Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Price of Freedom
on: June 09, 2004 10:56
The sun was disappering fast, and stars had taken it`s place. Finn couldn`t think of anything to say, and apperently nor did anyone else. Finn searched for something to keep her from thinking too far into the awkwardness of the scene, and so gazed into the crackling fire. The heat radiating onto her face, and drying the thick layers of mud on her clothes. Sitting there not thinking was easy, she just let the warmth take her in, just watching the colours the flames produced.. The colours were enchanting, yet that all ended as she blinked findng her eyes were now painfully dry.
"I.." Finn started, she wasn`t the best at meeting new people, but she had lived in a small world till now. Finn tried again, "My name is Finette." She said, relieved that was over, "Please call me Finn. And..I think you should get some rest for tonight, we all should." Finn didn`t want to sound bossy, but she knew it would be for the best. "I`ll...I`ll watch over the fire and keep guard, if that is of any help.. Please sleep for tonight, I`m guessing we have a long way to go.. And more matters to discuss..perhaps sometime later."

She had started addressing Elathi, but finished talking to everyone there. Noticing the eyes upon her, Finn blushed and went to sit nearer the fire, looking deep into it, as if she was hiding from them all...
LadyValaina
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2004 01:21
(((Yay, it survived! The first 2 pages are always the most dangerous..)))

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The last thing Dwyn heard before she fell into a troubled exausted sleep, were themurmering of voices, and the muffled movement of other people near by.

She awoke feeling somwhat better, radient beams of moonlight spilling in through the opening of a cave. A cave... Dwyn's eyes shot open. She was in a cave She had no memory of how she had even came to be there. Here she was lying on the floor with a-a blanket? She sat up quickly causing her head to throb. There were...5 covered forms around her! Her first thought was panic. Flee. Get away. She stood quitely. No, they weren't enemies...They had probably been her rescuers. She finnally reasnoned.

She brush a strad of her ebony hair back form her check her hand brushing across the rough feel of caked mud, and her own blood. She started slowly, uncertainly towards the mouth of the cave trying to distingueh sleeping people, from haunting shadows. Outside hse relaxed. The full moon hung high in the night sky, on a carpet of sparkleing stars. A soft wind stirred the trees, pulling Dwyn's ankle-lenght white dress, friskly around her legs. She stepped from the rock-like-porch at the mouth of the cave onto the grass, wet, but refreashingly so.

She found beneath the shelter of several popular trees a sparkling pond, seemingly, rippleing with delight. She knelt down peering into the clear water. She dipped her hands in begining to scrape the dried mud and blood from her face and body. After this was down she surveyed herself again. Well, at least she looked decent except for a slender, tell-tale scratch, on her cheek.

She leaned against a tree, running her hands absently through her long hair. she wondered about the people in the cave. Why had they helped her? Who were they? She heard a rustle behind her...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2004 06:24
((Wow, not only does it live, but I almost got left behind! ))

Durant sat unmoving by the roaring fire, Mette curled up in a blanket at his side, as he had since they'd first been welcomed in by Elathi. Now, the talking had ceased, leaving an awkward silence lingering. Though the cave was small, Durant was amazed at the distance that seemed to lay between them. Finn spoke, breaking his reverie, "I`ll...I`ll watch over the fire and keep guard, if that is of any help.. Please sleep for tonight, I`m guessing we have a long way to go.. And more matters to discuss..perhaps sometime later." Everyone obeyed, and began rolling out blankets and sleeping mats. Durant busied himself with Mette. He knew the little girl was exausted and as soon as he nestled her into some blankets on the ground, she fell deep into a blissful slumber.

Sleep did not come quite so easily for Durant. He was extrememly tired, but knew he would not sleep easily. After tossing and turning on a thin blanket for what had seemed like ages, he slowly got up. For a time, Durant just stood at the mouth of the cave, looking out at the forest. It was beautiful, breath-taking almost. Beneath the small, jagged opening that was the mouth of the cave, lay a layer of smooth rock followed a few boulders gradually turning into grass and brush. The trees that surrounded them were ancient and large. Durant had never seen such trees, so majestic and old. He'd never really seen trees at all though, only from within the palace walls. Suddenly, a movement at the edge of his vision caught Durant's attention. An immediate curiosity overcame him. He knew it would be unwise to leave the cave, but there was something about the moon-beams that enticed him. They bathed the woods with a magical light making them seem tranquil and safe. Still slightly dazed, Durant stepped away from the cave's entrance.

Durant saw the girl they had rescued kneeling by the edge of a small, moonlit pool. Not wanted to startle her, he crouched behind a bush. How could he not have noticed she was gone? Still, she seemed to be in good enough health, for she was easily washing the dirt and blood from her skin. Durant saw her peer at her reflection and twist her fingers into her long, thick hair, combing them through the ebony mass. She seemed very relaxed, and surprisingly healed. Durant slowly stepped out from behind the brush, hoping to talk with her and learn who she was. He clumsily stepped a stick, snapping it under his boot. The woman startled and whipped her head around, hair flying out behind it. Quickly, Durant emerged his hiding place, palms up, indicating he carried no weapons. "I am Durant," he stated, "I mean no harm."
LadyValaina
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2004 06:58

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dwyn whirled around, hair flying in her face and around her bare shoulders. Before her stood a man palms up, and stock still, saying quickly "I am Durant, I mean you no harm." She remained in place, her body stiff, every muscle in her body taunt as a bowstring. He remained still too, plams still up, looking her in the eye. The situation soon proved awkward however and Dwyn lowered her eys, sinking slowly to the ground.

