Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Wish of Simplicity
on: November 04, 2004 10:46
'Yes, i thought so too.' She smiled at Calia and stood up. They walked out of the tavern together and followed Rowan. He was quite far ahead of them. They walked towards him and saw Elfwyn and Orfeo talking to a strange man. A weird feeling creeped up. Nah, she put the feeling away and walked towards the group just as they were leaving. 'Wait, We're coming too.' She called over to them.
toastedlembas
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2004 06:06
Trum watched disinterestedly as Calia and Larewen both left the tavern, leaving only himself and Thalialen. It’s quite interesting how everyone decides to get up and leave at once… He wasn’t particularly bothered though, as there was still an abundance of food and drink to keep him occupied. Trum got himself another ale at the bar before again relaxing in his seat, waiting for the group’s inevitable return.

Elfwyn’s reassuring smiles apparently did not work on Rowan. Upon being spoken to, he had frozen up, and then proceeded to babble when his tongue was loosened. Relief washed over Elfwyn when he voiced his last question; that was at least coherent, and could be responded to. She wasn’t sure what she would have done otherwise. An answer to his question came to mind easily. “Well Rowan, we certainly were at peace. However, some enemies seem to prefer popping up unexpectedly…”

Seeing the worry in his eyes, Elfwyn attempted reassurance once again, this time placing a friendly hand on his shoulder and looking him in the eye. “Do not be troubled. King Eomer will surely know what to do when word reaches him. We will all be safe.”

She gave his shoulder a little squeeze before withdrawing her hand, and then turned to walk back to the tavern. Upon turning, she witnessed the arrival of Calia and Larewen, who had both, apparently, left the tavern. Before anyone could really say anything, Larewen proclaimed, “Wait, we’re coming too.”

Elfwyn smiled, almost knowingly. She would not have wanted to be left behind either. “Yes, you both are certainly coming, as we are all headed back to the tavern. This man has brought with him some news, and we intend to provide him food and drink before we hear the full story. Then we may think of leaving…”

Silently, Elfwyn began to lead the way back up the hill, recent conversations beginning to bring ideas forth. Would this man’s news really bring cause for her to leave the village? An attack on another village was a certifiable reason to go to the king, but she probably wouldn’t be the one to go…that would be Orfeo’s task, doubtlessly. Both of the elves would probably go with him…and Trum too. He would feel duty-bound, one-way or another. That leaves Rowan, Thalialen, and myself to stay here. But I do not want to be left behind!! I want to see the world!! Or at least, I think I do…

All in a muddle, Elfwyn stepped into the tavern and made her way over to their table. Everyone else followed and took their respective seats. Orfeo pulled up an extra chair for the stranger, and then proceeded to order him some beef stew and an ale. The man had not spoken since he addressed Orfeo at the bottom of the hill, but he cleared his throat and did so now, “My name is Ricellen. And yes, I would certainly like a drink.”
Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 07, 2004 11:42
'oh.' larewen said a bit dissapointed, she kind of expected to see some action.
Back in the tavern she asked what everybody who didnt know yet, was wondering: 'Hello Ricellen, what brings you here?'
willowluvstara13
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2004 04:09
Calia smiles, then looks concerned. "There hasn't been another attack, has there?"
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2004 01:17
"Ah, yes, Ricellen. I remember now. We met last year when my uncle qas making his annual survey of the surrounding villages." Orfeo quickly ordered some ale for the man, then sat down at the table. Ricellen followed suit. "Now tell me from the beginning."
Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2004 10:50
'Attack? What kinds of Attack? Where.' Larewen asked. If there was anything wrong, she would go and fight with the people.
Clementine
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2004 12:14
The two elves had left, then shortly returned but with a much larger group. Orfeo, Elfwyn, Rowan and a stranger returned. Thalialen gave Trum a confused look. From his expression, he didn't know who this man was either. People were asking him different questions, there was mention of an attack. Thalialen reacted to this idea with shock. There hadn't been any news of attacks since the Great War which had ended before she had even been born. Middle Earth had been living in peace for all Thalialen knew.

