Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Price of Freedom
on: July 12, 2004 11:57
((Yay! A new person!! Thanks for joining SmallestPerson. And thanks for the hints and stuff, Karendil . Unfortunately, I don`t know how often I`ll be able to go online from now to quite a while, but I`ll post as often as I can. Come on everyone, keep up the good work! :disco: ))
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2004 04:43
"My name is Lilith," she said. "And I have escaped from the king."

Curtis smiled. "You are in good company, Lilith." He said "We are all former servants of the king, (with the exception of Elathi,)" he motioned towards the hunter, " and we do not wish to go back into his service for as long as we can manage." He introduced each of the others in turn.

((Sorry that is so short and unhelpful. No more time to post now, I'll be back!))
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2004 08:20
Finn had been sleeping soundly, but when she heard something stir, looked out through sleepy eyes. She stared at the ground before her face for a while, listening to the few noises she can hear. Then grew tired of not being able to see and so perked her head up turning around so she saw what was going on.

Lilith gazed at the girl, she had never seen her before, but thought that the other held a recognision for Finn..and everyone else. Finn guessed that she, like most others here, was from the palace even before she spoke. They all had one thing in common- the haunted memories of the place which they served in. Only Elathi knew and had seen that thought that kept many going- while others could only dream of it- Hope and freedom, or so he had said. But Finn trusted him as she did with everyone there, knowing the suffer people had been through. She shouldn`t trust so easily, she reminded herself, but being alone for most of her life, she couldn`t help but liking the growing group of people she travelled with- despite the situation.

"Hello Lilith," she started as she was introduced by Curtis, who seemed to be he only one fully awake, others were rubbing their eyes, still tired from the journey so far. Only Mette still lay, fast asleep and didn`t even stir.
"I`m Finette, please call me Finn- everyone does" she said, with what she hoped was a friendly smile, as her turn came round.

"We are all former servants of the king, and we do not wish to go back into his service for as long as we can manage" said Curtis. Finn looked at him, a pained look upon her face.
"There won`t be another chance once we`re caught, Curtis. This is our last and only chance. The King won`t let you or me, or anyone else live now that we`ve proven escape is possible. He`ll think others would be encouraged to do the same." Finn looked away, far into the trees
"Perhaps I`ve already encouraged too many of those from the palace towards escape. Durant heard me on the day of my escape, talking about the plan, but how many more heard with him?" Tears welled up around the rim of Finn`s eyes again, making her vision cloud.
Because of me...I could have caused people to fall to their deaths...Because I talked..