"I am Dwyn." She said softly. She knew he was one of her rescuers but still stated the obvious "Did you not, along with others, aid me?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

[Edited on 10/6/2004 by LadyValaina]
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2004 07:41
Curtis found it very refreshing to sleep on the ground as he had for all of his childhood. Feather beds and embroidered covers had always smothered him. The hard stone and the rough blanket seemed so much more real. He pushed aside all thought of what tomorrow would bring and this news about a "real king." At first the rain made a pleasant pattering and the thunder died, then the wind blew the storm away completely and Curtis listened to the gentle stirring of the trees and felt the moonlight on his face as it fell through the cave opening. How many hours slipped by as he lay unsleeping with his eyes closed, Curtis did no know. He opened his eyes and stared at the moon from where he lay on his back.
The silhouette of a woman passed out of the cave opening and then a mans shape loomed up, also to disappear into the moonlit wood. Curtis was lost in his own still thoughts and it was only after the two figures had gone that he realized that two of his companions were up and about. He sat up slowly and looked around at the forms still lying near him.
The hunter could be seen as a dark hump in the shadow of the cave wall. Finn was starring into the fire, the light playing on her face and dancing in her eyes. Little Mette lay curled up in her blankets sleeping peacefully. A blanket lay empty where Durant should be. And the woman they had rescued was also missing.
Curtis climbed to his feet. He meant to look for them and warn them that it was dangerous to be out alone when their master would be looking for them. He stood in the cave entrance looking out into the rain washed wood, the moon was beginning to set in a wreck of left over storm clouds. What a long night it has been! Let them enjoy the peace while it lasts.
Curtis sat against the edge of the cave wall and closed his eyes again. The gentle wind played in his dark hair, he ran his fingers through it to comb some of the mud out. A song ran through his mind and before long he was singing it softly. His voice blending, barely audible, with the breeze. Finally he fell asleep.

((sorry that was almost pointless. Its too early for me to be creative ))
LadyValaina
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2004 08:29
(((Oh! I can't post, but I'm sorry, I totally forgot about Finn keeping watch! Sorry, SoE! (Sorry, it's just easier to call you that! Lol.)))
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2004 09:04
(( Don't worry, nothing's changed that much, Finn can still keep watch-I'll explain that in this post. And i don't mind being called SoE, most people call me that in the chat rooms! ))

Finn watched the dark for quite a while now. She sat alone while everyone caught up with their sleep, and wondered how Nenion must have felt like being on watch almost everynight, one night was lonely enough as it was. Finn gazed into the cave and saw the moon creating spotlights within the cave. She saw the peaceful faces of some, while others seemed more troubled, and was frowning even in sleep. Finn's eyes were begining to close, as her mind was in peace with the rhythmic swaying sounds of the trees. The fire had gone out a few minutes ago, and the moonlight was comforting.
A movement within that cave suddenly shook Finn awake, she stayed perfectly still while attempting to see who or what had caused the noise. A woman stepped out of the opening, the woman who had lain unconscious ever since they found her. Finn stayed in the shadow of the tree, as the lady seemed not to notice her. She watched as the figure approached the pond, then to be joined by another figure, from his voice-Durant.
"I am Durant," he stated, "I mean no harm."
"I am Dwyn. Did you not, along with others, aid me?" replied the lady.
"..We found you trapped under a tree and got you out, if thats what you mean. Your cuts and bruises were cared for by the Hunter, who lead us all here."
"Thankyou" Dwyn said back, smiling slightly.
Durant looked away into the shadow where Finn sat, her arms clutching her knees close to her body, and watching the pair in conversation. Finn saw that Durant had noticed that she was there, and decided to come out and introduce herself. It wasn't that she wanted to stay in hiding...it just seemed like intruding if she were to suddenly come out, specially if the lady, who she now knew was called Dwyn, didn't know she was there.
Finn stepped into the light, where she was now clearly visible. "Hello.. I'm Finette...or Finn. I trust you're feeling better?" There was nothing more she could think of...as said before, Finn wasn't good at introducing herself.

((sorry, I hope you two don't mind me making your characters say some lines, if you do or want me to change it-please PM ))

[Edited on 10/6/2004 by Star_of_Earendil]
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2004 04:52
((All looks good SoE ))

"..We found you trapped under a tree and got you out, if thats what you mean. Your cuts and bruises were cared for by the Hunter, who lead us all here," Durant said to Dwyn. She thanked him and he flushed, quickly turning away. "Really, don't thank me. The Hunter, Elathi he is called, did most of the work. He tended to all your wounds," Durant shuffled for a moment, then to break the silence asked, "Were you too a servant under the King?" A stupid question, Durant thought to himself, what else could she be. They continued to talk for a time, then a slight movement caught Durant's eye. He saw Finn standing behind a tree. He caught her eye, over Dwyn's shoulder, and she stepped out into the clearing.

