Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
Elbereth_Jones
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Hagrid's Hut - For all Harry Potter discussion- Movies & Books
on: December 29, 2002 06:16
First off it's really sad about Richard Harris. And it also stinks from the POV of the film alone that they have to replace an actor in the middle- yuck. But that said at least they're replacing him with a very good actor, who will I'm sure do a great job as Dumbledore.
theHierOfElendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2002 06:17
oh man! i;ve hear rumors to this effedct, but i had hoped they were only rumore. i hate the thought of that! ok, i love harry potter, adn i love LOTR, but they just....they're on different levels, you kno? they really shouldnt b mentioned in the same breath.....ok adn now u guys r all think 'wow, now theres a freak', but oh well. thats what i think.
modernangel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2002 06:17
i agree that it'll seem a bit weird....what would you do if you were watching spiderman 2 and suddenly legolas popped up and started firing arrows at all the bad guys? exactly. lol :dizzy:
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: December 29, 2002 06:25
the Harry potter site i am a member off (see the links thread) claims that the rumour about Ian Mckellen playing Dumbledore was exactely that- a rumour.

personally i liked Richard Harris, he did make a good dumbledore. i also believe that Ian Mckellen would be good.

the problem i see with Mckellen playing dumbledore is that it gives people even more reason to compare harry potter and lord of the rings (which i dont really think should be compared)

yes i see everyones point that he will always be gandalf in peoples mind, but then make up and costume are amazing things.....

it is very sad about Richard Harris but i dont agree with kingrichard, you cant just leave the scenes with dumbledore out, hte movies have been ruined enough with plot changes that entirely removing one of the main characters will be a disaster.
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: December 29, 2002 12:51
Hello KoV, I see you are a Lucius fancier too!!! Welcome...
KeeperofVilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2002 06:27
Oh yeah.... Snape and Lucius.... swooooooooooooooooooooon :love::love::love:
drooooooooooooooooooooool :drool::drool::drool:
thud thud thud thud thud thud :blush::blush::blush:
Nerwin_Artanis
Queen of the Night
Send Message
on: January 01, 2003 07:59
Dudeness KoV! You crack me up babe.
I too, love Snape and Lucius Malfoy, but I think the rest of the Potter fans might not appreciate it if we hijack their thread and make it a drool factory.

Anyway, that said...

I too, am a new Potterite. I recently read The Socerer's Stone (or the Philosopher's Stone, heh), and loved it! I don't see how on earth anyone can compare LOTR and HP. They're two different things entirely, but I love them both for their own merits.
I intend to watch the two films that are out after I've read The Chamber of Secrets, I don't know why, but I think it's important to me to get the full effect of reading HP before I see it. Maybe cause k keeps telling me the movies are crud.
I would love to see Sir Ian as Dumbledore, just because I don't know of any other actor appropriate for the role (a famour actor, anyway.) Sir Ian is such an awesome actor, and he can change his voice and appearance to such a degree that I don't think we'd really have to worry about thinking "Gandalf" every time we saw him onscreen. It would just be another testiment to his acting, and I for one, would love to see him have a chance to pull it off.
Mairwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2003 10:45
I suppose I should have posted here before but I never got around to it. I'm a huge Potter fan, I've only been one for about a year though, ever since I got so fed up with everyone going on about it so much that I gave in and read the books for myself and fell in love with everything about them.

I loved the films. I thought the second was a lot better than the first but that doesn't mean that the first one was bad by any means. My favourite character is Ron and I think that the little (or as I should say now the not so little) Rupert is doing an excellent job. I've got high hopes for the next film even though the brilliant Richard Harris has now sadly left us. I'm sure they'll pick right person to carry on as Dumbledore, all those I know of that have been considered are fine actors and as far as I'm concerned would be well suited to the role. As for the part of Lupin would love to see Ewan Mcgregor (one of my most favourite actors) in the role though I think that Ralph Fiennes would also be a good choice.
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: January 01, 2003 12:59
I heard that Harris's body double can do a very good impersonation of the man himself, and that they were probably going to use him for the rest of the movies...
Can't tell you how true this one might be though...
whittyb
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2003 11:41
Hello Lozza.
I heard that Dan was in Sydney with his parents a week ago.
Snape and Lucius rule!
Lucius kicks @$$!
And I heard there using computers to bring Harris back with the help of the double.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: January 02, 2003 05:24
ack i hope they dont do the computer thing... i mean the technology is good but not that good i think.

i think they should just give up and either use his double entirely or get a different actor other programmes and films have had to change people in them between sequals and as long as htey are both good actors i dont think it will be that much of a problem.
Elbereth_Jones
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2003 02:31
Hmm, that's odd. I was quite sure that the MacKellan for Dumbledore thing (yes that sounds like a political campaign ) was true, read it in quite a few places. :dizzy: A bit confused here. Although if they did cast him in that role I could see why it would bug people. Then everyone would always compare the two, like me with Count Dooku in Star Wars and Saruman.

