Register

<< First5657585960
Author Topic:
Rebecca_C
CoE Volunteer & Weeper of Nienna
Send Message
Post RE: Hagrid's Hut - For all Harry Potter discussion- Movies & Books
on: July 23, 2007 06:27
Then write one, Linwe! I'm serious, I might have a go, anyway. I do prefer fanfic than trying to think of an idea of my own!
Lupin and Tonks... That was really sad... I've cried during parts of the last three books, but that was the worst, along with Sirius.
And I can see why Harry later says Snape was 'the bravest man I ever knew'.
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2007 07:42
*squeaks* The thread's open again! :disco:

May I just say that I loved Neville in this one? :love: He's amazing.

And Mrs. Weasley cussing out Bellatrix and then...well...you know. I was amazed and surprised.
Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2007 01:01
Yeah I know...I didn't think her capable of such thing...I always though Mrs. Weasly funny, but quite uncapable of anything like that...I was wrong, I see.

And you're right Michaela, Neville! Like at first he's the really clumsy boy and then he becomes this great leader.

I don't know if I'll write a fanfic, Becky, I don't normally write that kind of thing, but we'll see.
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: July 23, 2007 02:37
I have to say, this book made me adore Snape even more. I was always a big proponent of the Snape loves Lily theory (and thereby, he's not evil) anyway, so to have it turn out to be true made me very happy I just wish that he had had a more heroic death; it was sort of a letdown, IMO, the way that he went out. Still, The Prince's Tale is probably one of my favorite chapters in the entire series...it explains so much, and just really gives us so much insight into the character.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2007 03:32
I was fairly sure that Snape had been in love with Lily...it just made sense, why he hated both James and, later, Harry so much. Although I *did* think he was evil...I was wrong there. I was also wrong about Harry being a Horcrux...BUT I was right about Regulus Black, Kreacher, and Mundungus.

So, the fanfic I was talking about in the FE room...I did write it out, it ended up being a bit more shippy (N/L, I've always thought it was cute) than I had planned, though. Basically, it was inspired by a quote from the epilogue: "Outside, yeah, but at school he's Professor Longbottom, isn't he? I can't walk into Herbology and give him love..."

I was very happy when I read that line. I would have cheered if it hadn't been 5:30 in the morning.... of course, I also would have sobbed hysterically when Fred died ( :cry: ), but I was too tired to hurt. I've been reading it again and I got so upset reading the whole grave-digging scene... :sob:

This is interesting, these predictions are from several months ago.... Who I think is going to die: Voldemort, Snape (a goner), Bellatrix, Peter, Lupin, at least one Weasley, Hagrid maybe, McGonagall, possibly Harry. Probably not all these people really will die, though. But my money's on LV, Peter, Lupin, and one Weasley.

Voldemort: DEAD! "Old Voldy's gone moldy, so let's have some fun!"
Snape: Dead. Although it turns out he was good...which made it sad...poor little!Snape...
Bella: DEAD! GO MRS. WEASLEY!
Peter: DEAD! Weird death scene...
Lupin: DEAD!
One Weasley: DEAD! :cry: :sob: No more Double Trouble! *breaks down completely into tears*
Hagrid: NOT DEAD, YAY!
McGonagall: NOT DEAD, YAY!
Harry: NOT DEAD, YAY!

[Edited on 24/7/2007 by Michaela]

[Edited on 24/7/2007 by Michaela]
SeenZ
The Voice in Aragorn`s Head
Send Message
on: July 23, 2007 09:29
Oh this is my favourite HP book! OK, maybe second fav.. I still love Prisoner of Azkaban I knew Snape was good!! I knew it!! Yayy :disco: But I agree with you Rivka, he should've died fighting. That was sort of a let down.

I cried when Moody died :cry: But worse still was Fred :sob: The Weasley twins were always my favourite And Snape, of course. Big hug for Snape :hug: Neville was awesome!! Three cheers! And Percy finally saw sense

It's sad Lupin and Tonks don't get to raise their child

I really hated Ron going off again He should've stuck by them.