"Hello.. I'm Finette...or Finn. I trust you're feeling better?" she introduced herself. Durant stepped sideways to stand between Finn and Dwyn. "Yes, Finn is the one who bravely pulled you from beneath that tree," Durant added.
LadyValaina
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2004 06:42
(((OOC: Whoa! -I almost got left behind! Here goes.)))

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"...We found you trapped under a tree and got you out, if thats what you mean. Your cuts and bruises were cared for by the Hunter, who lead us all here."

"Thank you for your kindness." Dwyn replied, feeling slightly embaressed, she smiled. "Really, don't thank me." Durant replied, looking more uncomfortable at her gratidtude. "The Hunter, Elathi he is called, did most of the work. He tended to all your wounds," Durant shuffled for a moment, then to break the silence asked, "Were you too a servant under the King?"

Dwyn bit her lip, A slave you mean... "Yes. Yes, I was. It was my duty to look after the children, to make sure they were and would remain healthy, and care for other needs while their parents worked."

Durant nodded, but his attention seemed to be behind Dwyn. Puzzled she turned. Out of the shadows stepped a woman, perhaps Dwyn's age maybe younger. ""Hello... I'm Finette...or Finn. I trust you're feeling better?" She said softly, seeming dreadfully, hesitent.

"Yes, Finn is the one who bravely pulled you from beneath that tree." Durant added.

Dwyn smiled trying to appear perfectly at ease. But, unbeknowest to Finn she too wasn't too good at introductions. "I am perfectly well, thank you." She replied, "I am enternaly grateful to you and your companions for helping me."

The moon still shone with brillancy, so that Dwyn could clearly see the face of the woman. Then ventured to ask, "You look farmilar. Have we met before?"

(((Not written very good, sorry, no time!)))
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2004 04:43
Curtis woke with a start. He thought he had heard some one calling him. Looking around he could see no one. The forest was serene and in the east the sun was showing the top of her bright head above the hills tipping them with gold.
Curtis stood and stretched. Now to face the day. His eyes scanned the horizon line. Through the trees he thought he could see a pool and his companions standing by it. He was just going to join them when some thing else caught his eye. He thought he saw, far away, the gleam of dawn sunlight on helms. Soldiers! They were sill far away and they seemed to be going in the wrong direction. Maybe they would miss them. But there would be more of them going in other directions. And Curtis was almost sure he knew what they were looking for. It was a pity that so many servants had escaped at once, one might not be missed but five was a little obvious. Suddenly Curtis felt guilty. His escape had not been exactly inconspicuous, if he was not with them, his friends might have a better chance of getting away.
Curtis glanced behind him. Elathi was starting to wake.
"We have to leave, now!" The knight shouted over his shoulder. "The kings men are out and about and they may be looking for us. Either way, if they find us, it wont be a pleasant reunion." He sprang away to tell the others.

((SoE, please don't shoot me for being a control freak. I can delete if you like. Sorry for interrupting your conversation :rolleyes: :rolling: ))
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2004 11:27
Finn paused at the question. Had they met before...? Then Curtis ran to them, "We have to go, now! The King`s men are close, hurry!" Finn`s eyes grew considerably larger. She ran along with Curtis to the cave again. Durant and Dwyn followed behind. "How far away are they?"
"I can`t tell, but they`re too near for my liking" The man replied, jumping into the cave.
"Elathi, we must go" Finn said, out of breath and already pulling him up. She thought about what would happen if they got caught...what ever it would be, she didn`t want to go go through it....
Nenion trotted around the woods just outside of the palace. He had been ordered along with quite a few guards to look for 5 escapees, and catch them. One of them, he knew, was Finn. Nenion had grown quieter after the escape of his friend, people around him often wondered about the change, but no one thought about conecting the two events together. Now here he was, armed with a sword, and riding on a horse, looking for Finn and 4 other servants who had escaped around the time.
Then news came from the King ordering him back, the messenger had ran away before he could ask any further. He was being summoned by the Master, and it wasn`t his place to refuse. So he went, and was set to go out again a day later. Other soldiers saw him, and saw the furthermore change that had occured. He looked grave, his face refused to show and trace of expression, like a dead man. Guards who had once been his friends now avoided him, he had changed..but for the worse. He hardly talked but snapped, and he would just go off sometimes without a word of warning, not returning for ages. While men talked, he searched desperately, for he didn`t want them, Finn in particular, killed. And the only way to do that was to find them before anyone else did. For that gave slight hope, although he feared that he himself might end up having to kill them all...

((nope, i won`t shoot you, it`s better if we get moving anyway ))

[Edited on 12/6/2004 by Star_of_Earendil]

[Edited on 12/6/2004 by Star_of_Earendil]
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2004 03:48
((Yea, I agree...We'll never get anywhere if we just stand around chatting by pools all day... :rolling: :blush: ))

"Yes. Yes, I was. It was my duty to look after the children, to make sure they were and would remain healthy, and care for other needs while their parents worked." Durant saw the pained look that crossed Dwyn's face and wished he hadn't asked. But just then, Finn stepped into the clearing. They had scarcely passes introductions, when once more, they were interupted, this time by a frantic looking Curtis.

