Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
Post RE: Hagrid's Hut - For all Harry Potter discussion- Movies & Books
on: December 02, 2002 07:27

can you tidy up the forums while your at it? i stopped going there cus it was such a mess.

Hey, I'm actually just about to become an admin over there (sssshhhh, not common knowledge) so that I can clean things up and create a casting forum. The current admins are going to kill my student character off somehow, and I'll come back as a "Peeves." That way whitty (who's the Filch admin) can chase me around the forums yelling "Peeves! You'll be banished for this! Mark my words!"
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: December 02, 2002 07:41
hee hee *shushs*

good im soo glad i can barely cope with any more "tom is sooooo hot" posts grrrrr...

oops ok gone off topic and shouldnt be discussing another website on here really! ..

um wheres your review Ringhilwen
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: December 02, 2002 07:48

um wheres your review Ringhilwen

hehe....actually, it's on page 2 of this thread!
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: December 02, 2002 07:51
oops :blush:

lol well i hope we wont loose you round here...

Carancoe
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 02, 2002 05:04
ok, all, coming from an HP hater here...

I'd like to know what you guys really like so much about HP. What is it that's so fascinating? I don't like it... but I won't continue.

Having written (and am still writing) an HP fanfic (its a monster of a book, mark my words) I've been getting some nasty reviews. One even hit on me as a person...

Good plot, terrible grammar, weird sentences and wack characterizations. A little (okay more than a little) work and this MIGHT have the potential of being a good story. Other than that, I regard HP-haters as superficial idiots who try to be "unique" by disliking something universally liked but that's my opinion.

Yeah... people get crazy. I'm not even going to respond to that. When people start acting like this, it just annoys me. I respect all your opinions on what you like and don't like, and I'll listen (well, ok, read) open mindedly when you say you like HP, because I'm not like this person is.

What IS so great about HP? Tell me, and I will listen...

Sounds corny. If you must know, I'm ecnarf on www.fanfiction.net
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 02, 2002 05:10
The imagination. How it's another fun place, and you can imagine being there...sort of like lotr. Everyone likes a little escapism now and then, and HP is easy to read, a good plot, and lots of cliffhangers.
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: December 02, 2002 05:56
The imagination. How it's another fun place, and you can imagine being there...sort of like lotr. Everyone likes a little escapism now and then, and HP is easy to read, a good plot, and lots of cliffhangers.

Especially the imagination; the vivid imagination that allows somebody to create Quidditch, Howlers, even a flying car! (Can you tell I watched COS a few days ago?) On the other hand. sometimes I do have quibbles, because I think Rowling's characters/people are rather flat and simplistic, as is the writing style. But it was never meant to be the epic that LOTR is.
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: December 02, 2002 07:13
Everyone likes a little escapism now and then.

Exactly. Of course HP isn't the epic that LOTR is, but it has it's good points. I love to read it before bed, or after a particularly stressful day. It's so easy to get into and easy to follow, but it gives you a great escape from the sometimes-mundane world. I think the (book) characters are wonderful, and run the gamut of personalities. And the imagination....oh the imagination.....:heart:

Jusut curious Carancoe (not to question/assault you in any way), but have you read the books? If you have, did you read all of them?
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: December 03, 2002 01:16
you know i find most people that are really against Harry Potter have only seen the films, or only read a tiny bit of the first book if any at all.

i think if i compared every book i read to lord of the rings most would fall short, and if i spent my life only reading books as good as lord of the rings then i would never read again...

Harry Potter is a childrens book- its complete escapism. They have a fun little plot and rather interesting characters. Theres always something new happening so its pretty surprising to read.

the school and the set up of the place actually reminds me of somewhere i used to go to school, so its a bit of nostalgia too.

its very difficult to say why certain books appeal to certain people, but theres no doubting they are fun to read and have a fast paced plot for the most part.

obviously part of the appeal is that they are not all written yet- i think HP fever has been so big because people just wanna know how it ends- i mean with LotR you can buy all 3 books so no waiting around thinking over whats gonna happen.

your right Firiel, some of the characters can be a little simple, but rowling seems to be padding alot of them out.

theres no doubt that JK Rowling has an amazing imagination, although many people say she "copied" ideas from lord of the rings thats complete rubbish in my opinion (please dont respond wiht a list of what she "copied" ive heard it all before), she has come up with some brialliant new concepts- post owls, quidditch, and lots more.

Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: December 03, 2002 08:15
Draco yes you know Tom Felton does play a good Draco- he has the sneer down to a tea and the slightly petulant dislike of Harry. he spits Potter a little to much but that can most defianely be over looked. by far the best of the child actors in Harry Potter.