I really feel sad about Snape... everyone hated him when he died... and he couldn't tell them the truth He was really brave... a true hero. JKR should've put in his funeral or something... where everyone remembers him.

Anyway, it's a very good book, in my opinion. Much better than OOTP and HBP, which were not upto JKR's standard. My opinion only, please don't throw stuff at me

And so it ends... no more HP to look forward to Ah well.
Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2007 03:15
Yeah I know isn't it weird? Like there will be no more speculation for the next book, because there is no next book.:cry:

But Snape...It's been two days since I've finished the book and I'm still shocked. Really all the characters should have known about him, not just Harry. And he should have had a big burrial...with a shrine for his bravery. Because with Harry, I think he's the bravest character in all 7 books. (I never thought I'd say this, but it's true)
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2007 05:27
Well, today I'm wearing odd socks, in memoriam. Really seriously odd socks...one is red patterned with blue and pink...things, and the other is bright pink striped with purple, yellow, and green. Poor Dobby...so sad! I didn't cry the first time I read it, probably because it was about two in the morning, but when I read it over again I nearly started crying. Fred was worse... :sob: I think I might make myself a Weasley's Wizard Wheezes shirt now.

I think my brother has the book, so I can't continue reading. I had just finished the gravedigging scene... :cry:

And it IS weird that there's not going to be another book. I'll probably end up developing a fanfiction obsession to tide me over.

There were so many good quotes in this book, though! Unfortunately, most of the ones I can remember involve curse words that are a bit more than I should use. Speaking of which - what about Mrs. Weasley? To use my brother's word - "Ownage!"

Oh, here's one:

"We did it, we bashed 'em, wee Potter's the one,
Now Voldy's gone moldy, so let's have some fun!"

Peeves, Peeves...
Hermy
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2007 06:14
I am glad I was not the only one up until all hours of the morning on Sunday finishing the book. I loved it. When I received it (in the mail - I live in a rural area) I have to admit I didn't touch it because I knew this was it and I didn't want to end it right away.
Ah Snape! I felt like it seemed like he hated himself for killing Dumbledore, but this? Now I know what was so sad about his worst memory. And now I understand his behavior. Would Harry be the nicest in protecting a child of say - Ginny and Malfoy - I think not. And all this time he kept it all a secret, that's a tough thing to do. A fan club would be in order for our saintly Severus.
I like the fact that even though Harry does many things himself, he was never alone, unlike Voldamort. He didn't even destroy all the horcruxes himself. It was more proof that he was not like Voldamort even when they were so alike.
There were so many parts that were sad, and nostalgic. It was really nice to have reminders of where Harry had been during our journey with him.
I going to have to defend Ron, though. If we know Ron, we know he can be a bit of a sulky git, and he's always been the weakest (for lack of a better word) of the three. If anyone was tempted by the horcrux, it was him. I have my symbolisms of that time, and how many of us would not want to leave? Voldamort, like other evil characters we know, knew what to say to make Ron so crazy. I don't condone the act, it upset me because I like Ron, but I also understood his character . And knew he would see the error of his ways and come back, as he has done before. I thought Hermoine was going to forgive him too, and to see her so mad at him was a funny, and he did deserve it.
I am in mourning for all the wonderful characters that were lost Hedwig, (I thought Hagrid was a gonner too), Mad Eye, Dobby, Lupin, Tonks, Colin, Fred, Snape, along with many others. When you are fighting for the good side dying is nessesary to achieve the "greater good."
There is too much to say as there was so much in the story, so many realizations and revalations within it. It was a fitting end to a great series and I love every book in the series.
Hermy
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2007 06:23
Just had another thought. I was really disappointed that Tralawney or her predictions were not even heard in the new book. At first I thought she was an old fraud, but she was a 'Cassandra.' No one ever believed her, yet she was always somehow right. In thinking about it, I think she was right all along, but who was she really predicting for Harry or his connection (the horcrux of Voldamort)? She says all these things that relate to Voldamort, that everyone thinks is wrong for Harry. I don't know, but it's interesting...
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2007 06:48
Hmm, yeah...I was curious as to whether Neville would ever find out about the prophecy, but when Trelawney never showed up (except for cracking Fenrir on the head with the crystal ball...) I kinda figured he wouldn't, or at least not until MUCH later in life.