"We have to go, now! The King`s men are close, hurry!" he said, slightly out of breath. A twinge of fear- more than a twinge- touched Durant as well. Becoming suddenly more animated, he grabbed Dwyn's arm and ran after Curtis and Finn. When they reached the cave, he ran to Mette, while Finn roused Elathi. Durant pulled Mette into his arms and rushed to grab they're belongings and blankets.

The little girl was still blinking sleep from her eyes, but she immediatly sense her brothers fear. "What's happening? Are they going to find us?" she asked.

Durant looked blankly ahead for a moment. "I hope not," he said, shaking his head, "I hope to the Valar they won't." Without another word, he turned to find Curtis standing at the entrance to the cave, uneasily watching the soldier's helms grow closer. "What now?" he asked, "Where do we run?"

"Well," Curtis began, "We certainly can't just run, that would be nearly suicide. They have horses, they will out-run us wherever we go. We must hide."

"Do you know a place?" Durant questioned, trying to remain calm. "I know nothing of the the land outside the palace." Just then, Finn, Elathi and Dwyn emerged from the cave. Durant and Curtis turned to them hopefully. "Do any of you have a plan?" Durant asked hopefully

((Ok, my apoligies also for using anyone's char to much, I'll gladly change anything. Oh, also sorry for the lack of creativity...I'm can't think of any kind of a plan...))
LadyValaina
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2004 04:50
(((I agree, I just had to do that so my char would know who all your's were, if you take my meaning.)))

Dwyn's eyes were wide and her mind was in confusion as the knight she recognized from the palace came running franticly up saying breathlessly, "We have to go now! The king's men are close, hurry."

As te group practicly ran to the cave, Dwyn gathered what few things she had: a cloack, some food, bandages, and a few pieces of money. It wasn't much but it was everything.

As she rushed out of the cave Durant turned towards them, " Do any of you have a plan?" He asked hopefully.

Dwyn glanced to the east, squinting her eyes against the flash of steel, and chain mail. Bitting her lip she thought harder then she ever ad in her life. These people had helped her,, it would be only right to return the favor.

"I might know of a place..." She said finnally. Everyone turned to look at her, she blushed and continued, "When I was taken from my village 4 years ago they took me through what was called "The Black Forest", a small wood about a mile from here. I believe we would be able to find a suitable refuge there."

[Edited on 13/6/2004 by LadyValaina]
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2004 10:38
The Black Forest... Finn shivered at the name. "It doesn't sound too cheerful and the forest might not be safe, but what choices do we have? Besides, anywhere away from the guards would be safer than with them... And, I'm being hopeful here, perhaps they would find a small village near it or something, just to get information and other things that might be needed for the rest of the journey, weapons for example.. Thankyou Dwyn, despite the name of the place, it would be a very good idea to go there, for a while atleast.." Finn said, her voice trailing away near the end. "Now, we must go!"

((sorry it`s a bit short, I`ll write more next time! :rolling: ))

[Edited on 13/6/2004 by Star_of_Earendil]
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2004 05:01
((blah. Karendil did not get enough sleep last night.))

Curtis had heard of The Black Forest. An ideal hiding place? perhaps, but dangerous. It's worth a try.

"Let's go then. Spread out and keep low. The underbrush is thick and we must use it to our advantage." He turned to the woman they had rescued. "My Lady, I did not catch your name,) which way is the Black Forest from here?"

((sorry, that was a bit short.))
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2004 05:17
((come on people!! Where is LadyValaina? or some one use her character! don't let it DIE! :cry: I am sorry if I killed it! :banghead: :banghead: ))
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2004 06:44
(( Noooo....I won`t let it die, don`t worry Karendil . urm...shall we just move the story on to when they`re in the woods? Meanwhile, I`ll write about Nenion..))

Nenion found life harder outside the safer walls of the palace. He was not used to there being to many trees, and being surrounded by the thought of wild animals were, ofcourse, completely new to him. But he was also free to wander where he liked, as long as he found the escapees, the King had said. And this suited him fine, it would be a lot harder to try finding people if the finder`s were bound together. Furthermore, the whole search business introduced Nenion to freedom he had never experienced before, despite that freedom being limited as he still took the orders from the King and was to obey them, Nenion enjoyed what he could, while he had the chance.
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2004 05:05
((It's still aliiiiiivvvee! Or I hope so at least... Anyways, erm...I don't really know what to say, so forgive me if this post is short and pointless...But I'll try and keep it from dying))

The Black Forest. Just the name made Durant shudder. He'd heard stories of such a place...'Twas a formiddable place, full of mosters roaming free and lurking evil things that would bite off childrens' toes while they slept. They were no more than children's tales, but this was all Durant knew of the outside world. As a boy, he'd dreamed of seeing the world outside of the city, but now that we was out there, he really wasn't so sure.

"Let's go then. Spread out and keep low. The underbrush is thick and we must use it to our advantage." Curtis's words brought Durant's attention back. Shouldering his bag of bellongings and taking Mette's hand, he prepared to set out. Curtis spoke once more, to Dwyn this time. Durant felt his heart sink as they began to walk.
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2004 10:53
((Heya, just posting to say the I`ve got the OOC thread for this rp up again...well it was never down but i thought it`d be nice if we could discuss rough plot lines and things there, it`s explained in full(or more or less full) in the actual post, mind-i have changed the title slightly, but i`m sure everyone would get there fine, or find it without a problem . I`ll put a link here just incase, pleaase have a look at it! Here`s the link---> http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=15615 It`s the same thread as i started before i started the actual rp, so you`ll have to look at the most recent post that i`ve sent to see the thing i`m talking about!))

