Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
Post Fans Over Forty RPG ~ OoC Discussion
on: June 11, 2004 11:48
This is for discussing our Fans Over Forty RPG. As it indicates, we would like to keep it to members of that age since we have been discussing it in the FoF thread in the Prancing Pony. Thank you for understanding. :love:

We will need to decide some things first such as which Forum it will be in:

Totally Tolkien
Tolkien Related
Non-Tolkien

Once that has been determined, we need to discuss what we will be doing in the story and then you can decide what character(s) you plan to use or create. Please list those character's name here and a link to their profile in the Database. Please DO NOT post their profile in this thread.

Then we need to give the thread a good title and once we have established all of these things, I'll start the actual RP.

Remember, all comments, questions and ideas, regardless of how silly you might think them be, are welcome! I SO remember being new to RP and actually shaking the first time I posted! So nothing is silly or stupid or not worth asking. If you don't want to post it here, you can always PM me. And, I'm on MSN at [email protected].

So, Rangers Of The FoF (hmmm... that might be a good title...), "What say you?"
:feedback:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Fans Over Forty RPG ~ OoC Discussion
on: June 11, 2004 01:34

:cheers: I think that's a great name. I will be so over my head creatively speaking, but I'm willing to jump in with both feet! (furry though they may be!)
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2004 03:35

Rangers of the FoF (Rotfof) I'm all for it. Sounds great to me, too.

I think we should make it Tolkien related since Scots and I are beginners. If we go non-Tolkien we could run into some weird sinarios and I'd rather stay in the realm of Middle Earth. My gosh, I just read some of your RP Character descriptions. I'm gonna really have to put on my thinking cap for this. Also, we need to determine what time frame we will be playing in. Pre-Bilbo, Pre-LOTR, 1st age, 2nd age, 3rd age? I don't think the Rangers came along until what, about the early part of the 3rd age?

[Edited on 12/6/2004 by Lothien_Vilya]
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2004 07:23
Balrog here. I would like to join. I have never been on a RP before. I also think that FoF is a great title.

Count me in. :cheers:

I agree with Lothien that it should be Tolkien related.

[Edited on 12/6/2004 by balrog]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2004 04:08
After some discussion, I would like some thought given to the Totally Tolkien way to go. We all know Tolkien pretty well, given that most of us have been reading it for years. Even if we haven't, it could be fun too. What say you?

[Edited on 13/6/2004 by scots56]
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 12, 2004 04:37
Considering that we all know Tolkien's works so well, I would like to suggest we have our thread in Totally Tolkien.

In talking with another writer, she mis-understood that to be in Totally Tolkien we have to use Tolkien characters... That isn't true. Here is the description of TT:

The RP Threads are set in Tolkien's world and contain Tolkien races with powers/abilities that Tolkien describes.

You may use your own Character but please keep its abilities/ possessions (No Unicorns for example) to those true to Tolkien's works.

So, what do you think? Does this make any difference? Do we want our characters to have powers that Tolkien's world didn't have? Do we want character types that are not in Tolkien's world? These are the questions you need to answer before we decide where we go. As I am want to do, I will go with the majority, but I just wanted to clear up this confusion.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2004 05:43
After reading what Totally Tolkien means, I would prefer TT. I think that it would be kind of fun to do what they did in ME. We all have read Tolkien's work and know what ME looks and feels like.

I have played a role playing game with a character I created but it was based on a Dungoens and Dragons kind of game. I also think that we should keep the powers of TT to Tolkien's work. It would be fun to create a character and see what people our age can congure up. This should be great. :rolling:

I also agree with Lothien that we should decide what time period we are going to use. Maybe we should use the time frame after LOTR. We all know the story so maybe we can continue the story. Maybe bring back some of the characters in another life. They did go to the Grey Havens to be reborn did they not?

How many other agree with some of the questions? :feedback: to the FoF.
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2004 09:05
Maybe we should use the time frame after LOTR. We all know the story so maybe we can continue the story. Maybe bring back some of the characters in another life. They did go to the Grey Havens to be reborn did they not?

