Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
Post RE: Hagrid's Hut - For all Harry Potter discussion- Movies & Books
on: November 07, 2002 07:44
ok just to remind you that web site advertising isnt allowed in the forums- me and KoV are working on a way for you to pass on your links without cluttering the discussion threads.

in the mean time can you refrain from posting links thanks

TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: November 07, 2002 07:58
I completely forgot about that!! Ummm, well, oh dear.... Is it allowed in journals???
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: November 07, 2002 08:25
yes of course

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: November 08, 2002 11:46
so i have been reading reviews for the up and coming chamber of secrets movie and i have to say most of them have been good reviews, which leads me to ask you all a couple of questions:

1. did you like the first movie? i didnt like it at all myself. i found the lack of lines meant that everything the actors did was over dramatic. the children came across as actors (hmm not sure if you will get what i mean- but i like the actors to come across as the being the character not someone playing hte character )

i hated the way they protrayed hagrid.

and that cave troll was terrible! it was quite obviously a computer version of harry on that troll and it really stuck in my head :angry:

saying that though some bits were good. despite the way he was protrayed Robbie Coltrane made a very good Hagrid, like wise the character of Snape, Dumbledore and McGonnogal were very good.

2. what are you expectations of the new movie? i am going to see it, despite my annoyence at the first movie. i figure that as it was filmed after the 1st movie (unlike LotR which were al filmed together) then Christopher Columbus will have been able to work on the critiscm he got last time

i hear the CGI effects are better this year and that Gilderoy and Lucious Malfoy are very good character.

i really hope they do better this time
whittyb
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2002 10:34
1. I loved it equally as much as LOTR! (that means alot!)
I think they couldnt have had a btter cast exactly as I thought they would be!
Byt hey way theres to Hagrids! (2 actors!)

2. I have seen half the movie in trailers and clips and im telling you its alot better than the first one! better 3D animations (good for you K!)
I hope that it is as good as the book!
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: November 10, 2002 09:39
I read something interesting in the News Paper on who could replace Richard Harris as Dumbledore:
1: Sean Connery
2: Ian Holm
3: Ian Mckellen
4: Judi Dench
Yes, I know the last one's crazy.
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: November 10, 2002 09:42
Wow, I don't know if Sean Connery even fits that role! I think that would be a less-than-perfect choice!
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: November 10, 2002 09:43
I know.... There were more on the list, but I can't remember. I'll look it up when I get home.
whittyb
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2002 10:23
ROFLOL Look at this:

http://www.ruthybell.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mrduk.htm
~Witch_Queen_of_Angmar~
Queen of the Dark Nine
Send Message
on: November 12, 2002 05:40
I might be late or just oftopic, but I was just wondering who might be looking forward to see Daniel in about 5-6-7 years..? I'm holding a button on the answer "he will turn out pretty hot-looking!" Don't u think..?
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: November 12, 2002 09:06
Hmmm, yes, me thinks he just may! I just saw the Chamber of Secrets soundtrack and PC game in the store today. I thought those weren't suppose to come out 'till Friday. :dizzy:
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: November 15, 2002 08:19
Yay!!!! The movie just came out today!!!! I'm getting the soundtrack after school. Has anyone seen it yet? I'm going tomorrow and I can't wait!
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: November 15, 2002 01:39
yes i heard it was out- we have had special previews all week so a friend of mine saw it a couple of days ago! apparently its very scary and better than the last one!

let us know what you think when you have seen it!
whittyb
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2002 06:03
I heard that there is some clips after the credits, whats it all about?
Naithriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2002 03:54
Just saw it. WHEEE.

No clips after credits, practically everyone's voice changed, Lucius kicks Dobby down a flight of stairs (YEAH!!!), and I won't say any more.

Except that Draco is hot, and Riddle is hotter.

*Fangirl*
~Witch_Queen_of_Angmar~
Queen of the Dark Nine
Send Message
on: November 18, 2002 05:44
Well, I know about Draco and Riddle... I think I better go and see this movie.. (is especially curious about Riddle........)
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: November 18, 2002 08:34
Yes, everyone go see it! It's wonderful! Much funnier than the first one, and Ron's voice is changing, so it cracks sometimes. HeHe
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: November 19, 2002 10:17
I saw it and thought it was great (for a HP movie, not comparing it to LOTR or anything....). I was scared that I wasn't going to like Dobby, thinking he was just going to be a bad CGI, but he was great, one of my favorite parts of the movie! He was pretty funny, and by the end of the movie, I thought Dobby was the cutest little thing!