[Edited on 18/6/2004 by Star_of_Earendil]
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2004 05:58
“My name is Dwyn.” the young woman answered Curtis. Then she pointed south. Curtis gazed that direction. Perhaps a league distant the trees gave way to low hill covered in brush. Beyond this Curtis saw, or perhaps he imagined it, a dark line like a shadow cast by some great bird hovering over head. He lowered his eyes and concentrated on the next step rather than the far away menace. The cover from the forest would only last a little while and they would have to be much more careful while they crossed the hills. Curtis took a deep breath.
“Let’s go.” he said grimly. He strode into the the forest moving quickly and quietly from tree to bush to rocky outcropping.

((sorry it’s not longer. let’s get going))
LadyValaina
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2004 06:11
(((I'm so sorry people! My life has been a mess! Sewing Camp Today, Theater Camp tomorow, a friend from TN, her sister, my dad's going back to work, and my grandpa doesn't ave long to live! WHAHAHAHAHAH!:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Help me out, I LOVE this thread!)))
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2004 08:39
((Awww, there, there Lady V! I love it too! I donno what I"m gonna do when I leave. If you want to, go post in the OOC, I'm trying to figure out what to do in there. Innyhoo, it looks like we're finally moving on some...))

Durant looked at the seemingly endless hills below him. How could they cross them undetected? It would take a miracle, he thought. Though all the odds were against them, they had no other choice. The King's guards were closing in behind them, they could not turn back, the only place to go was this forboding forest.

((Grr...My creative juices are very dry now...I'll try and post more later though))
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2004 11:08
Finn saw everyone`s face as they saw the woods, she also felt her heart grow heavier. It was just as the name said, dark and black... And all seemed rather groomy, and dangerous. Specially with the guards about. But there is no other way Finn repeated to herself inside her mind. She, atleast, felt that she should try and act cheerful. If that made anything better for the group. "Come on," she called to them, already stepping ahead into the edge of the forest. "We must get through this first, before anything. And if we are, we might as well hurry" She said managing a weak smile. And so they strode into the dark maze of the trees, hoping they would indeed get out of it later..
It wasn`t long before a pause was called for, Finn had clumbsily twisted her ankle slipping off a fallen tree. Everyone else was always about a few yards behind Finn, because she had been taking lead for quite a while, running ahead, occasionally dropping back to ask for opinions an directions. But when they caught up with her, they found her speed had slowed considerably, and she was limping slightly. Curtis then called for a break while Finn miserably inspected her swollen ankle, knowing that every second counted towards the difference between capture and freedom...
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2004 06:16
((Sorry, Acheron, if you're still around...You could catch up with us I suppose...Well, here goes nothin'))

Though they were barely inside the dark maze of trees riddled with shadows that was called the Black Forest, Durant was already exhausted. It was hard to walk and carry Mette- for the girl was undoubtedly even weaker than he- on little sleep and almost no food he'd had in the past day. Especially at the pace Finn was keeping. He knew keeping far ahead of the guards was their only chance, but all the same, he was glad for a break. But as soon as Durant saw Finn sitting and examining her ankle, trying not to wince with the pain, he knew it was an unwelcome halt.

"We should eat something, all of us," Durant said, trying to sound cheerful, as he began to rummage through his sack for a bit of old bread to hand around.

"But we must keep moving," Finn pleaded.

Durant looked at the faces around him. Finn, Curtis, Dwyn and Mette, especially Mette, all showed signs of great weariness, though they all tried not to show it. "I know," Durant sighed and paused, "But take a bite to eat...The food will help. We can hardly keep such a pace without eating." Durant scanned the faces around him once more. Then, he noticed something. Something was missing. "The hunter!" he said suddenly. "The hunter we stayed with last night...He is not with us." Trying to remember, Durant realized he had not seen Elathi at all that morning.