She rubbed the tears away, hoping not to be seen. A certain pride within her made her feel shame at crying before everyone. She looked around, a grim smile on her face but her eyes determined all the same. "If we want to survive, it`s better not to be found at all. Trying to argue our way out of punishment against the King would mean nothing but pain in other innocent people who get in his way next time after us."
It had gone quiet. Finn wondered if she had got carried away or something, and gazed down at the ground again, embarrassed.
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2004 04:40
Curtis looked at Fin, concerned for her and feeling that the long journey must have taken a high toll on her. Her staunch hope seemed to be wavering. He did not know what to say to her. Her words had much truth in them. It was what all of them had known, deep inside, but not wanted to speak aloud lest it become more true. He remembered the moment when he knew he had to escape and the terror of that moment, knowing that it would either be his death or the beginning of a new and better life.
"You have given people hope, Fin. No one would have thought it possible if some one had not tried it." He found the words with difficulty. "I would die, young as I am, striving for freedom, rather than play his puppet and live to grow old. You have taught others to look for a better life, that they deserve something more." He was silent for a moment again. The fire flickered and the trees rattled together in a sudden wind. "We won't be found." He said simply, he could think of no reassurance for why not but he truly believed that some charm of luck had kept them save so far and brought them together and he felt that it would see them through. "Hold your head up, Fin. You have no reason to feel shame. You are the stone that may yet start a land slide."
SmallestPerson
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2004 08:10
Lilith sat with her arms wrapped around her knees. She tried to think of something more to say to encourage Finn, but she knew that Curtis had said it all. They were going to make it. She pulled a few strands of hair away from her face and tried to smile to brighten the atmosphere. The smile came a lot easier than she had expected. She felt somewhat lighthearted and almost happy despite the gloomy forest and the threat to all of their lives. For they were all together working towards the same goal. It was much nicer to be in such danger along with other people. Lilith came very close to saying this out loud, but then she thought it might sound rather stupid so instead she said, "Well, it is nearing dawn... I think. What is our plan?"
Acheron
Realm of Tulkas Leader
Send Message
on: July 15, 2004 12:27
" To get to the nearest safe haven we have to travel through the Pass of the Living in the Mountains of the Dead," he said rather ominously as he removed an deer hide map. He pointed to a set of zig zagging lines that had only one split in it, "why do they call them the Mountains of the Dead?" Finn asked reluctantly. "That is a dark and long forgotten story, your in luck for i am one of the keepers of this tale," he sighed sitting back putting rocks on the corners of the map to keep it open. "Long ago this land was known as the Shadow Veil, it was ruled by greedy monsters and malicious demons. The people of the Empire feared the demons and so to destroy their fear they assaulted the Veil. Many on both sides fell but those demons who fell disolved leaving no trace, the war was won when the arch demon Izual was destroyed by Emporer Fargus. But this victory came at a cost and the lord's oldest son Malfeas died in combat, the boys body is buried at the top of one of those mountains. Those mountains are filled with the bones of countless warriors who fell that day, that is why they are called the Mountains of the dead." He said sadly sitting back to catch his breath. "Are you all sure you still want to make this trip?"He asked his eyes weary.
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2004 11:01
"Ofcourse. We`ve come this far, I have no intention of stopping now. If we have to go through this place you speak of, then i suppose we must. But before that, Elathi, are you sure this is the best path? And exactly how dangerous would you say it is to travel there?" Finn said before anyone else could speak, she was eager to get away from the forest, ofcourse, but now that the paths they were to take were being planned, she was beginning to feel that perhaps the forest wasn`t so bad after all. She shook herself, such things shouldn`t have come out so quickly, even inside her mind.
Elathi thought for a moment before - "Everywhere we could go would be dangerous. I`m talking not only of creatures that inhabit the places, but also your "King`s" guards would travel far and very quickly too. But yes, this path seems best."
Finn looked into the remains of the fire, she couldn`t think of anything to say in reply, nor could she meet his eyes for some reason she refused to think of. "I see" She said weakly at last.
Her gaze wandered towards the trees again, just in time to see something flash past. It looked very much like a familiar figure..
Too familiar...
The silhouette of the person had come and gone very quickly, but Finn recognised him instantly."Nenion..." She whispered. Everyone around her turned around, "Pardon?" Came a voice from someone.
"Nenion went past..He`s a guard." She turned around to face the person next to her, she could no longer see properly who it was, her eyes no longer registered what she saw. And her face was frightneningly pale, "Nenion..what`s he doing here..?"

Durant stood up abruptly, "We should get moving. If Finn really saw that guard, they must have seen us. How long would it be before a whole group of them find us here?
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2004 04:45
Curtis stood and started to gather up their few belongings. "Let's not wait around to find out." He roused Dwyn, who had fallen asleep while they talked. "We have to get out of here and on to the next challenge." Dywn looked up sleepily, not quite fully awake yet. Durant was lifting Mette and wrapping her in his cloak. The hunter was folded up his map and Lilith started putting out the fire. All worked silently as possible. As the last flicker of flame died in their small fire pit Curtis saw that Fin had not moved, she sat starring with out seeing. "Fin!" No answer. Curtis grabbed a branch out of the dying fire and help it up to see Fins face, she was very pale. "Fin, are you aright?"
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2004 08:42
"Finn, are you allright?" came a voice from faraway. Finn`s mind had yet to figure that those words were said to her. No response came. "Finn?" Curtis asked again, cautiously. He placed a hand on her shoulder and shook her gently, "Finette!" he repeated, getting quite worried now. Finn was shivering, her hands were clenched tight and were a pale blue-ish colour from the cold. No one else felt this cold, but the effect on Finn was frightening.