The beginning went a little fast (ok, it was lightning speed), since they had to pack so much stuff into so little time in order to get to more important events. This meant however that they left a lot of good parts out, such as the Malfoy's in Knockturn Alley, Lucius fighting with Arthur Weasly, etc.

The actors definitely all look older, especially Draco Malfoy. Ron's voice squeaks and breaks more than sounds normal, but is made up for by better acting than he did in the first one. The only disappointing acting performance was from Hermione, who seemed to have become more awkward when saying her lines and being believable.

My favorite characters were Lucius (he was ABSOLUTLY perfect, lookwise and talent-wise) and Tom Riddle, who surprised me as well. The entire scene in the Chamber of Secrets was fantastically done. My other favorite scene was the Quidditch game. The effects for this scene were even more fantastic then in the first movie....so exhilirating!

The thing that surprised me the most was how SCARY they made the scene in Aragog's lair. That was so freaky (way too many spiders).....there were times I definitely jumped out of my seat. BE WARNED! Scary Spiders!

Overall, very nice followup to the first movie....

[Edited on 21/11/2002 by Ringhilwen]
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: November 19, 2002 10:31
ooh your making me actually look forward to seeing the second film now (i thought that couldnt be done )

did anyone else notice that in the cast shots, interviews etc. the kid playing Ron (forget his name sorry) looks really quite ill, very pale and drawn poor guy
whittyb
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 19, 2002 10:47
LOL to K= Good old Hagrids Hut

Yeah I cant wait, you mean Rupert Grint yeah he does look rather pale im not sure about the others though?

TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: November 20, 2002 08:43
Have you gotten the Chamber of Secrets game yet whittyb? I got mine Friday and it is SO fun! The graphics are much better and there's more places to explore.
whittyb
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2002 09:36
LOL Matter of fact im getting it tomorrow for Pc

Oh cool better graphics (the first was a bit lame there faces didnt move!)
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: November 21, 2002 01:16
Look what I found at Crosswalk.com today! Thought you Potterholics would be interested.

The next series entry, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, begins production next spring and will be directed by Alfonso Cuarón (A Little Princess). And who did Cuarón beat out for the job? None other than Chamber of Secrets star Kenneth Branagh. And then, how does a movie franchise replace an actor its producer calls ''irreplaceable?'' Richard Harris' death at 72 has posed a problem. He had hoped to play the 2,000-year-old wizard again in the third movie as well as the four sequels beyond that. Now, producers are considering Harris's body double for the role, Harry Robinson. He is the same age as Harris (72) and can mimic Harris's voice as well.

TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: November 22, 2002 10:17
Very interesting. I heard about the director bit, but not in that much detail. Also, I read that Ian McKellen was offered the part of Dumbledore for the 3rd film, but he turned it down. Too bad, he would be a wonderful Dumbledore.
whittyb
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2002 10:38
Yes Ive read that Scothia, well the new director might change the cast and all? because its not going to be made till 2004!
And there getting to old! so all the look alikes are probally getting ready!
Ian McKellen would have been great! But the voice?
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: November 22, 2002 12:28
Hmmm...welll, the kids would be getting older in each successive book.

And I think it makes total sense to use Richard Harris' body double as Dumbledore, especially if he has the voice down. That way there won't be that radical of a change for the character--something that always yanks me right out of a story.
whittyb
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2002 11:49
Oh by the way did anyone watch Oprah? they had a hour of Harry Potter!
whittyb
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2002 12:30
Yay! Tomorrow Im going to see CoS!

And at snitchseeker.com Im a Admin now! And I can get into the Hogwarts Staffroom and all the common rooms! (and I know everything thats going to happen in the main RPG!)
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: November 27, 2002 02:04
And at snitchseeker.com Im a Admin now! And I can get into the Hogwarts Staffroom and all the common rooms! (and I know everything thats going to happen in the main RPG!)

can you tidy up the forums while your at it? i stopped going there cus it was such a mess.

have fun at the CoS- make sure you tell us what you think
whittyb
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2002 11:17
Me and Dumbledore are working on it, but things have been changed a bit.
you should check it out!

Man CoS was great! More funnier and scarier!
When the Baslisk came out of the water that was heaps scary and when they thought the spiders were all gone and one came out and strangeled Ron!!!!!!!!
I give it 10/10
way better than the first one!