((And, just in case you didn't read it in the OOC, I'm leaving tomorrow...I'll miss this thread so much :cry: but I'll try and post when I can and in between, feel free to use Durant or Mette as much as you want!))
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2004 06:19
Curtis felt his limbs grow heavy as soon as they stopped. if they had kept going he may have lasted longer but the stop gave his body time to remember that he had had little sleep and food and had been running for most of the day. He was glad of the stop.
"Druant is right. We must rest a bit and eat." he looked about them. the forest was dark and tangled and it had a curious effect on the mind; it took a constant will power to keep the darkness from seeping into ones mind. Curtis had not noticed at first but he soon found that if he did not concentrate on running and let his mind wander he would begin to hear noises and see strange shadows moving among the trees that would disappear as soon as he looked up at them. Then his mind would begin to be clouded and thinking at all became difficult. It took a great strain to clear the brain at that point. He wondered if the others had noticed it.
Now that they had stopped Curtis felt the darkness of fear begin to work on him. He needed something to keep his mind on. He knelt down in front f Fin and tore a strip from the hem of his cloak.
"Here, Fin, let me bind up your ankle." as he worked he looked around at his worn companions. "I don't think we ought to sleep here." he said, "Or at least not all at once. Two of us at least must be on guard at all times." he finished binding Fins ankle, "There, how is that?" He stood and helped Fin to her feet, she tested her foot cautiously. "I think the hunter was with us when we left the cave," Curtis said to Durant. "He must have gone a different direction some time after that." Curtis shrugged.
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2004 09:16
Finn smiled at Curtis, "Thankyou," She looked around her, the forest was darker inside than seemed possible. The canopy of the trees were thicker than she had imagined and let hardly any light pass. The few strands of light that had managed to come through could only be seen, never found, like a rainbow far away. She volunteered to be first on watch while everyone rested, and went to get some firewood, incase it might be needed later. Still limping, Finn went a while away, but sunk weakly behind a tree, leaning against it`s thick bark. One hand clutched at her ankle, keeping it rigid, while she tried vainly to collect the branches around her. After obtaining a few she slowly rose, and headed back to the group. Even this simple job seemed tiring and slow to Finn, but she could not afford to delay everyone, nor would she let her ankle disturb her while doing so...

((Yay! the third page! :disco: ))

[Edited on 23/6/2004 by Star_of_Earendil]
Acheron
Realm of Tulkas Leader
Send Message
on: June 28, 2004 11:35
Elathi had rode off the day before they arrived at the black forest, he had things to do in a small village involving restless spirits and a lot of the dukes men. Anyway when he got back to the forest he found they were already gone and that he would not likely find them on horse back. At nightfall his little friend Faderas crawled from the hunters saddle bag and trasnsformed into his larger form, " I will search for them from the skies and come back to you." he weezed galloping into the air. Elathi trusted his little friends eyes and made a small camp, he fed his horse but started no fire. He did not want to attract the unwanted attention of the fel wolves that were said to roam these woods. Faderas returned an hour later in the thick of darkness, his silver eyes glowed giving away his presence. "Found them, not far but i searched for a long time, come" the now big creature said slowly moving through the forest. The forest was silent except for the crunch of his horses hooves on the blanket of leaves and the steady breathing of his large ferret companion. They arrived at the camp but paused at the edge just to be sure this was actually the right group, one of them caught the glimmer of fire light in Faderas' huge eyes. They were revealed so Elathi nudged his mount and it trotted forth, " sorry were late had some buisiness with a bunch of zombies and twenty or so of the duke's soldiers" he said with a slight smile.
DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2004 11:00
((Oh, good, you're back Acheron! Ok, and yes, I'm still gone, but I have a few spots reserved at the library for computers...Alright, now I have 6 minutes left so I've gotta post quick...Forgive my incredibly crap post! ))

Mette had been trudging along for days. She was hardly aware of what happened. This state of mind reminded her of the city, where she simply lived in a sort of daze, trying to block out the pain around her. It was not pain that surrounded her now, but fear. For she knew not what to expect and was wary of the dark forest they were now in.

((Ahh...gotta go...Sorry))
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2004 12:00
Finn was relieved to see Elathi again, for she wondered about his sudden disapperence. She smiled back at him "Welcome back.. Don`t worry, you haven`t missed much..." She paused for a second, taking in what he had said. "The Duke`s soldiers you say? ...You mean..our King`s...?" She went pale again. She had mentioned it herself, but it still reminded her the penalty of, something most likely to be, death if they were caught. Everyone saw the change in Finn`s expression, but no one said anything about it, for they had been thinking along the same lines. Only Mette seemed confused, but the frightened look that she had always worn since Finn had met her and Durant, had grown even more.

She`s terrified.. Finn thought, looking at the young girl. Mette`s face was white and her lips bright red from the cold. Finn sat slightly away from her, on the other side of the fire, but she could still make out that Mette was shivering-from both fear and the cold. Standing up, Finn moved closer to the girl and sat next to her, "hey, why don`t you move closer to the fire, it`ll warm you up a bit." She said gentle, with a reasurring smile. Mette`s eyes gazed into hers, there she saw something that she had seen before.

Myself when I was younger...

Frightened to death when the guards had taken her to the palace, lonely and confused. The memory of then was too hard for Finn to think about, the pain she had felt, sadness and the feel of panic she felt with everything new.
She flung her arms around the surprised Mette, hugging her tightly, trying to reasure her in someway perhaps, and also because she had felt sorry for the child. The circumstances were hard even for Finn to understand, let alone what it must have been like for Mette. The girl`s skin was cold as ice, and she was stiff, as if unsure of Finn`s action.
But it was what Finn had wished for as a young child, for no one had cared for her. They had just left her to learn, before she could live her own life. All she wanted was for someone to look at her, to help her when she needed help, to talk to her without the false tone of friendliness, to assure her when she was scared- but no one did.
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2004 05:23
Curtis had been asleep when the hunter returned. The deep sleep of one who has run so long is not easy to disturb. slowly he became aware that some one was speaking near by. He raised himself to his elbow and opened his eyes. Elathi has his back to Curtis, the knight was still not sure he trusted the hunter. But then, trust was not one of his stronger virtues, he would keep it to himself and just keep watching, hoping to find a reason to trust.