Finn slowly turned to look at Curtis, her face still frozen in an expression of shock - with her unseeing eyes wide, and her skin turning paler than ever. Her mind refused to think, while all she could hear was the far voice of Curtis who stood next to her, and her own blood pounding in her ears.
"Are we going?" She said at last. Her gaze was being drawn back to the trees again, then she forced herself to focus on something near her, trying to clear her blurred vision.
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2004 03:29
Curtis starred helplessly at her. He was quite alarmed. "Yes, Fin, we must go!" He said trying to hide the distress, nearing panic, in his voice. He turned quickly to the others, they all seemed as bewildered as he.
"Help her to her feet, Curtis." Said Dwyn coming over to the two of them and taking Fins hand. Curtis took her other hand and they helped her stand. She seemed rather dizzy and swayed, her knees buckled. Curtis put his arm around her to steady her. Dwyn took one of their water bottles and held it to Fins lips.
"Can you walk?" Curtis asked.
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2004 08:57
Finn drank from the water bottle pressed to her lips. "I think so.." Came the reply. She tried again. Swaying, she managed to get onto her feet and with help from Curtis and Dwyn, they started walking away from the small clearing.
Finn was walking unaided after sometime, for she insisted that they had a smaller chance of being spotted by doing so. But everytime she stepped on and snapped a twig, everytime she tripped and fell, the evergrowing thought of that she was being the burden grew stronger than ever.
"Elathi...are you sure we`re going the right way?" She whispered to the hunter who lead the way. It wasn`t that she doubted his sense of direction or the map, but the worry of the forest getting darker and gloomier than ever, along with the feeling she had of being watched by something unknown to them..

She spun around, only to see Durant looking surprised by her sudden action, and a spasm of pain. Holding a hand to her forehead, she searched the trees, although she did not know what it was that she was looking for. Then with reluctance, she started running to catch up with Elathi to hear his reply.

[Edited on 21/7/2004 by Star_of_Earendil]
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2004 06:37
((sorry I did not answer sooner. Smallestperson and I have had a very long week it's over now so I will be on more regularly. I think. When is Di getting back, dose any one know? and LadyV?))

Curtis walked steadily at the rear of the party. He had decided when they left their camping spot that he hated this forest. Every dark leaf blocking out any light from moon or stars or sun, every great tree bowl and branch standing in the way of their freedom became more hateful to him than anything he had ever encountered. Partly it reminded him of the forest in which he had grown up; a place and a time he did not enjoy thinking about. These woods were darker and more menacing surely but it was like walking open eyed through the world of his nightmares. Often when he was younger he had dreamt about his childhood home and the painful memories had made the woods darker and menacing. Now he found him self in a forest just as terrible as any he had dreamed of.
On top of this was his growing concern for Fin. Curtis watched her carefully as she jumped at every sound and every imagined one. He was unsure how to help her. He felt helpless. He always felt a little lost when it came to girls because he had never know any very well. He went through every thing that had happened just before Fin started acting strange. He wished he would have noticed it sooner than he did, now he could not shed any light on the cause of her odd behavior.
With all this on his mind, perhaps we can forgive Curtis for the laps in his usual vigilance. It was not until the creature had dropped out of the dark branches above and onto Liliths shoulders, knocking her down, that he looked up and saw what he should have sensed long ago and what Fin may have been sensing as she walked. it was a huge creature rather like a hawk in shape only much bigger than any hawk should grow. No feathers could be seen on it's body it's great wing like limbs were much like a bats. Curtis was not sure that it could really quite fly; each wing ended in something like a hand made for hanging onto tree branches, there was not much room in the woods to fly very far anyway. The things red-gold eyes burned with a crazed hunger. At the ends of it's powerful looking legs were huge talons that griped Lilith, wrapping all the way around her body. It lifted it's great beak and head and let out an earsplitting screech, daring any one to challenge it. Elathi was the first to move after the shock of the sight and Liliths scream of terror. He drew his sword and charged at the things back. The creatures eyes, placed on the sides of its head and able to see it's surrounding in all directions, blazed in anger at the attempt. With another glass shattering cry it flung one arm backward and knocked the hunter to the ground before his stroke could fall.

(( the long awaited "big ugly thing" cause I felt like it today Let's have some fun, shall we?))
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2004 10:23
((Ok, prepare yourself for a long post... I thought writing about Nenion was a good idea, for he on the pursuing side, and I have plans... Also I`ve introduced a new character, called Teneth. He`s a minor character that I just used to explain about Nenion, but he might come up a bit more later on... Ok, enough ooc talk I think, here it goes...))