Now tell me from the beginning.

Orfeo knew the man and the whole group grew silent to hear the stranger's story.
toastedlembas
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2004 02:38
Trum was considerably bewildered by all of the noise that suddenly erupted around him when the group re-entered. The elves were spouting off about some sort of attack. An attack? How could this be possible?! But Trum asked no questions, for he knew that the answers would come with time. They always had in the past. Trum reclined as Ricellen opened his mouth, ready to tell his news at last.

Ricellen started tentatively, not sure how to break the news. "As I said before, my village was attacked. It was the Haradrim that done it. There's some sort of uprising away in their homeland; we got a messenger about that about an hour before the attack. He was on his way to Edoras to warn King Eomer, but he surely won't be getting there soon, for I saw him get cut down by those foreign raiders. I guess I'll be the one to get the news there, but I'd rather get back to my village soon. The rebuilding efforts will probably need as many hands as they can get..."

At this last statement, Ricellen gave Orfeo a pleading look. He would go on if Orfeo gave the order to, but he dearly hoped that there was another solution. He so desperately wanted to make sure that everything was all right at home...

((Ricellen will not be coming with us. I don't really care how you work it past that, but he's not coming with us. I intend to leave him to recuperate in the village.))
Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2004 12:55
'Where was the attack? how is the village called?' Larewen had already made up her mind. She'd go to the village and help in whatever way she could. She'd heal people and repair houses and if something more could be done, she would.
willowluvstara13
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2004 05:49
Calia smiles at Ricellen reassuringly. "Ypu have the full support and assistance of myself and my husband. Whatever you need, we'll help with. Haldir should ne here within the day."
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2004 10:11
"I am sorry for your loss," Orfeo said. "It's strange that the Haradrim could pass through Gondor and attack us without any knowledge of anyone." He sighed. "I'm afraid, I'm going to have to take this matter up with my uncle, Lord Erkenbrand, Marshall of the West-Mark. Ricellen, will you please tell y uncle what you just told me? After that, you may return to your village. No doubt you have loved ones to look after." He looked at his new friends. "I'm sorry to have to cut our meeting short, but there are pressing matters at hand," he paused," unless you wish to join me. That matter is completely up to you, but I must leave now."
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2004 11:13
Rowan was silent as the story was told, a heavy feeling settling in his chest. He looked at Trum, who he sat next too. The older man worried as well. Rowan lowered his head and looked at the table.

"I will go with you, Orfeo." he finally said in a soft, but determined voice.
willowluvstara13
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2004 04:01
(Just for reference, I will manage both Calia and Haldir from here on)
Suddenly, the door opens and a tall blonde man enters. Calia glances up. "Haldir, over here!" She smiles as he approaches. "everyone, this is Haldir, my husband."

Haldir smiles. "It's nice to meet you all."
Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2004 12:47
[is he early? i thought he didnt arive till the next day]
'Goodday Haldir, How are you my friend?' Larewen stood up and gave Haldir a hug. 'How come you are here now?' Larewen got a chair and put it next to Calia. 'Here, sit down.' Larewen sat down too and took a sip from her drink.
willowluvstara13
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2004 03:39
(I completely forgot that, so yeah, he's early.)

Haldir smiles. "Larewen, it's good to see you. I finished Lord Celeborns buisness early, so I decided to come find my wife. I trust she has been behaving herself?"

Calia's eyes sparkle. "Haldir! Of course I have! We are needed in a nearby village. Are you willing to help? Because I'm going with or without you."
Haldir nods. "Of course I'll go with you."
toastedlembas
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2004 03:30
((Clementine, I waited to post in case you posted, but sadly, I’m not all that patient. Sorry! I used your reaction from the OOC thread to determine some actions for Thalialen. I hope it’s all right with you.))