(Blah i am brain dead and have bad writers block. silly Karendil, if you don’t have anything to say why do you bother posting? :nono: :banghead: ))
Star_of_Earendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2004 06:34
Finn shuffled nearer the fire. Her skin was cold and her face pale. She breathed on her hands trying to warm them. She turned to look around at everyone again. The air seemed heavy and there was nothing she could do about it. A shiver passed down her spine. Theres nothing here but gloom and loneliness... A voice said inside her mind...her voice..
"I'll stay up and watch... Get some sleep, Elathi, Durant, and Mette.." She looked at the already sleeping figure of Curtis, "I'll wake everyone up if something happens.." she paused, thinking, "And I'll wake someone up after a hour or something, to change watch...As I probably need sleep as well." she finished, smiling.
They retreated to their blankets and Finn was left watching the fire, which was growing smaller and smaller. She listened to noise of the fire wood crackling and the trees rustling, along with other noises she heard which made her jumpy- probably some wild animal or something, but nevertheless..
As long as they weren't the guards..
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2004 05:03
Curtis woke with the feeling that he was being watched. He looked around at his comrades. Mette was curled up close to her brother who lay with his arm around her protectively, Dwyn lay against a bank, her dark hair spread like a blanket of shadow over her shoulders. Elathi sat against a tree and appeared to be asleep. Fin sat against a tree stubbornly keeping the watch. Curtis rose silently and went over to where Fin sat.
“Do you have the feeling that some one, or something, is near and watching us?” he said in a low voice as he sat down beside her. She nodded. He looked at her and saw how tired she looked. “I will continue the watch. Take some sleep, though you may not be able to sleep deeply, you must re-gather your strength.” Fin reluctantly agreed and lay down to sleep. Curtis stood and paced slowly around his companions, scanning the woods around them again and again, straining to see anything in their shadows. He saw things moving just out of sight but they always disappeared just as he focused on the spot where they had been. He was always “almost sure” but never sure that some one was out there.

((hint, hint, some one want to join? any one? come one some one jump in!))
SmallestPerson
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2004 10:15
((Thanks for the hint, Karendil! I have been really wanting to join, but I wasn't sure when! I hope there is nothing wrong with my post or anything. If there is, just tell me. Oh, and it is alright if I join, right...? :heart: ))

Lilith quickly and silently picked her way through the dark, thick woods. She carefully avoided the rotting logs and thorny brambles. By using the low tree branches she managed to climb most of her way around. The Black Forest was not the easiest place to navigate through, but after about two weeks Lilith had gotten rather good at it. The girl wore a plain white dress cut off at the knees to make maneuvering through the woods less cumbersome. Over the dress she wore a light brown, hooded cloak. In this she had cut arm-slits, also to make things a little easier. She continued to creep on, as silently as she could. Once when trying to climb over a fallen tree she slipped and cut her foot on a sharp root. Testily she brushed her long brown hair out of her face and examined the hurt. The leather of her brown shoes had been ripped, and a little blood showed through the tear. Lilith cursed under her breath (something she did only when no one was around even though she tried to break herself of the habit). Her shoes really were looking worse for the wear, and she wasn't sure how much longer she must hide out in the forest before she felt it safe to emerge. A sigh escaped her lips and with a determined look she went on. About two weeks ago Lilith had been one of the Kings many servants (or, slaves, as she soon learned to see them as). She was young when she was first sent to him, and she was put into the care of Marell, the cranky herb-woman. Over the years Lilith had learned much about medicine. She often cared for the sick in the palace, and, even more often, was found bathing and dressing the terrible beating wounds inflicted on servants. She remembered how she would cry for hours after tending the brutal gashes on the backs of sobbing children and innocent servants. Lilith was somewhat sensitive and cried much more often than she liked to admit. Her tears shamed her terribly, for she herself had never been whipped. But she couldn't help them.
A few years later, when Lilith was almost seventeen, the king came to hear of her ability to write quickly and beautifully. She was whisked away from Marell and made a secretary. Soon, as the king noticed how fast she was able to write, Lilith was put in charge of taking down his business (and even sometimes personal) letters. She still slipped out of her room at night to sooth the wounds of the slaves who had been whipped, and doing so still made her cry.
As a secretary Lilith was a quiet and diligent worker and, as a result, was never whipped but once.
That one time was enough.
In nature Lilith was merry and joyful despite the unhappy palace life. The king, however, was not. Every once in a while, while writing for the master, Lilith would smile and hum under her breath to make her work more enjoyable. Most times she was able to conceal her mirth well, but this particular time she was thinking of an amusing story that a young guard had told her the night before, and she couldn't help but smile to herself. The king (in an especially bad mood) saw it and yelled out her name. Lilith's head jerked up, but she forgot to remove that silly little smile from her face. The king was enraged, sure that he was being mocked to his face. The next thing she knew, Lilith was on her knees, her breath nearly beaten out of her by the sharp whips.
That night, Lilith lay on her small cot and cried quietly. Not so much from the pain on her back as from the pain in her heart. Marell had grudgingly dressed her cuts with a healing salve, but the girl was confused, saddened, and, this time, angered by the cruelty of the king. Lilith had seen a little of the lands outside the palace grounds before she was sold to the king and she knew that there were better places with kinder people. She had witnessed this and it pained her to think of herself and countless others wasting their lives under the king's bitter whip.
So she ran away. It was not hard...just tell the guard that she needed to go out and gather some more sorrel or comfrey. She had done this so many times that the guards pretty much let her go where she wished. After all, she had never attempted escape before. She hadn't really thought of it. She had no where to go. At least she was fed and protected at the palace. But this time her anger and distress overruled all her more sensible thoughts. She cautiously made her way into the Black Forest and stayed there for two weeks, always afraid of being discovered and forced to return. She hoped that maybe the king (after being so offended) didn't care where she went as long as she had been beaten beforehand, but she still felt safer under cover of the wood than out in the open.
Lilith paused for a moment and shimmied up a tree for a better view of where she was going. She pulled her hair out of her eyes and peered through the darkness. Yes! There it was! She had seen a fire. There was a dim glow far off into the trees. A shiver of terror went down Lilith's spine. She wondered who it was. It didn't look much like the king's guard, but she wasn't sure. Still, she wanted to find out.
Lilith rubbed her skinny arms to warm them. All of Lilith was rather skinny these days. Spending two weeks in the Black Forest would make anyone a little thin. Especially someone like Lilith who couldn't hunt worth anything, and so found meager sustenance in plants and bits of bread that she had swiped before she left.
There it was now...about fifteen feet from where she hid was a small fire surrounded by what looked like sleeping figures. As silently as she could Lilith climbed into a tree until she could see clearly. There was a man sitting by the small fire. She couldn't see his face, for she was behind him. These did not look at all like the king's guards. Suddenly she noticed that the man was looking about as if he had heard something. She began hastily, but quietly climbing down from the tree. She had already made too much noise and she didn't want to be discovered. She turned to go, but the buckle of her shoe caught on a broken root and she tripped and fell with a crash of leaves and branches. Very frightened Lilith tried to get up and run, but she found herself caught and entangled in sharp brambles. She thought she heard a cry of surprise come from the man by the fire. Finding in her terror nothing else to do, Lilith flung both her arms over her head and awaited her discovery.