Finn couldn`t scream. She had forgotten how to. She saw the beast amongst the leaves seconds before it appered above Lilith, but her voice was lost. She simply watched, weaponless and helpless, as the creature dropped down on the unsuspecting girl. She saw Elathi charge at the thing. She watched him fall only a few yards before her. She saw, but did nothing. Finn realised for the first time that her feet refused to move and slowly raised her face from Elathi to the thing. She stood as pale as a ghost, and as still as a dead tree, watching, always watching the creature`s eyes.
They burned with rage. But something made Finn think that there was something else too. And despite what the beast was doing to the people around her, she felt pity for it. She couldn`t quite place her finger on what it was, but she was sure there were more to it`s actions than what first met the eye.
The creature let out another ear splitting cry. It contained a sorrowful note, or so she thought. From the way she kept so still one would have thought her to be, almost, bewitched. But no one saw this for everyone`s focus was on the capturer of Lilith, the huge claws gripping harder than ever.

Having left his horse a while ago, Nenion strode through the trees. He knew that the escapees would flee the moment they heard the sound of guards approaching, so he went alone. To tell the truth, he was alone. He knew many whispered behind his back. The reason lay with the time the King had sent for him.
After being summoned he rejoined the searching party of guards in the forest, he was no longer one of the guards, but was above them- in charge of them. This caused rumours. Some said he had bribed the King into giving him the higher ranked position, others mentioned a deal going on. Only one fact remained straight- that Nenion had grown even more silent, and kept himself to himself. He no longer talked to the others, as he was often ignored. So instead, he gave commands.
He had twice encountered the group, or so he thought. The first, he was certain about, was before they entered the Black forest, near a cave, where they came by the the escapees by pure chance. They pursued them afterwards only to lose them in the Black Forest. Nenion had then left them to search the place while he walked alone, looking for the group of escaped servants. Just when he thought he had lost their trail, and was roaming without mush hope, he found them.

Which was where I made the mistake of being seen by Finn.

Taneth- who used to be a friend of Nenion`s- also in the search, soon found that Nenion had changed in more than one way. For a start there was the obvious muteness he held, but there was also something else which had taken Taneth a while to work out. That something was that Nenion`s attitude. He had gone from being a warm, compassionate man to a colder, practial captain of the guards through the past few days. He often wandered away from the group, not to return for days. The effect the search was having on Nenion concerned Taneth. He wished that the King would call the search off quickly, not only for his sake but also for Nenion`s. Why`s the King so eager to get those escapees anyway? Taneth thought often, specially when going through harder times Whats so special about them?

[Edited on 23/7/2004 by Star_of_Earendil]

[Edited on 23/7/2004 by Star_of_Earendil]
SmallestPerson
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2004 12:13
((Sorry I haven't been on...like Karendil said, we've been rather busy *Millie faints from sheer exhaustion*
Wow. I'm not on for a few days, and I come back to find my character threatened by a big-ugly-thing! ))

Lilith was terrified. One minute she was walking through the forest with the others, deep in thought, the next, she found herself caught up in the claws of a giant bat-like creature. The sharp talons dug into her ribs and caused her to cry out in pain and utter terror. She wasn't quite sure what exactly what it was that held her in its ruthless grip, and that was part of what scared her. As she screamed and flailed about, Lilith could see Elathi struck back by the thing. She could see Finn standing frozen.
As Lilith struggled, the creature's grip tightened and the claws cut into her skin. She couldn't scream anymore. In a daze she looked about for something to use as a weapon, remembering with a cringe that she hadn't brought any means of defense when she escaped.
On the ground, she saw something glint in the dim light. It was a small dagger, probably either Elathi's or Curtis', she wasn't sure. Lilith reached for it, with all her strength. It was only half a foot from her fingers. She stretched out until she could barely stand the talons in her side...
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2004 04:41
(( I`m not sure, but I don`t think i`ll be able to get online for a while...just to let you guys know. Please move my character around with the group if I don`t seem to be posting. Thanks! :rolling: ))