Have you seen it yet K?
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: November 28, 2002 01:02
yeah i saw it last night. i will edit this post later when i am at home and put my review in here..... i have posted up about it in my journal though if you just cant wait
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: November 28, 2002 05:26
ok here it is.... its pretty long and i must warn you i am a bit of a "purist" when it comes to harry potter...

The Adults

dumbledore- Richard Harris was of course the dumbledore, he did it so well. i hope they find someone good to replace him- its a shame i would have loved to see him act in the goblet of fire, where dumbledore seemed to have much more scope for emotion.

McGonnagol As ever a fantastic performance from Maggie Smith. she has McGonnagol down to a tee.

Hagrid you know if someone had told me that Robbie Coltrane would be Hagrid i would have laughed- he is perfect as Hagrid though. it a shame the script writers keep giving him rubbish lines

Gilderoy Lockhart Kenneth Brannagh had Lockhart perfectly, from the arragonce to the charming smile. its just a shame we didnt get to see him in shocking pink robes- i would have given anything to see that one

others all the new adult character were good, pomfrey didnt look quite right but by the end of the movie i was used to her. lucious was of course fantastic (that bow in his hair cracked me up though) and sprout was also very good.

the only adult character i have trouble with is Argus Filch, hes just soo odd, i dont see it as him at all

the Kids

in my opinion the children were chosen for thier looks rather than thier ability as actors or actresses.

Ron Weasly hmm all of two expressions, scared or confused oh no sorry there is a third- scared and confused at the same time. i dont like the way Ron is played as being soo scared all the time its not his character grrr :angry:

Harry Potter no no no no Daniel Radcliffe seems to shout in an over dramatic vioce ALL the time. it really really gets to me and i end up gritting my teeth everytime the guy talks

Dobby well the CGI was good.... saying that i didnt like dobby he was just wrong in some way. they havnt quite got there with him.

Oliver Wood
:drool: ooops breaking my own rules there...

Draco yes you know Tom Felton does play a good Draco- he has the sneer down to a tea and the slightly petulant dislike of Harry. he spits Potter a little to much but that can most defianely be over looked. by far the best of the child actors in Harry Potter.

The film

some unecesary changes stuck out in my mind.

1. the quidditch match- now i liked the book version where harry caught the snitch from right by malfoy even though he had a broken arm, it showed harry was a better player than draco.

now in the film they for some bizzare reason (possibly the computer guys wanting to show off) decided to have a scene where they were under the quidditch pitch for 5 minutes. nothing happened they just chased each other and the snitch and avoided the bludger. i hated this bit after abot a minute i was like get on with it already

2. spiders- now these were well done but i think the way it was in the book, where they were actually picked up by spidesr would have been scarier and i found the whole chasing thing a bit odd (that car had its windscreen broken 4 times and kept miraculoutsly healing itself thats one magic ford) and rather unesecary.

3. the final scenes- the way it was played in the book- "look potter even your bird is crying for you" see now i loved that ending why did they change it grrr :angry: on a side note what were they thinking witht he phoenix it looked like a giant red duck puppet!

ok having ranted and moaned for far to long it wasnt that bad- the adults made up most of the time for the poor performance by the children and most of the scenes were well done. i would give it a 7/10 which is alot better than the first film

well you did ask.....
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 30, 2002 09:37
I just saw it...I loved it. Scary...and fun...
but I've got a little ponder point or two...does anyone else feel sorry for Draco?I asked my brother and he looked at me like I was from mars...but, when you watch the movie...at the duel part. He's just landed in a crumpled heap onm the floor, and Snape just tugs him up and kicks him back in. How are we even sure he wanted to fight? I don't know, but he's getting some pity over here...
and the Basilisk...Colin saw it through a camera...so why would it hurt HP?He would see it through glasses. As would Moaning Myrtle, who in that case wouldn't be dead...can glasses block it? If a mirror can, why can't glasses?
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: December 01, 2002 01:22
yeah pipsqueak that thought i have heard before and you are right i guess. i dont know much about the workings of a camera but i thought a lens was just glass...

hmm as to draco in the movie- i did feel a little sorry for him, but the films have a nasty habit of making uneccesary changes. that didnt happen to draco in the books.
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 01, 2002 05:14
yes...I think the movie made him a bit more human, I guess...
Snape was COOL...and I want to whack Lockhart too.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email