY THING!!! *evil grin*))

The whole company, it seemed, was much more jovial at the prospect of getting out of the forrest. The drizzle had even stopped, though the sky remained slightly overcast. Durant, was still slightly on edge, however.

A rustle to his left caught Durant's attention, and he snapped his head around just in time to see a swishy tail vanish under a large bush. It's just a rodent, he reassured himself. But before Durant had taken another step, the creature had sped out and was standing right in their path. It ressembled an over-large possum with a beak and much larger claws, in some ways and the creature seemed to have puffed itself up and was near waist height. The animal's body was covered in slick murky brown fur, but it's eyes and it's barbed tail were a glowing crimson. A thin, vividly orange membrane had protruded from around the creatures haunches on large spikey barbs; it resembled a stifd, high necked cloak and looked for amphibian, like it belonged on a lizard.

Suddenly, the thing lunged at Dwyn, who had been standing in the front.

((This would be a great time to come back LadyV... ))
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2004 04:40
((Yay! It lives- was getting a bit worried for a sec there ))
Finn spun her head around just in time to see something jump at Dwyn. Not quite knowing what to do she looked around for some sort of weapon. Seeing a dead branch hanging by a length of bark she ran towards it and attempted to take hold of the thing. Something moved in the shadows only about a few yards away from Finn, making her freeze in her tracks.
Behind her she could hear the creature upon Dwyn screeching, and was about to turn around when she saw the movement again, she was certain that it was a person. Her eyes widened again, stuck between curiosity and getting back to help Dwyn and the others. The shadow could have been a guard, and if it was- she would have to warn the others. On the other hand she didn't want to go astray, she could get caught then eventually her friends as well, and a voice inside urgently called to her to get back- one of her friends where in trouble right now, besides who knew how many more of those creatures were near by.

Despite the protesting inner voice, Finn found that curiosity won, and so took a careful step into the bushes.

[Edited on 13/9/2004 by Star_of_Earendil]
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2004 05:21
Curtis, much to his annoyance, visibly jumped when the thing seemingly jumped out of nowhere. But his reflexes shook him to action immediately. The creature had pinned Dwyn down and seemed to be trying to get his teeth onto her spine before Curtis ran up from the rear of the company. As soon as he was near enough to be any help Curtis was hit hard in the side of the head with the animals barbed tail, the thing, evidently, was not so focused on his pray to let down its defenses. Curtis found himself on the ground just beneath the Thing. His hand went to his temple and found the sticky warmth of blood. He looked up in time to see the Thing lifted his head and growled angrily raising a claw off Dwyn to strike another blow at the knight. Curtis only had time to raise an arm over his face before the large, sharp, weapon like limb cam down on him. The claws dug into the flesh of his up raised arm and side. Dwyn was now held down with one less heavy claw. Seeing this Curtis meant to keep it that way. In hopes that Dwyn would be able to struggle out, Curtis grabbed onto the Things claw and held fast.
SmallestPerson
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2004 06:26
As much as Lilith wished she had time to register what had just happened, she realized that she didn't. Staring and blinking as she was, wasn't going to help matters. Recalling how afraid she had been when the previous big-ugly-thing had had her in its grasp she ran for Dwyn, muttering curses at the forest and its weird creatures as she went. Lilith managed to make it to Dwyn's side without being hit. As wary as the Thing was, it had both a struggling Dwyn and a fighting Curtis to keep up with, and it was apparently letting Lilith go...for a while. Tears ran down Dwyn's frantic face, and Lilith could see a little blood on her back where past beating wounds had been reopened by the creature's strong claws. Lilith began pulling the large, heavy paw away from Dwyn, as the lady tried to twist out of its hold. Curtis, seeing Dwyn nearly free, threw himself at the Thing with even more furry, in order to distract it. Lilith wished he wouldn't. He was going to get himself killed. Nevertheless, the diversion worked, and soon the Thing let go of Dwyn so that it could better tear Curtis into pieces. Lilith took Lady Dwyn's hand, and they both raced away from the fight. Not quite quick enough though. The Thing was obviously intent on Dwyn. Shoving its other attackers back, it lunged at the unfortunate lady, and began dragging her back into the woods. Lilith threw a few carefully aimed rocks at its back, but she realized it would not work. Yelling, she charged at the Thing with only the stones in her hands as weapons, followed by the rest.

((The Queen-of-pointless-posts has struck again! I don't know what happens! I get on the RPG, I type madly, and somehow I end up where I started. Hmmm... ))
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 16, 2004 05:28
((You're just holding the action out, SmallestPerson It's a good thing, I was worried for a second there that Durant wasn't going to get in on his own action!))

Durant's immediate reflex was to protect Mette. He spun around and grabbed her arm, placing Mette behind a large rock and the line of their company.

"Be still, Mette, don't move. Stay there until it's over," he instructed, urgency in his voice. The girl nodded and crouched down.

By the time Durant spun back to face the action, the Thing was dragging Dwyn into the forrest. A sudden rush of adrenaline took hold of him and without thinking, Durant grabbed the small knife from his boot and grabbed for a few small stones on the damp dirt. Immediately, Durant was hurtling into the trees after the limping Thing. Curtis was busily avoiding the vicious forked tail while trying to detatch its claws from Dwyn's clothing with a tree limb. Lilith was standing nervously as though deciding what action to take. Hurriedly, Durant shoved the stones at her, they were heavy and fairly sizable. He hoped she had a good aim.