Everything around her seemed to happen so slowly that she could see every detail out of the corner of her eyes. Still frozen to the spot, Finn`s eyes darted from the creature to Lilith. The talons of the beast, Lilith and the knife next to her, and her straining fingers reaching towards it. If only I could atleast hand her the knife Finn thought suddenly. It was then that she could think clearly for the first time since the creature`s apperance.
Move! Finn urged her unmoving legs. "Move!" She said out loud this time. She heaved a step, then another, dragging her heavy feet each time. Her strides were unsteady, and she staggered from time to time. Slowly she neared the dagger, until she found that it was right before her, just by her foot.
"Stay where you are" Came a weakened voice, which Finn ignored. Picking up the weapon, she held it in her hand for a brief second, as if weighing the item. She glanced yet again at the beast and Lilith, held in it`s talons.

Without further hesitance, she threw the knife.
SmallestPerson
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2004 07:18
Lilith watched helplessly as Elathi and Curtis continued to charge at the monster. But the thing's eyes were constantly following them and so they were repeatedly thrown to the ground in fury. Lilith turned again to try to reach the dagger, and saw instead Finn standing there, holding the dagger in her trembling hand. Finn threw the knife and for a wavering second it hung in the air, the blade shining. Lilith took a deep and painful breath and reached out and caught it in her hand. The beast felt the movement and its eyes turned quickly from Lilith's companions to her. But even quicker, Lilith took the dagger and shoved it deep into the thing's red eye. The creature let out a strangled cry and threw Lilith to the ground in its anger. A black fluid poured from its wounded eye. Elathi and Curtis, seeing their chance, jumped onto the thing and struck at it with whatever weapons they could find. Soon the monster lay in a dead heap on the ground.
Lilith lightly touched her sore ribs with her hand and then slowly moved towards the dead creature. She looked around at the others. "What is it?" she whispered.

((I hope nobody minds me killing off the big-ugly-thing. It's just that no one seems to be on much, and I didn't want it to drag on. Besides, I was in a big-ugly-thing killing mood. ))
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2004 05:09
((*Karendil sobs uncontrollably* My poor big-ugly-thing! You Killed it :cry: :sob: ok I am done now. I don't mind really. I was out of ideas as to how to get rid of it any way.))

"I don't know." said Curtis catching his breath. He was nursing a hurt arm and looking over the creatures wreck with less curiosity then would have been expected, he was rather distracted by his dagger in his other hand. "I think I have ruined my only weapon." he sighed and dropped the hilt among the shards of it's broken blade on the ground. "Are you alright, Lilith?"
SmallestPerson
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2004 06:52
Lilith nodded. "Just a few bruises and cuts, but it makes it rather hard to breath. I don't think I'm ready to go on quite yet. You are hurt as well, maybe we should rest. Besides", she whispered to Curtis. "Something is wrong with Finn..."
As they all sat down, Lilith went over to Finn who was looking quite pale and dazed. "Finn," Lilith said softly, putting her hand on the girl's shoulder. "Finn, thankyou for helping me." A small nod was all the reply. Lilith looked around at the others, and then back to the girl. "Finn...what is wrong?"

((Please find it in your heart to forgive me, Karendil. I'll try not to kill off any more of your big-ugly-things again, I promise. ))
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2004 09:29
((I'M BAAACK! Ok, I'm really excited to be back since I missed y'all soooo much, but it's gonna take me a while to catch up on everything that I've missed...So I just wanted to let ya know I'm back now...I'll try and post soon!))
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2004 06:57
((Yeah! :disco: :disco: :disco: Diamond is back! hey, while you were gone I ran across a cool factoid; Durant is a latin verb that means "they endure" maybe you already knew that but I thought it was cool. me and my latin dictionary :rolling: *she rolls her eyes and grins* "Magnam deformem rem durant." hehehe "they endure the big ugly thing." ok I am done now.))
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2004 06:20
((Hehe, thanks for the warm welcome Karendil! And cool factoid too...I did not know that, but I think it's very fitting. Oh, and welcome to our RP SmallestPerson!!! I can't believe I missed the big ugly thing, though! :cry: Hgrumph.))