What about McGonagall and her army of DESKS?
Rebecca_C
Send Message
on: July 24, 2007 08:58
Gotta love McGonagall! You're right there, Micha I thought her chess set (1st book) was great as well.
And I totally love Neville now as well- 'I'll join you when Hell freezes over!' Great One of my all time fav quotes, along with the Weasley twins' 'Giver her hell from us, Peeves!' from OotP.
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2007 09:28
"CHARGE!" and then what was it...? "Yes, Peeves, you fool! Peeves! Haven't you been complaining about him for a quarter of a century?"

And the joining when Hell freezes over...that quote was great.
Hermy
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2007 09:48
Neville's the best! He's come a long way from the timid little boy that lost his toad and kept forgetting the house password. I thought he should have known something of the prophecy,but it seemed as though he, too, fufilled in a way, killing the snake. He needed something to fight for and he rose to the occation.
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2007 03:10
I know! :love: He was amazing...it even made up for the lack-of-anybody-but-the-trio for such a long time. I didn't even think there would be much of a resistance at Hogwarts until they talked about them breaking into Snape's office, but then I had hope again.

Oh, in today's news...J.K. Rowling confirmed that yes, she WILL write a Harry Potter encyclopedia. She also identified the character who was given the reprieve from dying in DH... Arthur Weasley, who, apparently, had originally been slated to die in book five.
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
on: July 24, 2007 05:48
I finished the book early Sunday as well, and then I sat down and reread the last three chapters.
I really enjoyed it. I've always loved Snape, and I always felt that he was protecting Harry. I was very sad at the loss of Fred, Dobby, and the others. I only cried at the Fred and Dobby deaths. I was so glad to see Neville playing such a large part in the story.
Now I'm going to read all seven of the books again!
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2007 07:32
As I'm sharing my copy of the book, (and being the more patient of the sharers, heheh!) I haven't read the whole book yet.

But thanks to Rivka & Seen's posts, I flipped directly to "The Prince's Tale," and I couldn't believe what I was reading. Since she created Lupin & Sirius in "Azkaban," Rowling has, (like Snape ) concealed the best part of herself from her readers. Like Seen, I didn't think much of "Order of the Phoenix" and "Half Blood Prince." But with this book, I'm glad that the author has once again found the courage to write at length about the good side of a character, despite the current unfashionableness of goodness!

[Edited on 26/7/2007 by pv]
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
ABagginsOfTheShire
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 27, 2007 12:14
Finished the book yesterday... I could have finsihed it earlier, but I basically stopped reading for a day after Remus and Tonks died. The rest of the deaths were tragic, yes, and I sobbed my heart out at each one of them, but Remus and Tonks was hands down the worst. Firstly, because Remus was finally, finally, happy, after basically a lifetime of grief. Even Harry noticed it, when Ted was born, that Remus looked younger and happier than he had ever seen him. Remus went through a lot in this book - that scene where he fought was heartbreaking for me, because it basically showed how he never expected, or even wanted, to fall in love and become a father, for the fear of what he would do to those that he loved most. His life was so sad, he had lost all his friends in one night, lost one of them again, and was continually self-loathing due to an affliction that was in no way his fault. When he did marry and have a son, he was the happiest he had ever been, just so deliriously happy. And to kill him after all that, was terrible. At least they died doing what was right, not what was easy.
Secondly, even if they did have to die, the way their deaths were shown were so under-done. Nobody was shown really mourning then, nobody. Sure it was sad that Fred died, but Remus and Tonks basically only had each other, so nobody truly mourned their death. That would have been alright if we had seen their deaths actually happening, seen how they died for each other as a final act of love. But even that wasn't shown... the only thing that was done was Harry saying once or twice how he was thinking about, "Fred, Lupin and Tonks dead," but frankly that wasn't good enough for me.
The only thing that redeemed it slightly for me was when Lupin was temporarily brought back by the Resurrection Stone, and Harry apologised to him, and Remus got to tell him how it was okay.
Seriously, though, I would love to know the whos, the where's, the whens and basically more of the details of their deaths, what their reactions were to seeing each other in danger. And the fact is, that Jo Rowling wasn't originally going to kill them, but when Arthur Weasley got a reprieve, Lupin and Tonks got their deaths. I did have an inkling that they might die when Harry was named Godfather, though. Also, the thing is, that Wormtail got more respect in death that Remus did.
And if it was Dolohov that killed Lupin, then Flitwick is my hero for killiing Dolohov.