I'll definitely agree with you there. He's the only child actor there with any major acting experience, with 3 or 4 films under his belt (most memorable for me being Anna and the King). It's like he knows how to be the character, and not just look like he's acting. Plus, with his experience, he's worked with major actors, and probably has learned a lot from them too. Kudos Tom Felton, keep it up. Maybe they should change the movies to "Draco Malfoy and the ___________" :love: He's the only one that I think pulls off his character exactly how I had imagined it from the book.

Side Note: plus, he's wicked cute, and if I was younger.....:love: man-oh-man

Sean Biggerstaff? Yes k, don't get me started on him! :blush:
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: December 03, 2002 08:44
It's like he knows how to be the character, and not just look like he's acting.

lol yup thats exactely right- i have tried to say that before and didnt get my point across i think.

hmm i dont go for the blonde thing but oliver wood (pretend theres drool icon here).....

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: December 05, 2002 04:05
ok so today i finnaly gave in and bought my first peice of HP merchendise (the books dont count )

a lovely poster of them playing quidditch- now i get to perve at oliver wood while i do my cooking

the movies arent good but i ahve to say they did put alot of effort into those super cool costumes !! yay!

what HP stuff have you guys got??
BellydancerGirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2002 06:48
...Colin saw it through a camera...so why would it hurt HP?He would see it through glasses. As would Moaning Myrtle, who in that case wouldn't be dead...can glasses block it? If a mirror can, why can't glasses?

The only reason why the basilisk didn't hurt Harry, even though he was wearing glasses, was that Fawkes had poked out the basilisk's eyes before Harry had to look at it.
Carancoe
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2002 12:18
Yes, Ring, I have. I read a good part of the first one, the second one and the fourth one.

I do my work before deciding to thrash something ceaselessly.

Anyways, here's what I noticed: JK Rowlings confidence as a writer increases greatly from the first to the fourth book. It's as if she knows its going to be a hit no matter what, so she can relax a bit and not be tense.

In the first book, what really hits you is how timid it gets at times.

Ya know Pip, I think there is a point when cliffhangers every single chapter get boring. I'm guilty of that... because when you post a story chap by chap, you need to keep people interested at the end. Well, as for plot, I started writing this monster when I only saw the first movie.

Yep, the plot is that simple. Anyways, I enjoy a good, simple book like the best of them, but for me, that's Redwall.

And another thing that's really bogus is just how Harry beats everything. It gets annoying!

With any luck, he'll magically cause himself to become attractive, so LOTR will fall out to the rest of the Obssessed population. I once read a fic where Harry is somehow now older and mature and all... I will not post it, as it contains *certain* scenes which I found disturbing, and plain unresponsible.
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: December 11, 2002 09:26
As always I'm behind on everything. I just saw HP2 and I loved it. I haven't read the book yet though, so I really can't comment on that department. The quidditch game could have been better and I didn't think that they explained TR away very well (suppose I should really read the book for this one) but I think that GL and LM were very well cast. KB was such a darling and whoever played papa Malfoy has me swooning :blush: check out my journal for further discussion...
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: December 12, 2002 01:51
kenneth brannagh was amazing- i was looking at pictures from the film again last night and he had me laughing all over again...i wasnt sure about him at first, his look was waaay different than i imagened, but he just had the character so well
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: December 12, 2002 07:48
Kenneth Branaugh was great as Lockhart...he played the part so well. The attitude, the speaking, the look, the actions - they were all perfect!
I also thought Jason Isaacs was great as Lucius Malfoy, another excellent casting job. Definitely loved his sneers and the way he spoke! :blush:
Still have a thing for Tom Felton as Draco Malfoy....but feel awful and twisted for thinking that. Oh well, he'll be SO attractive someday.:blush:
shutup_conscience
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2002 06:17
hey, in harry potter#5 i have a known fact whos gonna die.....interview w/ rowling...........have any of you guys heard?? anyway.........hagrid..........love him........:cry::cry:such a tragedy it is.........stupid JK!!!!!!!!!:angry:just kidding
Lavalier
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2002 11:12
Hey, so for all you who have read Harry Potter, who do you think should play Sirius Black (Harrys Godfather)?

It seems they are getting Robson Green to play him, but they were thinking about getting Viggo Mortensen to play him apparantly. I could imagin Sirius looking like Aragorn, mabey.
Personally, I think Robson Green is a crap choice. Hes all old and ugly. I thought Sirius would be rugged and quite good looking, but who am I...

And they were thinking on Ewan McGregor to play Proffesor Lupin.
I think he'd be good as Lupin, thats kinda how I pictured him in the book.

Anyway, what do you think?