Durant looked at Finn with worry. She was barely responding to Lilith's concerned questions and kind gestures. Presently, Durant noticed that Mette's small form was no longer at his side. Before he could worry, he saw little Mette cross over to where Finn and Lilith sat on a log. The little girl ran up to Finn and without hesitation, and wrapped her arms around Finn in an endearing embrace. Durant watched as Finn, unsure at first, returned the embrace warmly. Durant smiled and, seeing there was little he could do to comfort Finn any more, turned towards Curtis and Dwyn. "What do you think we should do with that?" he asked, gesturing at the corpse of the monster they had just encountered.
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2004 03:40
Curtis looked at the corpse with distain. “I don’t know,” he said, “I wonder if it is edible. It does not looked very appetizing but food is going to be a problem eventually.” he looked around at his companions. None of them looked eager to cut up and cook the creature to see if it could be stomached.
“We don’t really have time to find out.” said Dwyn.
Curtis nodded in agreement. “As much as I hate to leave a sign for our pursuers saying we were here, we must not delay and let them close the gap between us any more than they have already.”
SmallestPerson
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2004 03:47
"Alright, then," said Lilith, brushing her hair out of her face. "Let's get going."
She helped Finn to her feet and they all started off through the woods again, but this time they were more wary, and every shadow seemed a threat.

((Save "Price of Freedom"! Don't let it diiiiie! ))
Acheron
Realm of Tulkas Leader
Send Message
on: July 31, 2004 08:31
Elathi stood having by now suffered multiple concussions, "we really do need to be going but we arn't moving fast enough." He said cradling his bruised ribs, his every breath came out with pain. The hunter checked his surroundings and nodded to himself, " I remember this place, there is a hidden cave this way. Someone grab the horses and follow me," he said as he shambled off into the woods. The others followed climbing through the underbrush, finally he came to a large bush of briar and using his sword and knife seperated it into two smaller sections. Behind the bush was a round hole leading down into darkness, he ushered the others down into it. "You," he said to the one with the horses, "take them over to that clearing and tie them up, wake up Faderas and tell him to guard them." he said them crawled down the hole.
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2004 05:44
((They had horses? Hah, oh well...Elathi did. I can't remember. I always have to go back and check if I have a sword, or this or that. Short term memory loss ya know. ))

Durant was glad when the reached the cave Elathi spoke of. Though he was not badly hurt, he was weary, and so were his companions. He was also hungry, and realized with disdain that he had given the last of the food in his pack to Mette last night. He knew his companions had brought little food as well. "As Curtis said, food is beginning to become a problem." ((OOC: Ok, I know that's not exactly what he said...But I felt like bringing the food issue up now))

"Yes," said Dwyn, "We should perhaps share and ration our food to make it last longer."

"And we'll need hunting parties of sorts," added Curtis.

"Yes. I know not what sort of game there is in this forest, but there are certainly some kinds of life," Durant shuddered, remembering the grotesque thing they had encountered earlier, "What do the rest of you think?"
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2004 02:55
(( Yay! Welcome back Di :hug: Aaaannnnd we`re on the forth page!! :disco: . Sorry i`ve been away for a while, and unfortunately I`ll probably be away for a further week or so from the 4th of August, but you guys are doing great so I don`t see anything to worry about; apart from my character being left in the forest in a strange state . I`ll try to catch up a bit now but I`ll start from the "Finn, Mette embrace" bit . And also...they had horses? I don`t think Finn did, being a servant... ... I`ll start writing now.. ))

Finn had sat on the log without thinking. She sat still watching the corpse and was surprised when something warm wrapped itself around Finn. Being pulled back into reality, she saw it was Mette, and returned the embrace warmly. "Thankyou, Mette. I`m allright now."
Finn`s gaze followed Mette, who had run back to Durant, and saw him smile lovingly at the little girl. Feeling a certain warmth inside, Finn stood to rejoin the others who was now discussing the slayed beast.

The cave, after what had happened in the forest, looked more welcoming than Finn had imagined it to be. They lit some wood for warmth, but the atmospthere was far from cheerful. Food was a serious subject, specially the shortage of it. Listening intentedly, Finn realised that her own food supply had gone sometime ago, just before they had entered the forest, and wondered why she hadn`t realised this before.
"Durant," She said before anyone else had a chance to speak "What happened to me in the forest?" It was a strange question, but thinking back Finn couldn`t remember anything between the time she twisted her ankle to the encounter of the creature.