Anyway, enough about them... it really was a great book. The Lupin/Harry fighting scene, Dobby's, Fred's, Lupin's and Tonks' deaths all brought tears to my eyes, but the last page took me a good few minutes to read because each sentence sent me sobbing. Felt sorry for George at Fred's death, he must truly feel like he's lost a part of himself.

The last chapter was lovely. Just beautiful.
Anyways, I might read it again after a while and then think of more things to say... R.I.P Remus and Tonks.

[Edited on 27/7/2007 by ABagginsOfTheShire]
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: July 27, 2007 03:27
Wrote a review kind of thing in my journal, so I'm not going to repeat myself (if you'd like to read it, it's here), but I simply can't believe how good it was. Brilliant.
Rebecca_C
Send Message
on: July 27, 2007 09:21
ABotS- I'll mourn Remus and Tonks! I've loved both ever since their first books... And Sirius as well, to be fair. It wasn't just me who felt they could have had more recognition, then

So Mr. Weasley was meant to die in the snake attack, then? I'm glad he didn't... Poor George, that would be cruel to lose a father and a twin. We might have seen a bit more of Molly's fighting spirit though, I did enjoy her duel with Bella. Does anyone else think Helena Bonham Carter was the best choice to play her? Great characer really I wish Neville had been able to have some revenge on her though. She's one of the ones that you love to hate, if that makes sense.

So why was there so much emphasis on Dumbledore's history? It didn't really help Harry to find the Horcruxes... I'm glad I finally found out how his nose got broken though

Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2007 04:56
I finished Monday, after a stressful weekend of work and wanting to read. It's the best of all the books! Rowling fulfilled all my expectations this time, and more.

Really, the only thing that annoyed me was Ron constantly putting his arm around Hermione and saying, "Hermione, you're the best." "Good thinking!" "Wow. You're amazing Hermione." Harry too. Hermione can take care of her own self esteem, thank you very much.

I started to cry in the beginning when Hagrid fell off the motercycle, and I thought for sure he was gone. I'd been predicting that all along, and I love Hagrid so much. So, thank you JK Rowling for sparing the sword (or wand) for his sake! The part that did bring tears to my eyes, though, was when Harry & Co. visted Xenophilius Lovegood and Harry looked up and saw the mural painted on Luna's ceiling. (the little gold chains that were really long strings of the word "friends" repeated over and over) A little odd, considering all the deaths in the book, but that scene just hit something deep inside. :heart:

The infiltration of the Ministry was another fabulous chapter. The toilet portholes were ingenius. I also laughed out loud when Harry (disguised as a pretty hardcore Death Eater or someone of the like) said, "I've had a change of heart" after rescuing the Mudblood lady who protested that he was the one who turned her in to the Ministry in the first place!

There were great funny moments, and even greater messages. Until this book, I don't think I would have called myself a real Potter fan. Now I'm caught for good!
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2007 03:10
Well, I’ve read the rest of the book now, and I wish I hadn’t.

There are some authors who give you an insight into your own life, and these I admire. There are others who unashamedly cater to the public’s desire for blood, gore and cheap thrills. These I have no quarrel with. But when someone belonging to the first category chooses to morph herself into the second, I think that’s an absolutely criminal waste of talent.