Durant swung his arm blindly and his blade made contact with the Thing's tail. His arm was swept away with the force of an iron club, but not before he had a chance to deeply gouge the crimson appendage. The Thing's eyes burning scarlett with rage, it turned on Durant making a fierce guttural hiss. It was about to lunge, when two stones came hurtling from Lilith's direction directly into the back it's head. The Thing staggered, fell and then righted itself. Curtis rushed forward brandishing his stick like a sword and delivering fierce blows toward the Thing. Weakened and defeated, IT limped away, squealing and dragging IT's tail by a thread.

Leaving Curtis to chase the Thing away, Durant dropped to his knees next to Dwyn. Her eyes were wide open, but she didn't seem to be aware of her surroundings. Durant gently touched her shoulder. There was no reaction. She seemed to have gone into a state of shock. With Lilith's help, Durant carried Dwyn back to the "path" where he had left Mette. It was only then that he noticed Finn was not with them...

((*Cue Twillight Zone Theme Song* Just kidding...))
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2004 06:10
Curtis returned from chasing the Thing away and found his companions looking about anxiously for Fin. Curtis tried to remember when he had last seen her with them. Some time just before the Thing had shown up she had been there but he had not noticed after they were attacked. A dreadful thought that she had been carried off by another creature while they were distracted came flashing into his mind and it took some will power not to panic. He deemed it wiser not to mention this possibility until it was clear that she was not close by.
SmallestPerson
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2004 05:20
Panting, Lilith brushed the long unruly strands of brown hair behind her ears. She too looked about anxiously for Finn, but she saw nothing, nor could she recall seeing her leave.
Then with a sudden thought, she turned to Mette. Taking the little girl's thin hands in her own she asked softly, "Mette, did you see what happened to Finn?"
The girl nodded quietly and pointed through the trees. "She walked that way." Lilith looked up at Durant who looked over at Curtis who looked down at Dwyn, still limp. "What should we do," Lilith asked, though she knew the others were thinking the same. "Should we go after her?"

((Sorry, didn't have much time to post!))
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2004 08:50
"I don't think Dwyn is able to go" Curtis said, then he added "and I am feeling a bit faint to tell the truth." touching the gash on his temple that was still bleeding heavily. "I have a horrid feeling that that thing may have a family and be back in strength. We should not stay here if we can help it." He looked about them. Trees were thinner here so the light was bright in the places where it made down to the forest floor. "Let's find shelter of some kind. Then, Durant, Lilith and you, good hunter ((ooc. I can't remember his name :banghead: :banghead: )) can go look for Fin while I stay with Dwyn and Mette."
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2004 11:22
(( I`m sooo sorry I haven`t been posting for ages! :sob: (The last time I was writing for this thread, the computer froze and deleted my post.) ...I`ll start writing the actual post now...))

Finn followed the source of the noise further and further into the woods. For now she was sure it was a person, and the further she went, the more her curiosity and her anxiousness to find out grew. She kept her distance ofcourse, and kept as quiet as possible, although that hardly seemed necessary after all the noise the stranger was making.
Just as she was beginning to give up; for the person never seemed to stop and she couldn`t roam too far away from the others, the noise came to a halt. Finn quickly hid behind the thick trunk of a nearby tree and stayed as silent as possible as a frightening thought came across her mind. What if she was being lead to this place? The noise being so loud could have been deliberate, a trap perhaps. She looked back at the path they had come from, only there hadn`t been a path. They had gone past trees, through bushes and tangles of branches.. Her face paled, there was no way back. She was lost.
Panic struck. Finn thought about and regretted her stupidity, and her lack of common sense. Why didn`t she think about the risks of it being a trap more seriously? And how could she not think ahead for when she needed to get back to the others? She bit her lip, trying to calm herself down. Theres got to be a way out... Nothing came into mind, apart from the curiosity of the stranger which, as she realised now, had already got her into enough trouble. But there was nothing to do, she could roam the deep forest until she found some land mark to guide her back to where she had seen the others last, which was not a good idea for Finn knew her sense of direction was about as good as her skill in hunting-in other words, pretty rubbish. Therefore she knew her only hope was in someone to realise her absence and look for her. Tears welled up in the corner of her eyes. Why did she do nothing but cause trouble?
Something sounded from behind her as she had shut her eyes, keeping tears from falling. The stranger she had followed came into mind again. Finn listened intently, the stranger wasn`t approaching her, which was a relief. She shrank slowly to the ground, and attempted to think of what to do next, since she was stuck here...

(I`ll write more about "the stranger" and etc next time.. ))
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2004 11:07
((Karendil is shocked and horrified that her beloved RPG has fallen to the THIRD page of the PR forum and resolves to save it.))

The companions, minus Fin, found a well protected hollow by a forest stream. There they made a bed of some dry heather for Dwyn so she could recover from her trauma in relative comfort. Curtis started to look for more dry wood to make a fire.
"Fin can't be far from where we fought that thing." He said kneeling down to brush away a layer of leaves, wet from the rain fall earlier that day. "I will light a fire and make enough smoke so you or she will be able to see it." Curtis observed their hesitant faces for a moment before continuing. "I know it's dangerous and Fin may not be the only person who will be able to see it but it is easy to get lost out there I imagine and better to let every one know where we are than to get hopelessly lost and separated."
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2004 10:57
((Anyone still out there apart from Karendil?))

The man heard noises, talking to be precise, and followed the source. He peered through the bushes seeing a crowd of people. "...we are than to get hopelessly seperated" He heard one of them say. He listened amused for a second or so before stepping out before them.
A well build young man around his early twenties or so appeared before the group. He wore a simple garment with a sheathed sword at his waist and a bundle of some items that he found necessary. "Excuse me, sirs and ladys. I was wondering if you knew the way out of this forest? I think I maybe slightly lost..." He said. Despite being lost, his voice held a note of cheerfulness and humour. Looking at each of the people before him in turn, and noticing the tense atmosphere he smiled as if to assure them.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email