[Edited on 3/8/2004 by Star_of_Earendil]
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2004 06:25
Curtis looked at his meager supply of food left in his sack. It would not last long and it would disappear even sooner divided among the seven of them. Having ruined his only remaining weapon his hopes of being any use in a hunt were also looking slim.

"Durant," Fin said before anyone else had a chance to speak "What happened to me in the forest?"

Curtis looked up at Fin, some where between startled and bewildered. He wondered if Durant had any clearer idea of what had happened to Fin than he did. And if he did, would it be wise to remind her of it, or would that send her back into the strange state she had been walking in of late. He glanced at Durant.
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2004 02:54
"Durant," Fin said before anyone else had a chance to speak "What happened to me in the forest?" Durant was startled at the question. It was the first time they'd heard Finn speak in several days. Durant paused for a moment, trying to think of what the best response would be. He glanced around at his companions, his eyes falling on Curtis last. For a moment they shared a glance of uncertainty. The silence grew akward, so Durant thought it best to speak, though he still knew not what to say. "Erm, I, I don't know what you mean...?" he began.

"I mean that I don't remember anything that happened," said Finn flatly.

"Finn, are you sure you're alright?" Durant asked, genuinely concerned, "I...Don't know if it's really....wise...to...." Durant trailed off.

"I'm fine," Finn shrugged the question off, "I only want to know what happened. Tell me everything."

Durant felt he had no choice but to tell her. Feeling the eyes of his companions on him, he strided over to where Finn sat and began to recall the recent events, pausing every so often to see if he was sparking any sort of memory. When he was retelling the night when Finn had seen the guard, he paused even longer, remembering how strangely she'd acted. He thought he saw a spark of recognition in her eyes.

((Ok, I don't know if there was something you were trying to get to through all that, SoE, but I guessed it would've been something with Nenion, so I left it open for you to jump in there...If you were thinking of leading into something completely different, that's good too, I can always change this.))
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2004 04:34
(( No, thats fine Di. It`s because Finn`s been acting strangely, I wanted to get her back to the normal state. About Nenion, he`ll come in later, mainly because I`m going away for about a week, and don`t know if I can get on the computer at all (And also I can`t be on the comp for too long now). Please feel free to move my character/make her speak/anything else that I haven`t thought of. ))

Finn listened patiently, she just took in the details and didn`t question Durant any further. She couldn`t remember anything, she knew that far. So she felt it important to atleast have the gaps in her memory filled in.
"..then you saw the guard. You said you recognised him.." Said Durant with a pause.
"Nenion, I guess. He`s supposed to be after us, under the order of the King." A shiver ran down her spine, not that she was cold or afraid of the mention of the King.
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2004 11:10
"Yes," Durant told Finn, "That's what you told us." Durant then continued on, to tell Finn about the monster they had encountered and all else up until that moment. When he finished, she said simply, "Thankyou Durant. I am beginnning to remember."

"We were talking about food, were we not?" Durant continued before anyone could answer, "Which reminds me, you should eat something Finn. I don't believe you've eaten in quite a while."
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2004 03:08
Curtis sat against the wall of the cave and listened to Durant while he watched Fin carefully. He was relieved to see that she seemed to be almost herself again.
The knight leaned back and sighed. He was tired, so tired that he could feel his usual defenses falling. Childhood fears stole over him when he was tired. He hated caves. Dark, cold, rough and hard, memories crowded in and he was too tired to keep them out, all his ways of overcoming them were worn through. He stared into the fire, pulled his knees up to his chest and wrapped his arms around them. As hard as he tried, he could not keep from imagining shapes in the flames. Tortured figures writhed, falling, falling forever and burning.
He stood abruptly and shivering turned to Durant and Elathi. "We can't go on tomorrow with out food." he said, "Let's go and see if we can kill anything edible." he grabbed his cloak hastily and got out of the cave as quickly as he could without obviously running. Outside he waited, not really caring if the others came out or not, breathing the fresh, free air.