At her best, Rowling is capable of examining the real problems of real people with moving intensity. With characters like Harry (in the first book) or Snape, Rowling explores what’s it’s like to be a reject, an outsider; what it’s like to be the target of the neighbourhood bully. With Sirius Black, and Percy Weasley, she explores the difficulties of being different from the rest of your family, in either a positive or negative way. With Dementors and Boggarts, she explores the psychology of depression and fear, and shows her readers that something as simple as a bar of chocolate or a positive thought can chase away such terrors. With Lupin, she explores the problems of a good person who is made into a social outcaste through no fault of his own. And with this character, she also explores the painful insecurity of a parent who wants to give his child his best, but feels hopelessly inadequate to the point at which abandoning that child seems the only solution. With Snape, she also explores what it’s like to be the product of an unhappy marriage and to find yourself unattractive to someone you love.

Why does an author who is capable of speaking to her readers in such a meaningful way, decide to do that no longer, and waste her time instead, conjuring up cheap thrills and horrors to entertain the more hard-boiled, cynical section of her audience?

Rowling’s reasons are best known to herself.
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: July 28, 2007 03:40
I'd like to hear more about what disappointed you, pv.

There are definitely things that disappointed me in the book, especially on a second read-through. Many of the deaths seemed like cheap thrills (I'd rather she had gone for quality versus quantity, if that makes sense), and I'm still very upset over how she seems to have pushed Snape to the wayside, both with the lack of general scenes, and his death. Yes, "The Prince's Tale" was very touching, but I guess I was expecting more, considering that he and Harry have been at loggerheads for the previous 6 books...and yet we get zero reaction from Harry at this major revelation that the man he's hated and despised for years has actually been working for his good. Yeah, he named his kid after him, but I was hoping for more. Sometimes I wonder if Rowling was concerned over the furor of interest in Snape after HBP, and decided that she needed to cut his role significantly in the next book, so he wouldn't take away from her "real" hero.

And the epilogue was ridiculous, in my opinion. I wanted to see some funerals, and get some closure from all those deaths. That epilogue did not do it for me.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
ABagginsOfTheShire
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 28, 2007 04:32
Well, yes, the epilogue was just dripping with cheese, and I too would have liked some closure to the deaths of the some of the characters. But the final page of the final book is one helluva important page to write, and if she had gone with the latter and given all the characters funerals and the like, then the last page would have just been things like, "And Harry looked around at all of the people he loved most, and was thankful that he had finally rid himself of his nemesis". (okay, so I can't write like Rowling, but you get the idea ). Not to mention she would have had to have explicitly mentioned how Harry and Ginny get back together, probably with a lot of snogging and hugging and smelling-of-Ginny's-hair to go along with it. The way she did the epilogue worked better in that it shows that Harry achieved everything he wanted to achieve (he got Ginny, a happy family, Ron and Hermione got together, he rid himself of Voldemort for life, and he took good care of Teddy Lupin), and she didn't have to resort to scenes like the aforementioned. Granted, it was cheesy, and it didn't offer any real closure to many of our beloved characters, but it did work well in ways that the alternative might not have.

I'd rather she had gone for quality versus quantity, if that makes sense

Absolutely. I felt this most strongly with Remus and Tonks (see my previous, long-winded yet heartfelt post ). Their death was just done so... matter-of-factly. "Oh and Remus and Tonks were lying on the ground, sorta like they we're sleeping." I don't know what she thought she could achieve by killing of more characters in a more, i dunno, blaaze fashion, instead of killing less but making their deaths poignant and worthwhile, but oh well. That's for her to know and... for us to complain about.

Like Rivka said, I too would have liked a bit more about Harry's reactions to the revaltation of Snape having been a good man. Sure, his chld was named after him, and the whole line about him being the "bravest man [Harry] ever knew" (not verbatim, but something like that), but I wouldn't have minded seeing at least a little bit of the shock he must have felt right after finding it out.

I'd also like to hear more of your thoughts as to why you didn't like it, pv... you hit the targets spot on with your character insights. Because these characters, though they live in a world so different to ours, showed so many marks of being human, that's what really, really hurt when they died. But yeah, I'd definitely like to know your reasons for you disliking the book so much.

I thought Hagrid was a gonner too, especially since he's lying on the ground and then you turn the page, and the next chapters called, "A Fallen Warrior".