I'm something of a Harry Potter fan. I've read the books, and I saw the first movie. I like them well enough. I'd have seen COS but it was between that and TTT so you know which one I chose.
whittyb
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2003 10:13
haha I know i dont think there graphics are that good yet.

And Ian said officially he hasnt been approached for the role.
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: January 09, 2003 01:22
Oh, whew! I'm not the only one who likes Lucius. Yay! Thought I was all alone.....
Idril_Telparien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2003 01:09
Big massive Harry Potter fan
I always thought Mr Orlando Bloom would make a goof Sirus Black
Elbereth_Jones
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2003 03:28
Hmmm. Never thought of Orli as Sirius... But Ewan McGregor would be a great Lupin. :drool: :drool:
Elinor
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2003 08:53
OKAY, BIG NEWS HERE!!!

I'm not sure if it's the same for the rest of the world - but it has just been announced in the UK that 'Order of the Phoenix', the fifth HP book, is going to be released on 21st June 2003. Believe me this is not a rumour, it was said by the publishers and was on the news and everything! Note down on calenders everyone.

I've only just realised that I've never actually visited the Palantir before. I had no idea there was such a popular HP following here. I personally adore the books, hated the first film, thought the second one was alright, and am dying to read the next installment. Ron rules!!!
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: January 15, 2003 08:59
welcome to hagrids hut elinor... being the suspicous person i am i had to go check for myself about the book.

newsround is a program on BBC (thats english tv) and its very reliable heres what they say book 5

YAY i cant wait i wonder when it will be out on paperback
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: January 15, 2003 09:03
warning spoiler for fith book

heres what the BBC say the opening lines for the fith book are...

The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive.

The only person left outside was a teenage boy who was lying flat on his back in a flowerbed outside number four.

heres some later text

Dumbledore lowered his hands and surveyed Harry through his half-moon glasses.

'It is time,' he said, 'for me to tell you what I should have told you five years ago, Harry.

Please sit down. I am going to tell you everything.'

hmmm very odd beginning... i wonder what happened adn who the boy is.

and as to the other bit perhaps dumbledore is finally telling harry the reason that voldemort tried to kill him!!!! yay
Nerwin_Artanis
Queen of the Night
Send Message
on: January 15, 2003 02:50
Oooooh! Good news indeed! :love: :love: :love: :love:

I dunno Idril, I think Orli's a bit young for Sirius. I'm not sure if I can think of any fanous actors who would be right for that role...however, I do like Ewan McGregor (just like every other girl here) for Lupin. I actually kind of imagined Lupin looking like Ewan anyway.

And now, we get to the question I opened the thread to ask....all you ladies out there who adore Draco Malfoy....would you like to take a stab at explaining what you see in the little snake?
I don't get the massive Draco adoration club....I don't see the general attraction in him, but I'm told he's some sort of pre-teen sex god. :dizzy:
~GrimaAragornLegolas~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2003 09:30
The release date of June 21st for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix applys to Australia, Britian, U.S.A and canada. The new book is 768 pages long.
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: January 16, 2003 06:27
Nerwin - I am not a member of the Draco fan club, but I do rather like Lucius. Why? Jason Isaacs was perfect. I saw COS before I read the book and thought the guy was quite SEXY. Had I read the books first I might not have like him as much. As for possible reasons why girls like Draco, he is definately and Alpha Male, like Harry but Harry doesn't show it as much. A little evil perhaps, but still and alpha male and girls seem to really like that.
eldir
Mirkwood Enigma
Send Message
on: January 16, 2003 07:18
I am not a member of the Draco fan club either-but I do think that Tom did a great job with him and it pains me that he hasn't got the publicity that the others have. I think that he deserved it.
But, come to think of it, I found something very funny about him taking the present in the Slytherin common room...
I think Lucius looks great too...:blush:
Nerwin_Artanis
Queen of the Night
Send Message
on: January 17, 2003 08:54
Oh Lucius! Yes, Jason Isaacs was wonderful, perfect for Lucius Malfoy. And yes, very sexy too (there's something about men who play evil characters almost universally that just....yow. Plus he truly IS handsome in his features.)