((My goodness! That is long! I won't inflict such torture on you all again, I promise! I shall be short and sweet from now on.))
Karendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2004 05:18
((thank you for taking my hint, Smallestperson. I was about to give up hope that any one would join :love: .))

Curtis jumped to his feet at the sound of a crash in the nearby underbrush. He crept cautiously towards the sound only stopping to gently shake one or two of his companions.
"What is it?" Durant asked softly.
Curtis pointed, "Something is out there."
The knight slipped out of the circle of the fire light and into the darkness of the surrounding woods. He put his hand down to draw his sword.... no sword. He drew his dagger. Elathi came up behind him with a burning branch from the fire, he held it up to see the figure trembling on the ground. Curtis squinted in the dancing light. The girl looked vaguely familiar. "We won't hurt you." he said. the girl did not appear to be likely to pose any great threat. He knelt down to get a closer look, the stranger struggled, caught in the thick bramble, she could not shrink away from his hand with out long thorns digging into her. He drew her hair away from her face. "you're.... the scribe?" He asked. She looked up at him. He was unsure if she would recognize him from the castle, and even if she did there was no telling if she would trust him. He began to cut away the thorns that held her. She saw the blade and her body stiffened. "I won't hurt you." he said again, "hold still a moment. There" He finished, sheathed his dagger and stood, offering a hand to the young woman. She rose on her own, still not quite at ease. "You look hungry. Come, we have some little food to share." He led the way back to their fire. The knight glanced at Durant with a smile "What is it with girls and tree branches?" He winked at Dwyn who sat up watching.

((hope I did not ues any ones character too much I don't know how many of the characters still have time to post right now (allot of people are out of town and away from their computers)) so this might move pretty slowly))
SmallestPerson
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2004 08:08
((Yay! I'm in! Cool. :disco: I'll put Lilith in the DB soon. ))

Lilith allowed herself to be led to the fire. She quietly (and thankfully) ate the food that she was given. She looked over at the man who had helped her. He had recognized her. Lilith saw his face better in the firelight, and instantly knew him. He was a knight at the palace. Curtis was his name. Lilith had no fears about him taking her back to the king. If he were sent by the master, there would have been no gentleness; no kind words; no food. As she studied his face closer, Lilith also recognized him from something else. He was the guard that had let her out when she had escaped. She blushed at the recollection and wondered if he remembered. Lilith looked around at the others in the group. Her heart leaped as she remembered some of them from the palace. Were they run-aways as well? It seemed too good to be possible. She nearly let out a small gasp when she saw Dwyn. Lilith had healed her of many a cruel beating, and she had found the woman to be quite kind in return. She also knew she had seen the other girl and the boy and his sister, and though she struggled to recall their names, she couldn't find them. The only one she did not recognize was the hunter, which caused her to feel a little uneasy of him.

Lilith brushed her hair back hesitantly and decided to take a risk. "My name is Lilith," she said. "And I have escaped from the king."

((Sorry. I'm not feeling very creative today.))
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email