Trum bowed his head as he heard the news of Ricellen. Though he knew no one from that village personally, he was grieved for their loss. It could be difficult to rebuild a life, and he knew it well. Thalialen looked saddened as well, and Elfwyn had certainly lost her usual verve. Every person he looked at seemed to feel the loss of Ricellen and his village. That everyone seemed to be sympathetic was at least a small comfort, showing that there was still good in the world.

Elfwyn listened silently to the discussion about her. Everything seemed to be falling out as she thought it would. Orfeo announced that he would be leaving, and the elves both said that they would go to help. A curve was thrown her way, however, when Rowan announced that he would be going with Orfeo as well. Elfwyn turned her eyes to him. Still he looked scared, but at the same time, he was determined. A decision immediately came to Elfwyn, though she thought it had already been made for her. She would not be left behind. “I’ll be going too! That is…if Trum will allow it…”

She looked to her brother pleadingly. He had not yet announced his decision, but she knew that he would go, and it would break her heart if he decided that she could not.

Trum took his time in deciding. So much new information was coming to him at once! He shook his head a bit to clear it, and then spent the next few minutes in silence. He could feel Elfwyn’s eyes on him, and knew how sad she would be to be left behind. For he knew that he himself would be going; there had been little consideration needed for that. But the safety of his sister was at stake. Yet she would not want to come if she thought she could not handle it…I will trust her instincts.

He looked up at Elfwyn, his gaze steady, and nodded, knowing that the message would get across. She looked elated, and it made Trum happy to see it. He uttered his decision aloud, for those that did not know his dedication as well as she did. “I too shall be going, and my sister does have my blessing to come along.”

Trum looked to Thalialen, who had not yet spoken. She looked tortured inside, and unsure of what to do. He respectfully remained silent, knowing how he hated to have his own thoughts disturbed. At last, she too seemed to have come to a decision. In her quiet voice, she spoke, saying as little as possible to get the point across, “I also will be coming.”

Orfeo nodded in satisfaction. “Good, this is very good. Everyone get ready to leave. We shall be off to see my uncle soon.”
Jaid_Skywalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2004 06:50
Rowan nodded and quickly left. He ran all the way home, his light feet pounding on the dusty road.

Entering the small one room house he and his father inhabited behind the blacksmithing shop he climbed up into the narrow loft he used as a bedroom. He grabbed a leather bag and carefully folded the blanket that covered his hay bed and put it in, following it with his extra set of clothes and his good tunic, as well as his more worn pair of shoes.

Climbing back down, he hesitated, then put a few provisions in the bag. Grabbing his cloak on the way out, he walked towards the blacksmithing shop. With a sinking heart, he realized he still didn't know how to explain this to his father.

Cuamin was just finishing Trum's spade when Rowan entered. THe tall man stood up straight and gave his son a broad smile. Rowan smiled back weakly. Cuamin frowned slighlty, taking in the cloak and traveling bag. "Goin' somewhere?"

"There was a village nearby destroyed by the Haradrim." Rowan said quietly. "A group is goin' to Orfeo's uncle, to tell him what has happened. That way, King Eomer can be told and such." he looked up and met his father's dark eyes with his own blue ones. "I am goin' with them."

Cuamin's lips pursed. "Rowan..."

"I need to." Rowan said softly, but determinedly. "The man who came - Ricellen - his village was destroyed. The more that tell the tale, the more it may be believed. And...I just need too..."

That's all he could say. Rowan was helpless to explain the feeling he had. It was so strong, but so alien as well.

"I've never been more sure of anything." he finished. Cuamin sighed and put down his tools, grabbing the wooden shaft of the spade.

"You'll need a horse." he said quietly. "And a weapon of sorts. Silal can spare me Jin and Tori for a while to help around here." he looked at Rowan. "I've raised you as well as I can, so I'm sure I don't need to tell ya to be careful, to keep your eyes open and mind your betters." The man's voice was quiet, gruff as he fitted the spade end to the shaft. "Take a horse and meet me at the front."