((Ok, that was for SmallestPerson, I promise Curtis won't freak out like that often I was at a loss today))
SmallestPerson
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2004 04:31
Lilith had been watching Curtis as Durant carefully related the past events to Finn. She had noticed that he had become increasingly uncomfortable inside the cave. His eyes darted back and forth as if trying to see things in the shadows, and his breathing came quick.
Concerned, she crept out after him as he left the cave. He stood a while, just breathing deeply. Lilith slowly ran her fingers through her long hair, pulling it away from her face. She crept up next to Curtis, who seemed to be calming down a little. "You don't like caves?" she asked quietly, only half joking. He mumbled something about childhood memories. "Oh, I don't like caves much either," she replied after a moment. "They close you in... almost like the walls of the palace. Besides," she added on a somewhat lighter note. "I always heard that great and terrible dragons lived in caves, and they frightened me when I was small. I don't suppose I should have been frightened, though. I don't believe dragons are bad really, just a little daunting I suppose. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to talk to one...it would make me feel even more insignificant then I already do, but I still wonder..." Lilith trailed off and looked up at the sky. Then she laughed softly. "Here I am babbling on about dragons," she said turning back to Curtis. "Why didn't you stop me? Anyway, I am not much of a hunter, but I can look around for good edible plants. I'm not sure what grows in this forest, but I might find something to give Finn the strength she needs...the strength we all need."

((I just couldn't help it, Karendil! ))
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2004 07:17
((BAD SmallestPerson!! No fair tormenting Curtis :nono: I guess that was rather irresistible. You know too much! Is this you trying to get me to explain things more clearly in his DB profile? In case the rest of you have not figured it out yet, SmallestPerson and I live in the same town and see each other all the time. Curtis is a character from a story I wrote and SP has read. She thinks I should put his WHOLE life story in the DB, not just a loose outline))

Curtis fidgeted uncomfortable while Lilith talked. He glanced back into the cave as if to see if the others were coming.
"um.... you can come if you want I suppose." He said awkwardly when Lilith suggested that she look for edible plants. There followed a unendurable - at least for Curtis - silence. Finally he spoke again "Dragons are not really terrible, just awful, awe full if you know what I mean." another silence. Curtis stared at the sky and Lilith stared at Curtis.
Presently, Elathi emerged from the cave followed by Durant. Curtis took a deep breath, rather relieved. They started out into the night.

((That scene needed to END :rolleyes: ))
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 08, 2004 08:22
Curtis looked calmer than he had in the cave, by the time Durant stepped out. He had waited a moment to make sure Finn would be alright while they hunted. Dwyn agreed to stay with Finn and Mette while the rest of them went to find what food they could. After grabbing the small dagger from his pack, and ruffling Mette's hair, he emerged from the cave's mouth to join Curtis, Elathi and Lilith. "Are you going to hunt too then, Lady?" he asked Lilith, only slightly jestingly.

She smiled, and replied "No...No, I'm no good as a hunter," she flushed slightly, "but I thought maybe, well, I'll try to look for some edible plants."

"Very good, that will help us a quie a lot." encouraged Durant, "Who knows how much game we'll actually be able to catch with our few weapons," with this he turned to Curtis and Elathi, "I have a small dagger. And my brother-" he winced slightly at the memory of Oren- "my brother and I used to make small traps to catch squirrels at the palace. Maybe they would work; I think I remember how."

[Edited on 9/8/2004 by DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve]
SmallestPerson
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2004 06:52
Lilith was relieved when Durant came out to join them. Something she had been saying had been making Curtis uncomfortable, and she felt stupid. Durant began suggesting that they make traps, and Curtis agreed. "Well, I hope you are able to catch something." said Lilith with a smile. "I'll go off in this direction a little ways to see what I can find. I'd go with you, but I'd be sure to trip or something, and scare away your prey!" Lilith laughed lightly, but somewhat uneasily, and proceeded to enter the woods to the left of the cave. The dark trees towered over her, and she began feeling a little nervous. Looking around at the shadows and gnarled roots, she remembered the bat-like monster and fearfully rubbed her bruised side. By a rock she found some dandelion-like plants, and began collecting the leaves and stems. She somewhat regretted her offer to find edible plants, for most of the plants she saw were far from good. After a while of fruitless searching, she set off back towards the cave.

((I guess that was a rather pointless and boring, but I really couldn't think of much else to do! And by the way, Karendil, I wasn't trying to torment Curtis... its just that I thought maybe his story would get told Thanks for adding to his DB! :love:
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email