I want to re-read it, but I always find it so hard to read a book when I know that the characters are going to die. It's always, "Gosh, look at how happy he is now, and he only has a year to live, poor thing"...

And I still haven't tallied up my predictions, but they were quite atrociously bad.
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2007 05:48
I'd like to hear more about what disappointed you, pv.
As this is a Potter fan forum, I thought that the less said about that, the better! But since you asked, here goes...

The things that disappointed me were pretty much the same things that disappointed you.

I'd rather she had gone for quality versus quantity, if that makes sense

I know exactly what you mean. As you read the first book, you get a picture in your head of a little boy gazing wistfully into the mirror of Erised at an image of loving parents. In this book, Rowling explores with great sensitivity what it means to have never known your parents. But by the time we get to the last book, I can only echo the words of Peeves the poltergeist:

Oh Rowling you rotter, oh what have you done?
You’re killing off characters, you think it’s good fun!

she seems to have pushed Snape to the wayside

Not just Snape – she also pushed Sirius, Lupin and Dumbledore to the wayside. Rowling, being a fan of Jane Austen, appears to suffer from a severe case of Jane Austen-itis. Many literary critics have noticed that Jane Austen was only interested in her characters as long as they had a problem. Once the problem was solved, it was “Goodbye reader – End of book!” Similarly, Rowling seems to have intended Harry to suffer right through the entire series. If any well-meaning character threatened to make him happy in any way, out he would have to go.

Sometimes I wonder what form a boggart would take, if it appeared to JK Rowling the writer. My guess is that it would take the form of this word. Let us examine this word, “cheesy.” According to the Urban Dictionary, it means “sentimental, maudlin, melodramatic, corny.” It also means “unsubtle, and inauthentic.” This word makes most modern writers break out in a cold sweat, for fear that it may be used against them.

As you read Rowling’s books, you see her fear of this boggart crop up again and again...

What if Harry started to live happily ever after with Sirius?
No, that would be cheesy.
With Lupin then?
Nah, that would be cheesier.
How about Snape?
That would be cheesiest of all.
But couldn't you at least allow him a few days with Snape...?
Who's the moron asking these dumb questions?

So RIP Sirius, Lupin, Snape and Dumbledore. It was nice knowing you!

When JK Rowling was asked (some years ago) which of her books was her favourite, she answered that her favourite was "Azkaban," because it had Lupin in it. This, to me, is an indication that had she followed her creative instincts, she would have gone on from Azkaban to write books that were even better, if she'd had a different kind of fan following.

But unfortunately, her fan following consists largely of outwardly tough youths who pepper the message boards of the world with the word "cheesy" every time they come across a remotely sentimental moment in her books. (They also probably enjoy these moments in the privacy of their own rooms, but would never admit this in public!)

Being human, Rowling has tried harder and harder to please them. She has, as a result become a much poorer writer, because huge areas of human experience have been rendered out of bounds to her by her fans, whose view of life may be summed up as follows :

"I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain."
(Paul Simon)

If Rowling had been tempted to allow Harry a few days to make friends with Snape before he died, she probably abandoned the idea, correctly judging that a scene that explored their mutual affection would horrify her fans. (And that mutual affection definitely does exist - Harry expresses disgust at the way his father bullied Snape, and Snape expresses anger at Dumbledore, for having raised Harry like an animal for the slaughter.) So Rowling limited her exposition of Harry's feelings to a passing mention of the fact that he named his son after Snape. But just the other day, I came across someone who said to me, "He named his son after Snape! How obvious! How cheesy!"

Now that the Harry Potter saga is over and Rowling has paid her debt to her fans, I hope that she will continue to write. But I hope she'll write under an assumed name, and use this anonymity to write what she would truly like to write, without worrying about her fans' opinions any more.

you hit the targets spot on with your character insights.

Thank you!