Claire
highlandergirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2002 11:24
Since I know that everyone here loves LotR...I just wanted to tell you that I saw a magazine at the grocery store yesterday called Blast! At the movies presents: the Lord of the Rings, and it was all LotR AND Harry Potter...and the LotR pictures are great! Nice magazine , esp. if you like HP also.
Lavalier
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2002 11:41
hey, in harry potter#5 i have a known fact whos gonna die.....interview w/ rowling...........have any of you guys heard?? anyway.........hagrid..........love him........:cry::cry:such a tragedy it is.........stupid JK!!!!!!!!!:angry:just kidding

What just kidding that its Hagrid that dies, or JK is stupid?

I thought it'd be Snape, seeing as he didnt go to Voldemort and such. Hes an ace character, and so incredibly georgeous :blush:
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: December 15, 2002 01:44
hmm well i dont think they should get robson jerome to play sirius i cant see it myself.... but i dont think they have cast anyone for etiher sirius or lupin yet...

i can see mcgregor as lupin kind of. sirius would be good played by viggo but i doubt they will get him to do it shame...

there are sooo many rumours going about for who dies i think it could be anyone really- im going with the wait and see thing.
KeeperofVilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 25, 2002 01:39
Ok i feel like a bit of an outsider here - I have just now been introduced to Harry Potter - my friend potterized me and I saw the two movies. I LOVED them ! ! But i have not yet read the books so i am still very much a newbie
~Witch_Queen_of_Angmar~
Queen of the Dark Nine
Send Message
on: December 25, 2002 04:36
Welcome in the club, Sisly!
Great to see you here! And you shoud seriously read the books! My copy of "The goblet of Fire" is no longer readable...
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: December 25, 2002 04:45
lol welcome KoV

i know what you mean WQ mine are slowly becoming more and more battered.

~Witch_Queen_of_Angmar~
Queen of the Dark Nine
Send Message
on: December 26, 2002 03:14
I have already used on role of cello tape on "The Goblet of Fire".. wonder how many more I'll use!
KeeperofVilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2002 04:03
Ok I am offically a Potter Fan - and I LOVE Prof Snape and Lucius Malafoy :love::drool::blush: Maybe I just have something for bad guys LOL

Also... are there any members here that also are members of the HP site Snitchseeker.com ? I am thinking of joining and was wondeirng if there wa anyone there that i know already

[Edited on 28/12/2002 by KeeperofVilya]
~Witch_Queen_of_Angmar~
Queen of the Dark Nine
Send Message
on: December 28, 2002 11:53
Good going, Sisly !
I'm at Snitchseeker.com, and though I'm not the most active member there, I know that k, Ringhilwen and whittyb are there as well! Come join the HP madness
Sareana_Evenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2002 06:14
Hi there! Well.... they've found a new Dumbledore, and this is a big deal for anyone who likes Harry Potter... and they've finally made a good decision.... I personally think Ian McKellen would make a MUCH better Dumbledore...

Here's a link to an article about it: http://people.aol.com/people/news/now/0,10958,402670,00.html

Anyhow.... just thought you guys mught wanna know...
~Ascarantwen_the_Elf~
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2002 06:15
Yeah I heard about this...

I don't want to offend any HP fans , but I don't like the idea of Sir Ian playing Dumbledore. I mean, in my mind I see him as Gandalf, and that's all I will see if I see him as Dumbledore...lol I'll be watching it, and making stupid comparisons, when I should be paying attention.
Ainulindale
Last Homely Housekeeper
& Gallery Shirriff

Send Message
i love hp but i didn't really like richard harris. i think ian mckellen would do a better job. but i agree with AtE he is fixed in our minds as gandalf.
merrysmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
you are right AtE and I am HP fan! I already see him as Gandalf too! but the thing w/me is that the clothes make-up will be different and i am sure that Sir Ian will be able to make an impression about the differences between Gandalf and Dumbledore....Gandalf and Dumbledore are two different wizards in my mind at least...
Sareana_Evenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2002 06:16
i love hp but i didn't really like richard harris. i think ian mckellen would do a better job. but i agree with AtE he is fixed in our minds as gandalf.

Yeah, I agree... I'll just think Gandalf... oh well.... I didn't really like Richard Harris as Dumbledore... Ian McKellen seems much more... grandfatherly.
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
Well you guys are probably right. Ian will probably make a better Dumbledore.
Filming starts in 2003 for HP and then the Prizoner of Azkaban will come out in 2004. I think, that's what I heard.
Kingrichard
Council Member
Send Message
sorry to disagree...but Harris was sooo wonderful as Dumbledore...he like McKellen is one of my favorite actors...ever since i first saw him live in "Camelot".
to me..McKellen is certainly cabable of the role...he's capable of practically any role,but his entire acting style would not fit into the style of the POTTER films as they have been established. I wish they would just give Maggie Smith the Dumbledore plot scenes and leave the role vacant im memory of Sir Richard...Like McKellen..Harris is/was irreplaceable.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email