Rowan nodded and turned to walk out to the corral, a lump forming in his throat for some reason. Probably the fear of leaving so far from home. He'd only ever known this village. Taking a deep breath to calm himself, he looked at the horses that trotted around the corral. Silal and several of his men were around. The tall man turned and saw Rowan, then walked over.

"Oi, Rowan." he said in a friendly voice. "Goin' on a trip?"

"Aye." the boy answered. "I need to get a horse." he hesitated, then looked at Silal. "Uh, Silal, sir...Firebrand doesn't have a previous buyer, does he?"

Silal raised an eyebrow. "No. But I don't know that I'd be comfortable handing him over to ya, Rowan. He's not as big as a warhorse; he's bred for racin'. But a kick from him could cause you a grave hurt."

"He won't hurt me." Rowan said confidently. "He just wants to run free."

Silal raised an eyebrow and Rowan felt his cheeks reddened, but he didn't shift his gaze. The older man sighed and ran a rough hand through his straw like hair. "Rowan, if you can get a bridle and saddle on that horse, he's yours, free of charge. He's beautiful, but no one wants a horse that ill-tempered and it would be a crime to break that spirit of his."

Rowan nodded and put down his bag, then went to the small tack room. He selected a comfortable bridle and a light saddle and carried them out, then went back for a saddle blanket. He placed them on the fence, then looked around for Firebrand.

The horse was soon spotted, rearing his proud head and trotting around snorting. Rowan gave a soft whislte, then spoke in the strange tongue. Firebrand's ears perked forward and he smiled.

'That's it.' he thought. 'Come, my friend.'

Rowan slowly rubbed Firebrand's forehead and let him sniff Rowan's scent. Rowan picked up the bridle slowly. Firebrand snorted and backed up slightly.

"It's alright." Rowan said softly. "There's no bit; it won't hurt at all. I promise."

His slender hands slowly slipped it over Firebrand's head and fastened it. Rowan felt some relief, but he was still holding his breath unconciously. He picked up the saddle blanket and eased over. He spoke quietly, but firmly in the musical words, slowly inching the blanket over so that he wouldn't spook Firebrand. The chestnut horse's muscles twitched a little, but he stood mostly still.

The saddle would be the hardest part. Rowan inched it over on Firebrand's back, then cinched it carefully. That done, he bit his lip.

"I just need you to carry me for a little bit, Firebrand." he murmured. "But I promise, we'll do lots of running."

The horse seemed to understand, for he gave a snort of approval, tossing his head. Rowan smiled and mounted up, then rode to the gate of the corral. One of Silal's men opened it up for him and he rode out, then rode over to the tall blonde man.

Silal grinned and then gave a booming, approving laugh. "Well, if anyone would do it, it'd be you Rowan." his brown eyes gazed at the boy. "You're a wonder, boy." he said softly. Rowan blushed at the compliment, then took his bag from Silal and slung it on his back.

"Thank you." he said. "And...thank you for Firebrand."

"No thanks needed, lad." Silal stated. "You're doin' me a favor."

Rowan smiled briefly and rode over to the front of the stable. There Cuamin stood, an old and beautiful looking sword and scabbard in his hands. Rowan dismounted and held the riens, then gave his father a curious look.

"I know you've had some trainin' in swords haning about with Silal's boys." the dark man stated. "This was your mother's; it was in her family. From whom, I don't know. She'd want...well, it's collected enough dust and I don't want you defenseless."

Rowan took it and put on his belt as Cuamin held Firebrand's riens. He swallowed hard and looked up. Cuamin smiled. "Have a good trip." he said quietly, then pulled the boy in an implusive hug. Rowan smiled and then remounted.

"I won't be gone long." he said brightly. "Just to warn the Marshall; that's all."

Cuamin nodded and smiled, waving to his son as the boy rode away.

Rowan rode forward and arrived at the inn. It looked like some of the others were already gathered; mostly the elves. Rowan shyly approached and stayed at the edge of the gathering.