And yes, Tom Felton was good as Draco (actually, I haven't seen either of the movies, so I wouldn't REALLY know: I only think I know from previews, reviews, and looks.) I just don't see the attraction.
KeeperofVilya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2003 10:36
Yeah I'm sooooooo happy ! I should be getting my hands on the first book on Thurday of next week ! The library at the college has it and I am next on the waiting list for it ! :love:

*is soooooo excited*
Nerwin_Artanis
Queen of the Night
Send Message
on: January 17, 2003 02:35
Oh KoV! You'll love them! Be sure to go ahead and place a hold on the next book. You'll be hooked, and after you finish The Sorcerer's Stone, you'll be chomping at the bit to read The Chamber of Secrets. And then The Prisoner of Azkaban! And then The Goblet of Fire! And then...The Order of the Phoenix! But of course, we have to wait until next summer to read that. :cry:

They're all so good. *looks dreamy* Remember to savour every word, every chapter...for you can only read a book for the first time once!
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: January 17, 2003 07:34
Oh KoV you should have just brought them. My sister and I did otherwise we would have been waiting 8 years for them to be available at the library. There is a really good deal in oz atr the moment HP books are going for less than $10 each. We usually pay $25+ for paperbacks.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: January 18, 2003 04:59
i havent even dared to look at the list of reservations for harry potter 5- i should imagine there is a 5 year waiting list or something...... i so dont want to buy the hardback cus then my collection wont match (yeah i know im sad) but i dont think i could wait an extra six months for the paperback.... *sigh* i guess i could persuade a friend to buy it and then borrow it ...... hee hee now to find myself a friend to convert to harry potter :evil::evil::evil:
Elbereth_Jones
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2003 07:48
Dram.... I'd look into reserving the fifth book first thing when we get it at the school library except that school will be out at that time. Ugh. This makes things more complicated.

Anyway number 1. I still want Ewan McGregor :drool: as Remus Lupin.

2. What was everyone's favorite HP book? I'd probably have to say Prisoner of Azkaban. I loved that one, loved the Marauders, that one was definitely my favorite. Then probably Goblet of Fire.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: January 20, 2003 02:23
i loved the prisoner of azkaban best as well.... i loved meeting remus and sirius for the first time, it was just a really good read.

the maurauders were great- you should check out naisubonnas fan art (link in the links thread) she does some pics of the young maurauders...very good.

i hope we get to see more of the maurauders...

Hiriledhel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2003 07:10
POA is my favorite as well. It just had the most unbelievable revelations and was a fun read.

I ordered HPOP last week off of Amazon.uk.net. I really wanted the non-abridged version (it's horrible, the differences between the UK and US versions of the books), and it's worth the extra effort to try and get it.
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: January 20, 2003 01:51
They really change the US version???
We have the british publication here.
I loved POA too. TPS was good but I think that was because it was the first one and it was a bit of a novelty. I certainly wouldn't say that it was the best written. I think that GOF was the best written one (so far). Poor Cedric :cry:
I rather liked him, he was cool for a Hufflepuff.
Nerwin_Artanis
Queen of the Night
Send Message
on: January 20, 2003 02:18
Poor Cedric indeed! I cried when Dumbledore spoke about him at the feast... :cry:
I think either Prisoner of Azkaban or Goblet of Fire is my favourite. I love the length of GoF, the longer the better with those books! But I also love Lupin to death....
So I guess they're tied. The first two are good as well, of course...but I think the books just keep getting better as they go along. Can't wait for the next one! Aaaah! :love:
Ladyhawke
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2003 08:21
How can you pick just one book?! They're all so great!

I liked the second movie better than the first, but they should have had more of Snape in the movie. Well, maybe I'm biased, I luv Alan Rickman:love:. Jason Issaks (Lucius Malfoy) was great and so was Kenneth Brannagh (Gilderoy Lockhart)

Well, I went and saw the CoS movie for the second time today and I noticed something interesting.

WARNING, SPOILER for those who have not read the fourth book.
We know that Snape was a death eater like Lucius, but Snape went over to the good side. Lucius and him should not be on friendly terms with one another, right? Then why in the 2nd movie are they sitting together like friends at the Quidditch match? :dizzy:
Can anyone help me figure this out? Is the answer really obvious and I'm just not thinking straight? (I tend to do that). Ayone have an idea?
whittyb
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2003 12:45
yeah its coming out in June, im so excited!!!!!!!
Ive read the HP series 22 times and ive been waiting for so long! yes and its nearly all over now!
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email