The one draw back to the 4th age is what evil injustice shall we face. The last Balrog is dead. Sauron is gone. All that is left is to clean Orcs out of Moria and get the Dwarves back in there to clean it up and rebuild. Rebuilding everything that was destroyed in the years of the evil reign of Saurons dark power! At this moment I can't conjure up an event where Rangers and Hobbits and elves would be able to go about doing great heroic deeds. :yawn: The wheels are churning now. Maybe I had better read the appendices again more seriously this time. I will go along with the majority.

I don't have a major problem playing in the 4th age, most everyone but Boromir is left at the end of the book. Well, sort of! Frodo and Gandalf and the elves that are to leave do hang around for a little while. And even after the departure at the Grey Havens members of the fellowship do remain for a time. Wouldn't it be lovely to sit with the Hobbits at the Green Dragon and reminisce? Then we could journey to Gondor and Rohan to visit old comrades. Stopping along the way to visit other folks. Ents, Old Tom B. I would have rather have played a part in the War with Sauron, but if the 4th age is what everyone wants, I'm there.

One thing that is helping me with some of these thoughts is the David Day book Guide to Tolkien's World. I haven't gotten very far and have just been skimming for the present. But the thing that I like so much is in the beginning is a map of ME and the Undying Lands. This is followed by a Chronology of ME and the Undying Lands. After that is a Chronology of the Kingdoms of ME. If you don't have this book, at least go to your local book store and have a look at it. Really helps put a lot of things into perspective for me. Also a little helpful in thinking about character development. I've already come up with a few ideas, but they will depend on what age we settle in. This website has so many helpful places to go to decide on things. I even went to the Armory this morning.

This is a decission that needs to be made soon. It will make a difference in how characters are developed, won't it?

Totally Tolkien is okay with me.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 13, 2004 06:38
After reading your posts, I have a couple of things for you to consider:

Whether we choose the Third or Fourth Age, WE create the *injustice* we want to encounter. The threads I've been involved in have existed just after or a few years after or 40 years after the War of the Ring, and believe me, we've fought Orcs, Goblins, and Dwarves and Istari who have turned to the Dark Side.

Few of these threads have included any of the characters that Tolkien created. And as long as we stay with *like* characters and powers of his books, we can be as creative as we want to be. We are limited only by our imaginations.

We don't have to worry about whether any of the book characters are in our adventure. And yet, if you wish, we can include them.

I have a suggestion: If you have MSN, please list it here or PM it to me if you don't want everyone to have access to it. If you don't have it, it is free and easy to get. Just go to MSN Messenger to sign up. All you need is a valid e-mail account, or, if you wish, you can sign up for a hotmail account which is also free.

If everyone does this, then we can meet on MSN to discuss this in real time. It might be easier than posting here. Also, it will provide the vehicle for our future *Live RP* sessions... That, in my opinion, is THE best way to write together!

Let me know what you think. A session on MSN should sort out all of our questions/ideas/opinions and get us going on the RP.

I kinda like *Rangers of the FoF* too for a title. Sounds like a serious group out to rid Middle~Earth of Evil:

Fearless Or Fearful
Fearless Old Friends
Faithful Old Friends
Fans Out (for) Fun

Ok, you get the idea.

Comments? Questions? Concerns?
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 13, 2004 02:13
Yes, I'm back...

Well, I've been doing some sleuthing and found balrog's MSN so all I need is shireling's...

Here are the writers so far:

scots56
Lothien_Vilya
balrog
Rosearialelven, who posted in the FoF thread not here yet...
shireling, who Lothien says wants to join.

I spoke with Lothien today and she had a good idea that fits with balrog's of having the thread after LotR. Like, right after Aragorn's coronation and wedding to Arwen.

Our characters are all there because of course they all fought in the war in some capacity or another, and of course rode with Aragorn to the Black Gates and back. Now they are all headed home.

I'll suggest, and remember all of this is just something for you to think about until we can meet on MSN to work it out for sure, that we start out by heading west towards Rohan, maybe stop there to refresh our supplies and stay a few days with Éomer and his new wife, Princess Lothíriel of Dol Amroth. Then on to Isengard, where on the way we might encounter a rogue band of Orcs; a visit with Treebeard in Fangorn; up the Anduin to Goldie's home of Lothlórien, across the Misty Mountains to Imladris and on to Bree and eventually to The Shire, stopping of course to visit Tom and Goldberry along the way.