(Whew! Sorry it was so long!!)
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 19, 2004 01:26
Orfeo smiled to himself as he watched everyone mount their horses. He was on his owwn horse Elfgar and waiting patiently. I can't believe everyone wants to go see my uncle, he thought. He wasn't sure if there was anything they could really do in this situation, since all he was doing was sending a message, but it was toughing to see them so enthusiastic. Finally, everyone was ready. "Let's move out!" he called and spurred Elfgar into a gallop towards Helms Deep.

(OOC: The Marshals of the West-Mark reside in Helms Deep, just letting you know. It's in the Unfinished Tales.)

[Edited on 22/11/2004 by Lady_Tolwen]
willowluvstara13
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 19, 2004 06:01
Calia and Haldir glance at each other. "Lets Go!" Calia calls, spurring her horse. Haldir follows suite. They glance back only occaisinally to make sure the others are keeping up.
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2004 12:35
Orfeo sped on to Helm's Deep. He kept a fast pace, but not too fast that the other's couldn't keep up. Soon, they reached their destination. As he galloped up, he saw a friend of his. "Alric, how are you? Can you look after Elgar for me? I need to see my uncle. It's of the utmost importance." Alric nodded and took the reigns. Orfeo ran off to the council chamber to find Erkenbrand.
Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2004 04:19
Larewen had come too, She looked at Helms Deep, it was beautiful. they all rode through the large gates and dismounted their horses waiting for Orfeo.
toastedlembas
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2004 03:40
((Wow, I haven’t posted for a while. Sorry all.))

When everything was decided, Elfwyn rushed off to prepare. Trum followed her at his own steady pace. When he finally arrived at their house, Elfwyn was frenzied, trying to decide what she needed to bring. Trum was finished his preparations in mere minutes, but his sister was still crazy. Shaking his head, Trum went in to her room and assisted her. Eventually, both were ready. After retrieving their horses from the stables, they met up with the others.

When everyone was assembled, the group set off, with Orfeo as the leader. There was not much talk as they rode; many were pondering their lives, while others were merely enjoying the ride. After much riding, they arrive at Helm’s Deep. Trum and Elfwyn had both been here once before, and the memories they had were not altogether fond. Elfwyn found herself remembering the caves most of all. They had been beautiful, but being cooped up in there with a battle raging had almost driven her to the brink of madness.

Orfeo went ahead to see his uncle, and the others were left shifting uncomfortably. Were they supposed to go with him? He had given no sign. Ricellen ran after him; to bring the news was the only reason that he had come along, after all. Trum looked around at the others before making a move. No one else seemed to take action, so he followed Orfeo as well. He didn’t want to just stand there while decisions were being made.
willowluvstara13
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2004 03:57
Calia stands at the fortress, just as in awe as everyone else. "It's beautiful" she whispers softly.
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2004 12:48
(OOC: Should I play the part of Erkenbrand, or should someone else? I'm really not sureErkembrand should react. )

"Uncle, I have urgent news!" Orfeo shouted. Erkenbrand calmly looked up from his mountain of paper work. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to shout, but a man named Ricellen has come to seek your help." Orfeo motioned for Ricellen to come forward to speak. Suddenly realizing he had left his friends outside, he quietly called for a passing servant to bring them into the council chambers.
willowluvstara13
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2004 05:14
Calia smiles in awe as the servent brings them inside. She had never been inside something this huge made of stone before. "Wow."

Haldir smiles. "I don't mean to be rude, but why exactly are we here again?"
Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 01, 2004 12:31
Larewen looked up when a servant came to get all of them. 'Sir Orfeo wants you to follow me.' So Larewen followed just as everyone else. The servant stopped and showed them a big door. Larewen knocked and opened the door slowly. When she saw Orfeo she opened the door wide and walked inside. 'You wanted us to come? Is this your uncle? Hello Sir.' Larewen walked up to the desk where the man was sitting at and held out her hand. 'My name is Larewen Elentirmo, Nice to meet you.'
willowluvstara13
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 02, 2004 05:15
Calia suddenly remebers her manners. "My name is Calia, and this is my husband, Haldir. Pleased to meet you." She curtsies
toastedlembas
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2004 03:10
((As it's my thread, I suppose I shall handle Erkenbrand.))