[Edited on 30/7/2007 by pv]
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2007 05:18
I haven't read it yet, but just curious, is Sirus mentioned in there and what do they say about him and do they tell you what is behind the veil?
Rebecca_C
Send Message
on: August 03, 2007 10:51
Yes, Sirius' name is mentioned a few times but nothing majorly important... The reason why he died is to do with Harry's inheritance. Harry lives in Grimmauld Place for a while and the Burrow becomes OotP HQ. And also Kretcher who knew where the locket was but who would also never have told Sirius, so from a plot point of view Sirius' brother Regulus (RAB) has more words written about him than Sirius himself. The other of the two-way mirrors was stolen by Dung and ended up with Aberforth Dumbledore and that is very important because AD is able to help Harry a few times.
And no, we learn nothing more about the veil.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2007 10:59
Thanks for replying, sounds interesting, but I'm dissapointed we don't learn what is behind the viel.
~LadyOfEdoras~
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2007 06:37
dont want to spoil anything.have u all read HP#7???
i really liked the 5th movie!and u??
the fourth and 5,plusthe 7th are my FAV. HP books!!and u????????

M00N
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2007 10:57
Here in Holland we have to wait for the Dutch version to come out in December. No way I'm waiting that long and since my English is perfectly fine, I bought the English version. I really liked it though it is much darker than the others, hardly a children's book anymore.. And all the people that die!! OMG, what are you doing, JK?!!! *cries*
I believe she told in an interview last year that 2 of the main characters were gonna die. So after those first 2 (the ones who read it know what i mean), i was kinda relieved.. But obviously i was mistaking in the level of importance the character had to have bc everybody kept dropping like flies!! *is crying her heart out now* Of course it wasn't that bad, so if you haven't read it yet, start now!!
I really liked the final "chapter" (i dunno if you can really call it a chapter bc i don't think it is) It really makes some kind of peace come over you even though it's terribly predictable and a little cliché.
Anyways, it has good and bad sides, but i think it's definitely a must-read!!
~LadyOfEdoras~
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2007 09:20
yeah!I agree!!!!its a must read indeed!lol
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2007 12:40
I'm reading the 7th book and so far its great!
QueenPotato36_0
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2007 05:39
I read it,and it just break my heart,everything(my husband agrees with me)
We made at deal that which boy Hermione was gonna choose and I bet Harry/Hermione,but he bet Ron/Hermione;he won,naturally.

The book was amazing,I must say.
,but there were some things that dissapointed me:
Why Hermione was every 5 minutes crying?
Why Harry acted just like when he was 15(madness)?
Why Ron doesn't know what's a diadem?
Why Ginny didn't do anything amazing espectacular(Luna and Neville helped her while stealing the sword)by herself?
The characters that died this it went too far..Hedwig...Mad-eye...Fred...but WHY J.K.,WHY TONKS,REMUS AND SEVERUS,..WHY?!?! **screams like a desperate woman shocked by her love one dead**

And I didn't like that before the battle,every hecking character that appeared in the last books had to be at the battle,pointless,rather it was like a copy of another battle story:and Ronmione's kiss was also out of another story(declared love and kiss between the lovers in the middle of the war..,yep,already saw that)

My husband and I mourn over the fallen characters,may they rest in peace =´(.

The epilouge was a bit weird,but I LIKED Albus Severus,and I'm hoping for a new adventure with the new trio(Albus,Rose and Scorpius)(didn't the ending reminded it to someone like a manga series ending?(Digimon?)
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: October 05, 2007 10:44
i cried when fred, dobby, snape, and hedwig died, and when george lost his ear.
longbe4thesun
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2007 01:34
The characters that died this it went too far..Hedwig...Mad-eye...Fred...but WHY J.K.,WHY TONKS,REMUS AND SEVERUS,..WHY?!?! **screams like a desperate woman shocked by her love one dead**

I look at as: It's war. People who shouldn't die, who don't deserve to die, die in the heat of battle for a cause they believe in (in this case taking Voldy down). Bellatrix wanted to have some sort of justice for Nymphadora marrying Lupin (I mean, Voldemort even gloated to her and the Malfoys face about it), who also died so that his son could have a better life than he had. Mad Eye died protecting Harry on his way to The Burrow. Fred died fighting against a regime he opposed. War isn't fair, that's just the nature of the beast.
<< First5657585960
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email