Also, I've come up with a few more names:

Forgers (funny ~ that word has two very different meanings...) of Freedom
Friends of Freedom
Freedom on Fridays

Ok, that's enough!

Since Rosearialelven lives in England and is 8 hours ahead of me and usually is able to meet on MSN at 10:30 am my time, I'm going to suggest a possible time and day for us to meet. Please let me know whether this works for you or not...

Wednesday, June 16th

10:30 am Pacific Time (me)
11:30 am Mountain Time (scots56 & shireling)
12:30 pm Central Time (Lothien
1:30 pm Atlantic Time
6:30 pm Greenwich Time (Rose)

I know this is a couple of days away but I have prior commitments until then... Hopefully it will give you time to work on your characters and think about our timeline for the thread.

There is another thread you might be interested in reading because it just started. It's called "Dark Wings". I have Claur (Goldie's Mother) and Maethor in it. It is set late in the Third Age and it will give you more of an idea of how our characters interact or reference existing characters and places.

As always, questions/comments/ideas?

And if anyone else from FoF or is over 40 wants to join in, please do so!!!
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2004 04:46
This is brandywine, I typed a post in FoF but I was downloading MSN Messenger at the same time and it got lost somewhere. I would also like to join the RP. I like the ideas suggested so far as it means I won't have to go too far out of my comfort (or knowledge) zone to participate. ME right after the coronation sounds great. The June 16th day and time work for me. I am in shireling's time zone. Looking forward to learning something new.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2004 06:38
I agree with Nenya. We should continue after the coronation because we have 4 years to play with till Frodo and Gandalf go the Grey Havens.

I am also in Lothien's time zone and this Wednesday is fine with me. I usually have Wednesday's off at work.:cheers:

I also agree with MSN. It will be a lot easier to play then in here.

[Edited on 14/6/2004 by balrog]
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2004 01:23
:sob: Rats, Rats, Rats. I won't be able to talk on Wednesday. I am SUCH a lucky girl that I get to go to an assessment workshop that day. Monday thru Wednesday in fact. Let me know what you guys decide and I'll follow right along. Also, I'm in the Central Time Zone in my part of Nebraska.

:feedback:
My character's name is Elfstan Fairbairn. He's a hobbity kind of a guy. You can check him out in the database, just remember that he's still a work in progress. I've made him kind of young, but that is still open to change. If the group is starting out from Minas Tirith, then maybe he would have been there as an emissary from the Shire to the wedding. Well, since he's young, maybe he accompanied someone older and decided to travel with this group back home instead of his original group.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 14, 2004 05:47
I'm glad to see you're joining us, brandywine!

I'm sorry you won't be able to join us, scots56... Hopefully we'll have enough participants to make some decisions to get us on the road. Your character is very creative! We can designate him the Head Chef. At least, I assume he can cook what he finds...

Here is a link to the Lord of the Rings Litmus Test to see if your character is a Mary Sue. Although it says it's for female characters, it can work just as well for male characters. It will give you an idea of whether or not you are creating an original character with flaws or you've created a Mary or Harry Sue. You'll understand what I mean when you take the test. Have fun!
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2004 10:55
I may be a little late to join the party on Wed., but I'll be there. I have to come home from work to play. I don't have messaging capabilities and the company I work for keeps track of these kinds of things. I think I better come home! I'm only working 1/2 days this week.

I'm so excited.

Friends of Freedom - has that FoF feel to it. :disco:
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2004 12:40
Hi everyone, thought I'd better post here.

Everything people have said sounds good. As Goldie knows I'm ok for the time and place.

As far as a character is concerned, hmm, let me think. *snaps her fingers*. I know I'll be a dwarf.

I'll get cracking on a bio for my dwarven friend and let you know who he is.

Looking forward to our adventure.

[Edited on 19/6/2004 by Rosearialelven]
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 14, 2004 02:45
Rose ~ So glad to see that you will be joining us!

brandywine and shireling ~ Will you please PM me your MSN's before Wednesday morning if possible so I can add you in to our discussion? I don't want you to miss out.