Orfeo, Trum, and Ricellen were soon joined by the rest of the group. When all had entered and said their words of greeting, Ricellen stepped forward and bowed to Erkenbrand. When the great man gestured for him to speak, he began to tell his tale. "My lord, I bring news from my village, in the far corner of the Eastfold. We bin attacked my lord, by the Haradrim. They came across the Entwash, in the middle o' the day. We din't know what to do. They lef' us alone eventually, but not before destroyin' much o' what we 'ad. No one 'as gone to see King Eomer yet, sir. Or at least I don't think so. I dunno 'ow I missed Edoras by so much, but after I delivered the news to the village of these kind folks, Helm's Deep turned out t' be closer than Edoras, so here we are. What d'you suppose we should be doin' now?"

Erkenbrand looked grave throughout Ricellen's speech, and when the man had finished he put his head in his hands, deep in thought. Eventually he raised his head once more, and folded his hands in his lap before speaking. "Well, this isn't very good news. In fact, it's rather bad. But there is at least a clear course of action...we must send a messenger to the king, obviously. But who to send...?"

Erkenbrand looked at his nephew meaningfully. Orfeo shifted a bit uneasily, having a good idea of what was coming next. "Orfeo, I believe this is a good task for you to undertake. If you feel ready for it, King Eomer will probably allow you to help with whatever course of action he deems necessary. And the rest of you will most likely be given the same opportunity, should you choose to go any further. I shall write what news has been brought on this parchment, and leave you to decide amongst yourselves what you all shall do, whether it be together or apart. Good day to you all."

With this, Erkenbrand left the room, heading for his personal study. Trum shuffled his feet, knowing that his sister would want to go onwards. This was the type of adventure she longed for, but Trum just wanted to go home, and work the fields. He looked about at the others, wondering what they were thinking, and dreading the decision he would have to make.

((Found a fun little thing where Edoras is closer to Ricellen's village than Helm's Deep...so he did something funny and got lost on the way because he was grieving. Yeah. We'll go with that.))
willowluvstara13
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2004 07:03
Calia glances uneasily at everyone. "well, I'm willing to stay, and so is Haldir, if you all want us to."
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2004 08:44
Orfeo nodded eagerly at his uncle's command. "I shall try to be worthy of my post." He turned to his friends. "Again I must go. But if you wish to join me, you may. I will make preparations for the journey to Edoras. We leave in two hours."

OOC: I gotthe "worthy of my post bit from Peter Pan.LOL It seemed to fit.
willowluvstara13
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2004 01:00
Calia nods grimly. "Of course we will come with you."
Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2004 11:07
'I shall come too.' She smiled at the thought of Edoras for maybe she could see a friend of her there who was staying there for a year.

Because she was all set already she wanted to wander around Helms Deep to look at everything.

[(dunno, someone wants to come?)]
willowluvstara13
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2004 03:34
Calia bids Haldir to gather the few supplies they need and follows the mortal girl. "Anything troubling you?"

[(~~lovelegolasgreanleaf~~, sorry, but I forgot your characters name.)]
Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2004 12:38
[Haha, the ooc is great. Hey i have a bunch of characters, like 6 of them and some are rangers, and all are friends of larewen maybe she could go and get them...?]

'Oh no, i am fine. I just thought about that war that was fought here. Sorry if i seem troubled.' She smiled. 'Do you care for a walk?'
Lady_Tolwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2004 01:43
Orfeo was soon prepared for the journey to Edoras and was now biding his time while the others had a look around Helms Deep. He still couldn't believe he was going to Edoras to meet the king. He had seen him before, yes, on numorous trips to the capital city, but had never gone alone or spoken to King Eomer. He wondered if Thalialen (sp?) would accompany them, and if so, could she afford to go. "When did that thought come up?" he asked himself. He was growing tired of waiting.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email