I'm very much looking forward to our first meeting! :love:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2004 02:08

Here is a link to the Lord of the Rings Litmus Test to see if your character is a Mary Sue. Although it says it's for female characters, it can work just as well for male characters.

He's a borderline Harry Sue. It was kind of hard to answer some of the questions as we really haven't begun yet. He has Sam's grandson's name, but at least he's not a long-lost grandson. I just thought it was a cool name. :love:
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2004 02:22
My dwarf's bio is in the RPG Character Database. His name is Káin.

I like Elfstan, Scots56. Sounds a really solid little hobbit, someone you'd want standing at your back. :love:

See you all on Wednesday. Hope you can make it. :love:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2004 02:40
Can I have him apprenticed to a fictional hobbit master healer? Did they have those kind of things? I don't remember coming across them, but you would think they would be around somewhere. Not that he has any powers or anything, just knows about the healing properties of herbs and plants. Or does that go beyond what we're allowed to do in Totally Tolkien?
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 15, 2004 03:04
I don't see why not. Although Tolkien never spoke about specific healers, who cared for those who were injured in "The Scouring of the Shire"? I would assume they had people who were doctor/nurse type Hobbits. And like you say, he won't have any "powers".
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 16, 2004 08:55
Ok! After a fun meeting with balrog, Lothien and me, and Rose after a little bit, we're on our way! You can check out the thread at Returning Home: The Journey in Totally Tolkien. (Adventure name courtesy of Rose!)

It has been decided that once each person has introduced their character and everyone has gathered at the *Adventure Inn* , we will get together on MSN for a Live RP session to have our characters interact on a *real* basis and make some decisions about where we are going. So, read the posts and introduce your character.

As always, any comments/questions/ideas are most welcome!
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2004 11:39
*sitting quietly at her desk, Lothien begins to rethink her character Siladan a bit.*
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2004 11:10
So Sorry I missed the discussion. I am so new at this I don't even know what it is I'm supposed to give you for you to have me in the discussion. Maybe I'd best sit out for awhile until I have time to figure out what I'm doing. I feel like a tiny Hobbit lost in a very big world. Have a great time. See you in FoF.
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 18, 2004 07:16
Goldie has been working on her map so that you can be prepared for your character's discussion on Sunday.
Remember, the times are:

10:00 AM West Coast ~ Me
11:00 AM Mountain ~ Brandywine and Shireling
12:00 Noon Central ~ Balrog, Lothien and Scots56
6:00 PM ~ Rose

Here is the map and the route that Goldie will propose. It is up for discussion, change, whatever, and I can modify it easily when we're through on Sunday.

Below the Map are the approximate miles between places and approximate number of days it will take to get there based on a horse riding 50 miles a day.

Also remember, the fellowship walked a lot of these miles!!! Yikes!!!

From the bottom right corner where we begin:

Minas Tirith to Edoras ~ 300 miles ~ 6 days

Edoras to Helms Deep ~ 75 miles ~ 1.5 days

Helms Deep to Isengard ~ 80 miles ~ 1.5 days

Isengard to Fangorn ~ 100 miles ~ 2 days

Fangorn to Lothlórien ~ 200 miles ~ 4 days

Lothlórien to Old Forest Road ~ 250 miles ~ 5 days

Old Forest Road to Rivendell ~ 175 miles ~ 3.5 days

Rivendell to Bree ~ 300 miles ~ 6 days

Bree to Hobbiton ~ 125 miles ~ 2.5 days

That's a total of 1,391 miles and 32 days!!!

And that doesn't count stopping over for a few days here and there to check things out, the occasional accidents, distractions, or Orc fights on the way.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2004 03:51
I'm sure glad we're on horseback, or in Elfstan's case, pony back. His poor little hobbit feet would be really tired at the end of the day. See ya on Sunday.
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2004 09:04
Have you guys read the Appendices of LOTR? There is a listing of DATED events in I think App. B. Tells the Date of when all the Major events occurred. Down to and including the 'fellowships' date of the return trip home. Is it possible that we incorporate the Dates into our story order for our paths to 'closely' coincide with theirs? Possibly to encounter them briefly, not interacting much, but just adding story line to our Journey?

One entry: " July 19, 3019 (third age) The funeral escort of King Théoden sets out." From Minas Tirith.
"August 10 - Funeral of King Théoden." That journey for them is approx. 13.7 miles per day. We must think about our journey to Edoras to coincide with the dates if we intend to attend the funeral!

This means we have to set out on our journey and make sure we arrive in Edoras in time for the 'funeral banquet' either held the night before or the day of the funeral. Gandalf and Pippin on Shadowfax made the journey in three days! I don't think our horses will be quite that fast! Especially the little ponies of the Hobbits! LOL

These are just thoughts for our time frame of journey. I think after the funeral of Théodan we can set our own time schedule as we please, but it would be nice to remember the key dates 'as Tolkien wrote them.' I think it would be nice IF we could be in Rivendall while the Hobbits are there. It would be fun to be in the Hall of Fire and at least say, "They feasted in the great hall of Elrond with Bilbo, Frodo and the other members of the Fellowship." There they could possibly converse with Gandalf on their journey. Either as a group or as individual conversations.

Well, I'm going off to do other things now. But the wheels will probably just keep churning!

Lothien
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 19, 2004 09:12
Lothien ~ I think that is a fine idea! Will you take on the responsibility of The Date Master and keep us aware of these dates so we don't miss anything? It would be very helpful to The Journey & Map Master.

What say you?
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2004 09:18
Indeed! I can do that! Thank you for asking!

Lothien
The Date Master - WOW
brandywine
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2004 11:52
Okay, After lots of MSN ing and trying to figure things out, I have a character and he is ready. He is not a Harry Sue (did the Litmus test) (scored below 15). I think I am ready. Made the character low key so that he can be kind of in the background until he figures out what he's doing there in the first place. I am headed to the actual role play thread now to see if I can get into the Inn.
brandywine
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 20, 2004 09:49
Aiya Everyone ~

Wow! That was wonderful! And a first for me! I have only Live RP'd with two others at one time so to watch all of you and your creativity come to life was sooo much fun!!!

Here is the order in which to forward the post:

brandywine (who has it now)
balrog
Lothien_Vilya
Rosearialelven
scots56
NenyaGold

Please remember that if you write a post, don't post it until AFTER this one has been posted. We don't want to get ahead of ourselves.

And our next meeting is:

Sunday, June 27th
10:00 California time

And as I said earlier, if you need any help or have questions or ideas, please PM me or catch me on MSN.

*hugs to all!!!*

~Goldie~
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2004 11:57
Trying agin! Boy my computer is being a toad today! Hey fellow travellers, well met and yeehaw! This is fantastic! My character is in the DB now if anyone wants to meet her. Her name is Tanzywood Furfoot. It won't let me edit my grammar errors so read it with one eye and a lot of patience, please. See you all next Sun. Sérë, Shireling

[Edited on 26/7/2004 by shireling]
NenyaGold
Send Message
on: June 22, 2004 10:49
Just curious ~ Who has the mega post for editing? Hopefully it's moving on its way. :love:

And are you working on co-Live RP posts or individual ones to post after the mega one has been posted?

Shireling and I meet Friday afternoon to get her character into the story and I'm looking forward to Sunday too!!!

Will you let me know if you CANNOT make it to the meeting so we aren't waiting? That would be great!

Thank you all!!!

Oh, and if you don't already have this thread e-mailing you when someone posts in it you might want to because this is where all the meeting notices and other important info will continue to be posted.
Lothien_Vilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2004 12:24
Janell and Siladan had a long conversation after our Live RP on Sunday. She has it right now for editing. Hopefully one of us will be able to post it as soon as the Mega post has been posted. I haven't seen the MEGA post yet.

Is it Sunday, YET!
bellemaine
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2004 03:06
Hello, All! The character Bellemaine (marginally Mary Sue at 17 points) is in the database. Rosearialelven and Goldie are helping me play catch up. See you Sunday!

Regards,

B.

[Edited on 25/6/2004 by bellemaine]
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email